New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [Hourglass of Zihaja D&D 4e] Heroes on a Sea of Swords IC

Quote Originally Posted by Scylfing View Post
    Medinah

After checking over the equipment and paying the man, Medinah nods to Amirah's request.

"Yes, I am certain that we will find a dining establishment along either the eastern or western thoroughfares that connect to the market. Perhaps we should choose one where we would not likely attract attention to ourselves," she replies telepathically.
    Amirah, Living Swarm

"I'm sure the nice people here can help us!" she sends back. Amirah then looks around, and zeroes in an old couple that are looking at some pots and pans in a nearby stall. Amirah glides to them, and touches her brow as she bows to them.

"May the Gods give you health, good people," she send to both of them. "My friend and I are looking for a nice, quiet inn where we can get some nice food. Could you help us?"

After some rather amusing disagreement amongst the couple over the definition of good food, shortest routes, and whether or not the inns they were talking about had closed some 20 years prior, Amirah and Medinah are directed to Pilgrim's Road, to the Aged Blade Inn. Amirah grabs Medinah's hand again, and they meander in that general direction.

"People in this city-hive are very funny. I'm so glad you wanted to come, Medinah!" she mentions as they slowly make their way through the crowd.
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2011-02-26 at 06:27 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ninja_penguin View Post
    "Heard any good tales? I'm not going to spend the day swinging loops from the rigging."
    "Not anything specific, though from what I hear the people here are a bit stuffy." Looking around, Kihtsah considers which direction looks more interesting. "Still, not knowing just means exploring will be that much more interesting. You're welcome to join me." Setting off in his chosen direction, Kihtsah keeps an eye out for anything unusual or temples to Adimas or Limalia.

Spoiler
    Show
    Really don't have much of an idea of where I'm going, if Rahman does, Kihtsah will follow along, again watching for the temples.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    "People in this city-hive are very funny. I'm so glad you wanted to come, Medinah!" she mentions as they slowly make their way through the crowd.
    "Yes, as am I, it is not often when I have the opportunity to intermingle with people outside of the crew, even when our vessel is in port. Captain Shaur--" Medinah's thoughts break off for a moment as she looks over toward the direction of the Sultan's Palace. Though it's unspoken, Amirah should be able to sense apprehensiveness in the Warforged.

"She normally does the mingling while I attend to her safety. Furthermore, I have found that ordinary people react poorly to my artificial speech, so having you with me to facilitate communication is greatly appreciated. I hope this Aged Blade Inn will have suitable refreshments for you, Amirah."
    Currently playing: Jathal Darsha'an; Linie

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

"Yes, as am I, it is not often when I have the opportunity to intermingle with people outside of the crew, even when our vessel is in port. Captain Shaur--" Medinah's thoughts break off for a moment as she looks over toward the direction of the Sultan's Palace. Though it's unspoken, Amirah should be able to sense apprehensiveness in the Warforged.

"She normally does the mingling while I attend to her safety. Furthermore, I have found that ordinary people react poorly to my artificial speech, so having you with me to facilitate communication is greatly appreciated. I hope this Aged Blade Inn will have suitable refreshments for you, Amirah."
    Amirah, Living Swarm

The mental communication carries far more emotional context than the warforged's monotone voice ever could, and Amirah has little trouble picking up her friend's feelings. Indeed, they are strong enough that Amirah stops in her tracks. "Are you worried?" comes the saddened response. "Should we go check on the Captain? I mean, I don't think that the guards will let us in, but maybe if we ask nicely? I am quite hungry, but when you are worried it makes me sad."
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Medinah pauses and blinks a few times before answering. (This is normal for her when she is processing emotions and feelings.)

"I apologize for making you feel undue sadness, Amirah. I do not believe I am worried, the Captain is a capable woman and she has First Mate One-Eye with her as well, and I deem it unlikely that her enemies would dare to attack her here. My feelings may be that I am simply unaccustomed to being separated from her. However, after you have had nourishment, I would be grateful if we could go to the palace."
    Last edited by Dacia Brabant; 2011-02-26 at 07:17 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Medinah pauses and blinks a few times before answering.

"I apologize for making you feel undue sadness, Amirah. I do not believe I am worried, the Captain is a capable woman and she has First Mate One-Eye with her as well, and I deem it unlikely her enemies would dare to attack her here. My feelings may be that I am simply unaccustomed to being separated from her. However, after you have had nourishment, I would be grateful if we could go to the palace."
    Amirah, Living Swarm

"OK! That sounds like it could be interesting." Amirah's thoughts are back to happy tones, and she starts walking towards the inn once more.

Before long, they find themselves at the entry. They carefully make their way in, and Amirah instinctively looks around. Her experience with inns is that, sooner or later, drunken pirates will either start singing, or fighting, or both. It pays to know the crowd, and where it is heading.

At the bar, she orders two meads, and asks for a table to sit at.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception (passive 28, active - (1d20+18)[22])
    Insight (crowd mood. Passive 31, active - (1d20+21)[25])

OK, passive it is.
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2011-02-26 at 07:24 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

The Docks
    After asking around, Kihtsah finds out that Adimas is pretty much unheard of in the city, and that Limalia is quite unpopular. There is, however, a Temple of Limalia in the Temple District.

The Aged Blade Inn
    The barkeep greets you at the bar. Hey, I'm Qaled Ali, the owner here. Two meads? I think its a bit early for a couple of young ladies like yourselves to be drinking, but I won't question it. Comin' right up. You gals can sit yerselves wherever you like, there's a couple open tables, or you can keep me company here at the bar. Whatever you prefer. With that, the man goes to prepare their drinks. The inn's atmosphere is peaceful - a few patrons are enjoying brunch with a glass of goat's milk or fruit juice - a rare few are drinking something alcoholic. The inn's not all that busy - its too early for the regular crowd to be trickling in, so there's plenty of open tables.
    Last edited by Shadow_Elf; 2011-02-26 at 07:58 PM.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    "Still, not knowing just means exploring will be that much more interesting. You're welcome to join me."
    Rahman Shamis, Kobold Swordmage

Rahman followed Khitsah's lead. "May as well."He said. "I doubt that we're going to get much time on land for a while after this."

"If I smell something good I'm going to stop to eat most likely." He added as the Kobold pair wandered through the streets. "Duke means well, but his meals could need more to distinguish them from each other."
    Spoiler
    Show

"Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2..."

"It all seemed harmless..."

Character Roster:

Ami Nakamura - Self Taught Sorceress [Sacramento Occult]

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_Elf View Post
    The Aged Blade Inn
    The barkeep greets you at the bar. Hey, I'm Qaled Ali, the owner here. Two meads? I think its a bit early for a couple of young ladies like yourselves to be drinking, but I won't question it. Comin' right up. You gals can sit yerselves wherever you like, there's a couple open tables, or you can keep me company here at the bar. Whatever you prefer.
    Amirah, Living Swarm

"A table will be nice. We've been walking a lot today! Thank you, Qaled!" Amirah looks around and picks a table on a corner. She sits carefully, making sure her robes still cover her, and waits for the drinks while babbling to patient Medinah about all the wonderful sights of the city.

When the drinks arrive, Amirah picks one of them up and slips it under the veil. While she raises the tankard in a passable imitation of drinking, hundreds of insects move forward under the veil and start collecting the alcoholic honey. They efficiently distribute it throughout the body, and after a few moments, the tankard is returned to the table empty.

Her hunger satiated, she then relaxes and, when no-one is watching, she switches her tankard with the one in front of Medinah. She takes her time to enjoy the taste of this one, now that the larvae are properly taken care of.

10. - Top - End - #40

OldWizardGuy

HAKHPUR

Before leaving the Merchant's Guild...

Upon seeing the afraid face of the lizardfolk clerk, Hakhpur adds some words: "I apologize if the mention of my other profession scared you, good man," he says. "I didn't know that cadre sages were so feared around here. But anyways, you have nothing to fear, for I'm just a wandering merchant working as a sage for an important crew."

Spoiler
    Show
    Yup, I forgot about the fear of the arcane arts in the world!

I'll fix it with a Bluff check to make him believe I said sage instead of mage: (1d20+17)[33] (Included the Phase bonus)

After leaving the Guild...

"Step one completed," he mumbles as he walks away from the building. "Let's start step two..."

Hakhpur walks towards the Market Square.
    Last edited by Belthasar; 2011-02-26 at 09:06 PM.
    ===================

My posting will be considerably slower from now on and during some months. Sorry about the inconveniences!

Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A: Lawful Good Human Sorcerer (3rd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-12
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-17

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Kihtsah Darimil, Dervish of Adimas

"A good idea, I do have one stop to make though," Kihtsah says as they wander towards the Temple District. After finding the temple of Limalia, Kihtsah asks Rahman to wait for a minute, pulls his cloak closer around him, and steps inside.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

The Bazaar
    Hakhpur is greeted by the sights and sounds that Amirah and Medinah just left behind. Hawkers abound, selling almost every conceivable ware.

Temple of Limalia
    The temple is not quite derelict, but it is sparse. There is no seating at all, and the decorations amount to a pair of tapestries depicting hunting wolves and a few prominent pieces of lapis lazuli. A gnollish priest tends to the altar - the temple is otherwise devoid of people.
    My Homebrew
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Medinah also seated herself carefully, choosing a sturdy, well-cushioned chair to support her metallic frame. She listened to Amirah's joyful babbling patiently, even happily, without interruption. When her friend switched her emptied glass with Medinah's full one, the Warforged did her part to keep up the illusion by thoroughly wiping her face and neckline clean and moving the glass closer, appearing to have finished off the drink herself.

When Amirah began her second drink, Medinah motioned that she wished to send a thought to her:

"I am curious, do you feel any effects from alcohol similar to how humanoids seem to do? Or does your swarm distribute it so evenly that you do not notice any impairment?"
    Last edited by Dacia Brabant; 2011-02-26 at 09:23 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Removing a bag from his belt pouch, Kihtsah silently walks forward, placing the bag before the altar before turning and, assuming he is not interrupted, leaving and rejoining Rahman.

Spoiler
    Show
    50 gp in the bag.

15. - Top - End - #45

OldWizardGuy

HAKHPUR in the Market Square

The gnoll observes the amount of people in this wide area. "This should be a great place to gather information or meet new people," he mumbles. "However, I'm not here for that..."

Hakhpur studies the stores and merchandies, looking for rare things some teammates could need.

Spoiler
    Show
    Basically, if allowed, I'd like to purchase here the ritual components.

If necessary, I'll make a Streetwise check to see where could I find them: (1d20+13)[15]

EDIT: Looks like Hakhpur is not very good on Streetwise checks... First a 5, now a 2.
    Last edited by Belthasar; 2011-02-26 at 10:09 PM.
    ===================

My posting will be considerably slower from now on and during some months. Sorry about the inconveniences!

Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-12
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-17

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Temple of Limalia
    The gnoll spots the bag of coins and stands up, turning to tower over Kihtsah. Wait, stranger. Clearly, you are unfamiliar with our tenets. I cannot accept this donation without pretense - we Limalites struggle alone, or not at all. I am Horan gar Kasch, priest of Limalia.

The Bazaar
    Hakhpur has no trouble finding the things he needs - a little old hawasabi woman in a stall that is beautiful for its simplicity sells rare herbs and healing unguents. A peculiar looking lizardman who wears many-layered lenses over his eyes with various spinning and twisting hinges allowing for the rearrangement of the magnifying glasses sells the alchemical reagents he seeks, and a kindly old priest of Sidaru sells black marble dust, which can be used in place of incense as a divine reagent for ritual casting.
    Last edited by Shadow_Elf; 2011-02-26 at 10:17 PM.
    My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Medinah View Post
    "I am curious, do you feel any effects from alcohol similar to how humanoids seem to do? Or does your swarm distribute it so evenly that you do not notice any impairment?"
    "Oh, it will affect Us," she answers, "If We had too much, some of the worker drones would die. Although that is true of water, too, I suppose. But it feels tingly and nice and it is so much less messy to eat than honey."

As the second tankard is slowly drained without showing any deleterious effect, one could wonder exactly what Amirah means by "too much."

"Back when I was a mere larvae and was playing with the pirate-wasps, I used to win plenty of dull gold by drinking strange fire-waters they gave us. It was a fun game, but pirates are not much fun when they have been drinking too much of it."

Spoiler
    Show
    Mechanical explanation for this: CON 20. She could outdrink your average dwarf. I'm afraid I don't know what effect alcohol has on insects in RL. But if needed, a wizard did it (i.e. Abdullah made sure he could continue to enjoy a drink in his new form)
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2011-02-26 at 10:18 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

"I am Kihtsah, wanderer and pirate hunter, and in fact I am aware of your tenants, though in honesty I follow different ones. Nonetheless, I owe a debt to the church, one I feel compelled to repay. If need be, you can consider it a momentary respite to prepare you for greater trials to come."

Spoiler
    Show
    Would a religion check be appropriate, as I am attempting to also justify it by their terms?
    (1d20+18)[20]
    EDIT: I really should not volunteer dice rolls for things that I'm not asked to roll for, it often ends up going badly.
    Last edited by Reverent-One; 2011-02-26 at 10:42 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Temple of Limalia
    The gnoll cackles. I should expect no less from a follower of The Gilded Eye. Very well. In truth, despite this being a port city, the Church of Wayfarers is unpopular. We need the support if we are to continue to spread the word. Thank you, Kihtsah the hunter of pirates. If I may ask, how was this debt incurred?
    My Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

"That is a personal matter, one I prefer not to discuss." With a bow, Kihtsah now takes his leave. "May the tides of fortune flow your way in the future."

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Medinah

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    "Oh, it will affect Us," she answers, "If We had too much, some of the worker drones would die. Although that is true of water, too, I suppose. But it feels tingly and nice and it is so much less messy to eat than honey."
    "Intriguing," she replies, pondering for a moment to consider what the theurgical underpinnings of a being like her friend might be, but realizing she's still in a telepathic link Medinah, embarassed, cuts those thoughts short.

"The consumption of poisons for enjoyment* is, to me, among the most fascinating aspects of humanoid life and culture. Since we are sharing memories, I have cloudy recollections of my maker using plant-based toxins 'to achieve a higher level of creative consciousness' as he would describe it. I cannot be certain whether that was the truth or not, since he invariably fell asleep afterwards. From all I know of pirates, I imagine they would have been considerably more aggressive than that. I am very pleased you are no longer with them."

Spoiler
    Show

*Seeing as how I'm on my third Optimator of the night, I'm really not one to talk.
    Last edited by Dacia Brabant; 2011-02-26 at 11:26 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Temple of Limalia
    Horan nods. I am sorry, I did not mean to pry. May you surmount the challenges you face with perseverance, Kihtsah. Farewell.
    Last edited by Shadow_Elf; 2011-02-26 at 11:41 PM.
    My Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #53

OldWizardGuy

HAKHPUR in the Market Square

Hakhpur thanks the sellers and he continues wandering the square, often finding interesting things. However, he needed one more piece of info before settling down at an inn.

"Step two completed. Now, what was the name of that place Kalbu talked me about?" he mumbles as he reaches for a piece of paper in his pocket. "Right. Zekai's Map Shop. For step three to be completed, I'll need to ask here if someone knows how to get there..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Streetwise check regarding Zekai's Map Shop: (1d20+13)[23]
    Last edited by Belthasar; 2011-02-26 at 11:37 PM.
    ===================

Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-12
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-17

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

" I am very pleased you are no longer with them."
    Amirah, Living Swarm

"So I am. You are much better company. You take me shopping, and you are so patient!" Suddenly, Amirah's thoughts turn very serious, "Also, we don't attack merchant ship-drones, but protect them and their nectar-cargo until they reach their city-hive. We also don't harm mother-queens. It was that, above all else, that showed We didn't belong with them."

Overlaying her thoughts are strange concepts, consequence of her alien understanding of the world. While she does use the correct words for ships, cargo, and so on, the mental image is that of busy worker bees going from hives to collect nectar, and how the wasps try to steal their nectar. And overriding all else is one burning image of unspeakable acts to a pregnant woman that pirates captured in Amirah's last trip with them. This last one is coloured with much anger and repugnance.

Amirah drains the last of her mead. "But enough sad memories," she projects, much happier. "Today is happy day! Come on, Medinah, lets see if we can find the Captain, so your thoughts can stop being so worried worried!"
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2011-02-26 at 11:47 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Kihtsah rejoins Rahman outside, "So how about we find somewhere to get a good meal then?"

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Medinah

The Warforged visibly shudders. "Agreed, enough sad memories." She stands just as carefully as she had sat down, goes through the motions of adjusting both her fake garb and real gear, and puts a smile on her illusionary face as she produces coin to pay for the drinks. "Please, it is--I believe the correct expression is--my treat, for your assistance today. We will be at sea for an indeterminate amount of time, do you wish to have a bottle of the liquid?"

Spoiler
    Show

I assume 1 gp is more than enough for the two glasses, or 6 gp for two glasses and a bottle. I'm sure you can pay, too, but I kind of want to use up the last of my coinage.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

"Please, it is--I believe the correct expression is--my treat, for your assistance today. We will be at sea for an indeterminate amount of time, do you wish to have a bottle of the liquid?"
    Amirah, Living Swarm

"You are the bestest friend ever!" Amirah shouts mentally as she hugs her tightly. The experience, even for a warforged, is strange. There is very little strength to the 'arms', and there is a buzz coming from the hundreds of individuals that gets transmitted to the person being hugged.

Spoiler
    Show
    I assume 1 gp is more than enough for the two glasses, or 6 gp for two glasses and a bottle. I'm sure you can pay, too, but I kind of want to use up the last of my coinage.
    That's more than plenty. According to PHB page 222, two pitchers are 4 sp, and a bottle of wine (assuming a decent wine, although the PHB doesn't specify) is 5 gp. Mead is nowhere near as expensive as wine, so you can probably get a few bottles of the stuff for 6 gp.
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2011-02-27 at 09:23 AM.

28. - Top - End - #58

Rahman Shamis, Kobold Swordmage

"Absolutely. I'm thinking we swing by the market. Find a street vendor or ask around if we don't see anything. Might as well get some sight seeing done while we're here, I suppose." Rahman said in reply, before heading off in that direction.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2..."

"It all seemed harmless..."

Character Roster:

Ami Nakamura - Self Taught Sorceress [Sacramento Occult]

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

The Bazaar
    Hakhpur eaily enough discovers that Zekai's Map Shop is behind the Sultan's Palace, at the intersection of Shimha Road and Center Street. He is also warned that the shop is not manned by Zekai, but rather by one of his two apprentices, Nashan or Aki.

The Temple District
    Since Rahman and Kihtsah had to pass by Market Square on their way to the Temple of Limalia, they easily find their way back towards it. The Bazaar is filled with the sounds, sights and smells of the entire world, experienced as a microcosm.
    My Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #60

OldWizardGuy

HAKHPUR

After he's finished looking around by the Market Square, Hakhpur starts walking north as indicated. It'll be a long walkabout.

He passes by a street which have an extravagant-looking inn in front of a temple.

"Smoking-Lion-Inn," he mumbles. "Hmmm... Maybe another time. Looks expensive..."

After some minutes, he finally reaches his destination: Zekai's Map Shop, and enters the building.

"Greetings," he says at the person who's behind the counter. "I must say you've got an impressive material here..."

He says those words as he observes the beautiful maps.
    ===================

Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-12
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-17