New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground XVIII

Welcome, contestants, judges, and guests to Iron Chef XVIII. Here in Optimization Colosseum, contestants will endeavor to create an optimized and flavorful character using a specified D&D3.5 prestige class as a "Secret Ingredient".

Contestants: You will need to present your build at at least one of the following points: 5th level, 10th level, 15th, 20th, and a "sweet spot" that you feel is the high point of the build. Feel free to present as many of these as you like, and please give a rundown of the build's abilities and playability at all of the levels you didn't show. The rules are as follows:

Menu: For most challenges, the "special ingredient" will be drawn from Core plus Completes. There will, from time to time, be special challenges that showcase secret ingredients from other books--for example, the XPH.

32 point-buy is the presumed creation method, but we have generally allowed other levels of point-buy.
    If you do use a different point-buy, please make your case for its necessity in your entry. Keep in mind that for using exceptionally large or small point-buys may warrant deductions in elegance and/or power.

Kitchen: Competitors will be free to use any official 3.5 rulebook in constructing their builds. Dragon magazine is disallowed, and Unearthed Arcana is allowed; but see Elegance below. Alternate rule systems from UA such as gestalt are not allowed, as they create a different playing field. Also, item familiars are forbidden because I hate 'em.

Cooking Time: Contestants will have until 11:59pm CUT on Friday, February 11th 2010 to create their builds and PM them to the Chairman, true_shinken. Builds will then be posted simultaneously, to avoid copying.

Judging: Judging will be based on the following criteria, with each build rated from 1 (very poor) to 5 (exemplary) in each area: Originality, Power, Elegance, Use of Secret Ingredient.

Power level is up to you. Cheese is acceptable, but should be kept to a sane level unless you're showcasing a new TO build you've discovered. In the words of one of my predecessors, a little cheddar can be nice, but avoid the mature Gruyere unless you're making a cheese fondue.

Elegance could bear a little elaboration. It basically measures how skillfully you put your build together, and whether you sacrificed flavor for power. We're cooking here - if your dish doesn't taste good, it doesn't matter how well-presented it is. Use of flaws is an automatic loss of one point per flaw in this category. Other things that will cause lost points here are excessive multiclassing, and classes that don't fit the concept - using Cloistered Cleric in a front-line melee fighter, for example, will lose you points.

I am going to have to ask the contestants to PM me about any disagreement with the judges. Under no circumstances is a contestant to defend themselves inside the thread, since it breaks anonymity.

Presentation: Builds will be posted anonymously, in order to avoid the potential of bias towards a particular competitor. For this reason, please don't put your name in the build, as I'm likely to miss it when reviewing the entries!

Due to concerns about standardizing entry format, I'd like everyone to try to use the following table for their entry.
    Spoiler
    Show
    NAME OF ENTRY
    {table=head]Level|Class|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Skills|Feats|Class Features

1st|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

2nd|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

3rd|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

4th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

5th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

6th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

7th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

8th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

9th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

10th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

11th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

12th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

13th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

14th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

15th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

16th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

17th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

18th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

19th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

20th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities[/table]

Code
    Spoiler
    Show
    [b]NAME OF ENTRY[/b]
    {table=head][b]Level[/b]|[B]Class[/B]|[b]Base Attack<br>Bonus[/b]|[b]Fort Save[/b]|[b]Ref Save[/b]|[b]Will Save[/b]|[B]Skills[/B]|[B]Feats[/B]|[b]Class Features[/b]

1st|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

2nd|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

3rd|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

4th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

5th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

6th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

7th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

8th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

9th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

10th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

11th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

12th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

13th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

14th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

15th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

16th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

17th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

18th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

19th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

20th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities[/table]

For entries with spellcasting, use the following table for Spells per day and Spells Known. (Spells Known only if necessary, i.e. Sorcerer or Bard, but not Wizard or Warmage)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spells per day/Spells Known
    {table=head]Level|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th

1st|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

2nd|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

3rd|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

4th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

5th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

6th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

7th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

8th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

9th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

10th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

11th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

12th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

13th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

14th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

15th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

16th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

17th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

18th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

19th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

20th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-[/table]

Code
    Spoiler
    Show
    [b]Spells per day/Spells Known[/b]
    {table=head][b]Level[/b]|[b]0lvl[/b]|[b]1st[/b]|[b]2nd[/b]|[b]3rd[/b]|[b]4th[/b]|[b]5th[/b]|[b]6th[/b]|[b]7th[/b]|[b]8th[/b]|[b]9th[/b]

1st|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

2nd|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

3rd|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

4th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

5th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

6th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

7th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

8th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

9th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

10th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

11th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

12th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

13th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

14th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

15th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

16th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

17th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

18th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

19th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

20th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-[/table]

For other systems (Psionics, ToB, Incarnum, etc.) keep track of PP/maneuvers/essentia separately, preferably in a nice neat list.
    Speculation: Please don't post or speculate on possible builds until the "reveal," in order to avoid spoiling the surprise if a particular competitor is producing a build along those lines.

Leadership is banned; we're producing a meal, not a seven-course banquet for a hundred diners.

So! Who wants to sign up as a contestant, and who wants to sign up as a judge? Looking for about 5 judges and as many contestants as feel like playing!

This week's special ingredient is:
    Fey Features' Unseelie Dark Hunter! Our first online secret ingredient.
    We will have trophies for 1st through 3rd places, as well as a special trophy for honorable mention. Judges, contestants and guests alike are invited to vote for honorable mention via PM.

Allez optimiser!

Judges
    Grynning
    dextercorvia
    Talbot

Contestants
    OMG_Ponies
    Waker
    Private-Prinny
    Amphetryon
    Clepto
    gbprime
    Nerdanel
    Amechra
    gbprime
    Zaq
    Thurbane
    Draz74
    Xiander
    Duncan_Ruadrik
    Deathslayer7
    OMGPonies

The Builds
    Skullface
    The Creeper
    Perpetua
    Reek
    Tamalin
    Faltino
    Ogar
    Tamlaine
    The Loyal Servant

Past Competitions

Iron Chef I: Entropomancer
    Iron Chef II: Psibond Agent
    Iron Chef III: Cancer Mage
    Iron Chef IV: Stonelord
    Iron Chef V: War Chanter
    Iron Chef VI: Master of Masks
    Iron Chef VII: Green Star Adept
    Iron Chef VIII: Pyrokineticist
    Iron Chef IX: Animal Lord
    Iron Chef X: Mythic Exemplar
    Iron Chef XI: Blade Bravo
    Iron Chef XII: War Mind
    Iron Chef XIII: Vigilante
    Iron Chef XIV: Seeker of the Song
    Iron Chef XV: Drunken Master
    Iron Chef XVI: Assassin
    Iron Chef XVII: Ardent Dilettante
    Last edited by true_shinken; 2011-03-12 at 10:23 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground XVIII

Competing, but can a link be provided?

editing while I was posting!
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2011-02-04 at 02:15 PM. Reason: ninja chairman
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmm, The special entry requirement for this one should make for some interesting reading in the backstories. Can't wait to see what we end up with.
    Awesome avatar done by Ravens_Wing

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein
    US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

question: how many levels of the dark hunter do we have to use? All or some? Also interested in as a contestant. Also, I can't seem to find Wilderness Lore. Can someone direct me to it?
    Not wearing your seat belt? See you soon!
    Thanks to Kwarkpudding for this excellent avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tialait View Post
    This is perhaps the most amazing idea I have heard in eons. Thank you kind slayer of Death.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Woo hoo! I was hoping it would be this one! Wis based arcane casting! Unseelie Court shenanigans! This should be a good one.

6. - Top - End - #6

NecromancerGuy

Competing. Quick note: the Dark Hunter appears to be 3.0, as it references Wilderness Lore instead of Survival.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

I actually have a pretty good idea for this one. Count me in.

BTW, are we going to use Survival instead of Wilderness Lore for the entry requirements, or are we going back to the 3.0 skill system?
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Moron View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    'Adding up numbers' is completely independent of roleplay. What you're saying makes as much sense as "peeling a banana is not a good way to drive."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deathslayer7 View Post
    question: how many levels of the dark hunter do we have to use? All or some? Also interested in as a contestant. Also, I can't seem to find Wilderness Lore. Can someone direct me to it?
    Past Iron Chefs tend to have high scorers taking most, if not all, levels of a secret ingredient. The typical range is 8-10, though I think some entries have gone as low as having 5 levels before jumping out. Don't think they scored too well, either.
    Last edited by Cieyrin; 2011-02-04 at 03:18 PM.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Excellent, I've got plenty of warning for this one, so I'll be competing.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, we definitely need some official clarification on the skills for this one. Saying that Survival is a prereq is fine, but there are a lot of outdated skills on its list. Best to nip that confusion in the bud, no?

Anyway, this one isn't inspiring me right now, but I'll say something if that changes.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Private-Prinny View Post
    I actually have a pretty good idea for this one. Count me in.

BTW, are we going to use Survival instead of Wilderness Lore for the entry requirements, or are we going back to the 3.0 skill system?
    It's Survival.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Chairman! Please clear that this entry is the Unseelie Dark Hunter, or place it as [Unseelie] Dark Hunter, since there's another Dark Hunter on the Complete Warrior and people might be confused.

Not competing, but not sure if I'll judge this one or whether I'll rest for a while.
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think I'll just be watching, because standard D&D fey and I have some fairly major disagreements. If there's a need, though, I might be able to judge.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

and if possible, translate the 3.0 skills for the Unseelie Dark Hunter into 3.5 skills. The major note being: Animal Empathy and Intuit Direction. I would add in Wilderness Lore but we already said that was survival.

This is perhaps the most amazing idea I have heard in eons. Thank you kind slayer of Death.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

My guess for Animal empathy would be handle animal/wild empathy (choose one). Intuit direction is likely survival.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

I'm pretty sure wilderness lore is survival. Did you mean Gather Info?
    Last edited by Deathslayer7; 2011-02-04 at 05:02 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deathslayer7 View Post
    I'm pretty sure wilderness lore is survival. Did you mean Gather Info?
    No, Intuit Direction got rolled into Survival alongside Wilderness Lore.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

18. - Top - End - #18

So how will that work? Can I be so bold as to suggest a SI that's already 3.5?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

OK, for the update on (Unseelie) Dark Hunter:
    • They get wild empathy, as a Druid of the same level, instead of Animal Empathy skill
    • They get Survival as a class skill instead of Wilderness Lore and Intuit Direction

I don't think anything else needs clarification. Quite an easy update.

20. - Top - End - #20

NecromancerGuy

Well, one idea tossed out already as unworkable. On to the second concept.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I'll be competing in this one. Good luck everyone.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

One quick question, are LA buy offs allowed? I didn't see any mention for or against it in the rules.

23. - Top - End - #23

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    One quick question, are LA buy offs allowed? I didn't see any mention for or against it in the rules.
    That has been up to the individual judge in the past. Some of them frown on it more than others.

I'd like to try competing this time. I'm having trouble getting the prerequisite skills, though, so we'll see.
    Last edited by dextercorvia; 2011-02-05 at 12:36 AM.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

24. - Top - End - #24

He's back, and he's after justice...
    or maybe just tasty entries...

Put me down for a judge slot. My hiatus was intended to be brief, but the length of the last contest made it feel like a very long time
    My friend and I have a blog, we write D&D stuff there: http://forgotmydice.com/

Comedian avatar by The_Stoney_One

A Guide to Commonly Misunderstood 5th Edition Rules

25. - Top - End - #25

Not only an affiliation PrC, but one that doesn't allow the player to possess a conscience (until they're done taking levels in it) by virtue of serving this creature:

Quote Originally Posted by WotC
    The queen is a capricious creature, quite chaotic and quite evil.
    Add to that, the only thing really noteworthy is wis-based arcane casting and a +mount speed feature.

Good luck, contestants...
    Last edited by Pechvarry; 2011-02-05 at 12:59 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    I'm starting to wonder if avoiding LA is the best tactic. I've been penalized for using LA buyoff and I've been penalized for NOT using LA buyoff. There's at least 1 judge on either side of that fence each round, so you're going to lose a half point from SOMEONE no matter what you do.

The bottom line is... do whatever makes sense for the build. Coolness and power are worth points too, and taking a half point hit from some judge is worth getting an extra point from several judges.
    Ding, You've Got Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.

27. - Top - End - #27

BlueWizardGirl

I'm trying my hand at competing again. It's going to be interesting to see how many people had the same build idea.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by gbprime View Post
    I'm starting to wonder if avoiding LA is the best tactic. I've been penalized for using LA buyoff and I've been penalized for NOT using LA buyoff. There's at least 1 judge on either side of that fence each round, so you're going to lose a half point from SOMEONE no matter what you do.

The bottom line is... do whatever makes sense for the build. Coolness and power are worth points too, and taking a half point hit from some judge is worth getting an extra point from several judges.
    I've seen some people say what they would do without LA buyoff, but also include options for if it is available. They cover all of their bases, and they can't be penalized either way.

And am I crazy, or is it possible to get every aspect of this class (minus speed bonuses, which aren't that great) from other sources? Maybe some kind of ToB gish build with Bloodclaw master?
    Awesome avatar by starwoof

29. - Top - End - #29

BlueWizardGirl

I have a question: Are the hounds and the mount considered class features or are they just suggestions for the kind of things typical Unseelie Dark Hunters spend personal resources to get?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

It looks like they are meant to be suggestions. The class itself doesn't actually give you any improvements with your mount (aside from speed) or cohorts. The class looks like one that is best used with an NPC, but that is part of the challenge.