New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Rich Burlew's Smilies

To add a bit to some things others mentioned earlier, more about the 15 smilies in general really:

Not used as post icons:

From happy to mad:

Rainbow order:

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    We're on a forum
    for a stick figure comic
    about Dungeons and Dragons.

We're all three levels deep in dorkiness right now.
    WE NEED TO GO DEEPER.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Devils_Advocate View Post
    To add a bit to some things others mentioned earlier, more about the 15 smilies in general really:

Not used as post icons:

From happy to mad:

Rainbow order:

WE NEED TO GO DEEPER.
    I mean, 3rd level? That's where most people START their 3.5 games, at the lowest! We need to reach at least Dorkiness 11 before the Dorkiness class features start to get interesting

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

Updated! As of 901:

106 (+1)
    Last edited by martianmister; 2013-07-17 at 02:21 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

Updated! As of 902:

062 (+1)
    001[/QUOTE]
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

Updated! As of 904:

051 (+1)
    Last edited by martianmister; 2013-07-24 at 02:26 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

Updated! As of 905:

063 (+1)
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

Updated! As of 906:

064 (+1)
    Last edited by martianmister; 2013-07-29 at 08:52 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

Updated! As of 908:

065 (+1)
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

Updated! As of 909:

066 (+1)
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #160
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    Wait a second - everyone has been saying the comic has been getting more anxious. But look at the huge concentration of winking smilies towards the end. Compare that to previous... Rich has been winking at us a lot lately! What does this mean?!?
    It means that we're all in a television show/movie/graphic novel and the Giant is the only one who knows this. Thus, when he uses the winking smilies, it really means that he's giving Aside Glances.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Troll in the Playground

That shocked-looking smiley is still in first place, I see.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

Updated! As of 910:

108 (+1)
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

deleted for reasons

Spoiler: Strip 1146
    Show
    Assistance Needed
    Durkon, Minrah, Odin, Thor

Durkon: An' yer sure tha me exile's officially revoked?
    (D): And you're sure that my exile is officially revoked?
    Minrah: I mean, that's what your friends said. They met Rubyrock at the Godsmoot and she cleared it.
    Durkon: Then I get ta go home. After all this be done, at least.
    (D): Then I get to go home. After all this be done, at least.
    Minrah: Yeah. And assuming you defeat the other vampires and the world doesn't go kablooey.
    Durkon: Och, aye. Thar's tha. Lord Thor, I dinnae suppose ye could just pop down thar an' smash 'em wit yer holy hammer?
    (D): Oh, yes. There is that. Lord Thor, I don't suppose you could just pop down there and smash them with your holy hammer?
    Thor: No, sorry.
    Durkon: What aboot zappin' 'em wit divine thunder?
    (D): What about zapping them with divine thunder?
    Thor: No.
    Durkon: OK, but wha if'n--
    (D): OK, but what if--
    Thor: Nope.
    Durkon: Even if--?
    Thor: Nuh uh.
    Durkon: Wha if'n ye--
    (D): What if you--
    Thor: Look, whatever solution you think up that involves me fixing it for you--I guarantee you there's a bunch of dumb god laws tying my hands, OK?
    Odin: We wrote them that way on purpose! There are fewer Good gods than Not-Good gods, you know. If everyone could play in the sandbox all the time, there wouldn't be a lot of castles left unkicked!
    Durkon: Is thar na anythin' ye can do ta help us?
    (D): Is there nothing you can do to help us?
    Thor: Gosh, I could give you amazing magical spells on demand every single morning. Do you think that might help?
    Durkon: Och, I'm sorry, me lord. Yer right. I just worry tha I willnae ev'n get tha chance ta talk ta Redcloak if'n we cannae defeat Hel's minions.
    (D): Oh, I'm sorry, my lord. You're right. I just worry that I won't even get the chance to talk to Redcloak if we can't defeat Hel's minions.
    Thor: Look, Durkon, I'll... I'll see what I can do. But ultimately, once you're back down there, it's going to be your fight, not mine. And you'll do great. As far as concrete physical aid...well, there is one thing, now that I think of it. A little secret your people forgot a few generations back...
    Minrah: Ummm...why are you whispering? There's no one here to overhear you.
    Thor: So it'll be dramatic later, duh. Didn't get to spent much time with the kid with the puppet, did you?
    Durkon: Right?? Tha's wha I said!
    (D): Right?? That's what I said!

Spoiler: Strip 1147
    Show
    Headed Back
    Deva, Durkon, Minrah, Odin, Slaad, Thor

Deva: Durkon Thundershield? I have an incoming resurrection for Durkon Thundershield here?
    Thor: Ah, perfect timing!
    Odin: Time to go put your meat suit back on!
    Durkon: Lord Thor, I dinnae know wha ta say. I haf so many more things I wanna ask ye...
    (D): Lord Thor, I don't know what to say. I have so many more things I want to ask you...
    Thor: Yeah, I get that. But you know what you need to know, and that'll be enough. None of this works if you miss your ticket out of here.
    Thor: <whispering> Oh, and, uh, Durkon? One thing: Don't mention the stuff you learned to the deva. We have to wipe all the outsiders' memories every time we remake the world because they go a bit nuts if we don't.
    Minrah: OK, so, I guess I'm heading down to Valhalla.
    Durkon: Aye, guess so.
    (D): Right, I guess so.
    Minrah: I thought there'd be more time before...well.
    Durkon: Well, take care o' yerself in paradise, Minrah Shaleshoe. Thanks agin fer helpin' me friends. If'n ye ev'r find yerself drinkin' wit a dwarf named Tenrin, tell 'im 'is wife an' kid love 'im.
    (D): Well, take care of yourself in paradise, Minrah Shaleshoe. Thanks again for helping my friends. If you ever found yourself drinking with a dwarf named Tenrin, tell him that his wife and kid loves him.
    Minrah: Will do. When you get back to the temple, tell Tinna that my cousin has been in love with her for, like, three years. I promised I'd take that to my grave, which I guess I did. Life's too short, though. They should just hook up or not already.
    Deva: Ah, Mr. Thundershield?
    Durkon: Aye, tha's me.
    (D): Right, that's me.
    Deva: Excellent. Before we go, though, I would be remiss if I didn't voice my concerns over the religious affiliation of the cleric casting the spell.
    Durkon: Och, lemme guess: A priestess of Loki, aye?
    (D): Oh, let me guess: A priestess of Loki, right?
    Deva: Yes! We're worried she may have some nefarious intentions for you.
    Durkon: Aye, almost certainly, but I'm pretty sure tha's tha mother o' me child, so...I still gotta go.
    (D): Right, almost certainly, but I'm pretty sure that's the mother of my child, so...I still gotta go.
    Deva: Oh! I totally understand. I had a similar situation once after spending a drunk weekend down in Limbo.
    <flashback>
    Deva: Do I...push?
    Slaad: No, the tadpole must learn to chew its own way out.
    <end flashback>
    Deva: Of course, now that little tadpole has spawn of his own.
    Durkon: Och, they grow up so fast.
    (D): Oh, they grow up so fast.
    Deva: No kidding. He implanted the nurse fourteen minutes after he was born.

Spoiler: Strip 1148
    Show
    The Rainbow Rejection
    Deva, Durkon, Minrah, Thor

Deva: Does it call or write? I had to get my torso regenerated for it!
    Durkon: Did it ferget yer birthday, too?
    (D): Did it forget your birthday, too?
    Deva: Technically, I don't have a birthday, but this only happened three months ago. Anyway, sorry there's no limo. Budget cuts. We'll go down the old-fashioned way.
    Durkon: Fine by me.
    Thor: When you get the Dark One's cleric to agree, just cast Commune and I'll tell you what to do.
    Durkon: Och, ye nev'r answer those!
    (D): Oh, you never answer those!
    Thor: Yeah, but I'll set a special ring tone for this.
    <cutaway>
    Minrah: No. I'm not done yet. I refuse to be done yet! Durkon, wait!
    <cutback>
    Minrah: Wait, I want to go back!
    Durkon: Huh?
    Minrah: When you get back down there, raise me from the dead. Bring me back!
    Durkon: I thought ye wanted ta go inta Valhalla. When we got 'ere, ye thought I was nuts fer wantin' ta go back.
    (D): I thought you wanted to go into Valhalla. When we got here, you thought I was nuts for wanting to go back.
    Minrah: That was before all the cosmic stuff! What is even the point of being a cleric if divine revelations can't change your mind?? Look, if that goblin you need to convince is really threatening not just our world but the Outer Planes, too--then Valhalla itself is in danger! I can't sit around getting drunk, I need to help! But it's more than that. I'm not done being alive. I still have stuff I wanted to do. I didn't get to have kids. Or adopt kids. Or decide if I even want kids. I left a lot of kid-based options on the table! I know that if I go back, I risk getting tortured in Hel forever next time I die...but maybe it's worth it. Maybe wondering what could've been would be it's own form of torture. Whatever, I don't need to explain. Just do it! You owe me that much!
    Durkon: Aye, OK! OK! I just wanted ta make sure ye were sure.
    (D): Right, OK! OK! I just wanted to make sure that you're sure about it.
    Minrah: Good.
    Deva: If we're all done here, we do need to get moving before the spell is completed.
    Minrah: Yeah, go ahead, I'm done. I mean, with the conversation.
    Deva: Splendid.
    Durkon: It might take a bit. I dinnae know wha tha diamond supply situation'll be like after they bring me back.
    (D): It might take a bit. I don't know what the diamond supply situation will be like after they bring me back.
    Minrah: That's OK. Just don't forget, or I'll haunt you.
    Durkon: Aye. I'll do me best, Lord Thor. Ev'ry day until I see ye again.
    (D): Right. I'll do my best, Lord Thor. Every day until I see you again.
    <sfx> SPLONF!
    Minrah: So, um...
    Thor: Yes, we can grab a pint inside while you wait.
    Minrah: You're the best god.

Spoiler: Strip 1149
    Show
    Enough Diamonds Already
    Durkon, Hilgya

Hilgya: Resurrection.
    <sfx> POOF!
    <sfx> WHUNK!
    Hilgya: Dur--
    Durkon: Wait! B'fore ye say anythin'! I know I mistreat'd ye, Hilgya. I sent ye away after ye'd open'd up ta me, an' I know how much tha must've hurt. I got na excuses. I was wrong. Ye were alone an' in pain, an' lookin' fer a connection, an' instead o' tha, I judged ye. I do tha a lot. I had an opportunity ta reach out an' help ye outta tha darkness, an' I failed ta see it. I wish I could say tha I'd had some specific change o' heart aboot it--some dramatic event tha showed me it was wrong. But tha truth is, all I needed was ta watch it again, witout bein' in tha moment. I shoulda found a way ta help, an' I dinnae. My Ma taught me better'n tha. An' then, at me lowest point, thar ye were. Ye, an' tha beautiful li'l boy. An' I knew ev'rythin' was gonna be OK. B'cause tha's me son, aye? Tell me e' ain't. Me boy. A perfect li'l angel. Och, better, ev'n. Turns out some angels're a bit off. I dinnae know wha's goin' on wit yer husband. I know thar're prob'bly legal things tha need ta be worked out. But I unnerstand yer na happy wit 'im, an' I were wrong ta na respect yer desire ta leave. 'specially considerin' tha alternatives ye were tryin'. Most o' all, I know tha I need ta be thar fer me boy. Na ev'ryone gets more'n one parent. Na ev'ryone ev'n gets one! If'n I can make it so 'e's one of those tha does, I need ta try. An' I can be thar fer ye, too, Hilgya. I can help ye work thru yer demons, wha'ev'r they be. I know yer a good person an' ye can be happy. So I wanna ask ye, if'n we can get tha details sorted--fer tha sake o' our son--Hilgya Firehelm--will ye marry me?
    (D): Wait! Before you say anything! I know I mistreated you, Hilgya. I sent you away after you open up to me, and I know how much that must have hurt you. I've got no excuses. I was wrong. You were alone and in pain, and looking for a connection, and instead of that, I judged you. I do that a lot. I had an opportunity to reach out and help you out of that darkness, and I failed to see it. I wish I could say that I had some specific change of heart about it--some dramatic event that showed me it was wrong. But the truth is, all I needed was to watch it again, without being in the moment. I should have found a way to help, and I didn't. My Mother taught me better than that. And then, at my lowest point, there you were. You, and that beautiful little boy. And I knew everything was gonna be OK. Because that's my son, right? Tell me he is't my son. My boy. A perfect little angel. Oh, better, even. Turns out some angels are a bit off. I don't know what's going on with your husband. I know there is probably legal things that need to be worked out. But I understand that you're not happy with him, and I was wrong to not respect your desire to leave. Especially considering the alternatives you were trying. Most of all, I know that I need to be there for my boy. Not everyone gets more than one parent. Not everyone even gets one! If I can make it so he's one of those that does, I need to try. And I can be there for you, too, Hilgya. I can help you work through your demons, whatever they be. I know that you're a good person and you can be happy. So I want to ask you, if we can get the details sorted--for the sake of our son--Hilgya Firehelm--will you marry me?
    Hilgya: Flame Strike. Oh, calm down. I'm rich now, I can just raise him again.

Spoiler: Strip 1150
    Show
    Do-Over
    Belkar, Deva, Durkon, Elan, Haley, Hilgya, Minrah, Odin, Roy, Thor

<sfx> PINGG!!
    Durkon: Och, come on!
    (D): Oh, come on!
    Deva: Uh, was there some sort of issue with the spell?
    Durkon: It's fine. It's all fine. Just a li'l miscommunication b'tween me an' Hilgya.
    (D): It's fine. It's all fine. Just a little miscommunication between me and Hilgya.
    Minrah: Oooo, problems with the baby mama? She did seem a bit...tightly wound.
    Thor: This might be all my fault, really. When I decreed that you should "totally smash" the followers of Loki, that wasn't what I meant.
    Deva: Wait--we're actually getting a Raise Dead request from the same spellcaster. I assume you want me to deny it?
    Durkon: Na! Na, I'll take it. I'll take tha chance.
    (D): No! No, I'll take it. I'll take the chance.
    Deva: OK, they're your funerals.
    Durkon: We'll just work it out, an' we can all get on wit tha bus'ness aboot tha Snarl an' tha rifts an' tha planet inside tha rifts an' wha'ev'r else.
    (D): We'll just work it out, and we can all get on with the business about the Snarl, and the rifts, and the planet inside the rifts, and whatever else.
    <sfx> SPLONF! (AGAIN!)
    Thor: Wait, what did he mean about a planet inside the rifts?
    Odin: ?
    <cutaway>
    Hilgya: Raise Dead!
    Durkon: *gasp!* Protection from Fire! Stay back! ...Are ye gonna Flame Strike me again?
    (D): *gasp!* Protection from Fire! Stay back! ...Are you gonna Flame Strike me again?
    Hilgya: I don't know, are you going to say something that dumb again? 'Cause I'm not planning on it, but I reserve my right to respond to idiocy with cleansing divine fire.
    Durkon: Ye dinnae haf tha "right" ta kill me fer tryin' ta work things out b'tween us, Hilgya!
    (D): You don't have the "right" to kill me for trying to work things out between us, Hilgya!
    Hilgya: Good news, then. There's nothing left to work out. I got what I needed out of this. To be honest, I wasn't sure what I was going to do when I caught up to you--but your shallow thoughtless proposal really clarified things for me. It's so simple: You burned me, so I burned you. Now we're done and I feel a lot better.
    Durkon: Ye cannae possibly think me rejectin' ye an' ye literally murderin' me are equal?
    (D): You can't possibly think that my rejecting you and your literally murdering me are equal?
    Hilgya: Of course not. You can't fix rejection with a ten-minute cleric spell. But who cares about equal, anyway. If I hurt you worse than you hurt me, good. That means I win.
    Durkon: "Win"? This ain't some kinda competition!
    (D): "Win"? This isn't some kind of competition!
    Hilgya: Everything is a competition, and the only people who think otherwise are losers who lose.
    Roy: OK, enough. This is fascinating and/or disturbing but my arms are falling asleep. Does this conversation end with us rolling initiative or not?
    Durkon: Dunno. Ask her.
    (D): I don't know. Ask her.
    Hilgya: No. I'm fine.
    Roy: Then how about we table it for now. Unless I'm mistaken, Durkon some of the vampire's little minions were missing from the fight scene, so we're not out of the woods just yet.
    Durkon: Aye. The Exarch an' a few others'll still try ta sway tha council vote.
    (D): That's right. The Exarch and a few others will still try to sway the council's vote.
    Roy: Let's head back to the temple of Thor and plan our next move. Also it's good to have you back. You have no idea how much we needed you.
    Durkon: Thanks, lad. It's good ta be back.
    (D): Thanks, boy. It's good to be back.
    Elan: Hooray! Durkon's back!
    Haley: We missed you, big guy.
    Durkon: I missed all o' ye, too. Tha hardest part o' bein' trapped right thar, inside me own 'ead, was na bein' able ta reach out an' tell all o' ye that it'd be OK. Tha second hardest part was knowin' only Belkar could tell tha diff'rence b'tween me an' an evil spirit! I mean, Belkar? Seriously??
    (D): I missed all of you, too. The hardest part of being trapped right there, inside my own head, was not being able to reach out and tell all of you that it will be OK. The second hardest part was knowing that only Belkar could tell the difference between me and an evil spirit! I mean, Belkar? Seriously??
    Belkar: I know, right.
    Roy: I got there! Eventually!
    Elan: In my defense, I am not very smart.
    Haley: I already got fooled by Nale! What were the chances of two imposter storylines?!
    Last edited by martianmister; 2019-01-03 at 08:51 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

Updated! As of 918:

032 (+1)
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #165
    Halfling in the Playground

RangerGuy

Firstly, I am terrified and fascinated by this thread, and now doubt whether I should be on the Internet anymore. Keep it up, OP!

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    I mean, 3rd level? That's where most people START their 3.5 games, at the lowest! We need to reach at least Dorkiness 11 before the Dorkiness class features start to get interesting
    Agreed, and, since no one else is willing to level us up, I will take it upon myself to organise the smilies...into alphabetical order, in order that 4th level dorkness may be attained.

My analysis of this data leads me to conclude safely that it is obvious that Elan is the Snarl.
    Last edited by Gil-Galad II; 2013-09-16 at 07:28 PM.
    Why I love V...

Now, if you don't mind, I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down.

- - -

Damn it! Vaarsuvius, I've told you before, we do NOT blow up other members of the party!

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

Updated! As of 921:

054 (+1)
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

Updated! As of 934:

Last edited by martianmister; 2013-12-07 at 09:06 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

Updated! As of 935:

039 040
    Last edited by martianmister; 2013-12-29 at 06:48 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't really know why I did it - but I just did a quick count of the smilies.

The OP lists (as of 935) 40 , while your summation here lists only 39. Your other numbers are correct.

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

20. - Top - End - #170

RedKnightGirl

What happens when you assign each smilie a number and multiply the numbers together?

Or integrate them?

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Nappa View Post
    What happens when you assign each smilie a number and multiply the numbers together?

Or integrate them?
    I did it. I just get some random numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    I don't really know why I did it - but I just did a quick count of the smilies.

The OP lists (as of 935) 40 , while your summation here lists only 39. Your other numbers are correct.
    Weird.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #172
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Updated! As of 897:

104 (+1)
    First, you didn't list the blanks.

Second, if you DO list the blanks we have 12 letters (now that we added a thumbs up).

Third, Hawaiian has 12 letters.

Cryptographers GO!

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ridry View Post
    First, you didn't list the blanks.
    Why would I list the blanks? It's "Rich Burlew's Smilies" thread, not "Rich Burlew's Smilies and Blanks" thread...
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Nappa View Post

Or integrate them?
    Nah, real science requires computation of the entropy of the smilie distribution (roughly 3 bits).
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Updated! As of 940:

[B]114[B]
    [B]067[B]
    [B]069[B]
    [B]058[/]
    [B]055[B]
    [B]045[B]
    039 [B]040[B]
    [B]037[B]
    [B]036[B]
    [B]033[B]
    [B]001[B]
    Last edited by martianmister; 2014-01-22 at 10:30 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

Updated! As of 940:

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

Should #945's be counted ?
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

28. - Top - End - #178

This is a very silly thread and I approve wholeheartedly.
    3DS Friend Code: 3067-5674-0852. Currently running: Emerald.

Latias, Groudon, Rayquaza, Kyogre promised to JustPlayItLoud for a shiny Gastly, Gulpin, Frogadier, and Dedenne. Regirock, Regice, Registeel up for grabs.

Spoiler: Living Shinydex Progress 31/718 Newest Shiny: Buneary
    Show
    Gen I: 9/151
    Gen II: 6/100
    Gen III: 7/135
    Gen IV: 3/107
    Gen V: 3/156
    Gen VI: 2/69

Come visit World's Finest Gaming on Tumblr or Facebook or even our Youtube channel and watch me stream!

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    Should #945's be counted ?
    No, because it's default thread symbol, not a choice of smiley.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

Updated! As of 945:

Spoiler
    Show