New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Break the Iron Circle [IC]

Break the Iron Circle.

The sun is high overhead when you emerge from the northern arm of the Harken Forest. Spending last night at a camp site along the road in the woods, it's been a little over a day since the messenger reached you about the troubles in Harkenwold and set out through the forest to the secluded wold. Though it's midday, the weather is pleasant, the last frost of winter having given way to springs gentle breezes weeks ago.

From what the messenger said Albridge is on the north side of the White River, less than a day's walk from the forests edge. The land before you is mostly open, with slight rolling hills mixed with meadows and light woods. You can see a few of small brooks that spread out and the road travels over one with a small footbridge.

Before you get more than a mile or two into the valley, the true heart of Harkenwold, you can see a pillar of smoke climbing into the clear blue sky. The smoke is coming from something hidden by a bend in the road and a few hills about a mile away, though there appears to be a dirt track that leads away from the main road and towards the smoke.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Break the Iron Circle [IC]

Torin, Dragonborn Cavalier

Protect the weak, liberate the oppressed, and defend just order.

Since he met that messenger yesterday, Torin has replayed that phrase in his mind a hundred times. It's a belief that he swore to uphold with his life. It has guided his every action for the last three years since he reached adulthood and submitted himself to Bahamut's command. It's what he had to recite during the initiation trials. The trials that almost killed him.

He was so immersed in his memories that he almost ran into Haschel. Startled, he stops and looks around before his eyes fall on the pillar of smoke. He steps forward, gazing at the smoke, feeling a mixture of anger, sorrow and conviction. Protect the weak, liberate the oppressed, and defend just order.

He grips the hilt of his sword tightly, with a low growl leaving his mouth.
    Last edited by Emongnome777; 2011-02-22 at 08:24 AM.
    Emongnome

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Adolamin was wrapped up in his own thoughts until he noticed that Torin had stopped. Following Torin's gaze, he looks at the large plume of smoke billowing in the distance. "We should have a look. It might be important." He doesn't really want to say what he actually thinks; it might be a house, a farm, a barn, somewhere with people. People no longer among the living. Adolamin clutches the holy symbol at his neck. He hopes his suspicions will be proven wrong.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Aelar

It's been a short while for Aelar now being in the company of other adventurers. It seems not too long ago he was sitting under his favorite tree listening to the sage words of his uncle. Things are unfamiliar to him this far from home though he is trying to adjust. They are so different than the people of my village and I've never met a dragonborn before let alone a half-orc he thinks. Still... there is courage and bravery here. I can feel it."

It is with these thoughts he is lost in that he too now senses trouble off in the distance. He sits up and while gathering his supplies says to Torin "I sense it too."

And them a moment later nods at Adolamin. "Yes. We should be sure. Let us break camp and see if we may be of assistance."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Coveden took a few restless paces. He ran his hands together, rubbed his wrists. This was the road he’d taken when he left the valley, much as he’d left it. Fitting that he would return the same way. He looked at the smoke for a while, gauging the size of the fire, whether or not it was growing or burning low. He tried to remember if he’d ever met anyone who lived out on the outskirts of the valley. He must have, surely, in all his years here. But the names did not come to mind. Besides, it had been nearly ten years. Even if I knew their names, who among them would remember me? he reassured himself.

There was a meaningful silence. Coveden smoothed down his sleeves, brow furrowing. Eventually, the Pelorite spoke, then the elf. The dragonborn was growling.

Coveden turned to the priest. “Brother Adolamin. And you, Sir Torin,” he nodded to the paladin. “Is it the gods’ will that we proceed? I shouldn’t like to keep them waiting if it were. By all means, lead on.” He smiled.

6. - Top - End - #6

Hurrying along the dirt track you quickly round the bend and can see the source of the black smoke. A short ways further down the track some brigands stand outside a farmhouse, a pair of wolves among them. The brigands all wear black cloaks with a gray ring device on the back and have pitch-soaked torches, laughing and taunting at whoever is locked inside the house. They've already burned a small out-building, the source of the smoke column.

The brigands don't appear to have noticed you all, as they're intent on getting ready to burn the farmhouse. Crossbows hang at their sides along with some kind of sword scabbard.
    Spoiler
    Show

You all can either try and talk to them, sneak up and around them, attack them, etc. Up to you.

The party is off the map to the left. The brigands and wolves are within the wall, mostly in the middle around the cart. I'll update positions once the party moves onto the map.

Some features of the map:

Farmhouse: The windows are shuttered and the door is barred.

Wall: The fieldstone wall stands 4ft high and provides cover against attacks that cross it. It costs 2 squares of movement to cross the wall.

Garden: This small vegetable patch and herb garden counts as difficult terrain.

Embankment: This steep, dirt road embankment is difficult terrain.

Tree: The square occupied by the tree's trunk is impassable but provides cover. Climbing the tree requires an Easy Athletics check and a creature in the tree gains concealment.
    Last edited by Chambers; 2011-02-21 at 07:37 PM.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Adolamin takes in the sorry sight in front of him, before speaking in a low voice. "I propose we attack swiftly, those...ruffians seem intent to do more harm. We should stop them before they have the chance." He stops to consider further. "And maybe try to take one alive, if we can." He doesn't expect them too, and part of him doesn't want them to; it would be the best option for more information though.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

8. - Top - End - #8

GnomeWizardGuy

Torin nods to Adolamin and Coveden. "These thugs need to be dealt with and quickly. They mock those that suffer at their hands. For Bahamut!" With that, he steps out and starts walking toward the brigands.
    Emongnome

9. - Top - End - #9

ElfRangerGuy

Aelar

In silence Aelar follows Torin and the rest of the group towards the brigands. As he approaches he makes ready his arrows for the fight. Coming closer he can hear the cries from those inside the farmhouse. He tenses his grip on his bow and prepares his attack while keeping a watchful eye for any surprises.

OOC Roll:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception check as they approach to avoid hidden dangers (hear brigands hiding behind the wall or in the tree, etc): (1d20+6)[17]

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Coveden, Eladrin Hexblade

Coveden glances to one side, smirking faintly at a patch of shoots that would soon be wildflowers, and takes in a breath of of the early spring air. Rather spoiled by the burning thatch. But they couldn't all be nice days.

He shakes out his sleeve, allowing a familiar weight to drop into his palm, end first. Then he nods to himself, and falls into step close behind the paladin-- no safer place to be.

11. - Top - End - #11

As Torin strides forwards one of the brigands sees the movement out of the corner of his eye and turns around. "Hey!" He shouts, and the other men turn towards you as well. The wolves growl as the brigands closest to the farmhouse draw their scimitars. One of them scowls and points his sword at you all. "Move on!" He snarls. "This is Iron Circle business!"

You hear a woman's voice shout with anger from inside the farmhouse. "Business?! It looks like robbery and murder to me!"

The brigands by the cart smile and toss their torches high up onto the thatch roof of the farmhouse. Quickly drawing their crossbows, they take aim at you all but don't fire. "Just move along now. This don't concern you."

Spoiler
    Show

B1 & B2 have thrown their torches on the roof and are wielding crossbows. B3 & B4 are each wielding a scimitar and burning torch.

The brigands are dressed like the man in the picture on the top of the page.

To: Torin
    Co: Covenden
    Ae: Aelar
    Ad: Adolamin
    Ha: Haschel

Some features of the map:

Farmhouse: The windows are shuttered and the door is barred.

Wall: The fieldstone wall stands 4ft high and provides cover against attacks that cross it. It costs 2 squares of movement to cross the wall.

Garden: This small vegetable patch and herb garden counts as difficult terrain.

Embankment: This steep, dirt road embankment is difficult terrain.

Tree: The square occupied by the tree's trunk is impassable but provides cover. Climbing the tree requires an Easy Athletics check and a creature in the tree gains concealment.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Haschel

Haschel laughed out loud. "Sorry lot you bunch are. I bet the dogs are higher up the chain of command than all of you." He grabbed the hand grip of the axe resting on his back and glared at the speaker of the bandits. "Only chance! Shove off, or I'll KILL every last one of you!"

OCC rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Trying to intimidate the guy into running away. (1d20+6)[8]
    Failing that? Initiative:(1d20+5)[25]

13. - Top - End - #13

One of the brigands laughs at Haschel and trains his crossbow on him, the other points his towards Torin. "You've had your chance, you can die with her!" He shouts as he releases the bolt. The other brigand follows suit, but both of the bolts are deflected by each heroes armor. The brigand curses and turns to his torch wielding companions. "Burn it down and kill these fools!"

The swordsman toss their torches high up onto the roof and quickly turn to face you all, their scimitars held ready in their hands. The wolves circle in place, growling and baring their teeth at you. From inside the house you can hear the woman shout "No! Please, help us!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Use the same map, none of them moved position. It's the PC's turn, everyone go ahead and post your actions. Don't worry about who goes first, I'll resolve everything and post an end of round summary.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Coveden, Eladrin Hexblade

As the others charged into the fray, Coveden let them brush by. The archer, Aelar, let fly with his arrows, as Coveden walked slowly up the embankment. As he reached the top, he extended his arm, holding the rod of deadly casting in his hand, and with a thunderous inrush of air, he lets loose with a streaking bolt of force at one of the crossbowmen.

Nodding to himself, he draws a line across the empty air free hand. Then, with a flourish, he draws forth a black hilt in a gesture which creates a sudden silence like the crack of a whip. There is only the merest suggestion of a blade, though as the sword moves, the world behind it is distorted, as if seen through a warped glass.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

"Best approach..." Adolamin mumbles to himself, he decides to cut around the embankment, saving himself the trouble of climbing up it in his bulky armour. Cutting around the left side, he comes to a stop between a small vegetable garden and a smaller building - some short of storage room, or shack perhaps.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not a terribly interesting round. Just a double move up the left side of the map, cutting around the difficult terrain and ending three squares from the left, between the garden and the storage room/shack thing. Damn my lack of ranged options!
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2011-02-23 at 07:14 AM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

16. - Top - End - #16

GnomeWizardGuy

Torin moves confidently toward the group of brigands, trying to decide whether to attack the brigands or move past them to rescue the people trapped in the farmhouse. He chooses to goad the brigands into fighting him and allowing his companions to save the woman inside the farmhouse.

"Fight me, you cowards! Your dogs have more honor than you!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Move as far as I can up the path and into the walled area. Movement rate of 5 and taking 2 move action, I think that puts me just inside the wall at the door, which is all I can do this round.

EDIT: Oh, and activate my defender aura (minor action).
    Last edited by Emongnome777; 2011-02-23 at 12:21 PM.
    Emongnome

17. - Top - End - #17

ElfRangerGuy

Aelar

Leaping into action Aelar swiftly moves up the embankment towards the front gate. "Damn you" he says as another of the Brigands tosses a torch onto the farmhouse. With his readied arrow he takes aim at him and fires.

OOC Rolls
    Spoiler
    Show
    minor: Assume the Aspect of the Cunning Fox stance
    * Aelar takes half damage from attacks made against him
    * whenever Aelar hits or misses with a melee or ranged attack - can shift up to 2 squares as free action

move: move 7 up the embankment (difficult terrain) and towards the front gate

standard: clever shot (at-will) against B3
    hit: (1d20+10)[26] vs. AC
    dam: (1d10+6)[15]
    If target hit then chosen effect is: target falls prone

Free: shift up to 2 squares - I'd like Aelar to end near the wall/gate but on the outside of it.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Haschel

Bellowing a earspliting battle cry, Haschel drew his axe and sprinted up the embankment. Once at the top, he drew a bead on a single brigand and charged him with axe held high.

19. - Top - End - #19

Round 2

Coveden's blast goes wide and leaves a scorch mark against the side of the farmhouse, while Aelor's arrow plunges deep into the brigands side. He gasps in pain and drops to the ground, feebly raising his arm in protest as Haschel leaps over the low stone wall and brings his axe down into the brigands chest. The body twitches for a moment before it goes limp. The other swordsman yells out an incoherent rage and dashes towards the half-orc, bring his scimitar down upon him with such force that Haschel is pushed back. Though he stumbles, he keeps his feet, but the distraction is enough to let the brigand advance again.

The crossbowmen in the back ignore those beyond the courtyard and both aim at Torin. One bolt glances harmlessly off his shield while the other penetrates beneath his arm, catching in his armor's weak spot. The wolves spring forward to the wounded half-orcs flanks, their teeth ripping into his exposed skin, before darting away to face Torin, their jaws dripping with blood and as they snarl and growl at him.

With all four torches on the roof, the thatch is quickly starting to catch fire. The sky above the house fills with a billow of black smoke and the wind catches it, sending it down across the courtyard for a moment as it burns your nose before sweeping up again.

Spoiler
    Show

Haschel was pushed by the Brigand after his attack and the Brigand shifted into the square Haschel occupied. The two wolves moved and flanked Haschel, which granted them combat advantage, and their bite attacks left the half-orc prone. Haschel took 22 damage.

The wolves then shifted 4 squares after the attack and now threaten Torin. Torin took 2 damage from the crossbow bolt.

B3 is dead and the square he's in is now difficult terrain.

Players turn.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Haschel

"GAH! *cough* Nice one. I meant the dogs, not you. Is your sword a feather? Because it tickled! Ha!” Picking himself back up, he tried to ignore the painful bites and the oddly not painful sword wound to focus on the brigand in front of him.
    Last edited by Codemus; 2011-02-25 at 12:28 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Swearing in elven ("Sehanine rain a thousand silver arrows down on your slippery hides!"), Coveden is only mildly fazed by the miss. He retains his composure, not missing a step as he approaches the stone fence. He begins to whisper under his breath, and soon a ring of glowing sigils takes shape in the air around his starshadow blade. A dim shadow seems to grow in the air behind him, just before it rushes forward and envelops him. The grass shakes under his feet. He disappears.

--then reappears in a flash of chill bluish light, his starshadow blade sweeping down at the Circle swordsman's back.

22. - Top - End - #22

GnomeWizardGuy

As the enemies surround Haschel, Torin quickly mutters a prayer to Bahamut. At that moment, a golden glow surrounds his ally, deflecting the attack from the brigand at the last moment. Torin grimaces as he absorbs the wounding himself.

Growling at the wolves, Torin moves around to position himself in the middle of the melee, demanding the attention of every enemy around him. He then lashes out at one of the wolves with his sword. "Victory will be ours!", he cries, encouraging Coveden. He follows up with a quick blast of lightning from his mouth toward both the wolves.
    Emongnome

23. - Top - End - #23

ElfRangerGuy

Aelar - Elf Hunter

Aelar surveys the battle and draws strength from the courage of his comrades. And then a flash of light as lightning streams from Torin's mouth at the hungry wolves gives Aelar pause. What a wondrous power he has.

Snapping back to action Aelar releases two arrows near simultaneously at Torin's prey. "Die you mongrels!" he screams as his longbow comes to life.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Encouraged by his allies efforts, Adolamin dashes forward, vaulting over the small wall without breaking his stride, and down his sword on the nearest wolf with an almighty roaring yell of "Sword of Glory!" As he finished the slash he channelled some of the excess energy into a small gesture to Torin, empowering him somewhat.
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2011-02-25 at 10:41 AM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC