New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXXIII: DeeganBallZ

Okay, I actually like this strip a lot. Sort of. It could be the beginning of Greg's band being called out as shallow and thoughtless. We know it won't be, but there's a hint of that. And I'm being positive, by God.

Also, I chuckled a little at Arturo Capella. And now that I have I don't think I'll be able to ever get clean.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

2. - Top - End - #512
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

Doing some wiki editing, can't find something in the archives. What's the name of Miranda's school?

Also, for your perusal: Gregory Deegan.
    Last edited by Fawkes; 2011-03-01 at 01:41 AM.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Titan in the Playground

Does it have a name? I thought it was just Deeganwarts.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

4. - Top - End - #514
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quiral University?

Miranda's School For Gifted Noble Nerds?

I honestly don't remember if it had an actual name.
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."

5. - Top - End - #515
    Barbarian in the Playground

Is it a bad sign that we keep missing the sneaky gate?. A sign that we are losing the will to snark?

On the comic itself: I hate when Mookie uses a wikipedia entry of a concept or person to look smart. Especially when he feels he has to call attention to it in the newspost.

Here's a tip Mookie: When your version of man's work is so simplified as to make the reference obscure, pointing it out doesn't make it better.

Also, from the dialogue, it would appear Greg is living with his brother and his fiancée. Way to be a third wheel Greg. He's manged to go from being a likeable crippled healer to an unemployed, smug jackass who mooches of his family.
    Last edited by colonelslime; 2011-03-01 at 03:11 AM.
    "Sanity is not statistical."
    - George Orwell, 1984

6. - Top - End - #516
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, Dominic uses the tried and tested method of establishing superior nerddom by luring a hapless victim into a discussion you already stacked in your favor by limiting it to a field you happen to have read a lot about.

But Randy is smarter than he looks (not that hard) and evades the initial attack.

Exciting!

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Doing some wiki editing, can't find something in the archives. What's the name of Miranda's school?
    School of Arcane Arts.

Link
    to be used at your own risk. I wouldn't do it, really. At least make sure an appropriate receptacle for huge amounts of vomit is nearby.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    Ah, Dominic uses the tried and tested method of establishing superior nerddom by luring a hapless victim into a discussion you already stacked in your favor by limiting it to a field you happen to have read a lot about.

But Randy is smarter than he looks (not that hard) and evades the initial attack.

Exciting!

School of Arcane Arts.

Link
    to be used at your own risk. I wouldn't do it, really. At least make sure an appropriate receptacle for huge amounts of vomit is nearby.
    I thought you where joking! I was eating a bublic at the time and I almost choked! What a XXXXX! What attention seeking XXXXX!
    Last edited by TheArsenal; 2011-03-01 at 05:52 AM.

8. - Top - End - #518

Heehee... LAZORGRAVES! Heh.

Sorry, I got up half an hour earlier than usual, and I haven't had my tea yet.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Ettin in the Playground

Is Mookie trying to make Facebath look even stupider? Because that seems to be what's happening.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

10. - Top - End - #520

Imp

School of Arcane Arts.

Link
    PISSFARTPUKE

wait, why?
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Then don't look close.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

PISSFARTPUKE

wait, why?
    The Parents scrap their money to make a touching monument to thier kids.....
    UPSTAGED! How dare non deagans do anything! Here- My monuments are ten times bigger! And they glow!

12. - Top - End - #522
    Titan in the Playground

PISSFARTPUKE

wait, why?
    There's no need for vomit! It's not awful, it's beautiful! Do you see how great Miranda was by setting up huge-ass LAZORGRAVES (thank you mwchase) to upstage those pesky parents and townsfolk honor the beloved memories of the departed students? She's so great! She's great enough to be Luna's mother-in-law!
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

13. - Top - End - #523

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Is Mookie trying to make Facebath look even stupider? Because that seems to be what's happening.
    Perhaps he was worried that Facebath might be so awesome and metal that they'd overshadow Dominic, so he's just trying to redress that balance.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

14. - Top - End - #524

Wait a minute... Since when is Bumper in Greg's band? And since when did he have a tusk? Looks like Mookie still is not taking any art criticism.
    (Christmas) Lillith Avatar by Serpetine
    Psylock Lillith Avatar by Bradakhan
    Ceras Lillith Avatar by Araveugnitsuga

15. - Top - End - #525
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    There's no need for vomit! It's not awful, it's beautiful! Do you see how great Miranda was by setting up huge-ass LAZORGRAVES (thank you mwchase) to upstage those pesky parents and townsfolk honor the beloved memories of the departed students? She's so great! She's great enough to be Luna's mother-in-law!
    When Miranda dies, her lazorgrave will project the glyph for tact. It will span half the graveyard.

She will then return from the grave and erect another monument next to it herself, with the glyph for modesty on it. It will span half the city.

16. - Top - End - #526

What's wrong with Dominic on the third panel? Look at his arm... actually he seems to be age regressing.

17. - Top - End - #527

Okay, this is pretty okay, because it's making Dominic out to be an arrogant jerk who believes the only way to enjoy mythology is on a meta-level. Pity the poor, misguided proletariat, who simply enjoys myths as stories. Don't they know that there are SCHOLARS who've written COMMENTARY on these stories?!

Also, now that I look back on it, was there any reason Miranda couldn't have just contributed to the same damn memorial fund, instead of building the cooler one like twelve feet away? Or is it just rule of funny nyoron~
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

18. - Top - End - #528
    Troll in the Playground

It's fitting for Dominic's character that he would be pretentious, namedropping obscure scholars (and simplifying their ideas, which he probably memorised from MAGIC!pedia) to make himself seem more intelligent and cultured, or thinks it makes him so. As John Locke would say, Dominic is a smug jerk. This post is more meta than Kierkegaard.

Also Dominic likes puns and probably comic books, why is he such a snob about just enjoying the stories.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    Also Dominic likes puns and probably comic books, why is he such a snob about just enjoying the stories.
    Because puns and comics aren't intended to be anything more than shallow entertainment, while mythology is deep and philosophical.

20. - Top - End - #530

Wait, Dominion Campbell is named "A. Capella"? Let me guess: This "Baro" guy who also gets alluded to is surnamed "Tone."

School of Arcane Arts.

Link
    I don't think "School of Arcane Arts" is the name of the entire university. It sounds more like the name of a single school within the university (eg "School of Business" vs "School of Arts and Sciences"). I would wonder what else they teach there, but then I remembered those Muggles who were bullying Prento and Nimmel. Clearly, the academy also contains a "School of Jockitude," which exists for the sole purpose of antagonizing the School of Arcane Arts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

21. - Top - End - #531

On my (long, long) trawl through the archives, I have now reached this comic:

OMGWTFBBQ! Rachel raped Dom in the worst way! No wonder the poor guy was too scared to sleep with anyone ever again! And Luna just think it is funny. Evil, evil woman. Try to imagine in your head that Dom and Luna are switched in the lower strip and that Rachel is some guy. I dare you.

http://www.dominic-deegan.com/view.php?date=2005-07-22
    Bad to the Bone!
    Miko Miyazaki : Strip #120 - #464 : R.I.P.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Yeah. That happened.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

23. - Top - End - #533
    Troll in the Playground

It's funny when a woman does it!

Seriously though, women get away with quite a bit in this comic. Compare pre-derail Siggy and Melna, for example.

Oh, and Rachel must be one of the most ridiculous characters in the comic. Every single one of her appearances is completely insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    I don't think "School of Arcane Arts" is the name of the entire university. It sounds more like the name of a single school within the university (eg "School of Business" vs "School of Arts and Sciences"). I would wonder what else they teach there, but then I remembered those Muggles who were bullying Prento and Nimmel. Clearly, the academy also contains a "School of Jockitude," which exists for the sole purpose of antagonizing the School of Arcane Arts.
    I don't remember any other name for it. However, the School of Jockitude sounds interesting.
    Alternatively, these jocks only enrolled to learn some white magic to get buff. I can already see Dex start a new career as a Slaughterball coach only to find out half his team is hooked on white magic*, which will possibly be maybe a little bit like steroids.

*: The bad kind, not the one Gregory used. They're kind of similar, but not.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2011-03-01 at 03:50 PM.

24. - Top - End - #534

NecromancerGuy

Aye.

Siggy loses his temper with little or no provocation, causing him to punch people. He realizes what he is doing is wrong and tries to change his ways for the better, even if he still slips up now and again. He's a horrible, unlikeable villain with no hope of redemption. Did you also know he was a racist? Gasp!

Melna loses her temper with little or no provocation, causing her to punch people. I don't think she ever comes close to thinking what she does is wrong and never tries to change, persisting in her overtly violent ways. She's a hero you should celebrate if you know what's good for you. She's also an orc. Everyone should love orcs. Did you also know she was raped once? Gasp!

---------------------

Total bull****.

Kill the witch! Burn Melna!

I really hate her. I think in large part because I don't think she has ever been called out on her behavior.

I also hate Rachel for the same reasons.

25. - Top - End - #535
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mwchase View Post
    I just like the idea of having this whole thing also work as a reference. Anybody have any opinions on that? (My thought is that this can collect the results of archive dives, so they're not as necessary in the future.)
    Yes, good idea! How do we put in links?

Also, "I'll definitely contribute" apparantly means "I'll leave and not post until two days later", sorry
    The Szark (who is gay) article is hilarious, though. I dunno why I love this meme so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Shogo View Post
    I also hate Rachel for the same reasons.
    Huh. I didn't really hate her that strongly until this.

Your reason is probably better, though.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

26. - Top - End - #536
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by colonelslime View Post
    Is it a bad sign that we keep missing the sneaky gate?. A sign that we are losing the will to snark?
    Yes, it truly is the Snarkerdämmerung.

I wanted to contribute, too, but suddenly it turns out I have something better to do. That's always the case with me: It's either nothing to do and getting bored or all at once.
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

27. - Top - End - #537
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Welf View Post
    Yes, it truly is the Snarkerdämmerung.
    There actually was a sneaky gate somewhere on the previous page. We aren't completely doomed yet!
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

28. - Top - End - #538

I can already see Dex start a new career as a Slaughterball coach only to find out half his team is hooked on white magic*, which will possibly be maybe a little bit like steroids.

*: The bad kind, not the one Gregory used. They're kind of similar, but not.
    You must mean this kind:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

29. - Top - End - #539

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    Yes, good idea! How do we put in links?
    I think the syntax is [http://example.com link text].

When I get the time, hopefully soon, I'm hoping to put together a pilot-kind-of-thing for what I'm visualizing for more detailed pages. Then, people can comment on an actual page, instead of stare at my ramblings.

It looks like the Encyclopedia is completely migrated. I think I'll focus my efforts on the not-yet-there page on Rapechel.

30. - Top - End - #540

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by mwchase View Post
    It looks like the Encyclopedia is completely migrated.
    You're welcome.
    Show
    Then don't look close.