New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Wrong Guys IC II

"Something like that," Mortren replies, though the expression on his face makes it clear you've got it wrong again. "There was one, 'bout round that time frame. Pretty much the reason Kallean fell, when you get down to it. Big mess. On one side, you've got a handful of real powerful sorcerers, strong enough to turn platoons into bloody paste and summon themselves small armies, and then you've got the soldiers from Western Kallean and this place's paladins trying to fight them, and then you've got people from the rest of Kallean and more people from here trying to take advantage of the whole thing and get themselves some territory. Hard enough to fight one war without dealing with rebellions and suchlike. We were fine, more or less. They lost their empire, not that it wasn't already crumbling mind you."

"So, a battle in which one of 'em was slain? Easy enough, take your pick. Only six of 'em in the history books. Don't they have books about this stuff at your temple? Fort Brennam, Everdras Ridge, the coast 'round the other side of that mountain range, got two of 'em in the Longlea, they call it the Scar now, on account of the fact it's all red and burnt there, Hightower, another two in the Eastern Castle, and the big guy himself years later somewhere out in the wilds."

"You're lookin' for Everdras Ridge, I think. One of them stayed behind in that tunnel, for one reason or the other. Wiped out a quarter of the army before his shields fell, and then it was a rout. Not that it was much of one, given that it was only one of 'em."

2. - Top - End - #902
    Ettin in the Playground

"Wait, wait." That is important information Audric wants to make sure to get right and remember. "You said Everdras Ridge, the Scar, Fort Brennam, the Eastern Castle and... Hightower, was it? I've never heard of the last two." He probably should have heard the whole tale somewhere before, he knows, and this is probably Kalan's long awaited-for revenge for all the times he told him to pay more attention to his classes. After a little hesitation, he continues "And I don't know much about Everdras Ridge, either. Do you know how could we get there and... what we may expect to find if we go after her?"

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

3. - Top - End - #903
    Ettin in the Playground

Mortren nods. "Fort Brennam's easy. Down by the border, close to where Rysal and Tavetiir meet. On the way, more or less. Wouldn't be at all surprised if that witch took a stop there before headin' on to the ridge. Everdras... think it's a bit beyond there, maybe six, seven days by foot, least for dwarves. Head straight for the mountain that looks like it's been chopped up by some giant. You'll know when you reach the ridge. Hightower's exactly what it sounds like. There are roads to there, or there were when my granddam was alive. I could probably get her to send me the floor plan of that castle, though it'd not get here for a while. It's in the old capital of Kallean, though the whole damned city is pretty much undead - infested rubble nowadays."

4. - Top - End - #904
    Ettin in the Playground

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    ((I don't know if it was a typo or intended, but I have to point it out. If it was an oversight (or I didn't understand correctly), we'll roleplay our way out of it. ))

Audric starts answering, then runs again Morten's sentence in his head and stops abruptly. He looks sharply at the dwarf "You could get your granddam to send you the plan for the castle...when she isn't alive any more?"

Spoiler
    Show
    ((And just because Sense motive - (1d20+9)[18]))

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

5. - Top - End - #905
    Ettin in the Playground

Mortren rolls his eyes. "I've got two of 'em. Most people do, last I heard. One's dead, one's not. The blueprints were servin' as a nice wall hangin' last time I saw. Any one of my family could send it, but my granddam - the live one - has the most free time, given that she's retired an' all."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

It's a typo. Finals week . However, I'll throw it in anyways. Common is not Mortren's first language.

6. - Top - End - #906
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Rana makes a sound that might almost be a smothered laugh at Audric's misunderstanding.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

7. - Top - End - #907
    Ettin in the Playground

"You are right. My apologies." Audric shakes his head with a little self-deprecating smile. The fact that his mind jumped to the worst possible explanation ignoring the possibility of a linguistic misunderstanding just proves how tense he is. "And I thank you. But I suppose..." he turns to look at his companions "I suppose we should be leaving for Fort Brennam, and the Ridge." He turns to Morten, Felix and Kurag again "What about you? What are you going to do?"

8. - Top - End - #908
    Troll in the Playground

Antal had been standing awkwardly the whole time, his thoughts a jumble of way too many threads. As a result, when Audric first asks about history, his mind continues on that, but he doesn't immediately say anything.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (History)+Inspiration: (1d20+10)[19]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

9. - Top - End - #909
    Ettin in the Playground

"Me? I need to get back to the commanders," Felix says. "Hells, maybe I'll actually get to see one of 'em for once. It's not every day you find there's a whatever - hundred year old evil ghost healer mage thing on the loose. This is big."

"There are things I must do here still," Kurag says. He doesn't seem keen on elaborating.

Mortren looks up at the large orc and shrugs. "Writin' a letter, I think. Since I can't leave."

Antal
    Spoiler
    Show

You recall, somewhere along the line, there was some big political scandal in Kallean - on top of everything else. Seriously, those were some bad decades for them. You remember a book, supposedly penned by one of the handful of people who left the Longlea Massacre alive. At the time, you were fairly sure it was historical fiction. Fire and brimstone raining from the heavens. The world opening in great gashes to consume hundreds. That sort of power would be insane. Impossible, almost.

Most historical accounts agree that two of those mad sorcerers died in that massacre. Some think that only one perished then. You would not be surprised if they killed themselves, with all that raw magic bouncing around. The Longlea Massacre is notable in that it killed over twenty times more civilians than all the other battles of that old war put together. Because the Scar was once a fertile farmland. Hard to believe.

Hightower was brought down, quite literally, in the death throes of one of them. Just, the whole massive thing, down absolutely flat like a massive stone pancake.

The two in the Eastern Castle were desperate. The last of the seven. Some think it was the paladins. Some think it was suicide. Some think it was insanity. But everyone agrees that there were two, and they died there. Somewhere.
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2011-12-17 at 01:57 AM.

10. - Top - End - #910
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    ((Technically, I'm still kind of waiting for Savannah and Jallorn (and I realize it's Christmas, so family comes first), but I remembered there is one thing I really wanted to do, and I might as well get that out of the way. Sorry I took so long... and *poke* to you guys!))

Audric hesitates for a second, looking between Morten and Kurag, then seems to take a decision. "Morten" he says "Do you mind to step outside with me for a while? I would like to speak for a moment in private"
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2011-12-27 at 11:48 AM.

11. - Top - End - #911
    Ettin in the Playground

Mortren grumbles something guttural and incomprehensible to all of you, then nods and leaves the room. He takes his spear with him, you note.

Audric (and anyone else who feels like leaving the room)
    Spoiler
    Show

"What, paladin?" Mortren asks.

12. - Top - End - #912
    Ettin in the Playground

Ajadea (and other people who feel like leaving the room )
    Spoiler
    Show
    Audric looks over at Morten, noticing that he has chosen to come armed, and nods. He supposes he couldn't expect anything different. "I am asking you because as I understand it, you are Kurag's self-appointed guardian" he says "Can I trust him on his promise of not doing harm to the people? Are you going to make sure of it?" He is aware he is taking a pretty big gambit in leaving those people there without warning anyone, but for some reason, Morten strikes him as an honourable person. And he sounded sincere in his promise, earlier.

((sense motive - (1d20+9)[27]))
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2011-12-30 at 03:17 AM.

13. - Top - End - #913
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric and whoever else feels like leaving the room.
    Spoiler
    Show

Mortren grimaces. "Trust him? Nah. He's pretty good about following the letter of his promises, but he'll go through all the loopholes you leave. I'll try to keep him out of trouble an' all, but I can't watch him every moment. No promises."

14. - Top - End - #914
    Ettin in the Playground

Ajadea and theoretical others outsde
    Spoiler
    Show

Audric pinches the bridge of his nose and nods "I had suspected as much. I don't think I have the time nor the skill to consider all the possible technicalities, but he said he wouldn't harm people...I hope that will be something, at least." he pauses again-the only other suitable alternative he can see is to sic the Order on those people. Something he had promised not to do...and that he doesn't want to do either, to be honest. Another realization to file away under 'thoughts that make Audric uncomfortable' "I do not need another promise from you. Your first one was sufficient. I trust you will do what you can. And I thank you."

15. - Top - End - #915
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric
    Spoiler
    Show

Mortren shakes his head. "You're lucky I'm someone who you can trust with something bigger than a hunk of cheese then." he says. "Unlike the rest of 'em."

Sense Motive
    Spoiler
    Show

Mortren seems a little lost really. Deeply unhappy, certainly, though most likely not with the promises he's made to you. He doesn't trust you or the rest of Tavetiir. He has had a hundred years to build his biases, after all, and about half an hour or so of admittedly rather worldshatteringly-insane conversation isn't going to overturn his convictions. But you get the impression he doesn't trust the mystery warlord as much as he might have before.

Mortren reenters the room and throws his spear into a corner. Thankfully, it was not a corner near anyone in particular, and no one is hurt.

16. - Top - End - #916

Rana silently raises one eyebrow in a questioning look at Mortren's display of temper.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

17. - Top - End - #917
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric catches Rana's expression and shrugs a little. In a way, he can empathize with Morten's frustrations. "Fort Brennam, then." he says "I think we should prepare to leave." He looks around at the others, Paral included, to see if any of them has any objections or anything else to add.

18. - Top - End - #918

Rana nods. "We should probably see about getting some supplies first, though." She bites her lip and hesitates, "Think you can get me some more things from the Order?"
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

19. - Top - End - #919
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric visibly stiffens. The Temple. I had hoped to avoid it. he thinks, but he can't deny Rana is right. They are probably going to need healing supplies. "Ah...yes. Yes, I can." he says. His uneasiness is betrayed only by the small hesitation at the beginning of the sentence. "Provided you can afford them. I'm afraid I spent the last of my money on those scrolls I bought."

20. - Top - End - #920
    Bugbear in the Playground

Llaars

Stepping toward the door, Llaars lays a hand across his neck. "I suppose I might have a bit of spare coin in the till."

21. - Top - End - #921
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric smiles thankfully at Llaars "Good, at least this way I won't have to ask for credit." he jokes. He turns to Rana again "What would you need? Other scrolls?"

22. - Top - End - #922

After conferring with the group and pooling their money, Rana comes up with the spell list discussed OOC and hands her share of the money over to Audric.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

23. - Top - End - #923
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric goes to the temple and comes back a little more than an hour or so later, with scrolls. With most of your collective savings spent, and goodbyes said for those who need to say them, you depart. The road to Fort Brennam runs along the Iraness, at least until you get to Diamond Lake, at which point it takes a sharp turn east-ish. Arguably, taking a boat would be faster, if you've got the coin remaining and the stomach to spend a day and a half on a little boat laden with various goods rushing downstream as fast as the current can carry it. If not, there's a perfectly servicable and entirely free road that will take you to where you need to go, if at about one-fifth of the speed.

In the late afternoon, the bustle around the Sailor's Gate is winding up, though slowly. You probably wouldn't be noticed. Indeed, there are several keelboats waiting at the shore in case some passenger might notice them and let them earn more coin above the pay they earn for taking cargo up and down the river.
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2012-01-22 at 01:05 PM.

24. - Top - End - #924

Llaars

Mournfully staring into the empty sack that once held his savings, Llaars gently sighs. "Now that we got everythin' on your shoppin' list, how're we gettin' where we're goin'?"

25. - Top - End - #925
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric assesses the small keelboats and the river, before turning again towards his companions "We're moving towards Fort Brennam. I suppose we could take one of those boats down the river, until we reah the Diamond Lake. That would be much faster than using the road there, undoubtedly." He sighs, and looks at Rana, directing his next words to her "It would also mean a day and a half of travel in close quartiers with a human crew which could notice you. I'd like to lose as little time as possible, but I think that should be your choice."

26. - Top - End - #926

Rana grimaces. "I'd rather avoid the boat, but if we need to..."
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

27. - Top - End - #927
    Ettin in the Playground

"Unfortunately, I think we need to. The more time we lose, the more chance she has to harm other people." He smiles to Rana "Thank you for agreeing."

28. - Top - End - #928
    Ettin in the Playground

(arg... school begins again, and with it, a much heavier schedule...so sorry)

You make your way over to the docks and are almost immediately accosted by a halfling who can't be much more than a boy. His face is sprinkled with freckles and acne. As soon as you mention you're looking for passage on the boat, he begins babbling. "That's good! Great! Lemme just go get the boss. Er, don't go anywhere! I'll be right back in a sec!" A 'sec' turns out to be approximately six minutes.

The boy returns with a dwarven woman. Her threadbare coat is covered in pockets, some of which were clearly sewn on long after the coat was made. She is completely bald and doesn't seem to mind that at all. "So, you're looking for passage?" she asks, surveying you critically. Her eyes rest on Shadow for a moment, but she doesn't seem to notice anything. Or at least if she did, she doesn't care. "Any of you lot planning on helping us row?"

29. - Top - End - #929

Rana rests a hand on Shadow's head. At the woman's question, she glances rather hopefully at Audric and Llaars.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

30. - Top - End - #930

Llaars

The big man shrugs and steps forward. "I can't say I've ever spent time on a boat, but I'm pretty good with my hands. I can row."