New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXXIII: DeeganBallZ

Quote Originally Posted by Miklus View Post
    I did it to point out just how many morons there are. Rachel is trying to break bricks with her face for crying out loud.
    While I do not question the moron status of most of the population of the Dominic Deegan universe, one must point out that breaking bricks with your face is less moronic when you can actually do it.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    To be accurate the consensus is that it's good; the differing opinions so far is whether it's good enough to warrant it being an internet-wide meme. I'll agree that it's not a "OMG THIS IS THE BEST SHOW EVER!" show (really, I can't think of a show that fits that bill), but it is a very solid cartoon that succeeds in being entertaining for adults while still primarily aiming for young toy consumers. It's become a popular meme because a) you don't expect a toy commercial show to be entertaining, b) it makes for very pretty still shots and c) PONIES!

I like though how the My Little Pony thread has already started with theories about Celestia running a dictatorship. We've lacked some good Lord Dominus material here for a while.
    True. I was expecting a little bit more after everything I'd heard. But really, the reason I kept watching is that it makes for such a fun fanon. Just look at the MLP thread in Media! Pony pictures, fanart, videos, and of course, the Iron-Hooved Interpretations. Ponies are apparently just really fun to make memes out of.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground

The lady and I just watched the first two episodes. Glorious!
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Barbarian in the Playground

Having just watched the first two episodes of my little pony, I must admit I find it well made for what it is. Taken as a kid's show, it's about as good as it can be, and I really liked the fact that the characters had well defined personalities, and the world seemed to function on well established rules and ideas. (Ie. There are three types of ponies, with different abilities, well established mythology, ect.) I hate shows that do non-sequiturs in place of actual plot, and I hate shows following the "average kid + 2 friends overcome everyday challenges while scheming rich girl/ brutish bully antagonist gets whats coming to them" even more. It's nice to see a kids show that's an actual story, ratehr than random crap....

I miss Teddy Ruxpin

Edit: I also like the no-nonsense, slightly snarky Purple one... I won't admit to knowing her name.

Editx2: Also, from episode 3, which I just started watching, I like how the ponies have a more defined economy and government than Dominion does.
    Last edited by colonelslime; 2011-02-22 at 10:54 PM.
    "Sanity is not statistical."
    - George Orwell, 1984

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

One wonders if a one-to-one comparison chart could be drawn up between the two. To show that Dominic Deegan looses on most if not all fronts, to My Little Pony of all things. On the other hand, Mookie vs. Lauren Faust is no contest, so...

6. - Top - End - #216

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    One wonders if a one-to-one comparison chart could be drawn up between the two. To show that Dominic Deegan looses on most if not all fronts, to My Little Pony of all things. On the other hand, Mookie vs. Lauren Faust is no contest, so...
    The humour is definitely better in My Little Pony, and that's pretty sad when you think about it. Also, it manages to "show, not tell" much better: Spike the dragon asks for rubies to eat at a restaurant, from this we learn that dragons eat gemstones. Mookie would just have had Dominic say "Dragons eat gemstones".

Hell, even it's puns are better: somepony else, instead of somebody else.
    Last edited by colonelslime; 2011-02-22 at 11:12 PM.
    "Sanity is not statistical."
    - George Orwell, 1984

7. - Top - End - #217

GnomeWizardGuy

Honestly - it's not a fair comparison. It's not as if My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is just from Lauren Faust - she's got a team, and she's building on an established canon.

If you want a fair comparison, you'd need to look at Milky Way and the Galaxy Girls, which AFAIK is still in the world building phase and doesn't have a plot yet. Much better character design though.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Banned

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by averagejoe; 2011-02-25 at 02:21 AM.

9. - Top - End - #219

Now, really, that was uncalled for. I don't think I am a manbaby at all.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Nothing can stop The Smooze."

10. - Top - End - #220
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow View Post
    {Scrub the post, scrub the quote}
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by averagejoe; 2011-02-25 at 02:21 AM.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Dwarf in the Playground

Perhaps some people would prefer a different flavor of pony, maybe hard-boiled?

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Kiroth6; 2011-02-23 at 12:07 AM.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

Sneaky Gate

Future Link

In which nothing funny or particularly interesting happens except to confirm that, yes, Dominic is still deaf five seconds later.

13. - Top - End - #223

Quote Originally Posted by Khosan View Post
    Sneaky Gate

Future Link

In which nothing funny or particularly interesting happens except to confirm that, yes, Dominic is still deaf five seconds later.
    Oh yeah, we talk about the comic here.

Why is "Roar" in inverted commas? Why did he 'get hit by it'? Isn't it more natural to say "Good God! I can't hear anything!"

Also, Luna's face in panel 5.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

Why is "roar" in quotation marks?

What the hell is wrong with Luna (who is great)'s eyes?

Did we really need this strip for any reason?
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

15. - Top - End - #225

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Khosan View Post
    My winning of the pony bet - vindicated!

Otherwise nothing to add, except maybe...

DESTROYER used ROAR!
    DOMINIC DEEGAN ran away!

...nah, still not worth it.

Have we had a plot point for the week yet? Does "Dominic goes deaf" count?

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ettin in the Playground

Anyone else notice that it took an entire comic of Dominic shouting about how bad his hearing was before Luna realized she should speak up?

17. - Top - End - #227
    Dwarf in the Playground

Grumpy, need glasses, Lost teeth, walks with a cane, infertile and now deaf. Is Mookie trying to deal with the god-sue arguments by turning his main character into a prematurely old man?

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, this is just dumb. You would think that after the first two failed attempts at verbal communication, they'd figure out that they'd be better off, oh I dunno... writing things down? But no, they continue talking/yelling at each other.

Maybe Luna's just dense and/or slow on the uptake:
    Dom: "I think I'm deaf!"
    Luna: "I'll just keep talking at you."

Or Dom's just used to ignoring Luna:
    Panel 5/6 Dom: "I'm sorry Luna, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am!"

19. - Top - End - #229

Quote Originally Posted by Kiroth6 View Post
    Grumpy, need glasses, Lost teeth, walks with a cane, infertile and now deaf. Is Mookie trying to deal with the god-sue arguments by turning his main character into a prematurely old man?
    It's baffling. It's missing the point so narrowly and yet so completely. I can't even articulate it without charged economic and political metaphors.

20. - Top - End - #230

Fangly is beginning to morph! Or maybe making a run for it in that last panel?
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."

21. - Top - End - #231

This page might as well be about Luna's horrific transmogrification cause I can't tear myself away from those terrible expressions. She goes through three different faces in eight panels, like if Mystique lost control of her powers.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's baffling. It's missing the point so narrowly and yet so completely. I can't even articulate it without charged economic and political metaphors.
    Maybe he's trying to have Domi take on the wise old man role?

That way he can still always be right.

23. - Top - End - #233

Quote Originally Posted by Kiroth6 View Post
    Maybe he's trying to have Domi take on the wise old man role?

That way he can still always be right.
    That's one of those ideas that could be great (Dominic being regulated to providing advice and cryptic projections rather than mind crushing everyone) but also misses that fundamental point.

That is to say, interesting, well thought out plots using second sight as it's primary tool rather than fistfights in brainspace (also Luna)

24. - Top - End - #234
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I have to say my mind's stuck on trying to figure out if Luna's gotten a little help from Kaledonia on the sly or if her teeth are trying to eat her face in Panel 8. It's like looking at a creepy dual-image illusion.

25. - Top - End - #235

Something I just realized.

When was the last time Dominic had an actual vision? Not counting Maltak's "I just know" handwaves.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kizor View Post
    Thirded. But as for the sound, I'm going to go with Katla.

(Pause the video after the noise stops, to avoid ruining the effect. The special effects did not survive into the modern age.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miklus View Post
    Miklus bravely continues his march through the DD archive...

Chapter 5-6-7: Retards Galore
    People are being jerks for no reason. Maybe it is because they are retarded. I question thier mental health. Rachel is introduced. She is also retarded. She is also part of that group.

Apparently, Greg has a bad case of blood poisoning! Mookie has fun dressing Luna up like some kind of SM-I-don't-know-what.

Jacob is introduced. Dom is pissed and feels that he can decide what his younger brother may and may not talk about. And he is apparently spying on Greg at all times? A mob turns up to burn down Doms house. Dom easily scares them off because they are retarded. operantly in the country of mages, common peasants have a mob mentality.

Thoughts:
    This chapters boils my piss. Everybody exept Dom & Co is heavily retarded absolute idiot and these chapters is all about how hard it is for poor Dom & Co to have to share this world with these retards. I had to force myself to press "next"

Chapter 8. Eeeevil satanists
    Siggy shows up and beats the crap out of Dom and Greg. Why? Luna smacks Siggy. Lord Danovich appears to be a werewolf, how is he on the "good" team? Lady Jayden realises that this is all a big mistake because she knows Luna from earlier. Errr...is that how policework is done?!

Dom talks to a slime...And travels to the village of Barthis on a...slime geyser?! Ok, fine by me. It got the plot moving along. Must... not... think... of... the... physics... involved.

Doms Omniscience conviniently tells him that the bartender is one of the bad guys. God forbid he should have to think for himself. The satanists gather! The plot thickens. This is actually not too bad. Vilrath also has seer powers. Poor Siggy takes a rather bad beating.

OK, big show-down time. Dom vs the satanists. Zap! Kapow! Zok! Vilrath is Jacob! And there was much gore. Good guys win, but Jacob lives to be a recuring villan.

Thoughts:
    All in all a pretty good chapter. the best so far. My only real complaint is
    Siggy who seems to have lost 80 IQ point since last we saw him and has gone from reasonable to retard first class. a psychotic murderer.

Does this world have not enough oxygen to go around? Because that would explain the brain damage.
    "Retarded" is unpreferable because its sort of like the juivinile "Gay" argument.
    In addition it just reduces the impact of the work if you constantly used. For example

Hi "redarted" Im "Retarded"

Or

"By GOD this is one of the most "retarded **** I have ever read"

Otherwise you have good arguments.
    Last edited by TheArsenal; 2011-02-23 at 02:30 AM.

27. - Top - End - #237

AssassinGuy

Something I just realized.

When was the last time Dominic had an actual vision? Not counting Maltak's "I just know" handwaves.
    I think we can all agree that the whole "Oracle for Hire" thing is way out of date. He's not really an "Oracle" since he hasn't had any visions for a long time. Heck, he's not even for "Hire" since he's unemployed.

The title might as well be "Dominic Deegan" now. Though last year that title wouldn't have worked either since it was dedicated to "developing" other characters.

28. - Top - End - #238

Quote Originally Posted by M84 View Post
    I think we can all agree that the whole "Oracle for Hire" thing is way out of date. He's not really an "Oracle" since he hasn't had any visions for a long time. Heck, he's not even for "Hire" since he's unemployed.

The title might as well be "Dominic Deegan" now. Though last year that title wouldn't have worked either since it was dedicated to "developing" other characters.
    Dominic Deegan: Psychic Warrior

Dominic Deegan: MIND CRUSH

Dominic Deegan: Luna's Sidekick

The Comic Formerly Starring Dominic Deegan

Dominic Deegan: You Could Be Watching Ponies Instead

Dominic Deegan: Does Not Actually Know The Future

I ask because future sight, supposedly his core power, stopped being a thing years ago.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Troll in the Playground

Ha, awesome. Dominic seriously spells the whole problem out for Luna and she simply doesn't get it for another minute. And what does she think when realization finally sinks in? "Hm, he's encountered a planar guardian and his hearing could be permanently damaged? That's going to be sooo annoying."
    I do so enjoy a good auto-slay.

By the way:
    It's true. Couples that have been together for awhile just start yelling at each other, even without extraplanar hearing problems.
    Taken from the newspost. That right here could have been turned into one of the better jokes of the past months, and you could make the strip Mookie actually uploaded 2 panels shorter without actually losing any content and cut away to some other characters commenting on their yelling.

But no.

Quote Originally Posted by Webox View Post
    Fangly is beginning to morph! Or maybe making a run for it in that last panel?
    I don't know, but I hope so, because Luna's faces seriously scare me.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2011-02-23 at 02:58 AM.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dominic Deegan: Luna's Sidekick
    That would be great.

So great.
    Avatar by Derjuin. It's awesome.