New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default All the Chicas Love An Accent!

I was just thinking, as I sit here bored at work;

Here in the United States, a huge portion of women find British-sounding accents very sexy and appealing. Putting aside the intricacies of each accent and the fact that when Americans think "British" they are really only thinking about one of many "British" accents...

I wonder, in the U.K., or any country really, do women find American "accents" sexy and appealing?
    Last edited by Crow; 2011-03-11 at 01:22 PM.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: All the Chicas Love An Accent!

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post

Here in the United States, a huge portion of women find British-sounding accents very sexy and appealing. Putting aside the intricacies of each accent and the fact that when Americans think "British" they are really only thinking about one of many "British" accents...

I wonder, in the U.K., or any country really, do women find American "accents" sexy and appealing?
    Well British accent are great in fantasy films. Does that mean all women really love fantasy films? My 10 year of geekdom are about to pay off. My Extended LotR DVD might as well be worth 10 times their weight in gold!

As for this idea, you could try it? Go to another country and report back on your progress.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Men and women of all cultures love foreign accents of all stripes. It really varies from person to person, accent to accent. Pretty much any accent is fair game to someone.

American accents (particularly Midwestern) have been described as "melodic" and "singsong", and are certainly attractive to some people.

Also, you'll probably notice that people will rarely call an accent attractive unless the speaker is also attractive. That's not a coincidence.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

I've had Australian females give positive reviews on my (New England-ish) accent.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

I've been told my accent is cute. I've also been told I sound like a pubescent boy.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Here in the United States, a huge portion of women find British-sounding accents very sexy and appealing.

ORLY? I need to move to the USA

Love an Irish accent.

French is good if it's not too thick, otherwise it's unintelligible.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm a master of accents. I sometimes just slip into accents without noticing. Especially if my lisp is coming on, I instinctively go into an English accent of some sort to hide it. (Not being able to pronounce "r"s. I've been getting bettah, though! :smallamused)

Edit: I also do a killer highland Scot accent, but it's practically unintelligible.
    Last edited by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll; 2011-03-11 at 07:31 PM.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

i have a texan accent, but as those of you who saw my video on the last You! thread can tell... i am REALLY good at hiding it.
    Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur
    Quote Originally Posted by KuReshtin View Post
    Damn you, Avocado. i'll never be able to look at a duck again without thinking that they're trying to disguise themselves as dogs.
    Spoiler
    Show

bindrune by Icewalker

banner by araveugnitsuga

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Here in Brazil.

Back when i was a teenager, i had a friendship with two twin brothers, who used to spend their vacations in the USA. After classes, sometimes our group would go to malls, and they used to play "i'm an american tourist" to catch girls. Of course, the fact that they were blond and too much pale worked well at their advantage. Heh, fun times.

But i mostly agree with the idea that people love foreign accents, specially if the person is atractive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Now you have me picturing someone using a Pretentious Fantasy Sword of Destiny for mundane tasks.

"It is called Chirodin, Blade of Eternity! It was forged in the heart of the sun by the god Dathir, using the moon as a hammer and the corpse of Turtaris, Mother of All Dragons, as an anvil. No physical barrier can divert its blow, for it always goes exactly where its wielder wills it. So, as you can imagine, it cuts simply amazing flank steaks!"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Jamaican girls love American accents. But the shopkeepers automatically double the price of everything once you don't speak Patois. So I guess it evens out.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

11. - Top - End - #11

I don't know what it is, but I can't stand a british accent. I don't know the difference between the multitude that I'm told exist because I don't like to listen to it for more than it takes to watch Shaun of the Dead. Often not even that long. For whatever reason, that irrational hatred just goes away when it's a medieval movie. In fairness, though, I'm not a chica.

My accent is pretty typical American Youth, with a "y'all" thrown in here and there. I also say "was" and "because" as "wuz" and "becuz". Those are involuntary.
    I take this game with the seriousness it deserves.
    Not all that much. It's a game.

Xykon In The Playground nominee, way back when that happened.

Rebel Leader

Breakfast-atar by The Neoclassic whom I appreciate very much!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

While I do realize now that there are different types of the British accent, my ears are too untrained to tell Accents are sexy, but I hate it when people try to copy slang and inflections from another culture when they are obviously not native :smalltongue:

what does that really have to do with this thread? >.>
    Last edited by Dvandemon; 2011-03-11 at 08:36 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Honestly, accents are almost universally seen as sexy. This is probably an evolutionary thing, because an accent means the person is less likely to have have a similar genotype to you, it will lead to more productive evolution in a population faster. At this point in society, it's just a nice perk for immigrants.
    Spoiler
    Show

Hetalia FTW!

WILL DM FOR FOOD teh lulz!
    Th story of my DMing, in blog form!: http://matterofdice.wordpress.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by geekgrrl View Post
    EDIT: AGH, ninja post!
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    I agree with this man.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: All the Chicas Love An Accent!

Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I don't know what it is, but I can't stand a british accent. I don't know the difference between the multitude that I'm told exist because I don't like to listen to it for more than it takes to watch Shaun of the Dead. Often not even that long. For whatever reason, that irrational hatred just goes away when it's a medieval movie. In fairness, though, I'm not a chica.
    Same with me and American accents, been told there exist more than Midwestern and Southern but blimey if I can tell a Chicago bloke from a Minnesota one.

I love almost all incarnations of English, though, so I wouldn't mind learning. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Dvandemon View Post
    While I do realize now that there are different types of the British accent, my ears are too untrained to tell Accents are sexy, but I hate it when people try to copy slang and inflections from another culture when they are obviously not native :smalltongue:

what does that really have to do with this thread? >.>
    Why?

I assume you don't mean voice actors when you say that but what could possibly cause you to hate people for changing the way they speak?

That would mean no pirate accents! D:
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

This reminds me to ask, is there a different accent between American and Canadian? I'm Canadian, but everybody i met in Florida when I was visiting my grandmother spoke like the Canadians I've met. Admittedly I didn't meet many, but there it is
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    This reminds me to ask, is there a different accent between American and Canadian? I'm Canadian, but everybody i met in Florida when I was visiting my grandmother spoke like the Canadians I've met. Admittedly I didn't meet many, but there it is
    That's cause everyone is Florida are Canadian and Jewish.

First of all, where are you from? Eastern Canadian accents are very similar to New England accents, Central Canadian accents are very similar to Mid-Western American accents, West Coast accents are very similar across the board. Maritime and Quebecois accents are very distinctive, however.

And a southern accent will have very little in common with any Canadian accents.

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

Depends on the accent. As an english sounding lady, I find when doing voice chat on games to have guys complimenting my accent. Me personally, I prefer European (Finnish, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish... Nordic accents are awesome.) accents to American accents.
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    That's cause everyone is Florida are Canadian and Jewish.

First of all, where are you from? Eastern Canadian accents are very similar to New England accents, Central Canadian accents are very similar to Mid-Western American accents, West Coast accents are very similar across the board. Maritime and Quebecois accents are very distinctive, however.

And a southern accent will have very little in common with any Canadian accents.
    Southern Alberta, which is mountain standard. Western Canada then, so not a big difference between myself and this side of the continent. I suppose that makes sense
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: All the Chicas Love An Accent!

Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Depends on the accent. As an english sounding lady, I find when doing voice chat on games to have guys complimenting my accent. Me personally, I prefer European (Finnish, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish... Nordic accents are awesome.) accents to American accents.
    Can we swap? I love English accents but sadly I live amidst a lot of Danish ones. v_v

Or we could meet and hold a conversation entirely based on how awesome we think the other one's accent is!

Or kittens! I don't know what kittens have to do with anything but it's half past one O clock and at this time kittens are the answer to everything!
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Dvandemon View Post
    While I do realize now that there are different types of the British accent, my ears are too untrained to tell
    Rubbish. You think a Scottish accent sounds like a Welsh accent which sounds like an English accent? And that's just the countries, let alone the different areas of 'em.

(bleh Britain is not England insert rage here)
    Last edited by Dogmantra; 2011-03-12 at 08:04 PM.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Same with me and American accents, been told there exist more than Midwestern and Southern but blimey if I can tell a Chicago bloke from a Minnesota one.

I love almost all incarnations of English, though, so I wouldn't mind learning. ^_^
    I have a pretty typical Midwestern accent, though I've been known to carry a hint of a Southern accent from time to time. I can slip into a Kentucky-Tennessee accent pretty easily (though not by accident), as my family is largely from that area and I used to visit every summer.

Supposedly my speech patterns are reminiscent of British speech patterns, enough so that I've had more than one (supposedly) English person tell me so. (I know that British does not equal English, but I'm quoting English people, here.)

Anyhoo, for the most part, Chicago and Minnesota accents are pretty much the same. However, if you've ever seen any parodies of "Souttside" Chicago, they tend to be pretty dead-on. No matter how elaborate and cartoonish they seem, they're dead-on. Watch those old SNL "Bob Swerski's Superfans" skits, (you know, "Da Bears" ) they're pretty accurate.

People actually talk like this. This is not hyperbole. This happens.
    Last edited by Lyndworm; 2011-03-12 at 08:26 PM.
    Are any of my tables still broken?
    Visit Beautiful Gatazka Today!
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Heck, apparently even in the USA region to region this phenomenon happens. Two Kentucky girls recently told me they love my Floridian accent.

Admittedly, I LOVE theirs' as well. So feminine sounding for some reason.

Now, an Irish or Scottish accent.

However, Hispanic accents really, really annoy me. Being a Hispanic born in the US perhaps I have just had enough of them?

Basically, I figure it really is a person-by-person thing. Perhaps to a certain extent a regional thing as well to a certain extent, and it is definitely influenced by the media I think. Just like ideas of physical beauty are spread and enforced by the media, I feel ideals of beautiful accents are as well.
    I just want someone to hold me and tell me they love me. Especially when I am sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Skami Pilno View Post
    The man who is dominated by fear of death is already dead.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

People in central MN pretty much talk like Fargo. If you go down to the cities it pretty much completely disappears. Even up north where I grew up it isn't as pronounced and blends in with the Canadian accent.

I never cared for the UK variety of accents. Either too abrasive or I can't understand a single word (sorry Ireland). I go crazy for Aussie accents, though. Miranda from Mass Effect, Vanille from FFXIII, or Sierra from Dollhouse to name a few popular media example. Mannn....

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

I can do a stereotypical Nazi accent, and I've noticed that I tend to pronounce words more in the English fashion, sort of upper-classy, as far as I can tell.

But yes, I do like me some accents, as long as the speaker stays intellegible
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

25. - Top - End - #25

SolithKnightGuy

American accents: a very short primer.
    Lindworms not kidding. I don't sound like "Da Bears" guys because I've lived in multiple parts of the mid-west, but the differences are there. Media is slowly beating them out though.

Larry the Cable Guy? I have relatives in Missouri who sound just like that.

Minnesota accents sound like canadian-midwest or swedish accents, if they have one.

It's more a speech pattern thing that makes the difference inside the 4 main American accents.

New Englanders pahk the cah in the garahge.

Southerners tend to draawl out the words, ya'll.

Texans are hard to describe. It is a drawl as well but it doesn't sound like a south-eastern one.

Midwest/West Coast or "Western" is nearly without any major accent of its own. In those areas it's the way you say things that marks you out.

And then there are all the little ones in specific regions like:
    Cajan/French/hispanic sound in "N'awlins" (New Orleans)
    Boston accent which is the New England one turned up to 11.

The racially connected ones like the stereotypical:
    Black accent
    Hispanic accent and
    Asian accent.

Of course most of these are from people who just learned the language recently or grew up bi-lingual. It tends to fade after a generation or two.
    The "Black" accent is actually from having moved north from the deep south and settling in not-diverse neighborhoods. This caused linguistic shift away from both northern and southern accents. Poor education standards in low income areas that were unfortunately non-diverse have added to that as well. (Note: As the economic divides between the races have blurred, this accent becomes less about race and more about economic condition.)

Personally:
    I'm a sucker for two accents.

The Southern Belle: southern USA accent associated with Virginia the Carolinas and Georgia. It's also specifically the way a "well-bred" southern girl is supposed to sound.

South African: I love listening to South Africans speak, its a bit of a softer accent than Australian, but similar.

I also like accents from the British Isles and Eastern Europe, but not to the same level.

I'm likely to butcher Irish or Scottish accents while voicing my characters in RPGs, but I blame that on one particular guy in my group who thinks he's got it down really well. (He's wrong.)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GolemsVoice View Post
    I can do a stereotypical Nazi accent,

You mean the one where you can be singing about cookies and rainbows, yet it still sounds like you are angry?

In hindsight, that would be quite amusing...
    I just want someone to hold me and tell me they love me. Especially when I am sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Skami Pilno View Post
    The man who is dominated by fear of death is already dead.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Pika... View Post
    You mean the one where you can be singing about cookies and rainbows, yet it still sounds like you are angry?

In hindsight, that would be quite amusing...
    I've done that.

This girl I know, she doesn't have much of an accent, she lived in Maine for most of her life, but she was born in Tennessee, and I swear, when she puts on her southern accent, it's the cutest little thing you've ever seen.
    She drives me mad.

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Colossus in the Playground

Golem's Voice, that avatar is not by Djinn in Tonic.

Meh. After so much American TV and American film, American accents are just... common *shrug* I suppose there's some that can be enjoyable to listen to - like, say, "Southern belle" - but it's pretty much the default nowadays. Which is annoying for its own reasons
    What I REALLY hate is when someone who speaks English as their second language has a really heavy American accent. I find myself wishing hard that they use English-teaching tools from England...

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A lady once told me she felt safe with me because of my hard Brooklyn/Caribbean Accent.

I was angry that day through.

The odd thing I lack imposing size. I just sounded scary she said.
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

30. - Top - End - #30

I've never met someone with a real Southern accent so can't say much about that. The NY or LA accent doesn't do that much to me. The posh English accent makes me go absolutely crazy in a good way.

We have different dialects every 10 kmr here ove (no joke) and there isn't a universal sexy one. I don't like dialects that are too pronounced because I
    - Can't understand them
    - Find them very low class

Rakky

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lex-Kat View Post
    "Leave my Rakkoon alone!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    What shall I say to thee, rakkoon, thou cruel,
    Ingrateful, savage and inhuman creature,
    That knewst the very bottom of my soul,
    That almost mightst have coined me into gold
    Wouldst thou have practiced on me for thy use?
    Supa Songs about me

Thanks to Elder Tsofu for the banner and Rowsen for the avvie!