New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Operation: Indiscriminate Friendship

Aww, so that was why you were gone when I showed up My hockey game and various commitments kept me from showing until three.

*is sad she missed it*.

But I'm glad it went so well I agree with Gwyn Chan'r Gwyll: That man is win.
    Just remember - yelling "Who wrote this ****?!" at the top of your lungs is a normal and accepted part of the editing process.

The wizard who reads a thousand books is powerful. The wizard who memorises a thousand book is insane.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by FF Fanboy
    Undead have quasi-feelings, too!
    Thanks to kpenguin for the excellent avatar.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vella_Malachite View Post
    Aww, so that was why you were gone when I showed up My hockey game and various commitments kept me from showing until three.

*is sad she missed it*.

But I'm glad it went so well I agree with Gwyn Chan'r Gwyll: That man is win.
    Aww, I'm sorry. I was too successful!

For the record, we spent 1/2 an hour derping around after our table was repossessed (the low point of Derpy Day!) and walking between places, meaning that we were otherwise able to dispense one muffin and get one song every 3 minutes. That's a pretty darn good rate to be giving out free muffins!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

Nice, I am slightly sad that so few people dance or sang but it is still awesome to infinity.

Just one question though, 50 muffins, 48 videos. Where is evil enchantress number 44 and 50?

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

Would the first part of my sig be acceptable for one of your letters? I know it always makes me feel warm and fuzzy. LOVE WINS! Death, pain, and cruelty cannot win, because LOVE. ALWAYS. WINS.

EDIT: And then I realized I was much too late...
    Last edited by MartytheBioGuy; 2011-03-18 at 08:30 AM.
    Science and theater teacher, dad, recent returnee to the playground after a long absence

My avatar is my best attempt at recreating my old one, St. Pica, the angel with magpie wings. As before, he's not a lawyer, he's a cringey OC.

5. - Top - End - #65

Quote Originally Posted by Kairaven View Post
    Nice, I am slightly sad that so few people dance or sang but it is still awesome to infinity.

Just one question though, 50 muffins, 48 videos. Where is evil enchantress number 44 and 50?
    Number 44 chickened out post filming; 50 was meant to me but I'm a derp and forgot to film it. It'll come soonish.

EDIT: And then I realized I was much too late...
    Not at all! The Box of Friendship is still about a quarter full; I was planning some supplementary techniques to hand out the remainder - drop 'em in mailboxes, pidgeonholes, hand them across with change - and there's certainly nothing wrong with topping it up a bit.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

Oh. Hooray!
    Science and theater teacher, dad, recent returnee to the playground after a long absence

My avatar is my best attempt at recreating my old one, St. Pica, the angel with magpie wings. As before, he's not a lawyer, he's a cringey OC.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Since I don't really have time to sift through 48 videos, did any of them have any singing?

8. - Top - End - #68

Quote Originally Posted by DeadManSleeping View Post
    Since I don't really have time to sift through 48 videos, did any of them have any singing?
    The majority are simple dramatic reads, sadly. #16 actually sung, though.

Unfortunately there's a bit of a leap between 'read this out loud, random stranger' and 'sing this out loud, random stranger'.

9. - Top - End - #69

HOLY JESUS BALLER CHRIST WHAT THE FUDGE BARBEQUE

I just got this email:

Hi Thanqol,

My name is Amy Keating Rogers and I am the writer who wrote the My Little Pony episode "Bridle Gossip" where "Evil Enchantress" came from. I just wanted to say that it looks like it was a very fun project. I was just wondering what your goal was with it. What exactly did you set out to do? And did you accomplish it?

Thanks! Amy

JESUS HELLA SMEGGING NOODLESTRAINER BUSINESSCASE

10. - Top - End - #70

Noice! Look forward to seeing the video!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    THE PILLAR OF LETTERS:

And finally, I plan to distribute random, uplifting and inspiring letters to strangers. These should be the kind of messages that make you feel warm and appreciated. I want to use quotes from famous people, from the television show Friendship Is Magic, and generalized positive messages. I also want to convey messages from random people on the internet.
    I had an idea a little while ago, the gist of which was this: Write a whole lot of letters, with some little compliment on it: "Your hair looks nice today", "I wish I had your style", "Cheer up, you deserve to smile", "You have a beautiful face", that sort of thing. Each one would have a note on it saying "pass this on to someone else for whom it is true", and I'd leave them places or give them to people I think they apply to. The truthliness is important - "you're beautiful" is, in my opinion, pretty meaningless if it comes from someone who has never even seen you before. Positive honesty, requires truth. And then... just see where they end up, really.

11. - Top - End - #71

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Noice! Look forward to seeing the video!
    Video's up and in my sig!

I had an idea a little while ago, the gist of which was this: Write a whole lot of letters, with some little compliment on it: "Your hair looks nice today", "I wish I had your style", "Cheer up, you deserve to smile", "You have a beautiful face", that sort of thing. Each one would have a note on it saying "pass this on to someone else for whom it is true", and I'd leave them places or give them to people I think they apply to. The truthliness is important - "you're beautiful" is, in my opinion, pretty meaningless if it comes from someone who has never even seen you before. Positive honesty, requires truth. And then... just see where they end up, really.
    You're right! I'll keep this in mind for next Derpy Day!

12. - Top - End - #72

Video's up and in my sig!
    I thought you were putting them all together into one?
    You're right! I'll keep this in mind for next Derpy Day!
    Yay!

13. - Top - End - #73

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    I thought you were putting them all together into one?
    I genuinely have no idea how to do that, also lacking the software. I'm kinda waiting for someone to swoop in and dramatically rescue me splice the video.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateWench

HOLY JESUS BALLER CHRIST WHAT THE FUDGE BARBEQUE

I just got this email:

Hi Thanqol,

My name is Amy Keating Rogers and I am the writer who wrote the My Little Pony episode "Bridle Gossip" where "Evil Enchantress" came from. I just wanted to say that it looks like it was a very fun project. I was just wondering what your goal was with it. What exactly did you set out to do? And did you accomplish it?

Thanks! Amy

JESUS HELLA SMEGGING NOODLESTRAINER BUSINESSCASE
    Awesome.

What did you write back?

15. - Top - End - #75

Quote Originally Posted by Symmys View Post
    Awesome.

What did you write back?

My response:

ohmigoshohmigoshohmigoshohmigosh!!!!!

Ahem. Ahem. Okay. Calmly and reasonably:

For a lot of my life I was a huge introvert; over the past 3-4 years I've been focusing on being more extroverted and overcoming a lot of my social phobias. Maintaining a positive mindset, which comes with doing that, is it's own reward. Essentially I've been operating off the theory that "The world is a wonderful place where people do amazing things all the time for no reason" for a long time and finally decided to live up to some of my own hype.

I don't know where the idea came from, but it came after spending a late night rewatching the MLP series while talking about it on the internet. But I know clearly what I set out to do: Make some random people smile. Even if I didn't get any filming done, I would still have gone out and given away those free muffins out of the genuine belief that people should get free muffins.

I reckon I accomplished this.

It was a huge amount of fun all throughout. The Internet was super helpful and encouraging and the people I filmed were *weirdly* understanding. One guy made me a sweet sign for the stall, one guy gave me $20 for additional muffins, and one guy loaned me his expensive camera with no questions asked.

It was an act of indiscriminate friendship, and really made me realize just how great people are.

Thank you so much for responding! :D Your writing is both fantastic and inspiring, and I swear I'll watch that video the moment I'm out of this lecture!

- Daniel

P.S.: "That Video" is something she linked me to in her first message and I'd say it's the coolest thing I've seen all day but... actually, it is the coolest thing I've seen all day.

Hi Daniel,

Sounds like you went on a noble quest. I believe that folks should get free muffins as well! (As long as they are not those ones Applejack helped Pinkie Pie bake.)

I'm glad you enjoy MLP so much. It is a very fun show to write for. I feel very lucky writing for such fun characters.

Have a great day!

Amy

eeeeeeeeeeeee

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

P.S.: "That Video" is something she linked me to in her first message and I'd say it's the coolest thing I've seen all day but... actually, it is the coolest thing I've seen all day.
    Something personal, or can you please share with the class?

(The class is us)

17. - Top - End - #77

Quote Originally Posted by DeadManSleeping View Post
    Something personal, or can you please share with the class?

(The class is us)
    Oh goodness, I was sure I had linked that. So sorry to keep you hanging. Here.

18. - Top - End - #78

Have you thought about going to the "Media video/music" section of Ponychan and ask if any of those sound and video bronies would be interested in editing your video?
    "Winning with friendship means winning at life!"
    -Mako Mankanshoku

19. - Top - End - #79

Quote Originally Posted by Kairaven View Post
    Have you thought about going to the "Media video/music" section of Ponychan and ask if any of those sound and video bronies would be interested in editing your video?
    That is a great idea I thought of, began and then forgot about halfway through. Thank you for the reminder.

Technical difficulties have delayed #50 by two weeks; especially tragic as the battery went out halfway through the performance. I assure everyone that #50 will come and it will be classy.

20. - Top - End - #80

Thanqol, I may not have mentioned this, but you are a gentleman, a scholar, and a brony, and shouldn't afraid of anything.

21. - Top - End - #81

Okay bronies. Had to get in a fight and wreck my telephone for this but I'm finally done.

Operation: Indiscriminate Friendship Episode 50.

Thanks again for all the support. This was an absolute blast and I'm going to find some way to one up myself for next year.

22. - Top - End - #82

Well Thanqol, I must admit I was actually startled to see this here. You see, I actually saw your teacher reading the evil enchantress from a link sent by a IRL friend. It is rather awesome to see that you are a part of gitp

As people sometimes say, mad props!
    Inner Circle The Cookie Raid

Spoiler
    Show
    Credits: Avatar; ChrisTP Signature: Sneak, Trog, Ceika and Gengy
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by FdL View Post
    Life is the set up and Death's the punchline line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy View Post
    I give you the Master of sarcasm, (and puns).
    DEATH.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    Aww, dammit! You know I can't smite you when you're wearing those things!
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Oh, Captain Jack Sparrow, you must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.

23. - Top - End - #83

Quote Originally Posted by Death, your friend the Reaper View Post
    Well Thanqol, I must admit I was actually startled to see this here. You see, I actually saw your teacher reading the evil enchantress from a link sent by a IRL friend. It is rather awesome to see that you are a part of gitp

As people sometimes say, mad props!
    The playground is where it all began, man. Thanks!

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

Yay for #50!

Excellent silliness all around.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

25. - Top - End - #85

Hey bro, i like the way you do it. Hey guys, check out for this site which provide us with a lot of cool whatsapp status for free. :)
    Last edited by kengleong; 2016-03-13 at 03:47 AM.