Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Top 5 Pieces of Zombie Apocalypse Survival Gear

What are the top 5 things you would take with you in order to survive the zombie apocalypse?

You can only list things that you own, and no fair listing backpacks full of various supplies or bug-out kits, even if they are sitting right beside you.

1. Shovel
    2. Leatherman
    3. Cell phone
    4. The Zombie Survival Guide
    5. Lighter
    Working on a campaign world or adventure and need feedback?
    Check out this site.

Truth

Quote Originally Posted by Talya
    Anyone casting a ninth level spell should not be just bending the fabric of reality, but chewing up the fabric of reality and spitting it out. It represents an expenditure of raw magical force that should be momentous, and should have similar shock value as the events following Grand Moff Tarkin's "You may fire when ready."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Top 5 Pieces of Zombie Apocalypse Survival Gear

1. bow
    2. arrows
    3. road flares
    4. lighter
    5. entrenchment tool

bow and arrows- reusable/easy to make ammo

road flares- signaling in event or rescue

lighter- starting fire(s)

entrenchment tool(yes, i have one.)- dig latrines and graves and use as a weapon
    Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur
    Quote Originally Posted by KuReshtin View Post
    Damn you, Avocado. i'll never be able to look at a duck again without thinking that they're trying to disguise themselves as dogs.
    Spoiler
    Show

bindrune by Icewalker

banner by araveugnitsuga

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Top 5 Things I've got on hand in case of zombie apocalypse? I'm kinda assuming slow zombies.

1. My weaponry. I've got a small arsenal of cutting weapons that would give me a decent back-up against the undead, and with Dad's firearms, we could do alright against stuff. Not amazingly, but alright. Of course, if they're virus zombies, this is far less relevant, but if they're non-infectious, then I'm golden.
    2. My car, while gas was available. My bike, after that. Transport faster than a zombie is good.
    3. My variety of multi-tools and actual tools (I have quite a collection).
    4. My collection of journals. Someone has to document the end of the world, and might as well be me. I'm great at running away from things, if nothing else, and I'm a good chronicler.
    5. I... dunno. I can access a lot of fire on short notice. I guess that? Sorry, these threads aren't my thing really.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

A lighter will run out too fast. I'll go with a big box of matches. or that solar-powered flashlight I have (haha, I know the joke. It still works). Weapons are right out. I can't fire a ranged one, and if I get into melee with anyone, I'm dead anyway.

So:
    1. Hiking boots. There will be a lot of walking, and I need these.
    2. Coat. It's still way below freezing here, and is for most of the year. Even during summer, you don't want to sleep outside without a coat.
    3. Knife. A good swiss army knife, if that counts, as the various tools are useful. Needle, can-opener, saw, lockpick could all be useful.
    4. One kilo box of matches. Those are available here and I'd rather have those than a lighter.
    5. The boyscout book I still have lying around (was a corporal for a few years). Edible plants, reading tracks, basic medicine... I can do most of it anyway (especially the plants, as a biologist), but it helps to have a reference handy.
    Staunch Defender of Vancian Casting in D&D. Ask me about Magic!

Mr Sacks:
    the winds are wild, the lacre deep.
    The snarling stones arise from sleep.
    The Fifth's tales may exalt the suns,
    but never hope to halt what comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    I want more mwa-ha-haaa and much less boo-hoo-hoo.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

1. Knife, specifically my Gerber LMF II. A good fixed blade knife is easily the most useful tool to have out in the wilderness.
    2. Metal USGI 1 qt canteen. Better than plastic because you can boil water
    3. My water filter (though not strictly necessary, it'll certainly come in handy when I don't want to filter through sand and then boil)
    4. Big box of matches - for the same reason as Eldan. besides, starting a fire with a bic is a PITA
    5. snare wire. If you know what you're doing, it's a great way to gather small game.

If I may ask, in a situation where the infrastructure holding society together together has collapsed, what use is a phone?

6. - Top - End - #6

1. My katana: yeah no guns in this house so gonna hafta take down zombies with something, plus it's quiet.
    2. My shortbow: also to take down zombies. it's no.2 because I am a horrible aim.
    3. My bike: Theres only so much gas left in an apocalypse so I need something.
    4. My tent: First thing i'm going to do is head up to mountains and find a nice river with some food nearby.
    5. A tinderbox: Yeah lasts a long time and i'm going to need fire of a sort.
    I killed the thread killing thread,so yeah
    I cannot be held legally responsible for injuries gained by being overcome by my epicness.
    Awesome avvie by Serpentine!
    Spoiler
    Show

my hero
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-the belkster

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Squat View Post
    1. Knife, specifically my Gerber LMF II. A good fixed blade knife is easily the most useful tool to have out in the wilderness.
    2. Metal USGI 1 qt canteen. Better than plastic because you can boil water
    3. My water filter (though not strictly necessary, it'll certainly come in handy when I don't want to filter through sand and then boil)
    4. Big box of matches - for the same reason as Eldan. besides, starting a fire with a bic is a PITA
    5. snare wire. If you know what you're doing, it's a great way to gather small game.

If I may ask, in a situation where the infrastructure holding society together together has collapsed, what use is a phone?
    Well, I'll be damned. Here I am, forgetting a canteen or pot. Interestingly, I got almost a full set of military equipment (sans uniform and weapons) at recruitment, even though they didn't take me, so I have a three-part metal canteen I could take. Book out, canteen in. So, it's:

1. Knife
    2. Coat
    3. Canteen
    4. Shoes
    5. Matches

I probably wouldn't need the canteen for water, since in this country you can't walk a hundred meters without tripping over a clean, drinkable brook, but I could cook in it.

Mr Sacks:

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

1) Light armor: I'm facing fists and teeth, this should protect me nicely
    2) A mace: Light enough to keep swinging with, and since the job is to bash in the scull, probably more useful than a cutting weapon. Last ditch weapon held in reserve for when you need to save ammo
    3) Guns and ammo: Killing things, it's what they do
    4) Book on farming: I don't know how to farm, somewhere down the line we'll need to learn to make crops again.
    5) plethora of seeds: To make the crops.

9. - Top - End - #9

Well, hunting or farming isn't my concern, really. Can't do either well, so I'll go with raiding, edible plant stew, worms and insects.

Alternatively instead of my canteen: Boyscout felt hat (looks like a mountie hat, for those not knowing scout hats). I've cooked soup in it before, it does nicely and hats are useful.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2011-02-24 at 09:38 PM.

Mr Sacks:

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

1: A hammer
    2: Flashlight
    3: sleeping bag
    4: Bike
    5: A box of matches.

Currently, my zombie plan is to stuff a couple of canned food into my backpack, bike over to a nearby barn (I live in a rural area, so it shouldn't be too hard.) Get in, climb up to the upper level, pull up ladder/destroy ladder and basically camp there. Though, considering where I live, Zombies would be hard to come by since, you know, there isn't a lot of people here.
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    I don't have a crate problem, but feel free to take a look anyway.
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Well, hunting or farming isn't my concern, really. Can't do either well, so I'll go with raiding, edible plant stew, worms and insects.

Alternatively instead of my canteen: Boyscout felt hat (looks like a mountie hat, for those not knowing scout hats). I've cooked soup in it before, it does nicely and hats are useful.
    Gotta plan long term, if nothing else can give you the necessary will power to keep going. Unfortunately for me (assuming I don't get eaten in the first 5 minutes, being chubby with a bad knee and back does not make my chances of survival high) that probably means learning how to farm.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

1: Knife, for various utility needs.
    2: Hiking boots. Walking everywhere will get really old really fast (heck, it already is ) but good shoes make all the difference in the world.
    3: My dog. Loyal, smart, well trained, and formidable in a fight if he needs to be. He can also sniff out small game/food storage spots/impending zombies, and in a life-or-death scenario can serve as a distraction to the zombies or a last resort for food. (Sorry pal, I love you but I gotta live)
    4: A backpack, for carrying and storing food and supplies that I scavenge.
    5: A box of matches, to create FIAH.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

1:Matches
    2:Machete
    3:Backpack
    4:Combat boots
    5:The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks(?)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Terry for my irate Nightmare Alchemist Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    Creed, you guys are awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Now for Creed to quote me and say something snarky. And the circle of life will be complete.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Aside from what I normally carry, this is what Id carry.
    1: Survival knife with sharpener
    2: 100 feet of 550 paracord
    3: 1 quart Canteen or water bottle
    4: Fire starting kit
    5: maps and compass

15. - Top - End - #15

1. Some sort of weapon is almost mandatory. Preferably something with the potential to be used in other circumstances. A shovel, crowbar, or machete would be my choice. The shovel seems the most useful to me personally, given my location and skills.

2. Something proctive makes sense too. A good leather trenchcoat should provide nice coverage while being lightweight and functional.

3. Sensible hiking boots. Too many bad things can happen if you're not wearing the right footwear.

4. A Knife. Not good for fighting zombies, but a sharp blade is too useful not to have. You can make plenty of other useful items if all you have is a good carving knife and some wood.

5. Rope. Good for helping you to get somewhere the zombies cannot, plus a myriad of other uses.

EDIT: I just realized this is pretty much the top five things I buy for my D&D characters.
    Last edited by rayne_dragon; 2011-02-24 at 10:05 PM.
    Melusine-esque Avatar made by the awesome Akrim.elf!
    Genderbender Week Yuan-ti Avatar by Bisected8.

Xe/xyr are my favourite pronouns, so feel free to refer to me as such instead of she/her.

16. - Top - End - #16

My longterm plan would be:

1) Find nearest fallout shelter. Legally, every house in this country was required to have one, fully stocked, until recently. Older houses also lack them, and ours is 400 years old. There should still be blankets and food. I'll stay in one as long as the food holds out.

2) Move into the alps. They are basically free of people, so fewer zombies. You can still hunt and fish there, too, so that's okay. Just stay away from the big forbidden cat and wolf areas.

3) Find abandoned military installations. The alps have hundreds of kilometers of tunnels and military bases everywhere. There should be generators, food stores and stacked hospitals still around.

Mr Sacks:

17. - Top - End - #17
    Halfling in the Playground

1) Leather body suit
    2) Survival Knife
    3) Shaolin Spade
    4) Shotgun preferably a saiga
    5) more ammo

18. - Top - End - #18

Easy, I plan for this kind of stuff. I'll assume I get the clothes Im wearing now for free.

1. My backpack. (empty, but it's big)
    2. Cold weather clothing. (I'ts needed here and will be useful long term.)
    3. The box of tools in the garage. (It's not too heavy, and fits in the bottom of my backpack.)
    4. A couple bottles of whisky. (If I'm going to die, I'm going to die comfortable and well alcoholized, plus empty they double as cantines.)
    5. A crowbar from the garage.
    I'm craving a Film Noir-ish detective story with Chtulhu elements in personal horror-style. Gaming system irrelevant. Willing to co-dm / main-dm something but I prefer to play. PM me if you're interested or have any good ideas to base a story on.

19. - Top - End - #19

Strong (as in, really strong) alcohol would have a lot of uses. Disinfectant, fire starter...

Mr Sacks:

20. - Top - End - #20

Yeah, that's why everyone who plans on surviving the zombiecalypse needs to know how to make their own alcohol out of potatoes or whatever is handy and useable nearby.
    I'm craving a Film Noir-ish detective story with Chtulhu elements in personal horror-style. Gaming system irrelevant. Willing to co-dm / main-dm something but I prefer to play. PM me if you're interested or have any good ideas to base a story on.

21. - Top - End - #21

Distilling it down to any useful degree isn't easy. We barely got it burning back in High School chemistry, and that was with modern equipment. I'd like to see anyone building a functioning distillery out in the woods.

Mr Sacks:

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Distilling it down to any useful degree isn't easy. We barely got it burning back in High School chemistry, and that was with modern equipment. I'd like to see anyone building a functioning distillery out in the woods.
    I live in the hills of Tennessee. I'm currently within 20 miles of at least 5 home made stills. Also, feel free to read up on Popcorn Sutton

23. - Top - End - #23

Ofcourse, the access to knowledge about making stills and such is bound to be very geographically varied. Out here though, in addition to being a very zombie-survival friendly place to begin with there are lots of farms with old still-equipment still laying around from during the second world war. Using that old equipment is of course incredibly dangerous and will require proper training and skill much like the operation of every other type of machinery. During the end of days at the hands of zombies, these skills will be needed.

24. - Top - End - #24

Strong (as in, really strong) alcohol would have a lot of uses. Disinfectant, fire starter...
    The problem is once you run out, where do you get more? Too much risk, for too little reward. I don't think anything that you can run out of should be a top 5 pick simply because having to replace something would be potentially quite risky in a zombie apocalypse scenario. Water (in a container) is the only thing I think I would make an exception for since it is essential to life, and isn't easily accessible in some areas. The only reason I didn't put water as my #5 is that where I live finding clean water sources is rarely an issue. Keeping dry is more of a problem.
    Melusine-esque Avatar made by the awesome Akrim.elf!
    Genderbender Week Yuan-ti Avatar by Bisected8.

Xe/xyr are my favourite pronouns, so feel free to refer to me as such instead of she/her.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Squat View Post
    I live in the hills of Tennessee. I'm currently within 20 miles of at least 5 home made stills. Also, feel free to read up on Popcorn Sutton
    I stand corrected.

Mr Sacks:

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Vodka is probably fine in a pinch, but you do not want to try and disinfect anything with sugar fermented liquor unless you want a fungal infection. Peroxide and isopropanol are common enough that it wouldn't be feasible to do anyway.

I would just need my guitar, amp, and a generator. You're all gonna die, I intend to do it rocking.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well, I'll be damned. Here I am, forgetting a canteen or pot. Interestingly, I got almost a full set of military equipment (sans uniform and weapons) at recruitment, even though they didn't take me, so I have a three-part metal canteen I could take. Book out, canteen in.
    Did you get your commissar's uniform then too? I want one of those peaked hats...
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Halfling in the Playground

1. Machete-Blades don't need reloading
    2. Knife-Lots of uses.
    3. My army Canteen-Obvious reasons
    4. Hiking Boots-Cars will be next to useless, and I need to get away from cities.
    5. Backpack- I plan on being able to carry a lot more stuff than this.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Did you get your commissar's uniform then too? I want one of those peaked hats...
    Nope. The Swiss army doesn't have them. I got boots, canteen, knife and assorted tools, though.

Mr Sacks:

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

hunting knife.
    crowbar.
    heavy duty tarp (preferably the sort with chord running through it)
    zippo.
    shotgun.

they're all multi-use, high durability, and can be used to gather more resources.

well, with the exception of the gun, but you're gonna need the "oh crap" button.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever: