New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,500 of 1500
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Wrong Guys IC II

Llaars

"Uh, you guys sure about this? I don't like the thought of gettin' led deeper into the woods, 'specially when there's a sword pointed at me."

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

"Agreed."

Rana looks at Mari, "I'm sorry but I'm sure that as a warrior you can see the danger in going with strange people to an unknown place based on their word alone that they mean you no harm."
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Troll in the Playground

They're not strange, they're halflings. We could break bread if it would make you feel better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

4. - Top - End - #1474

Rana looks at Antal for a long moment before saying "Yes, I know they're halflings. They're still strangers."
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Troll in the Playground

So you don't trust me then?
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #1476

Llaars

"Yeah, I trust you. That's sayin' somethin' considerin' some of the crazy stuff you've done. Still, you bein' just as tall as them don't mean a thing when they don't trust us enough to put away their weapons."

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Troll in the Playground

You don't put your weapons away, Antal commented with a touch of confusion. It's okay.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Ettin in the Playground

"Llaars, Rana... " Audric hesitates, unsure of how to put it in words. "We need their help. We... we cannot do this on our own, and I believe those people have been truthful in their offer. "

He turns back towards the newcomers, hands slightly spread in a conciliating gesture "Please, put your weapons away. I think it is clear that we will not attack you. "

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy? Just in case (1d20+12)[25]

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Ettin in the Playground

There is a pause. Then Mari slowly, deliberately, sheathes her blade. The steel rasps against the leather of her scabbard. She nods, once.

The halflings put away their weapons almost in unison, knives disappearing into folded cloth and bows swiftly unstrung. The angry archer hesitates for a moment, but her companion kicks her sharply in the shin, and she too disarms, scowling. Only the spear-wielder remains gripping his weapon, but to be fair, he does not appear to have anywhere else to put it.

You are not quite sure when or how, but the cloak-wearing halfling is suddenly standing much closer, head slightly inclined. Its pendant seems to have disappeared - in its place, there is a piece of round flatbread, tinted slightly yellow. The halfling carefully rips it in two, then four, then eight parts, and holds it out like an offering.

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric reaches out to take a piece of the bread, willing his hands to remain steady. He knows what an important ritual that is, and he doesn't want to mess it up. "Thank you" he says, bowing formally "May..." his voice breaks, and he has to swallow a couple of times to bring it back under control. He has to say it, though. "M-may Aldaran grant you his blessing."

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

11. - Top - End - #1481

Rana watches silently, waiting to see how the halflings react before she takes any of their bread.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

12. - Top - End - #1482
    Troll in the Playground

Antal takes the offered bread with a wide smile and a slight inclination of his head, and then immediately chows down.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1483
    Troll in the Playground

Tayet

Tayet keeps his head to the ground, eyes shut and head turned away, careful to keep his breathing the same rhythm. If things got sour, at least he'd have some distance and surprise.

Cape hops on top of Tayet's back, keeping an eye on the newcomers.
    Just finding my roots again.

14. - Top - End - #1484

RedWizardGuy

Smiling at the familiar ritual, Jess takes the bread and pops it into her mouth. "Probably should get on to the introductions." She says through a full mouth. "The group here is Choirboy, Wolfgirl, Sneaky, Beefsteak and Surly, though they insist that they're really called Audric, Rana, Antal, Laars and Tayet instead. I'm Jess, the charming one. Nice to meet." She ends this with a grin.
    Last edited by DeafnotDumb; 2013-03-03 at 02:05 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1485

Llaars

"That's more like it, now who're we sharing this with?" He takes his piece between two fingers and eats it in one bite.

16. - Top - End - #1486

Rana starts to open her mouth when Jess calls her "wolfgirl", but instead starts laughing silently when she gets to "beefsteak".

She finally takes a piece of bread, but turns it over in her hands rather than eating it -- still waiting to see the halflings try a piece before she's willing to eat it.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

17. - Top - End - #1487
    Ettin in the Playground

"An' may th' Sun guide ye," the cloaked halfling replies. Its voice is slightly gravelly and clarifies approximately nothing about its gender. Jess' unorthodox introduction provokes a flurry of whispered conversation, though Mari's face barely twitches in amusement and the cloaked one doesn't seem to react at all.

The bread it offered tastes slightly buttery and holds hints of some sort of herb. Even cold, it's not terrible. No one keels over or starts vomiting. The halfling nods and puts away the remaining chunks of flatbread somewhere in its voluminous cloak.

Suddenly, as the whispers wind down, the sack-bearing halfling breaks out laughing. The spear-wielder grumbles something, then kicks him in the shins, repeatedly, until the laughter dies down to a muffled snicker. "Ahm sorry abit mah lads. They can be a wee trooblesome a times. Noo, let's gang. Ye ur under uir wardin' noo." And with that, Mari turns and begins walking. The remaining halflings step closer, forming something between a short, cloaked, honor guard and a wall pushing you onwards.

18. - Top - End - #1488
    Troll in the Playground

Antal immediately gets to work chatting up the Halflings that'll talk to him. His newly acquired odd way of saying things and looking at things being at full showcase as he shares snippets of the party's tale in exchange for snippets about the Halflings.

Diplomacy (Inspired): (1d20+12)[30]
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1489
    Ettin in the Playground

Unlike the Halfling, Audric walks without trying to make conversation with anyone that doesn't approach him first. He is looking straight ahead with a blank expression, and his hands are still clenched at his side.

20. - Top - End - #1490

Rana follows along, clearly not entirely thrilled with the situation. After a few minutes, she moves closer to Audric and puts a hand on his back. [elven]"Something's wrong. What is it? Are the halflings dangerous?" she whispers, trying not to be overheard by the halflings and hoping they can't speak elven if she is.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

21. - Top - End - #1491
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric startles at her touch, further proof of how distracted he had been. . "N... No, I... " he starts, in Common, then he gathers himself and continues in Elven "It... It has nothing to do with them. You are not in danger, I promise. It is... I... I cannot speak about it now " Or, more to the point, he has no idea how to.
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2013-03-05 at 03:04 AM.

22. - Top - End - #1492

"I'm not worried about me, I'm worried about you."
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

23. - Top - End - #1493
    Ettin in the Playground

"Thank you. I... " He addresses her a brief smile, but there's a hint of restrained tears in his eyes. "I will tell you, but not now. When we are alone. ". It's not a conversation he's looking forward to have, but it's something his allies will need to know, anyway.

24. - Top - End - #1494

RedWizardGuy

Jess grins at Rana when the latter laughs, pleased at finally grabbing her victory, and afterwards settles into conversation with the people she's found herself with. "Ma and Da and Pa never really did say much about where they came from." She remarks casually. "They didn't much like whatever it that made them end up glad the city. Glad they came, though. But are there, y'know, fully Halfling communities outside the city that they might've come from? I've never been out." She confesses.

25. - Top - End - #1495

Rana nods and continues to walk next to Audric. Subtly, without looking at him, her hand inches towards his, a silent invitation.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

26. - Top - End - #1496
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric finds himself taking her hand without even fully realising what he's doing. It helps, a bit, making him feel slightly more grounded. "Thank you. " he whispers to her.

27. - Top - End - #1497

Rana doesn't say anything, but squeezes Audric's hand gently.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

28. - Top - End - #1498
    Ettin in the Playground

As most of the party begins to move, Tayet slumbers on, seemingly undisturbed by loud conversations or halflings beset by cackling laughter. The spear-wielding halfling walks up to him without fear and jabs at him, not quite hard enough to bruise, with the butt of his spear. "Up get, up. Yoo, mag-got." There is no inflection in the words, and pauses of arbitrary length seem to have been thrown between every syllable.
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2013-03-06 at 10:02 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1499
    Troll in the Playground

Tayet

"Man with weapon butt has worse common than me. Butt man, tell me. Why is common bad for you?" Tayet says, pulling his hood up as he rises. "Did you hide in forest for many time, too?"
    Just finding my roots again.

30. - Top - End - #1500
    Ettin in the Playground

The amount of Common spoken appears to have completely stupefied the halfling. "No. Speak no, speakin'," he says, looking bewildered.

The cloaked halfling chooses this moment to interject, as you begin walking on. "Some hae ne'er bin t' th' cities, ne'er had th' learnin'. Some hae lang bin hidin' in th' hills, like ye in th' forest, an' can spick only wee bits now. Still others hae the kennin's, but choose t' forget. Some things are better t' lose than t' hae."

The halflings seem to warm up to Antal quickly, chattering away in something that sounds vaguely like Common until you start listening closely. Jess's words seem to provoke considerably more confusion, and no one appears to have a response. Mari is slightly more forthcoming with answers, though understanding anything through an accent like hers is a chore by itself. "Jist few ay them, haur an' thaur. Fewer still 'at woods tak' th' likes ay yer ma an' pa. Nae much fur th' bigguns like ye, most." She does not look back when speaking, eyes fixed on some non-existent path in front of you. Every so often, she turns, or stops and surveys the horizon for a few moments before heading off in another direction, not always entirely forwards.

In the shadows, you can catch glimpses of yet more halflings - at least two and possibly five or more, always staying so shrouded in darkness and shadows that it is impossible to tell if they are always the same ones. They are not making an effort to stay silent in the least. You can hear their footsteps crunching through the grass alongside your own.

Halfling-speakers
    Spoiler
    Show
    The halflings are quite impressed at the snippets Antal gives. In return, they offer plenty of information. There are maybe 40 other halflings at camp, including elders and children. They are hunters, skinners, and bandits, all halflings born in the hills or adopted into this band after falling out of the graces of the city. They were planning on robbing you blind for trespassing into their territory. They don't kill people if they can help it - they take things, not lives. And they won't steal from other halflings or the helpless. Those of you who have eaten their bread and accepted their hospitality are not viable targets for robbery either. They are extremely vague about the potential fate of those who have not partaken of the bread.
    Mari is in charge - what she says goes. If she believes that there is a foe you are chasing, then the rest of them get some arms sized for big folk in a hurry. She is quite strongly religious, and in fact instantiated some of those rules against killing and such.
    Hilltopple, the literal translation of what more often refers to giant-slaying, is an honorific well-earned in battle - they say she's fought an ogre and lived to tell the tale, that she carries its fang with her and fears no foe living or dead. Though none of them, apparently, have seen this tooth, nor do they have anything other than 'everyone says so' to back up the claims of giantslaying.
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2013-03-15 at 08:56 PM.