Page 45 of 51 FirstFirst ... 203536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1528

Thread: AvB - Ishmael

1. - Top - End - #1321
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: AvB - Ishmael

Spoiler
    Show

Well she is paralysed AND unconsious! if they somehow heal her immidiatetly she will still be unable to move :D

Ishmael does two things as he prepares to face the wrath of the brothers.

Firstly he draws the chain as he does not plan to go as easy on men as he was on the woman and secondly he kicks open the window trying to make as much noice as possible.

He doesnt actually jump out or anything foolish though, he just moves to a corner of the room so that he will be more than 15 feet from the door if possible and hides.

Spoiler
    Show

hide (1d20+39)[55]
    ms (1d20+23)[31]

Can I ready an action while not in combat?

If I -can- ready an action, I will ready an action to do a single attack after 3 rounds of "observing" the first of the two people entering.

Last edited by Monodominant; 2011-06-20 at 04:21 AM.
    AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Titan in the Playground

Two men with the same shocking red hair as the woman you knocked out burst into the room (d4)[3] rounds later.

"Someone attacked our sister, Tim."

"Looks like they want us to believe that he jumped out of a second story window to flee. Best to check the room first. She's still breathing, so he doesn't want her dead, and I doubt knocking her out and running was his plan."

"But what if it was?"

"Then, Tom, it's likely that we're too late to catch them and we'd best get dear Scary awake so she can tell us what happened."

"Then it's time to search the place?"

"Yes it is."

Spoiler
    Show
    one round for the above speaking.
    speaking is a free action in combat, but significant dialogue takes larger actions.

The two draw out thin glass jars of oil and drop them. The one identified as Tom strikes a tindertwig as Tim moves over to his sister.

Spoiler
    Show
    two round

Tim picks up his sister and begins to leave the room, while Tom draws a hand crossbow from his pocket and watches the room cannily.

Spoiler
    Show
    three rounds
    Last edited by planswalker; 2011-06-20 at 11:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

3. - Top - End - #1323

Spoiler
    Show

No problem about the short speech being free and the longer an action. Somewhere once I had read that you can do 6 words as a free action and more takes your move-equivalent but I never liked that rule as is...

In my group we used to say that if the speech does not include any information to the other PCs then you can say whatever you like... this helps with making epic scenes.

To exchange things or relay info though (so for example if I succeed on my know:religion and realize that X is a Lich) you need to spend the 6 words (and for a person to answer he needs to use his immediate action) or take a move equivalent to do so...

Also, I was considering attacking them before the 3 rounds are up but then I thought its more fun not to have to retcon.

One question though... they drew tinderwigs after they spilt oil (normal oil right? not the super flammable alchemist fire level one?) but did not actually light it correct? And also the person with the hand crossbow is holding a tinderwig in his other hand?

So I do the below ASSUMING there is no fire burning.

Ishmael breathed in and breather out. The girl was done. If he was lucky one of the brothers would also go down and it would be a one on one dance after that. He really did not want three bodies in the middle of a hotel. Oh if only his skulk brothers had given him one of those portable holes things would have been so easy.

Ishmael waits for the moment that Tims walks out carrying the girl. The next second he detaches himself from the shadows and strikes the other man trying not to kill him even though the blow is with the chain. At the same, after the blow has landed, he tries to catch the falling tinderwig.

Spoiler
    Show

So standard action attack as a death attack for paralysis. I am using the chain to do subdual so thats a -4 to my attack roll. He is human though (I believe) so I get the bane ability of the chain and activating the caustic ability with a swift.

Attack: (1d20+9)[26] - in case of crit confirm (1d20+9)[11] against flat footed.
    DC 13 fort or paralyzed for (1d6+1)[2] rounds
    Damage (2d4+9)[14] and in case of crit damage (2d4+9)[14]
    Sneak (4d6)[15]
    Bane (2d6)[9]
    And caustic (2d6)[9]

And as a move equivalent if you will allow it, I try to catch the tinderwig if it would fall in the oil... perhaps a reflex would be appropriate?

(1d20+14)[33]

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    that rule is not core. Trust me, I've read through the phb and dmg cover to cover more than once. There, the guidelines do not say exactly how many words are what action. They leave that to the dm.

also, if you take a -4 penalty to do non-lethal damage, you cannot then gain benefit of sneak attack. Weapons whose optimal use is lethal damage cannot do no-lethal sneak attacks, and vice-versa. Do you want the nonlethal or the sneak attack?
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).

5. - Top - End - #1325

Spoiler
    Show

Hmmm choices choices, I really dont want to kill this guy and so I should go for the non-lethal but that is 32 hp which wont even drop him unconscious most likely.

On the other hand 47 if not subdual may kill him... grr thats dnd and levels for you...

Do you allow the -house rule- that says you can pull blows if you see you send someone to minus numbers? As in when you see your blade sliced through the ribcage and will cut the lungs or heart you kind of pull the blow back to avoid killing? Or perhaps some kind of intelligence check to gauge how much damage a particular enemy can take?

Now if you wont allow something like that I guess I will go with the subdual... I'd rather have to spend one more round in combat than kill them just like that!

Last edited by Monodominant; 2011-06-20 at 03:32 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    nope. There just isn't that sort of reaction time in combat situations most of the time.

7. - Top - End - #1327

Spoiler
    Show

Okay, go with the subdual then and lets hope they are not too high a level :D or have low CON scores and he fails his fortitude :D

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Titan in the Playground

Your blow hits him soundly, but he is still conscious. you manage to make an incredible leap and keep the tindertwig from igniting the oil. However, the heat from catching a lit tindertwig deals you 1 fire damage.

"Well, brother, looks like we found the rat." Tom says.

"Yeah, with my back." Tim adds.

Spoiler
    Show
    new combat, new initiative.

9. - Top - End - #1329

Spoiler
    Show
    Did it seem he suffered from the blow? Was it a severe one I mean?

init: (1d20+6)[19]
    Last edited by Monodominant; 2011-06-21 at 12:11 AM.

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    hey monodominant...

I got three emails two minutes apart where you rolled for initiative. What was up with that?

Tim moves with a fluidity that you wouldn't have guessed, and tries to disarm you bare-handed.

Make a disarm check.

11. - Top - End - #1331

Spoiler
    Show

I posted from my mobile (you can notice when that happens as the posts tend to be much shorter) and clicked refresh after a few moments which caused the post to repost instead of the edited. In both cases though the -roll- function came up as -roll0-. So I then deleted those 2 and used my gfs PC to make the post with the roll. I was a bit sleepy at the time (it was around 5am in the morning here) so I apologise for that, hope it makes sense.

In any case, disarm roll is attack roll with the weapon right? Would bane count here? I saw that 2 handed weapon gives +4 but not sure about the bane modifier, I am rolling without it and you can add it if it does work.

(1d20+15)[19]

Ishmael tries to pull the chain back as he is surprised by the sudden turn of events realizing that if he fails the chain will end up at the hands of his enemy.

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    ooh... tough luck.

Tim manages to wrench the chain from your hands. "Let's see how you like its sting." He says mockingly. You can tell by how he holds it that he's not accustomed to such a weapon.

13. - Top - End - #1333

Spoiler
    Show

I assume its my turn right?

Also what is Tom doing at this time? Or is he still holding the sister?

Ishmael growls at the man angrily. The element of suprise is gone. His fingers hurt from the blister already forming due to the burning tinderwig and this fool has taken his Orders signature weapon.

He thinks for a split second and moves next to him drawing the merciful dagger at the same time. As he draws the blade he slashes his own hand causing his own blood to become a focus of baleful energies and with it he stabs his opponent.

Spoiler
    Show

5 foot step so I dont cause AoO and draw weapon as part of the move, the merciful dagger.
    Swift action to cast blade of blood and I suffer 5 points of damage to do more damage and then...

attack (1d20+11)[19] in case of crit (1d20+11)[18]
    damage (1d4+7)[11] and crit damage (1d4+7)[10]
    bloody blade (3d6)[13]
    merciful (1d6)[1]

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Titan in the Playground

You knock out the fool who stole your weapon, only for Tom to light another tindertwig, drop it, and walk off.

This time, you are unable to react fast enough and the pool of oil lights on fire.
    Last edited by planswalker; 2011-06-21 at 01:25 AM.

15. - Top - End - #1335

Spoiler
    Show

He dropped the match while his brother is inside? what a bastard!!! Also wasnt the door broken as they tried to push their way in?

Ishmaels eyes widden in suprise. He expected the other Jack to bullrush him or something to that effect but literally lighting the place on fire, now that was crazy when his own brother was inside. Ishmael looks around to see if there is any chance to extinguish the fire before it catches on by perhaps using an acid flask to destroy the oil.

If that does not seem possible he takes his chain on one hand and lifts his finger towards the door ready to act if he does not hear compliance.

"Your brother will cook alive Tom. Dont be foolish, only you can save him now..." he calls out and waits for a few seconds.

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    oops. Edited what he did. feel free to modify your response. post when you're satisfied with your revisions or post telling me you don't want to change anything.

17. - Top - End - #1337

Ishmaels eyes widden in suprise. He expected the other Jack to bullrush him or something to that effect but literally lighting the place on fire, now that was crazy when his own brother was inside. Ishmael looks around to see if there is any chance to extinguish the fire before it catches on by perhaps using an acid flask to destroy the oil.

If that does not seem possible (OOC: from a mechanics point of view) he moves out in the corridor as well trying to avoid the flames, picking up his chain as he does so.

When out in the corridor he calls out to Tom.

"Your brother is alive and unconsious. I do not intend to kill him but he will be cooked in the fire. Come back, pick him and your sister up and follow me all you will all die. I have 2 out of 3 down now and its obvious I dont plan to kill you lot or I would have done so with the other two. If you run away your brothers death is at your hands and I will chase you down as well. You have 3 seconds to comply." said rather seriously and with no intention to bluff.

18. - Top - End - #1338

Spoiler
    Show
    by the way the above is assuming that he walked away carrying the sister! If he just abandoned both of them I will change probably!

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    he abandons them both.

20. - Top - End - #1340

Spoiler
    Show

Seriously? What a horrible brother!!!!

Ishmael does not believe his eyes as he sees the third member of the family abandon his family behind to save his own life. So soon after finding his own... "family" this looks far too annoying to him.

Ishmael chases after the man trying to catch up with him and charging him if possible using the faster speed the boots gives him as well as the extra length of the chain.

"BETRAYER" he calls out unable to contain his emotions.

Spoiler
    Show

I have those boots of striding on. Still not sure if those just give me +10feet a round (like boots of striding and springing without the springing) or are swift action activated to temporary increase it!

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    they grant a 10 foot bonus to your base land speed. continuously.

He looks over his shoulder and sees you fast approaching. "Well, I'm not the one who had a quick fun time with my sister before beating her senseless now am I?" He says as he drops a vial onto the floor. The space between you two fills with smoke.

22. - Top - End - #1342

"Hey I paid for the fun time. Business is business and pleasure is pleasure" calls out Ishmael behind the smoke filled area.

"I offer you a chance to save both. Take them and follow me and I can guarantee I wont kill you. I just need information nothing more. Otherwise you will have to explain your uncle why you abandoned your family..." he called out before carefully approaching the smoke worried it was some kind of poison or noxious gas.

If no answer comes in the next couple of seconds Ishmael bursts through the smoke taking a big gulp of air and closing his nose and mouth before doing so.

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Titan in the Playground

"Let me know how that works out for you."

You hear footsteps through the smoke.

24. - Top - End - #1344

Spoiler
    Show

Does the smoke cover more than a 10foot space? And also do I hear the footsteps moving away from the smoke or hiding in it?

If he seems to be running away from the smoke I CHARGE towards that direction.

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    the footsteps seem to be moving away from the smoke, and you cannot see through the smoke to tell exactly how far out it goes.

26. - Top - End - #1346

Ishmael follows the footsteps practically running though and using the smokes as a means to hide himself as well. Unlike his opponent he can practically run while staying hiding and silent. He keeps his hand on his mouth and nose trying not to breath the smoke in case its noxious but he also considers that he will have to buy something like this as its much more effective than the smokesticks.

He has little time to return and collect his two unconscious targets before one of them burns to death and so he needs to take care of this one before long.

Spoiler
    Show

hide (1d20+39)[47]
    ms (1d20+23)[29]

if as I run through the smoke I see him I charge him.

Does the smoke offer total concealment?

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Titan in the Playground

After passing through ten feet of smoke and exiting the other side, you make out the man.

28. - Top - End - #1348

Spoiler
    Show

Does he seem to be running away or waiting for me?

If he is running I approach and attack (charge) with the chain.

(1d20+15)[35] crit confirm (1d20+15)[27]
    damage (2d4+9)[15] crit damage (2d4+9)[14]
    sneak (4d6)[19]
    bane (2d6)[6]

Total: 54

If he is staying
    I charge and attack with the merciful knife instead (I shall roll the attack/damage in another post I didnt think it through heh) see below for 44 subdual damage instead!

As Ishmael walks out of the smoke, one with the shadows and more silent than a cat he sees the man. His mind is filled with anger over this chasing around game and more importantly of the man abandoning his family. Ishmael charges after the man, the weapon he uses depending on what the man is doing... if he is still running, leaving behind his sister and brother he uses the chain showing no mercy, if he isnt he uses the knife in an effort to take this man unconscious as well.
    Last edited by Monodominant; 2011-06-22 at 12:53 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1349

Spoiler
    Show

The damage of the above if it was with the knife instead...

If you want me to re-roll the attack roll I can do that too... but since it was a nat 20 it wouldnt miss :D

so damage is (1d4+7)[11] and (1d4+7)[8] for the crit
    and (1d6)[6] for the merciful effect , sneak remains the same (19) and bane is not applicable on the knife.

Total Subdual: 44

Last edited by Monodominant; 2011-06-22 at 12:51 AM.

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Titan in the Playground

He appears to have been fleeing, but after taking the blow like he did, he is still standing but not looking well.

"What, now beating your lover unconscious and her brother aren't good enough? Now you're gonna murder one while the people I assume you want to interrogate burn to death? You're too merciful for an assassin and too blunt for a spy. Good luck in life." He says the last as he steps back and drinks a potion, disappearing from sight.