New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 38 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default 4e Trouble in Brixham (IC)

All - [Mountain Pass Base - Merchant's Camp]

It's raining.

It's been raining for three days. It's not a hard rain but three days of rain will cause trouble no matter how hard it is.

You've arrived at small merchant camp at the base of a mountain trail which leads to the small mountain town of Brixham. You know of Brixham, everyone around here does, if you haven't formally been informed you've been informally informed. Rumours speak of both terrible and great things happening there lately, many travellers have whispered rumours of a vast treasure and horrible dark consequences.

The camp is in a panic right now, looking up the mountain path you can see that a small caravan heading up to the town has been crushed by a landslide. Merchants and travellers alike attempt to pry the victems free while others moan how the pass MUST be cursed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Introduce yourself how you wish and go about how you believe your character would react to this situation. If you have an idea how you'd like to use a roll 'ie: Could I use History to...' or ideas on an action you'd like to take but don't know the roll go for it and I'll assist where I can.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: 4e Trouble in Brixham (IC)

Matrim shouts, "Quickly, we must get the survivors free!" and immediately rushes toward the scene of the landslide to lend his rather impressive strength to the rescue efforts.
    Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live to serve. Our lives are yours.

Awesome Richard avatar by kpenguin!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Dia, Elven Druid

Dia rushes to the scene, quickly finding those who can be healed and administering aid. Once that is complete (and I expect it to take a while), she will utilize her Nature skill to figure out how to avoid more landslides happening here (ie - do we just need to trigger a few more landslides or can we just fortify it in a few select spots).

Spoiler
    Show

Heal check: (1d20+13)[29]
    Nature check: (1d20+15)[23]

I went ahead and posted both just to be faster about it, but obviously the Heal check comes first, then after everyone else goes, my Nature check will go.

"Quickly everyone - if some of you can help pull them out, I'll tend to their wounds!"
    Last edited by tcrudisi; 2011-02-25 at 04:48 PM.
    Thank you Ceika for the wonderful Avatar avatar!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Illyrion Wildwind, Halfling Sorcerer

Taking in the scene in front of him, Illyrion could do nothing but stare. However, he does not stare for long as he instantly moves to lend a helping hand wherever he can. While he might not be as strong as the elven fighter, any help is better than none at all.
    "Insanity: a perfect rational adjustment to an insane world." - R.D. Laing

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Ravinna, Human Bard

From under a dry overhang in the merchant's camp, Ravinna looked at the caravan, half buried in grey mud, then she looked up at the rain falling. Then back at the caravan. On the one hand, she did feel sorry for the people, but on the other, she really didn't want to get her hair wet. It took forever to dry. Besides, she wasn't about to haul people out of the rubble; she didn't have the muscle for it. Or the inclination, if she was being honest with herself. Let the nice elf with the strong arms handle that.

She had just about convinced herself that there was nothing she could do to help anyway when she noticed another elf. This one looked very much as if it needed the shower it was currently getting. However, it also looked like it needed help healing the wounded, something Ravinna excelled at, if she did say so herself. She sighed, pulled her hood up as best she could to protect her hair, and ran out into the rain.

"You there," she said when she arrived at the scene, "Elf woman. Let me help you with that." She carefully checked the wounds of the poor fools who had gotten themselves caught in a landslide and did what she could to help them. As long as it didn't involve getting mud on her pants, mind you.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to try a cooperation with Dia's Heal check.

(1d20+3)[17]

EDIT: OK, looks like I succeed, so Dia gets a +2, right?
    Last edited by SPoD; 2011-02-25 at 10:14 PM.
    Congratulations, you can link to TV Tropes. This does not mean you have special insight into the storytelling process, much less the author's mind. Stories don't need to fit into neat boxes, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Spod has it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasilich View Post
    You not reading the comic isn't going to make this comic any less awesome for all the rest of us.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Syn of the Flame, Tiefling Paladin/Warlock

These imbeciles got their selves buried under an earth slide and even if she didn't like it she had to help them, if only to keep up the deception.
    She began to dig and called over to the people that where not helping:
    "In the name of the Shining One, people, come over here and help! The pass is not cursed, but you will be by Pelor himself if you do not lend a hand!"
    Spoiler
    Show

Bluff so that they believe the threat: (1d20+14)[34]
    And intimidate in case the bluff works: (1d20+12)[27]
    Last edited by Wabbajack; 2011-02-26 at 08:43 AM.

"And the Raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting
    On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door"
    - Edgar Allan Poe, "The Raven"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Matrim --- [Mountain Pass Base - Merchant Camp]

The scene unfolds as Matrim rushes in to assist, the mud sloshing into his boots as he dashes forward. Showing off his impressive strength he lifts several of the larger boulders out of the way which others were having trouble with.

Soon Matrim and the workers he's with come across a particularily large boulder which has crushed half a carriage and buried the other half. Within cries for help emenate. It will take more than a few men to move this out of the way.

Dia & Ravinna --- [Mountain Pass Base - Merchant Camp]

Dia arrives on scene, taking to the survivors which have been pulled out already. She splints and bandages injuries performing flawless jobs to even some of the toughest cases. Soon she have others assisting her, realising the virtue of your healing skills.

Ravinna joins to assist minutes later and helps stem the flow of injured bodies, making sure those in need of aid get it in time. Rain pours down on you as men run about setting up blankets as temporary healing stations. A couple others nearby set up a canvas as well.

"Miss! Miss!" someone shouts as two men drag a screaming woman in. She's got a spear run through her abdomen which has broken in half, splintering within the skin.

Spoiler
    Show

Correct, you assisted and granted a +2 to her heal checks

Illyrion --- [Mountain Pass Base - Merchant Camp]

You stare at the scene for what feels like minutes as everything happens at once before finally snapping out of it. People are hurt everywhere and even more are buried, all sites are covered with dozens of people trying to lend aid.

You take note of one job which only has one other man on it, clearing the pass. Maybe there's something you can do to help here? The avalanche is a thick mix of mud and rock and is about 10 feet high blocking the pass from end to end. Maybe there's something you can do here?

Spoiler
    Show
    Since you're looking for places to assist I've given you this but if you deem your abilities to be more beneficial to someone elses situation you can choose to assist one of the other characters however you wish.

Syn --- [Mountain Pass Base - Merchant Camp]

Seeing as the other avenues for help have been adequately attended to Syn decides she's going to play up her disguise and see if she can get those idling about to act.

Several of the merchants who can only watch look ashamed as you tout your speech and soon they rush in to assist in several of the needed places, leaving only a few lone gawkers.

"You can't seriously believe that!" one of the left overs retorts. "We've all heard the rumours and now this avalanche attacks the caravan unprovoked. This entire mountain is cursed!"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGuy

Matrim shouts, "We need more hands! There are some people trapped by a large boulder. Come quickly!"
    Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live to serve. Our lives are yours.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Dia, Elven Druid

Hearing Matrim's call, yet seeing the screaming woman with the spear through her, Dia appears torn. She desperately wants to go help move the bolder, yet there's this nagging feeling that "it will take more than a few men to move this out of the way." If mere men cannot do it, surely a female Penguin can.

But Dia has more pressing worries. Deciding that the screaming woman takes immediate precedence, she sets off to work on her.

Dia calls out, "Can anyone magically heal?"

Looking down at the woman, she attempts to comfort her while pulling out the spear and tending to the wound. "Tell me how this happened. No, don't yell. That won't help any. Who stabbed you?" This is said while bandaging the wounds.

Spoiler
    Show
    If I need another heal check, here it is:
    (1d20+13)[19]
    I don't think I'd need a charisma check to get the woman to talk to her doctor, but if I do then I'll just wait for someone else to interrogate her.

Dia yells out, "If you men can't get that bolder moved by the time I finish with this patient, I'll come help. She needs my immediate attention."
    Last edited by tcrudisi; 2011-02-28 at 04:49 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Just as Illyrion makes the first step towards the sole man trying to clear away the avalanche, he hears the urgent call of the elven warrior. This time, he does not waste any time and hastens over to the help move the boulder. Saving the trapped clearly has priority than trying to clear the avalanche. Lives might be at stake too, after all, since the trapped people could be hurt as well.

"I'll help as well!" the halfling calls out as he joins the other men's endeavor to move the huge boulder, partially hearing the call for a magical healer from somewhere else. Knowing that he cannot help, Illyrion ignores the call. Let the professional deal with the wounded.
    "Insanity: a perfect rational adjustment to an insane world." - R.D. Laing

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Ravinna, Human Bard

Quote Originally Posted by tcrudisi View Post
    Dia calls out, "Can anyone magically heal?"
    "I can," Ravinna answers, "and it's just as well, because I think your berries and bandages aren't going to help a spear through the gut." She looks up and motions toward the boulders. "Go help your kinsman or whatever, I've got this."

She stands up and produces her flute from its sheath hanging from her belt, as if it were a blade itself. She moves it towards her lips, pauses, and begins to play.

Medicinal Serenade in G Minor, to start with. Fairly typical stuff, but she can't bear to regurgitate Rachmaniov without some variation. Eventually, she segues into Rubert's Panacea Symphony No. 8--the woodwind melody, naturally. She doesn't have a bassoon on her.

Spoiler
    Show
    Using Majestic Word; she can spend a healing surge and gets an extra 1d6+5, plus 5 temporary hit points.

(1d6+5)[6]
    Last edited by SPoD; 2011-02-28 at 09:43 PM.
    Congratulations, you can link to TV Tropes. This does not mean you have special insight into the storytelling process, much less the author's mind. Stories don't need to fit into neat boxes, you know.
    Spod has it right.
    You not reading the comic isn't going to make this comic any less awesome for all the rest of us.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Matrim & Illyrion --- [Mountain Pass Base - Merchant Camp]

Illyrion joins to aid with the large boulder along with a couple of other merchants but the fight is against more than just the weight of the rock. It seems to have wedged itself nicely into the ground.

The rain continues to pour around you making it difficult to keep stable footing in the mud.

Dia & Ravinna --- [Mount Pass Base - Marchant Camp]

Dia successfully removes the spear and cleans out the wound while the woman sputters and gasps. Ravinna pulls out her flute and uses the magic she's learned through song to mend the wound before allowing Dia to bandage it up.

During the performance the woman explains what happened.

"W-we were leading the caravan...my h-husband and I." she coughs up a bit of blood and takes a moment to regain control over her breathing. "Th-that's when I saw movement off the s-side of the pass. I...tried to sh-shout a warning but a dark figure r-revealed itself from cover a-and the next th-thing I knew I had been hit..."

Afterwards it seems the woman is going to make it and while there are still injured coming in none of them are nearly as severe as the spear case.
    Last edited by Sipex; 2011-03-01 at 09:54 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGuy

Matrim searches the wreckage nearby for anything that might be used to increase the traction of the less sure-footed among the rescuers, or that might be used as leverage to move the boulder.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception - (1d20+7)[16]

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Seeing the others having problem lifting the boulder Syn draws her sword and rushes over.
    "Ah, to the hells with this."
    She makes a wide horizontal swing with her sword against the top of the boulder, chipping away a large part of it.
    "If you have a magical weapon just attack that thing! The rock will break before your fancy swords."
    Spoiler
    Show

Virtous Strike against the rock.
    Hit: (1d20+12)[18] (not that it would be necessary to roll...)
    Damage: (1d6+6)[7]

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Matrim --- [Mountain Pass Base - Merchant Camp]

You rush off in search of useful items amongst the wreckage and are unable to find anything which is still strong enough to act as a lever. You do however find a tarp which was originally fitted over one of the carriages which might help with traction issues.

Syn --- [Mountain Pass Base - Merchant Camp]

Ignoring those still blind to your pleas you decide to try a different avenue in aiding with the boulder situation. You power your energies into your attack and while you do manage to chip away a bit it's less than you had expected.

Spoiler
    Show

Damage is reduced by 5 down to 2 due to natural DR.

Rock has taken 2 damage.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGuy

Matrim returns with the tarp. He spreads it around the area where they are working, then draws his weapon and gives a might swing at the boulder.

Spoiler
    Show
    Could I use Footwork Lure on the boulder?
    MBA - (1d20+13)[30]
    Damage - (2d4+6)[11]

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Ravinna, Human Bard

Quote Originally Posted by Sipex View Post
    "W-we were leading the caravan...my h-husband and I." she coughs up a bit of blood and takes a moment to regain control over her breathing. "Th-that's when I saw movement off the s-side of the pass. I...tried to sh-shout a warning but a dark figure r-revealed itself from cover a-and the next th-thing I knew I had been hit..."

Afterwards it seems the woman is going to make it and while there are still injured coming in none of them are nearly as severe as the spear case.
    "Oh, a dark figure!" Ravinna mutters to herself as she leaves the woman to recuperate in peace. "Well, that really clears up what's been going on around here. It's not a curse, it's just a mysterious dark figure going around stabbing people! Much better." She sighs. "I just hope this isn't their favorite spear, so they don't come looking for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Sipex View Post
    The rain continues to pour around you making it difficult to keep stable footing in the mud.
    Since she has her flute out and is already soaked to the bone in this infernal rain--Mental note, "Infernal Rain" would make a great name for a song--it occurs to her that maybe she can help with the boulder after all. She puts her flute to her lips one more time, walking a little closer to where the menfolk are struggling. The first few notes of the Manual Labour Rag erupt from her instrument, filling the air with a jaunty tune.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going move over to where the boulder people are and play Inspire Competence to give all allies a +2 on their next skill check with one designated skill. I'm assuming the skill in question is Athletics, but if not, I'll use Acrobatics so they keep their balance while pushing. Whatever will help, really.
    Last edited by SPoD; 2011-03-01 at 03:18 PM.
    Spod has it right.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Ravinna & Matrim --- [Mountain Pass Base - Merchant Camp]

After her mild rant, possibly aided by the weather conditions, Ravinna trudges over to the large boulder which has a cart pinned and blocked off with survivors inside.

The boulder has half the cart crushed and is buried in the mud about 2 feet, jutting out about 6 above the dirt. It's currently supported by the framework of the cart and several other boulders around the cart which have been deemed by merchants as too risky to move, lest the large boulder crush the cart completely.

Ravinna starts her song while Matrim removes a chunk of the boulder with his sturdy, pole-like spear.

Spoiler
    Show
    Athletics is a good choice for moving a boulder. Also, those who are attacking the boulder, you're effectively removing mass to make it easier to move. Is there a time limit on that skill bonus or is it just 'the next athletics check?'

Matrim deals 6 damage to the boulder after DR. Boulder has taken 8 damage.

Also, attack rolls are only really relevant on a 1 which means your blow deflected off wrong or maybe you accidentally dropped your weapon or slipped.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Dia, Elven Druid of Penguin-ness.

Dia nods to Ravinna in appreciation. Looking around, she realizes the best use of her talents is with the bolder. While Dia is not strong, maybe she can use her mind to make the task easier. Moving up to the bolder, she looks to see if there is a place to get leverage on it. Then, she looks for something sturdy enough to use as a lever against it.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not sure which of these are required, so I'll just do a roll for everything and let the DM sort it out.

To find a spot to place a lever, Perception (1d20+15)[31]
    To find something sturdy enough to use as a lever, Perception or Nature (1d20+15)[19]

While looking around, Dia notices that the avalanche is not natural. She calls out a warning for everyone, "Be ware! This avalanche was not naturally occurring and people were attacked. While the culprits may be gone, they may not be far away, either."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGuy

Matrim looks at the weapon in his hands and says, "How silly of me to have overlooked my weapon when looking for a lever. Give me a hand with this, will you?" he says to the tiefling next to him. With that, he puts the spear in a likely spot and heaves with all his might.

Spoiler
    Show
    Utilizing the skill checks made so far for a good spot to put the spear and the +2 skill boost from Ravinna, if Syn elects to Aid Another then add applicable bonus
    Athletics - (1d20+14)[19]

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

"Come on people, we can do this!"
    Syn pushes the spear with her whole weight.
    "Now! Move the rock!"
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+1)[18]
    I need to roll the same skill for an aid-another attempt, right?
    Last edited by Wabbajack; 2011-03-01 at 03:13 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Ravinna, Human Bard

Ravinna continues to play her flute, bringing her tune to a rousing crescendo as the others push on the makeshift lever.

Spoiler
    Show
    The song description just says "next skill check, until the end of the current encounter". So, as long as we're still dealing with this rock, I'm guessing it's the same encounter, right?
    Last edited by SPoD; 2011-03-01 at 03:20 PM.
    Spod has it right.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Outside of combat 'encounter' = '5 minutes' as far as I know

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Dia, Matrim, Syn, Illyrion, Ravinna --- [Mountain Pass Base - Merchant Camp]

Dia joins the struggle in freeing the trapped survivors, finding the ideal place to insert a lever. Following Dia's guidance, Matrim inserts his spear into the optimal location and levers the boulder with all his might. Syn joins Matrim shortly and adds her strength to his.

The boulder jolts for a moment and lazily rolls forward and off the carriage as a combined effort of many. The survivors inside, a father and his apprentice son, are dragged out and immediately looked after.

Five strangers brought their abilities together out of need on the base of the mountain pass that day. Stories of their efforts would spread quickly.

The rain trickles steadily as the merchants around you begin to take the treated wounded back to camp while others begin the sombre duty of burying their dead. All that's really left is the pass now, blocked from end to end. No cart could get through here but individuals could probably climb the blockage if needed.

Spoiler
    Show

Matrim's athletics check: 19 + 2 (tarp) + 4 (lever) + 1 (reduced boulder mass) + 2 (prime lever placement) + 2 (aid another) +2 (aid another for Illyrion if he does so)
    30-32 total

Task: DC 30

(Ravinna's +2 is included in his original roll of 19)

@tcrudisi: Making all the rolls at once is a good method, speeds things up.

@Rahl: I was wondering if you'd think of that :D

@wabba: You're correct, same skill needed for an Aid Another roll.

@SPoD: In that case it would be until this situation is taken care of enough that you get a break or after 5 minutes have passed, whichever is first.
    Last edited by Sipex; 2011-03-01 at 03:37 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGuy

Matrim says, "Excellent work. It's amazing what we can accomplish when we all work together as fellow elves, isn't it? Let's get started clearing the pass, some of the wounded will need to ride on the carts to Brixham."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

"I will help until the rain stops, but I am direly needed in Brixham and will climb the barrier and walk if I must. I would be honored if someone would come with me, but I cannot wait until the pass is cleared."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Ravinna, Human Bard

"Well, I'm in no rush," said Ravinna, shrugging. "I won't be good for much heavy lifting, though."

She turns to the tiefling and adds, "If you're going alone, you should watch your back. Word is, someone's stabbing people in the gut with spears up ahead." She pauses for a moment. "Actually, watch your front, too."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll help out as I can, though I won't try to move any boulders. And, while, helping, if I should happen to see any unattended loot when no one else is watching, well, Thievery roll ahoy:

(1d20+11)[20]
    Spod has it right.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGuy

Matrim repeats the strategy that worked so well before, finding a good spot to put his spear and using it for leverage to help clear the pass.

Spoiler
    Show
    Athletics - (1d20+12)[21]

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Matrim, Syn & Ravinna --- [Mountain Pass Base - Merchant Camp]

Matrim, Syn and Ravina assist with the clean up efforts in their own ways, the rain slowing to a mild drizzle as they work through a good hour of the day.

After a good hour you've managed to collapse some of the barrier blocking the way, making it easier to climb over but still unpassable by carriages.

Part of the problem seems to be the lack of assistance you're getting from the merchants who don't seem to feel the need to take care of this problem right now, especially in these conditions.

Spoiler
    Show

Those of you working in the rain, give me a DC 15 endurance check or lose a healing surge for the day.

All --- [Moutain Pass Base - Merchant Camp]

As the hour comes to a close a couple merchants pass by and invite Matrim, Syn, Ravinna, Illydion and Dia to the leader's tent for an early supper. They also mention that he wishes to speak 'business' with them.
    Last edited by Sipex; 2011-03-02 at 10:33 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGuy

Matrim stretches his shoulders which have begun to ache from the heavy labor in poor conditions. He says, "I would be honored to join your leader for a meal. Lead the way."

Spoiler
    Show
    Endurance - (1d20+10)[22]