New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Hourglass of Zihaja D&D 4e] Heroes on a Sea of Swords IC

Medinah

It would be difficult for Medinah to describe the sensation of the Water Gift ritual's affects on her inorganic body, but she does enjoy feeling lighter and more mobile. She smiles in gratitude to Amirah before also leaping into the water on the far side.

Once submerged, she activates the ruby light on her brow to guide the way through the darkness of the deep.

Spoiler
    Show

I'll turn the light to dim first to see if that's enough for us to see, but if it isn't I'll turn it to bright.
    Currently playing: Jathal Darsha'an; Linie

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

Kihtsah Darimil, Dervish of Adimas

Looking over the edge, Kihtsah shudders, the heat radiating off his head growing over his concern for this course of action. "My least favorite part of this job. Water." He mutters. As the other Hunters head over the edge, he takes a deep breath to steady himself and follows them in.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

The Midnight Mirage
    The Captain nods. We will handle the distraction. Limalia's gaze be turned from you, Hunters, and happy hunting. She gestures to Kalam, and he nods and begins to order around various crew, to set up the flag signals. They don't start waving flags until about two minutes after the Hunters' departure. The first signals roughly convey "what is the nature of the damage?". The other ship moves into action, waving flags in return and a slow conversation begins between the two ships. A few minutes later, the Hunters come up on the other side of the partially destroyed ship. Their crew's attention seems fixed on the ongoing conversation. What do you do? The main deck is about 15 feet or so off the surface of the water, and their guard rail is about 3 feet.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Teshiq finds the experience unsettling as his body conforms to the whims of foreign powers with the aid of the spell to dispell his fears of water he dives into the water after making sure his equipment is secure. The swim through the water is invigorating his body seemed to glide to every touch of his fin hands, he felt like a predator masterfully cutting each current bringing him closer and closer to his prey.

On the fall side of the ship he paused under the water and and reached into his coat's depths producing a spool of rope he looked around for Amirah reluctant to send the child into danger but trusting in her skills.

Spoiler
    Show

Take 10 on Swim Checks 10+11+5=26.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Hakhpur

Hakhpur swims underwater to backup Teshiq. He would be careful to not show most of his hound head through the surface.

If they crew of the ships are enemies, a quick spell would silence them.

Spoiler
    Show

Take 10 on Athletics (swim): 28

Passive Perception: 18
    Last edited by Belthasar; 2011-03-15 at 02:54 PM.
    ===================

My posting will be considerably slower from now on and during some months. Sorry about the inconveniences!

Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A: Lawful Good Human Sorcerer (3rd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-12
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-17

6. - Top - End - #156

Rahman Shamis, Kobold Swordmage

Treading water by the edge of the boat with the others, Rahman signaled for some rope. "I think I can get myself up there, and I can send the rope back down then. The rest of you can climb up after I set it." He whispered.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2..."

"It all seemed harmless..."

Character Roster:

Ami Nakamura - Self Taught Sorceress [Sacramento Occult]

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Teshiq passed the rope waiting for the signal and whatever aid he could lend.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Amirah, Living Swarm

"If you see my rope drop, assume they are pirates, and please don't delay," sends Amirah, "getting stabbed with a cutlass tickles, but they tend to do it too often and then it's not fun anymore"

Amirah pushes her way to the surface, and then bursts into the air, coalescing into a small black mass of insects that flies up to the railing. Still as an insect swarm, she looks around, searching for the tell-tale signs of piracy.

Spoiler
    Show
    Use Black Harbinger
    Effect:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Until the end of the encounter, you can use wild shape to assume the form of a Tiny raven. In this form, you gain a fly speed equal to your speed, and your walking speed becomes 2. You can’t attack, pick up anything, or manipulate objects.
    Until this power ends, you can use wild shape to change among this form, another beast form, and your humanoid form.

Also, Passive Insight (31), Passive Perception (28), Active Insight - (1d20+21)[38] and Active Perception - (1d20+18)[37] to determine if we are in the right vessel (passives should be enough, I would imagine. Cargo ships and pirate ships are very different)

Edit: If, as I suspect, this is the real thing (because if not, we'll just say we're sorry for the inconvenience, move on and repeat this whole exercise until we find the real one), I would also like a map of the distribution of enemy forces (i.e. battle map).
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2011-03-16 at 09:52 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Amirah, Living Swarm

Still in swarm form, Amirah is spotted while she looks across the deck. "There is a woman on board!" she sends to the hunters in the water. "And the poor thing is crying. I think she is happy we are here. They don't seem like pirates."

Then, she turns her attention to the people on the boat. "Hello, captain," she sends to the fat turban-and-bearded man in the nice clothing, "I'm sorry We surprised your man. The flags are so slow to talk, don't you think? We are here to help, and this way is quicker than playing with flags, although much less fun"

Amirah's quirky voice tries to be calming.

Spoiler
    Show
    Working from a PM; sorry for the double post.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

The Fang of the Deep, Main Deck - Qius Sea
    The Captain seems highly alarmed by Amirah's presence, but is slightly reassured when she implies that she has come to help and is from the approaching ship. It was horrid! We were sailing on my vessel, The Skyarrow, when we spotted this very ship, sitting here in this condition, ruined by a storm! We approached, I must say much less cautiously than your own ship, and were boarded! A man in a great, plumed hat led an attack, and we had to capitulate. He begins to... cry? Amirah can't quite tell. He is outwardly sobbing, but his inner voice is uninterrupted. All my precious cargo, gone! My ship, taken! And they took my only son as an assurance that we would try nothing... then they left us here to rot... my life, it is ruined...
    Last edited by Shadow_Elf; 2011-03-17 at 11:31 AM.
    My Homebrew
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Amirah, Living Swarm

Amirah re-sends the man's words to the Hunters in the water, then answers. "Awwww... Don't worry. We will help if we can. The envoys from the ship have swam over. If you don't mind they'll came up and you can talk directly to them." The strange bird-swarm turns its head sideways, and adds, "I think you will be more comfortable talking to them. People usually are. They are funny!"

12. - Top - End - #162

OldWizardGuy

Hakhpur

Once Amirah transmited telepathically the conversation of the people on the ship, Hakhpur starts climbing up, carefully.

He will try to not use the rope, unless it's an emergency.

Spoiler
    Show

Take 10 on the Athletics (climb) check: 28

According to PHB, the DC should be 20 for a rough surface, with a +5 for being slippery, 25 total. My speed is 7, so I should climb at 3 squares per round (15 feet), 30 per minute (150 feet, aprox.)
    Last edited by Belthasar; 2011-03-16 at 09:28 PM.
    ===================

My posting will be considerably slower from now on and during some months. Sorry about the inconveniences!

Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-12
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-17

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

Medinah

Convinced that this is a victim's vessel and not the pirate's, Medinah extinguishes her light and climbs up the side in her disguised form (making sure to adapt it to appear wet).

Spoiler
    Show

Take 10 to climb = 25, or 27 if the grappling hook provides the same bonus as climbing gear.

14. - Top - End - #164

After Amirah gives the telepathic relay, Rahman swims back a little bit with the rope, takes a quick breath, and teleports himself up onto the deck next to Amirah. "We should probably inspect this ship to make sure that the pirates did not leave any other surprises on board." he says as he slings the rope over for others to climb up.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2..."

Character Roster:

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

At Rahman's spoken suggestion, the rotund captain shakes his head. No, sir, you must not! We sent a man down there the other day in search of food - we have no heard from him since! The pirates have left something down there, deadly and unpleasant certainly, and I do not want whatever is down there to come up here! he says with panic in his eyes.
    My Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rotund captain View Post
    No, sir, you must not! We sent a man down there the other day in search of food - we have no heard from him since! The pirates have left something down there, deadly and unpleasant certainly, and I do not want whatever is down there to come up here! he says with panic in his eyes.
    Amirah, Living Swarm

"Oooooh. That sounds interesting," comes Amirah's mental voice, "We should check it out. It's our job, you see, to go to new ships and make sure any dangers are... well, un-danger-ed before they can hurt our nice ship. But we may need to ask the Captain-Queen."

Amirah then floats over to the side of the ship, and searches for captain Shaur in the distance. Once located, she sends a message conveying all that has happened so far, and the new tidbit about dangerous creatures under deck. "Orders, Captain-Queen?" she finishes.
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2011-03-17 at 03:10 PM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Shaur notices the insect-raven flying off the side of the ship and moves closer to converse with Amirah telepathically. We are coming up alongside the ship to take the merchant crew onto our ship. I would like the Hunters to explore belowdecks and eliminate whatever threats are present. Once that's done, we'll sink the ship and go after Vertasi and his stolen craft, she sends back through the two-way telepathy.
    My Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Amirah, Living Swarm

"Yay, captain-queen says we get to go down for the ugly thing!" Amirah relays to the people on the ship, "Oh, and she's coming pick up all these people."

As she lands back on deck, the cloud of insects seems to grow as many of its components, that had been laying low around the ship, coalesce and grow to Amirah's usual size. "Shall we go?"

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Teshiq

Teshiq started climbing up on desk once the all clear was given, he didn't relish the thought that if he was a pirate he'd set a trap like this then with a mildy dangerous threat then set a real trap off while the Hunter's were busy below decks.

"Keep a weather eye on the horizon," Teshiq warned then unlimbered his sword, it faintly oscillated with magical energy like an extremely faint mirage. Having the conversation relayed to his head was a nifty trick he had a small smile on his face despite the tragedy.

"What are your names?" Teshiq spoke quietly trying to soothe the two disturbed parents. "We'll find your son."

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+14)[27]
    Last edited by A'den; 2011-03-17 at 04:17 PM.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

The man with the turban seems relieved at the rather mundane appearances of the rest of the Hunters, and also at their professional air. He turns to Teshiq at the cleric's question. I am Artahn Rajind, a humble merchant and purveyor of fine Naranjai oranges to the people of Luardo. My wife, she is Nahli Rajind. She weeps fine tears of joy at your most fortuitous arrival, noble saviours, but these fine tears, they are mingled with those of sadness at the loss of our dear son. I do not wish to see her cry any longer...
    My Homebrew

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

"So that whole...water trip was unnecessary then?" Kihtsah mutters. "Blasted Snake, he'll pay for this." The water soaking him converts to steam as his body heats up.

Hearing the captain's story however, brings Kihtsah's attention to what really matters. "We'll go after the pirate, and do our best to bring your son back. For now though, we have a meeting with whatever beast they've brought on board," he assures them as he draws his weapons.

"Let's go."

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post

"So that whole...water trip was unnecessary then?"
    "Awwww, don't say that! It was a fun swim, wasn't it? Besides, we had been weeks at sea, and some of you mammalians need submerging in water far more often than that."
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2011-03-17 at 08:06 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

"I do not need submerging. Ever."

24. - Top - End - #174

"Tell the captain to stay back until we have finished searching the ship." Rahman said. "I don't like this. They could have done something to this ship, and I don't want the Midnight Mirage to get caught up in it."
    Spoiler
    Show

Character Roster:

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Amirah, Living Swarm

Amirah passes on the message to the captain, then coalesces back on board. "Come on, slow pokes!" she projects, "Lets get some light down there, and start looking!"

26. - Top - End - #176

OldWizardGuy

Hakhpur

After getting on board, Hakhpur is surprised that Amirah's ritual made his fur resistant to water. He didn't even need to shake the drops off.

The gnoll listens the conversations between the Hunters and the newfound merchants.

"Yeah, let's get going," he says as he starts walking down waving his hand slightly. "And worry not, mister Rajind. We're trained professionals ready to deal with dangers like these."
    Last edited by Belthasar; 2011-03-17 at 09:33 PM.
    ===================

Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-12
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-17

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Medinah

At the mere mentioning of a threat left below decks by the pirates, Medinah's longsword is in her hand in the blink of an eye, bringing with it a faint shimmering ward around her.

She touches the gem at her brow and the red glow resumes, and with that she quietly moves to take point near the cabin entrance.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Teshiq joined the party heading below after pausing for a brief prayer for the protection of Artahn Rajind and his wife Nahli he turned and took part of the search party heading below deck.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

The Fang of the Deep, Below Decks - Qius Sea

The Midnight Mirage receives the Hunters' signals and keeps their distance, though they move a little closer. As the Hunters descend belowdecks, Amirah is very momentarily distracted by three flyers approaching the ship - judging from size, they are probably mighty albatross, rare and magnificent birds. She turns away from that note and follows the rest of the party down below. The stairwell opens into a deadend. Three crates are stacked in a sort of triangular structure on the left. On both sides, halls lead back towards the prow of the ship.

Map:
    Spoiler
    Show

Map Key:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I was lazy, so I only make fresh tokens for the Hunters. The rest are recylced from my usual game. The crossbowmen tokens are sailors armed with simples clubs. The Gandalf token is Artahn, and the Djinn is his wife. Unarmed crew are not shown on the map. Now, in case you can't tell which PCs are which:

Yellow circle, Swarm of Bees: Amirah
    Red circle, Pirate Woman: Medinah (if you would prefer a Warforged pic, I can arrange that)
    Gold circle, Human Warpriest: Teshiq
    Blue circle, Kobold Wizard: Rahman
    Green circle, Redskinned Lizardman: Kihtsah
    Purple circle, Gnoll Sorcerer: Hakhpur
    Last edited by Shadow_Elf; 2011-03-18 at 09:39 PM.
    My Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Amirah, Living Swarm

As they move forward, Amirah hovers defensively behind Medinah. Individual members of the swarm separate every so often from the main mass and dart toward the sides and front, coming back to inform on what they pick up. Her usual happy chatter is now gone - she knows better than to distract others while looking for trouble.

As a few rats scurry here and there, Amirah suddenly concentrates. Her form becomes far more defined and humanoid, and a number of fleas jump from the rats and rush toward her, joining the swarm. She then relaxes, and her shape becomes and indistinct mass again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Amirah will be center/back of the group, since she is relatively squishy. Since Medinah will be by definition the center of the group (light-wise, since no-one else has pulled out torches), Amirah will stay one square behind her. Switching to human and back gives her 10 temp HP, but otherwise she is in swarm form.

Skills: using both passive insight and perception to look for whatever has the guys upstairs so scared. Perception for spotting it directly, insight for picking up clues in the traces it leaves. I assume that, if it is somehow hidden, DM will roll the opposed perception rolls, so won't bother with that. Shadow Elf, please also roll Nature (+18) or Arcana (+14) knowledge roll if appropriate when I see any traces and/or clues, or the creature itself.