New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Goron Hero (3.5 Prestige Class)

I am working on a campaign setting based on the Legend of Zelda games. I am not converting DnD to fit with Hyrule, I am altering Hyrule to fit with DnD, if that makes sense. I'm making some prestige classes that exemplify the fighting styles and racial traits of the LoZ races. This is the first one, the Goron Hero. Goron stats included so we know what kind of race will be taking this class.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Goron

Spoiler
    Show

Dargon, a goron fighter

Personality: Gorons are an easygoing and friendly people that enjoy games and competition. They think with their brawn rather than their brains, going through problems rather than around. The typical goron reaction to danger is to roll up into a ball and hide until it goes away. Gorons do have a serious side, however, and when theyy and their lands are threatened they will take up arms to protect themselves. Gorons are slow to act but when they get going they have the enthusiasm of a rock rolling down a hill.

Physical Description: Gorons are tall and fat, usually standing around 6-7 feet. Gorons can grow much larger than this however, with some gorons being as tall as 50 feet. Gorons are very heavy, usually weighing around 400 Ibs or more. Their backs are covered in rocky growths that protect them while they roll around. Gorons roll when they wish to move quickly. Gorons have wide lips and orange skin on broad, round faces. Gorons have tiny legs and very long arms. Older gorons wither to about the size of a human. Gorons are capable of reaching great age.

Relations: Gorons get along with most other races well. Gorons and Hylians sometimes live in the same cities and their cultures intertwine in many ways. Some gorons are very friendly with the Zoras, especially those around Death Mountain and Zora's domain in Hyrule. The gorons of Labrynna trade with the Subrosians of Holodrum whenever they encounter each other. Gorons have a very strong dislike for goblinoids and dragons.

Alignment: Most gorons are good. The majority of gorons tend towards chaos as well. Evil gorons are almost unheard of.

Goron Lands: Gorons make their homes in tall mountains, usually with heavy volcanism. Gorons can be found on Death Mountain in Hyrule, Mount Cucco in Labrynna, and Snowhead in Termina.

Goron Religion: Gorons are followers of Din, the goddess of fire, dancing, and power.

Language: Gorons speak goron in grumbling, slow voices. Most also speak Hylian.

Goron Names: Darunia, Gor Coron, Biggoron, Darmani, Darbus. Sometimes Gorons have Hylian names.

Adventurers: Gorons become adventurers to see the world and to live up to the heroes of their stories. Most gorons are fighters or barbarians, but clerics are also common. The rare goron rogue can be quite effective when they overcome their racial slowness. Goron arcane casters are extremely rare.

Goron
    • +2 Strength, +2 con, -2 int, -2 dex
    • Humanoid
    • Base speed 20 ft
    • Low Light Vision
    • Heat acclimated: Gorons don't mind extreme heat, and recieve a +2 racial bonus to resist effects from high temperatures. However, they take a -2 penalty on checks to resist effects from cold temperatures.
    • +2 racial bonus on Craft checks that are related to stone or metal.
    • +2 to grapple checks
    • Goron carrying capacity is as if they were quadrupedal.
    • Stability: A goron gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
    • Armored Back: Attackers never recieve the +2 bonus to attack rolls while flanking a goron. Gorons can still count as being flanked.
    • Automatic Languages: Goron, Hylian. Bonus Languages: Subrosian, Goblin, Draconic.
    • Favored Class: Fighter

Goron Hero

Spoiler
    Show

Dargon hates miniblins

Goron Heroes are the leaders and protectors of the gorons. When trouble is afoot on the mountain passes, it is the Goron Hero that climbs up to deal with it. They are powerful combatants that can dominate a section of the battlefield, knocking their foes around and smashing them to pieces while protecting their friends behind them. Goron Heros exemplify everything that is good in goron society and all gorons look up to them.

Goron heros can come from any background, but most were warriors of some kind.

Prerequisites
    Race: Goron
    Base Attack Bonus: +4
    Skills: Climb 8 ranks, Jump 8 ranks, Knowledge (History) 4 ranks
    Feats:Power Attack, Goron Toughness, Imrpoved Bull Rush
    Special: Must be considered a hero by the goron people. A hero is a great warrior who protects the weak and fights powerful evils. Hero is not a title gorons give lightly.

Goron Hero
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |Volcano Stance 1/day, AC Bonus, Goron Weapons

2nd|
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |Crush

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |Volcano Stance 2/day, Improved Volcano Stance

4th|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |Awesome Blow

5th|
    +5
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |Volcano Stance 3/day, Greater Volcano Stance, Powerful Build[/table]
    Hit Die: d10
    Class Skills (3+int modifier per level): Craft (int), Search (Int), Listen (Wis), Spot (Wis), Climb (Str), Jump (Str), Sense Motive (Wis), Knowledge (History) (Int), Knowledge (Dungeoneering) (Int)

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A goron hero is proficient with simple and martial weapons, and with heavy and light shields. They do not gain proficiency with any kind of armor.

Goron Weapons: Several Goron Hero abilities are based on the use of Goron weapons. Goron weapons are: Unarmed Strikes, Gauntlets, Spiked Gauntlets, Light Hammers, Short Swords, Light Picks, Longswords, Warhammers, Heavy Picks, Greatswords, Greathammers. Similar weapons are goron weapons subject to DM approval.

AC Bonus: While unarmored the Goron Hero gains a bonus to his armor class equal to his constitution bonus. These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the hero is flat-footed. He loses these bonuses when he is immobilized or helpless, when he wears any armor, or when he carries a medium or heavy load.

Volcano Stance: Once per day a Goron Hero may enter a Volcano Stance. While in Volcano Stance the Goron Hero can make an additional number of attacks of opportunity equal to his constitution bonus. When in a Volcano Stance and wielding a goron weapon, the Goron Hero gains a 10 foot reach. While in Volcano Stance a Goron Hero cannot move except to make 5 foot steps. At 3rd level and 5th level the Goron Hero gains an additional use of this ability per day. Volcano Stance lasts a number of round sequal to 3 + Goron Hero's Con Modifier.

Crush: At second level the Goron Hero gains the ability to execute a crushing blow that knocks his opponents to the ground. A Goron Hero that hits with a melee attack with a goron weapon can attempt to trip the opponent as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the Goron Hero.

Improved Volcano Stance: At 3rd level enemies treat the Goron Hero's threatened area while in Volcano Stance as difficult terrain. When an enemy tries to use the tumble skill to tumble through a square the Goron Hero threatens the DC increases by the Goron Hero's Goron Hero level.

Awesome Blow: At 4th level the Goron Hero gains Awesome Blow as a bonus feat even if he doesn't meet the prerequisites.

Greater Volcano Stance: At 5th level enemies provoke attacks of opportunity from the Goron Hero when they hit any of his allies with a melee attack and they are in the Goron Hero's threatened area.

Powerful Build: At 5th level the Goron Hero has finally built up enough mass to weild the largest of goron weaponry. He gains the powerful build ability. Whenever the Goron Hero is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the Goron Hero is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. The Goron Hero is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. The Goron Hero can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.

Goron Toughness [Goron, Fighter]
    Your hide is as tough as stone and your endurance knows no bounds.
    Prerequisites: Goron, Toughness 15
    Benefits: You gain 2 hit points per HD.
    Normal: You do not gain 2 hit points per HD.
    Special: This feat replaces Toughness and Improved Toughness for Gorons.

So I am not very experienced with classes, that is why I need help. I am happy with the stats for the goron race, they are on par with the other races for the setting.

The idea of this class is a variant of the dwarven defender, but one that doesn't completely suck. I want the Goron Hero to rule his section of the battlefield and protect his friends. I mixed in a couple of abilities that belonged to the knight base class because they have some decent control. Right now I am pretty unhappy with the pacing of Volcano Stance, I'm just not sure where in the advancement each ability should be, or whether these abilities are too strong/weak.

Help me out please! I want this class to be an attractive option for goron players. I will be making at least one more goron class so that players don't feel like if they want a PRC they 'have to' go goron hero. There will also be several other feats for gorons, as well as a few for other races that will hopefully be good choices.

Looking forward to input. Cheers.
    Last edited by starwoof; 2011-02-20 at 09:52 PM.
    I used to do avatars on request, feel free to use them.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Goron Hero (3.5 Prestige Class)

Although I see why a Goron Hero would be a Goron only race even Link could be considered a hero of the Goron peoples, do you think that other races of Hyrule that come to the Gorons aid could be trained in the ways of the Goron hero or not?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

What type of AC bonus is the con to AC?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredaintdead View Post
    *high fives*
    Someone get this man a medal, because he either reads my posts or my mind.

Avvy by azuyomi244
    A Warforged Warlock who thinks he's a gnome in a power-suit?

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Ellardin View Post
    Although I see why a Goron Hero would be a Goron only race even Link could be considered a hero of the Goron peoples, do you think that other races of Hyrule that come to the Gorons aid could be trained in the ways of the Goron hero or not?
    I'm actually working on a feat called Sworn Brother that will allow other races to take this class for exactly that reason. I originally had it posted here but I wasn't happy with it so I took it down, heh.

Quote Originally Posted by togapika View Post
    What type of AC bonus is the con to AC?
    It works just like the monk ability, except for the GH can use shields. I guess I should add that in.

EDIT: I fixed the formatting of the goron racials. I forgot to close the list tag!
    Last edited by starwoof; 2011-02-20 at 07:08 PM.
    I used to do avatars on request, feel free to use them.