New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default What do ears do when we sleep.

Why don't we get 'pins and needles' in our ears as we do in our arms when we sleep on them all night? We say our arm has 'gone to sleep', but our ears don't suffer the same, even if they get folded and crumpled under our heads? Can't be because they have no nerves or feeling cos' they do.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: What do ears do when we sleep.

Just a theory, but: no muscles?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGirl

Maybe evolution by natural selection has caused all the poor monkeys with "sleeping" ears to go extinct?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

My ears can get sore after I've slept on them all night... I tend to sleep on my left and I've often noticed that my ear is definitely sore when I wake up...

Not pins & needles, but a definite response.

5. - Top - End - #5

BlackDragon

"Pins and needles" is due to the blood circulation to the arms getting restricted, I believe. Guessing the ears don't have major blood vessels to get restricted in the same way...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Just a theory, but: no muscles?
    I'd go for this response as well.

Like factotum said, 'pins and needles' is when the blood flow to an extremity has been impaired, so the muscles doesn't get the oxygen it needs to work properly.

Since you don't have any muscles in your ears, the muscles you don't have can't stop working correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    KuReshtin too, because he's awesome and a Swede, and therefore double awesome.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    "Pins and needles" is due to the blood circulation to the arms getting restricted, I believe. Guessing the ears don't have major blood vessels to get restricted in the same way...
    I think you may be right about blood vessels... may be enough for ones ears to burn if one is being talked about. And to stop them falling off with frost bite. But not enough major blood vessels to react to being restricted thus causing 'pins and needles. Is this a medical break through...?
    Last edited by paladinlady; 2011-03-07 at 09:50 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know what my ears do when I'm asleep, but some mornings...some mornings I wake up, and something's missing. A $20 from my wallet, or a new pair of headphones. I don't want to suspect them, but...I can never see them, and can never hear them. And as much as I hate to say it...I can never trust them.

Thank the gods they'll never be able to read this post. You know, because they're ears.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DeadManSleeping View Post
    I don't know what my ears do when I'm asleep, but some mornings...some mornings I wake up, and something's missing. A $20 from my wallet, or a new pair of headphones. I don't want to suspect them, but...I can never see them, and can never hear them. And as much as I hate to say it...I can never trust them.

You've got me worried... do ears have a life of their own? I've noticed walls have ears and corn has ears... where will it all end? Are they trying to take over. After what you've said I'm going to keep my eye on my ears.
    Last edited by paladinlady; 2011-03-07 at 01:16 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

ears dont fall asleep because they are made of cartilage like your nose is
    they don't have the same properties as the flesh on your arms
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    ears dont fall asleep because they are made of cartilage like your nose is
    they don't have the same properties as the flesh on your arms
    Ah... that sounds right.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by paladinlady View Post
    You've got me worried... do ears have a life of their own? I've noticed walls have ears and corn has ears... where will it all end? Are they trying to take over. After what you've said I'm going to keep my eye on my ears.
    It's not at all like that. After you fall asleep, the ears detach and join up to form a pretty butterfly. They then fly away to mate with other ear-butterflies. And that's how baby ears are made.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

They exercise; alternatively, your ears separate from your head and go off on their own merry adventures.

This is why you get ear-wax.
    To see the world in a grain of sand
    and Heaven in a wild flower
    To hold infinity in the palm of your hand
    and eternity in an hour.

- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeadManSleeping View Post

Thank the gods they'll never be able to read this post. You know, because they're ears.
    May I applaud you, sir?

But, back on topic, isn't pins and needles a reaction by the nerves, not the muscles? But then, that wouldn't make much of a difference, because ears don't have many nerves in them, either...

Please ignore me if that's completely wrong - I admit, as much as I love using them, my knowledge of ears is a bit limited.
    Just remember - yelling "Who wrote this ****?!" at the top of your lungs is a normal and accepted part of the editing process.

The wizard who reads a thousand books is powerful. The wizard who memorises a thousand book is insane.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by FF Fanboy
    Undead have quasi-feelings, too!
    Thanks to kpenguin for the excellent avatar.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    It's not at all like that. After you fall asleep, the ears detach and join up to form a pretty butterfly. They then fly away to mate with other ear-butterflies. And that's how baby ears are made.
    What a superb thought... I've always wondered what the cat was chasing around at night. I didn't know about that theory... although I do know if your nose runs and your feet smell, you're built upside down...

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Vella_Malachite View Post
    May I applaud you, sir?

But, back on topic, isn't pins and needles a reaction by the nerves, not the muscles? But then, that wouldn't make much of a difference, because ears don't have many nerves in them, either...
    I think you're right... but what is pins and needles? Is it your blood going back into the area that has been deprived and why does it go pins and needley? It must be sending some sort of reaction to the nerves... ears have blood, they go white if it's cold and red if it's hot... or is that the elephant I'm thinking of..?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

The medical term is paresthesia, and it can have many causes.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Also, the brain ignores (most) audible stimuli - your breathing, the clock ticking, etc.

It usually takes something jarring to wake you. Basically the sub-conscious continuously monitors for what it considers a dangerous noise, and if it discovers one it prods the conscious into dealing with it.
    RIP Tasha, April 1986 to November 25th, 2008. 22 years and 7 months of being the best kitty ever. You will be missed forever.

RIP Finney Jr., June 1998 to March 18, 2011. Nearly 13 years of being the best goldfish ever. You, as with Tasha, will be missed forever.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

PirateWench

The explanation I was given for pins and needles was the blood vessels re-opening after being deprived of blood and so triggering off all your nerves.

since we can assume a force strong enough to block the blood coming in blocks it going out (and vice versa) it must be something to do with the way blood is returned in two parts (cells in the veins and fluid in the lymphatic system).

As for why your ears are not so affected, perhaps it is to do with the structure and layout of the blood vessels responding less to pressure or the way that you put weight on the ear not actually creating the same pressure and therefore being incapable of stopping blood flow.

As others have said, the lack of muscles and nerves is probably a factor too.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

I've started lashing my ears to my head while I sleep, or else I wake up to find that they've been raiding the kitchen and are now full of cereal.

21. - Top - End - #21

Dunno about ears, but I find tongues pretty worrying...

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Dunno about ears, but I find tongues pretty worrying...
    Oh Yuck...! I see what you mean, where will it all end? I wish I hadn't mentioned ears now... too much information, I've gone right off my lunch.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

PirateWench

That video seems rather tounge in cheek.

What? Cat got your tounge?

I'll be going now....

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

According to Doctor Mum, we have no large nerves in our ears. Large nerves (like in our arms) are vulnerable to compression, whereas small nerves just dislocate a millimeter or two.

― Tim Fargo

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

When I see this topic, I keep thinking of Cake's song When You Sleep, but thats about fingers, not ears. I suggest anyone who hasn't heard it, to listen to it. Cake is AWESOME!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by paladinlady View Post
    I think you may be right about blood vessels... may be enough for ones ears to burn if one is being talked about. And to stop them falling off with frost bite. But not enough major blood vessels to react to being restricted thus causing 'pins and needles. Is this a medical break through...?
    The ear doesn't have major blood vessels, nope. Just capillaries. That's part of why people can have piercings in any part of the ear, there's no chance that poking a hole in the wrong places will result in significant bleeding. (I mean, it'll hurt a lot if you hit a nerve or stab right through the cartilage, but you're extremely unlikely to bleed to death from a cut on your ear).

I think another part of the answer is cushioning. Cartilage is a lot softer than bone and skeletal muscle, and many people sleep with their heads on something softer than what they keep the rest of their bodies on. Between the give in the cartilage and the give in a pillow, the nerves and blood vessels in the ear don't get compressed enough for there to be much discomfort.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    According to Doctor Mum
    Copycat! :O
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    When I see this topic, I keep thinking of Cake's song When You Sleep, but thats about fingers, not ears. I suggest anyone who hasn't heard it, to listen to it. Cake is AWESOME!
    'tis.
    Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    The ear doesn't have major blood vessels, nope. Just capillaries. That's part of why people can have piercings in any part of the ear, there's no chance that poking a hole in the wrong places will result in significant bleeding. (I mean, it'll hurt a lot if you hit a nerve or stab right through the cartilage, but you're extremely unlikely to bleed to death from a cut on your ear).
    But by that same token, according to my Dr. Mum, it does mean that infections are more problematic because they don't get enough blood flow to deal with it.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    'tis.
    Indeed. Great band. Now I have 'Sheep go to Heaven' stuck in my head.
    Again.
    Also.
    Ears.
    Last edited by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll; 2011-03-08 at 10:33 PM.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

You've opened a can of worms here, miss paladinlady...

Still, I am sure every night your ears have to take the mighty ear right to mount loom, the thing is that eardo and waxwise never make it before you wake up, sometimes you see parts of their adventures, most people call them dreams.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

One time, I had a dream where I'd gone deaf in one ear. I woke up the next morning to find I was sleeping on that ear.

Weird, huh? One thing I've always wondered - can blind people see, in their dreams? Or the deaf hear?
    Live, Laugh, Learn, Love,
    and Look both ways
    when you cross the street