New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Monk Weapons

1. - Top - End - #61
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Monk Weapons

Meteor Hammer is my favorite monk weapon, especially for early levels. Has reach but also threatens next to you. Plus, I got my DM to house rule that I can treat a whip dagger as a monk weapon, using the meteor hammer as a precedent. I'm trying to get him to let me flank from 15ft now, but so far, it's a no go.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGirl

Quote Originally Posted by kaiguy View Post
    Meteor Hammer is my favorite monk weapon, especially for early levels. Has reach but also threatens next to you. Plus, I got my DM to house rule that I can treat a whip dagger as a monk weapon, using the meteor hammer as a precedent. I'm trying to get him to let me flank from 15ft now, but so far, it's a no go.
    The weapon you're referring to is a "Rope Dart". It's in the same Dragon Magazine as the one with "Kung Fu Genius".

I believe it's also in the Dragon Compendium.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arutema View Post
    Also, good luck making your fists Cold Iron or Silver.
    Warforged Can
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Warforged Can
    Other than naturally reproduce, is there anything Warforged can't do?

Also, mind the derogatory terminology about Warforged. They have feelings too, meat =P.
    Homebrew: Ghost Rider, a 3.5e Base Class inspired by Marvel's Comics.

So guys, the new Iron Man trailer, huh?

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Cogidubnus View Post
    Other than naturally reproduce, is there anything Warforged can't do?

Also, mind the derogatory terminology about Warforged. They have feelings too, meat =P.
    That's Meat bag droid!

6. - Top - End - #66
    Pixie in the Playground

Just gonna leave this here...

Amulet of Mighty Fists

Aura faint evocation; CL 5th
    Slot neck; Price 4,000 gp (+1), 16,000 gp (+2), 36,000 gp (+3), 64,000 gp (+4), 100,000 gp (+5)*; Weight —

DESCRIPTION

This amulet grants an enhancement bonus of +1 to +5 on attack and damage rolls with unarmed attacks and natural weapons.

Alternatively, this amulet can grant melee weapon special abilities, so long as they can be applied to unarmed attacks. See Table: Melee Weapon Special Abilities for a list of abilities. Special abilities count as additional bonuses for determining the market value of the item, but do not modify attack or damage bonuses. An amulet of mighty fists cannot have a modified bonus (enhancement bonus plus special ability bonus equivalents) higher than +5. An amulet of mighty fists does not need to have a +1 enhancement bonus to grant a melee weapon special ability.

7. - Top - End - #67

d20 Re: Monk Weapons

Speaking of kensai, I'm sort of imagining one taking the throwing/returning enhancements for his unarmed strike, allowing his unarmed attacks to strike with such speed/force that they create an air pressure to strike foes from a distance. A bit of a flavor readjustment, and I can see one ruling that the monk's body becomes "numb" until the beginning of his next turn, preventing him from making attacks of opportunity (to match a returning weapon having not yet returned to its owner's hand).

Quote Originally Posted by jpreem View Post
    Silversheen oil might actually work on monks fists.
    Is anyone else picturing Johnny Tremain: Revolutionary Monk?

Quote Originally Posted by fracas View Post
    I also houserule that Monks get full BAB, but replace Flurry with either Northern School (treat unarmed strikes at 2H weapons and free Improved Trip; increase Power Attack multiplier by 1 at lvl 6) or Southern School (free Improved Grapple or Improved Disarm and Dex to damage at lvl 6).
    Now you've got me wanting to stat out Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star, whom I recall hearing the 3rd Edition monk was mostly based upon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    I remember an immortal from prehistoric times in some comic book who had a jewel lodged in the centre of his chest, over his heart. That is how I imagine it anyway. Either that, or stuck in the brow like a bindi.
    My first thought was Mammoth Mogul from Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog series, though it wouldn't surprise me if he was inspired by a previous character; I recall DC had some-sort of prehistoric immortal. Vandal Savage, I think? Astaroth from SoulCalibur has a similar chest-jewel, though he's an intelligent construct. Curmudgeon's mention of a navel-housed crystal (and that laughably bad Barbarians movie) has me wanting to apply a gemstone of fortification from the Draconomicon to a female character in much the same way.
    3e5e : Quintessa's Dweomerdrain (Drain power from a magic item to fuel your spells)
    3e │ 5e : Quintessa's Dweomershield (Protect target from the full effects of a magic item)
    3e │ 5e : Hordling Generator (Edit "cr=" in the address bar to adjust the Challenge Rating)
    3e │ 5e : Battle Sorcerer Tables (For Unearthed Arcana)

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rasman View Post
    If you're LUCKY enough to be playing Pathfinder, Paizo saw it fit to fix the whole "Monk can't enchant his fists" problem.

Look at the Brass Knuckles at the top of the page under "Unarmed" weapons. The See Text part is particularly important. If you're in a 3.5 game, I don't see why you couldn't at least ask your DM if you can get a pair of these since Pathfinder and 3.5 are conversion compatible.

It's an easy fix to a long standing problem for Monks and it solves all those "I can get past this DR" BS problems, along with the "can't enchant my fists" issues.
    Um, in 3.5, you can just enchant gauntlets. They're considered an unarmed attack, so it gets the damage bump from Monk. So you can use gauntlets the same way you'd use those brass knuckles.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

I tend to use the defending property on a rod. Since many count as a mace/club and then you can use the utility aspects of the rods. at one point I got a dancing rope dart and braided it in to my hair. I never had to worry about when it dropped.

10. - Top - End - #70

2011 guys, 2011.
    D&D 3.0 and 3.5 SRDs

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I'm honestly surprised at how often I spawn new sig's. Am I really that quotable?
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMyconid View Post
    What do you mean it's not that great?

It lets you reload your greatsword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Neutral Evil is Evil untainted by concern over Law or Chaos. It is Evil in its purest form, much like NG is Good in its purest form, LN is Law in its purest form, and CN is murderhoboing in its purest form.