New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground XVIII

I went to check the description, to answer your question and this is what I found:

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Hunter
    A dark hunter prepares and casts spells just as a sorcerer does and the spells are arcane.
    Apparently, their spells are just a trick. Can we get a ruling as to whether they are a prepared class or a spontaneous class?

Either way, they will have ASF.
    Last edited by dextercorvia; 2011-02-07 at 11:20 AM.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    That only leaves my ASF question, which I assume is a "yes".
    Safe assumption, yeah.
    Ding, You've Got Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm not great at CO (I'm ok, but not contest-worthy), and I've never judged before, but I'd be down to judge, especially as there seems to be a need for more judges.

4. - Top - End - #64

NecromancerGuy

Are we assuming the REF save listed for levels 7 - 10 is a typo, or a really spiffy progression?
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #65

HalflingPirate

Are we assuming the REF save listed for levels 7 - 10 is a typo, or a really spiffy progression?
    It's just level 6 that is off. This is a really horrible write-up. To think, it doesn't appear in print. They could have fixed it at any time.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #66

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dextercorvia View Post
    I went to check the description, to answer your question and this is what I found:

Apparently, there spells are just a trick. Can we get a ruling as to whether they are a prepared class or a spontaneous class?

Either way, they will have ASF.
    They prepare spells. Sorcerers do too, after a fashion.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #67

HalflingPirate

They prepare spells. Sorcerers do too, after a fashion.
    I'm not sure I follow you here. I could see the argument that they prepare spells just like a sorcerer, ie. they don't. But, what do you mean sorcerers do to?
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #68

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dextercorvia View Post
    I'm not sure I follow you here. I could see the argument that they prepare spells just like a sorcerer, ie. they don't. But, what do you mean sorcerers do to?
    I mean, Sorcerers are not list-casters like Beguilers, Dread Necromancers, or Warmages. They have to select specific spells which they can cast; they can then cast those spells more freely than a book-caster like a Wizard can.

I will grant that there were no list-casters published to my knowledge for 3.0, which is where the Unseelie Dark Hunter's publication range appears to fall.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #69

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    I don't think that's correct. I can look at it again, but I think that avoiding the +2 per class thing is a further variant.
    AFAIK, you add together all levels for your build that provide the good save progression, which means you add +2.5 for the first good save level, and only +0.5 for every level thereafter.

I mean, Sorcerers are not list-casters like Beguilers, Dread Necromancers, or Warmages. They have to select specific spells which they can cast; they can then cast those spells more freely than a book-caster like a Wizard can.

I will grant that there were no list-casters published to my knowledge for 3.0, which is where the Unseelie Dark Hunter's publication range appears to fall.
    Sorry, amph, but I don't agree about there being two classes of spontaneous caster. From the SRD:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    [A sorcerer] can cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time...
    That's a spontaneous caster. Yes, it's more limited by its spells known than a full-list caster like a beguiler. However, that doesn't make it a prepared caster. A sorcerer's spells known are not repicked every day.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2011-02-08 at 03:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

10. - Top - End - #70

HalflingPirate

I think I would like to switch to judging as well.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #71
    Barbarian in the Playground

Since I've never judged before, I think it's fair for me to give contestants some idea of what I look for. So, stealing a page from OMGPonies book:

Spoiler
    Show

Originality

* 1: If your build's main trick(s) is(are) something I've seen a lot of before (for example, I don't really care how high you can get your charging damage unless you're doing it differently/in an interesting way, and if your build is a chain-tripper there should be more to it than Combat Reflexes and Knockdown), look forward to this score.
    * 2: As long as you do something new/interesting, you will get at least this score.
    * 3: If you're doing something new by using a lot of old pieces, you'll likely end up here.
    * 4: Once I start going "Wow, I never would have thought of that", you're here and it's a good place to be.
    * 5: If I spend the whole time going "Wow, I never would have thought of that", you're here, and it's the best place to be.

Note: Your backstory can score you a half a point, maybe a full point if it's really stellar, but you can get a five without it and won't be penalized for it in any way.

Power

* 1: Can't consistently beat a core-only Monk.
    * 2: It works ok, but it's not going to stand out in most parties.
    * 3: Nothin' special, but does its job.
    * 4: At this point you're doing your job significantly better than most.
    * 5: If your build is stronger than everyone else in the contest, and can stand up to a well-optimized build of the same role (don't worry, your melee build doesn't have to beat a full-caster... but your full-caster ought to be able to), then you'll snag a 5.

Elegance

* 1: If the build relies on exclusively on extremely iffy or cheesy tactics, you've earned a 1.
    * 2: Assuming your build is at least mostly rules-legal, I'm basically starting you here and expecting you to move up.
    * 3: Do the pieces fit together well? Better than the more obvious/conventional choices would have? If you're using cheese, is it reasonable enough that most if not all DMs would allow it? Getting past this point will require that your build has at least some versatility.
    * 4: At this point you probably shouldn't have more than one dip, and I should see a lot of your classes complimenting each other in multiple ways. Doing everything you can to get SAD is nice, but not enough. At this point, if there's cheese, it shouldn't be much more than a light dusting of Parmesan.
    * 5: Every class contributes in multiple meaningful ways and things fit together so well that when thinking of your character later I won't be able to remember the build so much as how (and how well) the character works; essentially, if it transcends class distinctions and becomes an entity unto itself, it gets a 5. If you dip, it better make a lot of sense and have a lot of payoff. And my 5s are lactose-intolerant.

Note: Builds that don't come really become interesting/useful till after level 10 can't score higher than a 3. Builds that don't become interesting/useful till after level 7 can't top a 4.

Use of the Secret Ingredient (UoSI)

* 1: You've included it because it's required, but your build doesn't actually benefit from it.
    * 2: It contributes... in the same way the 12th man on a basketball team contributes.
    * 3: It is now a vital part of the build. Probably the focal-point.
    * 4: You've taken all levels of the Ingredient and/or you're making at least some use of all its Class Features.
    * 5: Everything else you've taken serves to elevate the SI, and it's unmistakably the centerpiece of the build. More than that, it's using all of its features effectively and efficiently.

Note: You can potentially snag a 5 without using every feature or taking every level, but you better be getting a heck of a lot of mileage out of the features and levels you did take. I don't recommend this approach. Bonus points for getting the SI in early while still keeping the build playable.

As you can see, I'm pretty stingy with my 5s, but I'm also unlikely to give out 1s. I will get annoyed by builds that are poorly explained, and therefore less receptive to challenges/corrections later. I don't really expect that to come up, but in case it does I figured I'd mention it now.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've looked at this class, and nothing is really standing out for me, so I think I'll sit out this time. This week is going to be pretty busy too, so I won't have time even if I get an idea .

Good luck everyone
    DM: You exit the temple. Cleric, roll a knowledge(religion) check...
    Cleric: *passes* "Ah yes, now I recognise it, it was a temple to the god of traps!"
    Thief: *punches Cleric*

Iron Chef Contest Gallery:
    Spoiler
    Show
    IC XVII: Snow (Silver)
    IC XX: Sir Karel (Bronze)
    IC XXXII: 'Aundair' Yannedge-Owens (Gold)
    IC XXXII: Sir Arminel Rayne (Bronze)
    IC XXXIX: Hardy (Bronze)

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xodion View Post
    I've looked at this class, and nothing is really standing out for me
    It's a doozy, to be sure. Trying to make good use of all the PrC's features while getting decent originality points... I've puzzled and puzzled til my puzzler is sore, as they say. But I finally have something, just gotta do the formatting.
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.

14. - Top - End - #74

I'm in--back to competing. The only points I hope to earn are style points.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Eh. Once again, I have to bow out of this one. I can't think of any build that would be improved much by this PrC, and most of the ones I've come up with actually lose quite a bit of effectiveness. Oh well. Better luck next time.

Good luck to those still in the game.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OMG PONIES View Post
    AFAIK, you add together all levels for your build that provide the good save progression, which means you add +2.5 for the first good save level, and only +0.5 for every level thereafter.
    Nope. One of the examples is a Clr 5/Ftr 2 with a base Fort bonus of +7. The rules simply say that you add fractions from the classes, not that you treat all progressions as part of one big ur-progression.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

smile Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground XVIII

Just a note: Even if people can't think of a way to use this PrC to mechanically enhance a character, Power is only one of the judging criteria. A good thematic build, with a nice backstory, can still do quite well.

Quite a few of the PrCs featured in Iron Chef have been mechanically subpar (especially compared to something like straight Druid or Wizard), so the build doesn't have to be all about enhancing the base class(es) of the build.

...of course, a character that is very weak mechanically is likely to take a significant hit in Power (and probably Elegance, too).

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Almost done with a second. How is everyone doing?
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Have a build, writing background now. I just wish I had a bit more free time this week - it's been ridiculous at home and at the office so unless I set aside a bit of time for myself I'm probably not going to finish in time.

20. - Top - End - #80

Trying to format, flesh out, and submit my build by the deadline. Is it just me, or have the past few rounds had a shorter submission window than previous ones?

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Shorter, no. More head scratching required for a build? Yes.

Still formatting.
    Spoiler
    Show

Oh, and DFTBA.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've got a hefty schedule this week, but then most of my commitments vanish next week. If there is still an open judging spot, I'll take it.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Moron View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    'Adding up numbers' is completely independent of roleplay. What you're saying makes as much sense as "peeling a banana is not a good way to drive."

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

I would have liked to enter, but RL has conspired against me and put my career-advancing exam on Friday

Perhaps if I somehow have any energy afterwards I shall enter however. I've had 3 build ideas, though none of them have been developed yet.
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I've been going back and forth between about half a dozen builds, but I think I've settled on my decision. Hopefully it'll do well.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

I submitted my build last weekend. I have an interesting idea for a second, but I'm not certain I have the time or energy to do more than the outline of it.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

I have discarded my second build as untenable. I just couldn't get the last piece of information I needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

27. - Top - End - #87

Yeesh, I shouldn't even be spending time making one entry ... and some people manage to do two or more? Mind-boggling.

Not to mention, even if I had loads of free time I only have one idea for this Secret Ingredient.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

28. - Top - End - #88

HalflingPirate

I had two. One of them was incredibly cheesy and would have scored rather poorly on UoSI -- It worked for Dark Hunter, but would have worked equally well or better with a number of other indep. casting PrC's.

The other one really benefited from Dark Hunter, but was a little unoriginal and I couldn't get all of the qualifications for DH without being really obvious about it.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #89

NecromancerGuy

Crunch done. Still working on the fluff.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90

NecromancerGuy

Whew. Done. Build submitted.

Spoiler
    Show