New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Wrong Guys IC II

"Do you want me to come with you and stand guard?" the paladin offers "Worse come to worse, they will assume you are my prisoner."

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

2. - Top - End - #392
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

"That would work, thanks. And I'll try to be fast, just in case."

After a brief chase and large amounts of venison jerky, Rana gets a hold of Shadow and drags the poor wolf to his third bath in just a few days. As soon as she's done with him, she hurriedly bathes herself and heads back to the camp.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric and Rana return from the river with Shadow in tow. The large black wolf looks extremely wet and emotionally hurt, probably because he's been forced into his third bath in two days.

Paral is beginning to breathe more deeply, which might be a good thing or a bad thing. Otherwise, he is as still as the dead.

Night falls, eventually. In the light of the waning gibbous moon, the river shines like a ribbon of silver to the west. Attalin stands beside it, the temple to Aldaran tall and proud among the urban sprawl. It glows with pinpricks of orange torchlight in the darkness.

But torchlight miles away does nothing to ease the slightly damp cold over here between the hills, and the hard ground looks even less inviting, if that is possible.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ettin in the Playground

Having made an half-hearted attempt to clean it, Audric piles his armor so that it is out of the others’ way, then sits down near Paral with a sigh. He checks again on the boy, making sure he is comfortable and there are no major changes in his status, then tries to find a suitable position on the ground. He doesn’t seem to have much luck on this endeavor. He sighs again, then addresses the others “I suppose it might be a good idea to arrange for some shifts to keep watch. I can take the first one, if you agree. Antal, I’d prefer you to sleep through the night: I can wake up Llaars after a while, and keep Rana for last. Tomorrow morning”... is going to be a bad day. I am almost certain of it his mind supplies on its own. He hopes the thought hasn't shown plainly on his face. "...tomorrow morning we can discuss more in-depth what we plan to do."
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2011-06-05 at 02:50 AM.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

5. - Top - End - #395
    Bugbear in the Playground

Llaars

The big man, weary from all of the fighting and rowing, laid hid head upon his piled up armor and tried to get to sleep without visibly shivering. At least we're outta that cave...

6. - Top - End - #396
    Troll in the Playground

Um... okay, Antal honestly doesn't know how to respond, he doesn't see the logic, but also doesn't see a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric
    Spoiler
    Show

The boy flinches every so slightly from your touch. You wouldn't have noticed it if checking on him didn't require using your hands as well as your eyes to examine his wounds. Otherwise, nothing of note. His wounds look about as good as you'd expect given that you tried to heal him with paladin powers and he is possessed by an evil spirit.

Detect magic reveals something that is sinister at best.

Strong arcane, sweeter than honey, colder than ice, sharper than dwarven steel. Waves of blood-red magic caress your skin, whisper calming mantras and words of what could be. Promises of friendship, of status, of new beginnings, all for the simple price of a step in the wrong direction. A step away from Aldaran.

Behind this, through this, flickering faint magic. Arcane again. It is there, then it is gone, flashes of warmth and faith and orange light within the icy promises of the red magic.

8. - Top - End - #398

Rana nods agreement to Audric's plan. "Shall I go see what I can find to eat?"
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric flinches, quickly moving his hands away from the boy and the magic that comes with it “Do not even think about it, you monstrosity” he whispers, half to himself and half to the entity possessing Paral. He doesn’t know if the spirit can hear him, but just saying it makes him feel better. "I am going to see you destroyed, make no mistake about it.

He is distracted by Rana speaking “If you want to, but please, try not to wander too far.” he answers “I’d like to be able to intervene quickly in case of troubles.
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2011-06-05 at 03:05 PM.

10. - Top - End - #400

Rana smirks slightly. "This is my home, even if it is close to the city. I'll be fine."

Survival (1d20+13)[30] to forage/hunt for food.

Edit: Note: Given the lack of fire, the foraging is for the humanoids' sakes, and the hunting is for Shadow.
    Last edited by Savannah; 2011-06-05 at 03:13 PM.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Ettin in the Playground

Early spring is not the best time to find food of any sort. Even so, Rana manages to find a decent amount of hopniss in the dirt, watercress by the river, a rather skinny coney for Shadow, and a handful of scallions. Altogether, as the rest of you soon find, the food amounts to little more than raw potato and a rather sorry salad. But it's easily enough to feed you all even without rations.

12. - Top - End - #402

"Best I could do, sorry."
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ettin in the Playground

The paladin smiles. Food is food, no matter the specifics. "No need to apologize, it's a lot better than I could do in the same circumstances. Uhm...I don't think I've ever eaten this" he says, pointing to the watercress and taking a cautious taste "But it's not half bad."

After eating, he finds a more or less confortable position from which he can keep an eye both on Paral and the surrounding area and settles down for the first part of the night.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ajadea, feel free to roll for me if I need spot/listen (I don't know how many rolls it's appropriate to make for a turn of watch). Also, he'll be periodically detecting magic on the surroundings.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ettin in the Playground

Make one set of Spot+Listen rolls for each hour you are staying up.

Also, please note that none of you except Antal will be regaining HP tonight unless you can somehow scrape together 8 hours of rest.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, I was planning three hours, so as to stay in camp for nine hours in total, so if the other agree...

spot - (1d20+3)[21] listen - (1d20+3)[11]
    spot - (1d20+3)[21] listen - (1d20+3)[7]
    spot - (1d20+3)[13] listen - (1d20+3)[6]

I'm not sure if and how we could manage the eight hour of rest, being there are only three of us...suggestions?

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ettin in the Playground

I suppose Audric was falling asleep already in the last hour, comparing those rolls.

Hour 1
    Spoiler
    Show

The lights of the fishing boats drift to shore and go out one by one, as the fishermen turn in for the night. The breathing of your compatriots and the quiet, rhythmic, thumps of Shadow's tail against the ground are the only sounds you can hear. The wind blows in from the southwest, cold and slightly fishy.

In the starlight, it seems you can see the edge of every blade of grass, rising and falling in the night breeze. But there are no other people here, paladins or otherwise.

Detecting magic around yourself reveals nothing you wouldn't have expected. Rana's magic feels like raw nature. The resilience of ancient oaks, strength and power flashing like the teeth of an animal you can barely identify as a bear, swiftness of rushing rivers, the pale light of the moon. There is something fundamentally wild about the power, but it is not uncontrolled and malicious like arcana.

The thing possessing Paral reaches out once more with offers of friendship and now power. I can make things right. Bring back all you have lost, it whispers, every word a slip of softest velvet, a sip of sweet spiced wine. The almost panicked flashes of fire-orange warmth highlight the twisted powers within the words-a shard of glass within the velvet, deadly poison lacing the wine.

You keep your eyes well away from your pack, but even so, the overbright, shrieking, screaming colors manage to nearly blind and deafen you for a moment.

Hour 2
    Spoiler
    Show

The night is still and quiet. No more fishermen, no more threats you can see. Shadow's tail no longer thuds behind you-the great wolf, too, is sound asleep.

Nothing changes magically either. Forget those murderers, those who slay children in the name of their god. You'll never have to do that. Come. Be free, the thing possessign Paral whispers. Apparently, it does not tire.

Hour 3
    Spoiler
    Show

Once more, there is nothing. No threat you can see. No change in the magic for good or ill. Perhaps your fears were unfounded. Perhaps you can rest without worry.

Paral lets out a soft groan, but otherwise does not stir.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric sits still and quiet, doing his best to ignore the words in his mind. There is no purpose in answering the spirit, and giving him attention may just mean giving him weapons. Just the second time he answers, too angry to keep ignoring him: “No, maybe not murdering children. Just possessing helpless boys, forcing them to do your will. I may be a fool, but not that much of a fool. Shut up, now. In Aldaran’s name.” He doesn’t know if it worked or if he has simply became too tired to keep his mind clear enough to hear the whispers of magic, but the rest of his shift passes in blissful silence. He is aware he should at least give some thought to what he’s doing and the path he is more or less willingly taking, but his mind balks at the prospect. I’m tired. I’m not thinking clearly. Perhaps after a bit of sleep things will make more sense.

He wakes up Llaars at the end of his shift with a warning “Apparently that thing in Paral’s head can speak directly to other minds. I do not know if I can hear it because I’m a paladin, but just in case, ignore everything it says. It is trying to mess with our heads”. He claps the big man on the shoulder “Have a good night”. He too tries to put his head on the pile made by his armor, and to get some sleep as best as he can

18. - Top - End - #408

Llaars

A groan and a glare accompany the interruption of Llaars' peaceful slumber. After a moment he manages to sit up and brush the dust from his back."S'alright... I ain't afraid to beat him down again if he starts talkin' funny. Get some sleep." With Audric sleeping, Llaars needed something to occupy his mind, so he walks to the edge of the clearing and grabs a fistful of reeds and sits back down in his previous spot.

Facing the twitching Paral, Llaars watches him dutifully while he absentmindedly twists the reeds together in random patterns. "I hope this paladin knows what he's doing..."
    Last edited by Nanoblack; 2011-06-06 at 05:06 PM.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ettin in the Playground

Hour 1
    Spoiler
    Show

In the darkness, you can barely see a thing. Crickets chirp in the night, and the grass rustles in the wind. The reeds crunch and squeak between your fingers as you twist and knot them into strange lumps. The even breathing of your companions is a quiet background noise, barely noticable but still reassuring. Paral seems to stir a couple times, but always drops straight back into sleep.

Hour 2
    Spoiler
    Show

The clouds drift away and by starlight, the river seems to be once more a ribbon of silver, with Attalin standing beside it. Most of the torchlight in town has gone out now, leaving the temple alone with its pinpoints of lantern light.

Paral's expression is calmer. You aren't sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

Hour 3
    Spoiler
    Show

Perhaps it is paranoia, but your hearing is uncannily acute in the last hour of your watch. The bats are out now, rushing through the sky in swarms too dark to see. Dirt grinds under your feet, grass rustles in the slightly-fishy southwest wind.

And Paral is almost definitely awake. But neither he nor the thing within him seems much interested in bothering you.

20. - Top - End - #410

Llaars

Noticing Parals wakefulness, Llaars tenses up, ready to pounce should the situation warrant it. If he was going to lay there and stay quiet, then it wouldn't be worth waking the others, but that thought didn't comfort Llaars at all. His focus was to watch for any signs of the sorcerer's waking, leading to a stressful remainder of his shift.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ettin in the Playground

So, um...Rana's turn on shift, then.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ettin in the Playground

Hour 1
    Spoiler
    Show

The last crickets cease their song as you take watch. Your senses, always keen, can catch the faint movements of nocturnal animals, winding their ways home. Each star stands out in the sky, every slight change in the fishy southwest wind can be felt on your bare skin. The grass rustles and whispers in the night. For the first time since coming to this city, you could be at peace. You are home in the wild. Antal looks untroubled, his breaths deep and even, expression mostly untroubled. The others not so much. Shadow seems blissfully oblivious to all around him, lost in dreams of the hunt from what you can feel through your link.

And Paral is awake, and the thing within it as well. It watches you in silence, sizing you up and waiting.

Hour 2
    Spoiler
    Show

The sky has begun to lighten now, slowly but surely. Dewdrops are forming on the grass, and on Shadow's fur. The wind ceases, and the clouds remain away. The stars fade, but you can still pick them out if you try. Dawn is here, and with it a new day.

Hour 3 (Time to awaken! Please wait to post (Savannah excepted) Thank you for your patience.
    Spoiler
    Show

Dawn comes now in earnest. Shadow awakens and bounds up next to you. Paral (or the thing within him at the least) has returned to gazing silently at the now pinkish sky. The milling cityfolk below awaken and light fires against a cold you have learned to ignore, send out fishing boats and tend to their farming animals. They shovel manure over their barren fields and whip their oxen to force them through their own waste, dragging plows behind them. The human and dwarven farmers seem so ignorant some times.

The day animals-small rodents and soaring birds have awakened now as well. The world never really rests-that is a foolish self-centered cityfolk idea. One set of animals has left for the day, and another has taken its place. That is all.

Antal
    Spoiler
    Show

You are no longer charmed!
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2011-06-07 at 02:28 PM.

23. - Top - End - #413

Rana shivers slightly as she takes Llaars' place. "Seen anything?" she murmers.

Re hour 1
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rana raises one eyebrow as she meets Paral/thing's gaze. After she's sure Llaars is asleep, she says softly "Need something, monster?"

Ajadea
    Spoiler
    Show
    Back when you said that, if you were killing a spirit's host to drive it out, it was best to do it far away from you so that the spirit didn't possess you, how far away were we talking?
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ettin in the Playground

Back in Hour 1
    Spoiler
    Show

The thing possessing Paral glances down at his gag, then nods.

25. - Top - End - #415

Spoiler
    Show
    Rana smirks slightly, "No. Just how stupid do you think I am?"
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ettin in the Playground

Hour 1
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatically, it shakes its head 'no'.

27. - Top - End - #417

Spoiler
    Show
    "You're a caster, I'm a caster. We both know what happens when casters can speak. The gag doesn't come off and neither do the bindings. Now, unless there's anything else, go to sleep, monster."
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ettin in the Playground

Hour 1
    Spoiler
    Show

Paral (or at least the thing possessing him) shrugs awkwardly and closes its eyes.

Okay, now, you can post.

Paral hasn't gone anywhere, but he does seem to be awake, staring up at the pinkish sky with an expression that resembles pure, unadulterated, awe.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Troll in the Playground

Antal stretches as he wakes, before swearing in halfling, Audric, tell me I was drunk last night, tell me I didn't defend that... that... thing, he says "thing" as if it were the vilest most horrendous word in the world, possessing Paral while sober.
    Last edited by Jallorn; 2011-06-07 at 04:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

30. - Top - End - #420

"Nope, you were sober," Rana says cheerfully. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go ...meditate."
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.