New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXXIII: DeeganBallZ

I can't hear you guys! Try talking in a bigger font!
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

As I don't really find anything worthwhile to talk about in the current page, I'll just say that I really really dislike Mookie's sense of monster design.

Every single monster he makes, I just can't stand.

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

3. - Top - End - #243
    Pixie in the Playground

I like how Mookie seems to be trying to reassure himself in regards to fighting with a future spouse... At least I'm trying to hold on to the hope that his personal life will crash so hard that the only way to have it reflected adequately in his self-insertion fic is to have them return to the plot about the looming apocalypse.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hours View Post
    I like how Mookie seems to be trying to reassure himself in regards to fighting with a future spouse... At least I'm trying to hold on to the hope that his personal life will crash so hard that the only way to have it reflected adequately in his self-insertion fic is to have them return to the plot about the looming apocalypse.
    Doesn't he have a tendency of moving across the country after each break up? At least, that's what I'd gathered from his non-comic filler and comments about the various girlfriends he's lived with and then gotten kicked out by.

At this stage, such a move might actually kill or indefinite hiatus the comic.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2011-02-23 at 05:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

I always find this thread turning into what I'd call "creepy mode" whenever Mookie's personal life comes up.

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

6. - Top - End - #246
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Neoriceisgood View Post
    I always find this thread turning into what I'd call "creepy mode" whenever Mookie's personal life comes up.
    I, too, wish he had kept it a little more separate from his comic production.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hours View Post
    Well, at least you're wishing bad things on an author for the right reason....
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    Have we had a plot point for the week yet? Does "Dominic goes deaf" count?
    Depends on the counting. Is it an integral or an absolute value? If it's the latter then yes, because I think were entering the realm of negative plot point. The "roar" counts a half a positive point, since it changed something. Today's strip reverses that and counts as half a negative point, since the roar is now just a minor inconvenience, and the focus is shifted from an actual story to boring relationship stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ettin in the Playground

Is it just me, or does the newspost indicate that Mookie might be hurting for ad dollars?
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Orc in the Playground

"Dominic Travoria: Psychic Accessory".

I would strongly approve if tomorrow's strip involved the Destroyer forcibly dragging Dom's psyche back to the PoD to tell him off for breaching the laws of the universe.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

Luna: I'm going to ignore everything you just shouted at me and focus on the "you're shouting" part.

I'm glad everything she says in the fifth panel is unreadable as I'm sure it would have been just as inane, especially by the look of that god damn expression she has.
    Steamname: Atheist God, if you're lucky.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Did Mookie make this strip just so he could make a joke about domestic arguments and/or verbal abuse in his comments section?

Is there a smiley out there that conveys utter disgust, shock and contempt? I really think I need one for this.

I dunno about him, but I always cringe whenever I see couples yelling at each other in public, especially if their kids are watching.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Is it just me, or does the newspost indicate that Mookie might be hurting for ad dollars?
    Maybe if he's desperate enough for money, he'll start to focus on making a comic that other people would actually want to read. Oh, man, I'm really in trouble with the Lobster Police now.

As for the actual comic, why was Dominic was able to repair himself after being ripped to shreds, but couldn't repair his hearing after it was ripped to shreds? The roar of the Lobster Policeman is just special, I guess.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Dominic Deegan: Luna's Sidekick
    I think this sums it up nicely, save for last year... Either or, I've been on the fence about dropping this comic altogether. I've been completely disinterested since Court of KARNAK! thanks in large to the further derailment of Siggy (or rather I suppose NOTSiggy...), though I can't think of anything aside from Katya that I liked at all last year. Hm.

However, thanks also to this thread I might check out this Pony thing you all have been talking about... >>
    Icon by azuyomi244.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

Regarding ponies, I just finished watching the first episode!

And... Instead of cluttering up this thread with even more pony stuff, I threw my first impression (Curly-style) in the pony thread. Anyone interested can read it here

Man, that was fun.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Huh, I didn't even notice that the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie
    As you can see at the top of the site, I've changed the ad banner to three ad boxes and stacked the comic title to accommodate the new layout. I'm giving it a try and we'll see how I and you folks like it after a little while. And if you're interested in advertising up there, now's a good time to do so! Just click the link below the ads to find out more information. But while you're up there, don't forget to click the links of the fine folks advertising here already!
    Ouch. Well, I feel bad for the guy is SaintRidley is correct - and I suspect he is. I can't imagine 2010 was a good year for him considering how bored we were at the end of it; the Altered States Arc was possibly the worst way to reintroduce the Main Characters back into the story.

Also, let's keep our hands off Mookie. I know I'm guilty of it more than most but we need to keep a constant vigil against such commentary lest we become the Hater Forum that others have long called us.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

17. - Top - End - #257
    Orc in the Playground

I'm with you on all of those sentiments, Oracle_Hunter, but the wish to keep things classy with Mookie has come and gone through these threads without ever seeming to stick. Do you think you could write something to add to the first-page posts? You have more clout on these threads than Twilight Sparkle the pony, so people would consider your suggestion.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kizor View Post
    I'm with you on all of those sentiments, Oracle_Hunter, but the wish to keep things classy with Mookie has come and gone through these threads without ever seeming to stick. Do you think you could write something to add to the first-page posts? You have more clout on these threads than Twilight Sparkle the pony, so people would consider your suggestion.
    Ha, clout? Me? I am merely an old Snarker on his last legs with this boring comic

No, boilerplate is not the way to go. As much as we here are a community we need to rely on social pressure to maintain the feel of this thread.

Mods aside, we have created the tone of the Snarker through repeated interaction and it is these interactions that define who were are. As long as people are willing to cheerfully welcome fans who stop by to visit and to denounce anyone who expresses hostility or spews vitriol we keep our soul. When the last of these good folks pass on this thread will die because these here forums are not built to sustain raw, unreasoning hatred.

Of course, this thread isn't going to survive if we do nothing but discuss ponies for 50 pages either

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

19. - Top - End - #259
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    \\
    Of course, this thread isn't going to survive if we do nothing but discuss ponies for 50 pages either
    Can we discuss Banana bread Recipes instead? The trick is to use GOOD bananas. To much brown and the bread becomes too moist .

But honestly, its his own fault. Although I hope all goes well in his life. But if he doesnt start taking criticism, AND FAST, then the only people left reading his comic will be snarkers.

20. - Top - End - #260

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Unless you buy into the idea that, based on the art style, we already have been.

I kind of think that we do need something like that parallel archive-trawl/continuity-bible-construction -ish idea from a while back, just to keep us focused on the comic, when the comic itself can't handle that.

Which is to be expected when the basic message is:

"Dominic is still deaf." "Dominic is loud." "Dominic is recapping yesterday's comic." "... Loudly." "Now he is recapping, and still deaf." "And loud." "..." "AND LOUD."

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mwchase View Post
    I kind of think that we do need something like that parallel archive-trawl/continuity-bible-construction -ish idea from a while back, just to keep us focused on the comic, when the comic itself can't handle that.
    Meh, we've already gone through such things. The Encyclopedia Dominica is the only reasonable Universe Bible for this comic and it is complete. Of course, that was from a time when it looked like Mookie might actually be interested in creating an internally consistent world; that time died some time ago - during KARNAK if not earlier. Now such Fanon is meaningless because the canon itself is so confused as to boggle even the most devoted Dominicist.

And that's a scary thought when you consider that Glasswood and Inappropriate Walls were considered to be on the "sane" side of such analysis
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2011-02-23 at 11:11 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

22. - Top - End - #262

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by mwchase View Post
    I'm thinking wiki.

Wiki, anyone?
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Then don't look close.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheArsenal View Post
    But honestly, its his own fault. Although I hope all goes well in his life. But if he doesnt start taking criticism, AND FAST, then the only people left reading his comic will be snarkers.
    The funny thing is I think he is actually trying in certain areas, or at least he's trying to make the appearance of it. That's really the best explanation I can think of for this last years focus on the secondary characters and the strangeness of the most recent filler arcs. I really think that the implementation of the concepts he brings up just beyond his abilities at this point, which is kind of sad.

24. - Top - End - #264

Dominic Deegan - so self-absorbed that he doesn't even notice Luna is flinching when he talks. Also, bizarrely, he doesn't notice he's yelling? Maybe it's just me, but it take some effort to bellow loudly enough that I can make people recoil at arm's length.
    I'm overthinking what's meant to be rule of funny, sorry :3

Anyway, I guess he's an oracle, in the sense that the strip uses it which is something something extraplanar tutors, mind magic, something something. In the antique sense, Luna was the oracle - she was the one who was just spouting absurd nonsense and everyone was like "Whoa! Them's godspeakings!"
    Nonetheless, I'd argue the title is more appropriate than it's ever been. Previously, Dom was employed, so the title would be "Dominic Deegan: Hired Oracle." (although he was hired as a teacher, not as an oracle? ehhh, Melna is considered a hired orc, despite her job not hinging on her orcdom)
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

25. - Top - End - #265
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kiroth6 View Post
    The funny thing is I think he is actually trying in certain areas, or at least he's trying to make the appearance of it. That's really the best explanation I can think of for this last years focus on the secondary characters and the strangeness of the most recent filler arcs. I really think that the implementation of the concepts he brings up just beyond his abilities at this point, which is kind of sad.
    Answering Questions nobody asked. Classic mookie. They where still POINTLESS FILLER! It was THEY that tore us away from the comic. Maltak was BAD, but it was so snarkable. The filler arcs where filled with: Bordom, Murder, Character Derailment (Of all my favourite characters). It was a rapid fire attack on everything good in the comic. Snarkers just couldn't cope with that level of bad. Gregory? Jackass. Karnak? Unicorn/ Pegasus (Sigh, bring in a pony thingy here). Siggy? Oh god. Stunt? Sadistic Killer. That Snow guy? Power hungry Jock.

Everything the filler came in contact with it destroyed. We had no idea what we where ****ing with when the filler came out. It was the DD Equivelent of a Obliterate Card, Destroying everything except enchantments....Well ok thats a bad analogy but you get me point? Snarkers where asking about Snuggly, all throught the run of the filler! What we have now is the same quality snark as before. We are just so war torn that our hopes are destroyed, and our snark running at an all time low.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Bugbear in the Playground

*looks at the newspost*

How about that... I guess Mookie is desperate for ad money. Personally I don't have anything against Mookie and honestly the idea of him having money problems and perhaps seeing his world slowly falling apart (less ad money, readers, praise letters, con invites etc.) is... kind of sad. =/ But if I am brutally honest, I have to say that I saw it coming from miles away... Maybe Mookie should consider making the comic a hobby again and not his full time (if you can call it that) job.
    (Christmas) Lillith Avatar by Serpetine
    Psylock Lillith Avatar by Bradakhan
    Ceras Lillith Avatar by Araveugnitsuga

27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    I'm thinking wiki.

Wiki, anyone?
    Yeah, okay. I'm in. So, what are you thinking of, beyond wiki?

Also, I say if Mookie needs some money, let's give some to him and start buying his wallpapers. It should provide good fodder for art-related snarking and, honestly, these threads are worth a dollar per month.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2011-02-23 at 01:40 PM.

28. - Top - End - #268

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    Yeah, okay. I'm in. So, what are you thinking of, beyond wiki?
    Planning is overrated.

Anyway, I reiterate an earlier question: would it be preferable to use the existing abandoned wiki, and hope no one else comes to claim it, or create our own, snarker-specific wiki?
    Show
    Then don't look close.

29. - Top - End - #269

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Welf View Post
    I just realized how awesome energy beams are. Mookie totally disappointed my for failing to give us a beam fight.

And I just joined the pony fad. Friendship is awesome.
    NO.

Friendship is magic.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frogwarrior View Post
    NO.

Friendship is magic.
    Except when magic is just magic.

Sorry.