New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Base Class Challenge IV Voting Thread

Welcome to the voting thread for Base Class Challenge IV, Tipping the Scale. Voting will consist of each voter giving a first, second, and third place vote for three separate base classes. A first place vote is worth three points, a second place vote is worth two points, and a third place vote is worth one point. The class that ends up with the most points wins the challenge contest. Voting starts now and will continue until March 5th.

Hopefully, there will be more complete entries next time, but for now, we have five solid base classes to review and vote for. Explanations for your votes are encouraged, though not required. If you thought a class fit well into the theme while staying unique to itself, say so, please.

{table=head]Base Class|Author|1st|2nd|3rd|Total Points
    The Mechanus Knights|TheGeckoKing|0|0|0|0
    Jade Weaveshaper|unosarta|1|1|1|6
    Channeler|TSED|0|1|2|4
    Kismet|Derjuin|0|2|1|5
    The Gambler|PairO'Dice Lost|3|0|0|9[/table]

The winner of this challenge was the gambler, followed by the jade weaveshaper and the kismet. Kudos to all of you who participated.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2011-03-06 at 01:04 AM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Base Class Challenge IV Voting Thread

First Place: Gambler

Second Place: Jade Weaveshaper

Third Place: Channeler

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

First: Jade Weaveshaper

Second: Kismet

Third: Channeler

4. - Top - End - #4

Votes have been tallied.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

First: Gambler.

Second: Kismet.

Third: Jade Weaveshaper.
    "Once upon a time, a story was never finished..."

6. - Top - End - #6

Votes tallied. There's also a new column in the table.
    Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Thoughts on classes:
    • The Mechanus Knights - This feels more like a prestige class rather than a base class. I think it is too narrow to really support a full base class. Additionally, I'm not sure what the balance focus is. I understand that it is extremely lawful, but the extremeness of it is counter-intuitive. I feel like it isn't trying to maintain or enforce balance, but rather it's personal world view, which is quite the extreme, really.
    • Jade Weaveshaper - an interesting take on spellcasting, which I like. I feel that the fluff is trying a little too hard to beat the word "balance" into my head. If is a little strange that a class focused on natural, elemental/seasonal balance has a predetermined set of abilities that they gain in the order of Auton, Summer, Winter, Spring. It would make more sense if they either got to choose the abilities, the abilities came in a season order, or you gained all four at the same time, and they all were empowered at the following levels. Less narrow thant he Knights, but I could still see this easily as a PrC.
    • Channeler - The flavor is a bit confusing, what happened to the spark mentioned in the opening paragraph? The class could use polishing, but it has some interesting ideas, and I find it intriguing. Mechanically a very interesting way of swinging back and forth, but being balanced, and eventually controlling that balance.
    • Kismet - The flavor is decent, if a little weak. The binding concept of luck manipulation works, it is simply a bit bland and generalized. its a fun class, I I enjoyed the humor injected into it. Some of the mechanics feel exceptionally strong, while others are rather unimpressive, so I'm really not sure where it stands without testing...but I like it.
    • The Gambler - The flavor is well woven through the entire class. There is a lot of manipulation and dice-changing, and it took a little while to read through, but its good. And while it could use some serious balancing (I think the High Stakes card tricks are much better than their dice counterparts), it offers a surprising amount of variety for the concept of gambling. And it could easily be expanded, I suspect.

1st vote - The Gambler
    2nd vote - Channeler
    3rd vote - Kismet

8. - Top - End - #8

This marks the end of the voting, folks.

In first place: The gambler!

Coming in second: The jade weaveshaper!

In third place: The kismet!

A new thread will be up soon and will be linked to in the chat thread. Nice job, everyone.
    Homebrew