New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXXIII: DeeganBallZ

I never thought I would say it, but I must start watching My Little Pony.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    I never thought I would say it, but I must start watching My Little Pony.
    One of us!
    One of us!
    One of us!

*cackles with glee*
    Truth resists simplicity.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Can anyone explain to me why My Little Pony is so popular, seriously?

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

4. - Top - End - #184
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neoriceisgood View Post
    It's a show with good characters and a nice sense of humor.

@v You said it better than me.
    Last edited by Gadora; 2011-02-22 at 09:15 AM.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Colossus in the Playground

It's a fun show It has every right to be a soulless committee-designed informercial for toys like every other show of it's type, but it's not. And the fandom is also fun, not least for the fact that it's the first legitimate ray of light to pierce the blackened, twisted depths of 4chan's merciless evil.

To whit;

Spoiler
    Show

EDIT: In liking this show, we are all forced to face the part of ourselves that can be happy with simple acts of kindness, friendship and generosity. The show's technical qualities are very good, but in admitting that you like My Little Pony you're also admitting you like the values it stands for. And in a world of murder dramas, action movies and tragedy, being able to look yourself in the mirror and accept the fact that friendship makes you happy is a good thing.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-02-22 at 08:51 AM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

I'm kind of wondering this too.

I don't watch the show, and don't really plan to (I already watch too many cartoons for a grown man), but I love reading the forum posts and occasionally contributing.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

I just watched all of episode 1.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

8. - Top - End - #188

AssassinGuy

Possibly for the same unexplainable reasons why people, regardless of gender preference, like Robot Unicorn Attack unironically.

That game is addictive.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Even Human View Post
    I figured it went more like this.
    I popped out of "lurk-mode" just to say this: Thank you! This is now cannon for me.
    COMPLETELY explains his deaf-ness. Mmyes....
    Icon by azuyomi244.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Barbarian in the Playground

In almost any other webcomic this would be an interesting development. But this is Dominic Deegan, so we all know that the explanation will be stupid and and the solution anticlimactic.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Having now watched 2 or 3 episodes of ponies, I have to say that I'm impressed by the show and disappointed by the hype. It's not a bad show; in fact, it's pretty good. I just don't think it lives up to the levels of "PONIES PONIES PONIES PONIES PONIES" that I've been seeing. As kids' shows go, it's definitely a good one, but given the choice, I'd still rather watch SpongeBob SquarePants.

Anyway, Dominus is now deaf. What I want to know is why crushing him with a city-sized claw didn't zap him back to reality, but saying hello did . . .

Oh. I get it now.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

12. - Top - End - #192
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie
    Insectoid creatures don't get enough love or respect in fantasy or science fiction, I feel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    *sobs* fire will keep me safe.... fire will keep me safe.... fire will keep me safe....

*rocks back and forth*
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Why. Why must there be 3 of them. I spent all my explosives on the first one, and it's 3 civilian-zombie-chrissalid minions. Why must there be 2 others? I can't escape back to the Skyranger fast enough.
    Why.
    Why.
    Wh-AAAAAARRRRRGHHHHHHHUIROGFISUDhfiphfIOYEGOUIFkl
    Quote Originally Posted by ninja_penguin View Post
    *flicks grenade to 0*

*cries*
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Oh Mah Lawd

Chrissalid Ponies.
    What Do We Do
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    ...We die. Game over man. Game over. T_T:
    I rest my case.

Quote Originally Posted by mwchase View Post
    I wonder what sound effect is appropriate for that. I'm going to go with
    I immediately thought of this one. I really, really wish I hadn't, and as such you all must suffer with me.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2011-02-22 at 11:31 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

13. - Top - End - #193

Miklus bravely continues his march through the DD archive...

Chapter 5-6-7: Retards Galore
    People are being jerks for no reason. Maybe it is because they are retarded. Rachel is introduced. She is also retarded.

Apparently, Greg has a bad case of blood poisoning! Mookie has fun dressing Luna up like some kind of SM-I-don't-know-what.

Jacob is introduced. Dom is pissed and feels that he can decide what his younger brother may and may not talk about. And he is apparently spying on Greg at all times? A mob turns up to burn down Doms house. Dom easily scares them off because they are retarded.

Thoughts:
    This chapters boils my piss. Everybody exept Dom & Co is heavily retarded and these chapters is all about how hard it is for poor Dom & Co to have to share this world with these retards. I had to force myself to press "next"

Chapter 8. Eeeevil satanists
    Siggy shows up and beats the crap out of Dom and Greg. Why? Luna smacks Siggy. Lord Danovich appears to be a werewolf, how is he on the "good" team? Lady Jayden realises that this is all a big mistake because she knows Luna from earlier. Errr...is that how policework is done?!

Dom talks to a slime...And travels to the village of Barthis on a...slime geyser?! Ok, fine by me. It got the plot moving along. Must... not... think... of... the... physics... involved.

Doms Omniscience conviniently tells him that the bartender is one of the bad guys. God forbid he should have to think for himself. The satanists gather! The plot thickens. This is actually not too bad. Vilrath also has seer powers. Poor Siggy takes a rather bad beating.

OK, big show-down time. Dom vs the satanists. Zap! Kapow! Zok! Vilrath is Jacob! And there was much gore. Good guys win, but Jacob lives to be a recuring villan.

Thoughts:
    All in all a pretty good chapter. the best so far. My only real complaint is
    Siggy who seems to have lost 80 IQ point since last we saw him and has gone from reasonable to retard first class.
    Bad to the Bone!
    Miko Miyazaki : Strip #120 - #464 : R.I.P.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Miklus View Post

People are being jerks for no reason. Maybe it is because they are retarded. Rachel is introduced. She is also retarded.

Apparently, Greg has a bad case of blood poisoning! Mookie has fun dressing Luna up like some kind of SM-I-don't-know-what.

Jacob is introduced. Dom is pissed and feels that he can decide what his younger brother may and may not talk about. And he is apparently spying on Greg at all times? A mob turns up to burn down Doms house. Dom easily scares them off because they are retarded.

Thoughts:
    This chapters boils my piss. Everybody exept Dom & Co is heavily retarded and these chapters is all about how hard it is for poor Dom & Co to have to share this world with these retards. I had to force myself to press "next"

Siggy shows up and beats the crap out of Dom and Greg. Why? Luna smacks Siggy. Lord Danovich appears to be a werewolf, how is he on the "good" team? Lady Jayden realises that this is all a big mistake because she knows Luna from earlier. Errr...is that how policework is done?!

Dom talks to a slime...And travels to the village of Barthis on a...slime geyser?! Ok, fine by me. It got the plot moving along. Must... not... think... of... the... physics... involved.

Doms Omniscience conviniently tells him that the bartender is one of the bad guys. God forbid he should have to think for himself. The satanists gather! The plot thickens. This is actually not too bad. Vilrath also has seer powers. Poor Siggy takes a rather bad beating.

OK, big show-down time. Dom vs the satanists. Zap! Kapow! Zok! Vilrath is Jacob! And there was much gore. Good guys win, but Jacob lives to be a recuring villan.

Thoughts:
    Siggy who seems to have lost 80 IQ point since last we saw him and has gone from reasonable to retard first class.
    Visions of Doom, though featuring some flaws, can be reasonably called teh high point of the comic's writing and plot.
    Also, avoid growing to like Siggy if possible. What Mookie does to his character is unspeakable.
    "Sanity is not statistical."
    - George Orwell, 1984

15. - Top - End - #195
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Thoughts:

Thoughts:
    Good analysis. Just a note. Please avoid saying "Retarded" that is SO 4chan. but who am I to talk =P

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheArsenal View Post
    Good analysis. Just a note. Please avoid saying "Retarded" that is SO 4chan. but who am I to talk =P
    I second that motion. Shows up way too often in your text with little to no provocation.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

17. - Top - End - #197
    Orc in the Playground

Thirded. But as for the sound, I'm going to go with Katla.

(Pause the video after the noise stops, to avoid ruining the effect. The special effects did not survive into the modern age.)

18. - Top - End - #198
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kizor View Post
    Thirded. But as for the sound, I'm going to go with Katla.

(Pause the video after the noise stops, to avoid ruining the effect. The special effects did not survive into the modern age.)
    I didnt care. It twas cool. I thought the actors where fine.

PS; Ponies are...Ok, but their not anything worthwhile to me in my opinion. Its decent, but its still My little pony.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground

Visions of Doom had a plot that was way too obviously construed for the characters involved, the worst part probably being what has to be the dumbest ritual of all times.

I agree that it's among the best arcs, and it had a solid amount of actually strong characterization, but it's nothing I'd actually call good.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

I think the "goodness" comes from the fact that it gave us the false impression this comic had any potential for positive growth.

Looking back at them with the foreknowledge that it's just gonna get worse ... well, it makes things that felt fun/okay fall flat as a lack of foresight on the reader's part.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Orc in the Playground

That false impression is probably a healthier attitude.

Most of the things we lambast the comic for don't actually happen.

22. - Top - End - #202

Quote Originally Posted by TheArsenal View Post
    What should I call them, then? Morons? I did it to point out just how many morons there are. Rachel is trying to break bricks with her face for crying out loud. For me, this is the worst part of the comic: To have everybody except the Deegan family act like total morons just to show how fantastic the Deegans are. To show people in general as morons is just arrogant.
    Bad to the Bone!
    Miko Miyazaki : Strip #120 - #464 : R.I.P.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

That false impression is probably a healthier attitude.

Most of the things we lambast the comic for don't actually happen.
    Care to elaborate? Not entirely sure what you're talking about.

I find that most if not all of the objections I have to DD are completely justified and real.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

What should I call them, then? Morons? I did it to point out just how many morons there are. Rachel is trying to break bricks with her face for crying out loud. For me, this is the worst part of the comic: To have everybody except the Deegan family act like total morons just to show how fantastic the Deegans are. To show people in general as morons is just arrogant.
    Actually that problem is pretty common in fiction. It's either the creator being too dumb to come with anything really clever so he makes all the other characters ultra-dumb for the occasion or he believes his readers are morons so anything really clever will go over their heads.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Orc in the Playground

I find that most if not all of the objections I have to DD are completely justified and real.
    I haven't been following your objections, but that's entirely plausible.

An awful lot of the criticism leveled at Dominic Deegan involves guesses about things that are about to happen. These guesses are often wrong. For instance, just a few days ago there were a fair few "Agh Mookie what are you doing" posts about the way Dominic would start to shoot energy beams.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

I just realized how awesome energy beams are. Mookie totally disappointed my for failing to give us a beam fight.

And I just joined the pony fad. Friendship is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, screw you guys.
    I could dodge this pony stuff when it was just fans posting pictures. But now that there's an actual discussion about its qualities and some differing opinions I just have to watch it to see for myself.
    I'm gonna be wasting my time-wasting time on My Little Pony because of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    >_>

<_<

... ....

HWAIIIEEE!!!!!
    Indeed. The finest call in nature. It shall not be tainted by being associated with this terrible space lobster.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    Yeah, screw you guys.
    I could dodge this pony stuff when it was just fans posting pictures. But now that there's an actual discussion about its qualities and some differing opinions I just have to watch it to see for myself.
    To be accurate the consensus is that it's good; the differing opinions so far is whether it's good enough to warrant it being an internet-wide meme. I'll agree that it's not a "OMG THIS IS THE BEST SHOW EVER!" show (really, I can't think of a show that fits that bill), but it is a very solid cartoon that succeeds in being entertaining for adults while still primarily aiming for young toy consumers. It's become a popular meme because a) you don't expect a toy commercial show to be entertaining, b) it makes for very pretty still shots and c) PONIES!

I like though how the My Little Pony thread has already started with theories about Celestia running a dictatorship. We've lacked some good Lord Dominus material here for a while.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2011-02-22 at 06:54 PM.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

I haven't been following your objections, but that's entirely plausible.

An awful lot of the criticism leveled at Dominic Deegan involves guesses about things that are about to happen. These guesses are often wrong. For instance, just a few days ago there were a fair few "Agh Mookie what are you doing" posts about the way Dominic would start to shoot energy beams.
    Yeah, and the actual outcome (Teddybear Activated Space Lobster) was far worse
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

30. - Top - End - #210
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Yeah, and the actual outcome (Teddybear Activated Space Lobster) was far worse
    'specially cause we've got two options going out:

Snuggly is dead, game over.
    Snuggly is unharmed, entire thing a waste of time that reduces any sort of threat Snuggly could theoretically pose.

To be accurate the consensus is that it's good; the differing opinions so far is whether it's good enough to warrant it being an internet-wide meme. I'll agree that it's not a "OMG THIS IS THE BEST SHOW EVER!" show (really, I can't think of a show that fits that bill), but it is a very solid cartoon that succeeds in being entertaining for adults while still primarily aiming for young toy consumers. It's become a popular meme because a) you don't expect a toy commercial show to be entertaining, b) it makes for very pretty still shots and c) PONIES!
    This is a fairly accurate assessment.