New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Wrong Guys IC II

Well...a twenty-foot long pole proves to be highly difficult to manuever, but you sort of figure out how to stand at the edge of the 'dock' and lower the pole. It hits something hard when one and a half poles are underwater.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric takes a deep breath and shuts his eyes for a moment, then transfers his armor and backpack on the bottom of the boat and gets in himself, turning back and reaching out his hand to help the others to get on the boat.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

3. - Top - End - #183
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Rana pulls out her jerky treats again and starts coaxing Shadow into the boat. Handle animal (1d20+14)[27].
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ettin in the Playground

Shadow jumps into the boat, and it rocks from side to side, but (thankfully) doesn't capsize. He scarfs down the jerky and then goes to curl up under the canopy.

5. - Top - End - #185

Rana carefully climbs in after him. She eyes the pole doubtfully. "I don't think I'll be much help punting. Shall I sit in front and watch out for anything ahead?"
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric nods "I think between me and Laars we should be able to handle the boat maneuvering." he answers.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

7. - Top - End - #187
    Bugbear in the Playground

Llaars

Llaars holds the edge of the boat while everyone boards when a thought pops into his head. "I know we're not much for plannin' but what are we gonna do when we get to wherever we're goin' in this boat? Dontcha' think chasing a lady that can shoot fire outta her fingers in a dinghy is kinda... dumb?" He raises one hand in a half-shrug. "Not tryin' to be a buzzkill, but I just don't know what to expect from these people."

8. - Top - End - #188

Rana sighs. "I agree with you completely, Llaars, but I'm not sure that will be enough to dissuade those two," she nods towards Audric and Antal. "And we have a better chance of surviving this if we all stick together."
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric shakes his head "Do not think I am not aware of that " he says. His voice betrays how tired he is " Usually, I would send for the Order, ask for backup" he smiles a little, not in a particularly happy way "but as we are trying to rescue a sorcerer, it somehow doesn't strike me as a good strategy."

He pauses for a moment, then speaks again "I don't know what to expect either, or even if we are making the right decision. But I don't have other ideas, and I have to try it all the same. There is at least a life at stake".

Not to mention, I made a promise
    he adds to himself.
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2011-04-17 at 01:15 AM.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

Antal glares at Llaars, I don't care if she can make our heads explode with a single thought, I refuse to abandon Paral, his voice drips with unspoken threats.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry Nano, but Antal is really friggen stressed out now. He's an emotion bottler, and it's getting ready to blow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

11. - Top - End - #191

"Antal!" Rana sounds reproachful. "No one is suggesting abandoning Paral. But it does him no good if we get killed trying to reach him, now does it? Use your head; it's the only way we'll survive this."
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

You all fit in the rather wobbly boat, though Shadow has to lie next to and on some of your stuff and the pole keeps getting in the way as you carefully arrange yourselves on the seats. Judging by seats that are too short, the way it rocks every time anyone moves too swiftly-and every time Audric, Llaars, or Shadow really shift their weight to any serious degree-it wasn't made to hold anyone much more than half a foot taller than Rana.

13. - Top - End - #193

Llaars

Carefully getting into the boat and sitting near the Audric, Llaars grasps the pole and readies himself to help steer. "I'm ready to go." He takes a deep breath and uses an arm to gently push the boat away from the shore.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ettin in the Playground

Nothing much happens. The river is mercifully calm, a faint sort of tingling feeling in the air the only hint that something magical had ever happened here. Whatever had provoked the rocks themselves to roar like a predator doesn't seem to be immediately apparent.

Which, given your recent luck, probably means something's about to go horribly wrong.

Antal
    Spoiler
    Show

There is a splashing sound coming from in front of you.

Rana
    Spoiler
    Show

The water in front of the boat looks almost like it is boiling.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

I heard a splash up ahead! Antal says in an excited whisper.
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #196

Rana says softly, "I don't mean to alarm everyone, but I think there's something in front of us. The water almost looks like it's boiling."
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

You didn't delude yourself that this was going to be easy, did you?. Audric makes sure his sword is within easy reach, and very carefully leans forward to see if he can see what they are referring to. On a boat as unstable as this he is quite wary to make sudden moves.

spot - (1d20+3)[8]
    listen - (1d20+3)[16]
    EDIT: and detect magic, just because
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2011-04-22 at 03:28 PM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ettin in the Playground

(1d20+4)[24]
    (1d20)[16]

Audric
    Spoiler
    Show

The boiling patch of water is multicolored, glistening like oil, and you hear the sense of screaming-screaming that sounds all too familiar. Normal sight distorts and blacks as the noise and color builds to some sort of macabre crescendo-and then it recedes an instant before the spell snaps, screams turning to whispers and colors blending to brown as the water stops bubbling...

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

Those of you who are looking at the paladin can see him abruptly close his eyes, swaying a bit on the seat. His face has become ashen all of a sudden. He whispers something to himself, too low for you to catch, then opens his eyes again, and says in a more urgent tone "There is..." What exactly he doesn't know how to describe. He swallows. "There is powerful magic in there,the same as in the jar of tadpoles." And if that isn't the most inadequate explanation he could come up with... "We need to stay clear from it"

Spoiler
    Show
    ((OOC: or, you know, go to investigate it if you prefer. But since the sensation is very unpleasant for a paladin... )).

Ajadea: how big was the water patch? Could we manouver around it? Also, where are we - still underground?
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2011-04-22 at 04:09 PM.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ettin in the Playground

Strawberries, Savannah (Good Spot check has advantages)
    Spoiler
    Show

The boiling patch is 8 feet and shrinking rapidly, and you can probably get around it if it shrinks a little more.

You are still underground.
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2011-04-22 at 04:47 PM.

21. - Top - End - #201

Llaars

Shifting to use the wooden poles to slow their approach, Llaars leans back to offset Audrics weight shifting to the front. "What the hell kinda magic would be just sittin' in the middle of a river?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Str to slow down:(1d20+3)[13]

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric shakes his head "I don't think it's just sitting here. The water is boiling, more or less 8 feet across. I'd like to avoid to run into that patch if at all possible", he says, doing what he can to help Llaars manouver the boat. "Rana, Antal, keep an eye on it."

((Aid another on Llaars' strenght check (1d20+1)[10]))

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ettin in the Playground

The boat stops about thirty feet from the patch of bubbling water.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ettin in the Playground

He exales slowly, silently thanking Aldaran for having managed to stop the boat "I think we can steer around that, if we are careful". He doesn't like his own suggestion one bit: a magic that powerful in the middle of a river has to mean something. However, he is uncertain of what to do, expecially with a boat as little and unsteady as theirs. And he doesn't want to put his allies at risk.

He tries again to discern better the source of the danger, first with his normal senses, then, steeling himself, with his magic detection abilities. Keeping in mind the last experience, he is careful to look at the water last, after having examined the rest of his surroundings.

Spoiler
    Show
    To see if there are any changes - such as the patch having shrunk a bit more
    spot - (1d20+3)[13]
    listen - (1d20+3)[13]
    And again, detect magic, but this time focusing first everywhere else, and lastly on the water

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric
    Spoiler
    Show

The patch is still shrinking, and you think you hear more splashing-fainter this time.

Detect magic reveals nothing except the faintest traces of a thousand faded colors, the residue of what must have once been the spell that destroyed the first Attalin, hundreds of years ago. Brilliant magic, once, tinged with vengeance and blood. But now it is faded, crumbling, washed away by time and, no doubt, layers of dispelling magics left by the priests.

Some magic never fades.

The water around the boiling patch also lacks any notable amount of magic, but glancing at the patch again sends the same screams and blasts of color through your mind. Quieter this time...
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2011-04-23 at 11:04 PM.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

"I think it's fading, whatever it is" Audric says, in a tense voice "We have to manouver there, on the right, if we want to avoid it" he says, pointing to where he means for Llaars' benefit, since they are manouvring together.

Spoiler
    Show
    Uhm...strenght and profession again?
    STR - (1d20+1)[21]
    profession - (1d20+3)[23]

EDIT: . I...I think I'm going to cry a little .
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2011-04-25 at 01:59 AM.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground

Somehow you get around the boiling patch, narrowly avoiding scraping the rocks to your right. The patch continues to shrink, almost as if it is collapsing on itself. A couple minutes of drifting later, the bubbling behind you shrinks to a point and then with a plopping sound, disappears entirely. Now, please make a Will Save.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground

Will save: will - (1d20+7)[11]

29. - Top - End - #209
    Troll in the Playground

Will save: (1d20+2)[11]
    Show

30. - Top - End - #210

Rana (1d20+6)[15]
    Shadow (1d20+2)[18]
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.