New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Wrong Guys IC II

Wait! Antal says, Shouldn't the lighter people go first? You know, in case it breaks under the weight?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

2. - Top - End - #362
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

"He has a point," Rana agrees, as she looks up at the hand- and footholds.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ettin in the Playground

"The ladder seems safe enough. I'm more worried about the lift" he says, pointing at the messy collection of cloth and rope "But one thing at a time. Let's see what's up there, first."

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ettin in the Playground

The ladder carved into the wall doesn't seem to be trapped or fragile enough to break under the weight of anything smaller than a very large bull. Or big angry bear, depending on your cultural points of reference. Audric makes it up to the window with ease despite the fact the ladder seems to be the tiniest bit slanted inwards, towards the lake.

Audric
    Spoiler
    Show

Outside, you see more pebbles, and the closer bank is covered with grass. You're still pretty deep underground-the hole which is twenty feet up inside the cave is a few inches below the surrounding dirt outside, and well hidden by an overabundance of tall, prickly, grasses. The sun glints off of the river, and you can see tiny bits of things bobbing in it through the grass stalks. Fishing boats as well, if you are seeing straight and not crazy-two things which seem to be highly uncertain given recent events. The far bank is actually rather difficult to see, but if you are not mistaken, you are still very close to Attalin-you can see it, sorta, on the horizon. Meaning you are on the Iraness.

More specifically, on the wrong bank of the Iraness, a couple miles downstream of Attalin.

You're quite sure there are ferries-after all, they do occasionally manage to send a rider out to Brightblade. And he's even responded via rider. Once or twice. You think.

Uncertainties about the status of the northeastern hills notwithstanding, if there are ferries that can carry horses across the river, there are probably ferries that can carry people as well.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric lets out a breath he had unconsciously been holding "It's safe enough" he says "And I think I know where we are. We are no longer in Attalin, but not far, either." He looks down at the crude lift "We have to get Paral and Shadow up here, then it will be easy for you to climb." he says, getting into position to help unload the lift as soon as it is brought up.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

6. - Top - End - #366

"Alright. Maybe- Llaars, why don't you go up, too, to help Audric pull up the lift? Then Antal and I can get Paral into it, and once he's up, I'll see if I can't convince Shadow to get in it, then Antal and I will come up last."
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Bugbear in the Playground

Llaars

Without word or hesitation, Llaars pulls himself up the ladder to join the paladin. "Well are we still on a witch hunt? I'm thinkin' a break sounds pretty good about now."

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ettin in the Playground

Llaars
    Spoiler
    Show

Outside, you see more pebbles, and the closer bank is covered with grass. You were pretty deep underground-the hole which is twenty feet up inside the cave is at the bottom of a shallow indent in the dirt, about half a foot deep, and well hidden by an overabundance of tall, prickly, grasses. The sun glints off of the river, and you can see tiny bits of things bobbing in it through the grass stalks. Fishing boats as well, if you are seeing straight and not crazy-two things which seem to be highly uncertain given recent events. The far bank is actually rather difficult to see, but if you and Audric are not mistaken, you are still very close to Attalin-you can see it, sorta, on the horizon. You are on the wrong side of the river, admittedly, but there are probably ferries somewhere nearby.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric nods at Llaars' words. They all do need a reprieve: he himself feels as he is standing on his feet just by sheer stubborness, and he still hasn't had a way to look at Paral's wounds to see if he can help him with mundane means "I think the witch hunt is on hold at the moment, though she still has to be dealt with" he says "But for now? This has turned into a rescue mission." He motions at the the young sorcerer's unconscious form, to make his point clear. "Bring him up, we'll be ready to take him" he calls out to the others.

10. - Top - End - #370

"Alright, give me a hand, Antal."

Rana carefully lifts Paral's body with Antal's help and settles him on the lift.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ettin in the Playground

While Paral is about a foot and a half taller than Rana, the combined effort of her and Antal allows them to load Paral onto the lift. He doesn't move a muscle, breathing shallowly and quietly. The lift swings and lists to one side as Llaars and Audric pull Paral up, but he might as well be a sack of grain for all the reaction he has. Unloading him nearly turns the entire lift upside down, but you manage well enough.

But there's still a wolf down there, and wolves aren't known for remaining quite as still as sacks of grain or unconscious teenagers.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric settles the boy on the ground beside him, trying not to jostle him too much to avoid worsening any of his wounds, before lowering the lift again. "You can bring the wolf up, now." he says. If the wolf is of the same idea.

13. - Top - End - #373

Rana pulls out her jerky and starts coaxing Shadow onto the lift.

Handle Animal (1d20+15)[28]

If he seems to be steady on the lift, she'll climb up the ladder at the same rate he's being pulled up, so that she can keep talking to him. If he's not steady, she'll try to settle him down again (i.e. reroll).
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ettin in the Playground

Shadow isn't quite steady, but that seems to be more related to the shoddy construction of the lift than any issues with his training. He whines and growls, but you do get the tense wolf up the lift, through the hole, and keep him from running off into the sunlight.

Antal can easily climb up behind Rana, and now you can all see the scene.

There are more pebbles, and the closer bank is covered with grass. You were pretty deep underground-the hole which is twenty feet up inside the cave is at the bottom of a shallow indent in the dirt, about half a foot deep, and well hidden by an overabundance of tall, prickly, grasses. The sun glints off of the river, and you can see tiny bits of things bobbing in it through the grass stalks. Fishing boats as well, if you are seeing straight. If you are not mistaken, you are still very close to the capital-you can see it on the horizon. You are on the wrong side of the river, admittedly, but there are ways to deal with that.

15. - Top - End - #375

Rana takes a deep breath and smiles, looking around her. This is the first time she has truly relaxed since she entered the city, and it's surprising how tense she'd been.

Spot (1d20+11)[23], Listen (1d20+11)[27] just in case.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Troll in the Playground

Where to now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ettin in the Playground

"Now? Now we find a safe place to camp and catch our breath for a while, I think." he answers "We can discuss things after we have seen to Paral's wounds and rested a bit." A pause "If everyone is in agreement."

And with a tiny bit of luck, that charm spell would have worn off by then. he adds to himself Please, Aldaran, let it be a short term thing..

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ettin in the Playground

You reach a consensus, and decide to camp on this bank of the river for the night. The absolute safest place to camp is probably back down in the cavern, on the pebbly bank. At least, if you don't mind risking that blotch of bubbling magic water or yet another crazy small person like Kerj or Yilminri showing up. Under the open stars is also an option-a few minutes of scouting around reveals a little dip about ten to fifteen minutes away from the river. It might also serve. Over there, there might be less chance of being awakened by strange small creatures. The risk of guards, peasants, or stray paladins is far higher however, and stray paladins are almost certainly a far greater threat to Paral, Rana, and Antal than insane subterranean people.

19. - Top - End - #379

Rana looks around. "I'll go find us someplace safe to camp."

If you want a roll, Survival (1d20+13)[26]. She'll look for a secluded spot that's unlikely to be the home of a dangerous animal.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ettin in the Playground

Rana
    Spoiler
    Show
    The aforementioned dip in the hills is nice, devoid of wild animals, and not filled with spiny grasses. It is, however, under a mile away from a road that shows signs of regular travel.

There is always the alternative of crawling back down to the pebbled underground beach and spending the night there.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ettin in the Playground

"It should be safe enough, we are still far from the border, and that is the most dangerous region." Audric declares, gesturing north-east, where the border should be. He frowns, then "Though...well...we may expect to encounter some of my brethren. This area is heavily covered, being so near to the city, and Brightblade's keep is only five days away. We should be careful all the same."

22. - Top - End - #382

"This, at least, is a fairly decent spot to camp. My only concern is that it's so close to the road. I'd almost rather go back down to the riverbank down there. But I have no idea what we might come across there, and I have a feeling it would be much worse than anything up here."
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ettin in the Playground

The paladin nods in agreement “Yes. Plus, it would mean bringing Paral and Shadow down with that lift again. I’m not sure it will hold a second time”. He draws a breath, almost an half-sigh, and adds, addressing both Rana and Antal “Should we encounter a patrol, you both keep behind me and try not to draw too much attention on yourself. I’m talking to you especially, Antal. No reckless acts.” he says, sternly, then he bends down to pick up the sorcerer, very gently and carefully. He is tired and aching all over, but the lad seems light enough for him to carry for the short distance it takes to get to the camping spot “Alright then, let’s go.

24. - Top - End - #384

Llaars

Llaars moves forward to help the weary paladin with his burden. As they move toward their camping area, his expression sours and his hand finds it's way to his stomach. "I don't know about everyone else, but I can't remember the last time I slept outside... or ate. I'm so hungry I could wrestle a deer with my bare hands." He runs his free hand through his blood, sweat, and muck encrusted hair as he speaks and gazes toward the river. "Think it's safe to visit the bank of the river for a bit?"

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric smiles very slighly, the corners of his mouth lifing upwards just a bit "I've got a couple of rations I'll be happy to share" he says. Unfortunately he just brought what would be sufficient for one person, and not for a long travel at that- just a couple of days at the most It was supposed to be a simple patrol when I packed. Then it become...this.

"As for the river" he shrugs as far as the weight he is holding allows him, which is to say, not much. "It should be safe unless whatever was in the water decides to show up in this place. Just make sure you aren't far enough that we don't hear each other in case of troubles." A sigh "I need a bath, myself."

26. - Top - End - #386

"Yes, I think we could all use a bath." Shadow's ears go back as he steps quickly out of Rana's reach.

"And as for rations, I can hunt and forage, if necessary."
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ettin in the Playground

The dip in the hills is quite thankfully devoid of sharp rocks and spiny grasses, though it seems to be equally devoid of anything that could be considered soft, unless you count thin layers of dry dirt. The rolling hills and the tall yellowish grass combine to shield it fairly effectively from the view of travelers along the road. Anyone who looked would find you, but you do not have to give them a reason to look. Unfortunately, attempting to avoid detection involves a prominent lack of a fire, and though it is spring, the night still tends to be cold.
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2011-05-29 at 08:37 PM. Reason: typo. bleh.

28. - Top - End - #388

Llaars

Satisfied with the response, Llaars wonders off toward the bank of the river.

The following text is invalid if Ajadea makes a river kraken eat me...
    Spoiler
    Show
    He drinks his fill before dunking his head in letting the grime drift away. Perhaps ten minutes later he reappears through the brush with his shirt slung over his shoulder and a slight grin on his face. As he approaches his two tribal sun shoulder tattoos become apparent in stark contrast to his freshly washed skin. "Waters fine and looks like nobody's around so feel free to take your turn."

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ettin in the Playground

While Llaars is busy on the riverbank, Audric takes out his bedroll, easing Paral on it and trying to arrange it so that he is as comfortable as possible. The young sorcerer is already wounded, bound and gagged. Plus, he has a possessing spirit in his head. For how Audric sees it, he doesn’t need a night outside in the cold on top of it.

While he is moving him, he takes the opportunity to give a look at his wounds and see If there is something he can do to, if not make them better, at least avoid worsening them heal - (1d20+7)[8].

He takes off his armor and takes his turn on the riverbank as well, inwardly cursing his lack of foresight when packing You thought about a bedroll, but you didn’t think, oh, say, spare clothes would be useful, did you, you fool?.
    When he goes back to the others, his hair and clothes are dripping wet. He has taken his time to wash off as much as the disgusting slime as possible. “Well, I do feel like a human being again.” he says, and smiles. “Barely.

30. - Top - End - #390

"I'm not sure that it would be such a good idea for me to go down there..." Rana sighs, looking at the boats on the river warily.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.