New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Lists of Necessary Magic Items

Is it just me, or are Winged Boots (DMG) missing from the flight list?
    "It speaks of time as an ally, not as an enemy. It says that patience can sharpen even the smallest of efforts into a weapon that can strike the heart of an empire. Your victories may be small, but over time, a greater victory may be achieved."

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AbuDhabi View Post
    They are missing. Thanks for pointing them out!

They aren't very good compared to the other options, but they exist.
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ernir View Post
    They are missing. Thanks for pointing them out!

They aren't very good compared to the other options, but they exist.
    I was going to say that they are strictly inferior to the Winged Mask and therefor probably left out on purpose, but I see that I was incorrect.
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Random NPC View Post
    I was going to say that they are strictly inferior to the Winged Mask and therefor probably left out on purpose, but I see that I was incorrect.
    Most things are strictly inferior to that thing.

I added the Winged Boots and the Celestial Armor to the "not recommended" bin.

Also moved the Winged Vest out of it. I suppose it's good to have something in the "recommended" category that isn't from a weird 3.0 book.

Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

If you count a maneuver-granting item of Shadow Jaunt/Shadow Stride/Shadow Blink for short-range teleportation, go for it! (3K, 15K, 45K for Jaunt/Stride/Blink. May also require an initiator level of 3/9/15.)
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Endarire View Post
    If you count a maneuver-granting item of Shadow Jaunt/Shadow Stride/Shadow Blink for short-range teleportation, go for it! (3K, 15K, 45K for Jaunt/Stride/Blink. May also require an initiator level of 3/9/15.)
    Hmm. I already have the Novice Shadow Hands listed. You think the other two are good enough for the cost?

7. - Top - End - #127
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

This is not something that gives true sight, but
    ILLUSION BANE +1
    Illusion Theft +2

both of these weapon enchantment make it so you negate all mis-chance caused by illusions also if you hit you can dispel them (or steal them in the case of Illusion Theft). They don't give true sight, but they counter the same thing(miss chance).

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

The concealment list doesn't feature eversmoking bottle, from the DMG. It provides one the largest area effect concealments in the game, easily covering the entire party and providing real ambiguity as to where they might have run to.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm. It's not that the Illusion Bane enhancement is bad (in fact, I've used it on a character), but I don't think it fits the "True Seeing" bill well enough to make the list, it's a very, very partial fulfillment.

On the eversmoking bottle, though, wow. I can't believe I didn't have that one!

Thanks, both of you.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hmm. It's not that the Illusion Bane enhancement is bad (in fact, I've used it on a character),
    It's a superb (and not especially cheesy) example of a situational enhancement that is great to put on ammunition (for 1/50 the cost), without having to pay for the full normal price increase on your main weapon.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Togo View Post
    The concealment list doesn't feature eversmoking bottle, from the DMG. It provides one the largest area effect concealments in the game, easily covering the entire party and providing real ambiguity as to where they might have run to.
    You can combine this with the fire eyes spell from Masters of the Wild, a 0-level Druid spell that lets you see normally through smoke, fire, and fog. Unfortunately, it doesn't work on magical fog. Fortunately, magical smoke != magical fog.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Random addition to this on carrying gear... a Magebreed Mule (Eberron Campaign Setting) can have +4 Str over a regular Mule and +10' movement speed, and still only costs 16gp. That gives it almost double the carrying capacity and better jump checks as well as better ability to keep up with a horse mounted party. At low levels, it's totally worth it. I pretty much always buy these for low level parties that want to carry stuff.

JaronK

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by JaronK View Post
    Random addition to this on carrying gear... a Magebreed Mule (Eberron Campaign Setting) can have +4 Str over a regular Mule and +10' movement speed, and still only costs 16gp. That gives it almost double the carrying capacity and better jump checks as well as better ability to keep up with a horse mounted party. At low levels, it's totally worth it. I pretty much always buy these for low level parties that want to carry stuff.

JaronK
    What do you need a mule's Jump check for? Aside from playing the most epic campaign in the universe, I mean.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    What do you need a mule's Jump check for? Aside from playing the most epic campaign in the universe, I mean.
    Pits are common enough in low-level dungeons. Also giving the small character an emergency mount to escape on and over difficult terrain isn't a bad thing.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

15. - Top - End - #135
    Orc in the Playground

It's obviously situational, but would a wand of winged watcher (from Complete Mage) count in the flight category? It seems to be as good as the wand of swift fly for most applications, but at 1/6 the cost.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chaos_redefined View Post
    It's obviously situational, but would a wand of winged watcher (from Complete Mage) count in the flight category? It seems to be as good as the wand of swift fly for most applications, but at 1/6 the cost.
    Huh. Nice find.

It's seriously niche at CL 1, but yes, it could get you across a chasm.

Will most likely add once I have looked up the Polymorph subschool details.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Orc in the Playground

You temporarily replace all your statistics with that of a raven or owl, except you keep the following:

Alignment
    HP
    You are treated as having your normal HD for purposes of spells such as sleep
    You still understand the languages you knew beforehand. (If you can speak and/or write in your new form, you can speak/write those languages. This doesn't apply here, obviously)

Other than that, you replace your character sheet with the monster manual entry for raven/owl for the duration of the spell.

For the record, owls and ravens have a fly speed of 40 ft (average). So, not as good as a lot of other options...
    Last edited by chaos_redefined; 2013-02-27 at 05:07 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

For miss chances you're missing:
    Gloves of the Shadow Hand, Novice: Child of Shadow (stance)
    Handbook in Process:Getting the Facts Straight: A Guide to the Factotum

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Singular Band: There can be only one
    Khayal: A monster class worth playing

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Player: I'll use a classic ploy. "Help! Guards! He's having a seizure!"
    DM: You're the only one in the prison.
    Player: I'm very convincing.
    DM: And there are no guards.
    Player: But there's masonry.
    DM: It's not even animate, let alone sentient.
    Player: That's ok. I'll take the penalty.

19. - Top - End - #139

Under the heading of Mind Blank, there's a custom item that grants immunity to a subset of mind-affecting effects. It's a continuous item of Protection from Evil, that's 4000gp (because of the duration). The wording is:
    (...) blocks any attempt to possess the warded creature (by a magic jar attack, for example) or to exercise mental control over the creature (including enchantment (charm) effects and enchantment (compulsion) effects that grant the caster ongoing control over the subject, such as dominate person).
    It depends a lot on the interpretation by the DM, but at least you're not going to be Dominated or Charmed anytime soon. Plus, it's very cheap.
    Last edited by AbuDhabi; 2013-03-25 at 02:55 PM.
    "It speaks of time as an ally, not as an enemy. It says that patience can sharpen even the smallest of efforts into a weapon that can strike the heart of an empire. Your victories may be small, but over time, a greater victory may be achieved."

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Scrying Shard (MiC). At-Will Scrying for any character for 1350 and it acts as a Focus for said Scrying.

Yeah, really.
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chaos_redefined View Post
    You temporarily replace all your statistics with that of a raven or owl, except you keep the following:

Alignment
    HP
    You are treated as having your normal HD for purposes of spells such as sleep
    You still understand the languages you knew beforehand. (If you can speak and/or write in your new form, you can speak/write those languages. This doesn't apply here, obviously)

Other than that, you replace your character sheet with the monster manual entry for raven/owl for the duration of the spell.

For the record, owls and ravens have a fly speed of 40 ft (average). So, not as good as a lot of other options...
    Ooofff, I completely forgot about this one. Sorry about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    For miss chances you're missing:
    Gloves of the Shadow Hand, Novice: Child of Shadow (stance)
    Hmm.

Can Stances really be put into the maneuver items? I've always assumed they can't, but I don't know the RAW here off-hand. Anyone more certain?

Under the heading of Mind Blank, there's a custom item that grants immunity to a subset of mind-affecting effects. It's a continuous item of Protection from Evil, that's 4000gp (because of the duration). The wording is:

It depends a lot on the interpretation by the DM, but at least you're not going to be Dominated or Charmed anytime soon. Plus, it's very cheap.
    Oooo, that's cool. Why didn't I think of that?!
    Adding now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Cookie View Post
    Scrying Shard (MiC). At-Will Scrying for any character for 1350 and it acts as a Focus for said Scrying.

Yeah, really.
    Really?

I don't quite buy it.

You actually found a DM that took the 1350 GP no-activation item with the description of "A character of any class can cast scrying using a scrying shard as a focus." to mean "anyone can use this item to cast scrying at any time" rather than "A character can use a scrying shard as a focus for a scrying spell regardless of character class" (normal scrying focuses are really cumbersome)? The wording could be more concreate, but...

REALLY?

22. - Top - End - #142

The Scrying Shard thing was recently in the Dysfunction Thread, so I assume that's where it's from, and no Stances can not be put into those items.
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White

23. - Top - End - #143

For extra dimensional there is
    CASTING GLOVE: like glove of storing but can activate stored magic items once per round even consuming potions. 20,000 from MIC

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja PieKing View Post
    For extra dimensional there is
    CASTING GLOVE: like glove of storing but can activate stored magic items once per round even consuming potions. 20,000 from MIC
    Thanks for pointing it out.

I'm not sure the item is any good, though. Is there an advantage to not having to retrieve the item (as a free action) before using it that I'm not seeing? Disarm attempts?

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks for pointing it out.

I'm not sure the item is any good, though. Is there an advantage to not having to retrieve the item (as a free action) before using it that I'm not seeing? Disarm attempts?
    Having your hands full.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #146

Quote Originally Posted by The Random NPC View Post
    and no Stances can not be put into those items.
    You would be wrong on that.

Tome of Battle page 149]Activation: A crown of White Ravens requires a day to attune to its wearer once it is donned. After wearing it continually for 24 hours, the wearer must choose one of the White Raven maneuvers that the item can grant for which he meets the prerequisite. He then gains knowledge of that maneuver and can use it as long as the crown is worn. Should the crown be removed and then replaced, it requires another day to attune itself to the wearer before it can grant knowledge of any maneuvers.

Effect: A person who has worn a crown of White Ravens for 24 hours gains the use of a single White Raven maneuver for which he meets the prerequisite. The maneuver can be of a martial adept level up to the highest level the item grants. A novice crown of White Ravens grants a maneuver of up to 3rd level, a scholar crown of White Ravens grants a maneuver of up to 6th level, and a master crown of White Ravens grants a maneuver of up to 9th level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tome of Battle page 5
    Stance: A stance is a special type of maneuver.
    RAW is clear, stances are a subset of maneuvers and a Crown of the White Ravens (or the other discipline items) can grant the use of any maneuver that is 1) of the specified discipline, 2) that you meet the prerequisites for (i.e. maneuvers known), and 3) that is of a level that the item can grant.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

27. - Top - End - #147

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    RAW is clear, stances are a subset of maneuvers
    Actually, that's where there's a difficulty. RAW is NOT clear; some parts of ToB (like the line you quoted) treat Stances as a type of maneuver, while many other parts of the book do not treat stances as maneuvers.

And the general consensus has always been that you can't get Stances from the magic item series. I can't remember the exact evidence/arguments that led to this consensus (I want to say it was an FAQ clarification), so you may want to appeal to more rules-lawyer-expert forumites.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

28. - Top - End - #148

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    Actually, that's where there's a difficulty. RAW is NOT clear; some parts of ToB (like the line you quoted) treat Stances as a type of maneuver, while many other parts of the book do not treat stances as maneuvers.
    No, RAW is quite clear. Page 5 of Tome of Battle defines the term "Stance" for the martial magic system of D&D 3.5 and it states outright that it is a special type of maneuver.

There is absolutely no RAW ambiguity at all.

And the general consensus has always been that you can't get Stances from the magic item series. I can't remember the exact evidence/arguments that led to this consensus (I want to say it was an FAQ clarification), so you may want to appeal to more rules-lawyer-expert forumites.
    Then the "general consensus" is incorrect (it wouldn't be the first time). RAW is utterly clear on this with no ambiguity at all.

Stances are Maneuvers and the items give maneuvers.

EDIT: Page 5, which defines the rules terms for the system, couldn't be any clearer that Stances are maneuvers.

"Unlike other maneuvers, most stances can remain in effect for
    an indefinite time"
    Last edited by Emperor Tippy; 2013-06-04 at 11:32 AM.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Barbarian in the Playground

The lawkeeper's lock from ghostwalk, is a 12100g amulet which provides constant protection from chaos, and can be used once for summon monster V and once for order's wrath. Worth noting if a DM doesn't buy into the standard guidlines for item creation, alongside other options for effective partial mind blank.

30. - Top - End - #150

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    There is absolutely no RAW ambiguity at all.
    Completely agree with this. Stances are manoeuvres, just like strikes, counters and boosts are also manoeuvres. They count towards your known manoeuvres with regards to prerequisites for other manoeuvres and everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Narsil View Post
    This is a D&D web forum. There's more cheese here than there is in France.