Study hard.
    Be evil.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Wrong Guys IC II

Rana
    Spoiler
    Show

Some possessing spirits can only be driven away with dispels. Powerful druids and most other powerful spellcasters can dispel. You? Cannot. Given that the spirit requires some sort of life to feed on, they are likely to seek out another host at once. And given that many of them seem to have a twisted sense of vengeance, the host they are likely to choose is the caster performing the exorcism.

Some are stickier, and cannot be driven away. But death of the host will generally deal with them swiftly. Preferably, this would be done from range, so that the spirit cannot reach someone else swiftly enough to possess them.

Spirits, as a general rule, aren't supposed to exist.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Audric
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rana continues on to the boat and begins making up a nest of sorts for Paral.

Not looking at Audric, she speaks, "Possessing spirits feed on the life force of their host. Most can be dispelled to force them out, although I cannot do so -- yet. But when dispelled, they will seek another host nearby, often the one doing the dispelling. If dispelling is not feasible or does not work, killing the host is the only option. And best at a distance, so that the spirit cannot find a new host."

She turns and looks Audric in the eye, "Spirits are foul things and abominations against nature. They must be destroyed. He must be killed."
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ettin in the Playground

Rana

Spoiler
    Show
    Audric nods along with her explanation, confirming her words, until she mentions killing. "The spirit? I quite agree with you. But what about Paral?" He shuts his eyes for a moment, before continuing "You cannot drive it away, but I maybe could."

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

5. - Top - End - #335

Audric
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Didn't you -" she pauses, swallowing hard, "didn't you hear him? Begging us to kill him? Best to kill the both of them; end the pain.

"Besides, if you did try to force the spirit out, it would undoubtedly try to possess you. Trading one death for another.....please don't make me have to kill you. You're more important to m-to our cause than Paral is. We need you. Besides, we don't even know if Paral can survive his injuries. Best to make a clean end of it."
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ettin in the Playground

Rana
    Spoiler
    Show
    "He didn't know he had another choice, and you are an healer, I'm sure you could deal with his injuries quite effectively" Audric cuts off her objections, shaking his head.

"Besides, what do you think we paladins are trained for? Wait, don't answer me." he says, smiling slightly "My point is, I could not live with myself if I killed that lad in cold blood. Or if I allowed you or anyone else to. I have to at least try and help him."

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

7. - Top - End - #337

Audric
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rana turns to Audric angrily, "He's as good as dead now. Do you want to risk that thing," she practically spits the word, "possessing someone else because you're too weak to do what has to be done?"
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ettin in the Playground

Rana
    Spoiler
    Show
    "You can't know that he is beyond help. You can't be sure of it. As for me, I wouldn't risk anything of the sort. I'm quite sure you wouldn't be too weak to deal with me should anything go wrong.". Despite being obviously worn out, his expression is quite determined.

9. - Top - End - #339

Audric
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rana sighs deeply. "If you insist on this foolish notion, what do you propose? How are you going to defeat that thing?"
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Bugbear in the Playground

Llaars

He settles into a sitting position with a small chuckle. Heh. Good guy? Wasn't he talkin' about killin' all of us a minute ago?"

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ettin in the Playground

Rana
    Spoiler
    Show
    The paladin sighs, slowly getting up from where he slumped and busying himself in helping her preparing a comfortable place in the boat "There are two possibilities. The first one is that I try to deal with it myself. If that spirit was a dead thing before, well, I'd basically use Aldaran's blessing to command him to leave. I've...never done something like that before, but I could try, Aldaran willing.". To be honest, he is not exactly sure of what Aldaran would think of him channeling his blessing to help a sorcerer.

He closes his eyes briefly,and takes a deep breath before continuing. "The other option... There is a person in the Order I trust implicitly. He is...well, you could say he is the man who raised me, and he is older and certainly more powerful than me. If we brought him to Paral he'll..." He hesitates "Well, I'm not sure he'll be able to help, but he could at least advise us on what to do."

12. - Top - End - #342

Audric
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rana straightens up, slowly. "You really are an overly heroic idiot, aren't you?

"Let's examine all the reasons this is a bad idea:"
    she starts counting them off on her fingers, "One - we'll be killed by the order. Two - you'll likely be killed, too. Three - Paral, you know, the guy you're acting like an idiot to save, he's going to be killed, too. Four - this risks the spirit getting free in a populated area. Five - Did I mention that they'd kill us?"
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ettin in the Playground

Rana
    Spoiler
    Show
    Audric straightens up as well, looking her in the eyes "I probably am. You know what I should have done not to act like an idiot? Because I do know: they have trained me not to be an idiot." This is probably the first time Rana sees Audric using his height to give him an advantage in a conversation: he is standing very straigth, and his shoulders are tense "I should have killed that lad as soon as I saw him. He is just a sorcerer, after all. Oh, and a couple of days before, when I met an obviously half-elf druid in the sewers? I should have killed her too, without asking too many questions. Is this how you'd prefer me to act?".

He lets out a breath, realizing he is getting too angry and raising his voice, and continues in a more subdued tone "I'm not proposing to get Keon here. The paladin I'd sent for isn't going to kill you on sight. I don't know if he'll help us, but he surely won't betray us. Trust me on that."

14. - Top - End - #344

Audric
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rana hisses back, "Well, maybe you should have tried to kill me! Then at least we'd both know where we stand and there wouldn't be all this running around putting ourselves further in danger! Then I'd be back in the woods, where I belong instead of following you around like an idiot, putting my life in danger! If there's one thing I've learned in all my years, it's that I can't trust anyone to look out for me! You'd rather risk me and Antal and yourself -- and presumably Llaars, too, as he's been aiding us -- for one man you've never met, instead of recognizing when you're out of your depth and doing what it takes to survive."

She turns her back to him and says nothing for a moment, hugging herself, before continuing, voice tight, "You say that he won't betray us but you have no way to be sure of it. If you want to send Paral to the paladins and let them take care of it, I'm sure they can do so quite effectively, which might also get them to put pressure on the sorceress. That is a fine plan. Bringing a paladin here? To us? No."

She turns back to face him, "What happens if you've judged your friend wrong? What happens if he attacks us? If you bring him down here and he wants to kill me, who will you choose?"
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ettin in the Playground

Rana
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Rana, he is a sorcerer. If I dropped him off at the temple, they'd just kill him. I'm sorry, but that is not a feasible plan." He takes a couple of steps nearer, only to recoil slightly when she turns again "I promise that I won't let you come to harm. That's not an hard promise to make, you see." He smiles. That's just putting in words what he is already doing. "May I remind you who put himself in front of you when we met Keon and Aamir? They were paladins too, in case you didn't notice. But it won't come to that. I have not judged my friend wrong. I've known him since I was a child. " He makes a slight smile, remembering, then purses his lips "Or there is the option to let me deal with this alone. Those are really the only two alternatives we have."
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2011-05-12 at 01:31 AM. Reason: wrong verb

16. - Top - End - #346

Audric
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Of course they'd kill him as soon as they got their hands on him; that's the idea," she snaps.

"And don't think for an instant that I'm letting you do this alone; if you did you'd just release that thing, and I can't allow that. Damnit, why can't anyone but me be willing to do what has to be done! Alright, you'd better hope you know your friend, as I can tell there's no point in trying to argue you out of it and we need to get back before Antal or Llaars comes looking for us." She looks furious that she's agreeing to his plan.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ettin in the Playground

Rana
    Spoiler
    Show
    He shuts his eyes for a moment as if a weight had been lifted from his shoulders and nods, tersely. "Very well. Let's get back, then.". After the argument, he looks even more tired than before, if such a thing were possible. "I don't think it would be wise to say anything to Antal as long as he is still under the effect of that spell. And we still need to understand where we are, before sending for Kalan."

18. - Top - End - #348

Rana sighs, then puts the finishing touches on the bed in the boat and heads back to the others.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Bugbear in the Playground

Llaars

Llaars looks up from his uncomfortable conversation to greet the approaching pair. "Done with you little 'talk'? So where we headed now? Head downstream and drag Paral around with us while we hunt the witch, or fight the current and go back topside?"

20. - Top - End - #350
    Troll in the Playground

Look guys, I really don't care about the witch right now, I just want to get things worked out between my friends here. But I'll gladly help you hunt the witch after we work that out, as repayment for your dilligence in helping me save my friends. I still don't get why my friend attacked you guys though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ettin in the Playground

"A tragic misunderstanding, no doubt." Audric answers, deadpan. He sighs. As if everything else wasn't enough, there is also a charmed ally to think about. He just hopes the spell wears off soon.

"We arranged for a comfortable place in the boat. And at this point, I think it would be better to follow the river downstream instead of going back. The air is getting brighter, with a little luck we are almost out of the sewers." He bites his lip, before proposing: "Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to make a sort of camp near the boat, rest for a few hours." Recover their strenght a bit, and wait a while in case Antal returns back to normal...or whatever passes for normal in the halfling's case.

22. - Top - End - #352

Rana had come back to the group looking rather annoyed. She looks happier at the prospect of camping outside of the city, but says nothing.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ettin in the Playground

Since you all seem to be set, more or less, you load into the boat once more. Given that there is another hundred-some pounds of lanky sorcerer out cold in the back of the boat in addition to the large wolf, you are all sitting a little closer to the front than before.

Carefully, you manuever around the rocks, and around the bend. The achingly slow pace of the water becomes very, very, clear when you first sight a way out of here. There is a calm inlet, and another place to dock the boat. Little round pebbles, worn smooth by water, create a natural shore here, wet rocks glistening in the light. The tiny waves the current creates laps at the shore, sending in mud and algae vefore sweeping it back out. From the time you see it to the time it takes to dock there is nearly half an hour.

Twenty feet or so above the serene shore, there is a large opening, perhaps ten feet wide and not much smaller across, through which the sun shines brightly. There is a lift, presumably for heavy things. But it might be able to lift a large wolf. Or an unconscious sorcerer. Next to it, there are handholds and footholds marring the otherwise fairly smooth (if wet) wall-a ladder of sorts, carved into stone instead of built from wood.

The rope and pulley system could charitably be called crude-the rope seems to be soaked, stiff, and fraying in places, the pulley is uneven and a bit rusted, and the lift 'platform' is more like four sticks lashed together with a 'cloth' of some sort stretched between them, balanced very precariously. At best. Cloth, too, is a charitable interpretation of the mess of patches- worn canvas, stained hide, faded linen, half a shoelace or so, fraying sacking, possibly-used bandages, bits of knitting, silk scraps, and wide supple leaves, all stitched together with...you really aren't sure if you want to know... into a messy squareish thing.

It feels like it should be night, or at least sunset. The brightness of the sunlight, and is that birdsong-is cheery, almost unnaturally so. After a day tracking a mage who has proved her homicidal tendecies quite thoroughly through layers of the sewers marked with holes that probably shouldn't be there, infested by people who don't seem to know why they are here, creatures that no one seems to know anything about, and spirits that shouldn't be alive, let alone in the sewers, only to find a sorcerer [the wrong sorcerer, and yet the right one] that the wolf couldn't smell babbling nonsense that no one could really interpret the world feels...different. More foreboding, perhaps. Like it is holding its breath, and waiting.

Paral himself barely breathes, and is almost completely silent. No moans, no babbling, no flashes of arcane magic, nothing to signify that he is anything other than an unconscious teenage boy. That too is unnerving-makes it seem like there are four when there are five (six?), sometimes even makes it seem like what you're lugging around is a corpse, a lost cause, not...well, were any of you sure what he was to begin with?
    Going into the sewers only yesterday (and yesterday by now seems an eternity away) may not have been the wisest decision you made. But it has certainly impacted your lives, and the lives of others, perhaps many others. You cannot tell.

And isn't that the real danger in this?

24. - Top - End - #354

Rana eyes the sunlight distrustfully. "Just how long were we down here, anyway?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (nature) (1d20+11)[12], Survival (1d20+13)[14] to see if she notices anything amiss about the sunlight and bird song. It's probably just paranoia, but I'm sure going to check on it!

Edit: .....two ones in a row?
    Last edited by Savannah; 2011-05-17 at 12:41 AM.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ettin in the Playground

Huh. I thought the dice roller only hated Audric and Antal.

Rana
    Spoiler
    Show

The birdsong sounds normal, and the sunlight feels natural.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ettin in the Playground

"I'm not sure." Audric helps bringing the boat to shore, before getting off and looking around.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot an listen, just because spot - (1d20+3)[14] listen - (1d20+3)[20]. But mainly, detect magic. Yes, I am paranoid as well, very much, but I figure that's the first thing he is been trained to do in any unfamiliar situation.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric
    Spoiler
    Show

Detect magic reveals the faintest traces of magic, too faded to identify as any specific sort. Indeed, it is so faded it registers only as the faintest tension in the air. No colors, no sounds, no strange sensations.

Everything else looks normal. There are no strange marks in the wall, no strange sounds (the birdsong sounds fairly normal), no signs of life here other than you five. Or six, if you count the thing in Paral's head.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric concentrates for a second, scanning his surrounds warily, before addressing the others "It seems we are alone" he says "And there are no strong signs of magic around: what traces there are are so faded I almost can't pick them up." He glances at the handholds in the wall "I suppose we should go see what's up there."

Spoiler
    Show
    Ajadea: how safe does climbing that thing seems?
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2011-05-17 at 04:44 PM.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric
    Spoiler
    Show

Safe enough. The holds are indented slightly, like shallow bowls, making it very easy to grip. They are wide and deep enough for you to get a foot in, and between each large hole, there are smaller holes suitable (though not ideal) for a halfling's hands.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: oh, well, if it's safe enough...

"Very well. Wait here, I'll go check what is up there, and then we'll think about bringing Shadow and Paral up with that thing." Assuming it is able to hold their weight he thinks, dubiously. He takes a last look at his surroundings, before taking a deep breath and attempting the climb.