New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1528

Thread: AvB - Ishmael

1. - Top - End - #1111
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: AvB - Ishmael

Ishmael frowns. The shifter was good and had smelled him.

But first thing first for a moment he shifts positions to see where exactly Torkin went in case he will be able to follow and then moves a little backwards as well.

He keeps his eyes on the shifter to make sure he doesnt miss him or give him the chance to hide. He also looks to see if the lights from the main room are extinguished.

It was funny really that particular turn of phrase the man had used. He was a skulk. He was in many ways a rat but he was not about to run. Not yet anyway.

Plus, his paranoia chipped in, you cant really run from a guy that can smell you.

With that unpleasant thought Ishmael considered his options. Defeating the Nose would be usefull in the long run. He doubted the Jacks had many with that ability and along with the inability to hide in plain sight being sniffed was one of his own weaknesses.

Well then, he thought, the game is a foot.

He slowly backed away, step by step while watching the man, to make sure whoever was on the ceiling room would not hear what would eventually happen.

Once satisfied that the sound of battle would not carry, and assuming the sniffer continued to follow him Ishmael takes off the top of the uniform and wraps it around the scentbreaker vial.

Carefully he hides it so that it seems as if some effort was made to hide it or get rid of it in an attempt to lure his pursuer. If he was lucky the vial would drop as the man examined the shirt and would break rendering his ability useless for the moment.

Still the plan was not only that but that even if the man managed to hide from his eyes, should he interact with the shirt Ishmael would see it.

Armed with that knowledge and drawing out his spiked chain for the first time since he fought the evil priests Ishmael chooses a spot a bit behind the shirt and waits.
    AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    you could have just taken the run action while continuing to hide. He could not follow you at that speed, and he would have to give up the chase before entering the bathhouse. Had you used the scentbreaker there, you'd be scott free.

The nose makes no attempt to hide as he walks down the passage, traveling swiftly with an inhuman gait. Five feet beyond the closest point you had come, he says, "What's this, two rats? Or does our rat have a rat?"
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

3. - Top - End - #1113

Spoiler
    Show

I'm confused... does this go to my IC concept for staying as presented in the post or in a "you fool why did you stay now I am forced to kill you" kind of way?

I think I am developing paranoia as a player as well as a character!!!!

Also why would he not be able to reach me? Unless he has something I dont realize we both would move 30 feet so he could easily follow me! And while skulks maintain the hide effect while running they dont maintain the move effect!

Ishmael pauses unsure of whats going on. Could there indeed be another person trying to gain entry here? He had indeed heard a noise but had assumed it was either his imagination or perhaps even this Nose guy.

His senses tense he prepares to run away if things seem to go badly but for now he waits in his hiding spot trying to listen for any movement and positioning himself with his back on the wall so noone can sneak up on him.

Spoiler
    Show

Re-reading the post about the Nose I just realised something. Where did he enter from? The are where Torkin was going or also from the tunnel behind us?

I guess I wrongly assumed he had come from the same tunnel in a "bringing the rear" kind of fashion and as such thought that this was the sound I had heard... only now I realise that perhaps there is the nose ahead of me and someone else behind me... or at least somewhere near me as well... hmm... this complicated things... lets see if my trick draws either of them out.

4. - Top - End - #1114
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    that's a fault of the wording. Hiding is not just the hide skill but both, in my interpretation. Since one without the other is sorta useless.

and you can survive this situation, theoretically.

and he can't take the run action while following your scent. He's reduced to tracking speed. he'd lose it trying to move at even double speed.

The Nose came from the entrance to Auntie's that Torkin went through. He first sniffed Torkin to make sure he was clear, then he spread out into the tunnel. That's where he picked up your trail. Then a second trail.

He continues sniffing out the path you came down. When he encounters your shirt, he says, "Ooh, took your shirt off, did you? Tricky one. I wonder... why did you do that? Doesn't look too confining to me. Is there a pretty treat in here? Lefty! Come find out what's in this shirt for me! Pappa Spider! The place is yours until I get back!"

The last two commands were shouted behind him. His back is turned to you while he does so.
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).

5. - Top - End - #1115

Spoiler
    Show

He seems to be perfectly capable to see in the dark right?

Also could you tell me if he is carrying/holding a weapon and if he is armored?

I like the "theoretically" can survive :D. My idea was to lure him (if he will come) inside the bath. There everyone smells of soap and water and I can hide in the crowd and recreate a murder scene as I stab him and then hide among the screaming people... or something :)

The 2nd smell who does not belong to them is very worry-some.

Ishmael moves so that he is 60 feet away from the man and keeps his eyes on him. He re-considers as there seem to be more Jacks arriving or at least guarding the entrance and he wonders if he can lure the sniffer away from them.

He has one stunt to pull if things end up souring and so though he is not sure of himself he does not flee immediatetly.

Spoiler
    Show

I dont know if I can do that since we are not in combat but if I can I will ready vs attack as I expect either him or another person to be close to attacking me.

6. - Top - End - #1116
    Titan in the Playground

"Hm... wait! I recognize those smells. One smells of sewer, the other of soap, but they're both the same race. Skulkies, I hope you're too stupid to run. I'd love to kill the both of you and make an example."

He continues to methodically advance towards your position.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm sorry, I'll need you to specify exactly what standard action you are preparing and what specifically will be the triggering condition for it.

7. - Top - End - #1117

Spoiler
    Show

There are more SKULKS here?

Crap! That makes things really interesting and... dangerous.

And this guy is far too confident.

Scratch the ready (if its not too late).

Ishmael's eyes widen. Another skulk? Was he being followed or where the skulks trying to invade the Jacks.

Whatever it was getting caught in a turf war between the apparent leaders of the underworld in the city was not something he was interested in. He had the info on how to get in here and there would be more chances to do it... perhaps with an army of Watchmen.

Keeping his eyes on the hunter he methodically walks away from him on a normal speed but without running.

He also looks around in case his brother skulk got careless and of all people can spot him.

At the same time he uses the hat to dispel the disguise he was using with the exception of the clothes and details. He now looks like his real skulk self but wearing the clothes of the bath-house stuff minus the shirt. It would not be funny if the other skulk thought him a human and ended up attacking him instead!

He wonders if there was a way for the other skulk to help him gang up on this fool.

8. - Top - End - #1118
    Titan in the Playground

A little farther on, and you're back in the bathhouse cellar. As if in answer to your thoughts, the other skulk appears and says, "We've been watching you for some time. It has been useful to have one of our own acting freely that we can deny any association with to the guard if they press the violation of our truce. You're quite good, I've gotta say. Your body count is low, but then, if it was any higher, your cover would be blown and we'd be out an informant. Now you've lead us right to the heart of our biggest rivals. We want to reward you for that."

The Nose does not follow the two of you back into the cellar. About ten feet from the door, he said, "Run off, rats. When you come back, I'll kill you."

Spoiler
    Show
    there was one time when you didn't use the cloak of hobbitkind that a very sharp-eyed skulk lurking through the city caught sight of you on a low roll. He followed you until you finally stopped hiding and slept, where he went back and reported a rogue skulk. They've been keeping someone directly observing you day and night ever since. All their operatives they sent had at last a +15 to h/ms checks, guaranteeing that you'd be unable to find them with your negative modifiers.

so, he actually hasn't been paranoid. They really have been following him.

9. - Top - End - #1119

Spoiler
    Show

I knew it! They are everywhere!!! They are coming through the walls!!! Plus to be fair a ms/hide skulk with +15 should not be that hard to come by!!! and with my listen/spot even if they had less I would need extremely high rolls so I'm not suprised ;)

If they have -1- person watching me it would not be that hard to make them lose the trail again... if its this guy for example ;).

Dead skulks tell no tales.

"Shut up you sniffing bastard and come out here if you are man enough" calls out Ishmael to the Nose before taking a step back into the shadows and motioning to the other skulk.

It has been a long time since he has seen another of his kind and on one hand he feels some joy on the other he wonders if they expect him to be a homicidal maniac as well. He switches to Undercommon for the first time in months and the words feel like honey on his tongue as he whispers.

[undercommon] "First of all well met brother. Second of all I am unsuprised I had not seen you before but you got sloppy and I almost heard you back there... that was indeed a suprise along with the fact that you had seen me... it seems I need to be even more careful in the future." he says with a smile.

[undercommon] "In any case I have little love and personal things with the Jacks so it is my pleasure to help and if there is a reward then even better. I would gladly work against them to further my own and the clans interests. Here is where the but comes though. I do not consider myself rogue but I do consider myself an individual and I do not plan to compromise that... I have my own affairs and they are important to me... leaving a trail of bodies is nor my style nor my calling..." he says a bit more firmly.

10. - Top - End - #1120
    Titan in the Playground

"Oho, stupid rats!" He calls out as his steps come this way. "The Nightman won't mind if I catch a skewer of rats for him."

"You can discuss all such details with the clan chief. Right now, let's just survive the Sniffling One."

Spoiler
    Show
    btw, I use quotes around italics for undercommon. that's actually why dominari and obscuro are ilalicized.

The Nose steps out into the Cellar and drops a vial.

Spoiler
    Show
    You get an AoO, but then make a fortitude save before your initiative roll.

11. - Top - End - #1121

Spoiler
    Show

I was typing on my phone like crazy to make it before the database update and then my phone close because of power.... grrrr...

Anyway. I will follow your lead for Undercommon.

The moments before the Jack approaches Ishmael looks at the other skulk curiously.

“Is he that big a deal and threat? You really think the two of us cant take him on his own?” He said half-concerned and half-annoyed that the mighty skulk that was sent to track him and bring info on the Jacks was not acting as bravely as he would have expected.

He waits for a moment to hear an answer from his new companion and then looks at the approaching shifter.

He did not expect an easy fight off course but could this creature be that dangerous that the other skulk was almost panicked?

Before he could consider further the changeling drew the potion and Ishmael knew that this would not be pleasant whatever it was.

Without a sound and not planning to find out if this guy was really tough he swung the chain flicking the small switch the last moment sending sparks along its length with the exception of his hand hold. Similarly focusing on the enchantment Hagan had placed on it he made the spikes fill with acid putting almost a part of his own essence behind the blow.

“Send my regards to Kelemvor” he whispered as the chain was about to connect.

Spoiler
    Show

Activating the quick spark and using caustic surge. The part about putting my essence is because this acidic thing is usable 1 time / con bonus times per day so to me it has to do with how tough you are to use it :D

To hit (1d20+11)[29] – in case of crit confirm (1d20+11)[15]
    Damage (2d4+7)[12]
    Not sure if this guy will suffer sneaks but I sure hope so… (3d6)[15]
    Caustic Surge (2d6)[6]
    Electricity (1d6)[4]

Oh and I designate him as my dodge opponent!

Also:

Fortitude (1d20+6)[15]
    and Initiative: (1d20+6)[11]

12. - Top - End - #1122
    Titan in the Playground

Your chain strikes him a mighty blow, and the other skulk follows your lead and his dagger finds its way to a kidney.

Unfortunately, the choking fumes leave you gagging and wretching. You are sickened for the first round.

and he won initiative on you, but not the other skulk.

His claws take on a feral aspect, his eyes fill with rage, and his wounds begin healing.

His claws tear into you twice for (2d6+12)[17] plus (1d6)[1] acid (2d6+12)[22] plus (1d6)[1] acid.

He then turns around and gives a similar treatment to the other skulk, who is barely standing after the blows. The shifter still seems quite healthy.

13. - Top - End - #1123

Spoiler
    Show

Ouch! This monster has 4 attacks per round AND reach? That I did not expect!

I am left with 6 hit points so I am gonna go for a gamble and well... Kelemvor protects. Even if I try and heal it wont be enough to survive another round of this.

The burst of blood sends Ishmael reeling as the blow misses his jugular by an inch. He screams in pain and as the second blow, more severe than the first, also lands his armor and his reflexes are not good enough to take him away from harms way.

He coughs up blood in between the fits of almost vomit that try to reach the surface after the noxious gas has made him sick.

The floor is slick with blood and his eyes wide in surprise and terror Ishmael looks upon the assailant with dread and rage mixed. And all because he got overconfident based on what he had heard of the skulks.

His mind is made. Judging from the extent of his injuries if he allows the creature to hit him one more time he will die. He has one option only.

Using his own blood as a helpful agent he tries to tumble backwards to avoid being attacked as he moves away from the Nose.

When he looks up from 15 feet away, covered in blood he growls softly and makes as if to strike with the large chain. A mere distraction in reality. He focuses at the edge of his finger and breathes out.

"DIE YOU FREAKING MUTATED MONSTER" he calls out.

Spoiler
    Show

Okay here we go:

first of all tumble back : (1d20+12)[25]

And here comes out hopeless attack

Full blast of all my stored energy Touch attack for (1d20+8)[28] (I have applied the -2 for sickened) - in case of crit confirm (1d20+8)[22].

Damage: (15d6)[42]
    sneak (3d6)[13]

I also designate him as my dodge opponent...

EDIT: OH MY!!!!!!!

Its a crappy damage roll for 15d6 but its a crit!!!!!!! First time I crit with a ray!!!!

97 POINTS OF DAMAGE!!! MASSIVE DAMAGE AS WELL!!! KELEMVOR HEARS ME!

Last edited by Monodominant; 2011-06-06 at 01:49 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1124
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    erm, it's supposed to be whichever of those illness conditions leaves you vomiting and unable to act. still, other than him taking 2 turns, yeah, your actions resolve so I'll use them.

Against all hope, you struck him square between the eyes with your blast. His vaunted nose burns away to nothing as his head is cooked.

Spoiler
    Show
    wow. Talk about dramatic timing.

15. - Top - End - #1125

Spoiler
    Show

Heh well better for me! sickenes is the -2 one... not sure which one makes you helpess save paralysis. But now I want some of those vials too!

Man I was about to kiss the character good bye and especially I was thinking how stupid I was to not get the hint... and especially after I was commenting on the recruitment thread about encounters not necessarily used on a level to level basis.

Still pretty dramatic and if he had gotten 1 more hit in I was dust.

Ishmael coughs and vomits his body shaking from the shock of expelling all that magic. His eyes unfocus and he almost loses consciousness when the thoughts at the back of his mind scream at him to snap out of it.

He looks at the skulk that was behind the Nose and he carefully gets back on his feet. He snaps the chain back to get the blood of it and puts in a new quickspark capsule. Then trying to act as if he is in control and not as badly wounded he drinks a small vial and whispers to his companion.

"You bring me good luck brother. We shall go to the chief but we will make a stop first cause I will not walk around the city in this state. If you disagree you can taste some more of my might but I wont risk meeting another Jack as we are. You can either follow me or meet me at the entrance to the Docks. I will be there." he says and quickly searches the body of the Nose for valuable loot and magical items which he puts in his sack.

"Also try and wash yourself. I dont know if this is the only hunter they have and I dont plan to find out before I am back on full strength" he says and throws his last scentbreaker on the ground after he loots the corpse.

"Oh and... before you go. This is one of those victims whose head we really should take unless if you think we can take the whole body so we can use it for post-mortem interrogation" he says seriously.

16. - Top - End - #1126
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    well, nauseated was what I meant. I guess you got to take a move action in there if you want. He'd still be able to close the gap and pounce.

and yeah, I am glad you survived. He figured he'd take you out with one set of blows. When that failed, he thought he'd take out the other one whose sneak attack hurt more and then mop you up. A lucky crit saved you from a nasty end.

You then notice that your comrade was lying on the floor bleeding.

17. - Top - End - #1127

Spoiler
    Show

Yea if those 2 acid rolls where any better he WOULD have taken me out!!!!

Er did that happen before or after? Do you mean he was bleeding as a result of combat at the end or more like it seems someone hit him just now?

If its the first then could I feed him the cure light instead? I forgot to roll for it anyway.

If you will allow it he regains (1d8+1)[7] and I will also use my hat of disguise to make me look as if my clothes are not bloodied and torn so as to minimise the impression of how much damage I suffered.

Last edited by Monodominant; 2011-06-06 at 02:38 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1128
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    he was bleeding as a result of the attacks and you didn't notice in the confusion of the moment.

After giving him the potion, he opens his eyes and says, "Thank you, brother. We've now killed together and you've saved my life. I count you a brother of blood." He slips on a ring and disappears from sight. "Now then, let's get out of here and meet with the clan."

19. - Top - End - #1129

Ishmael smiles realising that a ring that helps one's abilities is even better protection than mere shadows. Until he learns how to hide in plain shadows at least like that university professor.

He looks at the wounded skulk and nods.

"You can call me by my name brother. Ishmael. I am glad to have ensured your survival and to have fought this monster with you..." he says and then looks around again and repeats his words as before he had realised the other skulk was done.

-=

"You bring me good luck brother. We shall go to the chief but we will make a stop first cause I will not walk around the city in this state. If you disagree you can taste some more of my might but I wont risk meeting another Jack as we are. You can either follow me or meet me at the entrance to the Docks. I will be there." he says and quickly searches the body of the Nose for valuable loot and magical items which he puts in his sack.

"Also try and wash yourself. I dont know if this is the only hunter they have and I dont plan to find out before I am back on full strength" he says and throws his last scentbreaker on the ground after he loots the corpse.

"Oh and... before you go. This is one of those victims whose head we really should take unless if you think we can take the whole body so we can use it for post-mortem interrogation" he says seriously.

=-

Spoiler
    Show

Presumably the actions apart from the words are already one...

20. - Top - End - #1130
    Titan in the Playground

He pulls out a portable hole and drags the body into it.

"We'll see what the black robes can do about that. As for the gear on the oaf, that can be yours. The Clan has their own wealth of items, while you seem rather sparse."

The Nose had two rings, a pair of boots, gauntlets, and a cloak which was magical.

"We'll go by at nightfall. Should be plenty of time to prepare yourself."

21. - Top - End - #1131

The body secured, the items taken, the area "decontaminated" via scentbreaker Ishmael looks around to see if any detail was not taken care of and if realises his blood is all over the place.

"Er..." he says as he considers that someone having his blood would make it easy to track him despite his innate non-detection and resistance to such effect.

With care not to step on it he removes a vial of acid and spreads it around to make sure any blood traces are ruined and destroyed.

He looks back one last time promising himself he will be back... Before setting out though he uses the hat and takes the appearance of the Nose.

"Just in case"
    he whispers to his comrade.

Since the other skulk trusts him he does not try to escape or flee. He tries to leave the building he came in hidden and without making any fuss. After all Torkin is still alive and it is not worthwhile to blow this entrance way.

Spoiler
    Show

I do the following overall... dont know if I need to rp it and I dont have a problem doing so just think they are mundane for the most part.

1) get one of my other normal outfits and change into that one
    2) burn the old clothes
    3) get a bath
    4) get the items identified if Hagan is available to do so
    5) Replenish my alchemical suppliers ( 2 x scent breakers, 2 x acid, 1 x alchemist fire) and buy 3 cure light potions.
    6) Go to Kelemvors temple (I guess this last part may need rping?) and ask for magical healing
    7) If my skulk comrade is around I ask him if he can help me "recharge" by using the wand if he can use it.

22. - Top - End - #1132
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    you can skip to step 4. You'll need to rp that one, since hagan is a pc. go to him on the City Streets.

you successfully escape the bathhouse.

23. - Top - End - #1133

Spoiler
    Show

The post is in city streets is done.

Shall we say that the identification is the last step so we can do the rest until Rizban can answer?

Perhaps the temple thing and/or the wand usage thing first?

24. - Top - End - #1134
    Titan in the Playground

Your skulk buddy helps you "recharge".

Spoiler
    Show
    if you'll start up the kelevmor scene by walking to the temple IC, we'll be underway.

25. - Top - End - #1135

After eating some iron rations and collecting the alchemical items he needs he has the skulk use the wand on him as much as possible.

Ishmael thanks his new skulk friend and leaves the wand back as it is now completely empty of power. He will have to get a new one sooner rather than later he considers as he expends a couple of energy levels to close the most obvious of his wounds.

He travels through the city cloaked in darkness and munching on some more food on the way until he finds himself in the Temple district before the temple of Kelemvor. He uses the hat to alter his appearance to that of a generic human but leaves one thing unchanged as he brings it to the forth from the chain that hangs across his neck. The ring he wears as a pendant that has the symbol of his order as well as the symbol of Kelemvor engraved on it.

26. - Top - End - #1136
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    oh, I forgot to tell you: you get to decide the overall layout and motif of the temple to Kelemvor. You're the first one to go there and as one of the faithful, your character would likely know about it.

it also helps give me something to work with, as I am not that familiar with FR deities.

Passing through the temple district, there seems to have been a disturbance over near the temple to Tiamat, but whatever it is seems to have been resolved for now.

27. - Top - End - #1137

Ishmael has a look towards the whole disturbance business but does not really bother. He keeps his eyes open in case any of those involved is someone he recognizes or if anything significant is happening but he overall doesnt pay too much attention to them if they are not on his way.

Spoiler
    Show

Briefly for Kelemvor: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Kelemvor

Overall to give you an idea he represents a God of Death that is not evil or mean. Where Bhaal, Cyric, Myrkul and all those types were generally evil he is neutral.

He is more like a divine judge for the dead like Helm is for the living... The coolest feature is his outlook on faith. Kelemvor passes initial judgement on souls after they wait an X amount of time in the waiting halls of the Crystal palace (X being the time before someone tries to use raise dead on them).

He decides if based on the God they believe in they perfomed correctly (and thus sends them to their Gods plane) or wrongly (and thus sends them to the relevant hell).

If someone was an atheist or unbeliever he is made into a brick in the wall surrounding his palace.

They generally believe that death is a natural progression of life and hence should not be feared but at the same time it should not be come any sooner than is necessary cause then the soul does not have the opportunity to live fully and offer a full account for judgement... oh and also they really hate undead.

In this setting since there are no resurrections Kelemvor would be even more powerful!

Ishmael finds himself before a medium sized temple made of white marble and dark obsidian in equal measures. Though Kelemvor was not a God that wanted to cause fear in his believers most of his temples once belonged to Myrkul and that was a much darker deity.

The temple itself is not as inviting as others but there is a steady trickle of people as it is generally considered a privilege to have funerary rites performed by the priests of Kelemvor who take great pride in the safe-keeping of the bodies and souls of the dead.

The inside of the temple features many of Kelemvor's calling card. Skull and bone motifs and brass reliefs showing images of the Crystal city as the various "trials" are being performed are in many places.

The scythe and the scales of justice held by a skeletal hand adorn the large alter found in the middle of the room and numerous candles are burning around it. The place is rather dark but not bleak and the smell of incense and myrrh creates a bitter sweet atmosphere to those present to mourn the passing of their loved ones.

At the back of the temple there is a small cemetery where graves for the priests that have served the temple are present. Similarly under the temple catacombs that serve as private resting place for some of the city's most notable nobles that have entrusted the safe keeping of family tombs to the Kelemvorites.

By the door and by the altar two Doomguides keep watch over the going on's in the temple and various acolytes move back and forth between visitors and mourners alike and divert them depending on what they need.

Spoiler
    Show

Hope this is good enough?

28. - Top - End - #1138
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    perfect

Upon seeing a lone figure enter at dusk, one of the two doomguides says, "What brings you to seek the Halls so late in the day?"

29. - Top - End - #1139

Ishmael inclines his head to these defenders of Kelemvor's will and shows the scratches on his arm.

"I was attacked but my time has not come yet and as such seek the healing that perhaps a devotee of the Great Judge can offer me. It was by the will of Kelemvor that I survived and as such I wish to make an offering and pray as well as receive healing." he says honestly moving so that the ring becomes obvious to them.

30. - Top - End - #1140
    Titan in the Playground

He notes it. "Indeed, it is always a cause for gratitude when one is spared the judgment just yet."