New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default AZ's Council of Thieves: The Bastards of Erebus

Westcrown. A city of cultured savagery, a city of shadows, a city...of conflict. From the death of Aroden unto present days, no one has wanted to call this city home. Five heroes are now called to do battle for this city's soul. They will save Westcrown from itself...or die in the attempt.

Vesper "Angelo" Giles

Spoiler
    Show
    You have spent your day wandering the abandoned areas of the city, avoiding the watchful eyes of the dottari. One of the final things you do is visit Quandary's shop to discuss your latest findings.

What surprises you is the woman who is talking to him as you enter.

"Now, look here miss, I don't know when he's coming back, but I do know that he's a good kid, and if this be dangerous it's...oh! Angelo! You're back! You're in luck, miss, you can ask him yourself."

"Thank you, Quandary."

She turns to you.

"Good day. My name is Janiven."

Valor

Spoiler
    Show
    Despite the dangers roaming the streets at night, you've so managed to stay safe, avoiding the hungry gaze of the shadows. Another night, another long, dark hunt drawn to a close. As you prepare to make your way home, you are surprised to hear someone behind you. Someone apparently waiting for you.

"You're a hard man to find, Valor. I want your help."

Kaet Solal

Spoiler
    Show
    You've spent the day working in the temple's studio, putting the finishing touches on a new carving for the temple facade. The little birds look stately, but adorable at the same time, and a familiar sense of warm pride and happiness fills you as you look upon them. Your concentration is disrupted by a knock on the door. A young woman opens it.

"Hello, are you Kaet, handmaiden of The Eternal Rose?"

Metis Thornweaver

Spoiler
    Show
    It's quiet in your part of town today. You'd heard the rumors, but the funeral procession confirmed it. Another little child, drained of color and life. Another victim of the shadows. A woman walks up behind you and stands next to you as you watch.

"No one should have to go through life worrying that this could be their child the next day."

Damion Tristram

Spoiler
    Show
    You've spent the past few days squatting in an abandoned house in Rego Cader. It's leaky and there's no food, but at least it's relatively safe, safe from the elements and safe from those awful shadow beasts. No one but people like you come to the Dead Quarter. People who have something to hide, or who are marked from birth by the pits. Which is why it surprises you when someone opens the door, hanging from one hinge. She's not the kind of person who comes here. Too clean, too nice. But a closer look at her face reveals that she does have something to hide.

"Are you Damion Tristram? I want to speak to you."
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2012-06-29 at 10:19 AM.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: AZ's Council of Thieves: The Bastards of Erebus

"Have a seat, I just need to finish the beak on this tiny one and then I'll be right with you."

Kaet carefully crafts and carefully finishes the details of her work. She stands and turns to greet the woman. "My name is Kaet, and I do serve Shelyn though I am more of a thorn than a handmaiden. Are you here to commission a sculpture? "

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Angelo pauses in the doorway, glancing toward Quandary for a moment whilst figuring out whether it is time to run or to stand.

Without giving it too much thought, Angelo falls into one of his normal roles for social situations. He smiles broadly in the general direction of the woman and plays up his clouded vision more than normal.

"And who might be the owner of this melodic voice? Quandary, you didn't tell me you were going to have such... enticing company. I'm not interrupting anything, am I? You know I don't want a repeat of last time... "

He chuckles to himself lightly as he imagines the gnome to be blushing.

"Ms. Janiven? It is a pleasure to meet you. My name is Vesper. How can I be of assistance to you?"
    Last edited by CheshireCatAW; 2012-06-29 at 02:06 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Damion recoiled and shifted away from the light, pulling the hood of his cloak tightly over his face. He gripped tightly onto a throwing axe, hidden from immediate view by his side opposite the now opened door. Damion had been caught completely off guard, half asleep and the door left unbarred.

"What do you want with me?" Damion growled, not sure if the intruder was here to kill him or hire him. He had left ways to contact him throughout town, but no one was supposed to know where he slept. He had become careless, thinking that a lack of incidents would allow him to drop his guard.

The tiefling looked at the woman for a moment. She was way too clean to be here for his head. That could only mean she was here to give him a job. Damion slowly rose from the corner he sat in, and walked towards her, plunking the axe into a half-burned log of wood as he moved toward her.

"You have me at a disadvantage, miss?" Damion said with a devilish grin, as he extended his hand in friendship.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Othniel Edden View Post
    "Have a seat, I just need to finish the beak on this tiny one and then I'll be right with you."

Kaet carefully crafts and carefully finishes the details of her work. She stands and turns to greet the woman. "My name is Kaet, and I do serve Shelyn though I am more of a thorn than a handmaiden. Are you here to commission a sculpture? "
    "In a manner of speaking. My name is Janiven, and I'm offering a chance to sculpt the future. Meet me at Vizio's Tavern tomorrow, if you're interested."
    Quote Originally Posted by CheshireCatAW View Post
    Angelo pauses in the doorway, glancing toward Quandary for a moment whilst figuring out whether it is time to run or to stand.

Without giving it too much thought, Angelo falls into one of his normal roles for social situations. He smiles broadly in the general direction of the woman and plays up his clouded vision more than normal.

"And who might be the owner of this melodic voice? Quandary, you didn't tell me you were going to have such... enticing company. I'm not interrupting anything, am I? You know I don't want a repeat of last time... "

He chuckles to himself lightly as he imagines the gnome to be blushing.

"Ms. Janiven? It is a pleasure to meet you. My name is Vesper. How can I be of assistance to you?"
    "I'll be blunt and I'll be brief. I know of your interest in the exiled Pathfinders..."

"SHHHHHH!" Quandary hisses.

"...and their interests align with mine. If you'd like to know more, please come to Vizio's Tavern tomorrow for supper. I'll explain everything there."
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrocide View Post
    Damion recoiled and shifted away from the light, pulling the hood of his cloak tightly over his face. He gripped tightly onto a throwing axe, hidden from immediate view by his side opposite the now opened door. Damion had been caught completely off guard, half asleep and the door left unbarred.

"What do you want with me?" Damion growled, not sure if the intruder was here to kill him or hire him. He had left ways to contact him throughout town, but no one was supposed to know where he slept. He had become careless, thinking that a lack of incidents would allow him to drop his guard.

The tiefling looked at the woman for a moment. She was way too clean to be here for his head. That could only mean she was here to give him a job. Damion slowly rose from the corner he sat in, and walked towards her, plunking the axe into a half-burned log of wood as he moved toward her.

"You have me at a disadvantage, miss?" Damion said with a devilish grin, as he extended his hand in friendship.
    To your suprise, she takes your hand and gives it a firm shake.

"Janiven Key. I'm told you're a good man who doesn't deserve the life he's had. I'd like to offer you a chance to prove that, to Westcrown and the world. If you're interested, come to Vizio's Tavern tomorrow. Even if you aren't I'll be serving dinner there, so I hope you'll at least come for that. Desna knows you probably have lean pickings out here in the slums."
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2012-06-29 at 10:28 AM.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Without turning to face the woman, Metis says in a quiet but firm voice:

"No one should, everyone does..."

Now Metis glances at the woman out of the corner of her eye.

"Any relation?" She says while gesturing her head towards the procession.
    Spoiler: Campaign Journals
    Show

Axinia: My campaign setting.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    "In a manner of speaking. My name is Janiven, and I'm offering a chance to sculpt the future. Meet me at Vizio's Tavern tomorrow, if you're interested."
    "I'm not good at this cryptic stuff. Why come to me? What do you need me for? "

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Axinian View Post
    Without turning to face the woman, Metis says in a quiet but firm voice:

"No one should, everyone does..."

Now Metis glances at the woman out of the corner of her eye.

"Any relation?" She says while gesturing her head towards the procession.
    "No, no relation. I'm just a person like you who thinks this has to stop. Are you interested? There's a meeting of individuals like us tomorrow at Vizio's Tavern. If you want to help make sure more do not suffer that child's fate...be there."
    "I'm not good at this cryptic stuff. Why come to me? What do you need me for? "
    Janiven snorts a bit.

"You live in Cheliax and you don't know doublespeak? The world needs more people like you. I can't say much more here. Come to Vizio's Tavern and I'll explain everything, I promise."
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2012-06-29 at 12:05 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

The night had been long and tiring, but far from fruitless. Valor's current goals had been slowly pushed forward, laying the groundwork for another heist. This one was going to be his most audacious yet; snatching the jewels off the neck of one of the corrupt lordlings in the middle of her birthday banquet. Valor felt comfortable with his routine. Now, it was time to start striking a little terror into the hearts of evil.

As an unseen voice speaks behind him, the hunter of the night pivots sharply on one foot, planting his back firmly against a brick and mortar wall belonging to a derelict warehouse he'd been passing. Valor didn't like having his back exposed, less so when someone had managed to take him unawares. " Being elusive is a trait I've cultivated. I'm impressed I was found at all, honestly." Valor eyes the person who spoke, or if he can't see them, he begins rather earnestly -trying- to see them. " Is there something I can help you with, friend? "
    Hunting Blackpool Hall | OOC
    The Dream of Cormanthr | OOC

GITP Fantasy Blood Bowl Cup - Season III - Now Recruiting!
    My Team: Tinwë United ( Pro Elf - CRAZY )
    Season 2: 5-5-2 Cup Semi-Finalists

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oh My God View Post
    The night had been long and tiring, but far from fruitless. Valor's current goals had been slowly pushed forward, laying the groundwork for another heist. This one was going to be his most audacious yet; snatching the jewels off the neck of one of the corrupt lordlings in the middle of her birthday banquet. Valor felt comfortable with his routine. Now, it was time to start striking a little terror into the hearts of evil.

As an unseen voice speaks behind him, the hunter of the night pivots sharply on one foot, planting his back firmly against a brick and mortar wall belonging to a derelict warehouse he'd been passing. Valor didn't like having his back exposed, less so when someone had managed to take him unawares. " Being elusive is a trait I've cultivated. I'm impressed I was found at all, honestly." Valor eyes the person who spoke, or if he can't see them, he begins rather earnestly -trying- to see them. " Is there something I can help you with, friend? "
    "I am called Janiven. You are Valor, a rare beacon of light in this benighted city. I would see that light illuminate the whole of Westcrown. If you're interested, meet me tomorrow at Vizio's Tavern."

11. - Top - End - #11

"No, no relation. I'm just a person like you who thinks this has to stop. Are you interested? There's a meeting of individuals like us tomorrow at Vizio's Tavern. If you want to help make sure more do not suffer that child's fate...be there."
    "Tch. I'm not saying 'No', but..." Metis looks about cautiously, "You better let me know who told you about me when I get there. They're gonna need a talking to." (The "talking to" has a an obvious "I really mean something else" inflection to it.)

Metis turns and walks away from the crowd. She starts heading back to Sigmund's to let him know about this.
    Last edited by Axinian; 2012-06-29 at 01:03 PM.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

There is only a moment of thought before Valor nods. " See you there. " And with that, he vanishes in to the darkness. Hurrying home, he figures he'll need a full night's sleep before he rises early and goes to reconnoiter Vizio's tavern. No sense meeting somewhere you don't know all of the ways in to and out of.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

"I think you've mistaken me for another fiend-blood. I'm no saint. I'm not even a good guy. I'm a liar and a murderer. I do the only thing I know how - hurt people for money." Damion turned and walked over to a chair that stood only by the fact the chair's missing leg was replaced with a large stone block and slumped down into it.

Somehow, someway this Janiven Key woman knew what no other person save for his old mentor knew. She knew his need for acceptance and his wish to prove himself. Damion never could pull it out of Zafrieg why he had decided to help him, and now another person has come apparently to help him as well. The only reason Damion didn't jump at the offer was because he'd been burned too many times before by people acting as friends until they got what they wanted and then dumped him back where he was to start.

Damion pulled a waterskin up from the floor beside the dilapidated chair and took a long swig from the skin. Looking up at Janiven, Damion spat out some of the fluid in the corner away from the both of them before speaking again.

"I get it. You're here to hire a merc to get their hands dirty under the guise of being a Champion of Good. I'll come to your dinner tomorrow, and I'll play along with whatever speech you've got planned to woo us all into joining your righteous cause. I'll probably even accept, because as you can see I've been going through a bit of a drought as far as jobs are concerned. Just make sure the money is worth my time."
    Damion took another long drink from his waterskin.

"Now if you don't mind, I'll be getting drunk off of the last of my spirits here. Good evening, and I'll see you tomorrow at Vizio's Tavern. Oh, and if you don't mind, lock the door on your way out." Damion smirked as he leaned back to drink deeply from the skin.
    Last edited by pyrocide; 2012-06-29 at 02:19 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

"The thing's falling off its hinges, Damion, but I'll see you at the Tavern."

Janiven leaves, closing the door, which sure enough, falls off its last hinge and collapses onto the street.

15. - Top - End - #15

"Thank you for your time, I'll see you tomorrow then. What time Miss Janiven?"

Kaet notes the time and politely leads Janiven to the exit.

Spoiler
    Show
    Kaet gathers her things and heads homes. If without incident she;ll just head to the tavern the following day.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

"I'll be blunt and I'll be brief. I know of your interest in the exiled Pathfinders..."

"SHHHHHH!" Quandary hisses.

"...and their interests align with mine. If you'd like to know more, please come to Vizio's Tavern tomorrow for supper. I'll explain everything there."
    Angelo's features become serious at the mention of "Pathfinders" and his facade melts away to wary concern.

"Not that I mind when a woman asks for time with me, but I have to admit to a bit of concern when someone starts inviting me to parties regarding subjects which could get me killed. I'm assuming that since Quandary is not leaping out the window that he figures that you are trustworthy but...

Angelo closes his eyes to think. A chance to learn more about the exiled Pathfinders? How often do these opportunities arise? Could it be a trap? Surely he could talk his way out of things if it were...

"But your offer does have more than a small lure to it. Shall I bring something to the dinner? A nice wine, perhaps...?"

Slipping back into his guise without thinking, he winks at the young lady with a small smirk on his face.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

"No need, there will be ale at the dinner. Shall I take your answer as a yes, then?"

Janiven clearly isn't interested in Vesper's suave charm.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

"No need, there will be ale at the dinner. Shall I take your answer as a yes, then?"

Janiven clearly isn't interested in Vesper's suave charm.
    Unaccustomed to this response, Angelo smirks thoughtfully at the woman.

"Consider myself interested. It would be my pleasure to join you for a meal."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

The day passes quietly, and the night passes equally quietly. Almost too much so. Valor cases Vizio's Tavern and finds nearly nothing. He sees no one enter the tavern or leave, and the door is locked, though it looks like it was newly refurbished. It's very suspicious, to say the least.

The next day, late in the afternoon, they begin to congregate at the tavern. Valor finds the door unlocked this time, and Janiven calls from the kitchen.

"Please, have a seat! Supper's almost finished, and I'll have it out in a moment."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Eh, dammit. Damion thought. I got here too early. I'm going to look needy now. Not like it matters, I already told this woman I would take whatever job she was offering, so it doesn't make much of a difference.

Despite his train of thought, Damion was indeed desperate, though not for money - though admittedly he knew he needed the money as well. Damion was desperate to really have a chance to prove himself, and if this job was a gateway to doing so, then he was in no matter the payout. He had even gone so far as to take the time to shine his scale mail and sharpen his axes. The armor still looked like junk, but it was the best Damion could do with what he had.

Damion had walked in a few seconds behind what appeared to be the first to enter the building. besides the one man, the place seemed empty save for a familiar female voice coming from the back. Damion gave a slight nod to the other patron, and moved to the biggest table in the room. He figured he might as well get seated where the meeting would take place, rather than call more attention to himself by moving to the table after it starts. Damion then unstrapped the greataxe from his back, leaned it against the table, and sat himself into one of the chairs. He kept his hood on to cover his face, but figured he would remove it once the meeting started.

Give the people some time to get used to me before I show them what's underneath, he thought.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

" No rush, I'm sure," Valor calls back to the kitchen and leans against the wall, which happens to be next to a window, small and begrimed with filth. He always had a way out, even if it means getting a few nicks in the process.

" Nice axe," is his greeting to Damion with a nod. There seems to be a touch of amusement in his tone, but its hard to tell; Valor wears what can best be visualized as a black ski mask that entirely covers his face, leaving only his eyes exposed. At the moment, this puts him and the other man in the same identity hiding club, and it seems to amuse the masked avenger.

22. - Top - End - #22

Kaet enters the tavern room whistling about as well as she can a catchy tune a she had heard a street performer sing just a while ago. Seeing Janiven she makes her way over to the table. The young beauty looks at the faceless man beside her, and then turns her head towards the Tiefling, "Greetings sirs. Are you also here to see Janiven? Or am I at the wrong table? She didn't really mention anyone, or anything really. Doesn't seem right that this city seems so cryptic."

23. - Top - End - #23

Metis arrives next, pausing just inside the door to thoroughly look about the room. Spotting the table where Kaet and Damion are, and she confidently walks over and sits with both her legs and arms crossed. Her somewhat pale skin contrasts with the dark colors of her clothing, and the lighting in the room only serves to emphasize this.

She notices Valor over by the window. That guy's got the right idea. She thinks to herself.

"So anyone get any actual details on what's happening here?" She asks, without turning her gaze away from the kitchen door.
    Last edited by Axinian; 2012-07-01 at 08:27 PM.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Waiting outside the tavern until he sees nobody else going in, Angelo figures that this is no Town Guard sting operation. He cleans himself up slightly with a quick prestidigitation, walks over to the shop, and walks through the door.

Angelo takes a quick look around, gauging the people is is able to see.

"Hello. Sorry to be late, I wanted to be extra cautious. Surely, you can understand that concern..."

Angelo makes his way to the table and sits down, feeling the weight of eyes upon himself.

"Anyone desire some drink, aside from myself?" he asks, nervously.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by CheshireCatAW View Post
    "Anyone desire some drink, aside from myself?" he asks, nervously.
    "Yes please! We all might need a few before this night is done..." Metis seems to loosen up a bit, but it isn't long before she tenses up again.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

Kaet beams at the newcomers. "Ah, don't be so nervous. Her cooking can't be that bad." She shifts the pin that marks her clear affiliation with Shelyn. "Though I get your anticipation. Wonder what she meant by an opportunity to shape the future. Was she that vague with the rest of ya? "

27. - Top - End - #27

" Was she that vague with the rest of ya? "
    Metis sighs. "Pretty much, yeah."
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

" Vague? Was she?," the masked man asks with a shrug. " Seemed pretty straight forward to me."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Janiven comes out with 5 cups and a pitcher of ale, which she then proceeds to pour into the cups and distribute to the group before returning to the kitchen.

"Almost ready."

You can smell fish being grilled in there.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

"I wouldn't call her vague. She was quite blunt about the topic being something that you should be killed over for mentioning."

Angelo takes a few draws from his glass.

"Though, aside from that, I have no idea why we're here after all."

Angelo looks around. Being closer to everyone makes it much easier to see them. Deciding that there might be more conversation if he offers a little bit first, he decides to give it a shot.

"I was brought here with the promise of information about.." he looks around nervously and lowers his voice, "About the exiled Pathfinders."