The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Cha-based Martial character?

I want to make a Cha-centric (and as SAD as possible, with Dex as the second most important stat) melee build... So far, I'm basically thinking some combination of Battle Dancer (Cha to unarmored AC at level 1), Paladin/Avenger/Sentinel/whatever (Cha to saves), then some Crusader (maneuvers and Cha-based smiting), but I'm not sure how much Crusader to take, or what else to tack onto the build. Ideas?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Cha-based Martial character?

Crusader gives Cha to saves as well, though it doesn't stack with the Paladin's Divine Grace.
    3DS Friend Code: 4742-9573-4652

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Bard would get you Cha to Attack with light weapons (Snowflake Wardance) and qualify you for Arcane Duelist (Cha to AC and some nice conversion abilities). Feel free to refer X Stat to Y Bonus-thread.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Crusader gives Cha to saves as well, though it doesn't stack with the Paladin's Divine Grace.
    Crusader only gets to add CHA to will saves.
    "This is ridiculous. Worst birthday ever."
    —Lightning

5. - Top - End - #5

I'm especially looking for cool special abilities/class features that make use of Cha in some way (Smite is an example, but ideally something with a wider range of applications/more uses).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A range-focused Hexblade (google 'Mearls Hexblade Fix') with the Dark Companion ACF is at least worth consideration as a 4-level dip.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I had a wicked build somewhere, but I can't remember where. I think it got like 3x Cha to saves, 2x to armor, and like 1x to everythinig else
    The accuracy of this post is questionable

The Endless Dungeon

The Neverending Dungeon
    Spoiler
    Show

Renewal A fantasy/post-apocalyptic/new world setting WIP

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Paladin can get you limited Cha to an attack (Smite), Cha to damage for a round (Divine Might feat), Cha to saves or AC (ACF somewhere replaces Save bonus with AC bonus, I can't recall which book it is though). There's also the Stunning Surge enchantment, which can stun and its DC is based on your Cha (and # of times per day based on Cha also). The Marshal has a huge array of minor abilities that work off charisma, like bonus to Charge damage, reflex/will/fortitude saves, AC vs. AoOs, etc., and they're all auras, though you can only project one Minor aura at a time (Major auras aren't keyed to Charisma).
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Iajutsu Master gives Cha to AC while wielding a Katana.
    Current Avatar made by Pessimismrocks for the Battle for the little world - Fields of Blood game!

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Awesome Avatar made by Meirnon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    We took a thread that was supposed to be a diplomatic negotiation and first contact, and turned it into Darth Ghaeris' rampage...

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

10. - Top - End - #10

HalflingPirate

Marshal (1-3 level dip) gets some cool Cha based abilities.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

mmm not entirely martial but Cyran Avenger gives you a "smite" (cha to hit +1d6 damage) a number of times per day equal to your cha modifier... I don't remember exactly but I think you don't need casting to enter it (though it advances it by 4/5).

I think the "other killer gnome" (google it) made good use of cha... but I am not sure.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

The Hellreaver from Fiendish Codex II provides a pretty wide variety of bonuses fueled by Charisma. It's almost like a full BAB Charisma-based Factotum, but with more emphasis on stabbing evil beings to death than skills. It is a bit reversed though; instead of getting a fixed pool of points to spend on improving your attacks, damage, defenses and healing by an amount dependent on an attribute, you get a Charisma-based pool of points to spend on improving those things by fixed (if large) bonuses. You also get Mettle and a couple of abilities to really stick it to Evil Outsiders.
    Last edited by FMArthur; 2011-02-03 at 11:06 PM.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Gloura gets a huge Cha and Dex bonuses and adds Cha to saves and to AC (deflection). Add on some Bard levels to increase your racial spellcasting and to get Snowflake Wardance. Take Arcane Duelist, Dexterous Attack ability interacts with two-handed Power Attack in some unfair ways, plus its enchant chosen weapon ability can overcome DR/Epic long before you even hit 20th. Try to pick up Divine Power somehow (Arcane Disciple), preferably with a way to Persist it. Spelldancer from Magic of Faerun can do some Persistent Spell cheese and its feat prerequisites overlap with Arcane Duelist, though Bard spellcasting doesn't get 4th level spells until 10th level. You could go Gloura LA +2/ Fey HD 7/ Bard 2/ Spelldancer 1/ Arcane Duelist 10, assuming you can buy off the level adjustment. You would have to use flaws to get Arcane Disciple before 12th level, but otherwise it should make for an extremely capable character.

14. - Top - End - #14

Go for a Killoren bard. They get a racial smite attack (+CHA to hit against most creatures CHA/day) and qualify for Charming the Arrow (CHA instead of DEX to projectile attacks). Take Snowflake Wardance ASAP. At higher levels, you can also grab a Crystal Echoblade and/or Slippers of Battledancing. Whirling Blade is another CHA-based attack at a relatively early level. If you can go Bardblade and use the Lord of the Dance trick (persist or get a custom item of continuous Undersong, then use the CHA-based Perform instead of the CON-based Concentration for fun Diamond Mind stuff), so much the better.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    Come join the Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground E6 Appetizer Edition! We're currently judging for Round 20, so come join in and be taken as an authority figure whose opinions matter!

My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

SUEL ARCANAMACH! This is an awesome mini-gish PrC. The greatest part of it is that you can't get into it until after level 6 (assuming all full BAB classes), so you could stack on a few levels of Paladin for Cha to saves and Turn Undead (to power Cha based features), or levels of Hexblade for Cha to saves and Dark Companion, or some Battledancer, or whatever.

If you do take the Paladin levels to get Turn Undead, consider being Illumian. NaenHoon rune gets a pseudo Divine Metamagic. Take Persist Spell and for 12 TU attempts, you can make 2 spells persistant on you at all times. I'm currently using Shield and Wraithstrike on mine. Its pretty slick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

16. - Top - End - #16

If you haven't seen Dulcinea ... you need to. Binder-based CHA/DEX melee build.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I'm back to working on converting Red Hand of Doom to 5e.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Paladin 2/Marshal 2/Crusader X is an awesome charisma melee build.

18. - Top - End - #18

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiyamato View Post
    Int actually.

The cha gets applied to initiative (in addition to dex) and to each damage dice when rolling Iaijutsu damage.

Iaijutsu masters can really wreck monsters if they go first and/or have some other ways of making the enemy flat-footed. It's worth a 5 level dip and maxing out Iaijutsu Focus if you already have a cha based martial type.
    Been there, fought that, died horribly.

Something fun and flavorful to get your DM throwing books at you: Katana Chucker

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiyamato View Post
    No, it does not.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    If you haven't seen Dulcinea ... you need to. Binder-based CHA/DEX melee build.
    Ah, Dulcinea - another marriage of fluff and crunch to remind me why I love it here so much

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Quote Originally Posted by gogogome View Post
    Cheers to Psyren the MVP "naysayer".
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Ah, Dulcinea - another marriage of fluff and crunch to remind me why I love it here so much
    Dulcinea might have lost it's 'best score' place, but it's still the most notorious of IC builds, it seems.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    Dulcinea might have lost it's 'best score' place, but it's still the most notorious of IC builds, it seems.
    A mechanically-sound build with an amazing write-up becoming famous? In MY Playground?

It's more likely than you think

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Quote Originally Posted by gogogome View Post
    Cheers to Psyren the MVP "naysayer".
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lvl 1 sharnian View Post
    I had a wicked build somewhere, but I can't remember where. I think it got like 3x Cha to saves, 2x to armor, and like 1x to everythinig else
    3 levels in Eldeen Ranger (Greensingers) will give you Cha to saves that stacks with Divine Grace, and Hexblade will give Cha to saves against spells.
    AC... not sure if Battle Dancer stacks with Monk using Ascetic Mage. If it doesn't, being incorporeal, being Gloura or a couple other races, and a few spells can do it.
    A level in Marshall can add Cha to pretty much anything with the proper aura.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

24. - Top - End - #24

Uh, Rogue.

Feint.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll second (third?) support for adding Marshal to the mix. Just make sure you pick auras that have good synergy with your build. Accurate Strike is good if you have an 18-20 crit range weapon and Improved Critical, for instance. Motivate Charisma makes a good combo with demoralize. And if you're making a Charisma-based martial character, why not trick out your demoralize ability?
    Settings: Weird West
    Work in Progress: Fulcrum

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
    I want to make a Cha-centric (and as SAD as possible, with Dex as the second most important stat) melee build... So far, I'm basically thinking some combination of Battle Dancer (Cha to unarmored AC at level 1), Paladin/Avenger/Sentinel/whatever (Cha to saves), then some Crusader (maneuvers and Cha-based smiting), but I'm not sure how much Crusader to take, or what else to tack onto the build. Ideas?
    What level are you starting at?

To be completely SAD, go with some of these (and I like to sorcerer gish in a build like this):
    Classes:
    - Battledancer 1
    - Arcane Duelist 2
    - Paladin 2

Items:
    - Slippers of Battledancing
    Last edited by Aspenor; 2011-02-04 at 04:02 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

Starting at level 1. I'm definitely going for melee over ranged, and I love ToB, so Crusader is a plus. In a perfect world, I'd play some sort of Cha-based Unarmed Swordsage, but sadly, that's a tough build to make work.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Starting at level 1. I'm definitely going for melee over ranged, and I love ToB, so Crusader is a plus. In a perfect world, I'd play some sort of Cha-based Unarmed Swordsage, but sadly, that's a tough build to make work.
    Ahh, too bad. Can't fit the Slippers into a level 1 character's budget...Charisma to-hit and damage instead of strength would be good for a CHA SAD melee.

Maybe even toss some Bard in and take Snowflake Wardance for the CHA to hit again.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Are you limiting to official stuff? Because the Chainmail Bikini sourcebook(ridiculousness aside) has Hot and Violent to get cha to either attack or damage(possibly both, I forget the specifics) when dressed Stripperfically.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Geddoe View Post
    Are you limiting to official stuff? Because the Chainmail Bikini sourcebook(ridiculousness aside) has Hot and Violent to get cha to either attack or damage(possibly both, I forget the specifics) when dressed Stripperfically.
    Oh snap, I have got to get that book.