New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1833343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1528

Thread: AvB - Ishmael

1. - Top - End - #1261
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: AvB - Ishmael

He does indeed sit across the man. He tries to discern if indeed he is the man he was expecting from the description and also if perhaps there are still any bumps and bruises from the treatment he got from the Jacks.

Since this is supposed to be the owners office Ishmael looks around to see if anything seems wrong or out of place. He also looks around to see if there is anyone else in the room and if there are windows.

"Why thank you sir." he says as he sits down but stops halfway to offer the man his hand. "Ho, forgot my manners! Forget my own head next" he exclaimed.
    AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Titan in the Playground

Everything seems to be in place.

The man has no obviously visible injuries, although a heal check might reveal clues the casual eye misses, should they exist.

Everything about this man says that he is the confident owner of a successful banking business.

He shakes your hand. "Now then, what sort of business do you have that it's so urgent it couldn't wait?"
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

3. - Top - End - #1263

Spoiler
    Show

Straight Heal check (1d20)[4]

Also just to check, does his description match with what I had heard?

"Believe me Sir. Its an important issue. An issue one would say is of life and death." he said without joking.

"Now, what I am about to tell you will most likely upset you. Please try to maintain your composure as this matter has to do with money. Alot of money." he said and smiled elegantly.

"You see sir. I find myself in a difficult financial situation and hence me and my company have to somehow make the numbers go from red to black. I owe money to some very bad people though and even though I changed my ways that lead me down that spiral the money is still owed and these bad people are probably far worse than I imagined. Whats worse, in order to pay for my debts I have had to stoop low and consider defrauding customers of my company." he said and looked at him straight in the eyes before quickly continuing.

"Now, I was unlucky sir. Noone ever came to me to help me and thus I had to disappear to avoid my creditors and take up different... professions. It does not have to be like this with you. What I offer Sir is freedom. You can think of me as a good Angel come to bring salvation as I require no reward for such a service but only your cooperation and gratitude. But I warn you sir. The problem with Angels is that you only get them once and they do so hate to be scorned" he said a hint of optimism in his voice.

"Do you think you understand what I mean Mr Darkmoor?"
    Last edited by Monodominant; 2011-06-16 at 12:32 AM.

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Titan in the Playground

He matches the description exactly.

As you finish speaking, he has pulled a hand crossbow from his desk and it is pinted straight at you. A poisonous sheen is on the bolt.

"Who are you really, and who are you working for?"
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).

5. - Top - End - #1265

"My name is not important for it is a lie. I can give you a hundred diffrent names without blinking and you would believe it. I gave such a ludicrous name before to pick your interest." he said and leaned back pretending not to care for the crossbow.

"My patrons now, is another matter. I cannot reveal names but lets put it like this. They really, really, really hate the Jacks. I was given an option by them, Mr Darkmoor. Finishing what the Jacks started a few days ago and killing you while you were down in a pool of blood after the Toe's men were finished with you, which mind you would have worked sweetly as they would think they overdid it, or... recruit your help in solving your own problem. Either way my employers dont tolerate shady business practices and dont care which of the two options I chose as long as the problem is fixed." he says calmly.

"Please do stop aiming at me by the way, accidents happen when things are tense... In any case, I am here, not asking for any rewards or heroics. I am asking for you to help me help you get rid of your Jack problem. There are things in motion Mr Darkmoor. Great things that will change this city. You can be part of those things as Aldhaven starts to shake off the tick that is the Jacks or you can be a flea trying to mind its own business while the tick sucks all the blood and pushes you around... or do you really think the Jacks will stop harassing you after you pay up just because you stopped gambling?"

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Titan in the Playground

"So you claim. However, you've come in here and threatened me with vague threats and now want my full and total cooperation to take on a gang of thugs whom no one has been able to stop before. Forgive me if I just don't trust you to not represent someone even worse than skulks."

7. - Top - End - #1267

"I am not asking you to fight the Jacks Mr. Darkmoor. I am asking you to let me show you how I can help you solve your problems. If my threats sound vague it is because I dont want to show off..." he said and paused.

"The problem is that short of showing you bodies I am unsure how I can convince you that I can deal with Jacks. If you were not an important business man but a thug I would ask you to join me in an operation. Unfortunately all I can tell you is that I do have a number of Jacks on my... CV so to say. Some more important than others." he said indeed telling the truth.

"My words are my... honor Mr. Darkmoor. If you detect a lie you can tell me. My employers are important businessmen in the city and Nobles. They have had enough with the Jacks and their reign of terror. The skulks may be vile but they keep themselves in the Docks. The Jacks do not. They prey on anyone they can get their claws on. Is that not true? A few days ago you were assaulted for failing to pay your debts. What will happen next? How long until either someone finds out you are working for them and turns that word from "for them" to "with them" smearing you and ruining your reputation." he said truly believing in his words.

"I ask something simple. I know where the men that harmed you live. I also know of their leader or at least a head enforcer, the Toe, who is involved in your case. I propose a plan that will rid you of both him and your debt. I only ask that you hear me with an open mind and trust in my abilities and if you indeed do so I can tell you the details". he concluded.

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Titan in the Playground

He lowers the crossbow beneath his desk, although you suspect he still has a hand on it. "Very well, go on."

9. - Top - End - #1269

Ishmael smiles confidently.

"Well. The simple way to get rid of the Toe and his men is to kill them. Methodically and one by one. That would solve things for a little while. Then his successor would knock on your door, still demanding money and even worse worried that you might have had something to do with it. Hence -just- killing him is not the answer." he said and smiled.

"A more elaborate ploy is needed and it involves discrediting him. I assume the money you owe is a substantial amount otherwise you would just take a lone and pay them off to back off rather than risk your life and your future. Being who you are you would have access to serious money by your name alone and thus I do think its probably... quite a high price. So obviously this money goes to the central organization and doesn't really stay with the Toe." he said and paused to see if Darkmoor agreed on this.

Assuming he did Ishmael leaned forward and gave a very sinister smile.

"Hence, its enough money for a man to betray his allegiances. In order to save you Mr Darkmoor we make the Toe seem a traitor that took the money and ran." he leaned back again before continuing.

"Its not easy off course. It will involve you actually paying a large sum to him. It will involve you meeting with him so that I can follow him and take care of him and return you your money. Lastly it will involve me pretending to be him and making a booking at a carriage company and you hopefully getting a contact of yours to say that he was seen in Brunsgrove" he said waiting to see if the man liked the plan.

"It wont be as simple off course. There are many details to be taken care of and organized but that is the basis... At the end of all this, you will have been seen paying the man. He will have been seen taking the money and then he will have disappeared with the money as far as the Jacks will know. But be careful mr. Darkwood. You cannot trust anyone else but me with this information. Close friends and relatives may be interrogated and they must know nothing or the plan is in jeopardy. They may even accidentally say something while crossing the road and a beggar affiliated with the Jacks reports it back to them..."

10. - Top - End - #1270
    Titan in the Playground

He looks a little indignant at first. "Actually, my debts have been paid in full, including the exorbitant interest. What apparently hasn't been payed is the 'debt protection' I 'owe' them. They say that if I don't continue to pay them for their 'service', then they'll have interest on the debt re-calculated retroactively. It's the thinnest excuse for extortion I've ever heard. When I refused to pay this month, the beat me within an inch of my life. The Toe is just the thug who leads the bashers for this part of the city. My monthly extortions are large, but not so large but what I can still run my business with a profit."

11. - Top - End - #1271

Ishmael looks a bit taken aback not expecting this. He continues feel stride though.

"Well Mr. Darkmoor then somehow we must frame him. You are the banker, could you perhaps find out if he has personal accounts in other banks in the city and then we can somehow cook their books to say he has been getting large sums of money. We need to somehow learn who the Toe's boss is and ask to meet them directly to -renegotiate- your terms because the raises of the last months are ludicrous and you have paid the amount five times over. When they ask what you mean you will say that you pay him much more than what you actually do and at that point I shall have the Toe "disappear" and the various witnesses say he left the city." he said quickly amending the plan.

"Alternatively I can just kill him and his gang and you can hire some personal protection to make sure no new Jack tries out to take over the business... Also have you considered involving the Watch?" he asked.

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Titan in the Playground

"The Watch already is involved. I've given them my statements this time just like last time. So far, they've yet to stop the Jacks, although the did arrest one of the bashers that assaulted me. As to who the Toe reports to, I'm guessing he'll be called the Foot. They do have a theme, after all."

13. - Top - End - #1273

Ishmael was getting impatient but he was impressed that the man had actually gone to the Watch for protection.

"You are not worried that you went to the Watch and they did nothing?" he said almost unbelieving. "For example I noticed that the bank does not even have any protection from them... it looks a bit strange. Do you think that perhaps someone on the Watch is involved or on the take?"

"Also... could you tell me the name of the one they caught and where he is held? Perhaps I can get something out of him..."

He waited for the mans answer before continuing.

"In any case... are you interested in trying my plan out? A plan like you may be able to get information from sources that I did not even think or perhaps you have an idea of how to more permanently solve your issue? Personally I need to know when you plan to meet them for your next installment so that I may follow the Toe and take care of things from that side unless if you think something else..."

14. - Top - End - #1274
    Titan in the Playground

"I hired a guard once. the Hand left me a sweet note the next week informing me that my hired protection had to retire early. And honestly, I don't expect the Watch to do much, but if they wanted me dead, they would have killed me two days ago. Right now, all I want is peace. Failing that, I need to survive at least three more years."

"Only name he would give the watch was Hongus. I'm sure you can just waltz into the Watch and interrogate their prisoners."

"At this point, I'm willing to try almost anything. Toe will send one of his disposables a week and a half from now in order to check up on us, make sure I am ready to pay up next month."

15. - Top - End - #1275

"So apart from having received a note from the Hand and knowing of the Toe you dont know anyone else..." said Ishmael dissappointed.

"Also is there no way to get in touch with the Toe earlier? Anything you can think of for when there was a problem with collecting the money or something to that effect?" he continued to press thinking that soon the Skulks would attack the Jacks anyway and having dealt with this would be good.

"As for the prisoner... well... I cannot walk in and interrogate him yet no. But you can ask to see him and talk to him perhaps... or even better, motivated by fear you can go and say you were wrong and have him released... letting him out all alone on the street..." he said and waited to see the mans reaction.

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, I guess that I could get in touch with them if I needed to. I could no more go and talk with the prisoner than you could. Once the Watch has a member of the Jacks in custody, he is allowed no visitors until his trial. And they'd suspect witness duress if I claimed that I changed my mind."

17. - Top - End - #1277

"Well yes. They could claim you are under duress but you are the main witness and the victim of the attack. If the Jack has not confessed then they cant really keep him can they?" he asked not sure how the Aldhaven legal system worked.

As this avenue was becoming closed Ishmael considered the options. Try and gain access to the Jacks cell, going to where the man that lead him to Aunties slept and search for clues, try and get up a meeting set-up or just kill Darkmoor here and get it over with.

"Tell me more about the contact you could get into. I mean... if the prisoner avenue is not an option perhaps we can speed things up. Otherwise I guess we can wait the week that you mention until the drop off. It would give us enough time to frame the Toe but I am simply impatient as I hear interesting things about movement in the local gang world and I am worried things may shift and change..." he said.

Spoiler
    Show

Hmmm not sure how to move on if it need a week and a half... there is a chance this is a good thing as after the skulks attack the Jacks will be below full strength regardless of how it goes and hence if the Toe goes missing they may not have the resources to keep pressuring this guy...

Or there is the possibility that having lost some power they will try to push every person they have for more in order to consolidate.

Did the Countess give me a time-frame or is it something she wants done so her funds are freed. Would a week and half be too long as far as Ishmael understands if it would mean this guy gets to live?

I do have other things to do during that time (namely learn about that person I have to rob to join the Jacks and also to discover Edistris since he may want to join an anti-Jack attack especially since I learned the people he wants killed are very important for stability) if that is the case!

18. - Top - End - #1278
    Titan in the Playground

"Don't know how the law works where you come from, but if you're accused in this city, you must face trial to exonerate yourself. And he did eventually confess, and even gave the name of his accomplice. They haven't caught him yet and I wouldn't hold my breath."

"I have been told that even the honest beggars can get in touch with the Jacks."

Spoiler
    Show
    she needs the funds, but she can survive for a few weeks on what she has.

and boy, me "consolidating" your plotlines into one didn't seem to do much to simplify things.

19. - Top - End - #1279

Spoiler
    Show

Haha! Sorry about that and for complicating things! It is actually good! Currently everything I have is dealing with the Jacks....

dealing with the Jacks for Edistris.
    dealing with the Jacks for the Countess.
    dealing with the Jacks for the Skulks.

For me thats a nice way to get added value and also have an impact on the game world.

I mean another character could just be going around killing Jacks randomly... I like my approach more as it involves some digging and exploring their background... for me its a lot of fun even if it goes perhaps a bit slower and only has bursts of action!

Anyway, I guess its back on the streets for further investigations :D

Ishmael shakes his head reconsidering things.

"No, that would raise too much suspision. From my part I will try to create some leads about the Toe contacting people in other cities and asking for carriages. From your part can you figure out if he has any accounts on other banks and can you fake some money influx in them?" he asked carefully.

"The next step will be after they come to you and I take care of the Toe... then when the Jacks come asking for more you can tell them the story... are we in agreement?" he said and offered his hand to the man.

"From my part Mr. Darkmoor I shall do all I can to help you. I have another idea where things would go faster if you tell them that someone came here blackmailing you and offering protection and threatening you. Since you are paying for it you can then send message to the Jacks that you need their help cause someone is causing issues on their turf... but that involves more direct fighting and I am unsure if its the solution we need right now..."

20. - Top - End - #1280
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    well, play your cards right and you might just permanently impact the city streets.

btw, results from your actions already has had a small impact on other characters in minor ways.

"We are in agreement."

21. - Top - End - #1281

Ishmael nods as he gets up from the chair.

"I will get back to you in a few days. To avoid going through the whole process I shall send you a letter with the initials M.E." he said as he walked out the room and then the bank offering a winning smile, as if he had gotten his way, to the girl that he had spoken to.

Once outside Ishmael moves about as if he is a normal customer going on his business and then at some point, after exiting from a crowded area he moves quickly into a darker alley and hides. He waits a little while to see if anyone is following him before he continues. He also uses the Hat to changes his appearance and clothes and moves through the shadows taking all precautions and doing the disguise change a few times.

When he is satisfied he actually heads towards the more active merchant districts and buys some basic provisions for the things he will need to create for himself. That done he also does a quick stop at the plaza and seeing the cart of Hagan he heads inside the store to do some dealings.

When that is finished he is ready to proceed to his full mission.

He roams the streets for a while trying to get information on particular individuals.

Spoiler
    Show

Gather info: (1d20+12)[24] - Tim, Tom and Scarletta (check post 831 they were the low enemies of Edistris) time (1d4+1)[3]
    Knowledge local (1d20+14)[31] Tim, Tom and Scarletta

Gather Info : (1d20+12)[18] Rocholl and Jeddar (again same page those are higher enemies of Edistris. Not interested in the upstanding man as there is no chance I can... touch him right now). time (1d4+1)[3]
    Knowledge local (1d20+14)[26] Rocholl and Jeddar.

While doing the above I change appearances frequently, moving to and from shadows etc.

A hide check (generic) (1d20+39)[40]
    MS (1d20+23)[33]

I shall post in Hagans room for that by the way and also will spend the money and update the character sheet with some mundane purchases.

22. - Top - End - #1282
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    post tomorrow. I have a test in the morning and can't afford to stay up late enough to answer your post. It's gonna be a doozy.

23. - Top - End - #1283

Spoiler
    Show

No problem!

Good luck with the test mate!!!

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Titan in the Playground

Tim, Tom, and Scarletta are a trio of siblings who work for the Jacks. None of them are very highly placed, but it is believed that they are Mike the Ear's cousins, for they receive special favors. It's also said that Scarletta and the Nightman have a "working" relationship together. Tim and Tom recently became Toenails. All three of them work the graveyard shift in North Market.

Jeddar:
    Honest and serious, Jedder has a good nose for business and is not too bad with guild politics either; however, he is not devious or greedy enough to really excel in politics. He started his adult life as a soldier in the City Watch but a serious leg injury left him with a bad limp and unfit for duty. He started a supply shop shortly after his discharge, and it has grown to be one of the more profitable businesses in the city.
    Owner of Ezekiel's Supplies, which sells all basic adventuring gear and various wondrous items of up to 10,000gp in value as well as many essential household items.

House Rocholl is not only the oldest of the noble houses but also the most decadent and corrupt. It is suspected that the family funds a number of criminal organizations, profiting from theft, extortion, smuggling, illegal gambling, assassination, and trade in slaves, drugs, and evil magic items; however, nothing has ever been conclusively proven, and the family denies all accusations. Many people believe these accusations to be mere slander and hold House Rocholl in fairly high regard due to their frequent charitable activities.

Isolde Rosen, only child of King Alben Rosen, is betrothed to Archduke Wolfram Rocholl, the head of House Rocholl and heir designate, the next in line to the throne in absence of a male heir of House Rosen.

You are pretty sure that it's Archduke William Rocholl, the heir apparent to the throne, that Edistris meant.

25. - Top - End - #1285

Spoiler
    Show

I hope the test went well!

And also, I didnt realise at all that these Jeddar and Rochol were not jacks! I believe for now they may be more than I can chew... them being a major magical items vendor and the HEIR TO THE THRONE!

Still the trio looks like a managable target and the Skulks said they would help in distabilising things!

Ishmael disappears into the crowds. After realising what he had heard he was worried that perhaps he might have annoyed some ears. He spents at least a couple of hours switching in and out of disguises, in and out of hiding and similar tactics. He is close to also using a scent breaker in case he is tracked by scent but in the end decides against it for the time being.

He wonders if he is being too paranoid but then he realises that the skulks DID actually track him despite everything so he is well within his right to do so.

Finally, once his crazy mind is a bit more at ease, he eats up a decent meal and heads out towards the North Market to the area he has heard the siblings operate. He had heard an elder assassin giving a name for this short of thing. Extreme prejudice it was called... when you end up taking out a whole family. Well he only knew of the three children but he wondered if somewhere in the organisation a mother or father were also present.

Still, with the Nose dead last night he had to act fast before the entire organisation was aware that their chief security officer was gone and that possibly someone was out to get them.

Spoiler
    Show

Just for reference... if/when the King dies... does his daughter become Queen and whoever she marries becomes king by proxy or does he become FULL King? (See for example England where the Queens husband was not that much of a big head).

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    haven't taken the test yet. It begins in 45 min and my class before it just got out early.

That sort of information is a knowledge (local) check.

however, since you rolling a 1 would be sufficient to let you know:

Aldhaven is very paternalistic. The heir is always male. Rosen's daughter marrying Rocholl is a way to increase the legitimacy of his claim, but he is the heir apparent regardless of if he marries her. There are two other candidates, but their claims to the throne are not quite as solid as Rocholl's. If one of them or their sons were to marry the daughter, their claims would be strengthened enough to give Rocholl serious competition, but otherwise it's almost a done deal.

there's just enough doubt to sow chaos.

You arrive in North Market by late afternoon. They are not expected to be on the streets for another four hours.

27. - Top - End - #1287

Spoiler
    Show
    ok. I got your hint. Kidnap the woman and give her for a forced marriage to make sure she marries someone else it is.

Ishmael spends the next four hours becoming familiar with the area around him. He
    tries to find a few quiet roads, a few dead ends and even a couple of buildings with low roofs that would allow for a quick escape. Overall he stays hidden as he explores and also tries to learn more about the area and what type of stores and operations are happening here.

Spoiler
    Show

Hide [roll]1d20+39[roll]
    ms [roll]1d20+23[roll]

Good luck once again then!

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Since your rolls goobered up, I will arbitrarily pick them for you:

(rolls a rl 20): a 44 for hide and a 32 for move silently.

well, not just anyone else will do. It has to be one of the other two potential heirs or else Rocholl gets the throne either way.

North Market is a bustling trade center with a multitude of two-story shop-homes along every major street. There are also two market squares within the district which have smaller stalls for less affluent merchants. Or simply those who are not permanent fixtures of the city. The one further to the east caters to a more exotic clientele, the one to the west focusing on the lower end of the market.

29. - Top - End - #1289

Spoiler
    Show

No problem with the rolls! Can you take 10 with hide and ms by the way?

Also about the "grooms" I understand I was joking ;P

Ishmael gets to know a few of the wonders of the North Market and he promises himself to explore it more as it is very interesting and promising. For now he is just scouting the area and although he is tempted to stop and purchase some food stuffs for the taste he manages to restrain himself from breaking cover.

Looking on himself Ishmael frowned. He actually had to be careful or get some exercise... this cloak of the hobbit had made him develop a small belly in just the few weeks of using it and despite his prior peak physical condition he was starting to feel it.

As time passed he completed his circles returning near the area he had information he may find the targets.

30. - Top - End - #1290
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    as long as you are not rushed or threatened, you may.

and I was joking too.

A woman dressed in most immodest apparel is standing at the corner looking quite sassy.
    Last edited by planswalker; 2011-06-17 at 03:13 PM.