New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground XIX

Phew, finally sent, only 30 minutes late this time
    DM: You exit the temple. Cleric, roll a knowledge(religion) check...
    Cleric: *passes* "Ah yes, now I recognise it, it was a temple to the god of traps!"
    Thief: *punches Cleric*

Iron Chef Contest Gallery:
    Spoiler
    Show
    IC XVII: Snow (Silver)
    IC XX: Sir Karel (Bronze)
    IC XXXII: 'Aundair' Yannedge-Owens (Gold)
    IC XXXII: Sir Arminel Rayne (Bronze)
    IC XXXIX: Hardy (Bronze)

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

T plus 3 hours. Good luck everyone. I'll have my judging finished within 1 week of the submissions being posted. (I'm gonna groan if there are 15 entries, but I'm gonna do it anyway!)
    Ding, You've Got Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Banned

GnomePirate

When are entries revealed?
    Last edited by Cartigan; 2011-03-21 at 11:43 PM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cartigan View Post
    When are entries revealed?
    Lately, it's when Shinken gets to it. I'd expect tomorrow morning or so.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Patience is an important part of the ICOC. One of the trickiest parts, sometimes.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

frown Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground XIX

Once again I pull out due to a combination of chronic procrastination, and hitting a hurdle in the build I was working on that I can't quite get over...

7. - Top - End - #97
    Banned

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Patience is an important part of the ICOC. One of the trickiest parts, sometimes.
    Patience? Madness!

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Patience? Madness!
    Spartaaaaaaaaaa
    English isn't my native. Sorry for all misunderstandings.
    Warning: This user is a powerplayer and a TYPE-Lunatic

Familiar summons YOU avatar by happyturtle

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Patience? Madness!
    To-may-to, to-mah-to.
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Barbarian in the Playground

i wanna see some pirates!!!
    english not base lenguage, sry for the grammar, thanks.

Kael Proudmoure, Swifblade (avatar by Loki Eremes)
    Unlimited arcane technique: Spell, Sword, and Fist.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pilvento View Post
    i wanna see some pirates!!!
    Be grateful I didn't enter. I'd love an excuse to use an illustration from one of my son's books.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Oh, and DFTBA.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Banned

GnomePirate

I was going to use an illustration from HeroMaker but I pressed the wrong button and it deleted before I could save it (because HeroMaker 2 doesn't have a save to image) and then I was like "screw that."
    Last edited by Cartigan; 2011-03-22 at 03:52 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Banned

Ladies and gentlemen, get ready for our great reveal!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacinta
    Jacinta Marzoni
    Spoiler
    Show

"The third most famous story they tell about Jacinta Marzoni is about how she was born. When people asked about her childhood, trying to figure out what hellish upbringing must have produced the adult she became, Marzoni would say in an offhandedly proud way that she had been born aboard ship. Which was technically true, but it had been only a fishing boat and unfortunate timing, and mother and baby had been back on land within the hour . . . but it was on the ocean, and therefore definitely an omen of things to come. Or so they say.

She was eleven when she ran away from the little changeling village on the inlet, and joined the caravan to the nearby port. She was twelve when she signed on aboard her first real ship, lying through her teeth about her age and with a carefully practised false face on to help the lie along.

From there she spent the next ten years either onboard or in port. In the sailing season she would be on any ship willing to take her, learning how to make the ropes and spars of a ship dance to her tune. In the monsoon, when any captain with half a brain between their ears ran the keel up the sand and went ashore for three months, she thrived in the damp back alleys and smoky taverns of the port cities, taking purses and cutting throats.

In her twenties the dull to-and-fro of merchant sailing began to grate. It was still exhilarating simply to be aboard, to ride the bucking deck and dance from spar to spar, rigging twanging around her and the sails full; but as the ships got bigger and the posts more senior, so too the voyages tended to be longer, ponderous expeditions from one horn of the continent to the other, when the crew would go for six or eight months without sight of land. And for all she loved the sea, land was important to Marzoni: on land you could spend money. On land, you could slit some braying idiot's throat and simply vanish in a way for which the limits of a ship did not allow. On land there were taverns, and eating-houses, and gambling-dens - places to drop a whisper in a ready ear, to spin a tale for a nervous crowd, to put on a fresh false face and waltz into a fight with a smile on her lips and bloody murder in mind.

Once the boredom had set in, it was really only a matter of time.

The second most famous story they tell about Jacinta Marzoni is that of how she captured the Royal Breeze, pride and joy of the Sixth Navy, with - they say - no accomplices and no plan. The story is enlarged in the telling, of course. In reality, the captain of the Breeze, Arcadio Leocante, was an incompetent of the highest order, a spoiled brat of a noble house who bought his commission with ancestral gold and could barely tell one end of a ship from the other. There would have been a mutiny in any case; the presence of Jacinta Marzoni, who saw the sidelong stares and heard the rebellious whispers and flitted from group to group wearing the faces of their friends, merely stirred an already seething pot. In any case she could never have taken the ship without the able assistance of various other sailors, soldiers and the ship's mage, who saw profit and fame in throwing in their lot with the pirate.

The part, however, where she personally duelled Captain Leocante (whose expensive education had at least taught him to fence) and left him bleeding on his own forecastle with seventeen wounds to the back, is mostly true.

As captain by acclamation of the Breeze, she renamed it the Changeling's Wind, installed her party of ruffian friends as senior officers and gave her new crew the choice of sailing under the red flag or trying to swim home. None of them, it should be noted, chose the latter.

Under the crimson pennant Captain Jacinta Marzoni sailed back to her native waters and began one of the more spectacular piratical careers that the Seven Navies had ever seen. Other pirates had been circumspect, taking ships far from home and leaving little trace; Marzoni appeared not to know the meaning of stealth, seemingly revelling as much in the flash and dash of performing for a horrified but fascinated crowd as she did in the simple joys of pillage and murder. She was always in the thick of the fight, cartwheeling across a packed and slippery and rocking deck as if it were solid and steady ground, never in the line of an attack and yet somehow always striking one home.

Or so say the tall tales they tell of Jacinta Marzoni and her gang of cut-throats - Jacinta Marzoni, who could look you in the eye and still manage to stab you in the back, who could strike fear into the hearts of the doughtiest naval officers with a mere smile, who could take on and off her faces as easily as the pirate-kings of old slipped off their masks, and who commanded the most ruthless pirate band between here and the Eastern Sea.

The truth is she was a good sailor, yes, but there were better in her crew; a good fighter, but there were better in her crew; and no kind of tactician at all. Without her crew she would have been scarcely anything, just another jumped-up guttersnipe with a few neat tricks; and without her, the crew she amassed would have been no more than another band of thugs. I say she commanded the Wind - one might say she was less a captain than a figurehead, a catalyst, a focusing lens even; the oversized personality needed to transmute a career that is, at bottom, as sordid and banal as piracy into the stuff of nightmare and legend.

The single most famous story about Jacinta Marzoni is that of how she walked onto a royal galleon, false face smiling and daggers in her sleeves, and two hours later sailed it away to rendezvous with the Changeling's Wind, with the crown jewels of two countries in her treasure chest and no fewer than four royal hostages cowering in chains -"

"I haven't heard that one," Crown Prince Gianni said weakly, as the high-cheekboned - and singularly attractive - elf storyteller turned over another sheet of her manuscript.

The elf's face began to flatten and change in the dim light below decks. Her teeth glinted. She really was very beautiful. "No. No, you wouldn't have. Yet."

Abilities & Race
    Spoiler
    Show

STR 11 +1
    DEX 16 +2
    CON 14
    INT 13
    WIS 10
    CHA 14 +2
    32 point buy, +1 Str at level 4, +1 Dex at 8 & 12, +1 Cha at 16 & 20

Alignment: Chaotic Evil

Race: Changeling
    Humanoid with the Shapechanger Subtype
    +2 racial bonus on saving throws vs sleep and charm effects
    +2 racial bonus on Bluff, Intimidate and Sense Motive
    Natural Linguist - Speak Language is always a class skill
    Minor Change Shape - can alter physical appearance as though using a Disguise Self spell

Level Progression
    Spoiler
    Show

Jacinta Marzoni
    {table=head]Level|Class|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Skills|Feats|Class Features

1st|Changeling Rogue Substitution 1|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |Appraise 4, Balance 4, Bluff 4, Climb 4, Diguise 4, Initimidate 4, Profession (Sailor) 4, Spot 4, Swim 4, Tumble 4, Use Rope 4|Combat Expertise|Sneak attack +1d6, social intuition

2nd|Rogue 2|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |Appraise 5, Bluff 5, Diguise 5, Initimidate 5, Profession (Sailor) 5, Spot 5, Tumble 5, +1 skill trick|SKILL TRICK (Second Impression)|Evasion

3rd|Changeling Rogue Substitution 3|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |Appraise 6, Balance 5, Bluff 6, Climb 5, Initimidate 6, Jump 1, Profession (Sailor) 6, Spot 6, Tumble 6, +1 skill trick|Weapon Finesse, SKILL TRICK (Speedy Ascent)|Sneak attack +2d6, minor lore

4th|Rogue 4|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Appraise 7, Balance 6, Bluff 7, Climb 6, Initimidate 7, Jump 2, Profession (Sailor) 7, Spot 7, Tumble 7||Uncanny dodge

5th|Rogue 5|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Appraise 8, Balance 7, Bluff 8, Climb 7, Initimidate 8, Jump 3, Profession (Sailor) 8, Spot 8, Tumble 8||Sneak attack +3d6

6th|Rogue 6|
    +4
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |Balance 9, Bluff 9, Climb 9, Initimidate 9, Jump 4, Spot 9, Tumble 9|Quick Draw|

7th|Dread Pirate 1|
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +7
    |
    +2
    |Balance 10, Bluff 10, Climb 10, Initimidate 10, Jump 5, Spot 10, Tumble 10||Seamanship, two-weapon fighting

8th|Dread Pirate 2|
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +8
    |
    +2
    |Bluff 11, Initimidate 11, Jump 6, Spot 11, Tumble 11, +1 skill trick|SKILL TRICK (Twisted Charge)|Fearsome reputation (Dishonourable) +2

9th|Dread Pirate 3|
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +8
    |
    +3
    |Bluff 12, Initimidate 12, Jump 7, Spot 12, Tumble 12, +1 skill trick|Improved Feint, SKILL TRICK (Nimble Stand)|Sneak attack +4d6

10th|Uncanny Trickster 1|
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +10
    |
    +3
    |Balance 12, Bluff 13, Climb 12, Initimidate 13, Jump 6, Spot 13, Tumble 13||Bonus trick (Group Fake-Out), favourite trick (Group Fake-Out)

11th|Uncanny Trickster 2|
    +8
    |
    +3
    |
    +11
    |
    +3
    |Balance 14, Bluff 14, Climb 14, Initimidate 14, Jump 7, Spot 14, Tumble 14||Bonus trick (Acrobatic Backstab), favourite trick (Acrobatic Backstab), sneak attack +5d6

12th|Changeling Rogue Substituion 8*|
    +9
    |
    +3
    |
    +12
    |
    +3
    |Balance 15, Bluff 15, Climb 15, Initimidate 15, Jump 12, Spot 15, Tumble 15|Acrobatic Strike|Mutable anatomy

13th|Uncanny Trickster 3|
    +10
    |
    +4
    |
    +12
    |
    +4
    |Balance 16, Bluff 16, Climb 16, Initimidate 16, Jump 15, Spot 16, Tumble 16||Bonus trick (Spot the Weak Point), favourite trick (Spot the Weak Point), tricky defense, sneak attack +6d6

14th|Dread Pirate 4|
    +11
    |
    +4
    |
    +13
    |
    +4
    |Balance 17, Bluff 17, Climb 17, Initimidate 17, Jump 16, Spot 17, Tumble 17||Acrobatic charge, steady stance

15th|Dread Pirate 5|
    +12
    |
    +4
    |
    +13
    |
    +4
    |Balance 18, Bluff 18, Climb 18, Initimidate 18, Jump 17, Spot 18, Tumble 18|Staggering Strike|Scourge of the seas

16th|Dread Pirate 6|
    +13
    |
    +5
    |
    +14
    |
    +5
    |Balance 19, Bluff 19, Climb 19, Initimidate 19, Jump 18, Spot 19, Tumble 19||Fearsome reputation (Dishonourable) +4

17th|Dread Pirate 7|
    +14
    |
    +5
    |
    +14
    |
    +5
    |Balance 20, Bluff 20, Climb 20, Initimidate 20, Jump 19, Spot 20, Tumble 20||Sneak attack +7d6

18th|Dread Pirate 8|
    +15
    |
    +5
    |
    +15
    |
    +5
    |Balance 21, Bluff 21, Climb 21, Initimidate 21, Jump 20, Spot 21, Tumble 21|Tumbling Feint|Skill mastery

19th|Dread Pirate 9|
    +16
    |
    +6
    |
    +15
    |
    +6
    |Balance 22, Bluff 22, Climb 22, Initimidate 22, Jump 21, Spot 22, Tumble 22||Motivate the scum

20th|Dread Pirate 10|
    +17
    |
    +6
    |
    +16
    |
    +6
    |Balance 23, Bluff 23, Climb 23, Initimidate 23, Jump 22, Spot 23, Tumble 23||Fearsome reputation (Dishonourable) +6, pirate queen[/table]

*This is not a typo, as Uncanny Trickster levels 2 & 3 give all class features and an effective level in a previous class - more on this later

Build at Level 20
    Spoiler
    Show

Jacinta Marzoni
    Rogue 7/Uncanny Trickster 3/Dread Pirate 10
    Changeling, Medium Humanoid (Shapechanger)
    HD: 6 +9d6 +10d8 +40 (122HP)
    Initiative: +4
    Speed: 30ft
    AC: 14 (10, +4 DEX)
    BAB/Grapple: +17/+18
    Attack: +21 (ranged and Finesse melee weapons)
    Full Attack: +21/+16/+11/+6
    Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft
    Special Qualities: Social Intuition, Evasion, Minor Lore, Uncanny Dodge, Seamanship, Two-Weapon Fighting, Bonus Trick (Group Fake-Out), Favourite Trick (Group Fake-Out), Bonus Trick (Acrobatic Backstab), Favourite Trick (Acrobatic Backstab), Mutable Anatomy, Bonus Trick (Spot the Weak Point), Favourite Trick (Spot the Weak Point), Tricky Defense, Acrobatic Charge, Steady Stance, Scourge of the Seas, Sneak Attack +7d6, Skill Mastery, Motivate the Scum, Fearsome Reputation (Dishonourable) +6, Pirate Queen
    Saves: Fort +8, Ref +20, Will +6 (+2 to all vs Sleep & Charm effects, +1 to all when using a Skill Trick)
    Abilities: Str 12, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 16
    Skills: Appraise +9, Balance +29 (extra +10 when taking damage), Bluff +28, Climb +24 (extra +10 when taking damage), Diguise +8 (+18 if using Minor Shape Change), Initimidate +36, Jump +23, Profession (Sailor) +18, Spot +23, Swim +5, Tumble +29, Use Rope +8
    Feats: Combat Expertise, Weapon Finesse, Quick Draw, Improved Feint, Staggering Strike, Acrobatic Strike, Tumbling Feint
    Skill Tricks: Second Impression, Speedy Ascent, Twisted Charge, Nimble Stand, Group Fake-Out, Acrobatic Backstab, Spot the Weak Point

Build Explanation
    Spoiler
    Show

I decided to go for the Dishonourable Reputation route through the class, as I wanted to go for a more combat-oriented Rogue character than the honourable route linking through a Bard support character. Jacinta may not be as powerful as other combat classes in most situations, but she is deadly in her element - onboard ship. Her wide array of skills are all focused on making her as capable as possible at working on her ship, commanding her crew and taking on her enemies in pitched battles on an unsteady deck. The skill tricks and Uncanny Trickster PrC from Complete Scoundrel add even more to this, giving her special moves and more uses for skills that suit her Dread Pirate abilities and flashy swashbuckler style of combat.

The Swashbuckler class was an obvious idea for this character as the fluff suits her perfectly, but other than Insightful Strike there was little else that Dread Pirate and Skill Tricks didn't already provide, and a 3-level dip for one ability seemed too much of a waste. Choosing Changeling for the race made complete sense when I saw them, their racial abilities blend well and their Rogue Substitution levels gave me valuable skill points early on for all the skill requirements and Tricks I needed. Trapfinding and Trap Sense aren't rwally necessary on a ship so I was happy to swap them out for something more interesting, and Mutable Anatomy (which essentially gives you 50% fortification) is vastly superior to Improved Uncanny Dodge when you only have 9 Rogue levels at Level 20. Uncanny Trickster gave me more Skill Tricks to use and lets me use the best ones twice in one encounter, and also has the interesting ability of effectively giving you a level in your previous class at 2nd and 3rd levels - hence the extra two levels of Rogue. I considered using this to take 10 levels of Dread Pirate with only 8 levels in it, but that would probably be going too far.

Tactics for Jacinta should be fairly obvious - whip your crew into a frenzy, intimidate your foes to weaken their resolve then charge in for the kill. Group Fake-Out lets you deal sneak attack damage to lots of foes at once, while Spot the Weak Point gives you a chance to hit a single high-AC target, as it's much easier to raise your Spot modifier than your To Hit. Acrobatic Backstab and Acrobatic Strike is a combination I have used with great success - gaining +4 to hit a foe AND rendering them flat-footed in a single Tumble move action. Add a weapon like the Sword of Subtlety (+4 to attacks and damage for sneak attacks) and you should have no trouble dealing large amounts of damage to any living enemies. Staggering Strike is always useful against those irritating undead, as is the spell Gravestrike, which I always get made into a ring when playing a Rogue.

Sources
    Spoiler
    Show

Races of Eberron - Changeling race & Rogue racial substitution levels
    Complete Adventurer - Dread Pirate, Staggering Strike feat
    Complete Scoundrel - Uncanny Trickster, skill tricks
    Player's Handbook II - Acrobatic Strike & Tumbling Feint feats
    SRD - everything else

14. - Top - End - #104
    Banned

There's a lot of emphasis on the Dread part here.

Quote Originally Posted by 4 Fingers
    Captain Four Fingers
    CE Human Paragon 3/Barbarian 2/Dread Pirate 5/Avenging Executioner 5/Dread Pirate +5
    The Build

Spoiler
    Show
    {table=head]LEVEL|CLASS|BAB|FORT|REF|WILL|SKILLS|FEATS|CLASS FEATURES|
    1|Human Paragon 1|+0|+0|+0|+2|Appraise 4;Intimidate 4;Knowledge (geography) 4;Profession (sailor) 4;Survival 2;Swim 2;Use Magic Device 4;Use Rope 4|Snatch Trophy, Dreadful Wrath|Adaptive Learning: Knowledge (Geography)
    2|Human Paragon 2|+1|+0|+0|+3|Appraise 5;Intimidate 5;Knowledge (geography) 5;Profession (sailor) 5;Survival 3;Swim 3;Use Magic Device 5;Use Rope 4|Weapon Finesse|Bonus Feat
    3|Human Paragon 3|+2|+1|+1|+3|Appraise 6;Intimidate 6;Knowledge (geography) 6;Profession (sailor) 6;Survival 4;Swim 4;Use Magic Device 6;Use Rope 4|Quick Draw|Ability Boost +2 (DEX)
    4|Lion Totem Barbarian 1|+3|+3|+1|+3|Appraise 7 (cc);Intimidate 7;Knowledge (geography) 7;Profession (sailor) 7 (cc);Survival 4;Swim 4;Use Magic Device 6.5 (cc);Use Rope 4||Whirling Frenzy 1/day, pounce
    5|Lion Totem Barbarian 2|+4|+4|+1|+3|Appraise 8 (cc);Intimidate 8;Knowledge (geography) 8;Profession (sailor) 8 (cc);Survival 4;Swim 4;Use Magic Device 7 (cc);Use Rope 4||Uncanny Dodge
    6|Dread Pirate 1|+5|+4|+3|+3|Appraise 8;Balance 1;Bluff 1;Climb 1;Intimidate 9;Jump 1;Knowledge (geography) 9;Profession (sailor) 9;Survival 4;Swim 4;Tumble 1;Use Magic Device 7.5 (cc);Use Rope 4|Bloodsoaked Intimidation, Two-Weapon Fighting|Seamanship
    7|Dread Pirate 2|+6/+1|+4|+4|+3|Appraise 8;Balance 1;Bluff 2;Climb 1;Hide 1 (cc);Intimidate 10;Jump 1;Knowledge (geography) 10;Move Silently 1 (cc);Profession (sailor) 10;Survival 4;Swim 4;Tumble 1;Use Magic Device 8 (cc);Use Rope 4||Fearsome Reputation (Intimidate +2)
    8|Dread Pirate 3|+7/+2|+5|+4|+4|Appraise 8;Balance 1;Bluff 3;Climb 1;Hide 2 (cc);Intimidate 11;Jump 1;Knowledge (geography) 11;Move Silently 2 (cc);Profession (sailor) 11;Survival 4;Swim 4;Tumble 1;Use Magic Device 8.5 (cc);Use Rope 4||Sneak attack +1d6
    9|Dread Pirate 4|+8/+3|+5|+5|+4|Appraise 8;Balance 1;Bluff 4;Climb 1;Hide 3 (cc);Intimidate 12;Jump 1;Knowledge (geography) 12;Move Silently 3 (cc);Profession (sailor) 12;Survival 4;Swim 4;Tumble 1;Use Magic Device 9 (cc);Use Rope 4|Imperious Command|Acrobatic Charge, Steady Stance
    10|Dread Pirate 5|+9/+4|+5|+5|+4|Appraise 8;Balance 1;Bluff 5;Climb 1;Hide 4 (cc);Intimidate 13;Jump 1;Knowledge (geography) 13;Move Silently 4 (cc);Profession (sailor) 13;Survival 4;Swim 4;Tumble 1;Use Magic Device 9.5 (cc);Use Rope 4||Scourge of the Seas
    11|Avenging Executioner 1|+9/+4|+5|+7|+6|Appraise 8;Balance 2;Bluff 5;Climb 2;Hide 4;Intimidate 14;Jump 2;Knowledge (geography) 14;Move Silently 4;Profession (sailor) 14;Survival 4.5 (cc);Swim 4;Tumble 1.5 (cc);Use Magic Device 10 (cc);Use Rope 4||Bloody blade, Sudden Strike +1d6
    12|Avenging Executioner 2|+10/+5|+5|+8|+7|Appraise 8;Balance 3;Bluff 5;Climb 3;Hide 4;Intimidate 15;Jump 3;Knowledge (geography) 15;Move Silently 4;Profession (sailor) 15;Survival 5 (cc);Swim 4;Tumble 2 (cc);Use Magic Device 10.5 (cc);Use Rope 4|Craven|Rapid Intimidation
    13|Avenging Executioner 3|+11/+6/+1|+6|+8|+7|Appraise 8;Balance 4;Bluff 5;Climb 4;Hide 4;Intimidate 16;Jump 4;Knowledge (geography) 16;Move Silently 4;Profession (sailor) 16;Survival 5.5 (cc);Swim 4;Tumble 2.5 (cc);Use Magic Device 11 (cc);Use Rope 4||Sudden Strike +2d6
    14|Avenging Executioner 4|+12/+7/+2|+6|+9|+8|Appraise 8;Balance 5;Bluff 5;Climb 5;Hide 4;Intimidate 17;Jump 5;Knowledge (geography) 17;Move Silently 4;Profession (sailor) 17;Survival 6 (cc);Swim 4;Tumble 3 (cc);Use Magic Device 11.5 (cc);Use Rope 4||Dread blade
    15|Avenging Executioner 5|+12/+7/+2|+6|+9|+8|Appraise 8;Balance 6;Bluff 5;Climb 6;Hide 4;Intimidate 18;Jump 6;Knowledge (geography) 18;Move Silently 4;Profession (sailor) 18;Survival 6 (cc);Swim 4;Tumble 4 (cc);Use Magic Device 12 (cc);Use Rope 4|Improved Two-Weapon Fighting|Bloody murder, Sudden Strike +3d6
    16|Dread Pirate 6|+13/+8/+3|+7|+10|+9|Appraise 8;Balance 7;Bluff 5;Climb 7;Hide 4;Intimidate 19;Jump 7;Knowledge (geography) 19;Move Silently 4;Profession (sailor) 19;Survival 6.5 (cc);Swim 4;Tumble 5;Use Magic Device 12.5 (cc);Use Rope 4||Fearsome Reputation (Intimidate +4)
    17|Dread Pirate 7|+14/+9/+4|+7|+10|+9|Appraise 8;Balance 8;Bluff 5;Climb 8;Hide 4;Intimidate 20;Jump 8;Knowledge (geography) 20;Move Silently 4;Profession (sailor) 20;Survival 7 (cc);Swim 4;Tumble 6;Use Magic Device 13 (cc);Use Rope 4||Sneak attack +2d6
    18|Dread Pirate 8|+15/+10/+5|+7|+11|+9|Appraise 8;Balance 9;Bluff 5;Climb 9;Hide 4;Intimidate 21;Jump 9;Knowledge (geography) 21;Move Silently 4;Profession (sailor) 21;Survival 7.5 (cc);Swim 4;Tumble 7;Use Magic Device 13.5 (cc);Use Rope 4|Greater Two-Weapon Fighting|Skill Mastery
    19|Dread Pirate 9|+16/+11/+6/+1|+8|+11|+10|Appraise 8;Balance 10;Bluff 5;Climb 10;Hide 4;Intimidate 22;Jump 10;Knowledge (geography) 22;Move Silently 4;Profession (sailor) 22;Survival 8 (cc);Swim 4;Tumble 8;Use Magic Device 14 (cc);Use Rope 4||Motivate the Scum
    20|Dread Pirate 10|+17/+12/+7/+2|+8|+12|+10|Appraise 8;Balance 11;Bluff 5;Climb 11;Hide 4;Intimidate 23;Jump 11;Knowledge (geography) 23;Move Silently 4;Profession (sailor) 23;Survival 8;Swim 4;Tumble 9;Use Magic Device 15 (cc);Use Rope 4||Fearsome Reputation (Intimidate +6), Pirate King[/table]

{table=head]ATTRIBUTE|POINTS|BASE|LEVELS|OTHER|TOTAL|MOD
    STR|0|8|0|0|8|-1
    DEX|10|16|2|2|20|+5
    CON|3|11|0|0|11|+0
    INT|6|14|0|0|14|+2
    WIS|0|8|0|0|8|-1
    CHA|13|17|3|0|20|+5[/table]

The Legend of Captain Four Fingers

Spoiler
    Show
    He wasn’t always himself, you know. Captain Four Fingers grew up with the hard winters of Rashemen just like many of our crew. However, he wasn’t content to keep to the north. He was always running along the shoreline, gazing off down the lake into the river beyond. While the others learned to hunt and skin bears, he instead pored over old nautical maps and charts he had found, hopelessly out of date. He caused some murmurs when he began chopping down trees. Some nonsense about building a boat, the Witches heard, a real fool’s errand. They turned a blind eye toward the boy until he started making trouble, running along the shoreline and pointing off to the south while shouting about a way to the warm sea. After a while, he began saying how he found a course through Thay into the Alaor and straight to the Sea of Fallen Stars—that he was going and never looking back.
    If the Red Wizards heard of this plan, there would be dire consequences. The Thayans didn’t take too kindly to any incursions into their territory, so the Witches decided to warn the Captain in true Rashemi fashion. In the night, they dragged him out of his home to the waterfront. As the boy watched, they burnt his fledgling seacraft to the ground. Then, they held his index finger outstretched one final time and lopped it off.

Well now, if the Witches had known anything about the Captain, they’d have known that he’s as persistent as the sea itself. He kept on building his boat, awkwardly clutching his axe between his working fingers. All they did was slow his inevitable progress; after a few years, he had his boat built. He set off for the sea through Thay, sparking a war that still rattles on to this day between the two nations. Whenever he was stopped at a port, he would trade off to the nicest ship he could see, killing the captain without a word. He’d frighten the other crewmen into submission, and they’d have the option of joining him or offing themselves. He took a trophy from each of his victims—the index finger of their left hand. Rumors started swirling like whirlpools that he was looking for a match to replace that which the Witches had stolen before returning home to face them.

He made his way to the sea, trading up from stolen vessel to stolen vessel along the way, his numbers growing along with his collection of trophies. Rather than toss ‘em, he strung ‘em all through and put ‘em around his neck as some sort of grisly wreath. As he got richer and richer, he just got scarier. He started carrying around a bag o’ daggers to make his time easier, dropping his blade to break off a digit and pull another from his bag for his next victim. The hellish thing of it was, he wasn’t too bad a sailor. Once saw him power through a gale that’d swallow a kraken with nary a care.

As his fleet grew, so did his reputation. Got to be that some wouldn’t even fight the man, choosing instead to run from the decks and hurl themselves asea. Some fought with wits, others with magic, but Captain Four Fingers fought with fear. The idea of the man grew more fearsome than the man himself, some said. Of course, none dared cross him in port or meet with his vessel in the water. They liked their fingers where they were, rather than round his neckpiece.

His men started fighting like him, mutilating their victims beyond recognition and taking some sick glee in all of it. Time and again, he’d kill one of his own men for the delight of the others. Some foolish boys decided to join up with him, figuring it was the better option than dying at his hand. Some even cut off their own fingers, thinking it a gift for the captain, a show of loyalty. He’d just drag ‘em out in front of his enemies and slice ‘em up one by one, reminding his foes how he got his reputation. What kind of captain kills his own crew?

Now I know, I know, you might think this a fable, boy. But I swear it to ya: that boat, coming at us from the typhoon over port? The one with nary a soul aboard? That’s him, coming to refresh his ranks. Take my cutlass, son. I’m the captain, so I’ve got to go down with The Adalia. But you still have a choice; do the right thing, and save yourself the horror.

Tactics

Spoiler
    Show
    • Levels 1-5: The captain chooses an odd route for these first few levels, a DEX-focused charger. He uses an axe at this level to keep his damage respectable. His real power, however, comes from Dreadful Wrath. With this, he can trigger the ability on a charge to render enemies within 20 feet shaken if they fail their save. Not only is that a potent debuff at low levels, but he can follow this in the next round with an Intimidate check against an adjacent enemy, escalating their condition to frightened. While this takes up a standard action (and usually means he can’t attack), the fact that his prey is frightened means they will have to flee from him, triggering an attack of opportunity. Since he only has one iterative attack at this level, the captain isn’t really giving anything up with this tactic. Adaptive Learning ensures that he can continue his knowledge of navigation (since that’s the truly tricky part of sailing in D&D). Weapon Finesse and Uncanny Dodge mean that the Captain is benefitting from his DEX/CHA focus, while Whirling Frenzy 1/day allows him another attack when he needs one. He also gains Pounce from the Lion Spiritual Totem, but this really doesn’t become a factor until we receive our second iterative attack.
    • Levels 6-10: Speak of the devil! Not only do we get our second iterative attack, but we also gain another attack via Two-Weapon Fighting, since we’ve entered our secret ingredient. Dreadful Wrath, Pounce, and Acrobatic Charge mean that we’ll be charging whenever possible with three attacks (four if we’re in a Whirling Frenzy). Sneak attack provides a source of bonus damage and fearsome reputation adds a bonus to our demoralizing, but the star of the show here is Bloodsoaked Intimidation. When you drop a foe, you can snatch a trophy as a free action to demoralize an adjacent opponent! However, at 10th level, that adjacent opponent becomes all opponents within 30 feet. All within 20 have to save vs. shaken from Dreadful Wrath, and then face the Intimidate check or become demoralized, escalating their condition to frightened. Furthermore, we toss on Imperious Command to make them cower for a round before being frightened for CHA rounds (and shaken for a minute). The only limitation to this is that we have to have a hand free to snatch our trophy, something that’s at odd with Two-Weapon Fighting. But wait! Thanks to Quick Draw, we can drop a weapon (free action), grab a finger (Free action), and draw another weapon (free action), leaving us ready to continue the pain in the next round. It is here that the Captain functions nicely as a crowd control vehicle, especially since immunity to fear isn’t entirely common at this level of play.
    • Levels 11-15: Ah, the Fear Factory. We still use the same tactic as above, but it now becomes a lot more potent. Craven and Sudden Strike increase our damage output (along with the additional attack from Improved Two-Weapon Fighting). We still have our group fear tactic in place, but it’s made even sweeter by the Avenging Executioner. Whenever a foe is shaken or worse, we treat them as flat-footed for dealing sudden strike damage. Check with your DM, but I read that to include sneak attack damage and Craven bonus damage. We can pounce at our foes, triggering Dreadful Wrath before the strike (as per the article here). So the target is already shaken, meaning that we get to do all of our delicious bonus damage on a full attack (6 attacks on a whirling frenzy). Furthermore, whenever we drop a target, not only can we snatch a trophy to freely intimidate foes within 30 feet, but foes that see it with less HD than the Captain have to save or become frightened (possibly panicked if they already failed against Dreadful Wrath). Keep in mind, Imperious Command means that they still cower for one round first, shutting down any foes that aren’t immune to fear. Level 15 is the sweet spot of the build because of this delicious cycle.
    • Levels 16-20: Skill Mastery allows us to move more freely around the deck, and fearsome reputation is great to make sure we can keep boosting our Intimidate checks, but the real belle of the ball here is Motivate the Scum when used in conjunction with Pirate King. All of the Captain’s abilities (Dreadful Wrath, Snatch Trophy/Bloodsoaked Intimidate, Bloody Blade, Bloody Murder, and Motivate the Scum) don’t specify that you have to attack an enemy. While Dreadful Wrath mentions it while spellcasting, there’s no restriction on charging or attacking. Motivate the Scum specifies the greater bonus on damage when killing a member of your own crew, and the other abilities mention a creature. So what better to do with and endless bevy of low-level followers than to kill them to buff your allies and frighten your foes? It’s easier to drop them, so you have a better shot of triggering your abilities that affect an area. On a full attack or charge, you’re pouncing for 7 attacks (8 with Whirling Frenzy), each doing 1d4+5d6+24 damage (since targets that are shaken or worse are treated as flatfooted and you get the +4 damage bonus for Motivate the Scum). You’re a whirling machine of death, so scary that enemies can’t even look at you without turning tail. Now, I realize that some creatures and classes are immune to fear—please see my Notes section for ideas on dealing with them.

Secret Ingredient at a Glance
    Spoiler
    Show

• Seamanship: A bonus to Profession Sailor means that, by 20th level, the Captain is at a +32 modifier, meaning that he can stop his boat from foundering in a hurricane BY HIMSELF as long as he rolls a 3 or higher. With a full crew, he auto-succeeds the check to stop foundering in a dire gale. Even though this is impressive, good steering doesn’t mean a thing if you don’t know where you’re going. Because of this, we’ve maxed Knowledge (geography) for a +25 modifier, meaning that he knows the ways to Mythical or Legendary locations just by taking 10. His survival ranks allow him to get along on the open seas with a roll of 13 or better—though it’s not as high as I’d like, hopefully he won’t find himself asea without provisions too frequently. The real reason for the ranks is to meet the DCs for getting along in the wild (on land), keeping from getting lost, and predicting the weather a day in advance. By taking 10, the Captain can auto-succeed on these by 20th level. The +5 bonus on profession (sailor) for his crew is just icing on the cake, useful for siege engines and crew sailing checks.
    • Two-Weapon Fighting: the presence of this feat was begging for a pounce ability, which originally gave me the idea of a DEX-focused barbarian (of all things). The sneak attack granted by the class helps with bonus damage, as does Motivate the Scum. Pounce, the TWF feat tree, and the Whirling Frenzy variant all give me more attacks, which means more chances to activate Bloodsoaked Intimidate, Bloody Blade, or Bloody Murder.
    • Fearsome Reputation: Since the opposed check to avoid being demoralized gets bonuses of its own, a bonus to Intimidate is always helpful. A +6 bonus is great, especially one that’s always active. Some other options are out there (most notably the Beguiling Influence invocation), but that can be stopped by Dispel Magic or an anti-magic field.
    • Sneak attack: As mentioned under Two-Weapon Fighting, this is a great source of bonus damage. However, getting opponents flatfooted can be difficult, which is where the idea to use Avenging Executioner came in—the ability to deal sneak attack damage any time I have someone shaken or worse is great for this build, since it means I can sneak attack SOMEONE pretty much every round.
    • Acrobatic Charge: When you’re dealing with followers, they can get in the way. Also, difficult terrain is one thing that can cripple an ubercharger. The captain, however, uses this class feature to ensure that he’s always able to pounce and activate Dreadful Wrath.
    • Steady Stance: Uncanny Dodge on a boat, more or less. I made sure to put ranks in Balance and Climb for the captain. To be honest, the usefulness of this class depends on the availability of ladders, ropes, etc in your campaign. See my lo-op notes for the possibility of swapping out Spiritual Lion Totem for Ape Totem. That would give you a climb speed, making this more relevant in that situation.
    • Scourge of the Seas: Ah, the bread and butter of intimidation. If you just can’t wait for this, you can drop 2 skill ranks earlier on for Never Outnumbered, but I don’t think that’s worth it. This, however, not only makes your Intimidation (which you can do as a move action thanks to Avenging Executioner or a free action thanks to Bloodsoaked Intimidate) affect all foes within 30 feet, but it lasts for CHA modifier rounds! You can make your foes cower for one round, then panic for multiple rounds thereafter, buying your party time to get defensive positions, buff, or simply mop the fools up.
    • Skill Mastery: Charging through difficult terrain is great, but nothing is more embarrassing than a flubbed roll. Taking 10 means that you can make most horizontal jump checks you’ll be trying, as well as balancing or climbing with ease. Also, tumbling while charging becomes a lot easier with this, since we don’t want our foes to get off an AoO before we scare the living daylights out of them.
    • Motivate the Scum: As mentioned above, the captain takes delight in killing his own crew to frighten his foes (Bloody Murder). Now, it also provides a slight boost to himself and his crew. While +4 damage might not seem like much, +4 damage on 8 attacks can add up to ensure that you drop a foe, triggering the ability to use a Bloodsoaked Intimidate and Bloody Murder all over again.
    • Pirate King: If dropping foes is just too classy and nice for you, you can opt instead to kill off your followers! Since they’re going to be mostly low-level, killing them should be fairly quick. Surround yourself with followers, then kill them all with a full attack for up to 8 chances to render your foes frightened. Also, you can kill off a follower as soon as your foes get in range to scare them back and give your side a little pre-battle boost. The possibilities are endless! Of course, your Leadership score is lowered by killing followers, but we here at Iron Chef have never been big on Leadership anyway. Hamsters eat their young [I think], so why can’t the Captain?

Suggested Magic Items
    Spoiler
    Show
    The beauty of the Captain is that he doesn't need items to work. He doesn't need any items to boost his damage, he doesn't need Fearsome armor to demoralize quickly...all he really needs is a bag of mundane daggers. However, he could get some great bonuses from a Cloak of CHA, Gloves of DEX, a Circlet of Persuasion (or better yet, Admiral's Bicorne), skill-boosting items, a boat (if you want to pay for one, haha), etc. The usual items (Belt of Battle, etc) help him break the action economy even more, but he works as is. One thing that definitely helps against creatures immune to both fear AND sneak attack damage (constructs, oozes, plants, and undead) are wands of the spells that allow you to sneak attack those...Vine Strike, Grave Strike, etc. With his 15 ranks in UMD and a base CHA of +5, the Captain can auto-succeed his rolls to activate those. Also, you'll need a way to fly, as always.

Notes
    Spoiler
    Show
    • ToB: ToB adds a new way to Intimidate! A duel of wills at the beginning of an encounter gives you a minor bonus, but bonuses are still bonuses. Check it out, and ask your DM!
    • Flaws: if flaws are allowed, we could have Snatch Trophy and Bloodsoaked Intimidate much earlier, allowing us some liberty with feats. Possibilities then become Martial Stance, Study, and Shadow Blade for even more damage! Also, you could snag a template like Necropolitan for the undead type and wrangle in Duanting Presence, Death Master, Improved Critical, and Eviscerator. Go to town with two kukris for more scariness! However, this gets rid of Improved and Greater TWF, so I didn't pursue it...too many feats. However, Staggering Strike is always a good addition, preventing foes from fleeing via spells, powers, or SLAs, ensuring that they run instead (and provoke AoOs).
    • Low-op: Consider dropping Spiritual Lion totem for Ape Totem. This way, you won't be pouncing your DM's beloved baddies to pieces, but you'll have a climb speed (good for Steady Stance/Skill Mastery) and a +2 bonus to Intimidate. I don't think it's worth it, but it could be a good self-nerf to still keep the flavor in a poorly optimized game.
    • Undead-Heavy: As much as it pains me, you could drop the three levels of human paragon for some levels of cleric. Pact domain still grants Appraise as a class skill, which was the trickiest part of putting together this build. Some low-level spells are good, but can't be used while raging (and I would think, whirling). If you go this way, maybe trade Whirling Frenzy for favored enemy (UA) so as to grab another minor bonus to Intimidate (possible via Avenging Executioner). This way, you can turn at least some undead mooks that come your way. Again, this might delve into the realm of low-op, since your turning checks would be pitiable.
    • Fear Immunity/Dreadful Wrath 24-hour immunity clause: I know some things are immune to fear. Also, if someone saves against Dreadful Wrath, they're immune to it for 24 hours. Luckily, you've got plenty of other ways to scare them, but fear immunity is the big whammy for this build. Some things immune to fear aren't also immune to sneak attacks, though (hehe, paladins). Things that are can be dealt with via UMD (see above), or simply hacking away at them with regular pouncing attacks. Though it seems counter-intuitive, most of your other foes will be fleeing in panic for some time, allowing you to focus fire on those immune to fear.
    • Knowledge geography?!: I was tempted to make UMD my Adaptive Learning skill, but only needed 15 ranks to activate wands. Geography, however, is vital to any mariner. Without it, one storm can get you forever lost at sea.
    • Multiclassing penalties: if these are in effect, you can stagger your levels of Human Paragon and Barbarian to avoid the penalties.

Sources:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • UA (Human Paragon, Whirling Frenzy)
    • PHB (Barbarian, Weapon Finesse, Quick Draw, TWF feat tree)
    • Complete Adventurer (Dread Pirate)
    • Complete Champion (Spiritual Totem Barbarian variant)
    • Complete Scoundrel (Avenging Executioner)
    • Champions of Ruin (Snatch Trophy, Bloodsoaked Intimidate, Craven)
    • Drow of the Underdark (Imperious Command)
    • Player's Guide to Faerun (Dreadful Wrath)

15. - Top - End - #105
    Banned

I thought he was a Master Thrower!

Quote Originally Posted by Van der Decken
    CN Necropolitan Human Dread Necromancer 6/Dread Pirate 10/Dread Witch 4
    STR 10 DEX 14 CON 14 INT 14 WIS 10 CHA 16
    Boost CHA at level-ups

HENDRIK VAN DER DECKEN
    Spoiler
    Show
    {table=head]Level|Class|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Skills|Feats|Class Features

1st|Dread Necromancer 1 (HoH 85)|
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Appraise 4, Concentration 2, Knowledge (Arcana) 4, Profession (Sailor) 4, Swim 2, Use Rope 1|Apprentice: Craftsman (DMG2 176-7), Tomb-Tainted Soul (LM 31), Martial Weapon Proficiency: Cutlass (Stw 107)|Charnel Touch, Rebuke Undead, One Martial Weapon Proficiency, Spells

2nd|Dread Necromancer 2|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +3
    |Appraise 5, Concentration 3, Profession (Sailor) 5, Swim 2.5, Use Rope 1.5|-|Lich Body: DR 2/Bludgeoning and Magic

3rd|Dread Necromancer 3|
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Appraise 6, Concentration 4, Swim 3, Use Rope 2.5|Weapon Finesse|Negative Energy Burst 1/day

4th|Dread Necromancer 4|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +4
    |Appraise 7, Concentration 5, Profession (Sailor) 6, Swim 3.5, Use Rope 3 |-|Advanced Learning, Mental Bastion +2

5th|Dread Necromancer 5|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +4
    |Appraise 8, Concentration 7, Profession (Sailor) 7, Swim 4 |-|Fear Aura

6th|Dread Necromancer 6|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +5
    |Concentration 9, Profession (Sailor) 8, Use Rope 4|Quick Draw|Scabrous Touch 1/day

7th|Dread Witch 1 (HoH 98)|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +7
    |Concentration 10, Intimidate 1, Knowledge (Arcana) 5, Knowledge (The Planes) 2|Unnatural Will (HoH 125)|Master of Terror, Bonus Feat (Unnatural Will)

8th|Dread Witch 2|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +8
    |Concentration 11, Intimidate 2, Knowledge (Arcana) 6, Knowledge (The Planes) 4|-|Absorb Fear

9th|Dread Pirate 1 (CAd 39)|
    +5
    |
    +4
    |
    +6
    |
    +8
    |Concentration 12, Intimidate 8, Use Rope 5|Daunting Presence (LM 25), Two-Weapon Fighting|Seamanship, Bonus Feat (Two-Weapon Fighting)

10th|Dread Pirate 2|
    +6
    |
    +4
    |
    +7
    |
    +8
    |Balance 2, Climb 1, Concentration 13, Intimidate 10, Listen 1, Spot 1|-|Fearsome Reputation: Dishonorable

11th|Dread Pirate 3|
    +7
    |
    +5
    |
    +7
    |
    +9
    |Balance 4, Climb 2, Concentration 14, Intimidate 12, Listen 2, Spot 2|-|Sneak Attack +1d6

12th|Dread Pirate 4|
    +8
    |
    +5
    |
    +8
    |
    +9
    |Balance 5, Climb 4, Concentration 15, Intimidate 14, Listen 3, Spot 3|Frightful Presence (Dra 106)|Acrobatic Charge, Steady Stance

13th|Dread Pirate 5|
    +9
    |
    +5
    |
    +8
    |
    +9
    |Climb 5, Concentration 16, Gather Information 2, Intimidate 16, Listen 4, Spot 4|-|Scourge of the Seas

14th|Dread Pirate 6|
    +10
    |
    +6
    |
    +9
    |
    +10
    |Concentration 17, Gather Information 4, Intimidate 17, Listen 5, Sense Motive 1, Sleight of Hand 1, Spot 5|-|Fearsome Reputation +4

15th|Dread Pirate 7|
    +11
    |
    +6
    |
    +9
    |
    +10
    |Concentration 18. Gather Information 6, Intimidate 18, Listen 6, Sense Motive 2, Sleight of Hand 2, Spot 6|Empower Turning (LM 26)|Sneak Attack +2d6

16th|Dread Pirate 8|
    +12
    |
    +6
    |
    +10
    |
    +10
    |Concentration 19, Gather Information 8, Intimidate 19, Listen 7, Sense Motive 3, Sleight of Hand 3, Spot 7|-|Skill Mastery

17th|Dread Pirate 9|
    +13
    |
    +7
    |
    +10
    |
    +11
    |Concentration 20, Gather Information 10, Intimidate 20, Listen 8, Sense Motive 4, Sleight of Hand 4, Spot 8|-|Motivate the Scum

18th|Dread Pirate 10|
    +14
    |
    +7
    |
    +11
    |
    +11
    |Concentration 21, Gather Information 12, Intimidate 21, Listen 9, Sense Motive 5, Sleight of Hand 5, Spot 9|Quicken Turning (LM 29)|Fearsome Reputation +6, Pirate King

19th|Dread Witch 3|
    +14
    |
    +8
    |
    +12
    |
    +11
    |Concentration 22, Intimidate 22, Knowledge (The Planes) 5; Skill Trick: Hidden Blade (CSc 87)|-|Fearful Empowerment 1/day

20th|Dread Witch 4|
    +15
    |
    +8
    |
    +12
    |
    +12
    |Appraise 9, Concentration 23, Intimidate 23, Knowledge (Arcana) 7|-|Delay Fear, Greater Master of Terror[/table]

SPELL TABLE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    {table=head]Level|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th

1st|4|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

2nd|5|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

3rd|6|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

4th|7|4|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

5th|7|5|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

6th|7|6|4|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

7th|7|6|4|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

8th|7|7|5|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

9th|7|7|5|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

10th|7|7|5|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

11th|7|7|5|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

12th|7|7|5|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

13th|7|7|5|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

14th|7|7|5|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

15th|7|7|5|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

16th|7|7|5|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

17th|7|7|5|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

18th|7|7|5|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

19th|7|7|6|4|-|-|-|-|-|-

20th|7|7|7|5|-|-|-|-|-|-[/table]

ADVANCED LEARNING SPELL:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wracking Touch (CAd 158)

The Tale of Captain van der Decken:

Leaving Port (1st level)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Journal of Hendrik van der Decken. Entry for the Vernal Equinox.
    It has been a difficult month for Master Koenig and myself, as we were both impressed into service aboard this privateer’s ship some nineteen days ago. Koenig is a noted cabinet and coffin maker as well as a skilled necromancer, so my apprenticeship to him made perfect sense, until we were asked to make repairs on the Dark Dagger. The first mate, a half-orc called Mister Swee, insisted she was taking on water after a storm and needed the attention of a skilled woodcrafter. The moment Koenig and I were aboard, however, they weighed anchor and congratulated us on joining the crew of the Dark Dagger, with the choice to join the shark food instead, if we’d prefer. Naturally, we became newly minted sailors. While the particular magics we specialize in are not helpful when the ship is becalmed, Mister Swee and Captain Pinchard seem pleased both with our abilities to make repairs, and to create fear and chaos as they beat to quarters and board other, captured, vessels.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tomb-Tainted Soul is practically required for Dread Necromancer, while the Apprentice: Craftsman feat is one of the few ways outside multiclassing to open up the Appraise skill that Dread Pirate needs. Charnel Touch provides a decent amount of damage and healing for its level, given a character that’s spec’d as a controller rather than a front line fighter. With Bane and Summon Undead 1, Hendrik tilts the tide of battle toward his side significantly, while he can provide damaging spells if he wishes, given the Dread Necromancer’s casting mechanic and spell list. The ability to rebuke undead is both useful for a party’s early-level survival, and important for his intended path of class and PrC. Cutlass isn’t technically required - and admittedly adds a bit of book-bloat - but it’s a perfect thematic fit for a nautical character, and a weapon that can be used with the Weapon Finesse that will be picked up at 3rd level.

Tacking (5th level)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Journal of Hendrik van der Decken. Entry for the Summer Solstice.
    We have been busy lately, refitting the Dark Dagger to operate with a smaller crew. Captain Pinchard died during a raid on a port town nigh on four weeks ago now, as did Swee. Fortunately, Koenig was able to bring them back to serviceable animation, with the added boon that they’re quieter and less recalcitrant now. The crew was initially a bit reluctant, and tried to mount a fight; they quickly realized attacks against me were less painful than were my replies, not to mention the bursts of dark energy that would hurt them and heal me and Koenig’s called creations. Additionally, the disquietude I have learned to exude made them a bit less than enthusiastic once the battle was joined against the supposed mutiny. They ultimately voiced no objection to Koenig becoming Captain, or to my promotion to First Mate. So, now we’ve put in for a new, skeleton, crew. Koenig has said I’m close to a major step in my learning process. I hope that bodes well.
    Spoiler
    Show
    With the Dread Necromancer’s DR and Negative Energy Burst, Hendrik becomes a better melee combatant. Weapon Finesse applies to his touch spells, to Charnel Touch, and to his Cutlass to make up ground lost to choosing other than a full-BAB chassis. Negative Energy Burst keeps him - and any Undead in his presence - upright longer, while reducing the enemies’ HP totals at the same time. The Fear Aura augments the controller role he’s destined for. Wracking Touch is not often mentioned as a choice for Advanced Learning, but the fact that it keys off a touch attack and explicitly allows for Sneak Attack damage regardless of flanking or loss of DEX bonus makes it a solid choice for a Dishonorable Dread Pirate in training. Mental Bastion augments otherwise unremarkable saves against many of the popular SoD variety spells. Note that Hendrik spends an inordinate amount of time as a 5th level Dread Necromancer, as he undergoes the Ritual of Crucimigration to become a Necropolitan (LM 115) after gaining just over 1100 XP beyond the 6th level base, and the Ritual of Crucimigration costs him that level + 1000 worth of XP.

Yawing (10th level)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Journal of Hendrik van der Decken. Entry for the Autumnal Equinox.
    Having repaid in full the “kindness” Koenig visited upon me by making me endure crucimigration, the Dark Dagger is now mine. It seems even a necromancer of his purported skills is not immune to terror, and I have become quite skilled at terror during my time aboard ship. My crew and I now prowl up and down the coast, living the good life - or is that the good unlife? - plundering any ships who cross within sight of our crow’s nest. Any who try to engage me in a one-on-one fight soon find reason to regret it, as I can either overawe them, or, in the increasingly rare cases where I find myself worried for my continued existence, I can bring another ghoulish minion to bear upon them to make it a decidedly unfair fight.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hendrik exits Dread Necromancer after acquiring the Fear Aura (that will augment a Dread Pirate’s Intimidation techniques very well), and obtaining Scabrous Touch’s ability to inflict a contagion, along with 3rd level spells. Quick Draw is not a terribly strong feat, but coupled with the free TWF that a 1st level Dread Pirate gets, it means Hendrik is dangerous with both Cutlass and Charnel Touch at virtually all times in melee range. Meanwhile, Dread Witch and Dread Pirate pile on Intimidation bonuses, Dread Witch gives Unnatural Will as a bonus feat to strengthen an already strong save with his strongest attribute, and the ability either to ignore a lost caster level when shaken or to cast Summon Undead I when frightened. Because Hendrik finds it simplest to crew his ship with rebuked undead minions, the Seamanship bonus he can impart to the crew is very useful in keeping the ship afloat. Daunting Presence on top of his impressive Intimidate bonuses starts to pile on the debuffing effects and keep enemies shaken, or worse. The spell list of the Dread Necromancer further augments this, obviously.

Full Sail Ahead(15th level)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Journal of Hendrik van der Decken. Entry for the Winter Solstice.
    My undead crew grows larger by the battle, and I find myself with less and less reason to leave the familiar comforts of the Dark Dagger. I move about the ship more easily than when on dry land, truth to tell, and there is always something to do, from keeping the crew cowed, to attacking another ship, to defending ourselves against any still foolish or ignorant enough to attack us. It’s increasingly rare that any willingly step aboard my decks uninvited, and even those that do are rightly filled with trepidation. Most don’t last more than a few seconds before falling to their knees, blubbering and asking for mercy. When the mood strikes me, that mercy is granted; other times, they become crew members, which I believe is its own mercy.
    Spoiler
    Show
    With Acrobatic Charge and 2d6 Sneak Attack, Hendrik is a perfectly capable combatant in melee, even if it isn’t his strongest suit. Frightful Presence only works on a charge, though, which means the use of Acrobatic Charge is the most efficient way for him to transform an unafraid foe into a panicked one in a single movement; this works because of his prodigious Intimidate bonuses from his classes and skills, and because he’s stacked Daunting Presence, Frightful Presence, and Scourge of the Seas. Steady Stance keeps Hendrik from worrying about his Flat-Footed AC aboard the Dark Dagger and lets him find strategic advantage where he can for his fear-inducing. As mentioned under Tacking, Wracking Touch pairs up uncommonly well with the dishonorable Dread Pirate’s 2d6 Sneak Attack, and can even be combined with Charnel Touch or Scabrous Touch, with a little planning in how Hendrik’s actions are spent.

All Hands On Deck (18th level, sweet spot)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Journal of Hendrik van der Decken. Entry for the Feast of the New Year.
    I have laid claim to a small island, where the bounty ransacked from the ships we plunder can be safely stored, away from the tariff-mongers and government scalawags. My crew of zombies, ghouls, and skeletons is both large and loyal to me, and few even dare to challenge my supremacy on the seas these days. When they do, I merely crush the skull of one of my skeletal shipmates to incite frenzy in the crew and, subsequently, terror in the idiot who dared defy the Dark Dagger. Even in my unlife, I’m more nimble than ever, and can rarely be caught out unawares by those few skilled at doing so. I do not think it an idle boast to call myself king of the seas.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Skill Mastery keeps Hendrik’s movement skills from failing him, while his continued emphasis of the ‘social’ skills plays to his strong CHA score and the synergies of his massive class-based Intimidate bonuses. Motivate the Scum allows him to destroy a single undead in his crew in order to give the remaining crew a substantial +4 bonus in fighting the enemy, one of whom will be instantly converted, via Quicken Turning and a simple, relatively cheap scroll, to serve under Captain van der Decken. This ‘sweet spot’ does come relatively late in the build, because a Dread Necromancer’s BAB does not allow entry into Dread Pirate especially early and because every single level of Dread Pirate provides a significant boost to the build’s power level. Each Fearsome Reputation bonus couples with the Dread Witch’s bonus to Intimidate, and two more of those levels are forthcoming to finish out the build. The benefits of Pirate King’s granted Followers are obvious. In the 19th and 20th levels of the build, Hendrik’s ability to inspire fear gets even larger boosts via Fearful Empowerment and Greater Master of Terror, while Delay Fear allows him to create chaos for his amusement by unleashing panicked folks upon an unsuspecting populance. The skill trick Hidden Blade gives him another way to utilize the 2d6 Sneak Attack Dread Pirate grants in a pinch.

Baubles and Gewgaws (Optional extras)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Access to Flaws would allow for Shaky and Vulnerable, in exchange for moving Daunting Presence to 1st level and finding room for Extra Turning. This would allow for the Imperious Command feat as yet another Intimidation stacking effect at 9th level. Fearsome armor and as many Nightsticks as Hendrik can buy without the DM beating his player over the head with a DMG would be obviously useful gear choices; similarly, increasing the damage potential on the cutlass through magical means is definitely recommended if Hendrik is to make full use of his combat skills. He ends up with a respectable +15 BAB, so he’s not just a ‘hide in the back’ variety DN, particularly with the way he utilizes Acrobatic Charge, so this is a real option for him.

SOURCE LIST
    Spoiler
    Show
    SRD
    DMG2: Apprentice (Craftsman) feat
    Heroes of Horror: Dread Necromancer, Dread Witch, Unnatural Will
    Libris Mortis: Necropolitan Template, Daunting Presence, Empower Turning, Quicken Turning
    Draconomicon: Frightful Presence
    Complete Adventurer: Dread Pirate, Wracking Touch
    Complete Scoundrel: Hidden Blade skill trick
    Stormwrack: Cutlass

16. - Top - End - #106
    Banned

Do what you want coz a pirate is free!
    You are a pirate!
    Arr!

Quote Originally Posted by Darrigan The Gray Death[b
    Gods help us, it's a story[/b]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Darrigan was not always known as “The Gray Death,” oh no – at one point he was simply Darrigan, or perhaps “Slave #15.” Whatever his name or designation, the most we know of his past is that he was a slave on an Orc raiding vessel as one of the many races captured to work the oars. Not because the ship didn't have sails, but because Orcs just like to make their prisoners row out of spite. Luckily for Darrigan, but perhaps not so much for his rescuers, this situation was not long lasting. A group of Elves had been pursuing the Orcs for days after a raid resulted in the death and capture of one too many promising young Elves and the raid that captured Darrigan gave them just enough time to catch up. Needless to say, the Orcs were handily defeated and the slaves freed.

A number of the former slaves, Darrigan among them, asked to join the Elven crew and help around the ship until they could be returned to port as thanks for their freedom. The Elves assented and that was their downfall for who could have expected what happened next? Darrigan, being glib of tongue, convinced a few fellow former captives, being a bit less trustworthy than they appeared, to aid in the capture of this fine Elven sailing vessel – a Wingship, in fact. Few Elves were caught sleeping as one might expect but the coup was totally unexpected and before a proper alarm was raised Darrigan and his motley followers had gained control of the ship. Those who were not already with Darrigan were killed but a single Elf who was put on a longboat and left to tell the tale.

The rest, you might say, is history. The next anyone saw of him was years later. A galley reported what appeared to be an Elven Wingship – barely identifiable beneath the frightening alterations (and Elven Wingships were not known for conveying warm, fuzzy feelings) – flying a flag consisting of a skull shedding a single, crimson tear. Like in the original ship takeover, only a single person was left alive. He reported a crew of men like fiends rushing the ship and fighting with no concern for their own lives while a man in gray, now known to be Darrigan, laughed from the deck of his own ship like a mad man and commanded the assault in such a way that struck fear into the hearts of all that heard. He finally boarded the galley himself and slew the captain before the entire boarding party looted the ship, and bodies, of all valuables and returned to the wingship.

The Gray Death strikes rarely but mercilessly. A series of empty ships with a lone, living sailor on them have been found over the years and now it is a strong-willed captain indeed that does not quake when confronted with an oncoming ship flying the crimson-teared skull. No one can speak of what Darrigan does when not having sailors slaughtered and raiding ships for he answers no questions and the only member of his own crew ever seen on his own was found floating in a harbor with a note in a bottle reading “'The Gray Death' tolerates no traitorous dogs.” While a plentiful bounty sits on his head, it is recommended that common sailors not try to track him down lest they want their own deaths.

Build
    Spoiler
    Show

Original Scores
    {table=head]Ability|Score

Strength|10
    Dexterity|16
    Constitution|14
    Intelligence|14
    Wisdom|8
    Charisma|15
    [/table]

Alignment: CE

Darrigan "The Gray Death"
    {table=head]Level|Class|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Skills|Feats|Class Features

1st|Bard 1|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Bluff 4, Tumble 4, Profession Sailor (4), Swim 3, Knowledge (geography) 4, Intimidate 2, Perform (oratory) 4, Climb 2, Use Rope 2, Balance 3, Appraise 4|Able Learner, Jack of All Trades|Bardic Music, Bardic Knack, Countersong, Fascinate, Inspire Courage +1

2nd|Bard 2|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Bluff 5, Tumble 5, Profession (Sailor) 5, Swim 4, Perform (oratory) 5, Climb 3, Appraise 5, Speak Language (Elven), Balance 4|-|-

3rd|Bard 3|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Bluff 6, Tumble 6, Profession (Sailor) 6, Intimidate 3, Climb 4, Use Rope 3, Perform (oratory) 6, Appraise 6, Balance 5|Quick Draw|Inspire Competence

4th|Swashbuckler 1|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Bluff 7, Tumble 7, Profession (Sailor) 7, Use Rope 4, Jump 3|Weapon Finesse|-

5th|Swashbuckler 2|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Bluff 8, Tumble 8, Profession (Sailor) 8, Intimidate 4, Climb 5, Use Rope 5, Appraise 7|-|Grace +1

6th|Swashbuckler 3|
    +5
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Bluff 9, Tumble 9, Swim 6, Climb 6, Appraise 8, Balance 6|Combat Expertise|Insightful Strike

7th|Dread Pirate 1|
    +6
    |
    +4
    |
    +6
    |
    +4
    |Bluff 10, Tumble 10, Intimidate 6, Survival 3, Skill Trick (Whip Climber)|Two-Weapon Fighting|Seamanship

8th|Dread Pirate 2|
    +7
    |
    +4
    |
    +7
    |
    +4
    |Bluff 11, Tumble 11, Intimidate 8, Use Rope 6, Balance 8, Jump 4, Survival 4|-|Fearsome Reputation +2

9th|Dread Pirate 3|
    +8
    |
    +5
    |
    +7
    |
    +5
    |Bluff 12, Tumble 12, Swim 7, Intimidate 10, Climb 7, Use Rope 7, Balance 9, Jump 5|Persuasive|Sneak Attack +1d6

10th|Dread Pirate 4|
    +9
    |
    +5
    |
    +8
    |
    +5
    |Bluff 13, Tumble 13, Swim 8, Intimidate 12, Climb 8, Use Rope 8, Jump 6, Survival 5|-|Acrobatic Charge, Steady Stance

11th|Dread Pirate 5|
    +10
    |
    +5
    |
    +8
    |
    +5
    |Bluff 14, Tumble 14, Swim 9, Intimidate 14, Climb 9, Use Rope 9, Jump 7, Survival 6|-|Scourge of the Seas

12th|Scarlet Corsair 1|
    +11
    |
    +5
    |
    +10
    |
    +5
    |Bluff 15, Tumble 15, Intimidate 15, Use Rope 10, Balance 10, Jump 8, Survival 7|Improved Feint, Imperious Command|-

13th|Scarlet Corsair 2|
    +12
    |
    +5
    |
    +11
    |
    +5
    |Bluff 16, Tumble 16, Knowledge (geography) 6, Intimidate 16, Jump 9, Survival 8|-|Sneak Attack +2d6

14th|Scarlet Corsair 3|
    +13
    |
    +6
    |
    +11
    |
    +6
    |Bluff 17, Tumble 17, Swim 10, Intimidate 17, Use Rope 11, Balance 11, Jump 10|-|Corsair's Feint (1/[2d4] rounds)

15th|Dread Pirate 6|
    +14
    |
    +7
    |
    +12
    |
    +7
    |Bluff 18, Tumble 18, Intimidate 18, Climb 11, Use Rope 12, Balance 12, Jump 12|Scourge of the Seas|Fearsome Reputation +4

16th|Dread Pirate 7|
    +15
    |
    +7
    |
    +12
    |
    +7
    |Bluff 19, Tumble 19, Swim 11, Knowledge (geography) 8, Intimidate 19, Climb 12, Balance 13, Jump 13|-|Sneak Attack +3d6

17th|Dread Pirate 8|
    +16
    |
    +7
    |
    +13
    |
    +7
    |Bluff 20, Tumble 20, Swim 12, Intimidate 20, Use Rope 13, Balance 14, Jump 14, Survival 10|-|Skill Mastery

18th|Scarlet Corsair 4|
    +17
    |
    +7
    |
    +14
    |
    +7
    |Bluff 21, Tumble 21, Swim 13, Intimidate 21, Perform (oratory) 8, Climb 13|Force of Personality|Sailor's Step +2

19th|Scarlet Corsair 5|
    +18
    |
    +7
    |
    +14
    |
    +7
    |Bluff 22, Tumble 22, Swim 14, Intimidate 22, Perform (oratory) 10, Balance 15|-|(Scourge of the Seas)

20th|Scarlet Corsair 6|
    +19
    |
    +8
    |
    +15
    |
    +8
    |Bluff 23, Tumble 23, Intimidate 23, Climb 15, Use Rope 15|-|Sneak Attack +4d6
    [/table]

Spells per day/Spells Known
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells/day
    {table=head]Level|0th|1st

1st|2|-

2nd|3|1

3rd|3|2
    [/table]

{table=head]Level|0th|1st|Bard Spells Known

1st|4|-|0th (Songbird, Prestidigitation, Detect Magic, Know Direction)

2nd|5|2|0th (Read Magic), 1st (Grease, Phantom Threat)

3rd|6|3|0th (Light), 1st (Inspirational Boost)
    [/table]

Notes
    Spoiler
    Show

At level 5, the class is a secondary combatant and primary uses Bardic abilities for support. This extends to all levels as Dread Pirate abilities add to Bardic abilities for party support.

At level 12, once Scourge of the Seas and Imperious Command are gained, the class uses the Scourge of the Seas ability as much as possible to hit all foes within 30' with Intimidate (which should be at least at +20 with a single increase to Charisma at level 4 and the Persuasive feat) in order to try force all foes into the cowering then shaken conditions. If necessary, he can also fight single, less powerful foes one to one on top of a Grease using Steady Stance.

By 15, he can take advantage of Corsair's Feint and Improved Feint (with his large Bluff check) in addition to his other abilities to make use of his, admittedly low, Sneak Attack.

While items are obviously not included as part of this, the idea is to increase Dex and make use of it and TWF with a Rapier and Whip, preferably a Stingray Whip from Stormwrack, though not always at the same time. The whip is best used for Combat Expertise and aid another while the rapier is used for primary combat. Whip Climber is to be used whenever cinematic and entertaining to do so.

Non-core Sources
    Spoiler
    Show

{table=head]Book|Items

Spell Compendium|Song Bird, Phantom Threat, Inspirational Boost
    Drow of the Underdark|Imperious Command
    Stormwrack|Scourge of the Seas [feat], Scarlet Corsair
    Player's Handbook II|Bardic Knack alternate class feature
    Complete Adventurer|Jack of All Trades, Dread Pirate, Force of Personality
    Races of Destiny|Able Learner
    Complete Scoundrel|Whip Climber
    Complete Warrior|Swashbuckler
    [/table]

17. - Top - End - #107
    Banned

Take my love, take my land
    Take me where I cannot stand
    I don't care, I'm still free
    You can't take the sky from me

Quote Originally Posted by Halavin
    The Life and Times of the Pirate Lords of Lhazaar
    Halavin d'Lyrandar: defender of the skies
    By Kyle Norrin
    Korranberg Chronicle, Sypheros 998 YK

Welcome to the fourth article about the famed Pirate Lords of the Lhazaar Principalities! A series of islands rife with mystery, where the law is placed on the sea...doesn't that motivate you to take your blade and abandon the dull peace of the cities?

Today, we have a most honorable guest, and one Pirate Lord that truly sets up from the rest. We've heard of excoriates from House Lyrandar; evidently you must have read the articles we had about the princes (and if not, what are you waiting for!? Go get the Barrakas 997 YK issue, before a bard spoils it all!), specifically about Prince Brightwind. Yet, whom would have figured that one of the most feared and respected men in the Principalities IS a member of the House of Storms?

But, let this man speak it from his own words. We, the Korranberg Chronicle, are pleased to hear about the adventures of the Storm Rider, Halavin d'Lyrandar!

So, where should we start first? Ah, how about if he speaks about his early days?

"The seas, they be callin'"
    Spoiler
    Show
    HALAVIN D'LYRANDAR: Well...where I can start? Speaking about my youth might bore you; it wasn't as exciting as you think. I fame myself as being a good storyteller, actually, but that moment...

KORRANBERG CHRONICLE: Fancy? Mind explaining?

Hd'L:Yes, yes! You see, it was during that time of my youth, where I had no idea what to do. At that moment, I was unsure what to do; all I knew was that one day I would tend to the family's businesses, and that I would be bound to the ships and the galleons. Never imagined it'd be an adventurer's life, of course.

But, since my family wanted me to develop my talents, they decided to place me on a conservatory of music, right at...where it was, actually... I recall it was an Aundarian conservatory, but the name eludes my mind. There, I was taught the fine arts of performance, but I was daft to all things instruments; broke a few fine mandolins, no wind on the flutes, and a terrible pitch for singing. Oddly enough, I enjoyed being on debates, so I find myself attracted to oratory. Speaking was, and still is, one of my finest talents; there I found myself acquaintanced with stories...just don't ask me to remember some of the better ones! I recite well, but horrible at details...

KC: I see, I see... Then, what happened? I fancy you a swordmaster, not a spellslinger or a storyteller...

Hd'L: Indeed, indeed...you see, the only other passion I held was swordsmanship. The blood of the warrior was strong in me; it doesn't help that the War ended but a few years ago, so duels and dueling schools were the order of the day. I still remember it; the day duels were forbidden in Aundair, I had just faced an offensive man, and I was hastily banished from the land. Never got to finish my studies, but the man that saw my talent said I could develop it to its maximum expression. I couldn't understand it that day, but afterwards, I understood very clearly.

KC: Then what? We've all heard of your famous assaults against Lhazaarite seamen, which are as savage as the beasts that inhabit them...

Hd'L: Well, to beat a savage...well, you either confound him, outsmart him or crush him with your heel. Perhaps not the most elegant, but the first two are often considered cheats, with the third almost universally recognized.

My old master was a former tribal chief turned deserter general of the Brelish forces after the Eldeen Reaches separated...

KC: But wasn't that...?

Hd'L: Fifty, sixty years ago? It was a long time, but you probably have seen people that live hundreds of years; that's not unusual. Besides, it was a long time ago, so you shouldn't be scared.

KC: T-true. Proceed.

Hd'L: Now, his fighting style was quite amazing! He evoked the ferocity of the beasts within him, bathing in the blood of his opponents until satiated, but he learned his leadership skills in one of the finest schools in all Khorvaire.

KC: Rekkenmark?

Hd'L: ...Second best, then...

KC: Then you mean--?

Hd'L: Let's just say he was well trained in the school of "experience" and cut the chat a bit, shall we? In any case, I learned very well the art of leading troops for victory, namely in opening opportunities against my enemies and keeping concentration whenever...things got rough... But I didn't pay much attention to leadership tactics; I fell in love with the brutal and yet so refined style of swordsmanship that secured victory at all costs, that I absorbed as much as I could from his teachings. I was no longer a duelist, but his teachings were certainly a defining moment for me.

KC: So you claim that you were undecided on your youth. When, then, you decided to embrace the seas as yours?

Hd'L: The skies, you mean. Seas...well, there's an old Lhazaar saying that goes "the seas, they be callin'", whenever the day is clear and you feel that you need to do something other than stay there, counting your money or hearing about the bloodshed for a lost nation...

KC: You mean the day of Mourning, have you?

Hd'L: Nay, I refer to old Galifar. I feel that only humans are interested in those old scores; I only feel worse when I realize just how much my family and my house got into the boom of war. I was intoxicated by that feeling, so I decided that I had to move away. And, as the Lhazaar said, the seas were calling for me.

KC: And that is when you first reached Lhazaar, right?

Hd'L: I actively asked for that when I returned to my father's home...returning, of course, because I wasn't willing to enlist in the forces. He said; "either you get into the War or you get into the business, but I won't support any more of your banalities!" The first few moments holding the reins of a galleon between cities were dull for me, to be precise.

KC: Dull? The war...dull?

Hd'L: Yes, you see...we were going on safe routes, far from the action, and often well protected by military forces. There was little to no action, and whatever happened was swiftly solved by the soldiers, so it was actually quite dull. Not that I enjoyed the slaughter of thousands of people each day, but there was that...I'd say, that worm, which bit into me asking, yearning for something else.

KC: Then you went into the Principalities, right?

Hd'L: Exactly. As you know, House Lyrandar has had a terrible time trying to establish business opportunities on the area, largely because of the internal strife, and particularly because of Prince Brightwind.

KC: The Lyrandar excoriate turned prince, am I correct?

Hd'L: Excoriate? Such a fancy word...there's a bounty for his head, but when you see unnatural storms brewing, I think you may realize why so many people seem to dislike him.

KC: Including you, I presume?

Hd'L: As I was saying...

KC: Very well, very well, I get your point, let's continue... What made you go into Lhazaar; you haven't said why...?

Hd'L: I was going there! House Lyrandar traditionally has had bad relationships with the principalities, so any advance would be fruitful to the interests. I, personally, saw it as an escape from war, as what little stories I had heard from it spoke of untold riches, and legends galore. Who would have imagined that I would have preceded the world's outlook on that!

A Ruler of Sea and Sky
    Spoiler
    Show
    KC: Certainly, you did! The audience is hungry for new adventurers, the next heroes of this era! ...But, enough with introductions. How did you become known as a Pirate Lord? Lyrandar is not known for holding pirates...

Hd'L: You know how so many people speak of pirates and immediately associate them with criminals? That's not entirely the case. There are six or seven kinds of seamen: sailors, marines, pirates, buccaneers, corsairs, privateers, and those who drown (laughs). I prefer the term "privateer", if only because what I do is quite different from what others do. But, as you may know, people don't associate that, and think that pirates, corsairs, buccaneers and privateers are all and the same.

KC: Wait, isn't they the same?

No. You see: pirates plunder and steal; have you heard of me stealing things?

KC: Actually...

Hd'L: I do some...reclaiming, if you wish to call it that way. It's always for a good measure: a cargo stolen from a big city, I reclaim the cargo, say it's a favor from House Lyrandar and that next time they should use our services...I do more service for the House in Lhazaar than what Orien could do in all of Khorvaire... (laughs).

KC: But that reputation... Oh well. Say...how did you got that fancy ship of yours?

Hd'L: Ah, you mean the good ol' Flying Dolphin? Ah, it's a long story, actually. One of the finest Lyrandar airships, made to traverse the sea and the sky with equal ease. Finest soarwood, finest binding arts, finest design...

KC: And the method of acquisition was also the finest?

Hd'L: Yes, yes! The finest method of acquisition: a reward for years of service!

KC: I had heard from a few people that you're borrowing the ship from Lyrandar...

Hd'L: Again, rumors. I thought you would be better than that, Mr. Norrin...

KC: The audience and the readers wish to know.

Hd'L: All for the truth, aye? Well...being a scion has its benefits, but certainly I have a responsibility with the Dolphin. Not because the House would be angry over it, but because it's an old friend of mine. I've learned a bit of the language of the water; it is quite poetic, sounds like sea waves. Have you heard about it?

KC: As I've heard a lot of things.

Hd'L:Very useful, actually. It helps me speak with the ship, actually. A very nice lady, I'd say.

KC: What is the adventure you remember most clearly?

Hd'L: There are many. Quite many. All of them start with storms...you know. Thunderbolts and lightning. Very very frightening me.

KC: Galileo.

Hd'L: Galileo.

KC: Galileo.

Hd'L: Galileo.

KC: Galileo, Figaro, Magnifico! ...Wait, why I am singing the verses of the Aundairian Rhapsody?

Hd'L: It always happens. It's like a dwarf I met; had a dragon and everything. But that would be a bit too far.

So...adventures, adventures... Yes, the ones I hold dear include the maiden voyage of the Flying Dolphin, braving the Tempest Isle and looking for the treasure of Twinhook. Ah, it was amazing, and the amount of treasure I found! Doubloons, old Galifar documents, priceless jewels! And what it took to get that to the ship; the look on the sea-trolls' eyes when they saw the ship get aloft, and my command of the winds sending them outwards...

Then there's the pursuit of an escapee from Dreadhold--

KC: An escapee from Dreadhold? I thought that impossible!

Hd'L: Impossible, of course not; unheard of, now that's the word. One of the princes got ahold of a dangerous magician sent into the spell-warded walls of the hold. It was a spectacular escape, and he put his arcane arts to good use. He whipped the seas into a furious maelstrom, but he never counted that we would lift into the air and strike from above! All that moment, they thought I was going on a very fancy sea ship, then the ship starts to float and go above them... I recalled the House was angry at my actions, but I clearly spoke to them and mentioned that if I left someone that had escaped from a seemingly impregnable fortress, how would they expect to deal with the barons? It caused a bit of problems, but the in-fighting balanced that out; in the end, it was better that the magician was held on Dreadhold instead of having the Last War all over our noses once again.

KC: Impressive! Tell us, what else?

Hd'L: Perhaps I could speak of my exploits against the dreaded cult of Vol, but perhaps some of your readers may feel insulted by that. While I do recommend abandoning such a cult--

KC: I appreciate your interest in our readers, but I think you were delving a bit too far exactly on what you tried to prevent.

Hd'L: True. Most adventures of mine, however, usually start as missions for my House; did you know that the Emerald Claw has a strong presence in the area, but not enough success?

KC: Why, certainly! They are a plague upon the land of Khorvaire...

Hd'L: But the Lhazaar Principalities, despite the leading faith, haven't granted them a strong foothold. You may argue that to competition, but the fact is they are scared of the seafarers in this area, which are as every bit as ferocious as them. Of course, when they think that the easiest way is to assault a Lyrandar galleon or airship, they make their worst mistake.

KC: I reckon because of you, right?

Hd'L: Not really. All Lyrandar ships are safe to travel; it just happens that the Dolphin is my little secret, so the Order is scared of ending on my boat. Given more than a fair warning to them, so you may realize they are a bit intimidated about that.

KC: Wonderful! Still, do you think it's proper...

Hd'L: ...to give such promotion to my House? Well, it's natural, but for all readers; your chances of safety are proportional to my proximity. Modesty aside.

KC: Yes...quite modest, I must say, I've heard that you sometimes let your passengers engage in battle, or so I've heard.

Hd'L: Have I? Oh, certainly; it just happens that such passengers are fellow adventurers looking for something to do in the Principalities, and they make a good helping hand on some of the most difficult trips. I prefer fighting with a large group, but I'm fiercely protective of my crew and passengers; if they are ill suited for battle, I request of them to remain on their rooms, but if they have a strong hand, I am more than happy to receive their aid. Usually they ask for a reduced cost, to which I oblige--

KC: Doesn't that affect your profits?

Hd'L: As you've heard before from my words, I do some rescue operations of my own, which end up a bit more fruitful than mere courier service. The House appreciates my stay on the Principalities, given that I have provided a strong House presence on the area. Serving as a courier, or a cargo transport, is merely part of the services I offer to the House, and in exchange I get more liberty on my actions. Otherwise, I wouldn't be here, am I right?

KC: Why...certainly! I see you have a rare work ethic, never letting your adventuring urges halt your service to the House.

Hd'L: In fact, some of the best adventuring opportunities are found while assisting people in transportation. I fondly remember a series of adventures I had in the Principalities with a fine group of fellows, whom named themselves the Thrillseekers. Sir Lyon, Jehanna, and also to magus Palgo; many thanks for the thrills!

KC: Ah, the magus Palgo! I reckon he does investigation work on Korranberg as of late! Still: we've heard of your adventures, which are indeed many to behold. Now, what are your thoughts on the Principalities?

Hd'L Well--

KC: Specifically on the Princes.

Hd'L: I'm quite fond of Prince Lorrister. He has a noble goal towards the improvement of the Principalities, and has been a great aid when things get rough; I usually repay him the same. Prince Rygar is a man with a vision, but perhaps a vision too skewed; he intends to revive the old Galifar from the Principalities, but one thing is to bind warring nations, and another to bind warring factions. Q'barra has a better chance to revive old Galifar, in my opinion. And I must admit; while Regalport is a wonderful place, my kind of place is Port Verge. Business flourishes in that place, and it's quite safe even though some of the pirates are rather cunning. The safest place is the Lyrandar enclave, obviously.

KC: I see...there are more Princes, however.

Hd'L: And if I had something worthwhile to say about them, I would have said something. Let's...leave it at that. Especially when I have already mentioned something about them.

KC: Oh, right; you did speak of--

Hd'L: Could we please speak of another topic?

How a Lyrandar seaman does his job
    KC: I am sure most readers will be eager to know; how do you do all those flourishing moves you are capable of doing? What is your secret?

Hd'L: It may be a little difficult, but perhaps I can provide you with some pointers? For example...

Spoiler
    Show
    Starting ability scores (32 pt. buy): Str 14, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 16
    Ability Score Increases per Character Level: 4th – Strength; 8th – Strength; 12th – Dexterity; 16th – Charisma; 20th – Charisma
    1st|Bard 1|+0|
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Appraise 4 ranks, Balance 4 ranks, Bluff 4 ranks, Jump 4 ranks, Perform 4 ranks, Profession (sailor) 4 ranks, Swim 4 ranks, Tumble 4 ranks|Least Dragonmark of Storm (gust of wind)|Bardic Music (countersong, fascinate, inspire courage), Lore Song

2nd|Bard 2|+1|+0|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Appraise +1, Balance 1 rank, Bluff +1, Jump +1, Perform +1, Profession (sailor) +1, Swim +1, Tumble +1| |

3rd|Bard 3|+2|
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    | Appraise +1, Balance +1, Bluff +1, Jump+1, Perform +1, Profession (sailor) +1, Swim +1, Tumble +1|Quick Draw|Inspire Competence

4th|Warblade 1|+3|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    | Appraise +1 (CC), Balance +1, Jump +1, Swim +1, Tumble +1||Battle Ardor (Reflex saves)

5th|Warblade 2|+4|
    +4
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    | Appraise +1 (CC), Balance +1, Jump +1, Swim +1, Tumble +1 | | Uncanny Dodge

6th|Storm Sentry 1|+5|
    +6
    |
    +5
    |
    +3
    | Balance +1, Jump +1, Swim +1, Tumble +1, Use Rope 2 ranks|Weapon Finesse|Heir’s Mark, Improved Gust, Wind’s Embrace

7th|Storm Sentry 2|+6/+1|
    +7
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    | Balance +1, Jump +1, Swim +1, Tumble +1, Use Rope +2| |Lyrandar’s Shield, Powerful Winds

8th|Dread Pirate 1|+7/+2|
    +7
    |
    +8
    |
    +3
    |Balance +1, Climb 2 ranks, Jump +1, Perform +1, Tumble +1; Twisted Charge (skill trick)|Two-Weapon Fighting|Seamanship

9th|Dread Pirate 2 |+8/+3|
    +7
    |
    +9
    |
    +3
    | Balance +1, Climb +2, Jump +1, Perform +1, Tumble +1; Extreme Leap (skill trick)|Lesser Mark of Storm (Sleet Storm)| Fearsome Reputation +2

10th|Dread Pirate 3|+9/+4[|
    +8
    |
    +9
    |
    +4
    | Balance +1, Climb +2, Jump +1, Perform +1, Tumble +1; Leaping Climber (skill trick)|||Rally the Crew +1 (1/day)

11th|Dread Pirate 4|+10/+5|
    +8
    |
    +10
    |
    +4
    | Balance +1, Bluff +1, Climb +2, Diplomacy 2 ranks, Jump +1, Tumble +1| |Acrobatic Charge, Steady Stance

12th|Dread Pirate 5|+11/+6/+1|
    +8
    |
    +10
    |
    +4
    | Balance +1, Bluff +1, Climb +2, Diplomacy +2, Jump +1, Tumble +1|Song of the White Raven|Luck of the Wind

13th|Dread Pirate 6|+12/+7/+2|
    +9
    |
    +11
    |
    +5
    | Balance +1, Bluff +1, Climb +2, Diplomacy +2, Jump +1, Tumble +1| |Fearsome Reputation +4

14th|Dread Pirate 7|+13/+8/+3|
    +9
    |
    +11
    |
    +5
    | Balance +1, Bluff +1, Climb +2, Diplomacy +2, Jump +1, Tumble +1 |Rally the Crew +2 (2/day)

15th|Warblade 3|+14/+9/+4|
    +9
    |
    +12
    |
    +6
    | Balance +1, Bluff +1, Climb +1, Diplomacy +1, Jump +1, Tumble +1|Improved Two-Weapon Fighting|Battle Ardor (critical confirmation)

16th|Dread Pirate 8|+15/+10/+5|
    +9
    |
    +13
    |
    +6
    | Balance +1, Bluff +1, Climb +2, Diplomacy +2, Jump +1, Tumble +1| |Skill Mastery

17th|Dread Pirate 9|+16/+11/+6/+1|
    +10
    |
    +13
    |
    +7
    |Balance +1, Bluff +1, Climb +2, Diplomacy +2, Jump +1, Tumble +1||Fight to the Death

18th|Warblade 4|+17/+12/+7/+2|
    +7
    |
    +14
    |
    +5
    | Balance +1, Bluff +1, Climb +1, Diplomacy +1, Jump +1, Tumble +1|Combat Expertise|

19th|Dread Pirate 10|+18/+13/+8/+3|
    +7
    |
    +15
    |
    +6
    | Balance +1, Bluff +1, Climb +1, Diplomacy +1, Jump +1, Tumble +1; Social Recovery (skill trick)| |Fearsome Reputation +6, Pirate King

20th|Warblade 5|+19/+14/+9/+4|
    +8
    |
    +15
    |
    +6
    | Balance +1, Bluff +1, Climb +1, Diplomacy +1, Jump +1, Tumble +1|White Raven Defense| [/table]

Hd'L: ...and then I end up with a commanding talent to ensure the defense of people.

KC: Impressive. Mind telling about what a "sentry of the storms" does? It's rare to hear about them.

Hd'L: Storm sentries are some of the most skilled Lyrandar warriors there are. While we pride on safety in travel, certainly you might find occasions where the Mark's powers could be slightly more beneficial. In this situation, creating a shield of wind that repels attacks while you charge, or unleashing your might upon a hapless bystander long enough to drop him out of the ship shows a distinctive skill in using the powers of the Mark of Storms.

KC: Now, what can you speak of your favorite combat techniques?

Hd'L: First, I believe I must speak about what some of these techniques consist of. For example...
    Spoiler
    Show
    {table=head]Character Level|Initiator Level|Maneuvers Known|Maneuvers Readied|Stances Known|Maneuvers or Stances Learned
    1st-3rd|-|-|-|-|
    4th|2nd|3|3|1|Douse the Flames, Leading the Attack, Sudden Leap*; Blood in the Water (stance)
    5th|3rd|+1|-|-
    6th|4th|-|-|-|-
    7th|4th|-|-|-|-
    8th|5th|-|-|-|-
    9th|5th|-|-|-|-
    10th|6th|-|-|-|-
    11th|6th|-|-|-|-
    12th|7th|-|-|-|-
    13th|7th|-|-|-|-
    14th|8th|-|-|-|-
    15th|9th|+1|-|-|Pouncing Charge*
    16th|9th|-|-|-|-
    17th|10th|-|-|-|-
    18th|11th|-|+1|+1|Douse the Flames->Flanking Maneuver*; Tactics of the Wolf (stance)
    19th|11th|-|-|-|-
    20th|12th|+1|-|-|Dancing Mongoose*[/table]
    *: Readied maneuver

Hd'L: ...but my favorite is definitely where I unleash a full barrage of attacks on a single opponent as I move. A two-weapon fighting style certainly helps.

KC: What other things you do aside from fighting well? I reckon you mention you are a wonderful orator, but what else?

Hd'L: Amongst my many talents, I have...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Skills at 20th level
    Appraise +10, Balance +27*, Bluff +20, Climb +24*, Diplomacy +28**, Jump +29, Perform (oratory) +13, Profession (sailor) +17***, Swim +7, Tumble +27, Use Rope +6
    Note: includes skill synergies (Balance +2, Diplomacy +2, Jump +2, Tumble +2)
    *:+10 whenever Steady Stance applies
    **: Includes Fearsome Reputation bonus
    ***: Includes Seamanship bonus
    Skill Tricks: Extreme Leap, Leaping Climber, Social Recovery, Twisting Charge

Hd'L: ...and I can do some mean knots. That should fill all the talents.

KC: I also heard you had a slight hint of magical talent aside from your Dragonmark, no?

Hd'L: Mostly tricks I learned while on the conservatory. Amongst those, I have...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spells per day/Spells Known
    {table=head]Level|0lvl|1st

1st|2/4|-

2nd|3/5|0/2

3rd-20th|3/6|1/3[/table]

Spells Known:
    0—detect magic, minor disguise, prestidigitation, resistance, songbird, summon instrument
    1st—expedious retreat, grease, inspirational boost[/table]

Hd'L: ...and a small chanting I do before I seek to inspire my crew. I find they are mostly parlor tricks, but they have their utility. You see, covering a certain part of the body, or the ship, with grease is a handy tool to have, and I don't know just how many times being slightly more resistant to magic and the environment has saved my life.

KC: Now that you have explained most of your talents...how do you use them? I believe that's the main thing our readers want to know...

Hd'L: And my enemies! But fear not; I have ways to take enemies unaware. For example...
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...my preferred tactic is to start with a simple preparation. Nothing beats being prepared with a simple yet effective speech, but sometimes I have to rally my crew into battle, when things get rough. My speech seeks to inspire courage on them, and on any allies I have around. I see the change when I do so; they fight better, they land more hits and they deal deeper wounds overall.

Afterwards, I gauge the most dangerous enemy, and I leap to their pursuit. Weapons drawn, and sometimes making a sharp turn to land on their destination, I unleash a barrage of attacks with my two weapons, attempting to cause as much damage as I can with my attacks. You can notice I'm quite strong, so I use that and the courage I draw from my own speech to strike them down in one charge. While it may seem a bit cruel, I tend to use a variety of weapons: rapier, longswords, and even those inward-curved knives...what do they call them, kukris? The idea is that I get into the mindset my master once taught me, in order to draw greater strength from deeper wounds, and improving my fighting capabilities alongside that.

However, when there are many able warriors alongside me, I change my tactics a bit. I seek flanking opportunities with them, seeking to lead them into the right areas to cause the maximum impact with our attacks. At times, I combine that advice with a move which hinders their defensive capabilities, allowing all allies fighting alongside me to land an extra strike.

Still: while it's slightly delayed, I always seek to deal the bloodiest wound whenever possible. Whether it is with assistance of my crew or fighting on my own, I seek to take advantage of deeper wounds. At times, I have to place more effort and land a much larger barrage of strikes every now and then. It's a simple, yet effective tactic: the more hits I land on my enemies, the better.

Other tactics I have rely on using the powers of my Mark judiciously. They can be used well for offense or defense, whether I form a shield of wind that protects just as well, if not better than a shield of wood or steel, or use my powers to ram boarders with strong bursts of wind. At times, I can feel my power surge and summon a rainstorm that causes the area where I fight to become slippery; since I can take advantage of moving without much trouble thanks to my acrobatic skills, I use it as a way to strike them while they are prone, where I have a distinctive advantage. However, creating a temporary shield in battle is quite probably my best defense, coupled with an improved tactic to fight defensively. Whenever I fight with a crew, I tend to draw my longsword to improve my defenses and their defenses as well.

Yet, it is when things get truly rough that I make a fearsome rally. I find my crew becomes more enduring whenever I rally them into battle, as well as more effective. The care I grant to my crew has caused them to fight for me even if their wounds are just too much; it is sad when I lose a member of my crew due to terrible wounds, but that only aids to unleash my ferocity upon the enemy in a way they will never forget.

I find, actually, that my talents at acrobatics aid quite a lot. I move upon my ship with great agility; I get so used to it, I can move a good forty feet at times out of a single leap, surprising a faraway enemy who thinks he's safe. At other times, even with a slippery surface, I can charge against an enemy in such a way that I can reach them despite the distance, with a clever turn. I leap, climb and roll my way into my enemies, covering as much distance as possible (and charging, if precise).

Spoiler
    Show
    Translation: Halavin starts with Inspire Courage (preferably boosted with Inspirational Boost) or Rally the Crew, depending on how serious the situation may be. Then, he applies two tactics depending if he's the sole melee or has large melee assistance, such as when his followers fight alongside him.

The first tactic, if alone, is to use Blood in the Water, alongside 18-20 weapons such as rapier and kukris, and then dash with Pouncing Charge while using Two-Weapon Fighting. Generally, he does this in order to catch as many critical hits as possible; being a Warblade, he can recharge his attack with a simple flourish or melee strike, so he can do this every two or three turns. If necessary, he unleashes Dancing Mongoose to land two extra hits with his two weapons.

The other, if surrounded with melee allies or followers, is to combine Tactics of the Wolf with Flanking Maneuver to add half his initiator level to damage and allowing several attacks against a single target; again, being a Warblade allows him to use this maneuver every two or three turns, which means he can drop an enemy reliably.

Movement is rarely a restriction, given his mobility options. Sudden Leap, combined with skill mastery in Jump and his large skill check modifier allows him to leap up to 30 feet in a single move, and sometimes even 40 feet; again, since he is a Warblade, he can recharge this maneuver every two or three turns, which allows him to move quite fast around the battlefield by using jumps. His charge is quite rare, as he can use Balance, Jump or Tumble checks as part of his charge, which can be applied while using Pouncing Charge. The third benefit is using Twisting Charge alongside Acrobatic Charge and Pouncing Charge to enable charging from difficult situations (such as difficult terrain or insufficient distance to charge), although this move can only be used once per encounter and limits him to his total land speed.

Defensively, he applies Combat Expertise alongside consuming one of his Least Dragonmark daily uses to activate the Shield spell (which lasts for about 8 rounds), and at times applying White Raven Defense to add one more point of AC: combined with Medium Armor and his decent Dexterity bonus, Halavin can reach upwards of 30 AC with little effort, meaning he has a great defensive capability. His Will save is stunted by low Will saving throws, but he has some respite from his Resistance cantrip and the Inspire Courage/Rally the Crew bonuses).

KC: I've heard you espouse a belief in not relying much on enchanted weapons and items, aside from your vessel of course. While you claim them as useful tools, you seek to use mundane weapons at times. Do you have any items you'd prefer to use, perhaps treasures you've found or items you've bought...

Hd'L: ...or maybe rewards for a good work, or even a tax whenever I rescue lost cargo...

KC: ...yes, that kind of thing. So, do you have any?

Hd'L: Well... Certainly, I do prefer...
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Keen Weapons: With the lack of Improved Critical, landing critical hits may cause some trouble. This allows rapiers and kukris to reach 15-20, nearly doubling the utility of Blood in the Water
    • Boots of Speed: Haste for 10 rounds works wonders, especially to land an extra hit and to increase the utility of the Pouncing Charge + Acrobatic Charge + Tumbling Charge maneuver. It also nearly doubles his movement, and adds a sizeable bonus to his Sudden Leap with the bonus to Jump checks granted from movement.
    • Bloodfeeding and Collision weapon enhancements: Collision grants a decent increase in damage, while Bloodfeeding adds a burst amount of damage. Both are increased with critical hits, good whenever crit-fishing.
    • Gloves of Dexterity/Cloak of Charisma/Belt of Giant Strength: It requires little explanation. This would increase (at 20th level) Strength up to 22, Dexterity up to 21 and Charisma to a whopping 24.
    • Vest of Legends: +5 to Diplomacy and treat yourself as a Bard 5 levels higher. This allows Inspire Courage to reach a +2 bonus faster than usual, although the benefits stop at around 20th level when you gain the benefit naturally (however, with the effective bard level being 13th, one more level of Bard or Warblade would imply having a +3 bonus in IC.
    • Regalia of the Hero: A great boon to the character, although it tends to work better for marshals instead of bards. Badge of Valor grants a boost to Inspire Courage, which frees uses of spell slots for Inspiration; Helm of Tactics stacks with Tactics of the Wolf and opens flanking options, and Horn of Resilience works in tandem with Fight to the Death to provide even greater resilience.
    • Wands and Scrolls: Albeit only having a caster level of 3, the fact that being a Bard opens up a great deal of useful spells is more than worthwhile. Most 2nd level spells (such as Blur or Mirror Image) have a caster level of 5, which means he may use wands freely or scrolls with a 90% chance of success. Most 3rd level spells (specifically Haste) have a minimum CL of 7, which allows for 80% success when using scrolls.

Hd'L: Still, finding such treasures is a stroke of luck. I could wield a magnificent blade, capable of striking true quite often, or I could get...a lump of coal that burns for days instead of hours. It's a gamble, and one that might not be successful, unlike your own skills. So, if I have them, then it's good.

KC: You do have an enchanted vehicle, however...

Hd'L: True, and it has given me a much greater utility than an enchanted weapon or artifact, in any case. It also costs whenever I have to repair it, or even provide my crew with food and fresh water.

KC: So...how did you met your crew, anyways? That's an interesting story. In fact, what is the utility of your crew?

Hd'L: Utility is such a harsh word. They are friends, they are almost family. Much as I wouldn't place passengers in deadly situations unless I could solve that on my own, I wouldn't make my crew face situations in which they may perish unless I have a way to deal with it. However, they are quite useful in combat, as I can rally them into victory. Besides, for all my talent as a sailor of sea and sky, and how fast I may move, I have but two arms and two legs, no?

KC: To finish, what would you wish to tell to the readers of the Chronicle?

Hd'L: That there's nothing better than to experience things firsthand.

--

And with this, we wrap up yet another interview with the people that shape the present Khorvaire. Await us next time, where we'll speak with another fearsome pirate lord of the Lhazaar Principalities. See you next time!

--

The following interview was done with the help of the following resources:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Complete Adventurer (Dread Pirate), Tome of Battle: the Book of Nine Swords (Warblade, maneuvers, Song of the White Raven and White Raven Defense feats), Dragonmarked (Storm Sentry), Eberron Campaign Setting (Lesser Dragonmark and Least Dragonmark feats), Complete Scoundrel (skill tricks), Dungeonscape (Lore Song class feature), Magic Item Compendium, Dungeon Master's Guide II (some magic items), Player's Guide to Eberron, Races of the Wild (fluff), SRD (Bard, feats, rules)

18. - Top - End - #108
    Banned

Take me out to the black
    Tell them I ain't comin' back
    Burn the land and boil the sea
    You can't take the sky from me

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent
    Here’s one. Served on a plate of extra awesome.

captain Vincent Alzey d’Lyrandar

A hundred o’gold says, that my ship would be at Stormhome before you can find a mage with the teleport. Deal?
    CG male half-elf bard 5/ Rogue 2 (Martial, Mimic)/windwright captain 4/honorable dread pirate 9
    Stats at 1st level: STR 10 DEX 16 CON 12 INT 14 WIS 12 CHA 14
    Stats at 20th level (pre-items) STR 10 DEX 19 CON 12 INT 16 WIS 12 CHA 14
    First two bumps to int, then dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Vincent Alzey d’Lyrandar

1st|Beguiler|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    | Profession (sailor)+4, Use Magic Device+4, Diplomacy+4, Appraise+4, Balance+4, Bluff+4, Search+4, Concentration+4|Least Dragonmark of Storm (fog cloud)|Armored mage, Trapfinding

2nd|Beguiler|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    | Profession (sailor)+5, Use Magic Device+5, Diplomacy+5, Appraise+5, Balance+5, Bluff+5, Search+5, Concentration+5| |Cloaked casting (+1 DC), Surprise casting

3rd|Rogue|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +3
    | Profession (sailor)+6, Use Magic Device+6, Diplomacy+5, Appraise+5, Balance+5, Bluff+5, Search+5, Concentration+5, Use rope+4, Swim+4|Skilll focus: Diplomacy, Weapon finesse(bonus)|Mimic

4th|Rogue|
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    | Profession (sailor)+7, Use Magic Device+7, Diplomacy+6, Appraise+6, Balance+6, Bluff+6, Search+6, Concentration+6, Use rope+4, Swim+4, Tumble+2|Quick draw(bonus)|Evasion

5th|Beguiler|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +3
    | Profession (sailor)+8, Use Magic Device+8, Diplomacy+7, Appraise+7, Balance+7, Bluff+7, Search+7, Concentration+7, Use rope+4, Swim+4, Tumble+2||Advanced learning

6th|Beguiler|
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    | Profession (sailor)+9, Use Magic Device+9, Diplomacy+7, Appraise+7, Balance+7, Bluff+7, Search+7, Concentration+7, Use rope+4, Swim+4, Tumble+2|Lesser Dragonmark of Storm(Wind’s favor)|

7th|Beguiler|
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    | Profession (sailor)+10, Use Magic Device+10, Diplomacy+8, Appraise+8, Balance+8, Bluff+8, Search+8, Concentration+8, Use rope+4, Swim+4, Tumble+2||Silent spell

8th|Windwright captain|
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    | Profession (sailor)+11, Use Magic Device+11, Diplomacy+9, Appraise+8, Balance+9, Bluff+9, Search+8, Concentration+9, Use rope+4, Swim+4, Tumble+5||Dragonmark control, Master pilot, Shipboard Fighter

9th| Windwright captain |
    +5
    |
    +1
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    | Profession (sailor)+12, Use Magic Device+12, Diplomacy+10, Appraise+8, Balance+10, Bluff+10, Search+8, Concentration+10, Use rope+4, Swim+4, Tumble+8|Greater Dragonmark of Storm (Control winds)|Acquire ship, uncanny dodge

10th| Windwright captain |
    +6/+1
    |
    +2
    |
    +7
    |
    +7x
    | Profession (sailor)+13, Use Magic Device+13, Diplomacy+10, Appraise+8, Balance+10, Bluff+10, Search+8, Concentration+10, Use rope+4, Swim+4, Tumble+11||Rebuke elementals

11th| Windwright captain |
    +7/+2
    |
    +2
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    | Profession (sailor)+14, Use Magic Device+14, Diplomacy+11, Appraise+8, Balance+11, Bluff+11, Search+8, Concentration+11, Use rope+4, Swim+4, Tumble+12||Lesser shipbond Skilltrick: Nimble Charge

12th|Dread Pirate|
    +8/+3
    |
    +2
    |
    +10
    |
    +8
    | Profession (sailor)+15, Use Magic Device+14, Diplomacy+13, Appraise+8, Balance+12, Bluff+12, Search+8, Concentration+11, Use rope+4, Swim+4, Tumble+14,|Arcane strike|Seamanship, Two-weapon fighting. Skilltrick: Acrobatic Backstab

13th| Dread Pirate |
    +9/+4
    |
    +2
    |
    +11
    |
    +8
    | Profession (sailor)+16, Use Magic Device+14, Diplomacy+16, Appraise+8, Balance+13, Bluff+13, Search+8, Concentration+11, Use rope+4, Swim+4, Tumble+15||Fearsome reputation+2. Skilltrick: Social Recovery

14th| Dread Pirate |
    +10/+5
    |
    +3
    |
    +11
    |
    +9
    | Profession (sailor)+17, Use Magic Device+14, Diplomacy+17, Appraise+8, Balance+17, Bluff+14, Search+8, Concentration+11, Use rope+4, Swim+4, Tumble+17||Rally the crew+1 (1/day)

15th| Dread Pirate |
    +11/+6/+1
    |
    +3
    |
    +12
    |
    +9
    | Profession (sailor)+18, Use Magic Device+14, Diplomacy+18, Appraise+8, Balance+18, Bluff+18, Search+8, Concentration+11, Use rope+5, Swim+4, Tumble+18|Sociable Personality|Acrobatic charge, Steady stance

16th| Dread Pirate |
    +12/+7/+2
    |
    +3
    |
    +12
    |
    +9
    | Profession (sailor)+19, Use Magic Device+14, Diplomacy+19, Appraise+8, Balance+19, Bluff+19, Search+8, Concentration+11, Use rope+4, Swim+4, Tumble+19, Spot+4||Luck of the Wind

17th| Dread Pirate |
    +13/+8/+3
    |
    +4
    |
    +13
    |
    +10
    | Profession (sailor)+20, Use Magic Device+14, Diplomacy+20, Appraise+8, Balance+20, Bluff+20, Search+8, Concentration+11, Use rope+4, Swim+4, Tumble+20, Spot+8||Fearsome reputation+4

18th| Dread Pirate |
    +14/+9/+4
    |
    +4
    |
    +13
    |
    +10
    | Profession (sailor)+21, Use Magic Device+14, Diplomacy+21, Appraise+8, Balance+21, Bluff+21, Search+8, Concentration+11, Use rope+4, Swim+4, Tumble+21, Spot+12|Dragonmark Visionary(storm touch)|Rally the crew+2 (2/day)

19th| Dread Pirate |
    +15/+10/+5
    |
    +4
    |
    +14
    |
    +10
    | Profession (sailor)+22, Use Magic Device+14, Diplomacy+22, Appraise+8, Balance+22, Bluff+22, Search+8, Concentration+11, Use rope+4, Swim+4, Tumble+22, Spot+14||Skill Mastery Skilltrick: Spot the weak point

20th| Dread Pirate |
    +16/+11/+6/+1
    |
    +5
    |
    +14
    |
    +11
    | Profession (sailor)+23, Use Magic Device+14, Diplomacy+23, Appraise+8, Balance+23, Bluff+23, Search+8, Concentration+11, Use rope+4, Swim+4, Tumble+23, Spot+18||Fight to the death[/table]

Spells per day
    {table=head]Level|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd
    1st|5|3|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

2nd|6|4|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

3rd|6|4|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

4th|6|4|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

5th|6|5|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

6th|6|6|3|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

7th|6|6|4|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

8th|6|6|5|3|-|-|-|-|-|-

9th|6|6|5|3|-|-|-|-|-|-

10th|6|6|6|4|-|-|-|-|-|-
    [/table]

Build level by level

Level 5:
    Your standard sneaky salad. Good for doing social work, rogue-ish classfeatures such as trapfinding and antiquarian for utility, skills for the skillmonkey and some spells for the topping. Note, that Vincent has two sources of trapfinding, so he trades rogue’s one for extra feature. Also, Evasion – never leave home without it

Level 10:
    Hurricane. Here. Now. With Greater Dragonmark of Storm his caster level for control winds is 13 (10 +3 for Windwright captain), that means 4 shifts. So hurricane, or even tornado in no time. Not bad for a sneaky-type. And here’s the plate. This dish is served on an Airship. Right, the elemental-powered manapunk wonder, worth 92k. Totally breaks the WBL, and provides fulfillment of “special” prerequisite to Dread Pirate. Also we have 3-rd level spells – we’ll need them later. Ah, and uncanny dodge – since we are restricted to light armor (read – mythril breastplate), that comes in handy. Rebuke elementals is cool, but highly situational – I recommend air – you will spend most of the time in air, after all

Level 12 (ta-dam).
    Here is the first Dread Pirate level. I’m spotlighting it for one reason. Since now, the character is the best pilot in the realm, due to synergy between Master Pilot class feature of Windwright and Seamanship of the Dread Pirate. He’ll become even better, but this is where it starts. Also, I’m just a big fan of arcane strike. Now the spells will have their real use, because on that level, saves will be too great anyway.

Level 15
    With fearsome reputation bonus, some rerolls and an armed telepathically-controlled airship right behind, diplomacy starts rocking. The character now fully assumes the role of party face. And he still have decent BAB, the great Acrobatic charge, augmented with Nimble charge skilltrick for extra flexibility, and some decent tricks in the sleeve

Level 20
    More rerolls from Luck of the wind, more diplomacy from Master Fearsome Reputation, crew-buffing, some touch attack spell-likes from the Dragonmark Visionary, being able to fight while everybody makes Balance checks – all this, while maintaining good BAB, having ok skills, and being super-awesome at piloting his airship. Totally worth it.

Strategy and recommended items.
    Beyond Dex and Cha statboosters you personally don’t need anything special. Be sure to purchase weapons for your ship, though. Other than that, just pick whatever you want to UMD.

The story so far
    He was born for the skies. He, and every other young member of house Lyrandar. Vincent had to prove his worthiness from his youth – as a cremember on an airship, along with fellow Dragonmarked youngsters. The house needed only the best, and only the best had the opportunity to become a captain of the airship, ant thus, to prosper in the ranks of mighty Dragonmarked house. And Vincent Alzey wasn’t the best – too light-minded, too careless, and nearly not hard-working enough. But he had his own strengths – faith in his luck and hunch for playing on the other’s vehemence. He made bets. Any kind of bets, even the most unrealistic. And with a mix of luck and cold calculations, he won most of them. He made, won and lost hundreds of bets, but one day, he made a bet of his life with a high-ranked member of his house – Vincent betted, that with an old airship and a crew of volunteers he will catch the legendary pirate ship – the “Silverna”. The stakes was – the same old airship and acceptance in the Windwright Guild as a captain, or life-long personal servitude, of all involved volunteers. That day was the starting day, of the quickest career in house Lyrandar’s history.

Sources
    Complete Adventurer
    PHB 2
    UA
    Explorer’s Handbook
    Complete Scoundrel
    Dragonmarked
    Exemplars of Evil
    Races of Destiny

19. - Top - End - #109
    Banned

FishmenMerfolk are ten times stronger than humans!
    Nevermind. I've been paying too much attention to this guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oltur
    Oltur Seadweller
    Chaotic Good Dark Merfolk Rogue 1/Binder 2/Swashbuckler 3/Dread Pirate 10/Fortune´s Friend 2

{table=head]Level 1 (ECL 3)||Level 18 (ECL 20)|
    ST 10 | IN 16 | ST 10 | IN 16

DE 18 | WI 12 | DE 22 | WI 12

CO 16 | CH 10 | CO 16 | CH 10
    [/table]
    Dexterity gets all four upgrades. (32 pb)

Sources
    Spoiler
    Show
    PHB(Rogue, Skills, Weapon Finesse, Quick Draw), DMG, Tome of Magic(Binder, Improved Binding, Dark creature template), Complete Warrior(Swashbuckler), MM(Merfolk), Complete Adventurer(Dread Pirate), Complete Scoundrel(Fortune´s Friend, Luck feats)

Level by Level
    Spoiler
    Show

Oltur Seadweller

1st|LA(merfolk)|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |-|-|-

2nd|LA(dark)|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |-|-|-

3rd|Rogue 1|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |Appraise 6, Disable Device 6, Use Rope 4, Profession(sailor) 6, Swim 4, Tumble 6, Spot 6, Hide 6|Lucky Start|Trapfinding, Sneak Attack +1d6

4th|Binder 1|
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Bluff 2, Appraise 7(cc), Disable Device 6, Use Rope 4, Profession(sailor) 7, Swim 4, Tumble 6, Spot 6, Hide 6|-|soul binding

5th|Binder 2|
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +2
    |
    +3
    |Bluff 4, Appraise 8(cc), Disable Device 6, Use Rope 4, Profession(sailor) 8, Swim 4, Tumble 6, Spot 6, Hide 6|Improved Binding|Suppress Sign, Pact Augmentation

6th|Swashbuckler 1|
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +3
    |Bluff 6, Appraise 8, Disable Device 6, Use Rope 4, Profession(sailor) 8, Swim 4, Tumble 6, Spot 6, Hide 6, Balance 5|Weapon Finesse(bonus)|-

7th|Swashbuckler 2|
    +3
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +3
    |Bluff 8, Appraise 8, Disable Device 6, Use Rope 5, Profession(sailor) 8, Swim 8, Tumble 6, Spot 6, Hide 6, Balance 5|-|Grace +1

8th|Swashbuckler 3|
    +4
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +4
    |Bluff 9, Appraise 8, Disable Device 6, Use Rope 5, Profession(sailor) 8, Swim 9, Tumble 6, Spot 6, Hide 6, Balance 5, Escape Artist 5|Quick Draw|Insightful Strike

9th|Dread Pirate 1|
    +5
    |
    +6
    |
    +5
    |
    +4
    |Bluff 10, Appraise 8, Disable Device 6, Use Rope 5, Profession(sailor) 8, Swim 10, Tumble 6, Spot 10, Hide 6, Balance 5, Escape Artist 5, Jump 3|-|Seamanship, Two-Weapon Fighting

10th|Dread Pirate 2|
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +4
    |Bluff 11, Appraise 8, Disable Device 6, Use Rope 5, Profession(sailor) 8, Swim 11, Tumble 6, Spot 10, Hide 6, Balance 5, Escape Artist 5, Jump 7, Climb 3|-|Fearsome Reputation +2

11th|Dread Pirate 3|
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +6
    |
    +5
    |Bluff 12, Appraise 8, Disable Device 6, Use Rope 5, Profession(sailor) 8, Swim 12, Tumble 6, Spot 10, Hide 6, Balance 5, Escape Artist 5, Jump 10, Climb 7|Fortuitous Strike|Rally the Crew +1

12th|Dread Pirate 4|
    +8
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +5
    |Bluff 13, Appraise 8, Disable Device 6, Use Rope 5, Profession(sailor) 8, Swim 13, Tumble 6, Spot 10, Hide 6, Balance 5, Escape Artist 5, Jump 10, Climb 10, Sense Motive 4|-|Acrobatic Charge, Steady Stance

13th|Dread Pirate 5|
    +9
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +5
    |Bluff 14, Appraise 8, Disable Device 6, Use Rope 5, Profession(sailor) 9, Swim 14, Tumble 6, Spot 10, Hide 6, Balance 5, Escape Artist 5, Jump 10, Climb 10, Sense Motive 10|-|Luck of the Wind

14th|Dread Pirate 6|
    +10
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |
    +6
    |Bluff 15, Appraise 8, Disable Device 6, Use Rope 5, Profession(sailor) 11, Swim 15, Tumble 6, Spot 15, Hide 6, Balance 5, Escape Artist 5, Jump 10, Climb 10, Sense Motive 10|Unbelievable Luck|Fearsome Reputation +4

15th|Dread Pirate 7|
    +11
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |
    +6
    |Bluff 16, Appraise 8, Disable Device 6, Use Rope 5, Profession(sailor) 11, Swim 16, Tumble 6, Spot 16, Hide 6, Balance 5, Escape Artist 5, Jump 10, Climb 10, Sense Motive 10, Listen 6|-| Rally the Crew +2

16th|Dread Pirate 8|
    +12
    |
    +8
    |
    +9
    |
    +6
    |Bluff 17, Appraise 8, Disable Device 6, Use Rope 5, Profession(sailor) 11, Swim 17, Tumble 6, Spot 17, Hide 6, Balance 5, Escape Artist 5, Jump 10, Climb 10, Sense Motive 13, Listen 9|-|Skill Mastery

17th|Dread Pirate 9|
    +13
    |
    +9
    |
    +9
    |
    +7
    |Bluff 18, Appraise 8, Disable Device 6, Use Rope 5, Profession(sailor) 11, Swim 18, Tumble 6, Spot 18, Hide 6, Balance 5, Escape Artist 5, Jump 10, Climb 10, Sense Motive 16, Listen 12|Survivor´s Luck|Fight to the Death

18th|Dread Pirate 10|
    +14
    |
    +9
    |
    +10
    |
    +7
    |Bluff 19, Appraise 8, Disable Device 6, Use Rope 5, Profession(sailor) 11, Swim 19, Tumble 6, Spot 19, Hide 6, Balance 5, Escape Artist 5, Jump 10, Climb 10, Sense Motive 19, Listen 15|-|Fearsome Reputation +6, Pirate King

19th|Fortune´s Friend 1|
    +14
    |
    +9
    |
    +12
    |
    +7
    |Bluff 20, Appraise 8, Disable Device 6, Use Rope 5, Profession(sailor) 11, Swim 20, Tumble 6, Spot 20, Hide 15, Balance 5, Escape Artist 5, Jump 13, Climb 13, Sense Motive 19, Listen 15|-| Easy Luck, Extra Fortune, More Luck than Skill

20th|Fortune´s Friend 2|
    +15
    |
    +9
    |
    +13
    |
    +7
    |Bluff 23, Appraise 8, Disable Device 6, Use Rope 5, Profession(sailor) 11, Swim 23, Tumble 6, Spot 23, Hide 15, Balance 5, Escape Artist 5, Jump 13, Climb 13, Sense Motive 19, Listen 15|Tempting Fate(bonus),Advantageous Avoidence|-[/table]

Oltur Seadweller was born to a clan of merfolk, which soon realised that he was different. Blessed (or cursed) by some unknown being he was banished from his home as soon as he could take care of himself. Seeking new people to live with, he adopted a village of halfling fishermen (without them knowing, of course), helping them fish by guiding the fishes into their nets, but also playing jokes on them, by knotting their nets together, or helping beatiful fishes escape. During this time he lived in an underwater cave, where he found strang markings on the walls. Studying those he learned the art of pact making, but quickly lost interest into the development of his abilities.

Level 5
    Spoiler
    Show

Oltur mostly tries not to engage anyone in combat and relies on his great speed and his hiding abilities to avoid contact with hostile beings. He has few hitpoints for his level, because of the level adjustment. Binding vestiges like Malphas and Naberius allows him to hide his identity and use extra skills to help those needing specific tasks done (crafting,....) or to scout for dangers in a wide area.

After being dicovered by some young halflings Oltur took a much more active role in the community and openly visited the village. Some time after that a near island was occupied by pirates, which began to raid the villages in the vicinity. Trying to help defend his friends Oltur began to practice his skill with the blade and soon led small attacks on unsuspecting pirate ships using his speed and mobility to surprise and escape. After some time he began to attack bigger targets, even seizing a ship, using it as a base of operations, while on a mission.

Level 10
    Spoiler
    Show

Oltur slowly enhances his melee fighting ability, but still suffers from his low BAB. He now prefers to bind Paimon to improve his fighting ability, since one dance of death lets him nearly cross a small ship athwart. When surrounded he uses his whirlwind attack, but always tries to find a way to escape such a situation. His seamanship allows him to better guide his ship, but he rarely sees a use of his fearsome reputation.

Still trying to protect his friends and their village Oltur almost exclusively lived on his ship and hunted other pirates. Aquiring a small fortune for himself, his crew and his village he caught the eye of a famous halfling pirate, who wanted to test his abilities against those of the merfolk captain. Meeting him on the open sea, he quickly had to realise that Oltur was more powerful. He suurendered and has served as a trusted lieutenant and champion of the halfling people ever since.

Level 15
    Spoiler
    Show

Having taken more levels of dread pirate Oltur now has aquired the luck of the wind ability, which gives him another reroll. He use the acrobatic charge to move quickly to other ships by jumping or swinging on a rope. The improvement to his rally the crew ability helps his crew in fights against other crews, while Oltur takes on the captain or kills as many enemies as possible. His luck feats start to improve his survivability.

Having become one of the most famous pirates known in his part of the world, Oltur now leaves his ship behind most of the time and approaches other pirates alone, only calling his crew, when he encounters serious resistance. The village he sometimes still visits has grown under his protection and is now one of the biggest trade harbours in the world.

Level 20
    Spoiler
    Show

Oltur can now protect his crew better (fight to the death) and has started to take levels in the fortune´s friend PrC, which improves his luck feats. By now he will probably have items that improve his movement speed, so his dance of death can reach more enemies.

Final comments
    Spoiler
    Show

-LA buy off would really help, since the LA hurts, especially at the beginning of Oltur´s live.
    -Including some skill tricks like Point it Out, Spot the Weak Point or Quick Swimmer might improve Oltur further.
    -There are really few classes that get appraise as a class skill. I did not want to take rogue, but the alternative of taking a level of cleric with the right domains did not feel right(although fortune´s friend would then have been able to progress something).

Stats at Level 11 (ECL 13)
    Spoiler
    Show

medium humanoid (extraplanar)
    HD: 6+2d8+3d10+5d8+33 (average: 88)
    Initiative: +7
    Speed: 15 ft., 60 ft. (swim)
    Armor Class: 25 =10+3 armor+3 shield+7 DEX+1 natural+1 deflection
    Attack: +18(9 BAB+1 pact augmentation+7 dex+1 enhancement) Keen, Shocking Rapier +1 (2d6+7/15-20/x2) or +18 Heavy Crossbow +1 (1d10+1/19-20/x2)
    Full Attack: +18/+13 Keen, Shocking Rapier +1 (2d6+7/15-20/x2)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks:Dance of Death(Paimon), Whirlwind Attack(Paimon)
    Special Qualities:Darkvision 60 ft., Superior Low-Light Vision, Resistance (cold) 10, Amphibious, Hide in Plain Sight(Ex), +8 racial on swim, take 10 (swim) to perform special action, Uncanny Dodge(Paimon)
    Saves:Fort +10, Ref +14, Will +6
    Abilities: STR 12, DEX 24, CON 16, INT 20, WIS 12, CHA 10
    Skills: Bluff 14, Appraise 13, Disable Device 11, Use Rope 12, Profession(sailor) 15, Swim 23, Tumble 17, Spot 11, Hide 13, Balance 12, Escape Artist 12, Jump 11, Climb 11, Sense Motive 11
    Feats: Lucky Start, Improved Binding, Weapon Finesse, Quick Draw, Fortuitous Strike
    Items(carried or worn*): bracers of armor +3*, darkwood buckler +2*, shocking, keen rapier +1*, ring of protection +1*, amulett of natural armor +1*, ring of mind shielding*, heavy crossbow +1, headband of intelligence +4*, belt of giant strength +2*, quaal´s feather token (anchor x4), potions of (CLWx2, CMW, Invisibility)
    Bound Vestiges: Paimon
    Alignment: CG
    LA: +2

20. - Top - End - #110
    Banned

If she took 6 levels of Scarlett Johanson, it would be a lot better, wouldn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Alria
    Alria Almaiath, Prowler of the Seas, CN Female Gray Elf Rogue 2/Swashbuckler 3/Dread Pirate 9/Scarlet Corsair 6
    Starting ability scores (32 pt. buy): Str 8, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 8, Cha 14
    Racially modified ability scores: Str 6, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 18, Wis 8, Cha 14
    1st|Rogue 1|+0|
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |Appraise 4 ranks, Bluff 4 ranks, Climb 4 ranks, Gather Information 4 ranks, Intimidate 4 ranks, Jump 4 ranks, Listen 4 ranks, Profession (sailor) 4 ranks, Search 4 ranks, Spot 4 ranks, Tumble 4 ranks, Use Rope 4 ranks|Combat Expertise|Sneak Attack +1d6

2nd|Swashbuckler 1|+1|
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    | Bluff +1, Climb +1, Intimidate +1 (CC), Jump +1, Profession (sailor) +1, Swim +1, Tumble +1|Weapon Finesse|

3rd|Swashbuckler 2|+2|
    +3
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    | Bluff +1, Climb +1, Intimidate +1 (CC), Jump +1, Profession (sailor) +1, Swim +1, Tumble +1|Quick Draw|Grace +1

4th|Swashbuckler 3|+3|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    | Bluff +1, Climb +1, Intimidate +1 (CC), Jump +1, Profession (sailor) +1, Swim +1, Tumble +1||Insightful Strike

5th|Rogue 2|+4|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Appraise +4, Bluff +1, Climb +1, Intimidate +1, Jump +1, Profession (sailor) +1, Spot +1, Swim +1, Tumble +1 | | Evasion

6th|Dread Pirate 1|+5|
    +3
    |
    +6
    |
    +1
    | Bluff +1, Climb +1, Intimidate +1, Jump +1, Profession (sailor) +1, Spot +1, Swim +1, Tumble +1; Timely Misdirection (skill trick)|Goad, Two-Weapon Fighting|Seamanship

7th|Dread Pirate 2|+6/+1|
    +3
    |
    +7
    |
    +1
    | Bluff +1, Climb +1, Intimidate +1, Jump +1, Profession (sailor) +1, Spot +1, Swim +1, Tumble +1; Group Fake-Out (skill trick)| |Fearsome Reputation +2

8th|Dread Pirate 3|+7/+2|
    +4
    |
    +7
    |
    +2
    | Bluff +1, Climb +1, Intimidate +1, Jump +1, Profession (sailor) +1, Spot +1, Swim +1, Tumble +1 ; Point It Out (skill trick)| |Rally the Crew 1/day

9th|Scarlet Corsair 1 |+8/+3|
    +4
    |
    +9
    |
    +2
    | Bluff +1, Climb +1, Intimidate +1, Jump +1, Spot +1 (CC), Swim +1, Tumble +1|Improved Feint, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting|

10th|Scarlet Corsair 2|+9/+4|
    +4
    |
    +10
    |
    +2
    | Bluff +1, Climb +1, Intimidate +1, Jump +1, Spot +1 (CC), Swim +1, Tumble +1 ||Sneak Attack +2d6

11th|Scarlet Corsair 3|+10/+5|
    +5
    |
    +10
    |
    +3
    | Bluff +1, Climb +1, Intimidate +1, Jump +1, Spot +1 (CC), Swim +1, Tumble +1 | |Corsair’s Feint (2d4 rounds)

12th|Dread Pirate 4|+11/+6/+1|
    +5
    |
    +11
    |
    +3
    | Bluff +1, Climb +1, Intimidate +1, Jump +1, Profession (sailor) +1, Spot +1, Swim +1, Tumble +1; Clarity of Vision (skill trick)|Daring Outlaw|Acrobatic Charge, Steady Stance

13th|Dread Pirate 5|+12/+7/+2|
    +5
    |
    +11
    |
    +3
    | Bluff +1, Climb +1, Intimidate +1, Jump +1, Profession (sailor) +1, Spot +1, Swim +1, Tumble +1; Acrobatic Backstab (skill trick) | |Scourge of the Seas

14th|Dread Pirate 6|+13/+8/+3|
    +6
    |
    +12
    |
    +4
    | Bluff +1, Climb +1, Intimidate +1, Jump +1, Profession (sailor) +1, Spot +1, Swim +1, Tumble +1; Spot the Weak Point (skill trick)| |Fearsome Reputation +4

15th|Dread Pirate 7|+14/+9/+4|
    +6
    |
    +12
    |
    +4
    | Bluff +1, Climb +1, Intimidate +1, Jump +1, Profession (sailor) +1, Spot +1, Swim +1, Tumble +1; Extreme Leap (skill trick)|Frightful Presence|Rally the Crew 2/day

16th|Scarlet Corsair 4|+15/+10/+5|
    +6
    |
    +13
    |
    +4
    | Bluff +1, Climb +1, Intimidate +1, Jump +1, Spot +1 (CC), Swim +1, Tumble +1 | |Sailor’s Step +2

17th|Scarlet Corsair 5|+16/+11/+6/+1|
    +6
    |
    +13
    |
    +4
    | Bluff +1, Climb +1, Intimidate +1, Jump +1, Profession (sailor) +1, Spot +1(CC), Swim +1, Tumble +1 | |Scourge of the Seas

18th|Scarlet Corsair 6|+17/+12/+7/+2|
    +7
    |
    +14
    |
    +5
    | Bluff +1, Climb +1, Intimidate +1, Jump +1, Profession (sailor) +1, Spot +1 (CC), Swim +1, Tumble +1 |Deadly Defense|Sneak Attack +5d6

19th|Dread Pirate 8|+18/+13/+8/+3|
    +7
    |
    +15
    |
    +6
    | Bluff +1, Climb +1, Intimidate +1, Listen +1, Jump +1, Profession (sailor) +1, Spot +1, Swim +1, Tumble +1; Speedy Ascent (skill trick)| |Skill Mastery

20th|Dread Pirate 9|+19/+14/+9/+4|
    +8
    |
    +15
    |
    +6
    | Bluff +1, Climb +1, Intimidate +1, Listen +3, Jump +1, Profession (sailor) +1, Spot +1, Swim +1, Tumble +1| |Fight to the Death [/table]

Ability Score Increases per Character Level
    4th – Dexterity
    8th – Intelligence
    12th – Dexterity
    16th – Intelligence
    20th – Charisma

Skills at 20th level
    Appraise +13, Bluff +25, Climb +21**, Gather Information +6, Intimidate +29*, Jump +21, Profession (sailor) +18, Spot +22, Swim +21, Tumble +28, Use Rope +9
    *: bonus from Fearsome Reputation
    **: increases to 30 whenever Steady Stance applies.
    Skill Tricks: Acrobatic Backstab, Clarity of Vision, Extreme Leap, Group Fake-Out, Point It Out, Speedy Ascent, Spot the Weak Point, Timely Misdirection

Background
    Spoiler
    Show
    From the Sea of Green Trees to the Green Seas (5th Level)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ever since her youth, Alria wasn't your average elf. Although blessed with greater poise and refinement, she never felt the forest her home. She was enraptured by the sound of the leaves, a unique song and a gift of the wind. She had heard of stories she believed as true; of cities that bloomed without vegetation, of rivers and lakes that extended far beyond the horizon, whose sound was much like the tree-song she loved so much. Ever since her youth, she made several escapes to her favorite spot, one the elders had called "the Sea of Green Trees".

Sea...what was the sea? She had heard a lot about the seas; massive lakes, with a water that tasted different... The Sea of Green Trees was called as such because of the sound of waves crashing whenever the wind passed; perhaps if she could see the sea, she could understand the mystery behind the rapture of such song.

House Almaiath thought differently. A family of magi, Alria was the next in line to learn the arcane arts of wizardry, as her family often did. But she was not interested in the tomes and the incantations; in fact, she was terrible at magic. However, she was skilled at swordplay, a rare talent which was not developed by the family at all. Her family insisted; her heart could not withstand anymore. She departed, her only belongings an old sword bestowed to her by her master, and very few belongings.

Finally, after years of travel, Alria reached the sea she sought for so long. It was magnificent; the song was exactly as she remembered it, but she had never seen so little green, and so much blue, in her life. Why, then, this place was called the "Green Sea"?

Her question was answered swiftly. A young elf she had never seen, his name Dreryles, welcomed her to his community underwater. A lush green paradise, of seaweed and algae rather than trees and flowers, hid a community of elven cousins whom were marveled by the visit of a land elf. With time, as she established in the nearby city, Alria and Dreryles fell in love and become bethrothed, visiting each day before dusk.

Innocence, Lost (10th level)
    Spoiler
    Show
    But one day, something happened. Dreryles had changed. The nice and warm elf was now cold and distant, sometimes forgetting things that had happened only days ago. Alria couldn't understand the change in behavior, but she suspected a recent attack by sahuagin to be the responsible. That day, Alria asked what really had happened. Her insistence was her undoing; Dreryles attacked her at cold blood, nearly overpowering her despite her talent with a blade.

Her life was nearly over that day. She felt betrayed by those whom had shown so much care. Worse yet, the one man she loved had betrayed her. Too late she found the truth; Dreryles had died, and a foul sahuagin that resembled him took his place, leading to the sahuagin attacks. Ever since, she swore an oath of vengeance against the sahuagin, vowing their reign of terror would end. She declared that she would brave the open seas, in her quest to cleanse the world of all sahuagin. An old human pirate, named Richard the Weedbeard (because of the color of his beard, which resembled dry seaweed), took her under his wing, teaching her the ways of the sea.

Years had passed, and Alria was one of the best sailors in the land. The acts of that day made her bitter and resentful towards her kindred, for she believed they had betrayed her by denying her the truth. However, her enmity towards the aquatic elves was little compared to her bloodlust towards the sahuagin. Borrowing an old coat, she bathed it in the blood of her sworn enemies, forever intoxicated by their smell as a grim reminder of their act.

Yet, despite her descent into darkness, she still held some contempt to certain people. She felt pity towards the family of the fallen Dreryles, and she made a promise that they would see no harm. She also promised, in Richard's death-bed, that she would befall no harm towards any of his family members. It was a reminder that, despite the taint of vengeance in her heart, she teetered on the edge of becoming that which she despised.

Angel of the Coasts, Devil of the Seas (17th level)
    Spoiler
    Show
    With the passing years, and owing to her very long life, Alria and the Trailblazer of the Green (an old junk belonging to her mentor Richard) became a name to be feared. Wearing an old longcoat taken from a particularly bloodthirsty buccaneer and whom she had tinted with the fell sailor's blood as a warning to others, Alria was a divided woman. In the coast, she was respected, beloved because she made the seas safer and had little interest in coin or treasure; in the sea, she was feared, as she was like a judge to all seafarers. But to her enemies, she was a monster, far too skilled in swordsmanship and always seeking their weaknesses. Alria knew very well the worth of fear, and she became a master in using that weapon against her enemies; little by little, the frail-looking elf easily frightened her enemies with her talent in swordsmanship and her own reputation.

Her enemies, however, had another page to her story. In a fell swoop, they intended to finish her legend, to claim the seas she owned. For, despite her ferocity, she had one weakness...

Promises Were Never For Me, Anyways... (20th Level)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Her enemies had planned to lure her into a trap, knowing her enmity towards the sahuagin. Her years of experience allowed her to have a bizarre form of sixth sense against the sea monsters, mostly because she paid good attention and was a sharp sight. She heard the rumor that a sahuagin prince, risen from the ranks of the malenti, plotted to strike the coastal cities. Two parts of the story piqued her interest; it seemed the sahuagin prince called himself "Dreryles" and that the first city they would strike held the family of Richard's niece. Feeling that she would end her sorrow and suffering by dealing the worst strike against her sworn enemies, she followed the trail into the trap. Ambushed by many pirates, they sought for her to surrender, holding the lives of Richard's niece in their hands.

Alria, however, was smarter. Some say she was a little mad given her penchant for murdering the sahuagin. A lone survivor claims that Alria merely smiled, mentioned that at times some rules are meant to be broken, and murdered Richard's niece in cold blood, before finishing each and every one of her enemies in a fell swoop. Once a name spoken freely, now Alria's name is spoken in whispers, for people fear her mind finally broke after another betrayal.

Some say, though, that Richard never had a niece; that, in some corner of Alria's mind, there is still a glimmer of hope that her heart may be healed. But whether the rumors are real or not, few ever dare to speak of Alria Almaiath, referring to her only as the "Prowler of the Seas".

Tactics
    Spoiler
    Show
    At first, Alria behaves quite a lot as an acrobatic kind of Rogue, relying on appropriate opportunities to strike using her Sneak Attack. The levels in Swashbuckler take advantage of her good Intelligence and Dexterity to make her a swift yet deadly combatant in close range, with Combat Expertise providing much needed Armor Class whenever someone hits hard.

Her suite of tricks improves as she takes levels in both Dread Pirate and Scarlet Corsair. It is bizarre to see the same class ability mentioned twice, but there is a reason for that: since the first clas that grants Scourge of the Seas is Dread Pirate, and she gains a bonus on Intimidate based on her reputation, she draws a greater benefit from Dread Pirate than from Scarlet Corsair. You might claim that Dread Pirate is what enables Scarlet Corsair, but Alria draws greater benefits from Dread Pirate than from Scarlet Corsair; essentially, what she draws from the latter is a very specific pair of techniques.

Her main tactic, of course, is using TWF and her decent sneak attack dice (from both classes, not to mention Daring Outlaw allowing rogue and swashbuckler to stack) either by locking enemies in fear (using Scourge of the Seas and Frightful Presence, and using a third fear effect to take them right into panic, possibly a third use of Intimidate) or in specific occasions using Corsair's Feint. Her main method is starting with a simple Intimidate using SotS, then taking advantage of the save reduction to couple with Frightful Presence on a single attack in order to frighten as many enemies as possible. The rest (including Motivate the Scum and Insightful Strike) is merely adding more damage, which coupled with her near-full BAB and high Dexterity score means she can land at least two hits with over 20-30 hit points of damage at high levels. If she finds an enemy having far too much AC, she can use Spot the Weak Point to ensure a single strike will hit (and since Spot the Weak Point is a swift action, coupled with Corsair's Feint which works as a free action, that means she can use her semi-certain hit on her last attack, potentially slaying an enemy with her last iterative). The Spot the Weak Point + Corsair's Feint is a move that only works once per encounter, and generally as a last-resort boost to damage.

Another tactic she uses is her limited battlefield control, making her an unusual form of tank. With Combat Expertise, she can reach a respectable 20 base AC (21 against a single enemy thanks to the dodge bonus from her Swashbuckler levels), which can only grow with equipment. Her ability to frighten enemies in two turns allows her to send enemies away (where she can simply use ranged weapons to attack), and if she needs a creature to deal with her she needs only to use the Goad feat to lure the creature towards her. Timely Misdirection takes advantage of her superior Bluff check to prevent a potentially lethal attack from hitting her if she's flanked, as a counter for rogues and flank-based builds.

Her weaknesses, though, are varied. For starters, undead creatures are her bane; while she can hit relatively well, she lacks non-magic-item related ways to increase her damage to undead. Creatures immune to fear or mind-affecting effects defeat her main tactic, and creatures immune to sneak attack defeat her main source of damage. Another weakness is her very low Strength; because she has very little carrying capacity, she depends on using light equipment to fight, in order to keep her Intelligence bonus to damage intact. This latter ability is only a mild nuisance, as while it limits her at first to leather armor, later on becomes less important as the accessibility to magic items becomes slightly more common; furthermore, Weapon Finesse and Insightful Strike cover attack and damage rolls, and the high ranks in Strength-based checks balance out the lack of high Strength.

How does Dread Pirate adds up in here?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Good question! At a first glance (and probably a last glance), Scarlet Corsair is the backbone of the build, so it may seem like Dread Pirate has no utility. However, there's a lot of synergy between the dishonorable Dread Pirate and the Scarlet Corsair, given that both work well with fear tactics and the progression of Sneak Attack. At the end, while Scarlet Corsair has a very useful third tier of fear, Dread Pirate offers a more stable form of increased damage and an increased bonus to Intimidate which is the backbone of the Scourge of the Seas + Frightful Presence combo. The amount of skill points offered is also useful, because it enables a great load of skill tricks to be learned, including the ever-essential Spot the Weak Point, as well as the useful Acrobatic Backstab (whenever you need a feint but Corsair's Feint is still recharging), Group Fake-Out (whenever several enemies require being Feinted, which couples well with Corsair's Feint), Clarity of Vision and others. While skill tricks depend almost exclusively on skill points, Dread Pirate offers the second-largest amount of skill points on the build (aside from the Rogue's skill point amount) which means there's a reasonable surplus of skill points that may be expended.

The reason why the last level of Dread Pirate was skipped has several reasons. The first, of course, is that the net benefit of adding an extra dice of sneak attack against a +2 to Intimidate and a minor form of Leadership is superior. The second comes with Pirate King: the build, while useful within a party as the main damage dealer and a secondary tank in terms of battlefield control, has little abilities that a group might exploit, so it won't help 1st level followers any more than a Fighter or Rogue would.

Another hard choice is Acrobatic Charge. Referring to the "Monk problem", Acrobatic Charge works really well on a mobile warrior, while TWF works well on a static kind of character. While Alria has enough ranks in Jump and Tumble to make use of it, charging is less probable than actual combat. Acrobatic Charge works well to enable Frightful Presence, however, and it is the 7th level Swashbuckler ability, so Alria has effectively 7 levels in Swashbuckler because of how Dread Pirate and Daring Outlaw work out.

Resources:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Complete Adventurer: Dread Pirate PrC, Goad feat
    Complete Scoundrel: Daring Outlaw and Deadly Defense feats (76), Skill tricks (83)
    Complete Warrior: Swashbuckler base class (11-13)
    Draconomicon: Frightful Presence feat (106)
    Monster Manual: Gray Elf racial features (available on SRD)
    Stormwrack: Scarlet Corsair PrC (65)

21. - Top - End - #111
    Banned

That's the last of them. Ready, set, JUDGE!

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Nice. Not surprising to see a few Lion Totem Barbarians in there, since Dread Pirates make good chargers, and pounce is too tasty to pass up.

My first build was an Aqautic Elf Expert 2/Barbarian 1/Fighter 2/DP 10/Scarlet Corsair 5. I then aboned that for a Human Fighter (Zhentarim Soldier) 9/Barbarian (Lion Totem) 1/Dread Pirate 10. Zhentarim fighter 9 was to get a swift demoralize Initmidate action, coupled with Imperious Command and the Dread Pirates 30 ft Intimidate goodness.

The snag I hit was not being able to squeeze Profession (sailor) in there to qualify for DP.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yeah! I'm glad we got these up. I lol'd at one of the builds, since I had the EXACT same class breakdown in mind before I went in an entirely different direction. I can't wait to read over all of the entries in depth (and see what the judges have to say as well).
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

24. - Top - End - #114
    Dwarf in the Playground

My judging will be edited into this post as I judge them. I'll start judging tonight or tomorrow, so expect them done within the week. First, a comment: A large number of these builds seemed to be based in Eberron, is this coincidence or not, do you think?

Edit: I don't have Explorer's Handbook (and isn't there more than one?), so can somebody point out what it was used for, and if it works? Is the Explorer's Handbook referenced the Eberron one? If so, I have it.

EDIT: Going in reversal temporal order for judging. Ghost finished

Ghost:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Power: 1.5: Your power is worse than a straight hexblade, losing BAB, spells, curses, and Aura of Unluck (-3). Instead you gain ghost features (+1) and various benefits from Pirate Lord, of which only two help you in combat (+1). The powers that you do get are fairly standard (most creatures at level 20 are beating your demoralization check, and even then, at best you make them shaken (-2 to hit/damage) for 5 rounds; or takes 1 minute and is fairly useless in combat (-0.5).

Originality: 3: You used a unique concept for this competition (+1), but it was a fairly obvious cliche (-1). Your backstory was adequate but not exceptional (+0).

Elegance: 1: No sources listed, which prevents me from knowing where you got the ghost class from (-1). You don't qualify for Force of Will, so that feat is illegal (-0.5). Not taking full levels in Ghost, while legal, is inelegant and likely to get a book thrown at you, but no deduction as it is legal. Web-based material is questionable as useable material, do to not being an official rule-book (-0.5).

UoSI: 3: You manage to make good use of some of the features of the SI (+1), but gain no benefit from the majority of them (-1). Those that are used aren't the most useful ones from the class, but that is recorded under Power above.

Total: 8.5
    Last edited by vikingofdoom; 2011-03-24 at 01:23 PM.
    Thanks to Vrythas for the awesome Myrddraal avatar.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, Explorer's Handbook is the Eberron one.

Okay... 8 builds to judge, 7 days to do it... I think I'll be done ahead of schedule.
    Spoiler
    Show

Oh, and DFTBA.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Good stuff. Someone came very close to my build . . . I was going to be a Bard/Half-Elf Paragon/Windwright Captain/Dread Pirate (not in that order), take the first half-elf Bard sub level from Races of Destiny, crank my social skills up really high, and play around with the whole "a Dread Pirate's reputation need not match their actual outlook or alignment" deal.

Anyway, this should be a good match. I won't try to put a limit on when I'll be finished (since I don't want to make any promises I can't keep), but I'll do my best not to leave anyone hanging.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

27. - Top - End - #117
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

My build was looking something like this: Half-Elf Swashbuckler 1/Artificer 5/Dread Pirate 4/Windwright Captain 5/Dread Pirate 5 with a focus on making my ship as pimped out as possible (via Artificer and Landlord) and converting pirated treasure (via Retain Essence) into pirate-like effigies.

I felt less than confident in the last moment though.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I was planning an Antropomorphic Badger Dragonfire Adept/Dread Pirate.

DFA has Intimidate and Appraise as class skills.

With Beguiling Influence+Entangling Exhalation+Slow Breath+Frightful Presence Invocation, and the Badger's Rage+Intimidating Rage+Imperious Command.

The problems were LA+3, and I couldn't find a satisfactory method of dealing damage to myself as a free action. Blood Magus was the best I found, but it didn't synergize well with Dragonfire Adept.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

I was planning a Half-Orc Cleric 2/Barbarian 3/Dread Pirate 10/Orc Warlord 5, with Extra Leadership.

Yes, I would have gotten (calculating from the bonuses from Ecclesiarch and Blood of the Warlord) 540 1st level, 52 2nd level, 28 3rd, 16 4th, 8 5th and 8 6th level followers, half of which would be Orcs of some description.

I'm kinda surprised that no one else thought to optimize leadership...
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    I was planning a Half-Orc Cleric 2/Barbarian 3/Dread Pirate 10/Orc Warlord 5, with Extra Leadership.

Yes, I would have gotten (calculating from the bonuses from Ecclesiarch and Blood of the Warlord) 540 1st level, 52 2nd level, 28 3rd, 16 4th, 8 5th and 8 6th level followers, half of which would be Orcs of some description.

I'm kinda surprised that no one else thought to optimize leadership...
    Mostly that's due to IC banning Leadership and things like it. It's why Pirate King is kinda odd in the competition, really, considering it's never been brought up before.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!