New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5]The Planeswalker (WIP, PEACH)

Odd. The forum ate my post...

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk7915 View Post
    I'll consider the spellcasting thing . On the "pro" side:

- it's more fun, it's more elegant, it's an obscure trick that most low-OP players wouldn't notice, it's epic level only, and it still leaves the class firmly tier two as they can, at maximum, learn 6 9th level spells, off a smallish list as they're relying on color boons to do it.

Cons:
    - It wasn't the original intent, it somewhat (not entirely) obsoletes the Legend "gain a 9th as a SLA 2/day" boons, the class was supposed to be tier 3 and has ballooned up to a higher tier, planeswalkers have potential access to every spell in the game which is really powerful and the limiting reagent was supposed to be "But they really don't get 9s".

So I'd like some other player's feedback before I decide for sure. This class is apparently getting tested places; I don't want it to come off as the Lightning Warrior and give people a sour impression of it .
    I see what you mean. Still, 9ths at level 25 aren't that bad.

As for the initiator boons, I really like the look of them. My only concern is whether they are so much better than most other 1st level boons that they become "no duh" choices, and that it makes the class even more of a "perfect Lightning Warrior" class. But I also really like ToB, and accept the fact that there's already a largely intentional power discrepancy between novice boons (Let's see, do I want scaling DR, a few extra spells known, or...a few lame class skills?). So I tentatively approve. They'd get bonus points if the boon name was also a card name
    Well, I tried to make it comparable to Oskar's Fighter ACF that netted it a maneuver and a stance.... Maybe reduce it to one maneuver, and make the next one be two, so that they're relying on feats for stances...

EDIT: WHAT THE @&#&!? How does that even...

And the post reappeared when I posted. Odd.

EDIT 2: Electric Boogaloo: Right. Here's the edited initiator boons.

New Boons
    Spoiler
    Show

Novice
    Spoiler
    Show

White
    Spoiler
    Show
    Student of Warfare
    When you take this boon, increase your Initiator level by one. You learn any maneuver that you meet the prerequisites for from any of the following disciplines: Devoted Spirit, Stone Dragon, White Raven. This maneuver is always readied, and can be used only once per encounter. To recover an expended maneuver, from this boon and any other boons you may gain, or from the Martial Study feat, you may take a full round action to concentrate. After doing so, you recover all expended maneuvers.

Blue
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ceta Disciple
    When you take this boon, increase your Initiator level by one. You learn any maneuver that you meet the prerequisites for from any of the following disciplines: Diamond Mind, Setting Sun, Stone Dragon. This maneuver is always readied, and can be used only once per encounter. To recover an expended maneuver, from this boon and any other boons you may gain, or from the Martial Study feat, you may take a full round action to concentrate. After doing so, you recover all expended maneuvers.

Black
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cabal Trainee
    When you take this boon, increase your Initiator level by one. You learn any maneuver that you meet the prerequisites for from any of the following disciplines: Devoted Spirit, Shadow Hand, Stone Dragon. This maneuver is always readied, and can be used only once per encounter. To recover an expended maneuver, from this boon and any other boons you may gain, or from the Martial Study feat, you may take a full round action to concentrate. After doing so, you recover all expended maneuvers.

Red
    Spoiler
    Show
    Soldier of Fortune
    When you take this boon, increase your Initiator level by one. You learn any maneuver that you meet the prerequisites for from any of the following disciplines: Desert Wind, Iron Heart, Stone Dragon. This maneuver is always readied, and can be used only once per encounter. To recover an expended maneuver, from this boon and any other boons you may gain, or from the Martial Study feat, you may take a full round action to concentrate. After doing so, you recover all expended maneuvers.

Green
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ana Disciple
    When you take this boon, increase your Initiator level by one. You learn any maneuver that you meet the prerequisites for from any of the following disciplines: Iron Heart, Stone Dragon, Tiger Claw. This maneuver is always readied, and can be used only once per encounter. To recover an expended maneuver, from this boon and any other boons you may gain, or from the Martial Study feat, you may take a full round action to concentrate. After doing so, you recover all expended maneuvers.
    Last edited by The-Mage-King; 2011-06-02 at 08:41 PM.
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Maybe I've been reading too much Nymphology lately, But I totally expected something else when I read Blue in relation to magic.
    Then I remembered Magic, as in the colors....

I do like, quite alot and it would fit well with a campaign I'm making....

My Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The-Mage-King View Post
    New Boons
    Spoiler
    Show

Novice
    Spoiler
    Show

White
    Spoiler
    Show
    Student of Warfare
    When you take this boon, increase your Initiator level by one. You learn any maneuver that you meet the prerequisites for from any of the following disciplines: Devoted Spirit, Stone Dragon, White Raven. This maneuver is always readied, and can be used only once per encounter. To recover an expended maneuver, from this boon and any other boons you may gain, or from the Martial Study feat, you may take a full round action to concentrate. After doing so, you recover all expended maneuvers.

Blue
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ceta Disciple
    When you take this boon, increase your Initiator level by one. You learn any maneuver that you meet the prerequisites for from any of the following disciplines: Diamond Mind, Setting Sun, Stone Dragon. This maneuver is always readied, and can be used only once per encounter. To recover an expended maneuver, from this boon and any other boons you may gain, or from the Martial Study feat, you may take a full round action to concentrate. After doing so, you recover all expended maneuvers.

Black
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cabal Trainee
    When you take this boon, increase your Initiator level by one. You learn any maneuver that you meet the prerequisites for from any of the following disciplines: Devoted Spirit, Shadow Hand, Stone Dragon. This maneuver is always readied, and can be used only once per encounter. To recover an expended maneuver, from this boon and any other boons you may gain, or from the Martial Study feat, you may take a full round action to concentrate. After doing so, you recover all expended maneuvers.

Red
    Spoiler
    Show
    Soldier of Fortune
    When you take this boon, increase your Initiator level by one. You learn any maneuver that you meet the prerequisites for from any of the following disciplines: Desert Wind, Iron Heart, Stone Dragon. This maneuver is always readied, and can be used only once per encounter. To recover an expended maneuver, from this boon and any other boons you may gain, or from the Martial Study feat, you may take a full round action to concentrate. After doing so, you recover all expended maneuvers.

Green
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ana Disciple
    When you take this boon, increase your Initiator level by one. You learn any maneuver that you meet the prerequisites for from any of the following disciplines: Iron Heart, Stone Dragon, Tiger Claw. This maneuver is always readied, and can be used only once per encounter. To recover an expended maneuver, from this boon and any other boons you may gain, or from the Martial Study feat, you may take a full round action to concentrate. After doing so, you recover all expended maneuvers.
    I think blue should have shadow hand since blue has lots of sneaky creatures and infiltration/spy themed creatures.
    Really really really awesome avatar thanks to neoseph7

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by demidracolich View Post
    I think blue should have shadow hand since blue has lots of sneaky creatures and infiltration/spy themed creatures.
    Well, I wanted to give each of the colors something that's theirs. White gets Raven, Red gets Desert Wind, Green gets Tiger Claw, Blue gets Diamond Mind and Setting Sun (which is focused slightly on counters and rules trickery, something that Blue is...), and Black gets Shadow Hand.

Though I see your point about Blue and sneaking... Maybe remove Setting Sun for it, or make it a choice between the two?
    Extended Signature.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

New Mythic White Boon:
    Angel's Grace:
    Once per day, if an effect would kill you or otherwise incapacitate you, you may activate this ability as an immediate action. Until the end of your next turn, you are immune to any effect that would kill or incapacitate you. Any damage you take that would reduce your HP to less than 1 reduces it to 1 instead.
    ^~Cody T.~^

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo

6. - Top - End - #66

I know I'm delving into non-magic books here, but a recent thread got me interested in Shadow Magic again, specifically from Tome of Magic, and it got me thinking...
    Would this particular thread of "magic" be considered Black or Blue?
    Characters:

I live on the time zone which is -5 hours to GMT, but I'm a night owl. Beware!

7. - Top - End - #67

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ZaneLaCoix View Post
    I know I'm delving into non-magic books here, but a recent thread got me interested in Shadow Magic again, specifically from Tome of Magic, and it got me thinking...
    Would this particular thread of "magic" be considered Black or Blue?
    Tough call; I'm not super familiar with ToM stuff but flipping through it I'd lean towards Black. While Illusion effects are strongly blue, a lot of what is there is related to creating darkness, manipulating life energy, spreading fear and horror. Rather than split them up based on school, I'd go for Black since black can do anything for the right price.

8. - Top - End - #68

RedWizardGuy

Also shadows are black in real life - thematically,it makes more sense for Shadow Magic to be black, instead of blue.
    Last edited by Southern Cross; 2011-06-21 at 03:54 PM.
    President and founder of the "Jonathan Harker Was The True Hero of Dracula" Fan club.
    To join, you may either add J.H.W.T.T.H.O.D to your sig or modify the sig above.
    (Avatar darkwizard.png by Teutonic Knight.)

Spoiler: What Pokemon are you?
    Show

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

YO DAWG I HEARD YOU LIKE HOMEBREW SO I HOMEBREWED SOME HOMEBREW SO YOU CAN USE HOMEBREW WHILE YOU'RE USING HOMEBREW.

New Boons
    Spoiler
    Show

Novice
    Spoiler
    Show

White
    Spoiler
    Show
    Student of Warfare
    When you take this boon, increase your Initiator level by one. You learn any maneuver that you meet the prerequisites for from any of the following disciplines: Devoted Spirit, Stone Dragon, and White Raven. This maneuver is always readied, and can be used only once per encounter. To recover an expended maneuver, from this boon and any other boons you may gain, or from the Martial Study feat, you may take a full round action to concentrate. After doing so, you recover all expended maneuvers.

Blue
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ceta Disciple
    When you take this boon, increase your Initiator level by one. You learn any maneuver that you meet the prerequisites for from any of the following disciplines: Diamond Mind, Stone Dragon, and Setting Sun OR Shadow Hand (Chosen when you first take this boon). This maneuver is always readied, and can be used only once per encounter. To recover an expended maneuver, from this boon and any other boons you may gain, or from the Martial Study feat, you may take a full round action to concentrate. After doing so, you recover all expended maneuvers.

Black
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cabal Trainee
    When you take this boon, increase your Initiator level by one. You learn any maneuver that you meet the prerequisites for from any of the following disciplines: Devoted Spirit, Shadow Hand, and Stone Dragon. This maneuver is always readied, and can be used only once per encounter. To recover an expended maneuver, from this boon and any other boons you may gain, or from the Martial Study feat, you may take a full round action to concentrate. After doing so, you recover all expended maneuvers.

Red
    Spoiler
    Show
    Soldier of Fortune
    When you take this boon, increase your Initiator level by one. You learn any maneuver that you meet the prerequisites for from any of the following disciplines: Desert Wind, Iron Heart, and Stone Dragon. This maneuver is always readied, and can be used only once per encounter. To recover an expended maneuver, from this boon and any other boons you may gain, or from the Martial Study feat, you may take a full round action to concentrate. After doing so, you recover all expended maneuvers.

Green
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ana Disciple
    When you take this boon, increase your Initiator level by one. You learn any maneuver that you meet the prerequisites for from any of the following disciplines: Iron Heart, Stone Dragon, and Tiger Claw. This maneuver is always readied, and can be used only once per encounter. To recover an expended maneuver, from this boon and any other boons you may gain, or from the Martial Study feat, you may take a full round action to concentrate. After doing so, you recover all expended maneuvers.

Journeyman Boons
    Spoiler
    Show

White
    Spoiler
    Show
    Unmovable SentryWhen you take this boon, increase your Initiator level by one. You learn any 2maneuvers that you meet the prerequisites for from any of the following disciplines: Devoted Spirit, Stone Dragon, and White Raven. You gain a pool of readied maneuvers equal to the number of White Boons you have taken, and may ready any maneuver you know from White boons in these slots. To recover expended maneuvers, you may take a full round action to concentrate. After doing so, you recover all expended maneuvers.
    Special: You may take this boon multiple times. Every time after the first, instead of the standard effects, you learn another maneuver from one the allowed disciplines which you meet the prerequisites for.

Blue
    Spoiler
    Show
    Talas trained warrior
    When you take this boon, increase your Initiator level by one. You learn any 2maneuvers that you meet the prerequisites for from any of the following disciplines: Diamond Mind, Stone Dragon, and Setting Sun OR Shadow Hand (Chosen when you first take this boon- if you have taken Ceta Disciple, you must choose the same school you chose for the purposes of that boon for this one). You gain a pool of readied maneuvers equal to the number of Blue Boons you have taken, and may ready any maneuver you know from Blue boons in these slots. To recover expended maneuvers, you may take a full round action to concentrate. After doing so, you recover all expended maneuvers.
    Special: You may take this boon multiple times. Every time after the first, instead of the standard effects, you learn another maneuver from one the allowed disciplines which you meet the prerequisites for.

Black
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dread Warrior
    When you take this boon, increase your Initiator level by one. You learn any 2maneuvers that you meet the prerequisites for from any of the following disciplines: Devoted Spirit, Shadow Hand, and Stone Dragon. You gain a pool of readied maneuvers equal to the number of Black Boons you have taken, and may ready any maneuver you know from Black boons in these slots. To recover expended maneuvers, you may take a full round action to concentrate. After doing so, you recover all expended maneuvers.

Red
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nova Chaser
    When you take this boon, increase your Initiator level by one. You learn any 2maneuvers that you meet the prerequisites for from any of the following disciplines: Desert Wind, Iron Heart, and Stone Dragon. You gain a pool of readied maneuvers equal to the number of Red Boons you have taken, and may ready any maneuver you know from Red boons in these slots. To recover expended maneuvers, you may take a full round action to concentrate. After doing so, you recover all expended maneuvers.

Green
    Spoiler
    Show
    Norwood Warrior
    When you take this boon, increase your Initiator level by one. You learn any 2maneuvers that you meet the prerequisites for from any of the following disciplines: Iron Hear, Tiger Claw, and Stone Dragon. You gain a pool of readied maneuvers equal to the number of Green Boons you have taken, and may ready any maneuver you know from Green boons in these slots. To recover expended maneuvers, you may take a full round action to concentrate. After doing so, you recover all expended maneuvers.

So, yeah. Added five more boons to the initiator set. Thoughts?
    Last edited by The-Mage-King; 2011-06-22 at 07:37 PM.
    Extended Signature.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Halfling in the Playground

First off this is a real gem of first class homebrew and was inqiuring If I may use these in my campaigns? And second ever had consideration on making equipment and creatures similar to the Phyrexia thread? http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186026
    I don't have birthdays. I level up
    Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 96
    When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1

11. - Top - End - #71

Y'know, I see this class, and I think to myself "Trading out the spells for Incarnum" could be an interesting ACF....lol

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

You can use GOLD instead of MAGENTA for White's font.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5]The Planeswalker (Complete, PEACH)

Certain features of this excellent Homebrew have fallen into disrepair, are confusing, are just weirdly written or just don't make much sense.

He can cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time, the way a wizard or a cleric must (see below).
    ... What?

His base daily spell allotment is given on Table: The Sorcerer.
    Why not just reference the table that is presented?

He gains additional uses of this ability per day as he gains levels in the Planeswalker class, with a maximum of 5/day at level 20.
    the table doesn't make a reasonable progression for this ability. I suggest: 1/day at 1st level, 2/day at 5th level, 3/day at 10th level, 4/day at 15th level and finally 5/day at 20th level. The text for this would read He gains additional uses of this ability again at 5th level and again every 5 levels thereafter. This allows it to extend into Epic Progression (and if you don't want it to, then just say "Until 20th level"."

Emergency Walk: At 11th level, in times of great need, you may teleport yourself out of danger much faster than normal. Once per day, you may use your “Walk the Planes” ability as a full-round action, rather than a one-minute action. You gain additional uses of this ability as you level up.
    My only problem with this is that it's progression doesn't make sense 11th, 15th and 18th. I would have gone with 12th 15th and 18th. This would make it

At 12th level and every 3rd level there after
    Again allowing to continue into Epic Progression (unless otherwise stated).

Master of the Planes (Ex):At 20th level you are an expert of interplanar travel. If you have been to a location before, you unerringly arrive where you desire when using your “Walk the Planes” ability. You can make a spellcraft check when an opponent uses interplanar travel to identify where they are traveling, and if you use your Walk the Planes ability afterwards, you can arrive within 20 miles of their location. You never risk landing somewhere dangerous when traveling to a plane, even if you have never been there before. Finally, the save DC to send an unwilling character on a “Walk” is increased by 2.
    This is dangerously unspecific. I recommend changing this spell to make it more specific.

If you have been to a location before, you unerringly arrive where you desire when using your “Walk the Planes” ability.
    Making it circumstantial is actually brilliant, however I recommend altering it to replicate a "Greater Plane Shift".

You can make a spellcraft check when an opponent uses interplanar travel to identify where they are traveling, and if you use your Walk the Planes ability afterwards, you can arrive within 20 miles of their location.
    I'd make it a Knowledge (The Planes) check and change it to

When an opponent uses a Conjuration [Teleportation] spell
    to be more broad in it's limitation (and it even extends to Teleport and Greater Teleport )

Generally, I'm not much of a "fan" of Homebrew, but once in a while I spot a piece of work that is just so flavorful and beautiful in it's design that I just cannot help, but comment on it and I must say this: Well done sir, well done
    Last edited by Arcanist; 2013-01-13 at 10:37 PM.
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Not sure if anyone are still readin this thread but it looks like this class might get some use here.

15. - Top - End - #75

DwarfClericGuy

I am still subscribed to this thread and am of course honored that the class is going to see some play. I'll be watching the campaign with great interest, and if you guys need help with RAI for the class feel free to post here or shoot me a PM. I'd also of course love feedback on what worked/didn't work.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Hmm I am looking over the expert boons and it seems to me like most of them are not that enticing. +1 Caster level for the color of choice is ok, but not really terribly exciting. The within 30' are great for a melee focused character, but if you don't want that you are left with just one option. If that does not fit your concept, you are basically left having to look for another color or take it simply as a stepping stone to the next level. I would love some more options here.

I do wonder why the boons do not require you to already have a spell of that color. Seems kinda weird that you can go with all red spells and only white boons for example.

Great to see that you are still around.
    Last edited by oyzar; 2013-05-23 at 02:03 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Suggestion for a black expert level boon:

Neverending Horror
    Add the following effect to your black spells that require a save:

Whenever a creature targeted by a spell or within its area succeeds on its saving throw against the spell, it must make another saving throw against the effect. If a creature fails this second saving throw, it suffers the full effects of the spell, as if it had failed its first saving throw.

18. - Top - End - #78

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by oyzar View Post
    Hmm I am looking over the expert boons and it seems to me like most of them are not that enticing. +1 Caster level for the color of choice is ok, but not really terribly exciting. The within 30' are great for a melee focused character, but if you don't want that you are left with just one option. If that does not fit your concept, you are basically left having to look for another color or take it simply as a stepping stone to the next level. I would love some more options here.

I do wonder why the boons do not require you to already have a spell of that color. Seems kinda weird that you can go with all red spells and only white boons for example.

Great to see that you are still around.
    I think those are fair criticisms. I did specifically divorce Boon and Spell requirements for both bookeeping and flavor reasons though. I mean, check out Domri Rade (the new Gruul planeswalker). He strikes me as a 'walker who takes Green spells and Red boons more or less exclusively. Ditto Tezzeret, who probably only takes blue boons but has learned some black spells to add to his repertoire. I wanted the class to be super flexible, in the end. Besides, most boons strongly complement their class's spell lists anyhow.

Expert boons are kind of an issue though, I agree. At 10th level, +1 CL on a selection of spells known can be had by several feats or magic items and is a bonus that, while neat, doesn't scale particularly well. I imagine that most planeswalkers will be true "jacks of all trades" with an emphasis on being damage machines, but the Expert boons largely force the 'walker into melee range and often ask them to be weapon users and/or buffers. I'll look into adding a boon to each color that might help out 'walkers who want to focus on battlefield control, skillmonkeying, or ranged spell damage/metamagic cheese.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

Huh, been a while since I saw this.

Hawk, care if I finish up 'brewing those maneuver boons for this, or would you prefer I don't?
    Extended Signature.

20. - Top - End - #80

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The-Mage-King View Post
    Huh, been a while since I saw this.

Hawk, care if I finish up 'brewing those maneuver boons for this, or would you prefer I don't?
    Sure. I'm not sure it's necessary in hindsight, but I realize that TOB is very popular and this class super doesn't want to multiclass since it loses caster progression and Boon progression. Your first wave of those boons was basically just spending a boon to get Martial Study + some small upside, which seems fine power-level wise. And it might be cool to see some Martial stuff that specifically interacts with a planeswalker's teleporting, "living mana battery" sort of nature .

New wave of boons to soon be added to the first post:
    Spoiler
    Show

WHITE BOONS:

Journeyman

Ajani's Mantra: When you use your Planeswalker's Jaunt, you also regain hitpoints equal to your Planeswalker level.

Expert

Empryeal Armor: You gain the Mettle ability. In addition, after you roll a saving throw, you may expend an unused spell slot to reroll that saving throw. You must use the new result, even if it is lower.

BLUE BOONS:

Journeyman
    Jace's Erasure: When you use your Planeswalker's Jaunt, you are invisible until the end of your next turn or until after you attack or cast a spell targeting one or more opposing creatures.

Expert:
    Stroke of Genius: You gain a number of skill points equal to 7 + your current planeswalker level, which must be spent immediately. Your future Planeswalker levels grant an additional two skill points. In addition, when you would make a skill check you may expend an unused spell slot to "take 10" on that roll, even if you are hurried, distracted, or threatened.

BLACK BOONS:

Journeyman
    Liliana's Caress: When you use your Planeswalker's Jaunt ability, you get a +4 bonus to the next attack roll, and the Save DC to resist the next spell you cast before the end of your next turn is increased by +2, and if it is a Necromancy spell that deals damage, it deals an additional 4 damage.

Expert
    Curse of Misfortune: Whenever you cast a spell that requires one or more creatures to make a saving throw, you may expend an unused spell slot to make each affected creature roll that save twice and take the lower result.

RED BOONS:

Journeyman
    Chandra's Fury: Whenever you use your Planeswalker's Jaunt ability, you deal 2d8+1/2 character level fire damage to all adjacent creatures before you teleport away (Reflex Save DC 13 + primary spellcasting modifier for half).

Expert:
    Wheel of Fortune: Once per round as a swift action, you may expend an unused spell slot to roll a d6 and gain a benefit based on the result:
    1 - +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls until the end of your next turn.
    2 - +2 bonus to AC until the end of your next turn.
    3 - Cast a spell of 2nd level or less as a free action.
    4 - Recover a spell slot one higher than the spell used to activate this ability.
    5 - Teleport 30'.
    6 - Deal fire damage equal to your level to an enemy within 30'.

GREEN BOONS:

Journeyman
    Garruk's Horde: When you use your Planeswalker's Jaunt ability, up to two adjacent allies may teleport with you.

Expert
    Berserk: Once per round as a swift action, you may expend an unused spell slot to grant yourself or an ally within 30' a bonus on their next attack and damage roll equal to the spell level expended.

My goal was to give each color a Journeyman boon that upgraded Planeswalker's Jaunt, and an Expert boon based around trading spell slots for some manner of bonus. Thoughts?

21. - Top - End - #81

Is it intentional that wheel of fortune just lets you burn 0th and 1st level spell slots for more powerful effects? Because nothing really scales based on the level of the spell slot burned.
    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Misc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by A Friend Of Mine
    Bloody Mess: The gift that keeps on gibbing.
    Fatigue makes me wax philosophic and/or babble. If I've posted something strange and tangential, that is probably the cause. This entry would be an example.

22. - Top - End - #82

Sizzle
    Spoiler
    Show
    I know you weren't asking about it, but I ran into this issue while trying to make a blasty Red planeswalker: While the Boon does let you get Fiery Burst as low as level 1, you still can't use it until level 4. Fiery Burst requires you to have a fire spell of at least level 2 in order to work.

When you Jaunt, X happens Boons:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I like Ajani's Mantra.

Jace's Erasure is good overall to me.

Lliana's Caress seems to take Jaunt from a mobility or panic thing to a charge up thing, as the +2 to the DC would be a nice boost to overcome the lower DCs planeswalkers will tend to have. The more damage bit would only draw my attention if it affected ability damage too, which probably be over powered.

Chandra's Fury I don't think much of. I'd only consider taking it for style reasons on a primarily red gish or bardtype, not any other build. I guess I could be undervaluing it, but I'd much sooner take any of the other Journeyman boons instead.

Garruk's Horde: Do they choose which square adjacent to you to appear in? Do they stay in the same location relative to you? Regardless, I like it.

Spend spell slots
    Spoiler
    Show
    I only have comments for the blue and green ones.
    For Stroke of Genius, it just bugs me a little that its done as '+7 than every level after gets +2'. I'd prefer something more like 'Gain X skill points, where X is twice your level. All subsequent levels give an additional 2 skill points.'

What bugs me with Berserk is that it cares about the level of the spell sacrificed, unlike the others. I'd prefer using your spell-casting modifier instead as the value for the attack and damage boosts.

23. - Top - End - #83

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by radmelon View Post
    Is it intentional that wheel of fortune just lets you burn 0th and 1st level spell slots for more powerful effects? Because nothing really scales based on the level of the spell slot burned.
    Well, note a Planeswalker doesn't have 0th level slots, and instead has a "cast X cantrips per day" class feature as the Duskblade. That being said...yes. Is it too powerful? The only effect that is obviously more powerful than a 1st level spell slot should let you burn is the "quicken magic" roll (3 on the die), and even that just lets you burn 1sts to quicken 2nds. Still, I think I might make some of it scale based on level...or do you think all of it should? Like:

1 - You get a bonus on attack and damage rolls equal to the level of spell expended until the end of your next turn.
    2 - You get a bonus on AC and Reflex saves equal to the level of the spell expended until the end of your next turn.
    3 - You may cast a spell of the same level or lower than the spell expended as a free action.
    4 - You recover a spell slot one higher than the spell expended.
    5 - You teleport X feet, where X is 10 times the spell level expended.
    6 - You deal fire damage to a creature within 30' equal to 5 times the spell level expended.

Quote Originally Posted by Vauron View Post
    Sizzle
    Spoiler
    Show
    I know you weren't asking about it, but I ran into this issue while trying to make a blasty Red planeswalker: While the Boon does let you get Fiery Burst as low as level 1, you still can't use it until level 4. Fiery Burst requires you to have a fire spell of at least level 2 in order to work.

When you Jaunt, X happens Boons:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I like Ajani's Mantra.

Jace's Erasure is good overall to me.

Lliana's Caress seems to take Jaunt from a mobility or panic thing to a charge up thing, as the +2 to the DC would be a nice boost to overcome the lower DCs planeswalkers will tend to have. The more damage bit would only draw my attention if it affected ability damage too, which probably be over powered.

Chandra's Fury I don't think much of. I'd only consider taking it for style reasons on a primarily red gish or bardtype, not any other build. I guess I could be undervaluing it, but I'd much sooner take any of the other Journeyman boons instead.

Garruk's Horde: Do they choose which square adjacent to you to appear in? Do they stay in the same location relative to you? Regardless, I like it.

Spend spell slots
    Spoiler
    Show
    I only have comments for the blue and green ones.
    For Stroke of Genius, it just bugs me a little that its done as '+7 than every level after gets +2'. I'd prefer something more like 'Gain X skill points, where X is twice your level. All subsequent levels give an additional 2 skill points.'

What bugs me with Berserk is that it cares about the level of the spell sacrificed, unlike the others. I'd prefer using your spell-casting modifier instead as the value for the attack and damage boosts.
    Sizzle - Seems a bad deal to me now, yeah. I'm thinking I'll either swap its place with Pyromatics and/or make it also grant Spell Focus (Evocation) or Spell Penetration as a bonus feat. After all, while there are drawbacks black can get any feat as a bonus feat with a Boon and blue's "bonus feat" boons all come with some significant upsides like Craft Reserves and free homonculi, and I'm honestly not sure those are the best use of a player's boons unless they are super feat-starved. I'll probably boost Knighthood in some small way as well (Skill Focus: Ride or auto-proficiency and focus with a Lance or something).

"When you Jaunt" Boons - I'll clarify Horde: the creatures must appear in a square adjacent to you if able, but need not be in the same relative position. I could upgrade Chandra's Fury...maybe it also lights targets on fire? Or leaves behind smoke, as an Obscuring Mist spell in the area you did fire damage? "Blowing stuff up" is a fun but not optimized build, so I'm happy to help it out however I can.

"Spend Spell Slots" - Both boons will be reworded accordingly .

Thanks for the feedback, guys! I'll be adding these and at least the novice Tome of Battle maneuvers to the first post soon.

What else would people like to see for this class? Some stuff I had in mind...

• Sample builds
    • "Multicolor" feats or boons
    • A class-specific PrC or two?
    • More feats
    • More fluff

24. - Top - End - #84

More stuff in general is always good. My personal picks would be some feats or boons for non-fire blasting, or Conjuration(Summoning) related boons, but multicolor boons would be nice.

I have a half finished White knightish planeswalker and a partly finished Red blaster planeswalker I can finish if you want sample builds. I noticed the issue with Sizzle when I was trying to make the above blaster at level one, and had intended for Fiery Burst to be it primary attack for the first level.

Edit: How about a boon to increase how much your spells can scale? Maybe something like:
    Taste for Mayhem: Red spells whose numerical effects based on spell level have a cap, such as Fireball, have that cap increased by the number of red boons you possess.

For instance, if you have 4 red boons and are level 13, your magic missile spell would fire 7 missiles, and a Fireball spell would deal 13d6 damage.
    Last edited by Vauron; 2013-05-25 at 03:54 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5]The Planeswalker (PEACH)

Spoiler
    Show
    Planeswalker
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|Boons
    1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Walk the Planes 1/day, Color Skills, Minor Arcana, Novice Boons|1|-|-|-|-|-|1
    2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Mana Source 1/day|1|-|-|-|-|-|1
    3rd|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Planeswalker’s Jaunt (Move)|2|-|-|-|-|-|1
    4th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    ||2|1|-|-|-|-|2
    5th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Walk the Planes 2/day Baleful Shift|3|1|-|-|-|-|2
    6th|
    +4
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Easy Walking|3|2|-|-|-|-|2
    7th|
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Journeyman Boons|3|2|0|-|-|-|3
    8th|
    +6/+1
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |Mana Source 2/day|3|3|1|-|-|-|3
    9th|
    +6/+1
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |Walk the Planes 3/day, Favored Plane (+2)|3|3|2|-|-|-|3
    10th|
    +7/+2
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Expert Boons|3|3|2|0|-|-|4
    11th|
    +8/+3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Planeswalker's Jaunt (Swift)|4|3|3|1|-|-|4
    12th|
    +9/+4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +8
    |Emergency Walk 1/day, |4|3|3|2|-|-|4
    13th|
    +9/+4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +8
    |Master Boons, Walk the Planes 3/day|4|3|3|2|0|-|5
    14th|
    +10/+5
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +9
    |Walk the Planes 4/day, Swift Traveler|4|4|3|3|1|-|5
    15th|
    +11/+6/+1
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +9
    |Emergency Walk 2/day, Favored Plane +4|5|4|3|3|2|-|5
    16th|
    +12/+6/+1
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +10
    ||5|4|3|3|2|0|6
    17th|
    +12/+7/+1
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +10
    |Planeswalker’s Jaunt (Immediate), Walk the Planes 4/day |5|4|4|3|3|1|6
    18th|
    +13/+8/+3
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +11
    |Emergency Walk 3/day|5|5|4|4|3|2|6
    19th|
    +14/+9/+4
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +11
    |Legendary Boons|5|5|4|4|4|3|7
    20th|
    +15/+10/+5
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +12
    |Mastery of the Planes, Walk the Planes 5/day|5|5|4|4|4|4|7[/table]

Made some adjustments so that the text and the table match up, removed the boons spread through out and gave them there own column and modified the spells per day table a wee-bit.

Overall, this class is still looking immaculate good sir
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin

26. - Top - End - #86

RedWizardGuy

I take it the spell numbers given in the table represent spell slots, and not the number of spells known?
    President and founder of the "Jonathan Harker Was The True Hero of Dracula" Fan club.
    To join, you may either add J.H.W.T.T.H.O.D to your sig or modify the sig above.

Show

27. - Top - End - #87

RedWizardGuy

Don't tell me I've slain another thread.....
    Boon progression seems to be as follows:
    1st level: You gain a Novice Boon.
    4th level: You gain a second Novice Boon.
    7th level: You gain a Journeyman Boon.
    10th level: You gain an Expert Boon.
    13th level: You gain a Master Boon.
    16th level: You gain another Boon. (Which may be a third Novice Boon or a second Boon of Journeyman to Master rank ).
    19th level: You gain a Legendary Boon.
    Furthermore, assuming that the levels listed above are the lowest at which you can gain a Boon of that rank, the Extra Boon must be a Novice Boon at 1st, 3rd and 6th level, and it takes you an additional 2 levels after you get a higher ranked Boon before you can take such a Boon. (Which means you have to be epic level before getting a second Legendary Boon).

Show

28. - Top - End - #88

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Cross View Post
    Don't tell me I've slain another thread.....
    Boon progression seems to be as follows:
    1st level: You gain a Novice Boon.
    4th level: You gain a second Novice Boon.
    7th level: You gain a Journeyman Boon.
    10th level: You gain an Expert Boon.
    13th level: You gain a Master Boon.
    16th level: You gain another Boon. (Which may be a third Novice Boon or a second Boon of Journeyman to Master rank ).
    19th level: You gain a Legendary Boon.
    Furthermore, assuming that the levels listed above are the lowest at which you can gain a Boon of that rank, the Extra Boon must be a Novice Boon at 1st, 3rd and 6th level, and it takes you an additional 2 levels after you get a higher ranked Boon before you can take such a Boon. (Which means you have to be epic level before getting a second Legendary Boon).
    That's the design intent. Additionally, to answer your previous question, the spells in the primary table are spells/day. Spells known are listed in a separate table in the first spoiler of the first post .

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

I was wondering at the line Arcanist pointed out as his first comment as well.

Something that kinda bugged me, I didn't notice anything regarding surviving planar effects. Something just about any plane hopper should want. Have you looked into MOP for additional spells?

Any reason it's "teleport" to another plane, not "plane shift"?

30. - Top - End - #90
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I'm a blue player. I play blue, I love blue. That said, I may
    be a little bit biased and have gotten the power level
    conversion somewhat off, so bear that mind.*

I play control, low cost counterspells that let me decide
    what you get to play and when. I've been trying to figure out
    how to fit those concepts into your framework, not writing
    new spells or bending DnD to fit MtG, as you said. Hopefully
    these boons fall in line with your theme.

*New Blue Boons
    Spoiler
    Show

*novice:

*Improved Counterspelling: You begin to focus
    your efforts on countering your foes' spells more
    efficiently. When counterspelling, you may use a spell of the
    same school that is equal to or higher than the spell level
    to be countered, rather than being limited to only countering
    a spell with the same spell or with a spell specifically
    designated as countering the target spell. In addition, you
    gain a +5 bonus on your spellcraft check to identify the
    spell you wish to counter.

Focused Counterspelling: When counterspelling, you may
    use a spell up to two levels lower than you would otherwise need to, down to a minimum of first level.

Special: You may take this boon multiple times, its' effects
    stack. (This is the one I'm least sure about. I figure,
    you're making a substantial investment by giving up the boon
    or boons, so a drop of two levels (or four, or six,) allows
    you to approximate the ability to counter any spell, whether
    its converted mana cost is 4, or 7, or 15, with a 2CMC
    Counterspell. It's not nearly as powerful as saying "you can
    counter any target spell with a level two spell," there's
    some ramp here. I thought about making this "you may use a
    spell a number of levels lower than the target spell equal to
    the number of blue boons you have, including this one," to
    match the others formated that way, but that would let you
    use a first level spell to counterspell a 9th level spell for
    one boon, which seemed op to me.) * **

*journeyman:

*Reactive Counterspelling: You learn how to react
    more quickly to hostile spellcasters. You may attempt to
    counterspell an opponent's spell once per day as an immediate
    action (instead of a readied action). You must use a spell at
    least one level higher than the spell being countered to use
    this ability. You can use this ability once per day at 7th
    level, plus one additional time per day for every 3 levels
    beyond 7th.*
    expert:

Versatile Counterspelling: When counterspelling, you
    may use any spell of the same level or higher to counterspell
    a target spell.
    master:Traumatize: You may force target opponent to make a will save or randomly lose half of their currently prepared spells or available spell slots, rounded down. The DC for this check is 10 + 1/2 your caster level + your primarily spellcasting ability modifier. You can use this ability once per day at 13th level, plus one additional time per day for every 3 levels beyond 13th.
    I'm gonna throw some more boons together for Unsummon and Echoing Truth, but my phone is dying. Mind Control and Dream Leash are probably covered by just learning Dominate Person, so I'll probably leave those alone, even though they're among my favorites. I still haven't figured out how to emulate drawing as a mechanic, so any help there would be appreciated.*I'd loe to hear what you all have to say about the ones I've written so far!*Also, I apologize for formatting. My phone has decided my backspace button doesn't work.
    If your DM ever looks across the table at you and utters the phrase "are you sure?" The correct answer is "No."
    -personal experience