New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: The Wrong Guys IC II

"You've been so insistent that you're going to be saving Paral, but you're willing to increase the risk that he will be killed because Kalan's not there to help you?"
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric sighs, passing an hand over his eyes. How in Aldaran's name did she manage to state exactly what he was thinking? "I know, and you're right" he says, in a small voice "I just don't want to put people in danger. Expecially people that I love like they are my family."

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

3. - Top - End - #543
    Troll in the Playground

While the paladin and druid talk in secret again (seriously, why don't they just get a room?), Antal turns to the new paladin, Who do I want to cast the protective ward on?

Spoiler
    Show
    Talking, of course, about protection from arcane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

4. - Top - End - #544
    Ettin in the Playground

"Cast the ward on Audric. The act of exorcising the spirit will draw its ire, and it would naturally attempt to harm him first."

5. - Top - End - #545
    Bugbear in the Playground

Llaars

Llaars frowns as everyone prepares for the exorcism, not knowing quite what to do, besides standing back. "Hey uhhh... Kalan? I know this kinda thing isn't somethin' ya'll get to do much, but if what Audric is tellin' us is true, you might wanna do that thing where you check out his magic before lettin' us screw up big time here. Be careful though, this guy can get in your head..."

6. - Top - End - #546
    Ettin in the Playground

Kalan nods. "You are right. I fear my concentration has been slipping of late." He turns to Paral and falls silent for a few moments. After a moment, he frowns and closes his eyes. "There is certainly a great deal of power in the spirit. It seems to be consuming Paral's magic far faster than I anticipated. Given that, I believe there may be a possibility of stripping Paral's arcane ability from him in the act of exorcising him." He doesn't sound exactly elated about that fact for some reason.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Ettin in the Playground

Rana

"If you know I'm right, then why are you here talking to me? Get this foolish mess of yours over with."

8. - Top - End - #548
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric opens and closes his mouth, then just nods briskly, turning on his heels and returning near Kalan. He draws a breath "Which protocols were you referr..." he starts, then his brain registers the last sentence Kalan uttered. He looks at his mentor, surprised "And...you do not think this would be a good thing?" he asks, genuinely confused.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

9. - Top - End - #549
    Ettin in the Playground

"There are enough variables in this without unbound arcana added," Kalan says with a sigh. "There are sources that claim magic without a magician to wield it remains in the world for centuries at a time. Other sources claim it would dissipate as if the sorcerer had perished. One particularly...odd book spoke of magic that gained a mind. There is little enough knowledge about these situations. A sorcerer takes his magic to the grave, that much is confirmed."

10. - Top - End - #550
    Troll in the Playground

We are not killing Paral, Antal growls fiercly, drawing his little sword.

Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidate: (1d20+2)[20]
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #551
    Ettin in the Playground

"So I have noted," Kalan says dryly. "What I meant to say is that I know the consequences of leaving Paral's magic attached to him, and I know what wil happen to that magic sooner or later. Please sheathe your sword, there is no pressing need for violence now."

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ettin in the Playground

"Antal, dammit!" Audric almost growls, quickly stepping between Kalan and Antal "If someone here wanted to kill Paral, he would be dead already, and I would have been spared a lot of troubles. Now put. That sword. Away." He is very clearly angry, but he manages to calm down after a couple of breaths. He passes a hand through his hair "The sooner we do this, the better. I- I will do my best to try to minimize the risk of stripping the magic from Paral, even if I don't know how. Kalan - which protocols were you referring to,before? "

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ettin in the Playground

"In theory, you're supposed to attempt an exorcism before you go to the execution," Kalan remarks. "Though in practice, that step was skipped far too much of the time. Much of the protocol is actually based in common sense. Not that they are especially necessary, if you still wish me to step away."

14. - Top - End - #554
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric swallows nervously at the word "execution", trying to ignore the uneasy feeling in the pit of his stomach. "I don't like the idea of putting you in danger, Kalan. I'd very much prefer that you step away with the others, and I urge you to do so. You would only be 50 feet from where I am, surely it would be enough to guide me and give me advices?" He shakes his head, meeting Kalan's gaze with an open expression. "In the end, though, it is your decision to make."

15. - Top - End - #555
    Ettin in the Playground

"I plan to monitor the magical aspect of the ritual, and advise you accordingly. I can hardly do that from a hundred feet away." Kalan nods. "There is no need to waste more time talking. Waiting will only increase fears."
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2011-07-19 at 12:52 AM.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ettin in the Playground

"I agree. Antal, if you want to cast your spell, do it now. Kalan, I... I don't know how to thank you". He hesitates, suddenly realizing something "Do you think it would be better if you're bound or restrained somehow? Just in case something goes wrong?"

17. - Top - End - #557
    Troll in the Playground

Antal quickly weaves the spell, enmeshing Audric in an arcane aura of... anti-arcane.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #558
    Ettin in the Playground

"I will need to communicate with you, so gagging is not an option. However, binding my wrists should still neutralize the majority of the magic that the spirit can use. We should begin soon, whatever you choose to do. The ward will not last forever."

19. - Top - End - #559
    Ettin in the Playground

The paladin suppresses a reflexive shudder as the spell is cast on him: he had expected an arcane spell to hurt somehow, but the sensation is not painful. He nods at Kalan's words "Very well. Antal, Rana, help me here - you're better with knots than I am" Working quickly Audric uses a strip of cloth to bind Kalan's wrist.

Spoiler
    Show
    ((I have to roll, don't I? I'm warning you, I'm counting on Aid Another checks.

use rope - (1d20)[4] EDIT: ))
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2011-07-19 at 12:29 PM.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Troll in the Playground

You're hopeless, Antal pushes Audric aside to take over the knot tying.

Spoiler
    Show
    Use Rope:(1d20+1)[11]
    Show

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ettin in the Playground

While Audric's so-called knot falls apart within a few seconds, Antal does a considerably better job. Kalan nods when he tests the bonds. "Ready to begin, then?"

22. - Top - End - #562
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric nods. " Llaars, Rana, Antal, step away. And stay away, whatever happens. I'm talking to you in particular, Antal: do not get stange ideas. Llaars, I expect you to subdue him if he does something idiotic." He waits till the others comply, before giving one last look to Paral and his surroundings and stepping away himself, though not quite so far, and waiting for Kalan to stand beside him. He nods at the other paladin "I am ready. What should I do?"

23. - Top - End - #563
    Troll in the Playground

I thought I was going to supply some power?
    Show

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ettin in the Playground

"The incantation is as follows; Leave now, spirit, the body of this boy. In the name of Aldaran, I rebuke thee. I cast thee away to the hells from whence you came." Kalan's eyes are half-shut as he recalls the words. "You will need your holy symbol. Hold it as steady as you can. Focus your power, call on Aldaran for aid."

25. - Top - End - #565
    Ettin in the Playground

"You did. You cast a ward on me, for which I'm thankful. Now stand back, Antal, please. I do not want to have to worry about you, too.". He nods at Kalan's words, even if they make him uneasy, mostly because he'd be calling on Aldaran's help to save a sorcerer, but he waits till he is sure that the others are safely away. Antal expecially.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Troll in the Playground

Dragging his feet a little at not being able to help more, Antal moves away. He does, however, keep a close eye on what he can see Audric and the other paladin do. If he can learn arcane magic, something the paladins didn't know anyone could do, maybe he can learn divine magic, or some of it, at least.

Spoiler
    Show
    Might as well start the fluff of Opportunistic Piety now.
    Last edited by Jallorn; 2011-07-20 at 12:44 AM.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric follows him with his eyes, to make sure he is out of the dangerous range together with the others, then turns to Kalan again, nodding to show he is ready.
    He closes his eyes and grips his holy symbol tightly, then focuses on Paral's prone form fifty steps away, holding his holy symbol out towards him and repeating the words Kalan said just a couple of seconds ago: "Leave now, spirit, the body of this boy. In the name of Aldaran, I rebuke thee. I cast thee away to the hells from whence you came.". His voice wavers on the first couple of words, then becomes more firm, and he tries to avoid his hands to shake. Please, Aldaran, let me save this boy. Help me to cast that abomination away.

((Here goes nothing...turn check - (1d20+4)[19])
    EDIT: Hey! Please tell me if I should roll something else.))
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2011-07-20 at 01:13 AM.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Ettin in the Playground

The effect is instant.

Paral seems to glow with holy radiance for a moment, and you're sure if it was not for the gag, he would have screamed. Outlined in the glow is another humanoid shape overlaid on him, translucent and blood red. Despite the lack of features, you can tell it is in agony. The glow and the ghost fade together in only an instant. If that is the spirit, it doesn't seem to be in a hurry to go anywhere.

Spoiler
    Show

I took the liberty of rolling turning damage for you (11). How many Turn Undead attempts are you expending now?
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2011-07-20 at 01:22 AM.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Hmmm...let's say four, at the moment? I'd like to keep something in case the thing attacks Kalan. I'm going to stop before if something else happens, or use more if despite his attempts the exorcism doesn't work, so I'm rolling only the first one here, but feel free to roll the others for me

It looks like it's working, somehow. Thank you, Aldaran Audric gives a quick look to Kalan to see if he is alright, before turning to the sorcerer again "I said, leave, you monster. In the name of Aldaran.". He grips his holy symbol a little tighter, and repeats once more what he did before, trying to channel his powers on the boy.

turn check - (1d20+4)[5]
    turn damage - (2d6+5)[10]

((Edit: well, it was too good to be true. And since I'm off to work now, please roll the other two for me?))
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2011-07-20 at 01:41 AM.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Ettin in the Playground

For a few seconds that seem to stretch on for far too long, nothing happens. Kalan looks particularly worried. And then...well, an explosion might be the best thing to compare it to. The spirit buckles for a moment, warping in ways only a spirit can. You're fairly sure you saw its hand poking out of its backside. Paral stiffens, and then his form turns limp as he sinks into unconsciousness. Or at least what you hope is unconsciousness. Kalan looks very much like he wants to clap his hands over his ears. You can only imagine what he hears and feels.

Though even that minor explosion does not quite drive the spirit out, the next wave of divine power seems to be more than adequate.

Even from a hundred feet away, you can see the mess. With an inaudible scream, the spirit, now closer to a tangle of energy, of claiming hands and chains, tears itself away from Paral. Blood spills out of his chest and the palms of his hands. Though the lack of god-given radiance quickly makes that abomination disappear from your vision, you know it is still there.

The warding that protects Audric flashes orangish, buckles, and then-miraculously-holds. At least for a second longer. The spirit is already distracted by the time the ward crumbles. Kalan sinks to his knees, but it is clear enough he is not possessed. At least for the three people standing so far away, who hear, for the first time, insidious whispers...

Not Audric
    Spoiler
    Show

Begging, beseeching, words you do not know and yet you understand, pleas for help and offers of dreams, offers of homes lost and threats countered, of peace and power, wealth and prosperity. A gift of lies and love and hope, if you just relax for a moment. Let go of your fear.

(1d20+9)[12]
    (1d20+8)[9]
    (1d20+5)[12]
    Spoiler
    Show

Basically, Audric fails (as shown in thread), fails again (rolled a 6), and then natural 20. Which, given the circumstances, may as well count as a critical turn. Two more successful turn attempts and...
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2011-07-20 at 02:08 AM.