Default [Hourglass of Zihaja D&D 4e] Heroes on a Sea of Swords IC

When two halves make a whole in dire straits,
    An empire long dead is now reborn,
    And serpents’ venom shall seal all our fates,
    A scaly boot to crush all with its scorn,

But lion’s pride and noblesse meets the foe,
    On battlefields of wood in seas of blue,
    With claws and teeth of iron it will show,
    That weapons through a serpent’s scales strike true.

And as these titans meet beneath the sun
    The scavengers of seas begin to prowl
    They pillage, rape and plunder for their fun
    In wake of battles, deeds are done most foul

But a fourth force has taken to the sea,
    A force not lion, scavenger or snake,
    Before their wake the enemies do flee,
    The colours that they fly do the nerves shake.

They fight for noble deeds and just rewards,
    These dauntless Heroes on a Sea of Swords.

- Sonnet of the Water War, by Ahmis Rothan.

--------------------------------------------------------------

The Midnight Mirage sits at dock in the bustling port of Muarzibet, the City of God. The crew are busy readying the ship for when next her famous indigo sails unfurl, since they'll be hoisting anchor in a day or two.

On deck, Captain Shaur al-Farid stands with her First Mate, the comically piratical lizardfolk Caal One-Eye, her Quartermaster, the mysterious Kalam Delat, and her six Hunters. The Dervish of Adimas, Kihtsah Darimil; the Living Swarm Mage, Amirah; the Captain's Warforged Bodyguard, Medinah; the ship's eccentric Alchemist, Rahman Shamis; the ship's Medic and cleric of Daq, Teshiq; and her new Cadre Mage, Hakhpur gar Mubrak.

Alright, Hunters, you lot have the day off. You too, Medinah. I'm off to the Sultan's Palace to get our snake-man hunting license. Caal is coming with me - Kalam's in charge while I'm gone. You're free to leave the ship and roam the city, see the sights. Don't do anything I wouldn't do. Don't kill anybody, unless they really deserve it. That's all. Have a nice day. explains the half-marid captain, grinning her sharp-toothed grin.
    I shall follow your lead, Captain, adds the lizardfolk with the eyepatch, and barring any questions from her Hunters, the Captain leads her First Mate onto the pier and into the city proper.

Kalam smiles. Well, you whelps best have fun while you can. With all those snakes out there fer us to kill, you might not get a chance to enjoy the city like this for quite some time. Don't worry, I can... ah... how is it said in the Common tongue? Ah, yes, "hold down the fort", here. Run along, says the sleek-furred Gnoll with his typical cynical derisive tone.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Hourglass of Zihaja D&D 4e] Heroes on a Sea of Swords IC

Medinah

Standing 6 feet tall with long, pale blonde hair that nearly looked white in the right lighting and was adorned with a black ribbon and ruby-colored gem, all kitted out in stylish, glimmering black leather armor with a longsword that radiated a blood red glow even in its scabbard, Medinah cut an impressive figure. But a glimpse of the hard reality beneath the illusion of humanity she wore would render that figure thoroughly mundane.

A sad but understanding expression crossed the illusionary girl's face when the captain took her leave. "Acknowledged. Be careful, Captain Shaur," was all she said in her characteristically light but metallic, emotionless voice.

Medinah's red gaze followed the captain and first mate until they were finally out of sight, and lingered a moment or two longer before she turned to her friend Amirah. "Amirah, please accompany me into Muarzibet. I wish to make a purchase before our mission commences."
    Currently playing: Jathal Darsha'an; Linie

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scylfing View Post
    Medinah's red gaze followed the captain and first mate until they were finally out of sight, and lingered a moment or two longer before she turned to her friend Amirah. "Amirah, please accompany me into Muarzibet. I wish to make a purchase before our mission commences."
    Amirah, Living Swarm

Amirah is busy adjusting her clothes. The heavy desert clothes covers her fully, and the veil takes care of the rest. One or two bees pop outside and come back in every few seconds, letting Amirah take a good look at herself. She finishes by adjusting her gloves, and then tilts her head and looks at Medinah.

"Sure. Sounds interesting," she says, telepathically. "Do you think they'll have honey? Duke does his best, but We haven't had proper food in three days now. Some of the babies are starting to suffer."
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2011-02-25 at 08:24 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

HAKHPUR

The new guy is a male gnoll who dresses in black and holds an ornated staff. He's Hakhpur, the new cadre mage.

"Roger!" he replies to Kalam, then he turns to Captain Shaur al-Farid: "And good luck Captain!"

With a grin, he leaps overvoard, landing on his feet, but right on the dock with a loud noise. "Heheheh," he cackles, "This is more like it! I'm going for a walkabout, fellows! Need something?"
    ===================

My posting will be considerably slower from now on and during some months. Sorry about the inconveniences!

Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A: Lawful Good Human Sorcerer (3rd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-12
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-17

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Medinah

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    "Sure. Sounds interesting," she says, telepathically. "Do you think they'll have honey? Duke does his best, but We haven't had proper food in three days now. Some of the babies are starting to suffer."
    Medinah blinks a few times before replying telepathically. "Regretably I do not have sufficient information to answer you with certainty at this time. However, given Muarzibet's high population density and access to overland and seafaring trade, I estimate a high probability of locating a market that sells honey."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Medinah View Post
    "Regretably I do not have sufficient information to answer you with certainty at this time. However, given Muarzibet's high population density and access to overland and seafaring trade, I estimate a high probability of locating a market that sells honey."
    Amirah, Living Swarm

"Ooooh, you think they'll be a bazaar?" Amirah projects, as her body suddenly seems quite animated. "Then they'll also have toys and clothes and pretty rock-glass of many colours. Lets go!"

Unlike the showy Hakpur, Amirah decides to take the gangplank. Her gait - if you can even call it that - is fluid and quite graceful in its own way, and could pass for human walk in bad light.
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2011-02-25 at 05:38 PM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Kihtsah

Kihtsah is a good shade redder than most of his kobold kin, and somewhat larger as well. The scales on the top of his head look as if they are made of dimly glowing coals. Though dressed in fine white robes with a blue trim and wearing a shiny brass quill around his neck, you wouldn't be able to tell as this is all hidden by the plain, tan cloak he wears over them.

Shooed along by Kalam, Kihtsah finds Rahman amoung the other hunters, "The City of God, huh? You've been here before, friend, haven't you? Any sights worth seeing?"
    Last edited by Reverent-One; 2011-02-25 at 05:37 PM.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Amirah, Living Swarm

Grabbing Medinah by her hand, Amirah pulls on her impatiently. "Come on, Medinah! Time's a'wasting!" she projects excitedly. Amirah can feel the rough texture of Medinah's hand behind the disguise, and the keen eyes of many of the swarm members can see right through the magic, such that Amirah can see the strange combined image of the warforged and the woman superimposed.

But Amirah is used to it, and she ignores that as she pulls on the war machine North along Bay Street towards the Market Square. Not that they make good progress. Once they near the stalls, the myriad offers grab Amirah's attention and she finds it hard to stop herself from stopping at every stall with something shiny or colourful.

Soon, she is getting rid of dull gold and collecting everything from small mementos to glass beads to expensive gems. While she is holding a particularly well-cut turquoise to the morning sun, she spots a nearby tent were flames of many colours are showing off the magical wares. The gem forgotten, she is drawn as if entranced to the tent. She soon acquires a particularly showy torch that burns in green and purple, but Medinah can tell that she will need to be physically dragged if they are to leave the place.

Spoiler
    Show
    The everburning torch is already in my inventory (i.e. bought it pre-game), and everything else is just converting from gold coins into portable gems/barter items, so not really buying anything quite yet. If I get the chance, I'll probably also "re-buy" (or rather RP-buy) the multiple change of clothes and even the fine clothing she is carrying in the magic pouch.

Edit: oh, I should add that I established Amirah sees through the disguise because her insight is higher than even the boosted bluff of Medinah.
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2011-02-25 at 11:30 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

The Bazaar
    The excited druid and the fluidity of her spending catches the eye of a man in a purple stall. His wares seem to be small quantities of liquid in exotically shaped glass bottles. Good morning to you, fine madams! May I interest either of you in a bottle of my finest perfume? Only the best, imported from across the world! Or, perhaps, would you favour a potion? I know all the wisest of wise old women and medicine-men this side of Alhurus Lake. Powerful concoctions, sure to have the desired effect! Or would you perhaps care for a combination hookah and french fry maker?

Amirah:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The man is clearly exaggerating to make a sale, but you're quite certain there's truth mixed in with the grandiosity of his gesturing.

Medinah:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The man might be embellishing a little, since he is being kind of over-the-top, but you're pretty sure you could find something worthwhile at the stall.
    Last edited by Shadow_Elf; 2011-02-25 at 11:52 PM.
    My Homebrew
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Purple stall Seller View Post
    Good morning to you, fine madams! May I interest either of you in a bottle of my finest perfume? Only the best, imported from across the world! Or, perhaps, would you favour a potion? I know all the wisest of wise old women and medicine-men this side of Alhurus Lake. Powerful concoctions, sure to have the desired effect!
    With a little excited "Aaaah" Amirah rushes to the stall. Her first reaction, however, has nothing to do with the smells or any claimed effects. Instead, she picks the prettiest of bottles and the more colourful liquids, and holds them up to the sky, watching the light filter through.

She does find time to send Medinah a quick mental message, though. "The funny man is exaggerating his words, but I'm quite certain he ain't lying. I do quite like the gestures, though." And indeed, she makes sure to send him approving sounds after each of his grandiose proclamations, to make sure he continues to be interested in the sale - and thus continues to produce cute little bottles for her to play with.

Spoiler
    Show
    So, anything interesting for sale? I mean, Amirah is as likely to buy just coloured water as an actual magic potion, but what's for sale?
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2011-02-26 at 12:20 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

OldWizardGuy

HAKHPUR

"So, this is the so-named Scaleytown," mumbles Hakhpur as he walks by the western Dock Street. "What I seek should be close..."

He said the previous words as his eyes suddenly glow a swift blue color for a brief period of time.

Soon, he stumbles with the Inner Circle Street, where some people are walking around. He'll use this chance to obtain information...

Spoiler
    Show
    Stay in Phase of Qamar (Moon)* to get a +2 bonus on both Stealth and Bluff.

Streetwise check (to gather important information regarding the Merchant's Guild): (1d20+13)[18]

*Note to the DM: Cosmic Sorcerers have three phases: Sun, Moon and Stars. Since the cosmology of your campaign world is unique, I took the liberty of naming the phases as Dhuqa, Qamar and Falaqui respectively.
    Last edited by Belthasar; 2011-02-26 at 12:26 AM.
    ===================

My posting will be considerably slower from now on and during some months. Sorry about the inconveniences!

Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-12
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-17

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

The Bazaar
    Some of the things the entertaining man is selling have uses aside from their intended purpose. A subtle-smelling copper liquid which he claims is a perfume is actually the extract of a Desert Rose, a powerful magical reagent. In addition, the blue liquid he claims is imported from the frozen savages of the southlands may not have come that far, but it does appear to gain its scent from an undertone of magical Fundamental Ice. Finally, the most expensive bottle for sale is a pink liquid in an elaborately shaped bottle. He claims that it is a powerful anaesthetic, but Amirah can tell from the smell that it's properties are of a more magical nature, though it certainly does make her a teeny bit drowsy to sniff it. Medinah recongizes the magic signature - its a teleportation effect (a Fey Step Potion). The rest of the items are rather mundane, but they come in all sorts of colours, shapes, sizes and smells.

Mechanics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Desert Rose:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Growing only in remote desert oases, this yellow flower helps to maintain arcane and divine powers.
    Price: 100 gp
    Reagent
    Power (Consumable): Free Action. Expend this reagent when you use a arcane or divine power of up to 5th level. You do not need to use an action on the following round to sustain that power (sustaining it for subsequent rounds does require the appropriate action).

Fundamental Ice:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Immobilize your enemies with powers enhanced by this unmelting ice from the Southern Wastes.
    Price: 200 gp
    Reagent
    Power (Consumable): Free Action. Expend this reagent when you use a power with the cold keyword of up to 7th level. One target hit is also immobilized (save ends). This reagent has no effect if the power already immobilizes the target.

Fey Step Potion:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Encapsulated in a tiny vial of blown glass, this pink liquid lightly effervesces when uncorked and releases a sweet-smelling spray. Drinking the sour stuff grants the power to teleport.
    Price: 200 gp
    Potion
    Power (Consumable * Teleportation): Minor Action. After consuming this potion, you can use a move action to teleport up to 5 squares before the end of your next turn. If you consume another fey step potion before the end of the encounter or before 5 minutes elapses (whichever comes first), you teleport 2 fewer squares than the last dose allowed you to teleport.

Scalytown
    Hakhpur finds out little about the Merchant's Guild in this district. Though the magic shadow of Qamar sugar-coats his tongue, the locals seem disinclined to talk to him much. He learns, however, that he has already passed their assembly hall by the time he reaches Centre Circle Street. The kind old kobold who tells him this directs him back the way his came and instructs him to turn right when he reaches Inner Circle Street. You cannot miss it, my friend! he says with enthusiasm.
    Last edited by Shadow_Elf; 2011-02-26 at 12:31 AM.
    My Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #13

OldWizardGuy

HAKHPUR

"Thank you for your time," replies Hakhpur with a dry, yet respectful bow before continuing his path. He follow the instructions of the old kobold, and soon -in a corner of the Inner Circle Street- he finds a building.

"This should be the Guild," he mumbles as he silently approaches it...

Spoiler
    Show
    I guess I'll wait for a brief description of the building before acting. Is it public or more like a secret society?
    Last edited by Belthasar; 2011-02-26 at 12:41 AM.
    ===================

Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-12
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-17

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Inner Circle Street
    The Guildhouse is far more ornate than any of the nearby buildings, though it is clearly outclassed by the distant Sultan's Palace, whose silhouette Hakhpur can see even here. The building is quite public, and no one opposes his entry - what does he do next?
    My Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Medinah

Swept up by her friend's enthusiasm, Medinah allowed herself to suspend her intended objective for the moment and enjoy the spectacle of Amirah shopping, and even examined a few trinkets herself here and there--though if truth be told this was all more informative than entertaining to the Warforged, ever curious as to how a "normal woman" should be. The irony that Amirah isn't a "normal woman" either has not escaped her.

"Thank you, Amirah, I am glad for your company. I hope you are finding the items you wished to purchase," she replies telepathically, hoping to convey some of these feelings before getting to the heart of the matter. "As for myself, will you please inquire of the merchant whether he sells goods of a more military aspect? Specifically, I am looking for a crossbow, preferably two."

Spoiler
    Show

Re: Amirah seeing through the illusion, that's perfectly fine and the way you described that is really cool, though she would have seen Medinah's true form aboard the ship at least a few times.
    Last edited by Dacia Brabant; 2011-02-26 at 01:07 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16

OldWizardGuy

HAKHPUR

The gnoll enters the building. If there's a guard or a clerk nearby, he'll clear his throat and ask some basic information:

"Please, excuse my abrupt interrupt. I'm a traveler from the eastern shore, and I wish to know what are the prerrequisites to enter your noble guild, who should I talk to, what are the benefits, and what can I contribute with if I'm accepted."

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy check to demonstrate proper etiquette: (1d20+20)[29]
    ===================

Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-12
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-17

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Medinah View Post
    "Thank you, Amirah, I am glad for your company. I hope you are finding the items you wished to purchase," she replies telepathically, hoping to convey some of these feelings before getting to the heart of the matter. "As for myself, will you please inquire of the merchant whether he sells goods of a more military aspect? Specifically, I am looking for a crossbow, preferably two."

Spoiler
    Show

Re: Amirah seeing through the illusion, that's perfectly fine and the way you described that is really cool, though she would have seen Medinah's true form aboard the ship at least a few times.
    "Crossbows?" Amirah's voice sounds genuinely confused. "I don't think funny man has any boring ugly wood things. But I'm sure he knows where we can find some."

Amirah then sends a light thought. "Mr. Purple Shop, I'll take this three bottles. They are so pretty! But my friend, she doesn't like pretty glass. She wants crossbows. She has the strangest taste in toys. But I like her anyway. She is fun! Where could we find some crossbows?"

She passes over some coins for the bottles, and gathers those she has liked the most - although none of the magical ones really catch her eye.

Spoiler
    Show
    First two potions I can't use, last one, while intriguing, I'm unlikely to find a use for. I'm not good with consumables.

Also, assuming that shopkeeper gives us directions, I'm OK with Medinah taking over the shopping trip and "speaking through Amirah" should she need to.

Re: seeing through the illusion. Yes, I would imagine that Medinah does drop the disguise completely on occasions (the intimidation value alone would be worth it), but it was more establishing the limitations of the dweomer - a high enough passive insight will see through it, and I find it cool that in those cases, the insightful person actually sees both at the same time (idea cribbed from Eddings, btw). And of course, it doesn't hide texture, it only fools the eyes.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

The Merchant's Guild
    A lizardman clerk takes Hakhpur's question. It is not often we see travelers from so far away! Greetings, my friend. The lizardman is mild-mannered, polite and sounds genuinely helpful. If you wish to join the Merchant's Guild, there is a prescribed process. You must show us some credentials, of course - evidence that you would be a productive addition to the Guild. Once we have those, the higher-ups will review your application. If you are accepted, you will enter the Guild as a Peddler. With good standing and productive contributions, you can be subsequently promoted to Journeyman, Tradesman, and even possibly Broker, though not many have the skill to climb that high... each subsequent tier has more responsibilities within the Guild. Overseeing all is the great Guild-Master, The Most Holy and Honourable Zaman Abdul of the Divine Assembly.

The Bazaar
    The gaudily dressed man doesn't even realize that the communication was telepathic - he thought she said it aloud. Ah, most excellent choices, young miss. I admire your discerning eye and fine taste! Crossbows, you say? Hmm, I, of course, would not deal in so coarse and blunt a tool of war. If you are looking for more dazzling specimens of the finest workmandship and quality, then you must go to Qurab's Metal and Glass Works, on the other side of our fine city, in Scalytown near the Outer Circle Street. If you wish to purchase a more mundane armament, your most beautiful companion might find something to her liking right here in the Market Square.
    Last edited by Shadow_Elf; 2011-02-26 at 01:24 AM.
    My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #19

OldWizardGuy

HAKHPUR in the Merchant's Guild

"Thank you, honorable clerk," replies Hakhpur. "I have plenty experience in the merchant profession, but I'm afraid I don't have any credentials yet. To tell you the truth, I'm a crew member of a special sea patrol that soon will be approved by the Sultan himself. Our journey will probably be a long one, so we'll be needing supplies often."

He pauses for a while and lowers (and softens) his voice a little. "I think that supplying our vessel would be easier if we could count with the Muarzibet Merchant's Guild's support, since you must have contact with many ports in the sea. In exchange, I could contribute with the trade (buy or sell) in every port we reach, since I'm pretty confident in my skills."

He finally adds: "I'm not asking for an economical support, just a nominative one. If I can still sign a special application, I'll gladly do it. What do you say, my friend?"
    Last edited by Belthasar; 2011-02-26 at 01:45 AM.
    ===================

Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-12
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-17

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Medinah

"Thank you again, Amirah. Mundane armament is all that I require, so it will not be necessary for us to leave the Market Square."

With a slight smile and a nod to the gaudy merchant, Medinah gestures for Amirah's hand and proceeds through the square seeking a reputable-looking arms dealer who might have two-handed crossbows, the sturdier the better.

Spoiler
    Show

it was more establishing the limitations of the dweomer - a high enough passive insight will see through it, and I find it cool that in those cases, the insightful person actually sees both at the same time (idea cribbed from Eddings, btw). And of course, it doesn't hide texture, it only fools the eyes.
    Ah, I see. I did know about the tactile limit of the illusion (if we ever reach Epic I'm going to quest for one that covers both touch and sound as well as sight), but I wasn't aware of that about a high passive Insight, good to know.
    Last edited by Dacia Brabant; 2011-02-26 at 02:52 AM. Reason: typo

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    Shooed along by Kalam, Kihtsah finds Rahman amoung the other hunters, "The City of God, huh? You've been here before, friend, haven't you? Any sights worth seeing?"
    Rahman Shamis, Kobold Swordmage

"Hmm, was just passing through, really." Rahman said. "Always had someplace better to be. This time I heard there was a plague that needed curing, but I guess some others had that fixed up before I got here, River comfort them." As Rahman talked, he continued to apply cloth wrappings over both of his forearms. It was his standard go-to disguise to cover up his metal arm. Once the local folk knew he was an alchemist, and maybe an accidental or intentional scorching later and the wrappings didn't attract much unwanted suspicion. People knew he was hiding their appearance, but most assumed he was hiding a decent number of scars. A simple cloak with a high collar concealed the shoulder joint and completed what passed for a disguise. Rahman was not a good liar or a trickster, he'd gotten by so far by presenting himself truthfully as an alchemist, and nobody ever got around to prying into the more inconvenient aspects of his nature. "Heard any good tales? I'm not going to spend the day swinging loops from the rigging."
    Spoiler
    Show

"Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2..."

"It all seemed harmless..."

Character Roster:

Ami Nakamura - Self Taught Sorceress [Sacramento Occult]

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Merchant's Guild
    The clerk shakes his head. I'm afraid I do not have the clout to make such an arrangement by myself, sir. This would have to go through a Tradesman's office, or perhaps a Broker's. But if you register the ship's name with me, I can file the paperwork that will get the arrangement in motion.

The Bazaar
    Medinah quite easily finds a man selling some decent-enough crossbows. There are no Superior or Repeating Crossbows for sale, and she thinks the Hand Crossbows might snap their strings if used with the bolts he sells for them, but the standard Crossbows seem to be of a hardy and durable craftsmanship.
    My Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #23

OldWizardGuy

HAKHPUR

"Fair enough," replies Hakhpur. "Let's fill the paperwork then!"
    ===================

Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-12
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-17

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

The Merchant's Guild
    The lizardman nods. Yes, well, I need the name of the ship to do that, sir, like I said.
    My Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #25

OldWizardGuy

HAKHPUR

"Right, right. The ship's name is The Midnight Mirage, under the charge of Captain Shaur al-Farid. I hope this info is plenty enough, good man."
    ===================

Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-12
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-17

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

The Merchant's Guild
    The lizardman clerk's eyes go wide. The Midnight Mirage is in port? Oh, wonderful! The Guild will be delighted to hear it! With a bow, the man rushes off, then seems to have a realization and comes back. Esteemed Hunter, I must surmise that you are new to Lady al-Farid's crew. She has had arrangements with our Guild for a very long time - Midnight Mirage always restocks at a discount wherever our Guild holds sway. It is the least we can do, for the services she provides. I will be back in a few minutes - some of our Peddlers and Journeymen have contracts for your Captain's perusal. One moment. With that, the clerk bustles away into the back of the building. A few minutes later, he returns with three rolled-up scrolls. If you could have Lady al-Farid review these contracts before the Midnight Mirage sets sail, we here at the Guild would be most appreciative. Is that all, Hunter?
    My Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #27

OldWizardGuy

HAKHPUR in the Merchant's Guild

You all should look at Hakhpur's puzzled face when the lizardfolk told him that Captain Shaur al-Farid already took care of everything!

He thought: "W-whaaat???! She already...??!"

But, he quickly regained his composture. "Heh, sincerely I feel relieved than my trip here was not a waste of time at all!" he says with a grin. "And you're right, I'm Hakhpur gar Mubrak, the new cadre mage of the Midnight Mirage. I should've supposed the Captain already made all preparatives beforehand, but anyways, I'll have her review the paperwork for you."

He continues as he takes the scrolls: "Yep, that's all I wanted. At least I made sure the Midnight Mirage counts with the Guild's noble support." he bows respectfully. "Thank you for your time, good clerk. I'll tell Lady al-Farid I was here."
    Last edited by Belthasar; 2011-02-26 at 01:54 PM.
    ===================

Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-12
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-17

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Merchant's Guild
    When Hakhpur says "cadre mage", the lizardman's eyes go wide with shock and a little fear, but he quickly regains his own composure. Yes, those contracts are for the capture of several notorious pirate captains who have been plaguing our members of late. Good day to you too, Hunter.

Hakhpur
    Spoiler
    Show
    You realize that, even though you are, in truth, one of al-Farid's mages, you probably shouldn't be letting on about that to everyone you meet. Magic is inherently untrusted, remember, and talking about your profession as a mage is the worst possible way to make friends. You're lucky it came out in an environment where the Captain is much-loved and unquestioned in her judgment.
    My Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_Elf View Post
    The Bazaar
    Medinah quite easily finds a man selling some decent-enough crossbows. There are no Superior or Repeating Crossbows for sale, and she thinks the Hand Crossbows might snap their strings if used with the bolts he sells for them, but the standard Crossbows seem to be of a hardy and durable craftsmanship.
    Amirah, Living Swarm

"So, now that you have your new toys, can we go find some honey? Or even mead? I haven't had mead in a moon. Can we? Can we?" comes the insistent thought as Medinah hefts her new weapons.

As they move around the bazaar, in search for a likely tavern, any people noticing the pair can only conclude that they must be a noblewoman's daughter, heavily veiled to preserve her virtue, and her bodyguard, to preserve everything else.

Spoiler
    Show
    I realised that that's exactly what they look like last night. In RL, a noblewoman would be followed by an eunuch, of course, but for some reason fantasy worlds tend to be more equalitarian

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Medinah

After checking over the equipment and paying the man, Medinah nods to Amirah's request.

"Yes, I am certain that we will find a dining establishment along either the eastern or western thoroughfares that connect to the market. Perhaps we should choose one where we would not likely attract attention to ourselves," she replies telepathically.

Spoiler
    Show

I marked off 52 GP for two crossbows and 2 sets of bolts.

The Broken Sign Inn seems the closest to the market, I'm guessing that'd be the one we'd go to?

And fantasy worlds tend to be more egalitarian since they're made by people living in an egalitarian age. Also, 6-foot-tall combat gynoids (female robots) are badass.
    Last edited by Dacia Brabant; 2011-02-26 at 04:05 PM.