New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Wrong Guys IC II

Audric awakens and sits up slowly, rubbing his neck to try to ease the kinks in it. Sleeping on the hard ground with his head on a metal plate hasn’t certainly helped with his physical state: he is still aching all over. Well, at least he didn’t dream. Not that he can remember, at least. He is forced away from his thoughts by Antal's voice, and Rana's answer “You weren't drunk, but you weren't yourself either.” he clarifies, inwardly sighing with relief. Antal being charmed is one trouble that has solved itself, it seems. "That thing inside Paral cast a spell on you. You do not have to worry, there was no harm done." He hesitates. There is something he has to do. "I... I need just a few minutes. I will be right back” he says, getting up. He takes some steps away from his companions and turns east towards the rising sun.

He takes out his sword and leans on it, bowing towards the sun with one knee on the ground. “I arise today, through the strength of the Sun; I summon today all His powers between me and these evils: against every cruel and merciless power that may oppose my body and my soul; against incantations of false prophets; against black laws of heathenry, false laws of heretics; against spells of witches, sorcerers and warlocks; against every knowledge that endangers man's body and soul..” he recites, quietly and under his breath. Those are the traditional words with which a paladin is supposed to start his day, and the prayer is somehow comforting in its familiarity. He bows his head, finishing the prayer with a thought of his own “Please, help me do the right thing. Help me know what the right thing is. I know there is mercy together with your justice. Help me know when to put one or the other to use.

He is silent for a couple of seconds more, just enjoying the light of the morning sun, then gets up and back to the others. He approaches Paral again, to check that he hasn't somehow weakened his restraints during the night.

Spoiler
    Show

((Yeah, shamelessly stolen and adapted from The Lorica. I'm awfully sorry for the mangling, medieval tradition, (and the wall of text, too) but it fit too well not to use it.

And, taking advantage of the prayer to replenish my spell(s), I added one cure light wound to the spell list ))
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2011-06-07 at 06:04 PM. Reason: corrected some grammar issues

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

2. - Top - End - #422
    Bugbear in the Playground

Llaars

The big man doesn't so much "wake up" as he opens one eye to see who all is stirring."Anybody know which way we're headin' from here?"

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ettin in the Playground

Paral seems to have been chewing on the gag a bit, but otherwise the bindings seem fine. The mixture of herbs he must have inadvertentely consumed could be the cause of his slack expression and the awestruck look he is giving the sunrise. He twitches when you check the bindings, but otherwise seems to be ignoring you entirely.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ettin in the Playground

"What in Aldaran's name was there on that gag?" Audric mutters to himself, then shakes his head. If it helps keeping the sorcerer subdued and isn't doing more harm than that, it may be just what they need. ((OOC: heal check, just in case [roll0]))

"From here? We discussed it with Rana, yesterday." he answers "I'm sorry to have kept you out of that, but Antal, you weren't reliable, and I needed Llaars to keep an eye on you". He gestures for them to come near briefly relies the content of his argument with the druid, trying to keep his voice low so that the sorcerer doesn't hear "Paral is possessed, I think we all saw that. Now, I could try to draw the spirit out, but it is dangerous. It could not work at all, or ir could work, but the spirit could try and possess me. I need some help for this.". He takes a breath, preparing for some objections from Antal's part "I have a friend at the temple which I trust implicitly. I meant to ask for his help, or at least his advice. We need to bring Paral back to the city."

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

5. - Top - End - #425
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Rana crosses her arms. "Or we could do the sensible thing that doesn't involve any of us dying on a paladin's sword. The best way to get rid of a possessing spirit without using powerful magic is to kill the host -- from a distance so that the spirit can't possess you. And before you say it," she looks at Antal, "it's not like he has a much greater chance of living after we give him to a paladin. Neither do you and I."
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Troll in the Playground

I... Yeah, no, I get it, Antal says when Audric explains himself. Upon hearing Audric's plan, he hems and haws for a moment, before saying I think... we could... maybe... ok. I've trusted you this far, and I don't have anyone else to turn to on this, I can trust you a little further.

Rana's opinion produces a vastly different response, however. His face instantly twisting into a mask of anger, he turns on her and growls, If you ever. Suggest anything. Like that. Again... but he leaves his threat unfinished, turning to Audric and saying, She doesn't go near Paral anymore.

Spoiler
    Show
    A little out of traditional character for Antal, but like everyone else, he's out of his element here, and she did just suggest they kill his best friend.
    Last edited by Jallorn; 2011-06-08 at 12:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric puts an hand on Antal's shoulder to calm him "That may be a bit difficult, Antal. We need to rely on each other if we hope to get through this mess." He then sighs and turns to Rana "I won't repeat what I said yesterday. Why won't you believe me when I say Kalan won't betray us? You have trusted me when you knew very little about me, why is it so hard to believe that another paladin may be trustful?"

Spoiler
    Show
    (("You were another PC, he is an NPC and the DM is evil" doesn't count as a valid answer ))
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2011-06-08 at 01:16 AM.

8. - Top - End - #428

"That body is not your friend anymore, Antal." Turning to Audric, "Because you did not act as most paladins do. I do not know this paladin, and the odds of finding more than one who are reasonable is very low."

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes it does!
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Troll in the Playground

If that is truly what you think, then you clearly have never had, and will never have, friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

10. - Top - End - #430

Rana hisses and her fists clench as she steps right in front of Antal. She may not be tall, but she still has enough height to bend over him threateningly. "Do not ever presume to know me. You have no idea what I've loved and lost," she says, her voice barely over a whisper.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

11. - Top - End - #431

Llaars

A pair if meaty hands force their way between Rana and Antal. "Hey, hey, HEY! You two need to quit hissing at each other like stray cats." He lowers his arms once he has their attention. "Rana ain't the only one who thinks droppin' him in the river is the smart thing to do! This thing in Paral gets loose, it'll put everything we care about in danger. You got no right to tell us your friend is more important than our families! But you're lucky Audric is here. I'll go along with church-boy, but if something goes wrong... I'm gonna hold you responsible." He takes a second to catch his breath before gathering his things for the journey.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric shakes is head "If anything, the responsability would be mine." he says. "But I have no intention of getting him in the city, that would be far too dangerous. We just need to get close enough to the city that someone could get to the temple and fetch Kalan. Which means, we have to cross the river somehow. There are ferries that do that kind of service, I think. We just have to find a way to move Paral."

He turns to the druid, speaking quietly "Rana, I do not know what else to say to convince you. If you want to return to the woods, I will understand that. You are not bound by any responsability or oath towards me. ". He doesn't add that he really needs her help too, but the look he gives her shows his thoughts very clearly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ajadea: as far as he knows, what is a "safe" distance beyond which the spirit can't interact with other people if it's forced out?

Savannah: sorry about that, but it makes sense for him to offer you to go...after all, he doesn't want to force you do something you don't want to.

13. - Top - End - #433

Rana smiles gratefully to Llaars, then turns to Audric. "Leave? Now? Forget it. You need someone sensible to clean up this mess when it blows up in your face."
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric
    Spoiler
    Show

Anywhere between eighty and a hundred feet. Of course, the bit where turning doesn't exactly reach that far makes it difficult.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Ettin in the Playground

"It is very possible that you are right" Audric smiles despite himself, then goes over to the place he slept to don his armor and pick up his things. He winces when he bends down, the pain reminding him that he is still pretty badly injuried. "Does anybody here beside me needs healing?"

16. - Top - End - #436

"Shadow and I are hurt as well...although I don't think Shadow is hurt too badly."

Ajadea, should Shadow have healed some naturally since he slept all night?
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

17. - Top - End - #437

Llaars

Looking himself over, scars and all, Llaars shrugs. "You need it more than me. Besides, don't your paladin buddies know how to do that stuff too?"

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Savannah View Post
    Ajadea, should Shadow have healed some naturally since he slept all night?
    Yes, Shadow heals as appropriate for his HD.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, but we are still not in the city. And after everything that’s happened, we can’t afford not to be prepared. Here, let me deal with this.” He puts one hand on Llaars’ chest, closing his eyes for a moment and whispering a prayer.

He turns to Rana immediately after, hesitating for just a split second before touching her on the shoulder, if she allows him to. “Please, stand still a second.” he says, concentrating his powers on her as well.

Spoiler
    Show
    ((CLW on Llaars for 8 hp, as per OOC roll. As for Rana, Lay on hands, 1hp…and if everything goes well, another 5hp ))

20. - Top - End - #440

Rana smirks slightly and flexes her fingers. "Always healing the others before yourself. Now if this won't cause you to go up in flames from the heresy..." She murmurs a few words and touches Audric's arm (CMW for 17). She repeats the procedure on Llaars (CLW for 10).
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric is still standing there thirty seconds later, and most certainly not blazing with fire of any origin. You all (Antal excepted) are subjected to the temporary unpleasantness that is healing magic. No matter how much it is required, feeling your insides snap and weave back together isn't fun. Slightly more so for druidic magic, which skips the numbing and goes straight to the point, condensing days of bedrest into three painful seconds.

But in the end, you do feel less like you've fallen off a cliff a few hours ago, and more like you've spent the last day doing something that could be considered normal. So, you know, progress.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric grimaces slightly as the healing magic has its effect, then smiles gratefully to Rana “Thank you.” he says. He throws a worried glance to Paral “We should probably go, now. I do not know if he will remain calm and subdued for long.” He pauses for a second, frowning. They have to find a way to carry the sorcerer around, if they want to get to the city. ”Do you think it would be possible to turn that bedroll into a stretcher?

Spoiler
    Show
    Detect magic, to assess Paral’s conditions, and I suppose we could use those 10 ft poles to craft a makeshift stretcher… otherwise spot - (1d20+3)[20] and search - (1d20+1)[19] to look for suitable branches.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric
    Spoiler
    Show

Nearly five hundred years trapped, blind, deaf, unable to touch or taste or even feel anything...amazing. You cannot know, paladin, how it is...like being reborn. The thing within Paral sounds quite a lot like Aamir when very, very, very, very, drunk. Its magic wavers and lurches, clumsy and unstable. Waves of sweet red and dizzying assaults of what feels like shards of glass and swathes of silk in turn, as if it cannot decide which it is...

You aren't quite sure what a drunk sorcerer could do. But the barely controlled magic and utter incoherence is probably not a good thing.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ettin in the Playground

A look of barely contained anger passes on the paladin’s face “Yes, and I am certain Paral is appreciating it too, isn’t he, you aberration?” he hisses, apparently addressing the sorcerer, or the thing inside him. He shuts his eyes, forcibly diverting his attention from the young boy “Let’s go” he repeats, somehow brusquely, to the others.

25. - Top - End - #445

Llaars

Seeing Audric flinch and not quite knowing what to expect himself, Llaars braces himself for the worst. Despite his preparedness, he still painfully coughs when the spell starts. Feeling improved, he sets to work on putting together the stretcher, but stops when he hears the paladin speak to the spirit again. "Hey, I know you got a pretty good handle on things here, but I'd still try not to talk to that thing. 'Specially when there's other people around..."

26. - Top - End - #446
    Ettin in the Playground

Pretty goood handle. Right. Nothing could be farther from the truth, as far as Audric is concerned. But he is glad to at least give the impression of knowing what he is doing. He passes an hand through his hair "No, you are right" he answers "That...thing manages to speak to me, somehow. It may become difficult to ignore it. It doesn't seem very coherent at the moment, tho. I think whatever was on that gag may have something to do with it." He goes over to help Llaars with his task, and with carrying Paral.

Spoiler
    Show
    ((Ajadea, should we roll something for that stretcher? I'm thinking craft(something), but I could be wrong...))

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ettin in the Playground

Nah, no rolling required.
    ---
    A bit of rope here and there, combined with a certain amount of messy knots, and you have converted the bedroll into a passable stretcher, if not exactly a comfortable one. It works, which is the important bit. You manage to tug and manipulate Paral into a heap on the stretcher with minimal interference. Every touch makes the boy flinch, but otherwise he doesn't seem interested in interacting with anyone, content to stare at the sky.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric examines the stretcher critically "This is stable enough, I think." he states "Llaars, if you give me an hand, we should be able to carry him without trouble. If we follow the road, we will probably be able to find a place where we can cross the river. A ferry or a bridge or something similar.".

29. - Top - End - #449

Llaars

Llaars grabs his end of the stretcher and nods toward Audric. "You lead."

30. - Top - End - #450

Rana calls Shadow and carefully tucks her ears under her hair before following.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.