New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Wrong Guys IC II

A river, yeah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

You can lower everyone with a Take 10 on Use Rope except Shadow and whoever's climbing down last, who needs a Climb check and a Use Rope check, assuming you aren't trying to make Rana lower someone by herself, in which case a Strength check is in order.
    ---
    No water (or anything else) is visible to Llaars. The light doesn't reach far enough.
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2011-03-22 at 07:07 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

"Very well, so let's try this again" Audric gestures to Yilminri to tie himself up again "Ah... sorry about the confusion, little friend. There has been another change of plans." When he is safely down, he addresses Rana and Llaars. "A harness for Shadow seems a good idea. I need some help with that, then I think we can bring Rana down,too."

He considers carefully. After that, they have to choose between him and Llaars to be the last one to climb. Which is the more dangerous feat. "I will lower Llaars down and then attempting to climb myself."

Spoiler
    Show
    ((And of course I know it makes the most sense the other way around, what with heavy amor and all...stupid overprotective paladin. . OOC? Feel free to contradict him. Anytime. Please? ))

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

"Yumani-be soora," Yilminri declares to its toes as it slips back into the knot. When it gets down it seems excited, judging by the way it hops up and down excitedly as it untangles itself from the mess at the end of the rope. "Alifeen, wassa bow-ut?!" it says again, poking Antal with one bony finger.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Hey there, I have no clue what you're saying. Do you understand us? Antal is intrigued by the little guy. Do you speak this language? he asks once in each of the languages he speaks, Halfling, Elven, Gnomish, and Dwarvish.
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Speaking Gnome seems to catch Yilminri's attention. "Small speaking. Small...er...under mind-ing? What a 'bow-ut'?"

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

A boat, Antal says in gnomish, Wood nailed together and water-proofed so it'll float with a lot of weight in it. I'm Antal, by the way, and you are?
    Last edited by Jallorn; 2011-03-23 at 01:59 PM.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

"Yilminri. A bow-at is kiennaf, from up world plants? I want see! I want see!" Yilminri says in very horrible Gnomish, jumping up and down and clapping. It doesn't seem to mind the feel of rough rocks under its bare feet.
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2011-03-23 at 02:18 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Why don't we let the others get down, then I can show all of you. Antal looks pensively at Yilminri, Have you never been on the surface world?
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

For reference: Yilminri resembles a warped child with sickly gray skin, clothed in thin, bloody, furs. It is tiny, no more than two feet tall, with a narrow chest and slightly too-big head, even for a kid. Its legs are bandy and bowed, and its arms are far too long for its body. Its pug nose still bears the faint marks of having been broken in the past, and there is still a smear of drying blood at one corner of its too-wide mouth. It has stringy black hair, and little bits of faintly glowing spinal cord seem to be tied to the ends of some of its hair, like beads on braids. Batlike ears poke out of its tangled hair, and its large eyes shine like orange gemstones in the darkness, without visible pupils.

"Up world? Up world is scary. Big living-things eat person. Like eat person. I go. I take gurineh, I take unamna. I think...thinked? To be epolazi."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Bugbear in the Playground

Llaars

"Audric, don't be crazy. You go down first. I don't trust you to climb down by yourself." The last statement was uttered with a smug grin as he takes hold of his end of the rope.

Spoiler
    Show
    Does it look possible to climb all the way down?

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Possible? Yes. Without a rope? That could be tricky, to say the least.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

"Llaars, it's really far too dangerous..." he starts, then stops. He considers himself and his heavy armor compared with the relative agility of the other man. It makes sense. Don't insult your allies by treating them like children, Audric. They are capable men and women in their own right.

He takes a deep breath "Very well, but you aren't climbing down without rope and you certainly aren't jumping.". He purses his lips remembering the big man jumping down the first pit like it was the most normal thing in the world. "There is that nook, there. " he says, pointing. "We hook the rope there, then you lower me down, and climb yourself. Alright?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Overprotective, maybe. An idiot? Nope. He just needs someone to push him to put to use that +3 wis bonus. Thanks, Nanoblack.
    Ajadea: what would we need to roll for bringing Shadow down?

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

A makeshift harness needs a Use Rope check or a Craft [something that isn't herbal medicine] check.

Lowering Shadow requires a Strength check, and a Handle Animal check (to calm down the poor wolf) can lower the DC.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Rana takes the end of the rope and kneels next to Shadow, making soothing noises as she starts to construct a harness.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking 20 on Use rope for 22 (plus Audric's help).
    Handle animal (1d20+14)[32]
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

The harness looks snug, and Shadow looks...well, still under the impression that his druid is going crazy, but relaxed enough that lowering him should not be a problem.

17. - Top - End - #47

Oh, I forgot to mention, Rana also feeds him a number of the venison jerky treats she's carrying
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Hope you don't mind, but I don't need all of you to roleplay taking ten on dropping down a hole.
    ---
    The venison jerky seems to appease Shadow- apparently having a crazy druid is OK if she gives you yummy food.

Shadow is lowered with ease, and Rana is lowered only a few minutes later. When only Audric and Llaars are left up at the top of the hole, one thing becomes clear: Llaars has about a 50-50 chance of dropping Audric. Down a hole that is over 40 feet deep.

19. - Top - End - #49

Spoiler
    Show
    Well... my strength score doesn't seem all that impressive now

Llaars seems at the ready to lower his companion, but seems wary after considering how much all of that armor really weighs.
    Last edited by Nanoblack; 2011-03-28 at 07:11 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric notices Llaars' hesitation, and looks down the hole again, gauging its height. It probably isn't a good idea for Llaars to lower him together with all his gear - the man is strong, but Audric has a full armor on. "Wait, let me make this a bit more easy" he says. He removes his heavy armor, and remains in the plain clothes he usually wears under it. Can't say that isn't a relief, really. Between the slime of the first pit and the everdripping water, he was feeling quite miserable A bath would be nice, right about now he thinks wistfully.

"Very well, let's lower this mail first, then myself. I can put it on again when I'm at the bottom." he says.
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2011-03-29 at 12:56 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric's gear is easy to lower. Audric himself is somewhat more difficult, but you manage. It's just that the rope still isn't tied to anything, and Llaars is still up there.

Audric
    Spoiler
    Show

You are lowered into a cold cavern. It is wet down here, and you can hear the sound of dripping water and rushing river in the distance.

Yilminri seems to be slightly shocked when it notices that Audric is burnt, bruised, and rather slimy from the knees down. "Chienar se bin!" it squeaks. "Ko malla se ryainn? Ko malla se baseri-ak?"

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

I know you don't have the best mastery of this language, Antal says in gnomish, But would you mind trying to use it mostly? Just so we can understand you?
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

"Autric has punches," Yilminri says, rolling it's eyes at you as it switches to Gnomic. "Has fire-marks. Did the bad...um, serinsaer...no, serinsaeri hit him too?"
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2011-03-29 at 12:04 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Serinsaeri... oh sorceress! Antal lapses into common for a moment before returning to gnomish, Yes, we did run into a bad sorceress. You said "too," did you run into a sorceress?
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

Fall on. Hole in water path, see? I not see when walk, fall. Yilminri says, pointing up at the hole. "She speaks angry, speak like hollhe. Makes magic fists, and runs away. She maybe think I was a dreyat, and she scare for her venitnaa? Tolle se no. Er, I no think."

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

As soon as he touches the ground, Audric disentangles himself from the rope, looking worriedly at the ledge above him to see if Llaars has difficulties.

He then turns to Antal, assessing him to see if he is injured or needs help. He takes a step towards the halfling, starts to say something, but is interrupted by Yilminri's shrill voice. And I don't even want to know how Antal speaks a language that this being understands he thinks.

He lets the two talk for now, just arching an eyebrow when he hears the word "sorcerer", but otherwise not intervening in any other way. The look he launches to Antal, however, says very clearly that he has a lot of things to say to him.
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2011-03-29 at 04:31 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57

Llaars

The large man thinks to himself for a moment as he contemplates how to go about tying this rope to something secure. With a casual shrug he searches for the spot previously pointed out by Audric and sets to his task, if only so they'll have a way back up. Once content with his knot, he readies himself and climbs down, trying to find handholds along the wall instead of just using his feet.

Spoiler
    Show
    Use Rope:(1d20+1)[2]
    Climb:(1d20+3)[17]

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Completely oblivious to Audric, Antal spouts excitedly, in common unfortunately, She was here? As in here here?? Antal is about to say more, when he realizes he's speaking in common, and switches back to gnomish, Did she have a human with her? Thin, but tall, about Audric's height.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59

"She, she who? The witch?"

Rana helps Audric sort out his armor and does the best she can to help him get it back on properly.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

It takes a total of 8 rolls to descend: I made them for you...um...sorry?
    ---
    Yilminri nods. ""They together. He look hurt. She protect him, behave like his...no knowing how say...I sorry. In speech I speak, word is venitnaa. "Llaars, Autric and Ra be venitnaa. "Knowing what I want say?""
    ---
    Llaars is almost all the way down, when a rock breaks under his hand and he slips, slamming hard into the rock, though he does manage to roll with the fall this time.

Take (1d6)[2] lethal damage.
    ---
    Yilminri jumps backward a full foot when Llaars hits the ground, then looks up at Antal, a disapproving look on it's face, or at least what sort of looks like a disapproving look. "Your venitnaali be clumsy clumsy. No knowing how to walk here. If I knowing that there be hole, I climb low, not jump low."