New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1528

Thread: AvB - Ishmael

1. - Top - End - #1201
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: AvB - Ishmael

Spoiler
    Show
    which monster?

"Well, I can see in some ways you're not actually all that special. You've got the same dumbfounded look on your face all the males get. Well, I'm here to teach you. What do you want to learn?"
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Nimblewrights. MMII page 162

They are cool, not that well known, moderate CR, not too lethal even for 1 vs 1 (if the person does not stand his ground) and more importantly a mix of construct and spy without going the warforged way!

A bit taken aback Ishmael frowned at the young woman.

"I am not dumbfounded because of your curves or features, sister, I am dumbfounded because of your color and style. It almost reminds me of something else" he said a bit aggressively her words having stung him.

"In any case, m'lady Gorga, I wish to learn our ways, our traditions and our beliefs. The White-Robed told me that I should speak with you. I do not know what the right questions are so I wish to know everything..." he said eagerly.
    AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Titan in the Playground

"I see that the smart priests decided to make you a man then teach you our ways. Ironic, but flattering. Don't let you head swell up too large now. Follow me, and we'll see what I can teach you."

The chief says as the two of you leave "Best of luck with that one. I may be the most deadly skulk alive and her grandfather, but even I have troubles with her. Be careful. She's the ultimate paragon of my late son's research."
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).

4. - Top - End - #1204

"I shall make sure nothing happens to her while also making sure I am in one piece sire" he says trying to maintain his optimism and overall appreciation of the situation.

"It was a pleasure to meet you Chief. I hope I shall prove worthy of your trust and also of the experiences you had with my now lost clan" he said a bit more seriously as he turned to follow the woman turning for a moment to look at Torgun and inclining his head to him.

With that he turned to look at the woman appreciating whatever experiments had lead to what he had before him as he walked behind her trying to catch up.

"So? Where are we going?" he asked to break the ice that he felt was quickly forming.

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Titan in the Playground

"Someplace private. I don't particularly like the crowded audience room. Twenty bodyguards seems excessive to me."

6. - Top - End - #1206

Ishmael lets a gasp escape his lips. He had guessed there were bodyguards but 20 of them was more than excessive! The old skulk was just as paranoid as him!

"Yes, not alot mind you... its always good to have enough bodies to throw at your enemies... just as long as they are not that many that would become bothersome if you ended up facing a necromancer..." he said and smiled as he finally caught up with her.

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Titan in the Playground

"My point exactly, but the old codger wouldn't hear of having less than a full score of minions to defend himself." She stops without warning in front of a door.

"We're here. want to be the gentleman and open the door for me?"

8. - Top - End - #1208

"Not particularly... but since you ask so nicely..." he says not convinced its not some kind of trap or a test.

He looks at the door expectantly ready to suffer from a poison needle or electricity on the nob and knowing he cant really just stop to investigate it he pushes it open for her careful not to turn his back at her fully.

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Titan in the Playground

Nothing terrible happens as he opens the door. She saunters on inside and says, "Well, you're not bad at that. Not bad at all. Now then, you say you want to know everything? Where do you want to start?"

10. - Top - End - #1210

"Our history and rituals perhaps?" he said relieved nothing bad had happened so far.

"I have learned that once there were other clans but they are now all part of your fathers rule. I have learned that there is a priesthood but I am not sure who exactly they and... we? are supposed to worship. The constant reminder is that apart from our own hate we also care for sacrifices but I am unsure to what end..." he stopped to see her expression before continuing.

"In general, lady, consider me a newborn for I have lived away from skulks since I was four and know next to nothing of what it is to be one... and even more so about the community here... Whatever you tell me will be new to me and I am eager to learn of my people."

11. - Top - End - #1211
    Titan in the Playground

"There were seven clans originally, spread thin throughout the city. We had to fight and scurry in the shadows to survive. Over time, the Venom Spiders and the Shadow Thieves emerged as the only two clans surviving, the others either wiped out through the efforts of the dominari or by fighting with the other clans."

"If their names seem similar to our chief's title, there's a reason for that. He was born in the Shadow Thieves, but fell in love with a Venom Spider. When they finally realized their love, the two clans at last ceased their war. Personally, I think the fact that most of their best warriors had already killed each other had a lot to do with it. The chief used his marriage to the Spider Chief's daughter to rise to prominence within their clan, while the Shadow Thieves honored him for his guile and prowess. Then, one night, he and twenty able assassins from both clans staged a double coup. When dawn broke, the chief was the undisputed ruler of both clans."

"That was Fifty years ago. He earned the title Shadow Spider in the chain of events leading up to the coup, for he seemed to be devoted to both clans and there were some who said that he was from both clans. The priesthood came ten years after that. I don't know exactly why they came or where they came from, but the original four black robes and one white robe who entered the city one day were not from either clan."

"In the two generations that followed, the two clans were interbred until every child born today has multiple ties to both, making it impossible for anyone to claim to be from one clan or the others. Grandfather began a program of arranged matings for the new clan to ensure this exact outcome. His son, my father, took this program and used it to try and 'perfect' our race. I was the only female to survive, while you should pray every night to your Kelemvor that you never meet my brothers."

"As for the priests, our religion centers around the Dark One. His true name is a secret that only the white robes are said to know. I personally don't know if grandfather is their secret leader or their messiah, for they do not seem to begrudge at all that they must play a role subservient to his."

"As for the sacrifices, the black robes need them for their various rituals involving the Dark One, while the blood of humans is collected and used in blood rituals to grant blessings to our clan. They say that when enough dominari are offered to the Dark One, he shall come down in person to lead us on a crusade to wreak ultimate revenge on the dominari."

12. - Top - End - #1212

Ishmael listens intently as the story unfolds nodding at a couple of points where he would do the same but otherwise staying silent. When the woman finishes he looks at her with more respect than before.

"The Kelemvor you mention... he is not a flimsy god of thieves or something. I pray to him on occasion for he is the God of Death and in my line of business it is good to every now and then pray to the guy to whom you sent souls to so that he chooses to ignore you."
    he said a bit defensively.

"What about the Red robe that I have heard and what about you? You moon-light as a storyteller or the one that knows the history of the clan? Why was I told to specifically find you?" he said cautiously. "Oh and what kind of rituals can bestow power? I thought that was just religious mambo jambo..."

"Also... are all members of the tribe warriors of one kind or another? I mean the underworld of the sewers is an okay place to use but until such a time as the dominari are extinct what does the day to day involve? Is there time for one to enjoy what he or she has or is there a constant struggle which is the essence and core of our being?"

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Titan in the Playground

"To well pray to a god to whom you send souls to to make sure you are not payed attention to is probably wise to do. To." She says slightly mockingly.

"The Red Robe is a myth that the ignorant in the clan make up. A singular priest who rules the white priests. The myth says that he is a white robe so devoted to sacrifice and death that his robe is permanently stained with the blood of the slain. Many say that my grandfather is this red robed priest, for how else can it be that he seems to control the priesthood that stands to have none other even their equal, much less their superior. I know my grandfather, and I believe that he commands them because they know better than to betray the man who single-handedly joined the clans."

"Oh, me? Why, I am the result of a line of bloody genetic experiments where my father would rape females of various races and use black magic to force fertility. Often with the poor girl would be forcibly hybridized with some other creature first. I happen to be the offspring of a skulk and a nymph whose life force was bound with a succubus. I serve many roles within the skulk community. Historian and lorekeeper being the most public of such roles. Why am I the lorekeeper? Well, it is believed that I will age as a succubus does, so they thought it would be wise to leave me in charge of our lore. It leaves me plenty of time for my hobbies."

"Mostly, the rituals are ones of transferring life essence from one being to another. Binding their screaming souls to years of agonizing existence to enhance your abilities. I promise you, it's not mumbo-jumbo. It's real. I hear the agonizing screams of the souls every time the white robes walk by. That's how I know grandfather isn't the red robe. His aura is silent."

"Oh, no, good gracious. Most are not warriors. However, all of us are killers. Just part of growing up in the Shadow Spider clan is learning which end of a knife to place where in a dominari's back. Most of our days consist of scratching a living out of the hellholes we call come. Oh, and killing any dominari we can find at night. Most of our days are spent stealing what we need to survive, but in the daytime when the shadows are too short to allow us all to hide, there is quite a bit of time for... personal hobbies. At least if you're powerful and connected enough to not be the poor grunts who must work all day for a living."

14. - Top - End - #1214

Ishmael was a bit taken aback at his people allowing themselves to live like this. He was not suprised by the genetic experiments though mixing third races and creatures was somewhat weird and dangerous. Still his mind returned to the difficult daily existence of his people.

"But why? I mean, sure venturing outside openly is dangerous due to the atmosphere of fear but overall those with our talents should be at least well to do. We are on par with the Jacks and they have a criminal organization that is pretty profitable. Why not us?" he asked curiously.

"Could we not somehow profit from eliminating dominari or others? I managed to sneak inside an entrance to Auntie's and defeat the Nose. I am sure sneaking in a bank and removing a lot of cash so as to improve conditions of living or even purchase land under guises should not be too hard if we put our mind to it? We could even plant evidence to frame the Jacks or some other fool..." his tone rising a bit.

"Also I was told about a ritual that will imbue my weapon with a bane to humans and make me an official clan member. When will that happen? Is it a private affair or something that will be witnessed by the clan? I was wondering if there is a way to make it so my favored implement of death cause silence on those it strikes or even better radiate silence when I activate it. It would help against cries of alarm and such..."

He stopped for a moment considering something he had been told.

"Do those rituals help shield us even more from scrying? Improve our natural non-detection so to speak? Even somehow make it impossible for someone to see into the lairs?"

"Oh and is there anything else I should know? Someone I should try not to offend? Do we have any other enemies other than the Jacks or problem causers and any allies on the surface among the other races?"

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Titan in the Playground

"So many questions. Anyone ever call you a blabbermouth?"

"Anyways, there is a certain level of wealth we do possess, but it is not as great as you think. The truce ensures that we are unmolested by the city watch, and they actually actively aid us in keeping the Jacks out, but the docks and the slums are the poorest parts of town. You think then what does the treaty really benefit us? Simple: we are safe. For perhaps the first time in the history of the clan, we can move through our territory without fear. More wealth can be had in other parts of town, but that wealth hires bodyguards and is quite dangerous. If we as a people began stealing all we could from the dominari and their allies, we would soon be hunted down, and we simply do not yet have the power to win this city by force. However, the Spider has a plan in the works, one that will take generations to complete, but when it does, I will lead our people in taking this city, down to the last whelp of a dominari child."

"All your suggestions sound wise, but again, the only reason we are allowed to walk in the city without death warrants over our heads is because of the treaty. Even then, I am sure you have found that had you not disguised yourself, you would not be nearly so welcome as you are. And one cannot build a society on such disguises. Our plans take a long view."

"That will happen as soon as we are done here. Further enchantments are possible, but will require a payment from you. The black robes are more than willing to tell you their prices."

"Yes and no. Your obscura is difficult to enhance, for first the magic must find it, a tricky task. However, it is possible to add... parallel defenses to it which cover its weaknesses. And yes, our lairs have their own obscura built around them drenched heavily in powerful protective enchantments. If a mage were to scry our location right now, all he would see is yet another sewer main."

"Well, there's me for starters. And the black robes, white robes, my grandfather, and my aunts. They all were married off to important children of the old two clans, and carry a lot of influence. my oldest cousin likes you, though, so you're off to a good start. Oh, and it would be best if you played along like you mindlessly hated humanity like a good little skulk. Grandfather and I see the great potential in you since you do not let zeal or piety come before common sense, but the zealots both in robes and those who don't would take exception to you. Don't worry, it's a quirk of my heritage, I can see auras, and yours lacks the distinctive sharp bitterness of a hatred taught you beyond reason. I find you eminently useful aand interesting. YOu have nothing to fear from me."

"The Jakcs are our biggest opposition to expanding into the city proper, but there are a dozen or more lesser gangs we will have to fight for over the turf when the Jakcs fall. We have no allies, for alliances are built on trust. We do, however, have a pawn or two on the surface, whose usefulness comes from their secrecy. Secrets best kept by two: me and the agent himself, and possibly not even him. Grandfather has his own agents as well, but neither of us know the others' agents."

16. - Top - End - #1216

"Yes many times..." he said in response to the blabbermouth comment. "but I find that knowledge is better than ignorance and I care to know about our people even if that makes me annoying with all my questions." he concluded. "Oh and where is your father now?" he asked not sure if this subject was taboo or not since she was pretty open about how she had come to be...

"Also... I would suggest something other than simply stealing from Nobles. I hear there is a bounty on Jacks. Dont just ... well... destroy them. After you kill one of them and use his body for interrogation as I assume and hope we do then deliver them to the watch and claim the rewards. Similar business can be done with other gangs..." he said considering the option as something he had planned to do. "For example I hope that the Black Robes will use the body of the Nose to glean important information since as we say dead men always tell the truth. Even I have a question for him so that I can finally learn where to find the Toe who was my primary target..." he said with a grin.

"The reason I bring it up is because during my ventures in the city I met a fairly interesting individual. He is not working against us as far as I could tell but he had looked into the clan and he mentioned that he was blind when it came to the sewers despite his attempts. He is also against the Jacks by the way... for whatever reason it seems they have ruffled far too many feathers though personally I would bet that the man or woman above the Dayman and Nightman are a fairly influential Noble..."
    finally expressing what he had been thinking about the Jacks all along but was worried it would sound crazy.

When the woman started talking about being able to... read him Ishmael tensed worried that she would perhaps try to attack him. When she expressed her opinion openly he calmed a bit.

"I believe that it was my mentoring that lead me to a more calculated use of anger and hatred rather than a blanket feeling that ends up putting me in danger. I am glad to hear that you and your grandfather are more... open minded. Some humans are useful tools and some humans are currently far too powerful that one should not be offended to act like a remoras fish. But I will pay attention not to express that sentiment. I imagine that when one is forced to live in the sewers and rely on a treaty not to be hunted looking at those above positively under any circumstance is not a possibility... Is your cousin one of the more zealous ones?"

"In any case... Do I get a tatoo by the way? Showing clan and allegiance? Oh and is there anything I can do for you as a token of my appreciation for your sharing all this with me? And the same for your grandfather... something I can do for him?"

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Titan in the Playground

"I see you're wise enough that you'd rather be foolish than ignorant. Cute trait in boys. Dear old Daddy, I am sad to say, was turned upon by my brothers who ate him, thinking that like the monsters whose blood ran in their veins that it would gain them magic powers. Luckily, it didn't. Luckily for us, they left the clan to go a-hunting on their own, and we've never seen them since. Poor daddy, the offspring of his rapes eventually took revenge for their mothers."

"You know, that's a brilliant idea! Why didn't I think of that? Oh wait, that's because except for the very most valuable bounties, their bodies are worth more to us as materials for the priests' blood magic. Another problem is that the watch really prefers them to be brought in alive. I think you see the difficulties with that. They'd likely decide to cancel the bounty if we killed them one by one, the honest ones because they don't want the Jacks massacred, the smart ones because they're cheap tightwads. The plan is, though, to bring in all the bounties worth 10,000 or more. The lesser ones are more useful to us as blood sacrifices or raw materials."

"Oh, another person whose goals... intersect ours in wishing the Jacks gone? That's always lovely. Do you know his name? And yes, I agree with you, the Upright Man must be a noble. I've bet a free enhancement with Grandfather that it's a noble. He says that it must be a man posing as a common merchant."

"Not particularly, but he is quite true to the faith, if you catch my drift."

She looks at you for a moment, and something odd happens. She laughs, a genuine laugh of mirth devoid of any bitterness or sarcasm. Her voice which had been constantly.... seductive before became truly charming in that moment of genuine happiness. At that moment, irrational thoughts fill your mind unbidden of what such beauty should be for. You suspect now that her attitude may be more than simply a sour disposition. She regains control of herself, and the moment of magic is gone.

"I am sorry, but where did you get the idea of a tattoo from? Secret wish growing up to have your clan's mark inked into your cute little tush? As for what you can do for me and Grandfather, stay... interesting and useful to the clan's future good."

18. - Top - End - #1218

The moment of real charm takes him aback. The seductiveness that although does not go unnoticed is too obvious for him to fall that easy though he guesses that if she chose to use her succubus gifts he would be unable to resist.

His mind flies momentarily to Jezleen and he wonders if how he felt with her because of him not having a people to belong to and how things change now that he is part of the clan. He can just see that the future may hold for her... a sacrifice to this old one.

"Well... I assume Noble because a Noble as pull with the guard, reasons to stay hidden and generally would enjoy pretending to be a master-mind in a twisted little way."
    Ishmael is about to mention Edistris but he stops... not so much out of loyalty but out of care for an interesting creature.

What is more he realises that perhaps Edistris could also be behind the Jacks... what if the man, who does pose as a common merchant very often, was at the top of the Jacks and simply asked Ishmael to take out some Jacks he knew had betrayed him without raising suspicion.

"Bear with me a moment"
    he says carefully... "I dont suppose the following people happen to be your spies by any chance?" he said and named the people Edistris had asked him to take care of even if it was done in a non direct way.

If the woman says no he shakes his head worried about his own paranoia and smiles.

"The tattoo thing... well many gangs do it... I mean now that I think about it being a skulk is a tattoo of its own in many ways."
    he says feeling silly for his question but glad he made her laugh.

"So... I guess I have enough unless if there is something else I should know... I am ready for the next step as you mentioned. I will try to stay interesting. I appreciate you taking the time to teach me" he said simply.

"Thank you."
    Last edited by Monodominant; 2011-06-12 at 04:21 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Titan in the Playground

"No. In fact, those are the very same people we would most like to eliminate because they would destabilize the Jacks quite a bit. Now then, if you're ready to continue, shall we take this to the next level?"

20. - Top - End - #1220

Ishmael ponders that if the people Edistris wants killed are the same people the skulks want killed somehow they both must have very good information.

Still it opens the way for him to indeed take them out as they are wanted dead by both parties he would like to please.

He considers what she means by next level and dismisses the more uncertain thoughts as she obviously doesnt mean... well... that.

"Yes. I'm ready..."

21. - Top - End - #1221
    Titan in the Playground

"Very good. Then let's get your favorite trinket to where it can actually kill humans better."

22. - Top - End - #1222

"I wouldnt call it a trinket but yes certainly" he said and grinned at her as he followed the woman.

Spoiler
    Show

Rules question on bane weapons... Human bane doesnt really "exist" so to speak... its rather Humanoid (Human) bane...

Reason I ask is cause that means that skulks for example have the Human subtype... so are skulks affected by a human bane weapon?

Same goes for half-elves for example. Are they affected by a Bane Humanoid (Human) weapon? Are they affected by a Bane Humanoid (Elf) weapon?

In RoD it mentions as a suggestion/variant that you can say that races sharing templates/subtypes gain the benefits and negatives of both but was wondering if you go with that?

Last edited by Monodominant; 2011-06-13 at 01:07 AM.

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    yes, the bane is humanoid (human). Thus, any humanoids with the human subtype qualify as targets. and yes, the irony is that the skulks are building weapons equally effective against themselves as their enemies. because ultimately, skulks are still human.

I am aware of the mixed heritage options in RoD. it's not actually dual benefits/penalties but rather saying that you could choose to make half-humans the human subtype instead of the <half> subtype. I do not use that variant. humanoids are the subtype as printed in the phb or whatever their source material.

and yeah, that means skulks weapons are really good at killing each other with. Their clan wars were fast, vicious, and deadly. the unification of the clans happened before the black robes came and everyone got bane as a rite of passage.

He was lead back to the chief's chamber where four black robed skulks held a basin of blood between them. "Let he who has proven himself to us this day a man of the clan present his blade, that it may be baptized in the blood of that which the blade killed."

"the ritual assumes it was a dagger. Don't worry, your chain will work perfectly fine. Stupid priests just don't like change." she whispers as she pushes you forward.

24. - Top - End - #1224

Spoiler
    Show

In the mean time (and sorry for asking you but well who else can I ask :D ) I am looking through Magic Item Compendium and oh my god there are some AMAZING items there and some are soooo cheap.

For example I saw the various crystals for armor and weapons! Those (the least at least) are so cheap and can give you a huge edge! For example I see the crystal of returning for weapons that at "least" level essentially gives you quick draw with that weapon for 400gp!!!

Or I saw a belt (healing belt) that can heal up to 6d8 in a day and it costs 750gp!!!! I mean its like... worthless to buy potions!

An other belt gives you (belt of one might blow) the opportunity to do +3d6 damage once per day which well... you either need massively expensive enchantments to get on a weapon or 6 levels of rogue!

Sure its once per day but for 1500gp its... well amazing! I mean as time goes by I would rather deliver 1 incredibly powerful attack rather than little damage round by round... I mean I am thinking that now for example if I had that and hit someone I could do the following (assuming sneak).

2d4+6 normal damage (no crits)
    4d6 sneak attack damage
    2d6 acid damage
    2d6 from bane (and +3 damage if the person is a human)
    and 3d6 from this belt!!! And assuming I got Rizbans ruling correct and I can use a move-equivalent for example to get a swift and activate an item this would make the use of the belt my move equivalent and allow me my normal swift where I would cast Bloody blade and suffer 5 points of damage and do another 3d6...

The total would be 2d4+9 and 14d6 (assuming a human and sneak attack) or 2d4+7 and 12d6 (non-human but still sneak attack) or 2d4+7 and 8d6 on a regular attack...

Pretty destructive!!!! And even better (again due to MiC items) I could then run away (if the person survived) for a few rounds and hide, switch belts and get healing for 6d8 if somehow the person damaged me!

So the question is really... is the above legal? In general I mean do you allow access to all MiC items? cause if I can do it I am sure many others can or may actually be doing it already! :D :D :D

Another item I wanted to ask for clarification is from Drow of the Underdark... its the shadow cloak... for 5.5k it functions as a ring +1 (i.e. it gives deflection ac +1) and then 3/day it has two cool abilities...

a) you can gain concealment (which is nice for me cause it then allows me to hide essentially in plain sight)
    b) you can "hop port" 10 feet in any direction to a spot you can see...

Now this is an immidiate action you can take when someone attacks you... if I understand correctly immidiate actions can be taken during your opponents turn. So lets say the Nose attacks me and I am wearing this cloak... in that case I can tell you that I use one of the cloaks charges and teleport 10 feet behind him.

Does that mean his attacks miss since immidiate actions are resolved... well immidiatetly as he tries to attack me? Can he elect to (if he has not moved) move again and attack me again?

How about against a spell like magic missile? It does not require a "to hit" but it still requires LoS so if I were to use it and move behind a rock (I can see behind that rock) or behind the caster would I be immune to the attack? (3/day off course but still). Would the same work against a fireball if I move away from the blast radius?

And the same for example against an archer. If he shoots at me while we are 10 feet away can I use the "hop" to end up next to him? Would he then miss (since he shot were I was) or would he get to resolve his attack as if I am next to him (in which case I would get an AoO)?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions I just saw those items and I think they would be uber for Ishmael... the cloak is a bit expensive and I would lose the +10 hide but its sooooo cooool... it would be like a ninja! You shoot him and before the blow strikes he dissappears and appears behind you!

25. - Top - End - #1225

Spoiler
    Show

The above posted before I saw your post :D

Ishmael took a step forward looking at the gathered priests and skulks. He did indeed feel proud of this ceremony. He was still young and he had never gotten to do something like this with his people.

He approached the priests and the basin with pride evident in his eyes after turning to offer an appreciative nod towards the girl.

"I, Ishmael QueeqQueg, present my blade" he said and slowly removed the fake short sword from his belt as the blade seems to extend and become longer, larger and spiked. By the time he has reached the priests its the full spiked chain he has chosen as his favored implement of death as the magic that disguises it is dispelled.

26. - Top - End - #1226
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    indeed there are.

I'm sue someone can figure out a reason why the healing belt isn't underpriced. I don't see how that's a fair price either. Keep in mind, though, that you're using up your belt slot on that. that's 6d8 healing and a +2 to heal checks. Versus the potential of whatever other bonus you could have on your belt. I do agree, though. That's much better than anything in the DMG for healing.

the one mighty blow is actually not as awesome as you think. It's not equivalent to 3d6 sneak attack. It's equivalent to a free one-shot potion per day. Think a free caster level 3 burning hands channeled through your weapon per day. That's about 30 gold per day value. still nice, for that one hit.

the bane adds a +2 to damage, not a +3. other than that, your math is sound. However, consider what happens if you miss: You take 5 damage, you use up one caustic surge and you spend your belt charge.

you could switch belts, true. How much time does it take to do that? Also consider that they will get at least 1 round of a full attack against you, since you burned your move action to add 3d6 damage.

all MIC items not specifically listed on the first page of recruitment as banned are allowed. No amber amulets of vermin, etc, but those items you mentioned are fine.

Immediate Action

Much like a swift action, an immediate action consumes a very small amount of time, but represents a larger expenditure of effort and energy than a free action. However, unlike a swift action, an immediate action can be performed at any time—even if it’s not your turn. Using an immediate action on your turn is the same as using a swift action, and counts as your swift action for that turn. You cannot use another immediate action or a swift action until after your next turn if you have used an immediate action when it is not currently your turn (effectively, using an immediate action before your turn is equivalent to using your swift action for the coming turn). You also cannot use an immediate action if you are currently flat-footed.

You would have to have both line of sight to the place you 'port' to and line of effect, and have either one blocked for the caster. Since facing doesn't exist in dnd, simply teleporting "behind" him does you no good. and if you teleort out of the specified radius, yes. Ten feet though won't be enough to escape a fireball spell unless you're at the fringe. It has a 20 foot radius.

"Place the tool of death in the blood of the one whose life it took. So then complete the Circle of Blood and Betrayal."

27. - Top - End - #1227

Spoiler
    Show

Yea I guess for a spell yes... but a melee touch attack or normal attack would probably be negated correct? Would it not work against a ranged attack? I mean its all rather relevant. I take my immediate action after the person has... attacked so you know he shoots the ray or the arrow straight ahead but I disappear and appear 10 feet to the left. Sure against a magic missile that never misses and only needs LoS (no roll to attack) I get why you cant "dodge it" (though I wonder if spells that dont need attack roll still suffer miss chance).

For the fireball I was thinking something like I am 15 feet from the caster so he fires the fireball 10 feet behind me to make sure he doesnt catch himself. If I use the belt to take me straight in front of him (on the next square to him) then I wouldnt be in the blast radius.

Also, unlike in similar items in MiC (though not immidiate but swift) it doesnt say you cant teleport in the same square as someone (which would provoke AoO). Can you? Also if you teleport to an adjacent square, does THAT provoke an AoO?

As for the belt... well yea you would suffer the full attack of a person who suffered all your maxed out damage potential... its a gambit! Apart from actually doing quite a bit of damage you may cause a massive damage save since its all from -1- attack... Also how long would it take to change belts? I would say 2 full round actions? One round to find the new one and remove the old and one round to wear the new one?

Sorry for the question bombardment by the way...

Ishmael complies trying to fit as many of the chain circles as possible inside the basin.The ceremony is slightly gruesome but the chain has been coated in blood before albeit in a different fashion.

He observes the proceedings silently other than that trying to figure out which parts are real mystery and magic and which simply to show off.

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Titan in the Playground

Despite the fact it's a ten foot chain, when you are finished, it is all completely submerged in the blood.

"Because of hatred we were cast out of life into death. By hatred we survive. Through our hate we find strength to seek revenge on the heirs of those who exiled us. With our hate we will one day overcome the world." In undercommon, the words have a rhythmic if not musical feel to them, and the chant is taken up by unseen voices in the shadows. The four priests continue to speak in unison as the blood begins to bubble.

"Great Dark One who watches all, bless this, the tool of your servant, one who has this day taken the life of a dominari with the clan. As our hatred makes us strong, strengthen the blade of he who stands before us now: a man. May it serve him well as he seeks those who have oppressed us."

The blood begins to glow, an eerie purple hue emanating form the mix.

"Let the one who spilled the blood now pooled together step forth and add his own blood, his own hate, to the Circle of Blood and Betrayal."

Spoiler
    Show
    you'll take 1 damage from the bloodletting.

for an attack (melee or range, regular or touch), one must declare which square it is they are targeting. If you happen to not be in that square when the action resolves, you are spared the attack just as if you were invisible and they picked the wrong one.

Two medium creatures cannot occupy the same square in combat effectively. entering or exiting the square is an AoO. You take penalties for squeezing if you occupy the same square as a medium or small creature.

and it is not entering a threatened square which provokes AoO's, it's leaving a threatened square.

29. - Top - End - #1229

Ishmael seems concerned at the blood ritual for a moment but he steels his resolve and draws a masterwork dagger from his belt, or accepts a dagger from the priests if they give him one.

He lifts his hand over the basin and slashes at his palm letting the blood drip through his fingers and down his arm and drip inside the mixture. He almost relishes the experience as he sees the fat red droplets strike the surface of the other blood and he sways slowly to the side trying to focus and keep steady as the pain makes his senses sharpen.

30. - Top - End - #1230
    Titan in the Playground

When you extend your hand, the nearest priest grabs your wrist and pierces your palm with a ceremonial spike. A small trickle of blood hits the surface of the brew, and the boiling excites to a new level. The room begins to sway for you for a moment, and the priests chanting fades into the background, and you feel like you're being watched by an entity far bigger, darker, and more depraved than anything you could have ever envisioned on your own. It seems like you spend eternity underneath that impossible gaze before you awaken to the sensation of being touched.

Torgon is gently shaking your shoulders, saying "Ish, wake up. The ritual is over."