New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXXIII: DeeganBallZ

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    Wow, you're right, that is a decent joke.

Alternatively, replace the last panel of your 4-panel thing with today's eighth panel. Also a weak joke, but a lot better than what we got. That way, it even becomes a "take our word for it" joke (instead of right now, where I actually think Dominic's sketch is decent for someone who can't draw).
    The problem with the eighth panel punchline is that I can't tell if they think Dom's drawing is bad or whether they're freaked out by the Destroyer. I think it has to be the latter because frankly (as you point out) Dom isn't that much worse at drawing than Mookie.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Barbarian in the Playground

Wait, you're right. Mookie has failed to adequately convey the badness of a drawing.

We are approaching some kind of singularity, though it may just be a division by zero.

(Back to what I was saying earlier, if I just picked a wiki farm and went with it to get this off the ground, would anyone pop their monocle or whatever is done around here?)

3. - Top - End - #303

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by mwchase View Post
    (Back to what I was saying earlier, if I just picked a wiki farm and went with it to get this off the ground, would anyone pop their monocle or whatever is done around here?)
    I am always in a constant state of monocle popping.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Bugbear in the Playground

Overall impression of todays comic:
    So the story is being recapped, again. Luna is a moron. What the hell is wrong with her teeth? Dominic is an idiot, why does he keep shouting? Yay Spark.
    (Christmas) Lillith Avatar by Serpetine
    Psylock Lillith Avatar by Bradakhan
    Ceras Lillith Avatar by Araveugnitsuga

5. - Top - End - #305

*looks at comic*

*looks at newsposts*

*compiles mental image of Mookie based on con appearences and said newsposts*

Yeah, I'm going to chalk this one up to self-depreciation. It seems like something Mookie would do here.

Comic Reaction:

When you think of Joyce's Ulysses while reading a strip of Dominic Deegan, Mookie's doing SOMETHING right.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

Wait another minute. The implication (especially after reading the title of the newspost) is that Dominus did a poor job of sketching the Destroyer.

How the hell do Luna (who is great) and Spark know that? For all the know, Destroyers look exactly like that. If they already knew what a Destoryer (that was a typo, but I'm keeping it because it's not entirely inaccurate) looks like, Dominus wouldn't have needed to sketch it. Instead, Luna (who is great) Just Knew that Dominus is doing a poor job.

Dammit, Mookie.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    Future Link - (be a good webcomic reader, view the ads!)
    No! Mookie must feel the pressure of market forces! Adam Smith demands it!

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

So Destroyers have those Dalek "studded: for her pleasure" bumps, eh?

Wiggy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

9. - Top - End - #309
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Anyway, I reiterate an earlier question: would it be preferable to use the existing abandoned wiki, and hope no one else comes to claim it, or create our own, snarker-specific wiki?
    I thought the existing one was snarker-specific already (although it never really took off), but it seems to have been hijacked and then abandoned.
    So, let's just start a new one, I say. I don't really feel like luring the fans that took over the old one out and getting into an editing war or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmyst View Post
    Financial woes with DD will do one of two things for Mookie: Either he will attempt to improve his comic/art/writing/etc in the hopes of gaining new fans from which funds can be extracted, or he'll wrap DD up and find something else to do with his life to which he is more suited. Buying wallpapers and/or other items would be viewed as support for the current state and direction of the comic, which I can't see being of benefit to anyone, even Mookie.
    He's in his thirties and still doing this thing without ever having improved. I think it'd have to really come crashing down for him to leave it behind for good. Although he may start a new comic, I guess.
    But I'd rather not speculate about what Mookie might decide to do with his life or not, my only thought behind that suggestion was that Dominic Deegan provides us with some entertainment, however it accomplishes that, so we might as well help keep it going.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiroth6 View Post
    Especially given the state of the world right now, I can think of a lot more worthy causes than his comic.
    Well, if you're going to give all of your disposable income away for such worthy causes I'm the last one to stop you, but I still spend some of my money on making my free time enjoyable.

The thing that makes the threads enjoyable is the posters, not his comic.
    Well, obviously, most of us don't read the comic because they think it's the best thing ever. I started reading it because I wanted to get in on the fun here.
    I don't see your point, though, because it's kind of hard to justify these threads without a comic to snark.
    Even if snarking means overemphasizing how boring it is sometimes.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Now Dominic's even more of an author insert;

He can't draw and neither can Mookie!

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

11. - Top - End - #311

Even Spark is becoming more of an insert, at which point do they just drop all the pretenses and start calling each other by the names of who they're based off?

12. - Top - End - #312

I can't believe how utterly pointless this week was. It wasn't needed at all. It's as if Mookie had an idea for a new plot point in the Monday strip, but then he decided to drop it. But since he had already written the Monday strip, he had to finish the rest of the week anyway, and this is the result.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McGician View Post
    I can't believe how utterly pointless this week was. It wasn't needed at all. It's as if Mookie had an idea for a new plot point in the Monday strip, but then he decided to drop it. But since he had already written the Monday strip, he had to finish the rest of the week anyway, and this is the result.
    How is this different from any other week?

14. - Top - End - #314

MindFlayer

The Akinator couldn't guess Mookie after 40 questions :(

I thought it was a sure thing when it asked "Is your character pretty terrible at what he does?"

15. - Top - End - #315

On the meta-level, since this is an intermission arc, of course nothing huge can come from it. So, it makes sense that the deafness is an inconvenience, limb loss is an inconvenience, massive trauma dealt to you by demigods is an inconvenience, but nothing more.
    On the plus side, it means that this sketch Dominic has done of the DESTROYER!!!!!!!! isn't actually all that significant either, like the discovery of Maltak's natural necromancy thing (although I like to imagine that it was previously undiscovered because no scientist/arcanist actually gave a single damn about Maltak, kind of like Feebas). Nobody's gonna show up to his house and be all "Excuse me, Mr. Deegan? My name is Wilhelm, and when I heard you'd seen an elusive DESTROYER, I knew I had to have you for my Institute for the Research of Omnipotent iNeffable Immortal Creatures! (IRONIC) Demand what salary you will, sir, money is NO object!" right?

("So the Destroyer-Deafened Deegan's Domestic Dispute was Derailed once Word of his Weird Wisdom reached Wilhelm!" Beat.
    The sound of shattering glass and a gunshot from offstage.
    )
    Last edited by rocketpony; 2011-02-24 at 09:54 AM.
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

16. - Top - End - #316
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Frogwarrior View Post
    The Akinator couldn't guess Mookie after 40 questions :(

I thought it was a sure thing when it asked "Is your character pretty terrible at what he does?"
    That's... probably limited to mostly boxbot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

17. - Top - End - #317

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by rocketpony View Post
    ("So the Destroyer-Deafened Dominic Deegan's Domestic Dispute was Derailed once Word of his Weird Wisdom reached Wilhelm!" Beat.
    The sound of shattering glass and a gunshot from offstage.
    )
    You seem to have missed one, sir.

After all, if we're going to sink to the very depths of literary depravity, then by gods we're going to do it properly!
    Last edited by Wraith; 2011-02-24 at 10:25 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

18. - Top - End - #318
    Troll in the Playground

This strip is a little too easy, slay wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    I don't even know what this is. There used to be genuinely funny jokes in DD, but lately, it's just been... bland. Why is this funny? Because he's shouting like a moron? Because he can't draw? Because Luna is gonna say nasty things behind his back? Neither is particularly funny IMO.
    Really? I don't think the comic has ever been funny. Maybe a few funny jokes, but those were spread out over years and a vast minority.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ettin in the Playground

So Dominic is telling her about a being called THE DESTROYER that nearly anihilated him and gives her a description together with a rough picture... and her first reaction is to mock it (and by extension him).

So great.

It also neatly emphasizes just how irrelevant any of the events were. Snuggly who?
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

20. - Top - End - #320

Instead of sitting here moaning, we should think of ideas to kick off Mookies superhero comic! I just drank six cokes and had the most fantasic brainwave!

So the heros name is Politically Correct Man or PC-Man for short. He wears yellow with red booots and gloves and red underpants like superman. He has a rainbow-colored cape. His logo on his chest is the letters "PC" inside a square.

His superpowers is everything. Super strength, iron body, laser sight, ice breath, the works. He knows all, even the future. But his greatest power is the asspull. He can give himself new superpowers by concentrating, even stuff that was never a superpower before.

He should have a single weakness: He loses all power if he acts politically incorrect and realise it, even if he is tricked into doing so.

He should also have a power-up: A spinach veegan sandwich.

He lines in Metropolis Townsville Anytown. People there are fantasitcally stupid, like walk into a wall stupid and utter helpless. They practically worship PC-Man, who solves all their problems.

We should have some villans! Misogynist Guy, The Homophobe, Racist Dude, Jock Strap ect.

So the first chapter goes like this:
    PC-Man soars proudly over Anytown. But there is trouble afoot! Misogynist Guy (MG) is on the loose and is making lewd comments at women! Declaring this place to be "flatsville" he pulls out a rayguy and starts zapping various females in the chest area. They spontainiously sprout double D breats! None are safe: Store clerc, taxi driver, 80 year old woman, 8 year ols girl, female wiener dog whos legs are now too short, poor critter. Then MG gropes the women, drools and makes more lewd comments. One female shrieks and her arms go all wavey like Olive Oyl from Popeye.

PC-Man's PC sense is tingeling! He uses his omniscience to zero in on the problem. He flies down to put a stop to MG. Apart from the obvious injustice done, PC-Man informs MG for the potential increased risk of breast cancer and long-term lower back problems. MG responds by zapping PC-Man in the chest, giving him double D's!

PC-Man deals MG an epic curbstomp, Beetle Bailey style. As with any ill effect on PC-Man, the breasts are temporary. The End.

So what do you think? Can we sell this idea to Mookie? I think he could actually pull this off.
    Bad to the Bone!
    Miko Miyazaki : Strip #120 - #464 : R.I.P.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Miklus View Post
    Instead of sitting here moaning, we should think of ideas to kick off Mookies superhero comic! I just drank six cokes and had the most fantasic brainwave!

So the heros name is Politically Correct Man or PC-Man for short. He wears yellow with red booots and gloves and red underpants like superman. He has a rainbow-colored cape. His logo on his chest is the letters "PC" inside a square.

His superpowers is everything. Super strength, iron body, laser sight, ice breath, the works. He knows all, even the future. But his greatest power is the asspull. He can give himself new superpowers by concentrating, even stuff that was never a superpower before.

He should have a single weakness: He loses all power if he acts politically incorrect and realise it, even if he is tricked into doing so.

He should also have a power-up: A spinach veegan sandwich.

He lines in Metropolis Townsville Anytown. People there are fantasitcally stupid, like walk into a wall stupid and utter helpless. They practically worship PC-Man, who solves all their problems.

We should have some villans! Misogynist Guy, The Homophobe, Racist Dude, Jock Strap ect.

So the first chapter goes like this:
    PC-Man soars proudly over Anytown. But there is trouble afoot! Misogynist Guy (MG) is on the loose and is making lewd comments at women! Declaring this place to be "flatsville" he pulls out a rayguy and starts zapping various females in the chest area. They spontainiously sprout double D breats! None are safe: Store clerc, taxi driver, 80 year old woman, 8 year ols girl, female wiener dog whos legs are now too short, poor critter. Then MG gropes the women, drools and makes more lewd comments. One female shrieks and her arms go all wavey like Olive Oyl from Popeye.

PC-Man's PC sense is tingeling! He uses his omniscience to zero in on the problem. He flies down to put a stop to MG. Apart from the obvious injustice done, PC-Man informs MG for the potential increased risk of breast cancer and long-term lower back problems. MG responds by zapping PC-Man in the chest, giving him double D's!

PC-Man deals MG an epic curbstomp, Beetle Bailey style. As with any ill effect on PC-Man, the breasts are temporary. The End.

So what do you think? Can we sell this idea to Mookie? I think he could actually pull this off.
    But wait! He has a darker side. If he doesn't get his fill of Vegan Food per day then: His foot falls asleep! The horror!

And pollution is his cryptonite!

22. - Top - End - #322

Snip
    I've seen worse.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

I've made the mistake of talking louder while wearing earplugs before because I wasn't thinking about it at first, so I can understand someone else making the same mistake... for about 5 seconds.

Akinator got Monster in the Darkness in 12 questions. I suspect giantitp has been giving it a lot of visits lately.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2011-02-24 at 02:51 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

A note on today's page:

I find it pretty counter-intuitive that Mookie somehow manages to be bad at showing that a person can't draw.

It ... it really isn't that much worse than his regular art.

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

25. - Top - End - #325

If Mookie ends one more newspost with "rock on" I am going to sneak into his home, hide all of his music within it, and leave nothing but jazz and Justin Bieber in its place.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    If Mookie ends one more newspost with "rock on" I am going to sneak into his home, hide all of his music within it, and leave nothing but jazz and Justin Bieber in its place.
    People read his newsposts?

27. - Top - End - #327
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    I've made the mistake of talking louder while wearing earplugs before because I wasn't thinking about it at first, so I can understand someone else making the same mistake... for about 5 seconds.

Akinator got Monster in the Darkness in 12 questions. I suspect giantitp has been giving it a lot of visits lately.
    As someone who cannot really judge the volume of her own voice without putting forth serious thought to the subject... I have to be reminded to use my indoor voice a lot. But even I don't YELL LOUDLY. That sort of yelling takes effort -- he can't not know he's doing it.
    Last edited by Deme; 2011-02-24 at 04:53 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

28. - Top - End - #328

GnomeWizardGuy

Apart from the PC-Man part, this is pretty much what I expect. Omniman - the Superman expy who can do everything. And based in New Jock City.

It will still be better than the current run of Dominic Deegan.

BTW - we're up to Friday, and the only plot for this week has been:
    • Dominic gets blasted by the Destroyer which led to him losing his connection with the plane and temporary deafness.

And that's it. What the heck happened? Was I right in thinking the intermission was two weeks long, but Mookie overshot by one day and decided to pad the entire week out with pointless filler so he could start anew next Monday?

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    Really? I don't think the comic has ever been funny. Maybe a few funny jokes, but those were spread out over years and a vast minority.
    To be honest, the really good jokes have all been focused around Jakob, but at least Mookie used to know how to pace a joke - and make it recognizable.

Back in the old days, I was able to know what the joke was.

Miklus, that is glorious! In the right hands, this could be one of the funniest things I've seen. In Mookie's hands... well, at least the fail would be wonderful
    Last edited by Glass Mouse; 2011-02-24 at 05:25 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

30. - Top - End - #330

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    BTW - we're up to Friday, and the only plot for this week has been:
    • Dominic gets blasted by the Destroyer which led to him losing his connection with the plane and temporary deafness.

And that's it. What the heck happened? Was I right in thinking the intermission was two weeks long, but Mookie overshot by one day and decided to pad the entire week out with pointless filler so he could start anew next Monday?
    He's trying to make you leave, Trazoi! Don't let him win!
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."