New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 39 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [Hourglass of Zihaja D&D 4e] Heroes on a Sea of Swords IC

The Midnight Mirage
    The waters soak and buffet the archer once again. He manages to stay upright, but he comes out of every wave with more bruises than the last time. Two or three more such spells will probably overwhelm him.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

2. - Top - End - #542
    Bugbear in the Playground

Rahman Shamis, Kobold Swordmage

Rahman moved up to get in range of both of the remaining threats that he could deal with, wrapping his Aegis around the both of them while he mentally recalled Voice to his hand.

Crunch:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Move action to move to D15.
    Minor action to mark V and PE
    Standard action to recall the weapon via swordbond.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2..."

"It all seemed harmless..."

Character Roster:

Ami Nakamura - Self Taught Sorceress [Sacramento Occult]

3. - Top - End - #543
    Ogre in the Playground

Medinah

Medinah ascends the stairs and circles around toward the aft of the ship, her unblinking gaze never leaving Vertasi. Then, without warning, she launches forward, furiously swinging her blade at the Snake and calling out her charge, "For the Captain!"

Spoiler
    Show

Sorry for the delay, everyone.

No minor action.
    Move action to move to B20.
    Standard action to charge to C18, using Janissary Charge to C18 to gain 10 temp HP and attack with Eldritch Strike.

Con (weapon) vs. AC: (1d20+22)[37]
    (1d8+14)[21] psychic damage + (2d6)[5] curse damage + slide 1 square to C17 + Psychic Lock + Protective Hex.
    Currently playing: Jathal Darsha'an; Linie

4. - Top - End - #544
    Troll in the Playground

Kihtsah Darimil, Dervish of Adimas

Kihtsah hastily follows Vertasi up the stairs. "Well played pirate," he says, finally able to speak again, "but how do you like this trick?" Kihtsah strikes at a hole in Vertasi's defenses, showing Medinah how it's done. As he does so, the fury of battle causes his blood to burn once more, again giving off waves of heat.

Move: to C17
    Standard: Attack with leading strike
    Minor: Heart of Fire
    Spoiler
    Show
    Attacks vs AC:
    (1d20+18)[20]
    (1d20+18)[38]
    Damage:
    (1d7+19)[21]
    On hit, Medinah gets a +5 bonus to damage on her next damage roll against Vertasi.

Heal 27 HP from Heart of Fire.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Titan in the Playground

The Qius Sea - Midnight Mirage

As Rahman coils his aegis around the two foes on deck, Medinah and Kihtsah rush Vertasi, landing a number of well-placed swordstrokes. Teshiq lends healing to his allies, and the Hunters can see the fight go out of Vertasi's lying eyes. She puts her hands behind her head and sinks to her knees. I forfeit. You have the better of me, she says, spitting blood from her mouth. Alaq, drop your weapon. It's finished. The hand crossbow falls to the deck and breaks on impact. The Hunters hear a splash as the Pahari vanishes in the fog and jumps overboard.

Crunch:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here! Vertasi and Alaq have forfeit and the Enchantress has abandonned ship. You win!

Maps
    Spoiler
    Show
    No map right now, since I don't think you need it with the encounter over. If you'd like, I'll happily provide one, however. You've defeated Vertasi the Snake, Pirate Queen of Liars! What would you like to do now?

Player Status:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Amirah (A); 97/112 HP, 8/12 Surges, 10 THP,
    Kihtsah (K); 74/111 HP, 3/8 Surges, Menacing,
    Medinah (M); 86/105 HP, 8/13 Surges, +2 AC/Reflex,
    Rahman (R); 62/113 HP, 9/18 Surges, Warding Down
    Teshiq (T); 77/103 HP, 3/8 Surges
    Figment (F); 49/56 HP,
    Wolf (W); 0/51 HP, Dismissed
    Tiger (G); 0/51 HP, Dismissed

Enemy Status:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Female Human Pirate (P1);
    Lizardfolk Pirate (P2);
    Alaq, Human Mercenary (P3); Surrendered, Bloodied
    Male Human Pirate (P4);
    Gnoll Pirate (P5);
    Gnoll Pirate (P6);
    Male Human Pirate (P7);
    Gnoll Pirate (P8);
    Male Human Pirate (P9);
    Lizardfolk Pirate (P10);
    Male Human Pirate (P11);
    Female Human Pirate (P12);
    Qurab Benu'alas (Q);
    Sheloq, Oni Decoy (S);
    Vertasi, Pirate Queen of Liars (V); Surrendered, Bloodied
    Gnoll Pirate (P17);
    Lizardfolk Pirate (P33 - Former);
    Male Human Pirate (P28);
    Female Human Pirate (P42);
    Female Human Pirate (P61);
    Gnoll Pirate (P57);
    Gnoll Pirate (P33);
    Male Human Pirate (P86);
    Lizardfolk Pirate (P49);
    Gnoll Pirate (P91); Aegis (R) Routed
    Male Human Pirate (P73);
    Pahari Enchantress (PE); Escaped

Known Information:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Zastraya Vertasi seems to be able to swap her appearance and position with those of her allies. And her enemies too! Active Insight checks can tell you where she really is and isn't.
    My Homebrew
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

6. - Top - End - #546
    Troll in the Playground

Kihtsah smiles as he calms down, his flames flicking out. "Wise choice, better to challenge the courts than us."

He seems to become distracted though, leaving the clean up to the other hunters. Walking back to the prow, he stops in front of Qurab and considers the barely breathing lizardfolk. "How I wish I could change what happened in Alaqur, but it is too late for that now. Blood was spilled, and nothing can be done to change that. Still, if you had simply sought out vengeance on myself, I would have argued for leniency for you. But you went beyond that, joining these pirates and striking at a crew that had nothing to do with us."

7. - Top - End - #547
    Titan in the Playground

Qurab
    The lizardfolk gives him a toothy grin. I'll get no leniency from Limalia, no matter how you vouch for me, Kihtsah Darimil, he jokes, coughing up some blood. I go now to her reckoning, not to the courts... he adds, coughing some more. His scaly claws grasp the amulet at his neck. My hatred fueled the powers of this amulet, but I no longer hate you, he mutters, extending his reptilian hand to offer Kihtsah the jewelry piece. Perhaps... its heathen magic shall serve you better, honoured foe. If some day, any of my clutchmates challenge you seeking vengeance... tell them this... "Mobi uwi tiichi persvech waphir; marfedelom uwi ihk faessiri". They will know its meaning... The light fades from the lizardman's eyes as he gives up the will to live, his message delivered.
    My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #548
    Titan in the Playground

Amirah, Living Swarm

Figment takes a couple of swipes at the retreating Pahari, and Amirah jumps after her in an effort to stop her from fleeing, but following the water spirit in her native element proves impossible. Amirah, too, is soon distracted by wonderful feeling of swimming, and by the shiny things dropping from the cadavers of the pirates. Amirah starts zooming around the ship, picking at the bodies and anything she can see floating or sinking in the vicinity. Her crocodile soon joins her in the effort, bringing her the heavier items in his powerful jaws.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, I know the croc would have vanished at some point in the extended fight. Still, as the only summon to have survived its fight with few injuries, I'm sure it can be allowed that he sticks around to help.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

9. - Top - End - #549
    Troll in the Playground

As Qurab's breathes his last breath, Kihtsah takes the offered amulet. He reaches forward and closes Qurab's eyes after a moment of silence. His mind turns back to the matter at hand, righting the ship, and he goes below decks to check on the crew.
    Last edited by Reverent-One; 2012-05-31 at 09:44 PM.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Titan in the Playground

The Qius Sea - Below the Midnight Mirage
    Amirah finds a number of baubles and shiny coins, as well as mundane armaments such as cutlasses, rapiers and daggers, all of which will be of some modest value when the ship next makes port. She also sees something heavy glinting deep down, and scurries to get it. She comes across Sheloq's morningstar, and she has the crocodile retrieve it. From this, she senses a magical aura, though not a strong one; she'll need to look at it better later.

It is then that a certain absence occurs to her. Though her crocodile returned from the fight with the sharks, Hakhpur did not. Having finished collecting her weapons, trinkets and baubles, she goes back to the scene of the previous fight. She counts the correct number of shark corpses, but sees no sign of the gnoll sorcerer.

The Midnight Mirage - Belowdecks
    Kihtsah descends into the brig, where he finds Captain al-Farid, Mate One-Eye and Chef Duke bound and gagged. The sleek but unconscious form of the ship's quartermaster, Kalam Delat, sits slumped beside the others. Kihtsah assumes that the rest of the crew was deemed undeserving of the comfort of the brig and stuffed in the cargo hold.
    My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #551
    Troll in the Playground

Kihtsah heads over the crew members in the brig and begins cutting their bounds if possible, starting with the captain. He can't resist being a bit of fun though. "Tsk tsk. That Vertasi has no idea how to treat her guests, huh? You'll have to provide a proper example, won't you, ma'am?"

12. - Top - End - #552
    Titan in the Playground

Captain al-Farid
    The captain smiles her fanged grin. Well done, Kihtsah. Don't worry, I'll make sure that he has the utmost comfort... wait, she? Have I missed something?
    My Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #553
    Troll in the Playground

"Ah yes, she likes her trickery. Turns out she was using a decoy and playing as one of the pirates. We have her and one of her men captured now, the rest dead or fled."

14. - Top - End - #554
    Ogre in the Playground

Medinah

Not trusting Vertasi one iota--and with Kihtsah departing to check on his nemesis before going belowdecks--Medinah sets about securing her prized captive. After removing any weaponry the Snake might have at her disposal, the Warforged woman cuts the rope off her boarding crossbow and proceeds to tie up, gag and drag the pirate queen over to the mainmast, which she lashes her to. She does likewise with Alaq, once he comes down, lashing him to the opposite side of the mast from Vertasi.

In all of this, she goes about her work in silent, businesslike fashion, tying each and every knot firmly and securely but making sure not to completely cut off their circulation. Once secured, she searches their persons for any items of note, and does the same with the corpses on deck.
    Last edited by Dacia Brabant; 2012-06-01 at 12:44 AM.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Titan in the Playground

Captain al-Farid
    Have you found a method of subduing this "trickery", asks the Captain, standing and stretching while Kihtsah works on One-Eye's bonds. I won't have her escaping us now that we've got her.

Vertasi
    The pirate glares at Medinah, but submits to her ministrations.
    My Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #556
    Titan in the Playground

Amirah, Living Swarm

Much of what Amirah dutifully collects is dull and boring - metals like iron or gold - but she thinks of it as pollen, that must be collected so she can change it into beautiful honey and gems. Once she and the crocodile have combed the waters for a few minutes, she thanks the creature, opens a portal so he can return to its own waters, and pushes her way up to the surface.

A quick call to Figment later, she laboriously climbs a rope to the deck. "I didn't see Hakhpur," she announces to the allies left above deck, her thoughts unworried - but then, she never has worried over males' fates. Seeing Medinah working on Vertasi, she sends her a private thought, "You should close her eyes too. If she attempts to switch bodies again, she might need to see the body she intends to steal" Amirah's thought to Medinah sounds small and worried, and although it clearly has nothing to do with Vertasi - Amirah's thoughts regarding her are carefree as can be with an enemy that barely managed to hurt Amirah - there is definitely something worrying her.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

17. - Top - End - #557
    Ogre in the Playground

Medinah

Medinah pauses to consider Amirah's unspoken request, then sends back I do not believe she is capable of teleporting again, as she did not do so when we had cornered her. But, if it will relieve you of your concern, I will do as you request... She cuts strips of cloth off one of the corpse's clothing and ties them around the prisoners' eyes, whether they protest or not. But then she turns back, her brow uncommonly furrowed, something in Amirah's mental voice finally triggering with her internal senses.

...No, that is not your concern. Amirah, what is the matter? Is there something we overlooked securing the vessel?
    Last edited by Dacia Brabant; 2012-06-01 at 02:34 PM.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Titan in the Playground

Captain al-Farid
    With no answer immediately forthcoming from Kihtsah, the captain turns to One-Eye. Kaal, take Kihtsah and Duke down to the cargo hold and release the crew. I want the wind in our sails as soon as we can; we've got to make it to Luardo before something else goes wrong on this mission. She turns from the three in the brig and makes her way up to the main deck, smiling as she enters the sunlight. Hunters, well done. I expected nothing less than the best from you, and you've delivered. She walks up to Vertasi. I am really tempted to just suck you dry, bitch, for taking advantage of my hospitality like that. However, your bounty is for a living pirate, so I suppose I will have to contain my thirst, says the dhampyr, her voice dripping menace. Gagged and blindfolded as she is, Vertasi gives no manner of reply. Tend to your wounds, Hunters, and put whatever weapons and coinage you've confiscated in the hold. Then I want you in the map room for a briefing. Teshiq, when you're done up here, I'd like you to take a look at Master Delat. He seems to have succumbed to the sleeping venom used by their crossbowman.

Teshiq
    As you wish, captain.
    My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #559
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scylfing View Post
    Medinah

...No, that is not your concern. Amirah, what is the matter? Is there something we overlooked securing the vessel?
    Amirah, Living Swarm

"You were... so angry before. When I hit you with my wave. I was only trying to help." Amirah's voice is even smaller than before. "And you are my best friend ever, even better friend than Qalil, and I am afraid."

It is sometimes easy to forget that for a being that commands great powers and is absurdly strong in battle, They are less than five years old and have spent most of Their life running from danger. Even now, the swarm seems to be fighting the urge to run and hide.

---

Amirah is flowing into clothes by the time the captain starts giving them instructions. "We are mostly unharmed, and my friends are all recovering, Captain!Queen," she projects, "will you need Us to call upon strong winds to push the Midnight Mirage?"

Figment is indeed licking her wounds near Amirah, and is looking much recovered.
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2012-06-01 at 07:08 PM.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Ogre in the Playground

Medinah

Medinah blinks, a telltale sign of her processing new information (and, in this case, suppressing the inner hellfire of her soul).

"... I see. Amirah, I did not intend to frighten you, for that I apologize," she says after a long pause, then in an unusual gesture for her she reaches out and embraces her friend. "I will do my best never to cause you pain again. I trust you will do the same."

Later, after the Captain made her appearance, Medinah went to stand before her and bow her head in supplication. "Captain Shaur, please accept my apologies for permitting you, your ship and crew to fall into the enemy's hands for even a moment."
    Last edited by Dacia Brabant; 2012-06-02 at 11:45 AM.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Titan in the Playground

Captain al-Farid
    The captain places her hand on the warforged's shoulder. I fell for Vertasi's deception, same as you, Medinah. I ordered you to go to that ship; the fault is not yours, she says, giving a fanged grin. She turns to Amirah. Amirah, you may cast your spell once Kihtsah and Kaal are done liberating the crew and we've gone our rigging in order, she says. Rahman and Amirah parcel up the confiscated items, isolating the magical equipment, and Teshiq proceeds below to tend to Kalam.
    My Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #562
    Titan in the Playground

Amirah, Living Swarm

Amirah takes a few minutes to climb to the crow's nest, to make sure that it is not too befouled, and then pretty much just hangs around waiting for the rest of the crew to get back on its feet. She wanders to the pile of confiscated magical objects. She considers the wand, shaking it a few times, but doesn't manage to get it to work. Then she spots the shoes. She slips her 'legs' from her own boots into them and appreciates how the magic helps her walk. It still looks somewhat off, but it is much more bipedal than her usual ghostly moves. "I think they would look good on you, Medinah," she projects, much happier now that Medinah has assured her she still is her friend "they are girly but soooo easy to wear. "

Spoiler
    Show
    The boots are appropriate for anyone, really. Since I get a lot of traction from being next to Figment, I'll be happy to use them if no-one else wants them, but I'll happily pass them over to the defenders if they feel they need protection from slides.

Never mind, I just checked and remembered I have the fencing boots already. Hmmm... I think I prefer the certainty of +1AC per turn.
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2012-06-04 at 07:18 PM.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Bugbear in the Playground

Rahman Shamis, Kobold Swordmage

"And of course, I could always make them into something functional as well if that is your intent." Rahman said as he studied the other items. "With some time I might be able to do a few things with the weapons. I might be able to bind one of the enchantments from the first ship onto my weapon." he said. "I have a few things to follow up on during the trip back as well."
    Spoiler
    Show

"Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2..."

"It all seemed harmless..."

Character Roster:

Ami Nakamura - Self Taught Sorceress [Sacramento Occult]

24. - Top - End - #564
    Titan in the Playground

The Midnight Mirage
    Kihtsah, Kaal and Duke free the crew, and after congratulations and pats on the back, the crew is back up on deck and getting the ship ready to sail. Have we got a heading, captain? asks the navigator, as he takes the wheel.

Luardo, Hakim, with all speed. I want to be rid of the Snake as soon as we can. She turns to Amirah. You can cast your wind magic later, Amirah dear. I want to talk. The Hunters enter the map room below the bow deck with Kaal and the Captain; Teshiq is still belowdecks tending Kalam, so neither is in attendance.

The Map Room
    All right, Hunters, there's a few things I'd like to know. First things first; where in Limalia's name is Hakhpur?
    Last edited by Shadow_Elf; 2012-06-05 at 08:59 AM.
    My Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #565
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_Elf View Post
    The Midnight Mirage
    The Map Room
    All right, Hunters, there's a few things I'd like to know. First things first; where in Limalia's name is Hakhpur?
    Amirah, Living Swarm

Amirah shrugs her 'shoulders' and answers "We don't know. He stayed behind to fight the water-witch's sharks with crocodile, and when We went back in the sea later, he was no longer there. Crocodile lost sight of him." She doesn't sound very concerned.
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2012-06-05 at 10:35 PM.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Troll in the Playground

"Yes, he stayed to hold off the pahari's minions. We should do what we can to search for him, it's the least we can do."
    Kihtsah says solemnly.
    Last edited by Reverent-One; 2012-06-05 at 10:43 PM.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Titan in the Playground

Captain al-Farid
    She frowns. He was a good Hunter, if a little strange. If Amirah has already checked the scene and found no trace of him, I doubt any of you will be able to. Trails are not so easily followed under water as they are on land, even for those who have elemental water in their blood, she says, speaking from experience. We can only pray for him to find safe harbor. That he did not come to the ship with Amirah's pet bodes ill, but he would have been among the sharks' corpses if he had been slain. Amirah, how much longer will your spell keep him alive beneath the waves?

Regardless of the swarm's answer, Shaur moves on, having decided that naught can feasibly be done for the missing Hunter. We sail for Luardo, where we will drop off our prisoners, collect our bounty and sell our haul. We need to pick a new target; I'd ask Kalam what the latest news from his whisperers is, but he's indisposed, so we'll make our heading without his counsel for now. As I see it, now that we've snagged the Snake, the contract with the Sultan of Muarzibet takes precedent. Have any of you any new ideas about that scroll? If not, we'll set our sails west and find ourselves some real snakemen to kill.
    My Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #568
    Titan in the Playground

Amirah, Living Swarm

Quote Originally Posted by Captain al-Farid View Post
    Amirah, how much longer will your spell keep him alive beneath the waves?
    "Our magic will protect him for a half-day. It has not been much more than an hour since We performed it, so some 11 more hours."

Quote Originally Posted by Captain al-Farid View Post
    Have any of you any new ideas about that scroll? If not, we'll set our sails west and find ourselves some real snakemen to kill.
    "We have not been able to read it. It gives Us a funny feeling all over" Amirah projects, her point being underlined by a sudden buzzing as the whole swarm shudders in memory of the strange magical "headaches" the text produced when over-studied. "We may need other examples of the same language to continue to work on it."

Amirah doesn't give an opinion on who to attack next. As far as she is concerned, wasps are wasps and they all need to be smoked anyway.
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2012-06-06 at 05:18 PM.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Troll in the Playground

Kihtsah offers no dissent from the Captain's plan. "I don't know anything else about at the moment, but we can look into the scroll more as we travel. We do seem to have no shortage of experts to examine it."

30. - Top - End - #570
    Titan in the Playground

The Map Room
    The Hunters and their captain decide that little can be decided before they've made port and had a chance to consult Kalam. They agree to reconvene before leaving Luardo, and the Hunters disperse to help the crew get the ship headed back to shore.
    My Homebrew