New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Losing Rage (Ex) During Your Rage

Bit of a rules question, not sure if there is an answer to be cited or if it would just be opinions, but here goes.
    The dire badger's rage is listed as a special attack in the MM and classified as (Ex) which would justify a player gaining said rage when he wild shapes into a dire badger. Setting the unusual trigger and duration of the rage aside, lets say one does fly into the rage while they are wild shaped into a dire badger. If they proceed to change shape to something without the rage feature, does their losing the rage ability end the current rage or simply remove their ability to reactivate it?
    You can call me Daryll if you want.

"I am everything you want me to be, but nothing you expect me to be."

Thurbane's signature is far more useful than mine.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Losing Rage (Ex) During Your Rage

I would say end their current rage, because the rage is a feature of being a badger, if they are no longer a badger, they are no longer raging.
    Red Mage avatar by Aedilred.

Where do you fit in? (link fixed)

RedMage Prestige Class!

Best advice I've ever heard one DM give another:
    "Remember that it is both a game and a story. If the two conflict, err on the side of cool, your players will thank you for it."

Second Eternal Foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by supersonic29 View Post
    Bit of a rules question, not sure if there is an answer to be cited or if it would just be opinions, but here goes.
    The dire badger's rage is listed as a special attack in the MM and classified as (Ex) which would justify a player gaining said rage when he wild shapes into a dire badger. Setting the unusual trigger and duration of the rage aside, lets say one does fly into the rage while they are wild shaped into a dire badger. If they proceed to change shape to something without the rage feature, does their losing the rage ability end the current rage or simply remove their ability to reactivate it?
    I don't know if there's a definite answer for this, but if I was DM, at least until I come across a definite ruling, I'd say that you lose the Rage ability all together and the Rage ends, but I'd rule you're fatigued as per the Barbarian Rage ability to compensate for the 'bonus' of ending the badger's rage, effectively, at will. That's just my idea on it.
    You cannot kill that which is already Ded

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DedWards View Post
    I don't know if there's a definite answer for this, but if I was DM, at least until I come across a definite ruling, I'd say that you lose the Rage ability all together and the Rage ends, but I'd rule you're fatigued as per the Barbarian Rage ability to compensate for the 'bonus' of ending the badger's rage, effectively, at will. That's just my idea on it.
    Nothing about the badger or dire badger's rage says anything about fatigue. It does not refer you to the rage ability of the barbarian in the PHB, either. The ability doesn't end after a set number of rounds, either.

He's looking for a rules answer for something that the rules are silent on. There's no need to add in additional punishments or hindrances for which there are no rules support.
    Red Mage avatar by Aedilred.

Where do you fit in? (link fixed)

RedMage Prestige Class!

Best advice I've ever heard one DM give another:
    "Remember that it is both a game and a story. If the two conflict, err on the side of cool, your players will thank you for it."

Second Eternal Foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Since it doesnt say I can ever end it, it may be for the best to have it be ruled that way. Tis a shame I can't rage and then switch to a bear and really go at it though.
    Last edited by supersonic29; 2016-10-26 at 01:18 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Would they even be able to wildshape? Wouldn't that count as an ability that requires concentration to do?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Genth View Post
    Would they even be able to wildshape? Wouldn't that count as an ability that requires concentration to do?
    No. Wildshape isn't a concentration spell, it's a class feature ability.

Hell, there's a variant druid called Druidic Avenger that literally gives up companion and a few other things to gain the Rage ability. Raging druids have been a thing since UA.

Strength is being able to crush a tomato, Dexterity is being able to dodge a tomato, Constitution is being able to eat a bad tomato, Intelligence is knowing a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to put a tomato in a fruit salad, Charisma is being able to sell a tomato-based fruit salad
    But..... isn't a tomato-based fruit salad... salsa?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Alternate reading: If you shape away from it without ending it properly (since it has no actual listed duration), it lasts FOREVER.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Alternate reading: If you shape away from it without ending it properly (since it has no actual listed duration), it lasts FOREVER.
    It does say it ends when your opponent is dead, but I agree that it's ridiculously easy to get around (punch a captive goblin, go into rage, keep goblin alive while you wreck other stuff).

Hm... that gave me an idea. How about using the above trick to automatically know when a given individual dies?
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

RogueGuy

I could see this happening by chance. Say the big bad triggers your rage and takes the party prisoner. Do you rage forever?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

BTW, Blood Frenzy of Carcass Eater (Libris Mortis) have the same problem: no listed duration - not even "until the enemy is dead"

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    It does say it ends when your opponent is dead, but I agree that it's ridiculously easy to get around (punch a captive goblin, go into rage, keep goblin alive while you wreck other stuff).

Hm... that gave me an idea. How about using the above trick to automatically know when a given individual dies?
    It's the opposite way: in order for you to go into rage, goblin should hit you in combat

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Then the question is: how do I make an argument to keep the ongoing rage when I change? infinite rage would be hilarious

Edit: There's a way to accurately make a D&D Angry Marine if the DM ruled that you kept an ongoing rage
    Last edited by supersonic29; 2016-10-27 at 11:37 AM.