New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: The Wrong Guys IC II

Rana prefers to let the others talk, keeping to the background (well, as much to the background as one can with a giant wolf at one's side) while watching the proceedings closely.

Spoiler
    Show
    Just for the hell of it: Spot (1d20+11)[30], Listen (1d20+11)[13], Sense motive (1d204)[144].
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

2. - Top - End - #812

Spoiler
    Show
    erm, Sense motive (1d20+4)[21]
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

3. - Top - End - #813
    Ettin in the Playground

For another couple of moments, Audric debates with himself if intervening, but he honestly cannot act like nothing is wrong. He steps in front of Arheilt to look the dwarf in the eye "Whatever it was, I can see you are not proud of what you did" he says. He makes an effort to talk more slowly than usual, so as to be more comprehensible "But I have to know this: are there people in danger because of it, now or in the future?"

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

4. - Top - End - #814
    Ettin in the Playground

Arheilt looks up at Audric, then sighs, and nods, thumping himself in the chest.

Rana
    Spoiler
    Show

It doesn't take a genius to tell that Arheilt has a very guilty expression on his face. Whatever he's done, whatever he's meddled with, he seems regretful of doing so. Antal seems curious, and perhaps a tiny bit worried.

5. - Top - End - #815

Ajadea
    Spoiler
    Show
    Antal? Not that I mind getting info on other PCs, it's just that doesn't usually come from the DM
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

6. - Top - End - #816
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric frowns. If he understood correcty... "Yourself?" he asks, then with an effort switches to Elven. Felix said Arheilt speaks it better than Common "[You mean you are the one in danger because of it?]"

Spoiler
    Show
    ((knowledge religion - (1d20+4)[6] knowledge arcana - (1d20+2)[12] spellcraft - (1d20+2)[7]: What can he figure out about Arheilt's aura?
    EDIT: ))
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2011-11-16 at 12:02 AM.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

7. - Top - End - #817
    Ettin in the Playground

Arheilt nods, looking more certain this time, though not any happier about it.

8. - Top - End - #818
    Ettin in the Playground

You asked. You should deal with it, now. Even if this wasn't the answer you expected. Audric sighs, rubbing his eyes, then sits down gingerly on the bed. He doesn't want to give the impression he is dominating the conversation just because of his height "Someone should really tell me what is going on, instead of making me guess" he mutters, and then, again in Elven "[Why? What happened?]"
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2011-11-16 at 12:44 AM.

9. - Top - End - #819
    Ettin in the Playground

Arheilt pauses, apparently struggling to translate. "[Bad happen. Dark-being. Of. Bleeding tie,]" he says at last. His command of Elven is terrible, his accent absolutely atrocious, and his concept of the proper word order loose at best. "[Me, dark-being-of. Tie half-make. Break, no break. Leave... leave,]" he draws a few quick lines on his skin. "[No hurt. No mean. Sorry.]" He frowns, and repeats himself in labored Common. "Sorry."

Felix groans. "This is just painful to listen to. Mortren, translation," he says, snapping his fingers.

"Do I look like a servant to you, boy?!"
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2011-11-16 at 01:41 AM.

10. - Top - End - #820

Rana frowns "[You almost joined with one of the spirits?]"
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

11. - Top - End - #821
    Ettin in the Playground

Arheilt shakes his head. "Spirit? No." Mortren sighs. "Demon. Not spirits," he grumbles reluctantly.

"[Bad happen. Time, no. Skill, no. Sword, no. Have book. Know little. Dark-being-of... shield I. Take many mine. Take take take. Nothing mine no more. All, dark-being have.]"

12. - Top - End - #822
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric's breath catches in his troath Demon. Aldaran protect us. he thinks, only semi-coherently. He shuts his eyes tightly. "Mortren. Antal. Please. I need you to help with the translation. I..." He pauses just for a fraction of a second I have no idea what to do. "I need to understand better"
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2011-11-16 at 01:40 PM.

13. - Top - End - #823
    Ettin in the Playground

Mortren translates Audric's request with even more reluctance than before. Arheilt nods and begins speaking in rapid-fire Dwarven. "Bad things happened in the city. Arheilt was caught in the crossfire, I think. Nowhere to run, no useful skills, no weapon. He had a book, and-" he breaks off into Dwarven again. "Apparently enough knowledge of this stuff to summon a demon. It was covered in..." He barks something at Arheilt, who slows down his rapid speech so that you can actually hear the pauses between the words. "Hair? I think? Anyways. He summoned this demon, and promises... you idiot.... promises anything, if it would protect him. And... what? It's been taking everything apparently. Demons do that sort of thing when you offer anything, it seems. His loved ones. His wealth. His home. His luck. His clan has abandoned him. Arheilt... he thinks his soul is next. If he hasn't lost that one already as well."

Felix whistles. "Harsh. Why didn't you tell that?"

"Fair. Mine honor-name, idiot...."

14. - Top - End - #824
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric hesitates, then answers, slowly "But... you said the deal was only half-made. " he says "That means the demon has broken the pact, somehow. Doesn't it?"

Another pause, then "The Order could be able to help with this, you know. This sort of thing is rare, but not unheard of."

15. - Top - End - #825
    Ettin in the Playground

Mortren translates again. "Help?" Arheilt asks. More rushed Dwarven. "I don't like it, but fine. What sort of help are you talking about, Audric? Not the kind that involves fire and smiting, I'd hope."

16. - Top - End - #826
    Ettin in the Playground

"No, not that kind." Audric says quietly "Or better said, yes, but not against Arheilt. I and my brethren could be able to fight the demon away. But Arheilt would have to be careful on how he explains..." The paladin stops mid-sentence, abruptly, as he has just realized how absurd the situation really is.

"What exactly are we doing here, if I may ask? Do we have a truce? Are you going to just turn around the second I am gone and go back to your ideas of war?" He looks around, in turn, to Felix, Kurag and Morten's expressions and adds, slowly "Am I helping someone only to have to fight him again when you put your plans to fruition?"
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2011-11-18 at 02:07 AM.

17. - Top - End - #827
    Ettin in the Playground

"Truce? Hardly," Kurag snarls. "Blood will be spilt. You worry about one tainted dwarf. There are darker things out there. Great chieftains and shamans. Animal speakers. Witches and demon-blood warlords-"

"Shut your mouth now, Kurag, if you want it to stay attached to your skull." Mortren growls.

"Fine. I doubt you will see Arheilt again, paladin. I do not think he wishes to fight. He is a simpering coward, with no useful skills in combat, as he himself has admitted. Why would anyone fight by something like that?"

"Stop bein' mean," Connor says indignantly, drawing himself up to his full height, which is slightly less than Antal's."I can make ya stop bein' mean." It would be a very threatening statement, if it wasn't coming from a child's mouth. It still is a threatening statement, because said child is a sorcerer. Arheilt takes one look at Connor and scoots away, apparently wanting to be as far as possible from a possible explosion.

Sandra grips Connor by his shoulder, her knuckles white from the pressure she's applying. Connor doesn't seem to feel it. "But you won't, right, sweetie?" she says desperately. Paral taps Connor with the glowing ball. "Messing around with people's heads never really works out well, even if they are right bastards. Trust me on that."

Connor sits back down reluctantly. "What's a bastard?"

"You'll figure it out on your own at some point. Till then, I don't think you need to know," Paral says hastily.

"Oh yes. Easily angered child sorcerers as well. Everything has a place, everything in its place. And the pieces come together and make a whole greater than the sum of its parts."

18. - Top - End - #828
    Bugbear in the Playground

Llaars

Slightly angered by Mortren's threat, Llaars takes a half step forward. "Those we will worry about when we cross paths with them. Where do you stand with us?

19. - Top - End - #829
    Ettin in the Playground

"I stand on the side I can believe will do something right. I've been here in this city near a hundred years and it hasn't happened yet. Stagnation and hollow words, that's all we've got in this forsaken place. The blind leading the blind and followed by sheep," Mortren says in disgust. "There are thinkers out there. Some of them are thinking about peace. Surely not something your lot's been dreaming of. More like purging, and death. And how far does that one get you?"
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2011-11-19 at 12:40 AM.

20. - Top - End - #830
    Bugbear in the Playground

Llaars

The big man sets his jaw, but continues to converse. "Just what the hell do you think we're doin' here? Tryin' to make peace. You might know somebody who's thinkin' about doin' something, but how's that any different from what you say is going on in the city? You're gettin' a real big chance to start somethin' important here. Not the kinda thing you should walk away from."

21. - Top - End - #831
    Ettin in the Playground

"And who do you have behind you, supporting you?" Mortren asks almost rhetorically. "Hell, I'm listening. Peace is all well and good, but so far, all I've been hearing about is a bit of doomsaying about a crazy lady who I can't do crap against."

22. - Top - End - #832
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric has got up from the bed he was sat on as soon as Kurag finished talking, walking straight towards the orc. At the moment, he didn't care he has no weapons and that Kurag is bigger and more intimidating than him: he stands squaring off against him, looking at him straight in the eye. Llaars intervenes just before he has a chance to say something, and he turns to him and Morten. He is obviously quite tense, and his hands are clenched at his side.

"Noone. We have noone behind us." he says in a low, flat tone, and then, raising his voice a bit "You accuse us to only be after purging and death, but all you were able to say to me is still 'blood will be spilt'. You talk about wanting peace, but you are threatening the life of innocent people, here and now. There are hundreds of people in this city - children and old people and defenseless citizens. I will not have you bring war here."

He draws a breath. He feels like he was running slightly out of air. "My allies and I have warned you of the threat that we all face. I have put aside everything I have been taught and tried to talk with you. I offered to help one of your own. " He looks from Morten to Felix "I am asking you to help build trust and alliances, for a change. Starting with Iil’ssaran. It’s not true you cannot do crap about her. You want to fight someone, fine. Help us fight something that is a danger to all."

23. - Top - End - #833
    Ettin in the Playground

"Here's an idea," Felix says quickly. "Let's talk about this in another room, one without a kid who can magically mess with heads in it. I like my head. A lot, actually. Especially when it stays on my neck."

Mortren and Kurag both ignore the pair of sorcerers in the corner and the babbling Felix. "We've gone over this, haven't we? Fight, yes. That's all well and good. How? Where the hell is she? Can you even kill a ghost? What's to keep them from coming back, again and again and again?"

"Mostly? Make it too hard for them to stick around. Wrap everything you can in protective charms and blessings and whatnot," Paral says. It's very difficult to tell if he's joking. "Make them hurt, make them bleed, make them too angry to think about sensible stuff like survival. Shouldn't be that hard. They're all half insane anyways."

"So stab a witch, make her bleed, and maybe brain her with a horseshoe for good measure." Felix flips the dagger around his hand and finally sheathes it. "Sounds simple enough."

24. - Top - End - #834
    Ettin in the Playground

"I never said it was simple." Audric answers "But we are not acting completely blind,either. We have at least a vague idea of where she is going and we know at least in part what she is after." He gestures towards Paral "The most important thing is, we have already opposed her plans. We have hurt her. We have made her flee." He looks at Llaars as he says that, a slight smile on his face in remembering the big man leaping in front of him to punch Iil'ssaran in the face "And we have beaten back another spirit like her, that had took possess of Paral. Paral is right: we know it can be done, because we have done it before."

25. - Top - End - #835
    Ettin in the Playground

"She's heading east-ish. Towards Rysal. And the mountains," Paral says to clarify.

Kurag grins. "There are shamans to the east. They make spirits bring them the earth magics. And they are very, very, bored, waiting for orders that never come. I wonder how this Iil'ssaran will fare against them."

"It's doable, good. So, what do you want? Arheilt goes to the temple and your lot sends paladins out against the wayward demon, Sandra gets to go on her way with the kid... and what, the actual warriors of us here go and hunt down this witch?"

26. - Top - End - #836
    Ettin in the Playground

The paladin hesitates for a moment. "I...we had not come here to ask you to fight with us" he starts "We had come to find a...a person, make sure she was alright. When I heard there were some of you preparing war, my only thought was try and stop you." He draws a breath "What I really want from you is a promise that this city will be safe from what you had planned to do, and a reassurance you are me... people of your word." He says the last part without breaking eye contact with Kurag ((sense motive - (1d20+9)[13]))

Audric turns around to look, in turn, at Rana, Llaars and Antal, to make sure that they aren't against what he is going to say next. "If you want to do something more...then yes. Yes, we could use your help." He makes a lopsided smile "I'd wager, given what we are up against, that we could use a lot of help."

27. - Top - End - #837
    Ettin in the Playground

Mortren mutters something under his breath that sounds a lot like Dwarven.

Kurag shakes his head. "That is not a promise any of us can make. We are three. There are thousands waiting for the word so that they can strike. What difference does our promise, our word, make in that? A change is coming. It has been coming for a while. I do not think even those who began it can stop it now."

Audric
    Spoiler
    Show

Kurag is making no attempt to hide that he is glad the city will fall.

28. - Top - End - #838

Rana shrugs one shoulder in response to Audric's look.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

29. - Top - End - #839
    Ettin in the Playground

Thousands. Gods. Audric clenches his jaw and draws himself up a little tighter. Possibly to avoid that the others see him shivering "Those thousands are not in front of me now." He says. "You three are. And a single person can make all the difference in this world." By Aldaran, he is beginning to speak just like Naara. Well, this is one of the things she was right about. He shifts his gaze slowly between Kurag, Morten and Felix "I asked for your word and possibly your help. What do you have to say to that?"

30. - Top - End - #840
    Ettin in the Playground

Felix shrugs. "Why not? I won't fight. At least, I won't fight this country. The witch... I think we've all got a good reason to want to fight her."

Mortren looks from Kurag to Audric. "I'm here to keep Kurag out of trouble. Don't know how much I can promise with that load on my back. I won't make the first move. But if someone comes after me with an axe trying to kill me or anyone else, I will attack in turn."

Kurag just shakes his head, eyes narrowed. "I swear, paladin, I will not raise arms against the humans. Satisfied?" he growls, his instinct for self-preservation apparently winning out over self-righteousness and bloodlust.
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2011-11-20 at 05:54 PM.