New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Tiktok Creature (Demiplane of Oz Project)

Currently, I am working on a project based on the Wizard of Oz (or, more precisely, Gregory Maguire's Reimagined Oz) I intend to post on this site once I am done with the dinosaurs project. Until then, I am going to post the Tiktok servitor, and hopefully get some critiques. Keep in mind that this creature, like the entire project I am working on, isn't meant to be a carbon copy of the creatures/places of the book, but rather a creature that could fit into the D&D multiverse (specifically native to the Demiplane of Oz).

I intend to add the "Construction" and "Tiktok Servitors as Characters" sections later tomorrow. So, until then, please PEACH.

Automaton, Tiktok Servitor
    Small Construct (Extraplanar)
    Hit Dice: 1d10+10 (15 hp)
    Initiative: +0
    Speed: 20 ft.
    Armor Class: 15 (+4 natural armor, +1 size), touch 11, flatfooted 15
    Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-3
    Attack: Slam +2 melee (1d3+1 damage)
    Full Attack: Slam +2 melee (1d3+1 damage)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Vicious Strike
    Special Qualities: Construct traits, Unreliable, Darvision 60 ft., Lowlight vision
    Saves: Fort +0, Ref +0, Will +0
    Abilities: Str 13, Dex 10, Con ---, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 8
    Skills: Profession (Laborer) +7, Concentration +2
    Feats: Skill Focus: Profession (Laborer)
    Environment: Demiplane of Oz
    Organization: One plus Master
    Challenge Rating: 1
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Usually Lawful Neutral
    Advancement: By character class
    Level Adjustment: +2

A mechanical creature trudges along by next to its master. It is golden in color, and vaguely man-like with a rounded appearance.

Tiktok Servitors are common automatons of Oz. They live to serve their masters. Like all automatons, Tiktok Servitors are created using clockwork parts and powered by the Plane of Shadows 9as opposed to Golems, who are powered by elemental spirits). Tiktok Servitors can be found in most major Gillikinese cities, including Shiz and Emerald City. They are created using the most advanced magical automaton technologies available, they are less likely to lose power in the middle of jobs as other, larger automatons (though this is still a possibility). For the most part, Tiktok Servitors work as menial laborers or personal assistants. Some, however, are enlisted into the Home Guard or the Gale Force, where they learn to wield muskets and crossbows.

It is rumored that a disgruntled tiktok servitor, going by the name Grommetik, is planning a revolt amongst the working class Tiktoks. It is said he and his followers meet at the remains of a Philosopher’s Club in Shiz weekly, where they plan the newest stages of their mechanical revolution.

Combat
    Tiktok servitors rarely enter combat, but those trained to do so by their masters may be deadly fighters. They have a small mechanical flaw that actually allows them to hit with great force, but they cannot take advantage of this often, as it strains their interior clockwork gears.

Unreliable: The channeled shadow energy that keeps automatons working is only quasi-real. While Tiktok Servitors much more advanced than the mindless Automatons, they are still sometimes slow to react. At the beginning of each round, the tiktok servitor must succeed on a DC 5 concentration check, or take no actions for the round. It is also treated as flatfooted for this round.

Vicious Strike (Ex): A minor technical glitch allows the tiktok servitor to fight with many times the strength it would usually have, granting it a +2d6 damage bonus when it actively chooses to take advantage of this glitch. To activate the glitch, the creature merely has to choose to do so right before attacking with its slam attack or melee weapon. The tiktok servitor can do this as many times as it wants per encounter. It must be careful, however, as doing this causes great strain on its internal gears, and it suffers 1d6 damage each time it tries to take advantage of the glitch (even if it misses after stating its attempt to use it).

Skills: Tiktok servitors gain a +2 bonus on Concentration checks.

Construction
    Making a Tiktok servitor requires many golden or iron gears of various sizes and a frame to house them in. The body must be prepared to be inhabited by an essence of the Plane of Shadow. Both processes cost about 2,000 gp altogether.

Caster level 7th; Craft Construct; Shadow Conjuration; Cost 2,350 gp + 188 XP; Price 4,700 gp

Tiktok Servitors as Characters
    Tiktok Servitors rarely strike out on their own, but it is becoming more common with the recent revolts against their masters (which have actually caused the legal releash of some of them from slavery). Tiktok Servitors have the following racial traits:
    • +2 Strength, -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma. As constructs, Tiktok Servitors have no Constitution score.
    • Small Construct (Extraplanar): Tiktok Servitors have all the traits of regular constructs, including darkvision 60 ft., lowlight vision, and their immunities. As natives to the Demiplane of Oz, Tiktok Servitors have the Extraplanar subtype while on the Material Plane.
    • Unreliable: The channeled shadow energy that keeps automatons working is only quasi-real. While Tiktok Servitors much more advanced than the mindless Automatons, they are still sometimes slow to react. At the beginning of each round, the tiktok servitor must succeed on a DC 5 concentration check, or take no actions for the round. It is also treated as flatfooted for this round.
    • Vicious Strike (Ex): A minor technical glitch allows the tiktok servitor to fight with many times the strength it would usually have, granting it a +2d6 damage bonus when it actively chooses to take advantage of this glitch. To activate the glitch, the creature merely has to choose to do so right before attacking with its slam attack or melee weapon. The tiktok servitor can do this as many times as it wants per encounter. It must be careful, however, as doing this causes great strain on its internal gears, and it suffers 1d6 damage each time it tries to take advantage of the glitch (even if it misses after stating its attempt to use it).
    • +2 bonus to Concentration checks
    • Tiktok servitors have one natural attack in the form of a slam that deals 1d3 damage.
    • Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Dwarf, Terran, Gnome, Qua'ati, Yummish.
    • Favored Class: Factotum
    • Level Adjustment: +2
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-02-21 at 05:52 PM.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Tiktok Creature (Demiplane of Oz Project)

As a huge fan of Maguire's Oz I approve of this!
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

I'm really glad this has nothing to do with Ke$ha.
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    As a huge fan of Maguire's Oz I approve of this!
    Thanks. It should be up within a month or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    I'm really glad this has nothing to do with Ke$ha.
    Argh, I'd never do something like that.

Her songs are just annoying....

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

And there I thought I'd see a template that would make anyone a crazy alcoholic party animal.
    Last edited by Critical; 2011-02-17 at 12:09 PM.
    Awesome Bleachatar by Terry576.

Previous Awesome Avvies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Levethix the Dray Arcane Swordsage from the harsh world of Dark Sun.

Fallout bloody mess avatar by C-Lam.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ursa Warrior PrC
    More to come... I hope.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Perhaps I should rename this thread....

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Creatures native to the Demiplane of Oz should have the Extraplanar Subtype. (Huge fan of Maguire's Wicked and I even worked on Grimgrin's Oz OGL project (have it as a pdf if anyone's interested).

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll add the extraplanar subtype.

What should the favorite class be? My gut reaction is expert, but that obviously won't work. Factotum, perhaps?
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-02-18 at 06:08 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Added the Construction and Tiktok Servitors as Characters sections. Any comments/concerns? Do you guys think Factotum is an appropriate Favored Class?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

It's been awhile since I looked at it but it seems appropriate.
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here