New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default I'm looking for a Samurai Class...

...specifically not the one in Complete Warrior.

What's the best Samurai redux someone's made for 3.5?

...or will I just get a "Refer to the Swordsage"?
    Last edited by TechnOkami; 2011-01-28 at 11:35 AM.
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: I'm looking for a Samurai Class...

I think the best idea is to play a martial class and Role play as a samurai by following a code ect, Paladin, Martial, Warblade, knight all work well
    Mojave, Mo' Problems.

My Post apocalyptic campaign setting for Legend: Shattered Lands

3. - Top - End - #3

Are you fammilar with frank and K's Tome seires? They created their own samurai fix/reduax thats exactly what your looking for. It's a whole lot better then wizards' samurai, to say the least. If you don't know where to find the Frank and K stuff PM me and I can send you the link to the pdf with all their content.
    Awesome evil Necro-Cleric Avatar created by Ceika

In D&D I am a..

Spoiler
    Show
    Level 3 Lawful Evil Half-Elf Cleric with the following ability scores...

Strength- 11
    Dexterity- 13
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 15
    Wisdom- 17
    Charisma- 16

To find out your D&D self take this quiz today!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Kinda depends what you want and mean by samurai. Really they were warrior types roughly akin to knights that used bows, a bit more elaborate armor, and a curved sword. For that there exists fighters or one of the many fighter fixes exist and are ready for you (my personal favorite is Realm of Chaos' fix here). There are other great fixes of the fighter concept as well that others can link you to.

If you want something were the fluff has some effect on what abilities he gets there was one huge Samurai class with multiple paths and options that was made here awhile back that I cannot seem to find. Hopefully another poster can.

Edit: Bhu's was the one I was describing.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2011-01-29 at 02:15 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

The aforementioned Tome Samurai can be found here. It's quite solidly tier two, and as such may appear to be overpowered when you're not used to seeing those types of abilities on a class with a martial bent, but it's appropriately balanced for said tier.

Otherwise I'd suggest delving around this forum with advanced search function.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Never can find my towel...

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    Forgot who did my avatar, sorry! >.<

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

...the tome samurai is amazing. I'm slightly saddened by a lack of fear effects... but only slightly. This will work beautifully, thank you all.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I was going to come pimp my fix, and I find you've done it for me. Much obliged!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I'm in the middle of reworking mine. It'll be reposted soon.
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TechnOkami View Post
    ...the tome samurai is amazing. I'm slightly saddened by a lack of fear effects... but only slightly. This will work beautifully, thank you all.
    Don't forget that the Hordebreaker feat (that samurai get at level 2) gives a fear effect when you get to BAB +11. Another thing: some people recommend that kiai! and iaijutsu grandmaster be fixed to always have a x3 or x4 multiplier - that makes katanas a better choice than heavy picks, and keeps people from building up to x7 or more.
    Last edited by Fail; 2011-02-07 at 03:40 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

ToB classes are the most efficient means. There is really very little difference between a samurai and a knight. Knights have better armor, samurai better weapons. Some Samurai would be very focused on improving their katana skills and kata (sword sage), Some focused on just being the best warrior possible (warblade), and some really followed bushido with their whole heart, and let the kami guide their hand (crusader). For some reason samurai and ninjas have this whole mystique about being soooo different from their european counterparts. A samurai is just a japanese fighter (or paladin, or ranger), and a ninja is just a japanese rogue (higher level ones may take levels in assassin or shadow dancer). The only real diffence for the player is fluff, and even that boils down to religion and culture, and neither rogue nor fighter have any abilities (or even fluff) that tie them to a specific culture.
    My homebrew
    Official spokesman of the totemist class for gestalt (and proud supporter of parenthetical asides (especially nested ones)). Author of a gestalt handbook
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Did you just put a gear shift on a lightsaber?
    Redneck laser swords only work in manual.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    I'm in the middle of reworking mine. It'll be reposted soon.
    Has the revision been completed?
    -\==/-
    I always ask a big question on the League thread right before bedtime so I have something to read while trying to wake up.
    Responses of any sort are wonderful.

Spoiler
    Show
    I like coming up with concepts for characters, and will do so often. But writing up crunch, especially for anything that isn't level 1, takes me a while, and after wasting lots of time writing unused characters on Mythweavers, I generally don't make a sheet unless a DM really likes the concept. Sorry.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

How was T.G. Oskar's not linked? It's pretty nice.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

What rough balance point do you want for them? You mention ToB so would roughly that power level be what you're after?

Really, though, OA samurai works (less feats than a fighter but more skill points and good Will saves). I'd echo knight (samurai had slightly worse armor and didn't use shields but instead used parrying swords; as for weapons it depends upon period) except that the tanking abilities don't fit.

Really warblade would be the best fit imho with emphasis on Iron Heart, Diamond Mind, and Tiger Claw. They even get Diplomacy
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    What rough balance point do you want for them? You mention ToB so would roughly that power level be what you're after?

Really, though, OA samurai works (less feats than a fighter but more skill points and good Will saves). I'd echo knight (samurai had slightly worse armor and didn't use shields but instead used parrying swords; as for weapons it depends upon period) except that the tanking abilities don't fit.

Really warblade would be the best fit imho with emphasis on Iron Heart, Diamond Mind, and Tiger Claw. They even get Diplomacy
    Thank you, but I'm not looking for a samurai anymore. The situation has changed.