New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: AvB - Ishmael

1. - Top - End - #931
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: AvB - Ishmael

"Well the skulks can do more than torture you my friend" he said savoring the fact that he was using the information the priest had given him.

"I am not asking you to betray your kind, just a few simple questions as I am not hear to shed blood though if you continue to taunt me Dominari perhaps I should deliver you to the docks for some fun after all" he said taking a skulk form though not his real one and moving in front of the man.
    AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

2. - Top - End - #932
    Titan in the Playground

Realizing that he's dead either way, he urinates his pants, and almost blacks out.

"Skulks, Jacks, Nightman, You, I guess I'm dead no matter what happens. What do you want to know? You're gonna just kill me afterwords anyways. No skulk has ever left a human alive before and still been breathing."
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

3. - Top - End - #933

Spoiler
    Show

You know... I am gonna end up ruining this magnificent intimidation tool known as Skulkdom...

First the priest, now him... everyone with this silly belief we Skulks are homicidal maniacs :D

"Thats better. Let us just say I shall treat you nicely for collaborating" said Ishmael and moved behind the man again so he could use him as cover in case anyone came.

"So... you speak of the Jacks as if you are not part of them and yet this place must be theirs as I followed one here... enlighten me Mister. What is your name and what is your function and where did the fake beggar I saw come here go... and also... do you really spend your night sitting on the rafters in case this place is discovered or did something betray my entrance? Also... what is behind the bookcase, what is under the carpet and is there anyone else or anything else of importance in the rest of the house" said Ishmael offering many things to the man to show his worth with information.

4. - Top - End - #934
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm John, the Lurk. I'm not a full-fledged Jack, but what you call a 'serviceman'. I can be called in for a job or two each week if they need me to. When I do, I get paid for it, and it's usually safe money. Also, the other gangs in town know to leave a Jakcs serviceman alone. Except the Skulks, who fear no one."

"If you mean Gorvich the Toe, he went to report to the Foot at Aunty Bog's place. I don't know who the foot is, or how to get to Aunty's. All I know is that I got called in tonight to make sure that anyone tailing the Toe didn't make it back.Bookcase leads to a Jacks hideout. I'm told that from there, if I have something worth reporting to the Dayman, I can learn how to get to Aunty's from there. The rug trapdoor leads to a swift death. Nothing else important that I know of."
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).

5. - Top - End - #935

"You know then who the Dayman is and how to find him? Such an information might even earn you your life John so think carefully..." he said and smiled.

"Also how does this work exactly? Will Gorvich be returning though here or are there other exits from the hideout? What is the usual process you wait until his back or what?"

6. - Top - End - #936
    Titan in the Playground

"I don't know his name, I only know him as Dayman. He's a human of average height and build, brown hair, brown eyes. He knows me by sight, but yes, if you take the bookcase, it will lead you to him. In the daytime. The Nightman, whoever he is, doesn't know me, and I'm dead if I go there at night. The Toe isn't likely to come back this way. I'm told there are dozens of exits to and from Aunty's. I was just told to guard this one all night and in the morning, report to the Dayman."

7. - Top - End - #937

Spoiler
    Show

May I ask what the situation between the Jacks and the City Guard is? Like is the gang too powerful for them to handle or is there a constant war with them? Is there for example any bounties on them or is the guard to corrupt that even if there is noone ever tries to accomplish it?

If you want I can roll again but I had gotten 30+ on my knowledge local about the Jacks.

In case you need the roll: (1d20+14)[26]

Ishmael paused for a moment trying to think what he knew for this Dayman. Overall he considered if he was in a position to stop or apprehend the man and if it was worth it.

On one hand the Dayman himself was not actually in the premise of his mission but on the other a blow against the Jacks would earn Edistris's respect and also cause them enough issues to consider leaving the banker alone. On the other hand it may draw too much attention on him or even cause his employer danger.

He also looked at the human before him considering what to do with him.

"So how does the Dayman recognise you? Are there any passwords you exchange and are there any traps from here to there? Describe me the hideout. Is it the only one they have or simply one of many? What do you know about Gorvitch? Any idea where he lives or hides during the day?" he said and paused considering the mans words.

"Also you said you dont know how to get to Aunty's but then you said the passage leads to it and then you said if you need to get there you must talk to the Dayman... so does the Dayman stay elsewhere or what? Be more precise human..." he said and growled softly

"And off course were I to let you live as a reward for your information would you leave the city out of fear for your life or would you care to work for me as an informant?" he said considering the possibility to have the man report while observing.

8. - Top - End - #938
    Titan in the Playground

"He and I know each other on sight. He'll ask a few questions to make sure it's not some git with a hat of disguise, and then I'll say why I came. The hideout is one of many they have, or so I'm told. And it's not Auntie's. I can just go there to be lead to Auntie's if I need to. No traps from here to there that I know of. All I know of the Toe is that he leads a group of bashers and thieves. Don't know anything else about him but to just do as he says to."

"The hideway that this passage leads to isn't Auntie's. It's just the Dayman's hideaway. From there I can be lead to Auntie's. Both times I've had to talk to the Dayman himself, he's been in that hideaway during the day, the Nightman at night."

"Doesn't matter either way. I'm gonna get killed tonight by you or by the Jacks themselves, when they learn that I've talked to you. Letting me live only gives me about five minutes to get going before I'm a dead man."

9. - Top - End - #939

Ishmael nodded solemnly at the mans comment.

"You could turn yourself in, to the Watch. Life in prison is better than no life I would imagine. In any case... I need to think be quiet for a moment" said Ishmael considering his options both with the Jacks and with the man before him.

"Tell me about yourself then. Everything in detail. We have till morning anyway I guess. If I can convince the Dayman I am you then it will buy you enough time to leave town... With the trouble I plan to make on them eventually I doubt they will have time to bother with you should you get far enough..." he said a plan formulating in his mind.

"Oh and by the way, are there any outstanding rewards on the Jacks for capture or killing? And also should I bring a body to the Watch how can they know if it was indeed a member?"

10. - Top - End - #940
    Titan in the Playground

People can be pushed far by fear, it is true, but sometimes, you push them too far...

"Look, stop toying with me and kill me already, okay? At least by your hands, you don't have the means to torture me too long here. I don't carte to help you infiltrate them, for I'd have to be dead first to keep thing believable. And I'm a dead man now either way."

11. - Top - End - #941

"Listen Mister" Said Ishmael coldly.

"I am not really a skulk. I just use this as a disguise to make idiots like you scared. I do not plan to kill you or torture you or even hand you over to the watch or jacks. Thats all on you. I plan to release you after my job is done. Now if you do not care about my explanation fine you can choose not to cooperate and end up being found here by the Jacks or dieing of hunger... the choice is yours " he said and looked at the man.

Spoiler
    Show

Bluff for the "I am not a skulk part" : (1d20+6)[21]

And also the I do not want to kill you part is true!

12. - Top - End - #942
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm sorry, but I just laughed out loud at this whole scenario. A skulk pretending to be a human pretending to be a skulk, trying to convince the guy that he's NOT a skulk.

"If I don't tell you any more, chances are I can convince the Jacks to let me live. If I help you infiltrate their place, I'm a dead man walking."

13. - Top - End - #943

Spoiler
    Show

I know, I know! the impossibility amuses me as well but meh... you do what you can!

Ishmael nodded.

"If you want to give that a try be my guest. You can even say we didnt talk at all... its not as if it would be hard for me to go through the library anyway. In any case. Lets make this look real" he said and started beating the man not with malice but with intent to drop him unconsious though physical violence.

After making sure the man was out Ishmael did one last sweep of the room remembering to toss the carpet away to make it seem as if he had searched that location as well to give the tied man a better story.

Then he ate some more to satisfy his increased hunger since he was wearing the cloak.

When sufficient time had passed for dawn to start to saw her pretty face he gave the man a couple of pokes with the merciful dagger to ensure that he wouldnt wake up any time soon but not kill him and then removed the manacles and the silk rope and used a simple rope just to tie his hands.

He then turned back to the Library taking the poison needle for later use and also the two books as they seemed to have interesting titles opening the secret passage in the process.

He then started forward after seeing what was there.

Spoiler
    Show

Can I make sure he is at full subdual and hence knocked out for 10 hours (since subdual heals at 1 per hour) or is there a chance to kill him?

use rope with simple rope (1d20+7)[22]

then hide (1d20+39)[47]
    and ms (1d20+22)[40]

14. - Top - End - #944
    Titan in the Playground

The passage lies open, and the man is asleep.

15. - Top - End - #945

He carefully enters, sticks to the shadows and follows the passage.

For better or for worse he uses the hat to take the appearance of the man he left tied in the room. As he knows little about his story he knows it wont stand up to inspection but at least he will earn a few seconds of suprise or uncertainty should he be seen despite the shadows covering him.

16. - Top - End - #946
    Titan in the Playground

Ten feet into the tunnel, the floor falls out from beneath you.

Spoiler
    Show
    reflex save.

17. - Top - End - #947

Spoiler
    Show

And that little bastard said there were no traps... I should go back there and kill him!!!!

(1d20+12)[31]

Seriously if I end up falling Ishmael would indeed give him to the skulks or something! Thats what you get for being good!!!

18. - Top - End - #948
    Titan in the Playground

He manages to keep from falling into the pit whose spikes glisten menacingly. However, because the pit fell away between him and the entrance, he's now stuck in a 4' wide, 6' tall tunnel with ten feet of empty air over poisoned spikes between him and escape. Or he can continue down the tunnel.

Spoiler
    Show
    that's right. The spiked pit opens when the mark is almost across it. A very tricky covering indeed. Expect conventional traps to have twists to them like this whenever I throw one.

19. - Top - End - #949

Spoiler
    Show

Cool, makes things more interesting :)

+ traps give XP so the higher DC the better in a way :)

So if I understood it right there are two options, a) jump over the pit or something to return back at the room or b) continue down the passage right?

Ishmael growls softly. He considers turning back since if the man lied about no traps then perhaps the passage did not lead to the correct place either. He tries to see if there was a way to avoid the trap had he known it was there.

Still considering he will have to jump over the pit and he doesnt want to risk it right now he continues down the passage.

Now he is even more carefull trying to avoid any other traps if something picks his curiosity or seems out of place.

20. - Top - End - #950
    Titan in the Playground

Best Ishmael can tell, there was a fall-away pressure plate on the last 4 feet of covered pit.

Spoiler
    Show
    450 xp for that trap.

if you want to actually notice traps before encountering them, that'll be search checks.

21. - Top - End - #951

Spoiler
    Show

But how would that work? Search check every 5 feet? Cause that would take days to search the length of the tunnel?

If I can make search checks as walking without delaying (obviously no take 20s any more) then I can do that... if you need more rolls from me feel free to tell me...

Also sorry to hear about your character, saw the post on the Recruitment thread! What got you?

Are there any reactive roll chances of "spotting" a trap for example and then having to take a search to actually find?

Ishmael continues, he considers searching every step he takes for traps but as that would mean he ends up arriving at the Daymans hide out... at Night he goes ahead without hoping luck and fate will guide his foot steps.

He still walks carefully and slowly keeping his eyes and ears open while staying in the shadows of the tunnel.

22. - Top - End - #952
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    taking 20 takes 2 minutes.

for the remaining 40 feet of this tunnel, that's 16 minutes. As for the rest of the path to the place, it's your call. I'd recommend at least taking 10 so you spend 1 standard action per round searching. not sure where you get days from. but yeah, all traps have search dc's to detect before setting them off. If you don't search, it's assumed you aren't taking the care to notice a hidden trap.

well, I just got done soloing a dungeon crawl that earned me 12,000 xp, and went back to my place without stopping by the temple of my chosen deity to heal. Thought about it, but decided to save the gold that the 8 hp I healed overnight would have gotten me. Got ambushed by an assassin at my door. Even then, if I'd won initiative and/or brought my armor with me on the quest, I'd have won.

Tim was a tough customer, all right.

23. - Top - End - #953

Spoiler
    Show

Sorry to hear that man. Hidden assassin eh? I may have to be careful not to end up in a situation where there are two people hiding and neither can see the other!

Also 12k xp crawl? Sign me up :D!! Unlucky call about the armor and healing... wonder how the guy knew where you lived and why he killed you!

Was Tim the guy that fires the thingies at Ymeo on the previous thread of mine?

Ishmael considers that it wont be good if he actually falls into one of these traps. Seeing as he miscalculated how long it will take him he uses one of the bolts to poke surfaces etc and scan the area ahead of him as he continues walking.

Spoiler
    Show

I will go with the take 20 you suggested for the next part of the tunnel. Better safe than sorry.

24. - Top - End - #954
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    indeed, Tim was. he managed to finish that crawl. Had to beat a dc 20 reflex or die to do it. and a possessed kitchen. And a poltergeist.

You notice a pressure plate before stepping on it, along with two magical traps set to go off if the person steps on a 4' area of the path.

However, you fail to notice the collapsing ceiling trap.

Which presents you with two options: Try to jump forward to avoid it. Some falling rubble will almost certainly hit you, no matter how agile you are, or jump back and be far more likely to escape unharmed.

Spoiler
    Show
    save dc is lower to retreat the way you came, since you're at the edge of the falling ceiling. dc to escape unharmed forward is drastically higher, although a lesser degree of success for a reflex half exists.

which, the high dc is the actual dc, and I'm counting on your evasion to take a reflex half and turn it into a none. The lesser dc is essentially a save or die, for the ceiling collapsing on top of you with its load of rocks is likely to be lethal. The lesser dc represents you managed to escape the worst of the central load.

or, if you don't like the modifications there, It'll just simply be a pass/fail at the higher dc.

25. - Top - End - #955

Spoiler
    Show

Heh kind of a bammer for Tim to survive a save or die and then die of an ambush... hope the same doenst happen for me!

Anyway, for here I think I like your way of reduced dc vs full dc for diffrent options. In this case though Ishmael would try to move forward fearing the path may be blocked and he may lose his target...

Ishmael almost moves in slow motion. Years of training and instictive reflexes take over. The decision is made in split seconds.

Jump forward and face death in the eyes but survive and ensure he can reach his destination.

Jump backwards, avoid death much easier but end up behind a lot of rubble and having to start this mission for the start back at the bank.

Curiosity and boldness take over and shut down the part of the brain that screams what if you get trapped ahead. The Great Kelemvor will provide is the last thought that crosses his mind as he somersaults forward trying to bounch of the side and cross safely pass the falling ceiling.

Spoiler
    Show

Pray, pray pray to Kelemvor... go go Evasion!

(1d20+12)[25]

26. - Top - End - #956
    Titan in the Playground

He gets hit with some falling rubble as he tumbles through, but he does indeed manage to make it through to the other side. He takes only (5d6)[22] damage.

27. - Top - End - #957

Spoiler
    Show

Er... sorry I am unsure how that worked out? Cause you mentioned evasion as well right? i.e. if you succeed then you dont take any rather than take half?

Unless if I failed it but due to less damage I survived :)

Anyway, we are now at a point where I am getting seriously hurt!

Ishmael dusts himself off and looks behind to check if the passage is still passable and hence he would be able to eventually return if he had to.

Somehow he was becoming more certain that either the Jacks did not really care for their man at the entrance or somehow wanted to test him.

He took out two glass vials from his potion belt and downed them in quick succession before contiuing down the passage continuing to be as careful as before and hoping for the best.

Spoiler
    Show

If I have indeed suffered the 22 points I do drink the pots. If evasion saved me after all I dont.

Cure light 1 (1d8+1)[7]
    Cure light 2 (1d8+1)[5]

Also depending how long the passage seems I continue with the take 20 strategy for now.

28. - Top - End - #958
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    sorry, let me try again.

the dc 28 was a reflex half of the 10d6. thus, it's a full save with evasion.

However, since that's suspiciously like save or die, I offered that since you have evasion, it would make sense if you could indeed have a standard half-damage, at a lower dc (20)

since you beat the 20, you take half. However you did not beat the 28 for a "true" save, which for normal people is half, but for you with evasion is none.

did that help clear things up? Basically, i wanted to be able to offer you a partial success option, since a full success was likely difficult.

The passage does a hairpin curve back the direction you came, and ends in a blank wall after 20 feet.

The passage behind you is obstructed, but you think you might be able to shift it enough to escape, provided you have enough time.

29. - Top - End - #959

Spoiler
    Show

Got it, yes makes things much clearer. DC 28 is hardcore but at least I survived :D. Makes me feel silly for taking damage AND ending up at a dead end!

Ishmael first checks the wall thorougly going through every crack to make sure this is indeed a dead end and not another attempt to stop him.

Having done that he turns back and tries to shift through the rubble as quickly as he can while softly cursing at the time.

30. - Top - End - #960
    Titan in the Playground

indeed, it does appear to be a true dead end, and not a hidden passageway.

The rubble takes (3d%)[68] minutes to clear enough for him to squeeze through on a dc 20 escape artist check.