New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 39 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [Hourglass of Zihaja D&D 4e] Heroes on a Sea of Swords IC

Amirah, Living Swarm

Amirah gratefully leaves the meeting, and, after wheedling some rare herbs out of the quartermaster, laboriously crawls up to the crow's nest where she cuddles next to figment while drinking her last mead bottle. Once her strength is back, she stands in her little basket, and starts calling the winds, directing them to fill the sails and push them along. She spends a good ten minutes chanting with a thousand buzzing voices, and then a half hour making sure the dweomer is well established before calling out for a replacement.

Amirah then wanders around the ship, visiting Medinah to make sure she is ok - a small worry still lingering in Amirah's mind - and eventually finds herself next to Kitsah while he performs his own duties.

"So, the angry lizard man, was he a friend of yours?" she blurts out into his mind, "He seemed to want to cause you harm, but didn't sound much like a pirate!wasp."
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2012-06-08 at 10:15 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

2. - Top - End - #572
    Ogre in the Playground

Medinah

After the meeting wrapped up, Medinah went back out on deck and took up her post watching the prisoners. Aside from conversations with Amirah or anyone else who wished to talk, she spends much of the rest of the day cleaning, oiling and polishing her metallic exterior--hey, she had to get all of that crusty sea brine off of her, lest any barnacles unpleasantly take root--and meditating on how the events of the day had deepened her zealous devotion to the Captain. She was beginning to understand that she could rely on that strength just as much as the strange forces binding her soul to her mechanical body.

She also tried on Vertasi's boots. Medinah, being a warforged, had never been one for footwear, but Amirah was right that these looked good with her customary illusionary costume, and they were indeed easy to wear even for her.

--------

Later, after day had turned to night and presumably most of the crew now sound asleep, Medinah--back in her guise, and still tirelessly watching over the prisoners--walked over to Vertasi and removed her blindfold with the point of her sword.

"I thank you for the footwear. Regrettably I have none of my own to offer as compensation, but you will not be requiring them much longer," she said bluntly, before launching into her diatribe. "I am certain you have been considering your options for escape. You should conserve your energy for the torments that await you once we arrive at our destination instead, for I will not cease my watch over you until after you are dead. It was not until today that I finally understood the human need for inflicting such terrible, wasteful vengeance on a defeated enemy--I thank you for that as well. Do not be alarmed, I do not intend to torture you; rather I wish to offer you a way to avoid torture completely.

"Explain to me, truthfully, how you acquired the ability to alter your form so convincingly. Do this and I promise you, after we receive your bounty I will grant you as swift and painless a death as possible. I will do so immediately, forgoing the bounty for a living Vertasi, if you also truthfully explain to me who is Raven, why he hired you to capture the Captain and why it is he wants her."

Sword still very much in hand, she removes Vertasi's gag.

Spoiler
    Show

So since there was no objection, I'll take the boots. Also, I included that bit about Medinah meditating on the day to explain her taking the theme power, Janissary Zeal, as her level 10 utility.

I'm guessing for this to work I'll need to roll Intimidate: (1d20+16)[27]
    Last edited by Dacia Brabant; 2012-06-09 at 03:10 PM.
    Currently playing: Jathal Darsha'an; Linie

3. - Top - End - #573
    Titan in the Playground

Vertasi
    The Luardans are said to be lenient punishers; Illudai do not torture criminals, but give them justice plainly. I shall have the swift death you promise, regardless of its dealer. And so I offer you a different deal; I will tell you the secrets of my magic, if you swear upon your Captain's life that the Luardans shall have me alive, returns the pirate as her gag is removed.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

4. - Top - End - #574
    Ogre in the Playground

Medinah

Not being privy to the ways of Luardan justice, Medinah's in no position to argue the point. Nonetheless, she's not ready to concede the terms.

"And what of Raven?" she inquires.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Titan in the Playground

Vertasi
    The Queen of Liars smiles sweetly. My King will mourn the loss of his dear queen, but the Corsairs will not stop in mourning long. King Raven already hates your precious captain; when the Luardans have hanged me, it will only add more to that hatred. His Grace will come for you and your precious Midnight Mirage, and you shall all lose your heads. But it will be of little comfort to me, as I will be dead. I failed him; though he will regret my loss, he will not risk himself to save a failure. I know him, and have accepted my fate. So I ask again; if you wish to have my secret, you must swear your oath.
    My Homebrew
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

6. - Top - End - #576
    Ogre in the Playground

Medinah

Medinah gives the pirate queen as close to a look of pity as her illusory face could manage, seeing in her an intense devotion to a leader-figure (and probably something more) that she could appreciate, were it not bestowed so blindly upon such an unworthy person. Doubtless she would go to her grave before betraying this "King Raven."

"It is unfortunate that your fate was to become a pirate rather than a hunter of pirates. I am certain you would have made an excellent comrade," she offered genuinely, but then her look turned grave. "Therefore you must understand why I cannot swear such an oath, just as you would never swear upon the life of your king. I will see you delivered alive into the arms of justice, and I will witness you hang for your crimes, but I will not tolerate any bargaining on my Captain's head. If I must continue with this... simple disguise until discovering better means to walk unnoticed amongst humankind, so be it."

Unless Vertasi has anything more to say, Medinah then replaces the gag and blindfold on Vertasi and resumes her guard.
    Last edited by Dacia Brabant; 2012-06-09 at 09:42 PM.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Titan in the Playground

Vertasi
    I am the Queen of Lies, Medinah. I would swear upon the life of my King if it were an oath I intended to keep; any other vow I made would be meaningless. I see your devotion to your captain; I am a mistrustful sort by nature, and so I asked for the one oath I knew you would keep. If you've no interest in my secrets, so be it; it likely will not change what happens with me, she replies. If Medinah still decides to blindfold and gag her at this point, she does not resist.
    My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #578
    Ogre in the Playground

Medinah

Medinah blinks, then nods in understanding.

"I see... That is agreeable; you have my promise, just as you have requested," she says, swearing the oath--rationalizing it to herself since the plan was to deliver Vertasi alive to the authorities anyway. "Now, please explain your power to exchange forms."

9. - Top - End - #579
    Titan in the Playground

Vertasi
    The pirate smiles. Well, my powers are derived from a tattoo, she says. I would gesture towards my side, where the tattoo is, but as I have been lashed to your mast, I cannot. The Snake is not just a nickname the common people gave me; The Snake is the symbol of the Pirate Queen of Liars, and I derive my powers from it. The woman laughs. Perhaps, when I am dead, you can convince His Grace to take you on as his queen; then you shall have my powers of deception.
    My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #580
    Ogre in the Playground

Medinah

Unamused, Medinah shakes her head.

"I do not anticipate that will ever happen, however I thank you for the information," she replies, before replacing the pirate queen's blindfold and gag and returning to her guardpost.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Troll in the Playground

Kihtsah Darimil, Dervish of Adimas

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    "So, the angry lizard man, was he a friend of yours?" she blurts out into his mind, "He seemed to want to cause you harm, but didn't sound much like a pirate!wasp."
    Kihtsah winces slightly at this direct line of questioning, but recovers quickly. "Friend? No, how many friends have you seen trying to kill each other? I don't think he was typical pirate scum though. No, it was personal. I crossed paths with one of his clutchmates before, and he did not survive the encounter." He says with regret and looks away.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kihtsah View Post
    "Friend? No, how many friends have you seen trying to kill each other? I don't think he was typical pirate scum though. No, it was personal. I crossed paths with one of his clutchmates before, and he did not survive the encounter." He says with regret and looks away.
    Amirah, Living Swarm

Amirah is silent for a few long seconds - quickly becoming somewhat uncomfortable - before she answers, "Fifty six. Sixty three if I count the ones that looked ready to kill each other but got knocked out by other friends before they could accomplish it. Why? Is that not normal?"
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

13. - Top - End - #583
    Troll in the Playground

"No, not really. Normally friends get along better than that." Kihtsah answers slowly.

14. - Top - End - #584
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post

"No, not really. Normally friends get along better than that." Kihtsah answers slowly.
    Amirah, Living Swarm

"Yes, and then they get drunk, or don't like how many of the shiny pebbles they get, or they think the other shouldn't have the cutlass, and then they knife each other. Then they calm down, and those that are still alive go back to being friends. Don't take this as criticism, but you humans seem to die very easily. I guess that is why I was created."

Amirah's voice is plaintive. As far as she has been able to determine, that is precisely how humans relate to one another. Pleasantly and friendly when sober, murderous when drunk. It certainly has been a constant in both pirate and pirate hunter ships, not to mention any number of taverns over the moons she has been awake to the world.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Troll in the Playground

"Ah, I see. You've seen the worst of people, haven't you? I wouldn't call people like that truly friends. I, for one, would never stab you over a share of some shiny baubles." Kithsah says, trying to reassure Amirah. "And just for the record, I don't have a drop of human blood in me."

16. - Top - End - #586
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post

"Ah, I see. You've seen the worst of people, haven't you? I wouldn't call people like that truly friends. I, for one, would never stab you over a share of some shiny baubles." Kithsah says, trying to reassure Amirah. "And just for the record, I don't have a drop of human blood in me."
    Amirah, Living Swarm

"Oh. Sorry. All vertebrates look the same to me." She wiggles uncomfortably, her thoughts filling with shame. "The pirates and mariners seemed friendly. When they sang, for example. How could I tell? Though I've noticed they don't seem to think much of each other's mothers. Was that a clue?" Her thoughts on the very idea of not respecting every mother are strongly negative at this point, "But yay, I'm so glad you wouldn't take my pretty glass from me. One pirate tried once. Tiger et him."

17. - Top - End - #587
    Bugbear in the Playground

Rahman Shamis, Kobold Swordmage

A short while after the battle, Rahman goes to speak with the captain. "If I may, Captain, I have had some time to finish pursuing a hunch or two with some of my notes from the Mushayar university. Do you have a moment?"
    Spoiler
    Show

"Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2..."

"It all seemed harmless..."

Character Roster:

Ami Nakamura - Self Taught Sorceress [Sacramento Occult]

18. - Top - End - #588
    Titan in the Playground

Captain al-Farid
    Absolutely, Sage Shamis. Walk with me. What would you like to discuss? replies the Captain as she strolls the deck.
    My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #589
    Bugbear in the Playground

Rahman Shamis, Kobold Swordmage

"The scroll's components are quite similar to the royal ciphers that can be found in some of the ancient imperial records." Rahman said, his voice starting to slip into the tone that would imply he was about to engage in scholarly debate. "I do not, however happen to have a copy of the actual cipher available, and could only make guesses and inferences from the information available."

"However,"he said as he continued his hurried steps to maintain pace with the captain. "Records from the era around the third crown war place a group of archmages missing in action near a cave complex from the cite of a large battle. With some time I might be able to determine a location on current maps, and we may be able to retrieve a proper cipher with which to decode the spell."
    Spoiler
    Show

"Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2..."

"It all seemed harmless..."

Character Roster:

Ami Nakamura - Self Taught Sorceress [Sacramento Occult]

20. - Top - End - #590
    Titan in the Playground

Captain al-Farid
    That's an interesting prospect... and you're certain the ritual cannot be cast without such a cipher? Very well... if you can get me a geographical location for this treasure hunt, I'll give the Hunters permission to go ashore and investigate. Please have your findings ready for our meeting at Luardo, my friend, replies the captain, smiling her fanged grin. Good work, Rahman. I'm glad to have a scholar of your caliber aboard for things such as this.
    My Homebrew

21. - Top - End - #591
    Titan in the Playground

Luardo Port, Dhuqa, 33 of Teqir, AF 360
    As the Midnight Mirage glides into port, her sails are furled and her anchor is weighed as she is tethered to the dockside by the ship's crew. Shaur strides out on deck, Medinah and Kalam at her heels, to watch the mooring. When the ship is secured, the gangplank is laid and the crew departs the ship for a day in town. Kalam, see to your whisperers. I want to know what has happened in the weeks we've been at sea. Medinah, maintain your vigil on Vertasi until the Luardani arrive to carry her and her lackey away. After that, you've the freedom of the city if you like. We shall meet back here tonight to discuss our next move.

As the Hunters depart, Teshiq approaches the Captain. Captain al-Farid, if I may have a moment...

Of course, Teshiq. How can I help you?

I was hoping, by your leave, to... ah... leave the crew, ma'am. I worry for Hakhpur; Daq has shown me that he still lives, but I fear the gnoll has trouble walking the Third Way. I mean to find him and help him confront the shades that haunt him, Captain.

The captain doesn't appear to show shock at his request, but furrows her brow nonetheless. That is... unfortunate, for us. But you must do what you must do, Teshiq. Go on, then, with my blessing. Return this evening and your salary will be paid. I'll have Rahman marshall your herbs and materials...

The priest shakes his head. I have enough coin to make my own way, Captain. Take all of that, as my last gift to the crew. I will not need it on the road that I walk; Daq has shown me the way.

She smiles, and shakes the cleric's hand. Very well, Teshiq. May Limalia turn her scorn from your path. I wish you the best of luck. Find Hakhpur... and bring him safely back to shore, my friend.

With a bow and a melancholy smile, the priest departs.

Duke! I'm going to need a hand here...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Poster in the City of Luardo:
    The Midnight Mirage wants YOU! The Famed Pirate-Hunting Vessel of the beautiful and exotic Captain Shaur al-Farid needs brave souls with skill in combat or the healing arts! Medicine men, medics and magi welcome! The Midnight Mirage does not discriminate based on race, culture or profession; the ship is a safe haven for all its crew, and any submitting themselves to the interview process will not have their identities compromised in the event that the applicant is rejected. There's nothing to lose! What better way to serve the common good and get paid well doing it? Please visit the Midnight Mirage, currently weighing anchor in the harbor, for more details.
    I don't know, Duke. I think it might be a bit ... overenthusiastic?
    Nonsense, Captain! I assure you, a set of posters like this one will surely bring in the recruits you desire!
    Well, we'll give this a shot, I suppose. Go ahead, put up your posters.
    At once, Captain!
    As the slightly rotund chef departs, Shaur puts her face in her hands. I just hope we don't get a new crew at the cost of becoming the laughing stock of the pirate hunting world... she mumbles to herself.

- - - - - - - - - -

Within an hour of the Midnight Mirage's arrival, Qirusite dervishes arrive to carry Vertasi and Alaq away. Vertasi remains bound and blindfolded as she is lead off to the Luardan prisons to await her trial. Shaur and Medinah watch then lead the pirate away, and the captain jingles the hefty bounty given to them by the representative of the Merchant's Guild. Well done, Medinah. Your vigil is ended; you can go into town, if you like. I will be interviewing possible recruits today for replacing Teshiq and Hakhpur. You can stay and attend those interviews, if you want.
    My Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #592
    Titan in the Playground

Amirah, Living Swarm

Amirah is putting the last touches on her dress, making sure the swarm is perfectly covered when she hears Medinah being given leave. With Figment still by her side, she approaches the group and diffidently asks, "Will you be going ashore, Medinah? I need to buy some more mead, but I can wait for you if you will need me to talk for you. I would feel safer if you came, too - I'm not sure if the people of the hive!city will like Figment."

Figment uses this time to purr, before sitting and using a tentacle to clean herself behind the ears.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Titan in the Playground

Captain al-Farid
    Amirah, I think it is unwise to take your pet into town. It will not be well-received. Can you not dismiss it back to its own home for the nonce?
    My Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #594
    Titan in the Playground

Amirah, Living Swarm

"Awwww... but Figment wanted to see the town" Amirah pouts. "But yes, I can if you say so, Captain!Queen"

Amirah crouches and talks to Figment, who mews back unhappily. It takes some doing, but eventually Amirah opens a portal and Figment slips out of sight.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Jalil Farun, Air Elementalist

Standing in the shade of an awning a woman looked over the ships moored at the dock. Her long wrap was light and tan, cinched at the waist with a crimson sash though the rest billowed out around her, her dark hair concealed beneath her hood. Gold and silver bracelets dangled from her hand as she guarded her eyes against the suns glare coming off the water, a heavy traveling bag on the ground next to her. Another voyage...let's hope the crew is stronger than the last.

Picking up her bag and carrying it on her right shoulder she left he shade and walked out to the docks, glancing at the names of the ships and ignoring the stares from the sailors and laborers. What a squalid little place. Very impressed with their great tower and forgotten all manners. She frowned at two sailors as they passed, their clothes and bodies stained with sweat and salt from hard work and the sea. If they ever had them, that is.

Stopping in front of the Midnight Mirage she looked the ship over from stern to bow. This one at least seems sea worthy. She stands around for a few moments more, almost as if expecting someone to come out and announce her. Sighing, she shakes her head and raises her hand. "Captain of the Mirage! Permission to come aboard?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Chambers; 2012-06-13 at 02:48 PM.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Ogre in the Playground

Medinah

Medinah nodded in acknowledgement at the Captain's order, though even without it there's no way she would have let Vertasi get out of her sight before handing her and Alaq over to the authorities.

"Understood," she replied. Later, after the Quirusites had relieved her of her burden--and she still watched them take her away as long as she could--Medinah again nodded to the Captain, although not before pausing at the mention of Teshiq's leaving. "Thank you, Captain Shaur. Yes, I will remain aboard to assist you with interviewing the replacements... Amirah, if you can wait until this task is completed I will join you for yours."

-----

When the call requesting to come aboard is heard, Medinah stands at the ready beside the Captain, but waits for her reply.

27. - Top - End - #597
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Medinah View Post
    "Amirah, if you can wait until this task is completed I will join you for yours."
    Amirah, Living Swarm

Amirah doesn't reply in words, but happy feelings flood their mental communication. Amirah calls back Figment, pulls out a long thread from a pocket, and starts playing with Figment while she waits.

-----

When the shout to come aboard comes, Amirah pokes her head over the railings and looks at the woman below. "Ooooh, new person," she projects to those on board.
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2012-06-13 at 08:00 PM.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Titan in the Playground

Captain al-Farid
    The captain walks over to the rail. Aye, you've permission. May I ask your business here, madam? she replies, leaning over to look at the new arrival as she gestures towards the open gangplank. She smiles her fanged grin.
    My Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #599
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Jalil Farun

Walking up the gangplank Jalil doesn't bat an eye at the Captains obvious ancestry. "I'm replying to the instructions I saw on your flyer that's pasted around town." She says as she steps onto the deck. "I'm Jalil, of House Farun."

Shifting the bag to her other shoulder she looks around at the crew members on deck and offers a smile that doesn't quite reach her eyes. "Pleasure to meet you." Her gaze passes quickly over the group, briefly noting their appearances and demeanor as if forming a catalog to be used later.
    Last edited by Chambers; 2012-06-13 at 10:45 PM.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Titan in the Playground

Captain Shaur al-Farid
    My bodyguard, Medinah. One of my Hunters, Amirah. Please, Lady Farun, come to my cabin. It is not often I get to host a noblewoman, and rarer still for one to ask to join my crew. Amirah dear, could you ask Duke to prepare some spicy tea for me and our guest?

Shaur leads Jalil into her captain's quarters; they are the most lavish quarters on the ship, but still quite sparse. Medinah follows behind the two. Shaur sits down at her desk, and gestures to the seat across from her. Alright, Lady Farun. Let's start easy; why would a noblewoman such as yourself want to take up the dangerous life of a pirate hunter?
    My Homebrew