New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Wrong Guys IC II

I'm so proud of this game, honestly. Fast, interesting, and...second thread. What's not to like?

Previous Thread OOC Thread

Spoiler
    Show

Deities:
    Spoiler
    Show

Aldaran, God of the Sun, the main deity, Patron of Paladins. Holy Symbol: A sun. Domains: Sun, Strength, War. Favored Weapon: Warhammer

The Wanderer, patron god of travelers and tricksters everywhere, halflings especially. Symbol: A hood, with a face barely visible inside. Domains: Luck, Travel, Trickery. Favored weapon: Quarterstaff

Andarra, Goddess of Death. Symbol: A rotting hand. Domains: Death, Destruction, Protection. Favored weapon: Glaive.

Esari, Wife of Alderan. Goddess of the home. Symbol: Two hands with palms together. Domains: Healing, Protection. Favored Weapon: Dagger

Elves tend to worship Obad-hai (the dude in the player's handbook) or the Moon Lady (Domains: Magic, Protection, Knowledge, Healing), represented by the largest moon (There are 3, but one is tiny and the other is blue and comes around about once every 7 years), considering celestials to be her children. A good portion of them are atheists.

The Big 16:

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)? D&D 3.5

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)? Homebrewed setting.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many? 4-6 players, no alternates on account of the fact this is my first time DMing a PbP and I'd like to keep it simple.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)? This Forum.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    ECL 3. Note that non-human characters are distrusted at best and hunted and killed at worst.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with? 1000 gp, nothing magical.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes? No clerics. No wizards. No beguilers. No psionics. No wu jen. Someone better have Heal as a class skill. I'm not about to go easy on you. Your character MUST have a legitimate way to have gained his/her class(es). Show me the homebrew if you want it allowed.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species? As above: just show me the homebrew.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points? Roll for hit points. You are a ragtag bunch of misfits who really aren't supposed to be here and this is represented by the way I am determining your stats. 25 point buy or roll 4d6b3 in order for your stats, switch any two to represent training. If you want to roll, make 2 arrays and choose one.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    There is alignment for roleplaying and restrictions (paladins must be LG), but no alignment-specific spells. See point 13.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it? No penalties for multiclassing. Not everyone can be a sorcerer. You must start with at least 1 level of sorcerer, be a race with spell-like abilities, or be a race with sorcerer as its favored class to take levels in sorcerer over the course of the campaign.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them? Forum Dice Roller please. Make all the rolls you want.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    Detect alignment, undetectable alignment, protection from alignment, Alignment-specific domains, anything else that does something like that, out. Any spells that deals bonus damage/effects against a creature of a certain alignment now either deals that extra damage to arcane spellcasters, divine spellcasters, or non-spellcasters (Something that affected evil now affects arcane, something that affected chaos now affects divine, something that affected law now affects the non-spellcasters, something that affects good has no equivalent.) Elf Favored Class is Sorcerer instead of Wizard.

Other:

Monk: Full BAB
    A partial Flurry (as flurry, but no extra attacks from high BAB) can be made as a standard attack starting at 2nd level.
    3rd Level Monk Extraordinary ability: Add Wisdom to all melee combat rolls (grapple, trip, bull rush, whatever)
    5th Level: Uncanny Dodge
    6th Level: Ki Strike as a +1 Weapon
    10th Level: Ki Strike (ghost touch, replaces Ki strike (lawful)), Improved Uncanny Dodge
    12th Level: Ki Strike as a +2 Weapon that deals slashing damage as well,
    Abundant Step usable a number of times/day equal to Wisdom modifier.
    16th Level: Ki Strike (adamantine)
    20th Level: Ki Strike as a +3 Weapon that deals piercing damage as well.

Paladin(Witch-hunter): Smite Arcane (Replaces Smite Evil) granted at a different progression (1st, 4th, 7th, 10th, 13th, 16th, 20th) as opposed to whatever it does right now.
    Gain Knowledge (Arcana) and Spellcraft as class skills.
    Replace Detect Evil with Detect Magic
    Remove Disease X/Week is replaced by Greater Dispel Magic (Targeted only) as a Spell-Like Melee Touch Attack usable X times/day. Caster Level = Paladin Level
    Remove Aura of Courage
    8th Level Paladin Ability: The paladin gains spell resistance=Paladin level+Charisma score.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)? Yes. I need to know how you obtained your class and what the heck are you doing in the sewers of the capital of a human country anyways? In addition, those who write good backstories get 100 roleplaying XP. Those who have a special item from their backstory get a +1 bonus on Will saves when it is in their possession and a -2 morale penalty when it is lost or destroyed. Really good backstories will have a small story arc devoted to them. (Yes, I am shamelessly bribing you here.)

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above? Lots of roleplaying (roleplaying XP is available), quite a lot of hack and slash, definitely at least a little puzzle solving.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters? SRD, Completes (Arcane/Divine/Warrior/Adventurer/Scoundrel/Mage), PHB 2, the web with my approval (classes like the marshal, anything from an excerpt of the rulebooks)

Characters:
    Audric
    Rána
    Antal Nirum
    Llaars Hayden
    Rowan [ON HIATUS]

Antal
    Spoiler
    Show

"Crap. Er...should we go check it out, then?"
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2012-02-05 at 04:50 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Wrong Guys IC II

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't know where it was, it stopped before I could get a fix. Spread out a little and look around?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Antal
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Fine by me." He heads back up the narrow tunnel that connects the 'dock' you're standing on to the greater tunnel system.

Since you're here: 3 Listen checks. Spot too.
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2011-03-14 at 01:42 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Savannah View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Wait!" Rana seems to have suddenly thought of something. "While I think we should go down some time, we may be moving farther away from Antal if we do this. Of course, we don't know where he is, so we might be getting closer, too." She frowns, then turns and rummages in her pack. "Ah, here! I did have some chalk. We could leave a message for him on the walls here, in case he makes it back before we do and comes looking for us. Of course, someone else could come along and read it instead of him. What do you think?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I honestly think the benefit do outweight the risk. Go ahead, but if you can, try to be a bit criptic". He just had the mental image of Keon finding the home of the creature before him. He shudders, then addresses Yilminri. "You need the rope? You can take it. Hmm...rope." he says, pointing. He did not catch the word Yilminri used to describe it, but it seems like a word that would be useful to know.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen 1:(1d20+8)[27]
    Listen 2:(1d20+8)[18]
    Listen 3:(1d20+8)[9]
    Spot:(1d20+6)[7]
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Not Antal
    Spoiler
    Show

"Rop? Rope? Rope..." Yilminri seems to be testing out the sound of the word as it knots the rope around its waist somewhat clumsily. The knot doesn't exactly look like it's going to hold, and Yilminri doesn't look particularly satisfied with it. "Boeraa," it comments as it begins to redo the knot.

Antal
    Spoiler
    Show

The faint, indistinguishable, sounds of conversation start again, and the sound leads you to a cold cavern. It is wet down here, and the sound of dripping water and rushing river in the distance mix with the words you cannot understand and can barely hear.
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2011-03-14 at 02:00 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Llaars

Not the halfling
    Spoiler
    Show

Having stood silent for most of this conversation, Llaars finally decides to speak up. "You don't think it might be kinda dumb to follow this critter back to it's home? You saved it's life and all but I'm pretty sure nobody down here is gonna be too friendly to a paladin."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Not the halfling
    Spoiler
    Show
    "That's assuming they even know what a paladin is" Audric answers, shaking his head "And frankly, I feel we are out of options on this. If we are following Iil'ssaran we need all the help and the information we can get. He didn't cower from me or attack me on sight" Which is more that could be expected if the parts were reversed and it was any other paladin to stand in his place. "I'm taking it as a good sign."

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

9. - Top - End - #9
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Spoiler
    Show
    Rana considers for a minute before writing "Continuing down. Everyone alright; still together." and signing it with an R inside a sketch of a wolf's paw. She turns to Audric and Llaars, "What do you think?"
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    He nods. "I'm afraid it's the best we can do. And he is smart, even if he is an irresponsible twit. He'll figure it out. " He notices the difficulties the little creature is having with the rope, then. "Wait, let me help you." he says, kneeling in front of it to assist it in tying the rope. Even if they decide not to follow it, he supposes they should lower it where it can easily get home.

He is very careful to move only if Yilminri seems confortable with it: if at any time it resists being helped or shows signs of being scared, he stops immediately. "Llaars has a point, but I really see no alternatives" he says, shaking his head. However, he doesn't want to force anyone to do something they don't want to. "But if any of you has other suggestions, I'll be glad to hear them."

((Taking 20 in a use rope check...or aid another, as appropriate.))
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2011-03-15 at 01:24 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Not Antal
    Spoiler
    Show

Yilminri grins widely when you bend down to help it with the rope, then picks up the other end and shoves it towards you. "Boeraa se kempa. Er...gulhaps shyos...paleese?"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Throwing caution to the winds, Antal calls out, Is someone out there?
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13

"We're up here!" Rana quickly goes to peer over the edge of the hole, looking for Antal.

Spot, if needed (1d20+8)[9]
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Nope. Can't see him.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Not Antal
    Spoiler
    Show
    "You want me to hold the rop.." Audric starts, then he hears the yell from down the hole, and Rana reacting to it. His eyes widen in surprise "Wait." he instructs the creature, with a gesture that he hopes gets the point across. Just one second. Just till I make sure I have not completely lost my mind. He gets up hastly.

"Antal?" he calls out, his voice a mixture of surprise and relief. He too tries to see if he spots Antal down the hole-

spot - (1d20+3)[6]
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2011-03-15 at 04:12 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

How the heck did you guys get down here?

Spot: (1d20+6)[19]
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Antal
    Spoiler
    Show

You can see the glow of their lantern, and outlines that might be their heads.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

That's rich, coming from someone who teleported away. Audric thinks, replying almost instantly "How in Aldaran's name did you end here, you maddening... are you all right? Wait. Don't move. Don't do anything, you hear me? We're coming down where you are. Ah...there's a friend with us, so don't go stabbing him just because he isn't us .".

19. - Top - End - #19

Rana gives up trying to spot Antal and turns to Audric. "Wait, why are we going down? Shouldn't we lower the rope and bring him up?"
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

"What about our friend here?" Audric answers, pointing to Yilminri. "If we still want to follow him, it makes sense we get down to Antal, not the other way around."

21. - Top - End - #21

"Right, but Antal will have information about what's down there that we might want to know before we go heading in. And it's faster to move one person up and then everyone down than the rest down and everyone up, since we don't know if we'll be wanting to follow our little friend after what Antal tells us."
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

She is right, you know. You should listen to her, she has an head on her shoulders. Druid and all. Audric sighs quietly. “You’re right” he says, giving voice to his thoughts. Of course, he has to make Yilminri understand that.

He turns towards him again. ”Ah… Yilminri? I do need the rope back. Boera. Please.” he says, pointing and gesturing to the little creature to untie the knot he made. “I have a friend down there that I have to bring back”. And tie up. And possibly gag, to avoid other disasters. “I’ll bring you home, I promise.”
    He has no idea how to explain all that with the four words he understood and some gestures, but Yilminri seems smart enough to probably have figured the situation alone, from the dynamics and the tone of their voices. He hopes, at least.
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2011-03-16 at 04:20 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Yilminri nods, and tries to untie the knot. It doesn't seem to have much more luck with undoing the knot than it did with tying the knot, but it loosens the rope enough that the loop can slip off its thin frame. It hands the rope back to you, looking very pleased with itself for 'escaping' the knot.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric smiles at him. It seems his assessment of the creature's intelligence was correct. "Thank you" he says, taking the rope from him and turning towards the hole again. He doesn't undo the knot: Antal is small enough that maybe he can use it.

"Antal" he calls out, tossing the loop end of the rope down the hole while holding the other "Can you get up here?"

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

You guys should come down, there's some stuff to check out down here, there's boats. Boat, actually, apparently the others have been removed.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric blinks. Yes, he is all right. The non sequiturs are exactly the same he thinks, frowning and turning to the others. "How do we want to do this? Bring Shadow down first, then our friend, and then climb down ourself?" He is expecially worried about the wolf. Fortunately, the rope can be tied to the edge of the hole, as he saw before. Whatever it would hold, that was another matter entirely.
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2011-03-17 at 01:32 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Yilminri is silent for only a few more seconds, then he/she peeks down the hole, dangling about half its body over the edge. "Ko bow-ut alifeen jyann? no, alfeen shyosne heggali....gulhap shyos Alifeen! Wassa bow-ut?!" he/she yells, high, reedy, voice echoing in the tunnel.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

"Hey. Hey!" Audric moves quickly forward, grabbing Yilminri by the shoulder to prevent him from falling. He keeps a firm hold, but is careful not to grip tightly enough to possibly harm the creature "Be careful, you'll fall down!" . His voice shows more than a hint of concern. Then, turning to the others "On second thought, I think it's best to lower our overenthusiastic friend, first, before he falls to his death. Antal. ANTAL!" he shouts "That's the creature I was talking about. We're bringing him down, okay?"

Spoiler
    Show
    ((Soo...how exactly do we want to do this? Can we take 10 or 20 to bring everyone down? Or everyone except the last of us, that has to take chances with the rope and the hooking place? ))

29. - Top - End - #29

Rana frowns slightly, rubbing Shadow's head, "I'm not sure what's the best way to get Shadow down. I suppose we can make a harness and lower him...."
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground

Llaars

He smiles at the ugly little creature trying his best to get down without the rope and laughs. "I think he's got the right idea." He calls down to the halfling. "You said there' a boat? S'that mean there's water too?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Does Llaars see any water down there? If so how deep?