New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 37 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1528

Thread: AvB - Ishmael

1. - Top - End - #1081
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: AvB - Ishmael

Spoiler
    Show

Er you mean I should roll it?

Cause you had told me you do that :)

In any case,

(1d20+3)[7]

I am rolling the base here. I guess I have +10 from the hat and +5 from minor changes as per PHB but those are up to you.

Additionally perhaps wearing the actual uniform of those guys gives a bonus but up to you!

Ishmael does not pause as uncertainty could be attributed to not being sure where he is going if anyone observes him.

He walks slowly and carefully as if making sure he avoids disturbing any of the clients. Thus he spends a few moments to see if someone enters or exits the other rooms and especially the double hinged door so he can get a glimpse of what is behind it.
    AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

2. - Top - End - #1082
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    uniform is why there are minor changes.

and yeah, I'm supposed to roll it, and I know I'm schizophrenic on that one, but if it really bothers you, Rizban can take over for your thread.

The double hinged doors seem to be the backsides of the doors you can see from outside the building, confirmed when a new client enters and is taken to a room on the left, where he emerges a little while later wrapped in a towel.

The ones on the right appear to be private baths.

One of the other servingmen, this one with a silver tracery in his uniform sees you and says, "Are you new here? I thought I knew all the help hired for this shift."
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

3. - Top - End - #1083

Spoiler
    Show

No, no you got me wrong! I'm more than happy with you and the posting rate and everything!!!

In a spoiler in your previous post you said "disguise check" which I assumed meant I should roll it as opposed to the fact that usually you roll em and hence the comment!

I'm good with you rolling them and any other roll which should be kept secret!

Minor mis-understanding ;)

Ishmael looks down kind of distraught and smiles to the man.

"Is it that obvious I am that new?" he says pretending to be embarrashed.

"I started a couple of days ago or so but was told to join the early shift today. Hope I am not stepping on anyones toes" he said carefully trying to built the mans ego.

4. - Top - End - #1084
    Titan in the Playground

"Don't step on a client's toes, or mine, and we'll all survive. Also, what's your name?"
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).

5. - Top - End - #1085

"Yes sir" says a more eager Ishmael and nods at the man.

"Will do more than my best. Anywhere particular you need me Sir?" he continues and tries to somehow handle the towels, pretending its a difficult task in the mean time, so that he can offer his hand to the man.

"David, sir. And may I ask yours?" he says in a respectful tone.

6. - Top - End - #1086
    Titan in the Playground

He shakes your hand, but his eyes narrow when you ask his name. "Do you have a problem remembering names?"

7. - Top - End - #1087

"Its not that" rallied Ishmael or rather David.

"The past few days I have been told the names of many important customers to whom I should pay even more deference and also all the colleagues. I guess I am getting that hang of it but it just is taking me some more time. I promise I will do better Sir."

8. - Top - End - #1088
    Titan in the Playground

"I, however have been overseeing things the past week for the morning shift. I make it my business to know who is working under me. I take it you were with John on the afternoon shift?"

9. - Top - End - #1089

Spoiler
    Show

Could you roll a sense motive for me? Cant recall if you do it auto when I talk to someone or I need to request it.

If you rolled already then ignore this :D

Ishmael tries to see if the man has deceipt in his voice trying to trick him and discover his true identity or at least that he is not part of the actual staff here.

If he does sense deceipt he replies simply "Er... no. Not John sir"

If he doesnt sense deceipt he nods firmly "Yes sir. John it is".

Either way he is ready to spring towards the door he came from since he knows there are a couple of unlocked rooms back there and he will have time to hide if he manages to get out of sight.

10. - Top - End - #1090
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    it never hurts to remind me.

Unfortunately, you can't tell. His face seems impartial and blank, while playing the part.

Spoiler
    Show
    and I'm not sure which one this response qualifies as, so you tell me which one to use. or do another. I'm not picky.

11. - Top - End - #1091

Ishmael vows to himself that his next item will be one that helps him discern lies and mischief. He tries not to shift uncomfortably and nods to the man deciding that its his paranoia making him worry. The man is just doing his business and hopefully have not picked up on anything.

"Yes. I started in the afternoon shift. But they told me I should show up for morning duty." his says goring the man will confuse his uncertainty for stupidity.

12. - Top - End - #1092
    Titan in the Playground

"You truly are bad at names. The evening manager is Jared, the tiefling. Still, you don't have to know peoples' names to call them sir. Go put those towels back and wash the dirty uniforms for tomorrow. If Torkin should ask you to do something, ignore him, he's just a bully. But Travis is my assistant. He speaks for me. Try not to confuse their names."

Satisfied with you, he moves on.

13. - Top - End - #1093

"Yes sir" he says smartly to show he learned the lesson. At the same time somehow confused that his paranoia had it right once more. Perhaps he was psychic or something.

Putting such thoughts out of his head and with the official sanction of the boss he wonders around a bit to familiarise himself with the facility and see if his target is in one of the other rooms. He taker care though to avoid his manager utilising his abilities to make sure of that.

Spoiler
    Show
    essentially looking around the various rooms after returning the towels to their place. Will continue depending on what I find.

14. - Top - End - #1094
    Titan in the Playground

Entering the rooms, he learns that his target is not in one of the labeled rooms. When he asks, he is told that the unlabeled rooms aren't his concern.

Serenipitously, you recall that your mark has a hairy arm.

15. - Top - End - #1095

Spoiler
    Show
    That was evil! But fun!

Off course. How foolish of him. He remembered the glimpse he had gotten from when the man was at the tavern. Ishmael smiled to himself as he spent sometime doing proper errands for the dabbi and then at some point he returns back to the back rooms, goes in stealth mode again and checks the keyhole again in hopes that the man has moved his arm and he can see something more.

Regardless of the result, with the exception of seeing the Toe also there, he hides in the corner of the room overlooking that door and waits patiently like a spider.

Spoiler
    Show
    just to tell you my overall plan so that you are not wondering why the hell I am doing all this. The idea is to discover where the Toe is and get him out of the picture and then return to the banker and explain to him I took care of his problem. Possibly also inform the Watch on what I know of the Jacks by then.

16. - Top - End - #1096
    Titan in the Playground

Indeed, Ishmael can see a bare earthen wall.

While waiting like a spider, Ishmael notices a spider begin spinning a web. An hour later, the spider has finished but no one has entered or exited the door.

17. - Top - End - #1097

Spoiler
    Show
    Poetic :) . Just to clarify. You mean earthen wall as in instead of a standard wall like the rest of the building it seems as if behind this door someone has dug a hole in the ground to create a passage perhaps?

Ishmael passes the time by catching a bug and offering it to the spider. He prays to Kelemvor that some greater power would also offer such a sacrifice to him.

18. - Top - End - #1098
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    bingo

The spider rejects your offering, and your prayer seems to be unanswered.

Then, the spider seems to change its mind and begins to eat your offering. Just as Torkin walks over to the door and opens it.

19. - Top - End - #1099

Ishmael offers a silent thanks to Kelemvor and offers a nod towards the spiders direction.

That was it. His paranoia along with mind powers were definetly something he needed to investigate further.

Without losing a moment and with his back touching the wall he moves forward trying to see whats behind the door and also to hopefully manage and enter before the man closes the door.

Spoiler
    Show

I take it Torkin is the hairy arm bouncer guy? Since I didnt actually know his name but was only told about that name by the "shift manager"?

In any case.

Hide: (1d20+39)[54]
    MS: (1d20+23)[36]

Tumble (to enter without being seen along with him?) (1d20+12)[24]

20. - Top - End - #1100
    Titan in the Playground

You enter along behind him into a wine cellar. Where the far wall is bare earth.

He presses on a seemingly random patch of earth, and a passage forms in front of him.

21. - Top - End - #1101

Ishmael matches his moves trying to step where he steps and avoid the places he avoids
    expecting that there might be traps. He tries not to get too confident but his mood is high at the current point. Things are working out... So far.

22. - Top - End - #1102
    Titan in the Playground

Halfway down the tunnel, Ishmael hears a slight noise behind himself, almost like another footfall is following behind him. When he turns around to look, no one is there.

Of course, so would the Toe think about you...

23. - Top - End - #1103

He freezes for a moment and his paranoia starts singing once again about how he should prepare to meet his patron god for there is no escaping a tunnel where there is one thug ahead and one thug behind.

The problem is, Ishmael considers, he is amazing at hiding and at moving silently. But so are other skulks and what if one of them were to be on a similar mission as him. Whats worse with his eyes and his ears he would be lucky if he actually heard them whisper to him.

It is this that makes him realise that whoever is following is most definitely not a Skulk or really dedicated skulker. He would never be able to tell if he was followed by one of those.

Possibly, he reasons, its the sound of the secret passage sliding into place or someone following the thug to ensure he isnt followed.

His thoughts are broken as he realises he is being left behind. He continues down the passage clutching the cloak tightly on his body and following his quarry hoping that his abilities keep him hidden even if someone is indeed following them.

Spoiler
    Show

Its like the latin... who follows the followers! who skulks on the skulkers!!!

24. - Top - End - #1104
    Titan in the Playground

He manages to follow Torkin all the way to the other end of the passage, where he enters a well-lit chamber that lacks any furnishings withing 10 feet of the entrance.

"Hold it, torkin. Stay at the entrance until we know if you were followed."

Says a new voice seemingly from the ceiling.

25. - Top - End - #1105

Spoiler
    Show

Is there a way for me to stay hidden despite the light?

As far as I understand its not darkness or furniture that are required for skulks as the whole idea is a chameleoline effect so even a wall in bright daylight would be good enough as long as you had not been observed when you made the attempt.

But it does off course require your take on it!

26. - Top - End - #1106
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    nope. The hide skill require either concealment or cover to work without hide in plain sight. Even the skulks chameleon powers don't work without something to help conceal your form. Also, the color-shifting isn't that precise. The Jacks here have tried to even prevent HiPS followers by making sure the one coming in is at least 10 feet away from shadows, breaking even hide in plain sight.

You've found your way to some very sensitive stuff.

1000 xp for that.

27. - Top - End - #1107

Spoiler
    Show

So as far as I see there is no way to enter unnoticed unless something changes significantly correct? I dont suppose hiding at the shadow the Torin actually creates could work? You know like hiding two inches from him literally shadowing his every move? Also you said the chamber is well lit. Is it torches/lanterns or some form of disembodies magic light? Are there any shadows cast by the illumination?

Oh how I wish I had a potion of invisibility now... I kept wanting to buy one but I forgot it in the end...

I am so curious to see whats next I am worried I will do something foolish and end up dieing!!!

Ishmael considers his next move as he pauses at the still darker area. He is ready to spring forward but for now waits. Perhaps someone does indeed follow the various Jacks to make sure they are not followed from outsiders.

Perhaps if he manages to stay unnoticed by a potential pursuer Torin will get the all clear and their guard will be down.

The alternative does off course is there. His hand opens the third part of the potion belt and the small black vial that contains the essence of magical night itself is held firmly in his hands.

The question he asks himself is that even if he does use it to gain entry what is next? They will be aware of him and hence he will be losing his major advantage...

28. - Top - End - #1108
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    well, you can, but it only works on someone facing him front-on. Anyone looking to the sides or behind would see you, since you wouldn't have cover relative to them.

Oh, and I have plans for your character. I promise you that unless you really try, I won't place you in any death traps where you're doomed. I'd love it if you did me the favor of burning down the Flint. It's an annoying trope that I'd love to get revenge on.

You do not see any latnerns or torches, and it is difficult to tell where the light is coming from, as there seem to be no shadows in the entry except the one Torkin is casting outwards.

"Well, time to let the Nose get a sniff."

A shifter whose nose is particularly canid walks over and begins sniffing around.

29. - Top - End - #1109

Spoiler
    Show

Heh, good to know I have the eye of the Gods on me :)

Burning the Flint may be tough but I am sure somehow there is money in it... from an IC stand point Ishmael still does not believe that a place like that is allowed to exist... an open and obvious place where you can hire assassins? What happened to secrecy, skill and cloak and dagger stuff?

On the current situation. I assume the trackless path and innate non-detection dont cut it against scent ability right? Trackless path is vs survival but if I recall scent just... finds you.

As for not entering a death trap... well... its not always easy to know when one is in front of you.

Here for example I really want to continue and see whats further ahead but it seems to risky... already I have discovered what seems to be a pretty much a certain entrance to their lair or one of their lairs and further more it is almost obvious that whoever owns the bath house is somehow involved with them.

The one benefit I have is that I currently smell of... bath-house especially since I went ahead and cleaned some uniforms and stuff :D

Not good considers the skulk. These guys are really organised from this side of the lair. He doubts if what he found a few days before was actually a proper Jacks lair and that the Dayman was the man he met. It was too easy to get there compared to here and practically limited defences.

He takes a few steps back to see if the Nose will sniff only the big illuminated room or if he is also focusing on the corridor. It was a wise decision to not even try and enter that place. Perhaps if he is lucky the Jacks wont use a man to simply guard this place all hours and after Torkin enters they will also go away. Or with any luck the Nose will stay back and he can remove that obstruction.

His other hand opens another pocket of the bandoleer and takes out a vial of scent breaker. If the sniffer does discover him and he has to run away then he will make sure the man cant follow him.

Armed with magic and alchemy and 15 feet away from the illuminated area the skulk waits patiently.

30. - Top - End - #1110
    Titan in the Playground

After a few moments of sniffing around by the entrance and about five feet beyond, the Nose says, "If someone's following you, they're keeping their distance and you'll make it in without them following. Did you wash any clothes recently?"

"No..."

"Then someone who has is tailing you."

"unlucky for them."

"Get on in to Auntie's. I'll find the rat."

Torkin enters the room beyond as the Nose exits and calls out "Ratty rat, you'd better be a skulk and able to run off now, or I'll find you and kill you." He says playfully.