New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Wrong Guys IC II

Audric staggers and loses his concentration for a moment when he sees his companion fall to the ground "Kalan! Are you all right?" he calls out, concerned. He dares to look at him for just a split second before concentrating again on Paral. Almost unconsciously, he takes a step forward, as if to physically shield the other paladin from the spirit's onslaught, mentally asking for Aldaran not to forsake him. "Leave him be, you hear me? Leave them BOTH be!"

((If I understood correctly, I have to roll again, right?
    (1d20+4)[17] (2d6+5)[11]
    (1d20+4)[18] (2d6+5)[16]))

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

2. - Top - End - #572
    Ettin in the Playground

(Actually, I rolled the last two turn attempts for you, but you rolled better than I did.)

"I am fine, Audric," Kalan says, though his shaking voice seems to belie that statement. "I would, however, appreciate it if you untied my wrists." The spirit is (hopefully) gone, though you can all feel the remains of its presence. The sensation is about as pleasant as the idea of another wade through the sewers.

Meanwhile, blood continues to pour out of Paral's palms and chest. The rope binding him is stained red with blood that seems a shade too bright.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Troll in the Playground

Antal runs over to Paral to check on his condition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

4. - Top - End - #574
    Ettin in the Playground

The bindings prevent a detailed inspection, but a closer look shows that the gag is bloody as well, though not quite as much as the ropes. Deep scratch-like wounds run up the inside of his arms, wounds that certainly were not there before.

(1d20+1)[19]
    (1d20+2)[9]
    (1d20+1)[3]

5. - Top - End - #575
    Ettin in the Playground

((Just to avoid doing something incredibly stupid, before I do anything, can I have a Detect magic? Paranoia is my friend .))

"You are fine. Right." he says dubiously, helping Kalan up and working quickly to untie his wrists. He is aware Paral's condition needs to be addressed immediately, but to have another person capable to heal may be worth the couple seconds of delay "What happened? What did you feel?"

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

6. - Top - End - #576
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric
    Spoiler
    Show

A long irregular streak of fading blood-red and a sickly sweet rose scent mark the spirit's haphazard attempts at possession. The path distorts where you are, where the ward was. You can see the shattered ward, orange and sharp as broken glass, fading away into nothingness. Though Kalan is physically unharmed, you can see slashes of magic running across his chest and face, false gouges where his eyes and heart lie. If those were real cuts, he would be dead. The trail of red magic ends almost exactly where the other three were standing.

Kalan rubs his neck, his eyes half-closed. When he speaks, his voice is monotone and his expression devoid of anything that could be called emotion. "The spirit was screaming and pleading for mercy. It looked far more human than I would have thought possible, and its will was stronger than I anticipated. But it is gone. You did well, Audric." Even his last words hold no warmth.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric looks at him sharply - that tone is so unlike Kalan that he can't help but being concerned. However, he reasons, the other paladin is probably in shock, which is perfectly understable: he can't even begin to imagine what the experience would have been like without the protection of the wards. He gives Kalan another worried look and almost starts to say something before remembering that there is a sorcerer bleeding out just fifty feet away...and that should probably take priority, if they don't want the entire ordeal to be for nothing.

"We should go and see to Paral" he says. He just squeezes Kalan's arm in a gesture of comfort, then turns away and hurries to kneel near the unconscious sorcerer, trying to do his best to check his wounds.

Spoiler
    Show
    ((heal - (1d20+7)[18]. And, before I try anything else with Lay on Hands, detect magic again.))
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2011-07-21 at 12:52 AM.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric
    Spoiler
    Show

It is difficult to tell where the blood ends and the entwined magic begins. Visually, at least. Your other senses more than compensate, helpfully supplying the scent of rotting roses, the twin echoes of a plea for mercy, cold blades dancing lines across your hands, silent walls broken, perhaps forever, chains and ropes burnt to white-hot ash.

With the judicious application of sharp objects to the rope and gag, you can see now the full extent of the damage the departing spirit did to Paral. A single deep cut runs down his chest, bleeding heavily. The skin near the cut is discoloring before your eyes, turning a warm mottled greenish-black. Which, all things considered, is not likely to be a good thing.

Despite Audric's previous words, Kalan doesn't come over at once, instead lingering for a few seconds in silence. After that he follows Audric, kneeling by Paral and checking his wounds. He doesn't seem to like what he sees.
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2011-07-21 at 01:25 AM.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric mutters a curse under his breath, quickly leaning his hands on the side of Paral's neck and chest, near the wound but not directly on it. He is about to channel his healing powers towards the sorcerer, but hesitates at the last second. "Last time I tried to do this to him, I did more harm than good." He doesn't know if that was because of the spirit, or because of Paral's arcane power. He looks at Kalan, biting his lips and searching his face for an advice of what to do.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Ettin in the Playground

"If Paral was possessed the last time you attempted to heal him, then you would have failed. The spirit's undead nature would prevent most healing from doing any good."

11. - Top - End - #581
    Ettin in the Playground

"Was that the reason? I...I thought it was because he was a sorcerer..." That's somehow comforting, but something that he can think about later, when there isn't a boy who's probably dying under his hands. He looks silently at Kalan, hoping that the other paladin is prepared to help him with this task too should it be needed, then he closes his eyes and whispers a prayer to Aldaran, focusing himself to heal the boy's wound.

Spoiler
    Show
    ((Lay on hands...for as many point it's needed, depending, I guess, if Kalan helps him and how bad off Paral is. I'm capable to heal 10 hp at the moment .))

12. - Top - End - #582
    Ettin in the Playground

The healing works...well, at least marginally better this time. Marginally being the key word. The wounds do not worsen, and indeed, the mottling seems to be nearly gone. The bleeding stops. No light lashes out like blades. But Paral's wounds don't seem to be getting any better beyond the lack of bleeding. And Audric, once again, begins to bleed. Small cuts on his hands, no bigger than dagger wounds, but still...

Audric takes (1d4)[2] damage.

13. - Top - End - #583
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric hisses in pain once again, jerking his hands away from Paral. He looks at Antal, shaking his head to indicate he can't do anymore than that for the boy. "I'm sorry, Antal. I don't know why this happens." He seems almost frightened as he addresses Kalan "Is this because of the spirit, too?". If so, then not even Rana's healing is going to do much good. If not, they might still have a possibility.

Spoiler
    Show
    ((Ajadea, do I consider all 10 hp from lay on hands expended or do I get to keep something?))

14. - Top - End - #584
    Ettin in the Playground

Consider 6/10 points expended.
    ----
    Kalan takes a deep breath. "I do not believe so," he says. His voice is slightly less flat this time, carrying a note of worry. "Audric, we need to talk."

15. - Top - End - #585
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric tenses, but just nods.I had kind of figured. Apparently, some things don't change: he is a grown man now, but when he hears those words from Kalan, he gets the exact same sensation of when he was just a child about to get scolded from some mischief.

He gets up "In private, I suppose?" but before getting away from Paral, he leans towards Antal "I can't do anything else" he says, and then adds, not quite whispering but not even in a loud tone "I think Rana might be able to help more than I can with this.". He launches a meaningful glance to the druid, then steps a bit further away with Kalan.

16. - Top - End - #586
    Ettin in the Playground

Kalan walks swiftly to the edge of the field, at least partially out of the hearing range of the rest of you.

Audric/DC 25 Listen.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Audric...I asked you this years ago, and I ask you again. Can you commit yourself, heart and soul, to this? To paladinhood? You are risking everything for a pair of sorcerers and an elf. I don't want to hear your excuses. I just want to know if you think whatever you're doing right now is worth falling. For that is what will happen if you continue your association with these people."

17. - Top - End - #587
    Ettin in the Playground

Ajadea/DC 25 Listen(I suppose)
    Spoiler
    Show
    He swallows and bows his head. What Kalan is saying is nothing that he didn't know, on some level, but to hear it put so openly is somehow distressing "I don't know." he says, almost whispering. He raises his eyes to meet Kalan's "Do you know what that sorceress or whatever she is was doing to her own kind?" he asks, a bit more forcefully.
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2011-07-22 at 01:56 PM.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric/DC 25 Listen.
    Spoiler
    Show

Kalan sighs, taking Audric's wounded hands in his and murmuring a prayer. The wounds cover themselves with new skin, though they have not been removed, exactly. "Sorcerers are not kin to us or each other. They follow their whims and serve only themselves, with very few exceptions. But I will listen. What did the sorceress do?"

Audric heals 1 HP.

Rana kneels by Paral, sparing a glance towards the two paladins at the edge of the field before casting her spell. The slashes slowly knit themselves up, though Paral remains quite unconscious. When the spell finishes nearly twenty seconds later, it rather looks like Paral's wounds were stitched together by his own skin. While it seems fairly likely that Kalan noticed, he does not turn to look.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Ettin in the Playground

Ajadea/DC 25 Listen
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Thank you." he says, almost automatically, then takes a deep breath and answers "She was torturing them, Kalan. She kept a bard girl there for months, doing unspeakable things to her. She does not even stop in front of children. She...apparently she steals her powers from other arcane users.". He makes a gesture to encompass Rana and Antal. He is standing a bit more straight. "Those are not bad people, Kalan. And if I didn't help them and protect that boy, noone would have. What was I supposed to do?"

20. - Top - End - #590
    Troll in the Playground

Listen Check: (1d20+10)[20]
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #591
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric
    Spoiler
    Show

Kalan is silent for a moment before he answers, gently releasing Audric's partially-healed hands. "I do not know what you are supposed to do. But I think you have already decided what you will do." He looks almost disappointed. Certainly more tired than he had been before.

22. - Top - End - #592
    Ettin in the Playground

Ajadea
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I-" he hesitates. As always, it seems the other paladin knows him better than he himself does. "I suppose you are right." His voice wavers a little, and he can't help but add "Are you very disappointed in me?"

23. - Top - End - #593
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric
    Spoiler
    Show

"Somewhat," Kalan admits. "But you are free to make your own choices." He looks up at the sky for a moment. "I should be getting back to the temple. I do have students to teach." His voice seems to be getting back most of its typical warmth.

24. - Top - End - #594
    Ettin in the Playground

Ajadea
    Spoiler
    Show
    Audric bites his lips and nods. He supposes he couldn't have expected a different answer. "Thank you again, for having come and helped regardless of who those people were." He draws another breath, and tries to compose himself. That's not easy, and it is quite evident that the conversation has shaken him "Come say goodbye to the others, first. I am sure they will want to thank you, too."
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2011-07-24 at 11:23 AM.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Rana was clearly hesitant to heal Paral -- whether because of Kalan's presence or because of something else is unclear -- and steps quickly away from the body.

Listen (1d20+11)[15]
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Ettin in the Playground

Kalan nods and walks back to the group. "I fear I must return to the temple. I do have classes to teach. It was a pleasure to meet each of you." With a tentative half-smile and a courteous nod, he departs.

27. - Top - End - #597

Rana turns to Audric urgently, "You're just letting him leave? What if he's going to get the other paladins?"
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric had returned to the group looking a bit pale and shaken. Nonetheless, when Rana speaks, he arches an eyebrow at her "Of course" he answers "He helped us to save a sorcerer, putting at risk his own life and safety, just so he could go back and call other people to kill us. It does make perfect sense, don't you think?". The tone is unusually tense for him, and it is quite evident that he is upset by something. "I can call him back, if you want. Would a reassurance directly from him be enough to put your mind at ease?"
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2011-08-01 at 03:21 PM.

29. - Top - End - #599

"Lull us into thinking he's an ally and then bring down the rest of the paladins? Of course it makes sense! And maybe he should talk to me-- he could lie to you without even trying as you wouldn't question a word he says!"
    Last edited by Savannah; 2011-08-01 at 03:33 PM. Reason: can't punctuate today
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Troll in the Playground

Look, I don't care if he's coming back with the entire force of the paladins behind him, Paral is almost back to normal, and right now he needs a healer of some kind. After that, if they're after me'n Paral, well, Antal gives the others a half crazed grin, we'll just outrun 'em.
    Show