New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: The Wrong Guys IC II

"After you."

Rana keeps the makeshift leash on Shadow....just in case.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, says Antal quietly, I guess that makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ettin in the Playground

Make Spot, Listen, and any other checks you want to make: I personally suggest Hide and Move Silently.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric nods, taking the lead in front of the group. As he walks, he tries to see if there is something that can tell him whether someone passed from there recently, and in that case, how many people could they be.

spot - (1d20+3)[14]
    listen - (1d20+3)[10]
    search - (1d20+1)[14]

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

5. - Top - End - #275
    Troll in the Playground

Spot: (1d20+6)[20]
    Listen: (1d20+8)[22]
    Hide isn't really applicable since we're not hiding...
    Move Silently: (1d20+8)[21]
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Also

hide - (1d20)[10]
    move silently - (1d20)[15]

but I think I have a penality on those.... -5, if I remember (can't check right now)

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

7. - Top - End - #277

Rana
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot (1d20+8)[20]
    Listen (1d20+8)[22]
    Hide (1d20+6)[13]
    Move silently (1d20+6)[16]
    Handle animal (1d20+14)[19] (for trying to get Shadow to be stealthy....not sure if that really needs anything, as he's likely pretty uncomfortable and trying to stay out of sight in the sewers, but I'll let you decide )

Shadow
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot (1d20+3)[20]
    Listen (1d20+3)[11]
    Hide (1d20+6)[8]
    Move silently (1d20+6)[8]
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ettin in the Playground

You walk for a while in tense silence that feels thick enough to cut. The muted clanking of Audric's armor and the smacking sounds of Shadow's anxious paws against the dark stone are the only sounds accompanying you, but you feel like there should be more where there is only silence. The tunnel splits, but the tiny side tunnels are too small for even Antal to fit through, to say nothing of trying to fit either of the humans through the cracks.

There are small piles of bones down here, and scratches on the wall forming crude runes. After about ten minutes of walking, you notice that the ground appears to be damp in places. Water, perhaps, or maybe blood. Given what you have seen down here, it is not unlikely.

Antal, Rana, Shadow
    Spoiler
    Show

Closer scrutiny shows you that whatever the liquid is, it looks like mucus and blood mixed together, smeared across the ground in patches. As if something had been limping with the snot-like substance on its bad leg.

Antal, Rana
    Spoiler
    Show

And then, the screaming. Almost too faint to hear, but imbued with anguished power and raw desperation.

Antal
    Spoiler
    Show

Familiar screaming.

9. - Top - End - #279

Rana starts to point to some of the patches of liquid, "Look, it looks like something was hurt and-", then breaks off with a hiss. "Someone's in trouble!"
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Troll in the Playground

Antal bolts towards the screaming, not even bothering to draw his sword.

Spoiler
    Show
    Full run.
    Last edited by Jallorn; 2011-05-06 at 12:17 AM.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #281

"Gods, I should have put the leash on him," Rana mutters, speeding up her pace as well (although not outright running).
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ettin in the Playground

Antal quickly bolts off into the darkness.

Antal
    Spoiler
    Show

The light from the lantern soon fades, and all that guides you is the screaming. Paral's screaming, if you aren't mistaken.

You barely know where you're going, can barely see the walls. But the screams get louder, and soon you can hear that they are interspersed with gasping sobs.

"gods...please..."

13. - Top - End - #283
    Troll in the Playground

Paral, I'm here, Antal calls out.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric puts his hand on the sword as soon as Rana warns them, but he doesn't even have the time to understand where the trouble is that Antal squeezes past him and runs off.

"Antal!" he hisses, then gives up. No way the halfling is going to listen to him now. He draws his sword, running after Antal in the hope to catch up with him.

15. - Top - End - #285

Seeing Audric run off as well, Rana shakes her head then breaks into a run to try to keep up.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, if there's anything here, you've surely alerted it to your presence by now. As you head deeper into the web of tunnels in pursuit of Antal, you hear whispers, weak, scared, angry, and sharp. The speaker has power, you don't need to be a paladin to feel that. There is something, something here, something malevolent. The sounds in the tunnel-your feet, your calls, your whispers, and soon, the distant gasps and sobs and screams all echo louder than they should.

And the silence speaks, in tones loud enough, it seems, to shake the earth down to its core, but its words slip away...

"please!"
    Four hundred years
    "let me go..."
    Will not
    "I don't..."
    We too must live
    A wordless scream, too loud for something that sounds so far away, and then it cuts off abruptly.
    No more screaming
    Heavy breaths, echoing around you. "I...ikathk-mmp!"
    No more struggling
    "my..."
    No more you
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2011-05-06 at 03:55 PM.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Troll in the Playground

Antal continues to run towards the voice, screaming at the top of his lungs, PARAL!!
    Show

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric feels the hair on the back of his neck stand up, but keeps running ahead, towards Antal's voice.

19. - Top - End - #289

Rana stops, hugging herself, swaying back and forth, breathing hard. Shadow whimpers, pressing himself close to her side.

After a moment that feels like an eternity, Rana whispers "What are you?"
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ettin in the Playground

Stubborn human
    Antal gets there first.
    Give up
    It isn't as hard to see as it should be, due to the fact that the tall, lanky, dark-haired youth curled into the wall is glowing red, red like dried blood. His eyes are squeezed tightly shut, and you can see tear tracks glistening on his face. His lip is split and there are tiny glass fragments in his clothes.
    We do not have to fight
    Drying red blood, black gunk, and mucus-like brain substitute are smeared across his charred clothing. His outstretched right leg seems to have a large gash in it, a gash he seems to be scrabbling at with his fingers. That would probably hurt, but he does not scream again. There is something smashed on the wall, wiggling feebly, and there are five more of those tadpole things flopping uselessly on the floor.
    But if we do, you shall fall
    Sparks flash and wink out between his fingers, orange and blood red. If you were looking for confirmation about the identity of the boot, it is right here-both of his sodden, patched, leather boots seem to be firmly on his feet.
    Not I
    His eyes open a crack, and he gazes up at you with fogged brown eyes. "Antal?" he whispers, voice dry and cracked. You can hear the desperation in his voice mixed with relief and...fear, perhaps. Behind that, you can hear the same power that you heard earlier, strong like a castle wall, warm like a hearth, but breaking, as if it was being chipped away, ripped to pieces.
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2011-05-06 at 04:14 PM.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Troll in the Playground

Paral, what happened, are you okay? Let me bandage that. Where is that blasted witch? in his worry, Antal begins talking a mile a minute, barely letting Paral answer.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #292
    Bugbear in the Playground

Llaars

Following screams in a place so dark and echoey was next to impossible, but the patter of Antals feet drove him forward. Losing track of each other down here meant death, for both Llaars and his companions. Finally stopping brought him no relief, as he was now face to face with a raging sorcerer drenched in the stuff of nightmares. The last time he was in such a situation, a little girl nearly ripped his throat out. "All of that blood came from you?" He suddenly became aware of his surroundings and how far they had run.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

Paral-for presumably it is Paral, weakly reaches for Antal's hand, moving so slowly it seems he is moving through heavy syrup. "Yes. Charmed. Witch...she forgot to redo it. There was...agh...was a fight. I...I think I got stabbed, don't remember.... There was shouting, jars of this-this horrid stuff...living things...broke, fell in. In the water. All." Every other word out of his mouth seems to be accompanied by a gasp, a wince. As if speaking was hard, or painful. But he keeps explaining. "They move...I...aaa...speak...speak in rocks, in my head." He looks up balefully at you with half-lidded eyes. "Make them stop, Antal. Please."
    You are fading even now
    Shudders rack Paral's body, and he almost reflexively curls up. "Stop...stop her. Save her...didn't die...none of them. Trapped, behind eyes, in mind...life in hell..it'd be better. Bound...two souls, two minds...one life. No third chance...."
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2011-05-06 at 04:54 PM.

24. - Top - End - #294

Rana hesitates, biting her lip. When there is no response to her question, she cautiously, slowly begins to walk towards where she last heard her companions, ready to run at any moment.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Troll in the Playground

Listen Paral, don't worry about my questions, you're not making sense anyway. Just save your strength, I'm going to see what I can do to help. And as for you Mr. Mysterious Voice, you'll not be taking my friend anywhere.

Spoiler
    Show
    Heal to see to his wounds (Inspiration Point):(1d20+4)[24]
    Knowledge (Arcana) because I'm sure there's something magical about his current state (Inspiration Point): (1d20+7)[19]
    Show

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric comes running after Antal, then stops, taking in the scene. He opens and closes his mouth once, probably to whisper a prayer, but he seems to shocked to manage it. He snaps out of it when the sorcerer starts speaking. It probably was the pained sound of his voice that did the trick. He runs to Antal's side, crouching down to examine Paral. "Do you know what he needs? I can heal him, some." He doesn't touch Paral, yet, tho. He wants to be sure that healing him will help him instead of hurting him more.

Spoiler
    Show
    knowledge religion - (1d20+3)[4] to see if he has any idea about what the heck is going on (I do, but I don't know about him...)
    heal - (1d20+7)[25] to examine the wound in Paral's leg
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2011-05-06 at 06:47 PM.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ettin in the Playground

Paral looks up at the group and blinks slowly. "Need a gag... Earplugs, maybe...who're you?"

Antal, Audric
    Spoiler
    Show

The wound in Paral's leg is consistent with some sort of cutting weapon-not a long one. There's glass in it, which is a bit daunting, and a direct cut into a large artery, which seems to be mostly plugged with some blueish gray gunk. It's a miracle he isn't dead yet.

Antal
    Spoiler
    Show

Paral is stressed, the sparks alone are clear proof of that. The odd voice is consistent with some massively powerful telepath-there hasn't been someone like that for hundreds of years.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

He's... a friend. Audric, there's a piece of glass in his leg, think we can get it out?

Heal to assist Audric's heal to remove the glass: (1d20+1)[17]
    Show

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ettin in the Playground

The paladin nods, quickly taking off his gauntlets to work better "Why a gag? Stand still if you can, I'm going to try and help you. " He remembers the druid and raises his head to look around "Where's Rana? He needs another healer, and she's way better than me."

((heal - (1d20+7)[20] to tend to the wound in Paral's leg.

And do I dare? Yes I do. Lay on hands, if it still works for me. .))

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ettin in the Playground

Paral grins weakly even as Audric and Antal continue clearing glass shards and blue and black gunk out of the gash in his leg. "make 'im shut up...voices, speaking...please, listen, I-" When Audric lays on hands, Paral breaks off into a wordless scream, a scream that seems to be echoed by a chorus in your mind and bones. The light of his healing lashes back at both healer and patient, harming and healing. A paladin's powers are many things. Harmless has never been one of them.

Paral's eyes snap open, red glimmers overlaying his brown eyes, threatening to take them over. "Listen, please, they-the seven, didn't die, back now, again, can't die, no life to lose," he babbles, voice stronger than before despite the wounds looking bloody once more. "My body, my life, he wants it, won't shut up, can't tire, won't let go, won't let me go. I can't win, he doesn't have to..Antal, sorry, so sorry, I can't..." his eyes close once more, and his breaths slow.

Audric takes 4 damage.