New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Best way to get both Iron Heart and Devoted Spirit?

If I wanted to build a TOB character that focused on using both Iron Heart and Devoted Spirit, what would be the best way to go about doing it? Which combinations of classes would serve best?

Sorry for the sparse first post, but it's a question without much fluff-requirement at the moment, just wondering.

Thanks.
    Feel free to PM me if you want something PEACHed. I may not be one of the greats, but I'll do it if you ask.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    One of us takes vengeance,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

(U)sually in any game situation the biggest control freak will gravitate towards the job of being the GM anyway.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Best way to get both Iron Heart and Devoted Spirit?

Without homebrew, your only real option is Warblade/Crusader, since Iron Heart is Warblade-only and Devoted Spirit is Crusader-only.

Alternatively, you can go one or the other and just use Martial Study and Martial Stance to cherry-pick the maneuvers you want, if you only need a couple.

The ToB PrCs might help, depending on what exactly you want. Master of Nine can advance both DS and IH, I think, but is really annoying to get into. Eternal Blade can give both DS and IH as well, but again, kind of annoying (in a different way) to get into.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Without homebrew, your only real option is Warblade/Crusader, since Iron Heart is Warblade-only and Devoted Spirit is Crusader-only.

Alternatively, you can go one or the other and just use Martial Study and Martial Stance to cherry-pick the maneuvers you want, if you only need a couple.

The ToB PrCs might help, depending on what exactly you want. Master of Nine can advance both DS and IH, I think, but is really annoying to get into. Eternal Blade can give both DS and IH as well, but again, kind of annoying (in a different way) to get into.
    Wow, I had not realized that about Eternal Blade, makes me love the class even more now!

And ya, that kind of the problem with the two disciplines being exclusive from each other.
    Feel free to PM me if you want something PEACHed. I may not be one of the greats, but I'll do it if you ask.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    One of us takes vengeance,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

(U)sually in any game situation the biggest control freak will gravitate towards the job of being the GM anyway.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Homebrew PrCs:
    Crusader of Death Spirit Champion Sword of Levakross Bright Champion Vindicator

These might be less annoying to get into than Eternal Blade or Master of Nine.

Other than that, take a serious look at multiclassing. ToB tends to support it well.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Griffon

Officially:

Multiclass Crusader/Warblade - not a bad option since multiclassing doesn't hurt between adepts. If you must have a 9th level maneuver before Epic, (NOT a bad thing if you do) don't multiclass too much, but you are NOT The Suck if you don't have one.

Master Of Nine - Has access to all disciplines. Multiclass first between Crusader and Warblade, favoring one. Increase progression of the favored one with Master of Nine. The favored one is your personal taste. You cannot be wrong whether Crusader or Warblade.

Eternal Blade - Can enter as single class Crusader or Warblade but doesn't hurt if you multiclass a little and increase progression of the favored if you want as high a level as possible in Devoted Spirit and Iron Heart as soon as possible.

Unofficially:

Work with the DM to make up your own Prestige Class. People often forget this option. You aren't forced to only use official published stuff.

The book offers the option of swapping out disciplines with DM approval. For example, play a Crusader swapping out Stone Dragon for Iron Heart. Play a Warblade swapping out Stone Dragon for Devoted Spirit.
    Last edited by navar100; 2011-03-13 at 05:40 PM.